PDA

View Full Version : White tells Rockets he wants to travel to some games by bus to avoid flying

spreadeagle
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
picking up a bit on the previous thread about this

Royce White, the No. 16 pick of the Houston Rockets in the June draft, is still not at Rockets camp.

The talented and versatile forward fell out of the lottery in part because teams were wary of the anxiety disorder he struggles with.

White has a fear of flying. At times a paralyzing fear. He released a statement on Wednesday saying he would not join the team until a plan was in place to address his long-term health concerns.

What that boils down to is he has asked the Rockets if he can travel by bus to some games, White told ESPN.

Whiteís fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So heís asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the teamís extensive road trips. White said heís willing to purchase the bus and assume liabilityÖ.

ďWhat itís going to look like is every game thatís drivable, Iím going to get a bus for myself,Ē White said. ďAnd Iím going to make that bus feel like home so that thereís a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. Iím going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule. Ö

ďPeople with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, ĎCan I travel by bus to close enough games?í ď

That could be a challenging accommodation if the drive time would cause White to miss team walk throughs or other events. Itís certainly not something he could do for every game.

White deserves credit here ó he is being up front about his disorder, and thatís not easy. Like Metta World Peace, it is people taking steps like this that can help peel away the stigma of people dealing with mental illnesses and how they can fit in society.

The Rockets should be accommodating. As much as they can be. They also have the health of a team and business to balance, so itís just not that simple.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/04/white-tells-rockets-he-wants-to-travel-to-some-games-by-bus/

Mile High Champ
10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Knew this would become an issue. Jay Bilas talked about this in depth on draft night and how this concern likely scared off many teams from selecting White.

dhopisthename
10-04-2012, 02:36 PM
its going to be interesting to see how out of the way the rockets will go to convenience him

utl768
10-04-2012, 02:40 PM
i dealt with the same fear for a long time

its a tough issue but not something that a few sleeping pills doesnt cure

he wont have a long nba career unless he beats this

P Harvy
10-04-2012, 02:47 PM
This whole thing is pretty unfortunate. I had really thought White had taken a step in the right direction with this and it wouldn't be that big of an issue. Driving by bus to a lot of games is obviously going to be a problem.

spreadeagle
10-04-2012, 02:54 PM
hes the John Madden of the NBA #buslife

da ThRONe
10-04-2012, 03:10 PM
I wouldn't care as an organization however the opportunities to bus places would be so few in in-between I don't think it makes much sense long term. Trying to find away around his fear of flying seems like the only logical conclusion. Hope the best for him.

JasonJohnHorn
10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
Well.... if he was playing on the East coast it would be a lot easier to bus to games, but playing in the western conference.... it might be a problem, but hey, if they cann get him to the game on time, why not. It's how the rolled in the 60's, and it didn't hurt Bill Russell none.

uprightciti
10-04-2012, 03:28 PM
you know who else is afraid to fly?!?!? Martin Scorsese #buslife

i think its kinda cool for the rotation if he is that good

NYKGuY
10-04-2012, 05:15 PM
its going to be interesting to see how out of the way the rockets will go to convenience him

I hardly think fixing a player up on a bus ride is going out of the way for a convenience. The guy has some serious anxiety issues. That doesn't make him any less of a gifted athlete. And lets be serious here if the Rockets can shell out 50 Mil (I think that's the number) for just Asik and Lin. I think fronting other means of transportation is hardly a big deal.

Trueblue2
10-04-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow dude take a ****ing xanax and suck it up...

xnick5757
10-04-2012, 05:24 PM

honestly... this seems like a good idea. give him a few pills to last the flight, wake him up when they get there.

dhopisthename
10-04-2012, 05:30 PM
I hardly think fixing a player up on a bus ride is going out of the way for a convenience. The guy has some serious anxiety issues. That doesn't make him any less of a gifted athlete. And lets be serious here if the Rockets can shell out 50 Mil (I think that's the number) for just Asik and Lin. I think fronting other means of transportation is hardly a big deal.

the bus doesn't matter, but if you read the post you have realize that he will be missing shootarounds and he might have to miss a game or two

mvb815
10-04-2012, 05:39 PM

this

smoke a blunt and pretend your on a boat, people can conquer fears

CostanzaNumba0
10-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Isn't this why they prescribe xanax? Take the drugs! a bus wont work.

topdog
10-04-2012, 05:55 PM
White has talked about being drugged to fly and that has left him groggy for hours afterwards. Plus, there is the anxiety that sets in beforehand.

The Rockets need a long-term plan to accomodate him now, but work on his anxiety issues so that it won't affect the team down the line. Right now, they have the leeway with a young roster and their sights aimed at a lottery pick.

keithy19
10-04-2012, 06:00 PM

Oh nonsense. A few sleeping pills cure everything.

NYK4L
10-04-2012, 06:02 PM
man up!

Corey
10-04-2012, 06:05 PM

Nope.

If it was as simple as that, this wouldn't even be a story.

this

smoke a blunt and pretend your on a boat, people can conquer fears

Isn't this why they prescribe xanax? Take the drugs! a bus wont work.

man up!

You guys are clueless. It's a psychological disorder. It's not just a fear of flying, it's clinically diagnosed anxiety.

Trueblue2
10-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Nope.

You guys are clueless. It's a psychological disorder. It's not just a fear of flying, it's clinically diagnosed anxiety.

I've had panic attacks since I was 8 and been on and off benzos since 12 but I'm clueless about anxiety issues... Panic attacks suck, they're crippling and terrifying, but it's even more crippling to spend your life avoiding situations that give you anxiety. There's a difference between dealing with your anxiety issues and letting them rule your life, guess which one white is doing. You know what I do if I'm gonna fly somewhere? I go to the doctor and get enough valium or xanax to get me there and back. You know what I do if I'm groggy when I get there? I drink a cup of coffee or a monster.

Anxiety issues suck, but it's something the person with the disorder has to deal with, not something the world has to accommodate.

topdog
10-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I've had panic attacks since I was 8 and been on and off benzos since 12 but I'm clueless about anxiety issues... Panic attacks suck, they're crippling and terrifying, but it's even more crippling to spend your life avoiding situations that give you anxiety. There's a difference between dealing with your anxiety issues and letting them rule your life, guess which one white is doing. You know what I do if I'm gonna fly somewhere? I go to the doctor and get enough valium or xanax to get me there and back. You know what I do if I'm groggy when I get there? I drink a cup of coffee or a monster.

Anxiety issues suck, but it's something the person with the disorder has to deal with, not something the world has to accommodate.

I'm going to take a stab in the dark here and say that you are not a professional athlete. Nor are you likely the size of Royce White meaning you probably don't need as much valium as he does. Nor are you likely traveling as often as White who isn't going to want to get addicted to sedatives. Nor, do you know his specific reactions to drugs as they vary by person.

Raidaz4Life
10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I just don't see him lasting in the NBA unless he winds up being absolutely amazing. I just can't see teams willing to deal with this if he is only a role player. I mean you have to think he is going to be missing games and shoot arounds at some point. He will end up being unreliable.

That being said I am completely supportive of him and hope he is able to find a solution but the odds are definitely stacked against him.

BALLER R
10-04-2012, 07:26 PM
So when the Rockets face the Raptors in Toronto. We probably shouldn't expect him to come should we.

DoMeFavors
10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
I know a lot of people with anxiety and are nothing like this, he must have a very heavy case.

Hawkeye15
10-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Well, at least he is trying to get past his anxiety and fears I guess. I hope it works out for the kid. Can't imagine being that worked up over anything, but that is me.

Corey
10-04-2012, 07:40 PM

If you think he can ''take a pill and suck it up'', then yes...you are clueless.

gocubs2118
10-04-2012, 07:44 PM
A lot of ignorant people in this thread but I'm not surprised. It's not about "sucking it up" or "taking a few sleeping pills".

mvb815
10-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Nope.

if you don't think fears can be conquered then you're either really beta or just lack motivation to better yourself

my friend has been deathly scared of spiders all his life, when he was 22 he went to the pet store and asked if he could hold a tarantula

that didn't work, but he admitted it was progress

it's all about convincing yourself otherwise

tell me it's not the same, i'm off today i could argue about it all night

douglas
10-04-2012, 08:37 PM
I think the reason that Royce White is afraid of flying is he is scared that the plane will crash and he will die.

jimm120
10-04-2012, 08:47 PM
White has talked about being drugged to fly and that has left him groggy for hours afterwards. Plus, there is the anxiety that sets in beforehand.

The Rockets need a long-term plan to accomodate him now, but work on his anxiety issues so that it won't affect the team down the line. Right now, they have the leeway with a young roster and their sights aimed at a lottery pick.

Or play him in home games and games in "the area" only? 50 games a year?

spreadeagle
10-04-2012, 09:36 PM
I think the reason that Royce White is afraid of flying is he is scared that the plane will crash and he will die.

douglas nails it again :clap:

astrosmaniac
10-05-2012, 04:42 PM
just wanted to post an update:

McALLEN, Texas -- Houston Rockets first-round draft pick Royce White is a no-show at training camp and said he and the team are working on a plan to address his fear of flying.

The 6-foot-8 White was the 16th overall pick after one season at Iowa State. White suffers from anxiety and fear of flying. He says on Twitter that he's working with the team on an "innovative plan" to balance treatment with the NBA schedule.

"Anxiety isn't keeping me from camp," White wrote, "taking a Proactive approach to my mental illness instead of reactive is.(hash)StayingAheadOfMyDisorder."

White said he has an agreement with the team to take a bus to select games. KRIV-TV reported that the agreement is pending league approval. The Rockets would not comment beyond a statement that said they "are committed to Royce's long term success and we will continue to support him now and going forward."

White said he offered to buy the bus himself.

"I will not travel every game via bus," he wrote on Twitter. "It was decided that the less flying the less stress."

The Rockets opened training camp this week in McAllen, near the Texas-Mexico border, the home of their development league affiliate.

White averaged 13.4 points, 9.3 rebounds and five assists at Iowa State last season. He initially enrolled at Minnesota, then left the program last year and eventually transferred after pleading guilty to theft and disorderly conduct in an incident at the Mall of America.

He's been open about his anxiety throughout his career and bluntly broke it down for reporters at his introductory press conference in Houston in June.

"Here's how it goes," White said. "I'm scared (going) to the airport, I'm scared going up, I'm uncomfortable in the air and I feel like a million bucks when we hit the runway."

White was also absent from the Rockets' media day Monday. The team made the short flight to McAllen later that day, and White started tweeting about his discussions with the team Wednesday night.

"There is nothing but very positive strides being taken right now between I and the Houston Rockets to support health," he wrote. "This innovative plan is being well thought out by both parties, when it's done I think an executable plan will be there...A Healthy plan."

White added that "my health now is great, the best its ever been." He said "the long term is the goal here."

The Rockets and White did not give a timetable for his return. Houston plays its first preseason game next Wednesday night, against Oklahoma City in McAllen.

so he's not exclusively taking buses to away games, he WILL fly, it's just that for games where it is logistically possible to take a bus (which has been worked out with the front office), he will. i have no problems with this

Corey
10-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Nope.

if you don't think fears can be conquered then you're either really beta or just lack motivation to better yourself

my friend has been deathly scared of spiders all his life, when he was 22 he went to the pet store and asked if he could hold a tarantula

that didn't work, but he admitted it was progress

it's all about convincing yourself otherwise

tell me it's not the same, i'm off today i could argue about it all night
It's not just a fear. It's a physiological disorder that he has absolutely no control over.

You just compared a man's clinical anxiety to your friend's fear of spiders.

Dear Lord.

Cromedome
10-05-2012, 09:22 PM
I understand he has a physiological disorder....but seriously....if the NBA and flying is too much for him then WHY DID HE SIGN UP FOR THIS?

He should be home collecting SSI.

Corey
10-05-2012, 09:40 PM
I understand he has a physiological disorder....but seriously....if the NBA and flying is too much for him then WHY DID HE SIGN UP FOR THIS?

He should be home collecting SSI.Because anyone that has dealt with some sort of debilitating disorder wants nothing more than to overcome it. Basketball presents a great avenue for him to attempt to do that.

If he's going to overcome his disorder, basketball is going to be a guiding light for him

osmosis da kid
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Because anyone that has dealt with some sort of debilitating disorder wants nothing more than to overcome it. Basketball presents a great avenue for him to attempt to do that.

If he's going to overcome his disorder, basketball is going to be a guiding light for him

:facepalm: It's apart of the game he knew what he was going before he was drafted "Fear" isn't a mental disorder it's something that happen in his past that made him feel that way I used to be the same way till I seen a little kid get on a plane make you feel like a wimp. LOL you can't be afraid to live your life **** is going to happen regardless just look at ODEN.:facepalm:

jericho
10-05-2012, 10:05 PM
some people over here are really ignorant
first off i know i dont write the rite way but thats cuz im lazy but reading goes a long way he did say he is willing to go on the plane he just want to be chance to be able to go on bus to the close 1s
for the part people over here thinking that they are doctors saying get over it or take a pill you guys know......................... wtvr it doesnt matter is not gonna get thru some over here anyways

_KB24_
10-05-2012, 10:18 PM
How about traveling by a train? May not be private but much quicker than a bus

mvb815
10-06-2012, 03:13 AM
It's not just a fear. It's a physiological disorder that he has absolutely no control over.

You just compared a man's clinical anxiety to your friend's fear of spiders.

Dear Lord.

clinical anxiety? so it's labelled clinical anxiety because he saw a shrink for his fear of flying?

you know what the difference is? white saw a shrink, my friend held a tarantula

it's time to man up big boy and stop accepting mental limitations

t0nyg11
10-06-2012, 03:59 AM

My sentiments exactly.

effen5
10-06-2012, 10:32 AM
Last year this would have been an issue because there were so many back to back games but I don't think the bus will be such a big deal this year

StarvingKnick22
10-06-2012, 12:23 PM
I had a fear of flying, but then i turned 10...

Vinylman
10-06-2012, 12:56 PM
The good news is that he obviously is confident enough to commit crimes...

maybe he is just trying to avoid the TSA guys

Losoway
10-06-2012, 01:42 PM
what a diva . take sleeping pills your making millions figure it out smh