PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets coach George Karl: “I just despise the Lakers”

nickdymez
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
The Lakers are his Duke.

Denver coach George Karl, who’s often wearing either Nuggets or North Carolina powder blue at Pepsi Center, feels the annual wrath of the Lakers, who have ended Denver’s season three times in the past five seasons.

“I can’t deny that I just despise the Lakers,” Karl said Monday. “There’s a bigger (description) for it (that I can’t use in public). I’ve been beaten by them too many times. I didn’t expect them to be bad this season, but when they got Steve Nash, I can’t deny I was really upset.”

Karl said he sent a text message to L.A. executive Mitch Kupchak, descriptively suggesting where Karl believes Kupchak has a rabbit’s foot on his person.

Most recently, Denver took L.A. to seven games in last spring’s first round. But the Lakers won at home, ending Denver’s season.

In a sit-down Q and A for Sunday’s paper, I asked George if the West was just a race for third, behind the Thunder and the Lakers.

“What I basically say is — that’s summer talk,” he said. “You have two teams that probably have the most talented players, especially in their top seven, but it’s summer talk. … I have a lot of respect for both of those teams. … But that doesn’t mean we never thought we could overtake them. Our goal this summer was: How do we get better? And how do we move closer to the top-echelon teams?”

Meanwhile, point guard Ty Lawson said today that Denver is, essentially, better than the Lakers.

Denver plays the Lakers on Nov. 30 in LA, Dec. 26 at home and Jan. 6 in L.A.

I find it strange that everyone is going at the lakers and not OKC

Cal827
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
In before this thread gets Nikdymezed.... oh wait.. :D

I think he's mad, cause they made what was supposed to be a sub-par offseason for them into a great one, acquiring a future HOFer and one that should also be on his way to the HOF (assuming that he stays healthy)

It's rare that you pluck the best center in the league from another team, while he's still in his prime.

Cromedome
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I thought it was common knowledge that Mitch Kupchak has a rabbit's foot up his ***.

Pau
Dwight
Nash
Almost Chris Paul?

nickdymez
10-03-2012, 04:19 PM
In before this thread gets Nikdymezed.... oh wait.. :D

I think he's mad, cause they made what was supposed to be a sub-par offseason for them into a great one, acquiring a future HOFer and one that should also be on his way to the HOF (assuming that he stays healthy)

It's rare that you pluck the best center in the league from another team, while he's still in his prime.

Lakers been donig that way before Kupchek

SteBO
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
When you guys sign Nash and Howard in one offseason, expect pushback. Not only that, but it's the Lakers. There really is no other way to put it. Dwight has come off as a phony as well as an overgrown child and Kobe hasn't really been a likeable figure for years all while playing in a huge market whereas KD is the "golden boy" of the NBA playing in as small a market as there is in the NBA.

George Karl is no exception clearly.

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Atta boy George.

nickdymez
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
When you guys sign Nash and Howard in one offseason, expect pushback. Not only that, but it's the Lakers. There really is no other way to put it. Dwight has come off as a phony as well as an overgrown child and Kobe hasn't really been a likeable figure for years all while playing in a huge market whereas KD is the "golden boy" of the NBA playing in as small a market as there is in the NBA.

George Karl is no exception clearly.

Kobe has the number 1 selling jersey in the world and always top 3 All star vote getter. He's liked by somebody

SteBO
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Kobe has the number 1 selling jersey in the world and always top 3 All star vote getter. He's liked by somebody
No doubt about it, but you also have a ton of people that still dislike him nationally for odd reasons.

nickdymez
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
No doubt about it, but you also have a ton of people that still dislike him nationally for odd reasons.

True

Avenged
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Mitch :worthy:

You're definitely doing something right.

Anyways, Coach Karl can just get in line lol.

lakerboy
10-03-2012, 04:51 PM
Kupchak is GOAT.

Funny how teams are trying to build around a great player. I'll build around a great GM.

Ebbs
10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
So he is like every non lakers fan in the world. You love them or love to hate them. Sort of like being a Cowboys fan.

Gibby23
10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Kupchak and Karl are good friends.

sixer04fan
10-03-2012, 05:29 PM
Considering his own team directly assisted in getting Dwight Howard to the Lakers...

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 05:35 PM
Get in line George.

RaiderLakersA's
10-03-2012, 05:48 PM

Actually, that's modus operandi for the Los Angeles Lakers. And what a winning formula it is! :clap:

RaiderLakersA's
10-03-2012, 05:54 PM
So he is like every non lakers fan in the world. You love them or love to hate them. Sort of like being a Cowboys fan.

No, no, the Cowboys are a different plum from a different tree from a different orchard from a different part of the world. The minute that they embraced the notion of being "America's Team" they were doomed to hatred en masse the minute that they fell short of greatness. It's kind of like LeBron claiming to be "The Chosen One" before he won his ring. People have a built-in trigger for derision when it comes to perceived arrogance.

The Lakers are generally loved/hated in the same way that the Yankees are loved/hated. Especially in Boston. :D

Bruno
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Hell, I wish he were the coach. Could you imagine what George could do with these Lakers?

xxplayerxx23
10-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Get in line Geroge
I think Denver matches up good with LA. If OnlyMccagee could defend Dwight :sigh:

bluefire7002
10-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Hell, I wish he were the coach. Could you imagine what George could do with these Lakers?

+1

I wish we could make coach trades in sports :p

The goods
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Kupchak is GOAT.

Funny how teams are trying to build around a great player. I'll build around a great GM.

That's exactly what the magic said.

bucketss
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
can't wait to see nicks reaction when the thunder knock off the lakers or better yet they get knocked off earlier by a team like denver/clippers. he'd probably blame the refs though no lie.

--23--
10-03-2012, 06:54 PM

It's the Lakers they're like the Yankees of the NBA. People thought their reign of winning was coming to an end then they ended up getting Nash & Dwight, Which puts them right there in champion contention.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
can't wait to see nicks reaction when the thunder knock off the lakers or better yet they get knocked off earlier by a team like denver/clippers. he'd probably blame the refs though no lie.

Not gonna happen!! #17 coming up

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-03-2012, 07:17 PM

That sounds like fear lol

DoMeFavors
10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
OKC is the new Cleveland Cavaliers from 07-10

Oldmantrash
10-03-2012, 07:50 PM

You seriously wonder why everyone is going at the Lakers and not OKC.
Really, honestly.

Lakers have a bunch of championships already, and just got the best center in basketball, they have a Hollywood crowd cheering for them,and fans all over the country, it's human nature.

Same reason people hate the Yankees, and the Cowboys.

dtmagnet
10-03-2012, 08:28 PM

Such as rape.

bucketss
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
That sounds like fear lol

fear of what?

b@llhog24
10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Karl knows what's good.

JasonJohnHorn
10-03-2012, 10:19 PM
Of course he hates them, the Lakers have knocked his team out of the playoffs practically EVERY season since he got to DEN.... lol.

TheSource
10-03-2012, 10:27 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTg0LvWW1qs

zB_#85
10-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Bet you he'd jump at a job offer :cool:

Hater

Sadds The Gr8
10-03-2012, 11:23 PM
me too George, me too.

STL Don
10-04-2012, 03:24 AM
That's because he is terrified of them. :D

KB-Pau-DH2012
10-04-2012, 03:26 AM
Of course he hates them, the Lakers have knocked his team out of the playoffs practically EVERY season since he got to DEN.... lol.

Yes, but the Nuggets also helped the Lakers get D12 while acquiring Iggy from Philly. :laugh2:

STL Don
10-04-2012, 03:35 AM
Yes, but the Nuggets also helped the Lakers get D12 while acquiring Iggy from Philly. :laugh2:

Which was great for them.
Iggy is a fantastic fit into that lineup. I expect them to be no pushover, even for the Lakers. They're loaded with scorers and a bunch of talent.

xcrisisx
10-04-2012, 04:22 AM

they build that team from scratch and had lots of losing seasons to get where they are now. the lakers are just big market whores... buying their titles.
the thunder occasionally buy some players, but adding nash and dwight is not the same as adding fish and perkins (who is a shaddow since that acl)

cg_la00
10-04-2012, 05:18 AM
hataz gunna hate ;)

The1_Who_knocks
10-04-2012, 05:45 AM
Ahaha kupchak goat

xcrisisx
10-04-2012, 05:51 AM

that's the gm's move... still don't know how karl feels about the trades.
he said he liked acquiring iggy, but what else do you say at a conference like that?

PlezPlayDKnicks
10-04-2012, 10:10 AM
fear of what?

Of them being better than ur team

bucketss
10-04-2012, 10:51 AM
Of them being better than ur team

i already know that they are much better than my team..

I Rock Shaqs
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Get in line Geroge
I think Denver matches up good with LA. If OnlyMccagee could defend Dwight :sigh:

Whos Mccage? U mean Johnny Cage?

Vinylman
10-04-2012, 11:27 AM
they build that team from scratch and had lots of losing seasons to get where they are now. the lakers are just big market whores... buying their titles.the thunder occasionally buy some players, but adding nash and dwight is not the same as adding fish and perkins (who is a shaddow since that acl)

solid logic :facepalm:

lets see...

last 5 champions

Boston
Lakers
Lakers
Mavs
Heat

Yep... alot of home grown talent on those teams :rolleyes:

nickdymez
10-04-2012, 11:52 AM
they build that team from scratch and had lots of losing seasons to get where they are now. the lakers are just big market whores... buying their titles.
the thunder occasionally buy some players, but adding nash and dwight is not the same as adding fish and perkins (who is a shaddow since that acl)

So

macc
10-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Mitch Kup gets overvalued so much on here. In all reality, it really doesn't matter who the GM of the Lakers is, they will always have great players. They are in LA, best weather in the US, Hollywood, major companies who can offer great endorsement deals that NBA agents tell their players to jump on, TV deals....ect.

Put Mitch Kup on the Bucks and let's see him get a Howard, Paul...ect. It won't happen. So when some of you are praising Kup as the greatest GM ever, think about what team is under his control. The team/location and all the other perks lure in top FA's, the GM doesn't...or has very little to do with it.

2-ONE-5
10-04-2012, 03:00 PM
hes an opposing coach he should hate them.