PDA

View Full Version : Could a Woman compete in the NBA?

JasonJohnHorn
10-04-2012, 03:03 PM
This is a serious question. Obvioulsy when it comes to positions like center and power forward, and likely just as much small forward and shooting guard, it just would not be possible for a woman to compete with men on the floor. There is just too much stregnth and size needed for those positions. But in the NBA, many PGs are only around 6 feet and a buck 180. They don't rely on size and strength, but speed and quickness. The WNBA had a plethora of woman who are over 6 feet, though admittedly most of them don't play PG. But I remember when Sheryl Swoopes came out of college there were people who argued that, should she be able to move to the PG position, she COULD compete in the NBA. I honestly believe that if some of the taller women in the WNBA had a skill set of a PG, they could potentially compete in the NBA. I'm not saying they would dominate, or be all-stars, but I do believe a female PG could contribute and compete in the NBA.

Thoughts?

greg_ory_2005
10-04-2012, 03:05 PM
No. No. No.

Htownballa1622
10-04-2012, 03:07 PM
No.

Unless diana taurasi sat at the 3point line.

Still no

Andrew32
10-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Lisa Leslie could.

NoahH
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
No.

heyman321
10-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Not sure if srs....

P Harvy
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Absolutely not. Do you guys even remember something as small as the fact the size of the ball is different? Lol. Just no.

Rivera
10-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Hell yea but posters here will say no because we guys run ish

Id put money that sue bird or diana turasi can run an nba offense in the pg position...sure there D may not be advanced for the mens game but when women play men they actually play men with more heart, activity, and toughnss...yes toughness, they may not be stronger than guys but youd be surprise how dirty women can get when they play basketball

Id put money on bird, turasi, moore playing the pg running an nba offense and even putting up 8-12 ppg with 6-10 assists a game with better efficiency because women are generally better shooters than men

They wont be superstars but they would b solid role players, someone like griner i think would struggle cause her game is based on being biggerthan everyone her post game (offense) is lacking and she cant muscle the men around

But a player like sue bird or diana turasi someone with great smarts, high bball iq and unselfish ness someone who isnt a one dimensional player id say hell yea but id think any women who isnt a pg type thats 6-4 and up would struggle cause they dont have elite quickness or jumping ability

Basically id say if a woman was a pure pg she can play and if the woman is a 7 foot amazon whos big and has an offensive post game can work in the nba today

P Harvy
10-04-2012, 03:15 PM

Id put money that sue bird or diana turasi can run an nba offense in the pg position...sure there D may not be advanced for the mens game but when women play men they actually play men with more heart, activity, and toughnss...yes toughness, they may not be stronger than guys but youd be surprise how dirty women can get when they play basketball

Id put money on bird, turasi, moore playing the pg running an nba offense and even putting up 8-12 ppg with 6-10 assists a game with better efficiency because women are generally better shooters than men

They wont be superstars but they would b solid role players, someone like griner i think would struggle cause her game is based on being biggerthan everyone her post game (offense) is lacking and she cant muscle the men around

But a player like sue bird or diana turasi someone with great smarts, high bball iq and unselfish ness someone who isnt a one dimensional player id say hell yea but id think any women who isnt a pg type thats 6-4 and up would struggle cause they dont have elite quickness or jumping ability

Basically id say if a woman was a pure pg she can play and if the woman is a 7 foot amazon whos big and has an offensive post game can work in the nba today

Did I just see that a women PG would average 8-12 points and 6-10 assists a game? :facepalm:

I mean I'm not sexist but there is just no way. It's just a reality.

CousinsEvansDUO
10-04-2012, 03:17 PM
When the nba is full of mediocore and average players (baseically scrubs) like raja bell, matt boner, theo ratliff, derek fisher,. etc there's no reason a strong, atheltic woman can't destroy other weak scrubs. It's about genetics and it's about training. There are women out there who could be better competitors than even some all stars, so yes.

JasonJohnHorn
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
When the nba is full of mediocore and average players (baseically scrubs) like raja bell, matt boner, theo ratliff, derek fisher,. etc there's no reason a strong, atheltic woman can't destroy other weak scrubs. It's about genetics and it's about training. There are women out there who could be better competitors than even some all stars, so yes.

Theo Raliff? A scrub? Come on... he was a great rebounder and defender! He just had to deal with some injuries.

Rivera
10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Did I just see that a women PG would average 8-12 points and 6-10 assists a game? :facepalm:

Are you kidding? Have you seen sue bird or turasi play? There basketball iq is more advanced than most men in the nba they can anticipate very well

Plus there shots are amazing and if you leave them open they are hitting them

I actually play ball and i couldnt tell you how many tims ive seen women bust mens arse in basketball playing with mens basketballs in a legit 5 on 5...you really think that when the olympics happened that bird n tursai n the rest of the girls didnt have pickup games with the mens usa teams? Maybe not against eachother but id bet they mixed and matched and i bet some of the girls steppd up to play D on the men

To say "oh hell no" is just ignorant and close minded and those who say that must not have balled with women

They wont be superstars because of the elite athelticism men have but athletiticsm isnt the only thing that matters in the NBA or iggy, gerald green, prime vince carter, and a prime gerald wallace would have been the best player in the NBA

Athleticsm is only one part of the game

davids22
No way in hell.

That Brittany Griner dude maybe. When he is declaring for the draft anyway?

P Harvy

Put matt boner in the WNBA and he's arguably the greatest player of all time

P Harvy
No way in hell.

i c wat u did der

lol

rockbottom2010
10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
i know where this is going to....men are much much more athletic than females....the closest person to step on a nba floor is britney griner...shes a freak...i don't even know if i consider her a woman

rockbottom2010
10-04-2012, 03:25 PM
No way in hell.

april 2013...she'll be teammates with taurasi

knicksfan42
10-04-2012, 03:26 PM
The only people who are going to say yes are the ones that must never have watched women's basketball before. It is beyond horrendous. Most WNBA player couldn't make the starting line up for a JV High School team let alone the NBA.

This thread is laughably stupid.

"Can a 13 year old make it in the NBA?" Would be a better question.

Chronz
I would LOVE to find out the answer, obviously the men are superior but your going to tell me Turasi couldn't handle a Steve Kerr role?

Its odd because the best player I can think of in the WNBA is Lisa Leslie or Lauryn Jackson but the only ones I can think of sticking in the NBA are the perimeter players. I HIGHLY doubt the bigwomen they have can bang with our big boys. But why wouldn't a shooter hit an open shot?

Rivera
Im the opposite on griner....her game would suffer playing with men because her game relies on her athleticsm vs women her height vs women ....her post up game sucks her offensive footwork is terrible but she can jump block rebound and dunk in the womens game...she couldnt do that in mens games because she would be to short and weak

Which is why i use turasi and bird...there games are more complete and advanced , there basketball smart, and you can hide a pg on defense ...you cant exactly hide a 6 foor 9 player on D

Rivera
10-04-2012, 03:29 PM
I would LOVE to find out the answer, obviously the men are superior but your going to tell me Turasi couldn't handle a Steve Kerr role?

Its odd because the best player I can think of in the WNBA is Lisa Leslie or Lauryn Jackson but the only ones I can think of sticking in the NBA are the perimeter players. I HIGHLY doubt the bigwomen they have can bang with our big boys.

This is my thinking as well. Perimeter wnba players would be far more successful than bigger woman

Hell id rather have turasi and bird right now over pgs like:

Boobie gibson, keyon dooling, cj watson, chris duhon, etc etc

todu82
10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
No, can't see it happening ever.

Max Power
10-04-2012, 03:33 PM
If the were good enough, they'd be there. So no

nickdymez
10-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Hell no

jmaest
10-04-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm on the "yes" side as well.

I understand different generations view the game differently but in the NBA, today, there's less than a handful of complete players. Tim Duncan, Lebron, and I can't think of another right now. 20-30 years ago every player on the court had to be skilled at multiple facets of the game: defense, passing, rebounding, scoring from the outside, scoring from the inside by driving to the basket, post-up scoring, etc.

In today's game players are more athletic than they are polished. That's why European players have done well in the modern NBA because they have more polish than athleticism.

I think a Taurasi, for example, can easily be a PG off the bench or spot shooter in the NBA right now. Easily. She's a better defender right now than Steve Nash has ever been.

Do I think a woman could be a "star" in the NBA? No. I don't. But a player that can have impact with positive contributions? Absolutely.

JasonJohnHorn
10-04-2012, 03:41 PM

Its odd because the best player I can think of in the WNBA is Lisa Leslie or Lauryn Jackson but the only ones I can think of sticking in the NBA are the perimeter players. I HIGHLY doubt the bigwomen they have can bang with our big boys. But why wouldn't a shooter hit an open shot?

This is exactly how I feel. Obviously the centers and power forwards of the WNBA wouldn't be able to compete, they are much smaller both height wize and weight wize than NBA players, and not as strong.

But a traditional PG, or even a spot-up PG like Paxon, Kerr and Chalmbers... why wouldn't some WNBA players be able to do that in the NBA. I think if Sue Bird was 6'1 instead of 5'9, she could play minutes ina regular rotation in the NBA. I mean, look at Matt Bonner... for the most part, he's not getting a ton of minutes. But in the last minute and half of the quarter when Pop wants to spread the floor, he throws Bonner in to jack up a three. Now bonner is a center, but coaches do the same thing with SGs and PGs. Some of these women in the WNBA are AMAZING shooters...

I think there are some women who could earn a living in the NBA.

b@llhog24
10-04-2012, 03:46 PM
I saw CED bring up Derrick Fisher, he'd probably be the MVP if he played in the WNBA. So doubt it.

torocan
10-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Muggsy Bogues was 5'3", weighed 141 pounds and played very well at the PG position in the NBA for a 14 year career.

That there has never been a woman player in the NBA doesn't mean that a woman couldn't be a solid player at the PG position, or off the bench in a shooting capacity.

Heck, Steve Novak can't play a lick of defense, can't post up worth a darn, and he's still a valuable asset on the right team.

A woman could concievably do well as a pass first point guard with outside shooting. Would they be competitive in terms of driving and post up? Probably not so much. However, pass and shoot or sticking to outside shooting is far from far fetched.

Basketball is about more than strength and athleticism (though they absolutely help). Floor awareness, strong passing, and the ability to read the defense can make up for a lot.

That said, I just don't see us ever finding out for sure unless the WNBA folds or a NBA team decides to take a chance on someone that pans out.

As for the "if they were good enough they'd be there" argument, I find that a logically suspect argument. A woman would have to overcome numerous hurdles and built in biases to even get a shot at the NCAA level. Given the failure rate of division 1 players to even get to the NBA, how few players have actually cycled through the NBA, how women have been deterred from even university level athletics until relatively recently historically, it's not surprising at all that we haven't seen a professional woman playing in the NBA, especially given the advent of the WNBA.

Just because it hasn't happened yet does not mean that it could never happen (or happen again if you go strictly by draft selections).

**Let's also not forget that the NBA has drafted Women 2x in the past. Denise Long unofficially in 1969, and Lusia "Lucy" Harris officially in 1973... both times the NBA voided the draft selections before either could play a game. While it is arguable that Denise Long was a publicity stunt (she was drafted out of high school averaging 62.8 points per game) in a time when people didn't draft out of high school, and there were many who questioned whether Lusia could have competed, we've never actually had the opportunity to truly put the premise to the test.

Max Power
10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
I saw CED bring up Derrick Fisher, he'd probably be the MVP if he played in the WNBA. So doubt it.

Probably?

icon1914
10-04-2012, 03:56 PM

A NBA "scrub" as you put it would probably average 25+ points in the WNBA. I'm not saying some women couldn't get some minutes in the NBA, but they wouldn't last. They don't have the size or strength to guard NBA players, not for 82 games. I can't imagine

netsgiantsyanks
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
brittney griner could, considering she's a man in secret.

b@llhog24
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
Probably?

He's not that charismatic :shrug:

ciaban
10-04-2012, 04:12 PM
This is a serious question. Obvioulsy when it comes to positions like center and power forward, and likely just as much small forward and shooting guard, it just would not be possible for a woman to compete with men on the floor. There is just too much stregnth and size needed for those positions. But in the NBA, many PGs are only around 6 feet and a buck 180. They don't rely on size and strength, but speed and quickness. The WNBA had a plethora of woman who are over 6 feet, though admittedly most of them don't play PG. But I remember when Sheryl Swoopes came out of college there were people who argued that, should she be able to move to the PG position, she COULD compete in the NBA. I honestly believe that if some of the taller women in the WNBA had a skill set of a PG, they could potentially compete in the NBA. I'm not saying they would dominate, or be all-stars, but I do believe a female PG could contribute and compete in the NBA.

Thoughts?
because of the variety of small forwards i think there are women that could play that position, look at the durrantula he really isn't that strong, coming out of college he was benching like 130.

Forgot Sheryl Swoops Cheyrl Miller could have done it for sure.

jericho
10-04-2012, 04:22 PM
griner would suck in the nba wnba pf and center would have no shot at all but pg and shooters would like a taurasi or bird

Go_NUGGETS
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM
**** no...Man evolved in history as hunters and gatherers in ancient times--and this programmed men to be physically more built than women over the thousands of years. Women would stay home and nurture.

My point?

It's easy for a fine tuned athlete male, to body up on a fine tuned female athlete. I would love to see any one of them WNBA girls, try to guard Ty Lawson. Dude is solid, and bodies up on bigger player like Mbenga and Bynum when doing layups.

I just don't see it. I'm trying my hardest to rationalize the skillsets i've seen watching WNBA, while determining if those skillsets can translate around male athletes--And nooo...I don't think.

I've balled with legit female ballers (Division 2 and 3 colleges), and once the physical gets asserted, they can't hang.

2-ONE-5
10-04-2012, 04:28 PM

i will glady take your money on that

Go_NUGGETS
10-04-2012, 04:29 PM
Unfortunately you need strength, and good athletic ability to go along with the speed and quickness that female players have....Ty Lawson has crazy speed and quickness, but if he didn't have the strength--he wouldn't be able to do the crazy layups and others things he does on bigger players.

Big Zo
10-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Chris Bosh isn't a woman?

There, I got it outta the way for you guys...

RowBTrice
10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
This thread makes me LOL. Not a ******* chance.

diu9leilomo
10-04-2012, 04:39 PM

I knew thats coming up

Kashmir13579
10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
If they have a ridiculous basketball IQ maybe the PG spot.

mvb815
10-04-2012, 04:41 PM
if anyone needs any more evidence of no just watch the womens gold medal game that just happened

i would have dropped 30 and 15 boards in that game easy

Daze9900
10-04-2012, 04:49 PM
Umm no. On the offensive end their may be some women that could hold their own possibly even score a few buckets but they'd get destroyed defensively. There is no position that a professional female player would be able to play and not get into foul trouble on the men's level. The end.

Daze9900
10-04-2012, 04:50 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3HczryaFW4&feature=player_embedded though Telfair seemed to have problems with Cappie Pondexter lol.

JasonJohnHorn
10-04-2012, 04:51 PM

It's nice to hear that from a Heat fan... lol

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 04:59 PM
No. Anyone who thinks a woman could succeed in the NBA is crazy. Not yet anyways. There may be a time when a women who is big, strong, and fast, and capable of guarding NBA players (that is the biggest problem) comes along, but I haven't seen one yet.

dwilly4rilly
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Did anybody just watch the olympics a few months ago? Sexism has nothing to do with the facts that women are slower, cannot jump as high, are less agile, and are not as strong as men. Are there some outstanding women athletes? Of course. Are they even close to their male counterparts? No. The NBA players are the best of the best. There are thousands of D league, foreign league, college, and even some highschool players that are much better than EVERY woman in the WNBA. They should make the league before a woman. However, for publicity purposes only, I could see it happening.

alexander_37
10-04-2012, 05:02 PM
I think the whole women are better shooters is somewhat overblown. The NBA has way way way better defenders than the WNBA. It's like trying to shoot against Lowry, Rose, Williams vs shooting against ... well a woman. They're defensive schemes are less complex and intense.

alexander_37
10-04-2012, 05:02 PM
no. Anyone who thinks a woman could succeed in the nba is crazy. Not yet anyways. There may be a time when a women who is big, strong, and fast, and capable of guarding nba players (that is the biggest problem) comes along, but i haven't seen one yet.

100%

Rivera
10-04-2012, 05:06 PM
No. Anyone who thinks a woman could succeed in the NBA is crazy. Not yet anyways. There may be a time when a women who is big, strong, and fast, and capable of guarding NBA players (that is the biggest problem) comes along, but I haven't seen one yet.

If the woman was a pg and had great attributes like bird/turasi (high bball iq, deadly shot, great anticipation, good enough speed) you can hide your pg on defense

I dont think steve nash has even gotten back on D once in his 34 year career (or at least was interested) or monta ellis fo that matter .... earl boykins, muggsey bouges, spudd webb were all undersized and werent the strongest (except boykins he was a beast) werent great defenders easier

My point is you an hide a PG on defense ever team in the nba today can hide there pg on defense especially with bigs who play D

And ive bet bird/turasi played pickup games against the boys (nba) and held there own, hell i remember watching turasi and maya moore absolutley destroy some players on the mens team

I remember in a pickup game watching uconn practice turasi absoultley destroy tarek brown? (Pg for okafor/gordon cant remember name was starting pg for uconn) and uconns mens won the chip

dhopisthename
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
I think the whole women are better shooters is somewhat overblown. The NBA has way way way better defenders than the WNBA. It's like trying to shoot against Lowry, Rose, Williams vs shooting against ... well a woman. They're defensive schemes are less complex and intense.

plus the mens ball is larger, the 3pt line is further out, and like you said there are better, faster, and quicker players in the nba so you rarely get wide open like I have seen in the few times I have watched a wnba game

lamzoka
10-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Women can not play basketball. period!!!

lamzoka
10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
The best WNBA point guard would not be able to dribble the ball past midcourt in full court press in the NBA

JWO35
10-04-2012, 05:11 PM
I voted yes thinking the poll was the same as the Thread title...but as a PG, I don't think so. But if a female was legit 6'8+ and defensively sound(or an outside scorer) I think there's a good chance of her being successful

NYYCowboys
10-04-2012, 05:19 PM
No way. Just will never happen. They aren't strong, fast or athletic enough to even sniff the NBA. And women have a brain a third the size of a mans...it's science.

MintBerryCrunch
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
A high school men's basketball team could beat a WNBA team

odiz
10-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Theres absolutely no way in hell. Some women I'm sure could be adequate Matt Bonner/Jason Kapono type perimeter players on offense, but when you consider how good the perimeter defenders are in this league that is all they would be able to do: Knock down open shots, every other part of their game would be a liability. Imagine a WNBA player trying to guard Kobe or Wade or Deron Williams. They would have no chance.

NYKINFL
10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
In all honesty, the nba is soft! I wish a few females would challenge the nba to get in. Maybe then we could have some real rule changes to make the game tougher.

LongWayFromHome
10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
If a woman like Sue Bird could make even a euro pro mens team she would. WNBA players make under $100k

StarvingKnick22
10-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Anybody who can be classified at atleast a class "B" PG can compete.

rocket
10-04-2012, 06:15 PM
**** no.

Men are too physical for women.

jon32
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
another chris bosh bashing thread ?? LEAVE HER ALONE !!!

Thegame187
10-04-2012, 06:21 PM

you also missed the "Women are generally better shooters" part as well

:facepalm:

Bishnoff
10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
No. And it's an insult to all the college players who don't make it, D League players who don't make it, and guys that sit at the end of an NBA bench night in, night out to even suggest this.

I don't care how skillful a woman is, or how good a shooter she is; women can't compete directly against men in physical sports.

pedrofan45
10-04-2012, 06:26 PM
NO! she would get absolutely man-handled on defense.. pun intended

cuttydoesit6
10-04-2012, 06:33 PM
they most def could

they need a nice meal after a big long game!

Korman12
10-04-2012, 06:35 PM
It'd be hard.

KnickaBocka.44
10-04-2012, 06:42 PM
No way in hell.

Not sure if this has been answered but she is going to be in the draft this year and the Phoenix Mercrury just won the lottery which means she'll be teaming up with Diana Taurasi who has led her team to 2 WNBA championships in the past 4 years when healthy.

smith&wesson
10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
never say never. i think it is possible.

a female played in the nhl. . .

DubbyDubbs
10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
doubt it

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
If the woman was a pg and had great attributes like bird/turasi (high bball iq, deadly shot, great anticipation, good enough speed) you can hide your pg on defense

I dont think steve nash has even gotten back on D once in his 34 year career (or at least was interested) or monta ellis fo that matter .... earl boykins, muggsey bouges, spudd webb were all undersized and werent the strongest (except boykins he was a beast) werent great defenders easier

My point is you an hide a PG on defense ever team in the nba today can hide there pg on defense especially with bigs who play D

And ive bet bird/turasi played pickup games against the boys (nba) and held there own, hell i remember watching turasi and maya moore absolutley destroy some players on the mens team

I remember in a pickup game watching uconn practice turasi absoultley destroy tarek brown? (Pg for okafor/gordon cant remember name was starting pg for uconn) and uconns mens won the chip

You can't hide them in the NBA. They don't have the lateral quickness of a smallish man player, and would be physically overwhelmed, there is no way around it. I know you are trying to make a case, but in a sport that is SO dependent on size, strength, and speed, I just haven't seen a woman capable of playing at the NBA level.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 07:32 PM
Look, many of the dominant womens college team practice against guys. Guys who couldn't even make a college roster. And the guys win a lot of the scrimmages. Pat Summit did it forever, Connecticut does it I believe, etc. Basketball is just too dependent on physical factors that women don't possess. It's not an insult to them, it's just reality.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 07:33 PM
never say never. i think it is possible.

a female played in the nhl. . .

I have no doubt that eventually some complete freak woman will be born and come up the ranks and be able to play at a very high level. But there isn't one around right now, unless she is like 3. Evolution happens. Look at the Williams sisters. One is 6'1", 170 lbs, the other is an NFL RB. Eventually some woman will come along with comparable size/strength/speed to elite men basketball players.

Jeff559
10-04-2012, 07:46 PM

This. LOL

49erGiantLaker
10-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Could? Yes. Anytime soon? No.

5ass
10-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Maybe if she blew the refs whistles before and after every game, naw mean?

yankeeswin27
10-04-2012, 08:01 PM
LOL what a joke.

3ballbomber
10-04-2012, 08:02 PM
I voted no but w/ all the flopping, drama queens who want fouls called w/ the brush of the skin and the no hand checking rules today women could possibly strive in the mens league.

cbs9889
10-04-2012, 08:05 PM
a wnba team can beat the 2011 bobcats so yes lol

yankeeswin27

HAH and you think she would have the strength to go up against nba big men?This thread is a complete joke

kenzo400

Are you talking **** about Boner? He's already, the greatest of all time. You should know that!

Tha Truth
10-04-2012, 08:08 PM
No chance. That's why the two leagues are seperate.

Kaspa
10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Why not....Lebron has done pretty well for herself so far.

jmaest
10-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I'm seeing an awful lot of male chauvinist responses. I hope some of you realize that the same mentality you have right now, towards women in the NBA, is very similar to the mentality that kept Black players out of MLB and the NBA for years and years.

Over the years men with very small statures have played and played well in the NBA. I see no reason why a woman couldn't compete. I certainly think women can be strong enough. We all watched with our own two eyes an NBA championship team that absolutely hated physical contact.

So if I was going to point to a physical limitation it might be speed. The WNBA is fundamentally better than the NBA BUT it's slower.

I digress, as someone else pointed out the NBA is so soft today that they created a fine for flopping. Flopping people. It's turned into Soccer.

Knicks21
10-04-2012, 08:22 PM
I dont see why not, if she is good enough then yes she could compete. A lot of you are in denial.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
I'm seeing an awful lot of male chauvinist responses. I hope some of you realize that the same mentality you have right now, towards women in the NBA, is very similar to the mentality that kept Black players out of MLB and the NBA for years and years.

Over the years men with very small statures have played and played well in the NBA. I see no reason why a woman couldn't compete. I certainly think women can be strong enough. We all watched with our own two eyes an NBA championship team that absolutely hated physical contact.

So if I was going to point to a physical limitation it might be speed. The WNBA is fundamentally better than the NBA BUT it's slower.

I digress, as someone else pointed out the NBA is so soft today that they created a fine for flopping. Flopping people. It's turned into Soccer.

I mean, that is it. Speed/Size/Strength. Women just have no answer for men. That is why, at the moment, there is not a grown woman on the planet who could compete in the NBA.

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2012, 08:23 PM
Absolutley not

mvb815
10-04-2012, 08:26 PM

i'm sure every no in this thread would change their mind if a woman with the skill and ability arose

this is 2012 people aren't sexist or racist like they used to be quite as much

i bet if a woman did make it and only got bench warmer minutes people like you would call that sexist, there are tons of qualified nba players that don't get minutes as it is. so unless a woman with an insane amount of skill came out men wont win this argument.

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2012, 08:31 PM
This is my thinking as well. Perimeter wnba players would be far more successful than bigger woman

Hell id rather have turasi and bird right now over pgs like:

Boobie gibson, keyon dooling, cj watson, chris duhon, etc etc

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

j11430
10-04-2012, 08:36 PM
Considering Brittney Griner is pretty much the best female player ever and even should couldn't do **** in the NBA, I doubt it'd ever happen. But if a woman was a good enough shooter it's possible. I just don't think a good enough shooting female has existed yet

jmaest
10-04-2012, 08:38 PM
i'm sure every no in this thread would change their mind if a woman with the skill and ability arose

this is 2012 people aren't sexist or racist like they used to be quite as much

i bet if a woman did make it and only got bench warmer minutes people like you would call that sexist, there are tons of qualified nba players that don't get minutes as it is. so unless a woman with an insane amount of skill came out men wont win this argument.

I think you misunderstood what I wrote--or at the very least you feel like I called you out and if you're feeling guilty then maybe you should explore that on your own time.

What I said, very clearly, is that some of the responses have been very chauvinistic in nature.

For you to say that I would call someone sexist for not giving a woman enough playing time is just stupid. You have no basis for that statement.

Fact is I responded to, and am continuing to reference the question of the thread. "Could a woman compete in the NBA?" And I wholeheartedly believe a woman can. Looking at the game as it stands today I completely believe a woman can find a roster spot somewhere.

All the arguments that have been made are either physical or mental and that's completely unfair. I personally think the WNBA game is slower than the NBA game BUT that doesn't mean that there aren't women who could compete at the faster pace. As for strength and all that, the game is nowhere near as physical as it used to be so all the comments of banging and physicality are overstated completely.

Why a woman would want to is another argument all together. First there's a ton of men competing for spots and there's a d-league with even more men waiting to compete too. Women have their own league, make their own money, and get their own playing time.

nyballa1991
10-04-2012, 08:49 PM
No effin way.. anyone who thinks so is just stupid in my opinion. put the worst player in the nba in the wnba and he would dominate.

IndyRealist
10-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Cheryl Miller could have. I have little doubt she could have played combo guard in the NBA.

ewing
10-04-2012, 10:04 PM
Absolutely not. any player in the NBA would average at aleast 162 points in the WNBA

ewing
10-04-2012, 10:05 PM
LeBron would average at least 300

ewing
10-04-2012, 10:11 PM
I think you misunderstood what I wrote--or at the very least you feel like I called you out and if you're feeling guilty then maybe you should explore that on your own time.

What I said, very clearly, is that some of the responses have been very chauvinistic in nature.

For you to say that I would call someone sexist for not giving a woman enough playing time is just stupid. You have no basis for that statement.

Fact is I responded to, and am continuing to reference the question of the thread. "Could a woman compete in the NBA?" And I wholeheartedly believe a woman can. Looking at the game as it stands today I completely believe a woman can find a roster spot somewhere.

All the arguments that have been made are either physical or mental and that's completely unfair. I personally think the WNBA game is slower than the NBA game BUT that doesn't mean that there aren't women who could compete at the faster pace. As for strength and all that, the game is nowhere near as physical as it used to be so all the comments of banging and physicality are overstated completely.

Why a woman would want to is another argument all together. First there's a ton of men competing for spots and there's a d-league with even more men waiting to compete too. Women have their own league, make their own money, and get their own playing time.

I played d3 and dated a girl who played for Rutgers when they were top 10 in the nation. I was a lot better then them. Guys are naturally more athletic in general. The pool of athletes trying to play in the NBA is made of most naturally gifted guys and it is enormous. The girls pool, not so much. I like girls basketball. Its just that they arent as good

bagwell368
10-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Didn't the Bucks bring in a big shot female player in the 80's? And after 1 practice she quit, she said if I recall correctly that it was very rough, and that they were much stronger and faster then she was.

I have not as of yet seen a women that could play NBA ball. Change that over to competing with D3 players? Then yeah, probably a few could hold their own.

Knowledge
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
Hawes is already in the league, why ask this question now?

ColtsSpursTerps
10-04-2012, 10:37 PM
**** no

bucketss
10-04-2012, 10:39 PM

:facepalm:

ewing
10-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Didn't the Bucks bring in a big shot female player in the 80's? And after 1 practice she quit, she said if I recall correctly that it was very rough, and that they were much stronger and faster then she was.

I have not as of yet seen a women that could play NBA ball. Change that over to competing with D3 players? Then yeah, probably a few could hold their own.

Exactly, i sure there was some girls who could beat me in my prime. anyone who actually makes the league not so much

I Rock Shaqs
10-04-2012, 10:45 PM
LOL @ this thread, like seriously does anybody really think there is going to be a major sport, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer, Football, Baseball, where men and women both play together?

Revolu7i9n
10-04-2012, 10:54 PM
hahaha!

YEDN90
10-04-2012, 11:22 PM
It might be possible some day, but I dont think right now it is.

MetroMan
10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
Wait if she Is on the court how will the dishes be cleaned?

MetroMan
10-04-2012, 11:41 PM
If she wants to grab some balls she can do that somewhere else

beasted86
10-04-2012, 11:50 PM
No, 99% of women cannot compete in the NBA. A scrub like Chris Quinn would dominate if he played in the WNBA.

There is possibly a 1% out there who are 4th string material like Chris Quinn. But I don't call that "competing" rather just making a roster.

PleaseBeNice
10-04-2012, 11:58 PM
No. Look at Jimmer Fredette

Underdogz∞
10-05-2012, 12:08 AM
High School - definitely

College - maybe

NBA - NO

And that aint discredit to women

bomahs161
10-05-2012, 01:01 AM
i voted no. but as a knick fan i'm willing to bet that a sue bird could have ran the knick offense better than toney douglas did last year. and i'm dead serious about that.

carnage101
10-05-2012, 01:11 AM
i can just imagine mwp elbowing this chick in the face causing a broken nose. She sues the nba because her nose is broken. smh let the women play in the wnba.

Rivera
10-05-2012, 12:28 PM
You can't hide them in the NBA. They don't have the lateral quickness of a smallish man player, and would be physically overwhelmed, there is no way around it. I know you are trying to make a case, but in a sport that is SO dependent on size, strength, and speed, I just haven't seen a woman capable of playing at the NBA level.

your telling me real NBA teams dont hide players such as:

steve novak
steve nash
mike dunleavy
mona ellis
jimmer ferdette
muggsey bouges
earl boykins etc etc

on defense? its easy to hide a small guard on defense especially with great bigs

steve nash is always guarding the teams worst player or the teams worst offense player generally spot up shooters

you cant tell me women cant guard spot up shooters or non offensive players like:

thabo sefalosha
steve novak
jason kapono
james jones etc etc etc?

if those players are going off on you or carrying the burden on offense for trying to dominate a female then thats a win for the team with the female...id much rather have the ball in these types of players hands then the stars on the team and if the male testorone kicks in and these guys want to dominate or show off cause a woman is guarding them again its a win for the team with the woman on it because the wrong player is dominating

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 02:01 PM
your telling me real NBA teams dont hide players such as:

steve novak
steve nash
mike dunleavy
mona ellis
jimmer ferdette
muggsey bouges
earl boykins etc etc

on defense? its easy to hide a small guard on defense especially with great bigs

steve nash is always guarding the teams worst player or the teams worst offense player generally spot up shooters

you cant tell me women cant guard spot up shooters or non offensive players like:

thabo sefalosha
steve novak
jason kapono
james jones etc etc etc?

if those players are going off on you or carrying the burden on offense for trying to dominate a female then thats a win for the team with the female...id much rather have the ball in these types of players hands then the stars on the team and if the male testorone kicks in and these guys want to dominate or show off cause a woman is guarding them again its a win for the team with the woman on it because the wrong player is dominating

umm no they can't. and you know why? b/c not even NBA players can guard them b/c their defenders would have to help double on the stars. Then these spot up shooters would have a field day. There aren't even that many NBA players that could get back to guard these open spot up shooters. These NBA spot up shooters are better shooters than any woman playing in the NBA.

yankeeswin27
10-05-2012, 06:03 PM

no no no completly diffrent.

Find me a women in the nba that can play in the post with howard and bynum find me a women that can defend Lebron/ Melo/ Bryant find me a woman that has the speed to keep up with drose. No such thing and i dont care what anyone says. Women are not as fast or as big as men thats a fact.

yankeeswin27
10-05-2012, 06:04 PM
The best 5 wnba players would get ran out of the building against any 5 nba players at their position. I truly believe that

Rivera
10-05-2012, 06:10 PM
umm no they can't. and you know why? b/c not even NBA players can guard them b/c their defenders would have to help double on the stars. Then these spot up shooters would have a field day. There aren't even that many NBA players that could get back to guard these open spot up shooters. These NBA spot up shooters are better shooters than any woman playing in the NBA.

They cant guard them or they dont? You said it yourself they double on there stars but if you have a woman on a team with nba players she would never go to help double off those shooters you bolded unless she gambles for a steal

Theres a big difference between nba players cant guard them and nba players dont guard them.

RLundi
10-05-2012, 06:14 PM
LOL! Not a chance in hell. No sexism, but women would get absolutely obliterated by NBA players. Conversely, even the most pathetic NBA player today would be a 25-time MVP in the WNBA, right up to the point when he turns 60. Hell, I'd probably make a few all-star teams myself. It's just a different game between men and women. I don't ever see any woman making it in the NBA, unless she is a hermaphrodite with enormous feet.

85BearsDefense
10-05-2012, 06:39 PM
No chance lol high school men's basketball teams have beaten WNBA teams....

85BearsDefense
10-05-2012, 06:41 PM
Anyone who thinks women can compete in th NbA should be banned for being a moron.

ichitownclowni
10-05-2012, 06:42 PM
No

RaiderKid318
10-05-2012, 07:03 PM
Lol no

Storch
10-05-2012, 07:25 PM
A girl in the nba would average so many free throws.

brodawgs
10-05-2012, 07:30 PM
To put this in perspective, lets look at a lower level of play.

When I was in middle school I was on the B team, we were middle of the pack 4-4. Our A team girls went undefeated and thought they could beat our A team guys easily, who had only won one game. So a couple of A team bench players and 3 of the starting 5 B team players went just us 5 against the A team girls, bench and all. We got one of our gym teachers, a woman, to referee it. We won 21-4.

The bottom line is, only the most exceptional defenders in the girls game could even barely compare to the average male defender, this would apply to the WNBA and NBA as well. Those star PG girls don't go up against the best defenders in their league every night, so in comparison they look so good because the opposition defense level is leaps and bounds below even sub-par NBA defender.

That said, a handful of the best shooters could be a spot up shooter in the NBA, there's no reason not to believe that, and if any of the big women were to go up against the big men, they would likely sustain serious injury.

Minimal
10-05-2012, 08:21 PM
No way.
Only the best of the best get into the NBA. A female PG wouldn't have a chance in the euroleague even, not talking about NBA...

koreancabbage
10-05-2012, 08:57 PM
They cant guard them or they dont? You said it yourself they double on there stars but if you have a woman on a team with nba players she would never go to help double off those shooters you bolded unless she gambles for a steal

Theres a big difference between nba players cant guard them and nba players dont guard them.

both.

First guys will just post them up and thats the end of it - unstoppable. Men are generally bigger and woman can't match up physically (men are just bigger than woman when it comes to physical matchups). Kapono will look like an allstar.

Second of all, the woman will most likely be the weakest defender (due to physical traits) and would be in most cases, posted up time in and time out every single possession. she would take a beating.

but i'm not second guessing skill wise, the game requires great amount of athleticism and size. she's a liability on defence

if there is anything that a woman can't compete with is physicality of the sport. i'm not denying the skills of a woman, can she handle the grind of an 82 game season being knocked around.

osmosis da kid
10-05-2012, 09:31 PM
1. Women only play 43 games in a season compared to the 82 games plus the playoff's "IF YOU MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFF'S". That would cause to much wear and tear on a woman's body.

2. Ball size the woman's ball is a lot smaller than a man that means whoever's playing would have to condition themselves to shoot with a bigger ball with a bigger, quicker defender coming you don't have to time to adjust your shot

3. just imagine Sue Bird going up again Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Irving, Rubio, Williams, Paul, Nash, Wall, Parker Are you serious ? someone in the forum said she could drop 13 points with 8 - 10 assist those are Rubio numbers some people live in a fantasy land.

Oldmantrash
10-05-2012, 09:43 PM
Any player in the NBA would be the best player in the WNBA.

JordansBulls
10-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Maybe Cynthia Cooper

MrfadeawayJB
10-06-2012, 12:46 AM
this question is disrepectful to all NBA Players, D-League players, overseas professionals, NCAA Mens basketball players, and even high school kids who one day aspire to be in the NBA

Captain Moroni
10-06-2012, 01:08 AM
Not unless Lebron and Kobe had a girl

Captain Moroni
10-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Any player in the NBA would be the best player in the WNBA.

Without a doubt. Any player in the dleague would be the best player in the WNBA.

mekedubs
10-06-2012, 01:43 AM
Sure a woman could.... Just look at Pau Gasol....

Lakers4life08
10-06-2012, 02:55 AM
Offcourse, this girl : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZqK9yPkN4

Is defo better that Derek Ficher now is....

John Walls Era
10-06-2012, 06:25 AM
A bigger failure than this thread is the WNBA.

MickeyMgl
10-06-2012, 07:19 AM
19% of respondents are smoking something potent.

tmacsc2
10-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Offcourse, this girl : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGZqK9yPkN4

Is defo better that Derek Ficher now is....

her shot is nice but it would be way off with a mens ball and deeper three line and a person who can actually JUMP....as for my answer to this thread.....

L. M. F. A. O

torocan
10-06-2012, 11:41 AM
19% of respondents are smoking something potent.

Or maybe some of us are looking at the question slightly different than others.

People are bringing up the WNBA and really that's not relevant.

The question is could A woman, ONE woman on the planet earth compete in the NBA.

7 BILLION people on the planet. 3.5 BILLION Women. I think it's ridiculous to think that there is not a SINGLE woman on the planet with the physical attributes who could develop the skills to play in SOME role at a NBA level. Whether that's a starting PG, 3rd string PG, spot up shooting role, etc.

That we haven't seen one doesn't mean that one could not concievably exist.

Is it likely? No. However it's a LONG way from improbable to impossible.

For example...

Odds of being hit by lightning in a given year : 1,000,000 to 1
Odds of winning powerball : 146,107,962 to 1

Are you really going to bet that the odds of a woman existing that can play in the NBA is longer than 3,500,000,000 to 1?

So, could a Woman (singular) compete in the NBA? I still say yes. It is Concievable that there is/has been/will be a woman who could play in the NBA.

Can Women (in general) compete in the NBA? No. Size, speed, strength all factor against them in General.

Some stuff to think about...

Go_NUGGETS
10-06-2012, 12:11 PM

The question is could A woman, ONE woman on the planet earth compete in the NBA.

7 BILLION people on the planet. 3.5 BILLION Women. I think it's ridiculous to think that there is not a SINGLE woman on the planet with the physical attributes who could develop the skills to play in SOME role at a NBA level. Whether that's a starting PG, 3rd string PG, spot up shooting role, etc.

For example...

Are you really going to bet that the odds of a woman existing that can play in the NBA is longer than 3,500,000,000 to 1?

So, could a Woman (singular) compete in the NBA? I still say yes. It is Concievable that there is/has been/will be a woman who could play in the NBA.

Can Women (in general) compete in the NBA? No. Size, speed, strength all factor against them in General.

The WNBA and the olympics showcase the potential of women ballers on this "planet Earth"....If there is one in the world who possesses the physical attributes, accompanied with the skillset--then YEAH! ....But of all the olympics i've watched of women ballers on planet Earth, and all the college women players i've played against to measure with--i'm confident no woman could be part of a championship NBA team--or anybody NBA team.

JordansBulls
10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Not unless Lebron and Kobe had a girl

:confused:

Phillysports90
10-06-2012, 08:16 PM
Juwana mann could play in the nba

MrfadeawayJB
10-06-2012, 10:12 PM
But Juwana Mann was a man lol

bucketss
10-06-2012, 11:16 PM
1. Women only play 43 games in a season compared to the 82 games plus the playoff's "IF YOU MAKE IT TO THE PLAYOFF'S". That would cause to much wear and tear on a woman's body.

2. Ball size the woman's ball is a lot smaller than a man that means whoever's playing would have to condition themselves to shoot with a bigger ball with a bigger, quicker defender coming you don't have to time to adjust your shot

3. just imagine Sue Bird going up again Rondo, Rose, Westbrook, Irving, Rubio, Williams, Paul, Nash, Wall, Parker Are you serious ? someone in the forum said she could drop 13 points with 8 - 10 assist those are Rubio numbers some people live in a fantasy land.

some of these arguments are hilarious someone said they can guard players like sefolosha.

Heatcheck
10-07-2012, 01:03 PM

Absolutely not. I think you underestimate the physical gap.
Id take a good highschool all american over turasi or any of them.
ITs not even close.

Heatcheck
10-07-2012, 01:07 PM

For example...

NO, there is not ONE SINGLE woman on planet earth with the skillset AND physical attributes to compete in the NBA PERIOD. Its not going to happen, the difference in physical strength is too much.

Munkeysuit
10-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Serious question deserves a serious answer hell f**ckin NO!

ewing
10-07-2012, 02:22 PM

For example...

Yes eventually every river will contain a bend that doesn't mean we shouldn't answer the question with the best available data we have. Is it conceivable? Sure. Do i think there is a women on the planet right now that could do it? No and i think the best available data backs up the fact that there probably isnt

JdKing7
10-07-2012, 02:33 PM
No way in hell.

Lol you took the words right out of my mouth

heyman321
10-07-2012, 02:56 PM
Matt Bonner would be the best player in the WNBA.

ChicagoFan4Eva
10-07-2012, 03:17 PM
no.

NFLNBA
10-07-2012, 03:30 PM
Id say yes a STAR in the WNBA could have more impact the a lot of NBA players who dont see much time or just role bench players. Candice Parker has some serious game and is not short. Some of these woman have a better shot then a lot of NBA players. They would have to get used to the bigger ball and extended 3 pt line but i honestly think the stars of the WNBA like top 5-10 would be better then the worst NBA players

superior
10-07-2012, 03:51 PM
no....STOP IT.....the worst player in the nba would droup 60 points a night in the wnba

heyman321
10-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Id say yes a STAR in the WNBA could have more impact the a lot of NBA players who dont see much time or just role bench players. Candice Parker has some serious game and is not short. Some of these woman have a better shot then a lot of NBA players. They would have to get used to the bigger ball and extended 3 pt line but i honestly think the stars of the WNBA like top 5-10 would be better then the worst NBA players

No, they really wouldn't. Candace Parker would be worse than Matt Bonner in the NBA. I don't think you realize they're only good because they're playing against less than D-league competition. Men are much stronger and faster, more skilled? Perhaps they're equal there, but physically it's not even an argument.

P Harvy
10-07-2012, 04:05 PM
This is like asking if a man can compete in the kitchen

Shahrose
10-07-2012, 04:09 PM
Put the worst person in the NBA in the WNBA and they would be the MVP
...so my answer would be a quick no

Shahrose
10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
This is like asking if a man can compete in the kitchen

Best cooks are men
...just sayin lol

bucketss
10-07-2012, 08:16 PM

lol lets be honest bro lisa leslie did a simple dunk and she acted like she just won a grammy. shes 6'5 and she barley got it. they can't compete physically

Sixerlover
10-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I think Cheryl Miller in her prime would've done no worse in the NBA then say your run of the mill journeyman end of the bench player

LongWayFromHome
10-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Maybe Cynthia Cooper

I'm pretty sure she tried and got cut.

LongWayFromHome
10-07-2012, 11:32 PM
This is SUCH A SIMPLE question to answer. The minimum NBA pay is like 450k. The Maximum WNBA pay is just over 100k. If they could be an NBA scrub THEY WOULD DO IT! Plus they would get tons of endorsement cash for being a chick like Danika Patrick

eman
10-08-2012, 12:19 AM
This argument is all wrong.

First of all everyone is looking at female basketball players and debating if they can play in the NBA. I personally think everyone is looking in the wrong place. The women's and men's games are dramatically different. The men's game is played vertically and above the rim with an emphasis on individual play whereas the women's game is played for lack of a better word horizontally (please forgive the pun and get your mind out the gutter) and below the rim with an emphasis on team play. Also about women being better shooter's they are using a smaller ball on the same size rim that the men use. Would you be a better putter if the size of the hole were 10 percent larger, I think so.

But here is the biggest drawback for any women competing in a man's league it wouldn't be sport it would be spectacle. All the media attention has a detrimental effect on any women being successful. I actually think Danica Patrick is a halfway decent driver but in more than a decade of racing she has only managed to win once.

Michelle Wie was a wonderful teenage golfer who challenged for a number of women's major tournaments but the spectacle of trying to make the cut of a men's tournament totally ruined her game.

Ironically I think the closest women to playing on a men's level in her sport is Serena Williams but the women play only a maximum of 3 sets where the men play at least 3 sets with a maximum of 5. There is no way she could play a 4 or 5 set match which they actually tried at one of the indoor championships but scrapped after the play fell off after the 3rd set.

Now for that outside the box athlete that in my opinion has the athleticism to play in the NBA you have to look at the aforementioned 2012 London Olympics. The best player for the USA women's volleyball team was Destinee Hooker she of the 43 inch vertical and killer spikes, yet her best attritbute was the defense she played above the net and on the floor. At six foot four inches tall and younger sister of professional track athlete Marshevette Hooker she has at least the athleticism and size that everyone on here speaks about the women lacking. If only she had chose to play basketball.

As for me being a chauvinist or sexist in any way, I have been a female track coach for 25 years now along with being a girls high school basketball coach for about a decade.

LA_Raiders
10-08-2012, 12:40 AM
No, Maybe Griner, I think she is a dude...

rsweene
10-08-2012, 12:45 AM
I think there has only been 2 dunks in WNBA history, Lisa Leslie and Candace Parker (check my on the Lesie).

Since Spud Webb could dunk and he is about 5'6" I think we should acknowledge the physical advantage the average male athlete has ove the female athlete (I am not talking down on women I am only stating the natural differences between man and women in athleticism. Women are equal to men as people but most women to have limitations generally to most men thats life dont blame me blame Hitler).

superior
10-08-2012, 08:11 AM
I think there has only been 2 dunks in WNBA history, Lisa Leslie and Candace Parker (check my on the Lesie).

Since Spud Webb could dunk and he is about 5'6" I think we should acknowledge the physical advantage the average male athlete has ove the female athlete (I am not talking down on women I am only stating the natural differences between man and women in athleticism. Women are equal to men as people but most women to have limitations generally to most men thats life dont blame me blame Hitler).

that was corny bro

superior
10-08-2012, 08:31 AM
30 people need to get banned

ShockerArt
10-08-2012, 09:01 AM
I'm sorry, but even a star from the WNBA would be the worst player in the NBA. She wouldn't be able to create her for others or get her own shot. Defense would be unbelievable difficult for her against the bigger, faster male athletes. Just no.

superkegger
10-08-2012, 01:37 PM
The only conceivable way a woman could exist in the NBA is as a gimmick.

She would have to be a PG.
She would have to have unreal athleticism.
She would have to be an absolute sharp shooter.
She would have to be on a team with a very good 2 guard to handle the ball and create plays, since she wouldn't be able to.
She would have to play on a bad team who is just trying to do it as a gimmick.

With all of those considerations, it still wouldn't work. Maybe for a part of a season as a gimmick, to draw people to the arena, but she would be shut down so bad. If she was a lights out shooter form 3, it could conceivably work for a very short time, but she'd be so exposed defensively.

I Rock Shaqs
10-08-2012, 01:53 PM
No

rsweene
10-08-2012, 03:14 PM
that was corny bro

Dont blame me for being corny. Blame...nevermind

Heatcheck
10-09-2012, 11:59 AM
No, they really wouldn't. Candace Parker would be worse than Matt Bonner in the NBA. I don't think you realize they're only good because they're playing against less than D-league competition. Men are much stronger and faster, more skilled? Perhaps they're equal there, but physically it's not even an argument.

Id show you a clip of all the missed layups just last year, but people dont take the time to post wnba videos

Quinnsanity
10-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Nope.

rsweene
10-10-2012, 01:11 AM
a wnba team can beat the 2011 bobcats so yes lol

jesus, this might be a somewhat legitimate statement!

Oefarmy2005
10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
I definitely think there are some WNBA players that are better than some NBA players, so yes.

LongWayFromHome
10-10-2012, 09:55 AM
I definitely think there are some WNBA players that are better than some NBA players, so yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx_UJxuQGXo

thenaj17
10-10-2012, 11:03 AM
I'm on the "yes" side as well.

I understand different generations view the game differently but in the NBA, today, there's less than a handful of complete players. Tim Duncan, Lebron, and I can't think of another right now. 20-30 years ago every player on the court had to be skilled at multiple facets of the game: defense, passing, rebounding, scoring from the outside, scoring from the inside by driving to the basket, post-up scoring, etc.

In today's game players are more athletic than they are polished. That's why European players have done well in the modern NBA because they have more polish than athleticism.

I think a Taurasi, for example, can easily be a PG off the bench or spot shooter in the NBA right now. Easily. She's a better defender right now than Steve Nash has ever been.
Do I think a woman could be a "star" in the NBA? No. I don't. But a player that can have impact with positive contributions? Absolutely.

That's just simply not true. She hasn't had to guard Derek Rose, Russell Westbrook, CP3, Deron Williams, Rondo, Ty Lawson etc.. with lightning pace.

xcrisisx
10-10-2012, 11:14 AM
This argument is all wrong.

First of all everyone is looking at female basketball players and debating if they can play in the NBA. I personally think everyone is looking in the wrong place. The women's and men's games are dramatically different. The men's game is played vertically and above the rim with an emphasis on individual play whereas the women's game is played for lack of a better word horizontally (please forgive the pun and get your mind out the gutter) and below the rim with an emphasis on team play. Also about women being better shooter's they are using a smaller ball on the same size rim that the men use. Would you be a better putter if the size of the hole were 10 percent larger, I think so.
But here is the biggest drawback for any women competing in a man's league it wouldn't be sport it would be spectacle. All the media attention has a detrimental effect on any women being successful. I actually think Danica Patrick is a halfway decent driver but in more than a decade of racing she has only managed to win once.

Michelle Wie was a wonderful teenage golfer who challenged for a number of women's major tournaments but the spectacle of trying to make the cut of a men's tournament totally ruined her game.

Ironically I think the closest women to playing on a men's level in her sport is Serena Williams but the women play only a maximum of 3 sets where the men play at least 3 sets with a maximum of 5. There is no way she could play a 4 or 5 set match which they actually tried at one of the indoor championships but scrapped after the play fell off after the 3rd set.

Now for that outside the box athlete that in my opinion has the athleticism to play in the NBA you have to look at the aforementioned 2012 London Olympics. The best player for the USA women's volleyball team was Destinee Hooker she of the 43 inch vertical and killer spikes, yet her best attritbute was the defense she played above the net and on the floor. At six foot four inches tall and younger sister of professional track athlete Marshevette Hooker she has at least the athleticism and size that everyone on here speaks about the women lacking. If only she had chose to play basketball.

As for me being a chauvinist or sexist in any way, I have been a female track coach for 25 years now along with being a girls high school basketball coach for about a decade.

women are not better shooters
lighter balls only increase range... that's not the same as a bigger hoop

you are being to kind, she would get her but kicked 3 times 6-0 in the first round of every grand slam... there's no way she can even hit the ball back 3 times in a row, you have no idea how much harder they hit! :D

MickeyMgl
10-11-2012, 06:05 AM

For example...

I think you're talking about a woman "making it" to the NBA. I define "competing" at a higher level.