PDA

View Full Version : The What If thread

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 07:48 PM
What if the Yankees lost today and The rays who were up 1-0 in the 9th decided to intentionally walk the bases load and then walk 2 guys in to give the 0s the win just to **** with the Yankees....

My question is what if this happened? And what would be done about it after and would the Rays get in trouble by baseball?

MetsFanatic19
10-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Everybody associated with the Yankees will bash the Rays and there would be mayhem on the first day they play each other in 2013.

BrianWestKins
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM
You can't intentionally throw games, that would be a huge offense and highly unethical.

Of course the Rays could purposely lose the game without making it look intentional (look at the Yankees in that last game last season)

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Is there a rule that says you cant intentionally lose? I am honestly asking...I know its wrong but again if I hated a team enough and was in power I would think about doing it just for the media attention alone. Someone like the Rays could use much more media exposure both good or bad and screwing someone like the Yankees would get them Just that. Again it might not be ethical but I am not sure it is against the rules with nothing to play for. It is not like the Yankees would not have had their own shot with winning on the final day and this is not to bash the yankees but to use them and their popularity as an example.

What could baseball do to the rays?

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Again I am not one to give a **** about what others think so if I were in power on the final day and I had a team that did not have a ton of media exposure I would do it for that reason alone.

This would promise you a spot on National tv a ton next year especially when playing the Yankees.

Jeffy25
You want controversy

Here ya go

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1910_Chalmers_Award

At the start of the final day of the 1910 season, Ty Cobb of the Detroit Tigers held a slim lead in the race for the American League batting title, just a few percentage points ahead of the Cleveland Indians' Nap Lajoie. While Cobb did not play in the Tigers' final two games of the season,[1] Lajoie played in two successive games on the last day of the season for the Indians.
Because Cobb did not have a plate appearance, his batting average did not change finishing with an average of .38507. However, Lajoie hit safely eight times in the Indians' doubleheader against the St. Louis Browns. With eight hits in eight at-bats, Lajoie finished the season with a .384 batting average (227 hits in 591 at bats).
[edit]Aftermath

Browns' manager Jack O'Connor had ordered rookie third baseman Red Corriden to play on the outfield grass. This all but conceded a hit for any ball Lajoie bunted. Lajoie's final at-bat resulted in a wild throw to first base, which was scored as an error. After news broke of the scandal, a writer for the St. Louis Post claimed: "All St. Louis is up in arms over the deplorable spectacle, conceived in stupidity and executed in jealousy." The issue was brought to American League president Ban Johnson, who declared all batting averages official, and Cobb the champion (.385069 to .384095). The Chalmers people, however, awarded automobiles to both Cobb and Lajoie (essentially declaring a tie). Cobb ultimately won the Chalmers Award in 1911 in his best year, hitting .420.

Dunno if people had ever heard of this before, but this kind of thing has happened before, but in different ways.

BrianWestKins
Is there a rule that says you cant intentionally lose? I am honestly asking...I know its wrong but again if I hated a team enough and was in power I would think about doing it just for the media attention alone. Someone like the Rays could use much more media exposure both good or bad and screwing someone like the Yankees would get them Just that. Again it might not be ethical but I am not sure it is against the rules with nothing to play for. It is not like the Yankees would not have had their own shot with winning on the final day and this is not to bash the yankees but to use them and their popularity as an example.

Google "Black Sox Scandal" to brush up on your baseball history and get your answer

Havoc Wreaker
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Please excuse MtM, he doesn't know better. The poor sap likes Kyle Kendrick

We try not to let him wander off the Phillies forum, but every once in a while someone loses him

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:05 PM
Google "Black Sox Scandal" to brush up on your baseball history and get your answer

This is not that...This has 0 to do with gambling... Losing games on Bets is one thing losing games that have 0 meaning to screw a team you dislike seems different to me.

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM

We try not to let him wander off the Phillies forum, but every once in a while someone loses him

:laugh:

I am a phillies fan and my team is done...What else is there to do?

BrianWestKins
10-03-2012, 08:07 PM
This is not that...This has 0 to do with gambling... Losing games on Bets is one thing losing games that have 0 meaning to screw a team you dislike seems different to me.

You asked if intentionally losing was not allowed (doesn't really matter the reason for which you do it) and you got your answer with a historical precedent.

Yankees90.
10-03-2012, 08:08 PM

:laugh:

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:09 PM
You asked if intentionally losing was not allowed (doesn't really matter the reason for which you do it) and you got your answer with a historical precedent.

That also involved Gambling though... You are correct I guess

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
That being said you can close this Jeffy... I reread up on the Black sox

To me and I am in the minority see nothing wrong with losing on purpose to hurt a rival when you have 0 to play for...Frankly the other team should not put themselves in that situation to get screwed. I know I know its baseball and losing on purpose is WAH

The X
10-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Did you get your answer?

BrianWestKins
10-03-2012, 08:14 PM
That being said you can close this Jeffy... I reread up on the Black sox

To me and I am in the minority see nothing wrong with losing on purpose to hurt a rival when you have 0 to play for...Frankly the other team should not put themselves in that situation to get screwed. I know I know its baseball and losing on purpose is WAH

Losing on purpose in any sport is WAH (whatever that means)

More-Than-Most
10-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Losing on purpose in any sport is WAH (whatever that means)

Means people will cry and get butthurt

d79cheese
10-03-2012, 08:25 PM

I remember hearing about a minor league coach here in Northern California that got in big trouble for basically walking in runs to lose. I believe it was a long extra inning game and he had no other pitchers left. Instead of having position players out there he just decided to "throw" the game and walked 4 straight guys to bring in a run. I'm not completely sure, but I think he got either fired by the club or suspended by the league.

BrianWestKins
10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Means people will cry and get butthurt

Oh, ok. That would happen in any professional sports league that is worth a damn