PDA

View Full Version : Francona says on ESPN if he were in charge, he would look at 4 guys for manager

j-bay
10-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Farrell
Hale
Mills
Bogar

He said that these are the guys like Pedroia, Lester, Clay B, etc are going to respect because they were with them through the good years.

Station 13
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Terrible

Nomar
10-04-2012, 02:27 PM
I think Farrell will be our manager. There's so much talk of it, i feel like its getting to a point where its inevitable. Even though he's not my top choice, i would be fine with it. I just hope fans realize Farrell wouldnt guarantee anything for us. This is still a rebuilding team.

bagwell368
10-04-2012, 02:29 PM
Awful list, only Farrell has a shot.

xnick5757
10-04-2012, 02:37 PM
i really want them to look at Dave Martinez. Everything i have read says he is GREAT at dealing with the different personalities that teams have, and if anyone deserves a shot its him.

other candidates:

farrell - I really don't want him, and the Jays won't give him to us.
maddux - solid guy, should be a great guy for our pitchers
sandburg - won baseball americas minor league manager of the year in 2011, could be an interesting dark horse. also a HoF.
alomar jr - another candidate.

in order of preference, out of the ones i listed:

martinez
sandburg
maddux
alomar jr
farrell

quinnjack
10-04-2012, 03:44 PM
i really want them to look at Dave Martinez. Everything i have read says he is GREAT at dealing with the different personalities that teams have, and if anyone deserves a shot its him.

other candidates:

sandburg - won baseball americas minor league manager of the year in 2011, could be an interesting dark horse. also a HoF.

martinez
sandburg
maddux
alomar jr
farrell

Thank GAWD you're not finding the next manager. Holy shite.

Maddux turned down the opportunity to even interview. Sandberg has been promoted by Philly and is unavailable.

flea
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Don't think Maddux wants to be a manager.

AI
10-04-2012, 03:58 PM
I wouldn't mind Maddux, with his brother as pitching coach :)

poprocksncoke
10-04-2012, 04:55 PM
Sandburg can still accept a managerial position with another team if he chooses. Actually was my choice before they hired Valentine.

Bo Sox Fan
10-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Francona also said about a month ago on Sunday Night Baseball that Daniel Bard is the Red Sox best pitcher on the 40 man roster, even though he was in the minors at the time consistantly walking 7 batters per 2 innings of work.

I take anything Tito says with a grain of salt now, he's lost his mind.

Station 13
10-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Well Bard was pretty good 2009-2011... he just 'lost' now.

Crucis
10-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Awful list, only Farrell has a shot.

Tito's list looks like a snippet of his Facebook friends list, not a legit list of potential managers the Sox should seriously consider.

flea
10-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Francona also said about a month ago on Sunday Night Baseball that Daniel Bard is the Red Sox best pitcher on the 40 man roster, even though he was in the minors at the time consistantly walking 7 batters per 2 innings of work.

I take anything Tito says with a grain of salt now, he's lost his mind.

Haha yeah he's a dope. Listening to him give color commentary for ESPN is torture.

j-bay
10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Nomar said on ESPN they should look at Hale

Nomar
10-04-2012, 07:29 PM
Nomar said on ESPN they should look at Hale

Always liked Demarlo. Good dude.

TragicallyHip
10-05-2012, 12:00 PM
My dream candidate: Cal Ripken, Jr.

Nomar
10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
That would be awesome.

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
My dream candidate: Cal Ripken, Jr.

I hope you are joking. The cancer ridden clubhouse in his last 6-8 years on the Orioles is generally laid right on his door step.

I think his version of Little League is better then Little League, and he was a great player, and fine spokesman for the game but, he's not a good choice for leader of a clubhouse IMO.

Nomar
10-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Hey Bill Murray would be solid too.

-Lavigne43-
10-05-2012, 01:57 PM
I heard Tito bashed Bobby a bit on ESPN about his comments on the coaches and his handling of the media.

TragicallyHip
10-05-2012, 02:10 PM
I hope you are joking. The cancer ridden clubhouse in his last 6-8 years on the Orioles is generally laid right on his door step.

I think his version of Little League is better then Little League, and he was a great player, and fine spokesman for the game but, he's not a good choice for leader of a clubhouse IMO.

That was over a decade ago, people change. I can see how that time would have been trying for him as young guys were coming up constantly threatening his livelihood, if you will. It's totally different as a manager. As you said yourself, great player, great steward of the game. Who better to make these guys accountable than The Ironman?

Coincidental or not, a correlation relating to the timing of him joining the Orioles in his present role and their current situation could be made.

With that said, I can't see Ripken being associated with any organization as a manager until he's at least been given the opportunity to manage the Orioles.

ruckus16969
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM

other candidates:

martinez
sandburg
maddux
alomar jr
farrell

maddux is interesting

ruckus16969
10-08-2012, 08:32 AM
How bout Mitt Romney???

tc2deuce
10-08-2012, 01:48 PM
Martinez, Farrell, Hale, Scioscia (if he gets the boot) Sandy Alomar Jr.

BostonSports96
10-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Wait, Francona is advocating for the 4 guys who worked under him as coaches and who he personally mentored? What a shocker.