PDA

View Full Version : NBA Defines "Flopping" Rule; Fines up to $30K

SteBO
10-03-2012, 01:52 PM
The NBA is now a no-flop zone. The price for acting? Up to a $30,000 fine, and then possibly even a suspension, according to rules announced Wednesday.

No, David Stern was not kidding around when he said he wanted to take acting out of the equation when it came to attempts to deceive his referees.

Get caught on video review the first time for embellishing contact and there will be a warning.

And then the fun starts:

Violation 1: Warning
Violation 2: $5,000 fine
Violation 3: $10,000 fine
Violation 4: $15,000 fine
Violation 5: $30,000 fine
So what is a flop?

The NBA provided its formal definition Wednesday:

"Flopping will be defined as any physical act that appears to have been intended to cause the referees to call a foul on another player. The primary factor in determining whether a player committed a flop is whether his physical reaction to contact with another player is inconsistent with what would reasonably be expected given the force or direction of the contact."

Wednesday's announcement was made by NBA Executive Vice President, Basketball Operations Stu Jackson.
"Flops have no place in our game," he said in a statement. "They either fool referees into calling undeserved fouls or fool fans into thinking the referees missed a foul call.

Read more here (http://http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/heat-blog/sfl-miami-heat-nba-flopping-s100312,0,3040975.story)

heyman321
10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
And this is why Stern is a GREAT comissioner, despite the misguided notion that most of you have that he is a bad one.

ManningToTyree
10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
About time. Will these fines really discourage players from flopping? It would take a fifth offense for the fine to be substantial for someone with an NBA salary.

HaruSoul
10-03-2012, 02:01 PM
Hopefully they stick to it and actually fine people as often as they should.

chi-townlove1
10-03-2012, 02:02 PM
About time. Will these fines really discourage players from flopping? It would take a fifth offense for the fine to be substantial for someone with an NBA salary.

haha but at the rate that these babies do it, they will hit that mark in no time

heyman321
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM

I would imagine suspensions come after a fifth offense.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
Doubt it changes to much when it comes to stars.

I was hoping for like a retroactive technical, but at least they are trying to clean it up.

ManningToTyree
10-03-2012, 02:08 PM
And this is why Stern is a GREAT comissioner, despite the misguided notion that most of you have that he is a bad one.

I hope you don't actually expect stardom from Landry Fields.

rapjuicer06
10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Hmm, the Heat might actually have to play ball now. Interesting ;)

ManningToTyree
10-03-2012, 02:09 PM
haha but at the rate that these babies do it, they will hit that mark in no time

true. I expect an abundance of fines early on. Hard to break old habits.

phi2134
10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
What happens after five? 30k a pop then?

ManningToTyree
10-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I would imagine suspensions come after a fifth offense.

I hope so.

JNoel
10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
This is ridiculous, how does a ref know if a player purposely flops? Or what if a player doesn't intentionally flop, yet finds himself $30,000 lighter? I do agree with punishing players, but c'mon.

Ebbs
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Honestly I don't know that I like this. Flopping has alwasy been part of the game.

AKAYaReal
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Is a fine per game or per flop. Some may say it wont effect stars but some players can hit the $30,000 mark in one game. I can see a player getting hit wit a $150,000 fine after just one game.

SteBO
10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
This is ridiculous, how does a ref know if a player purposely flops? Or what if a player doesn't intentionally flop, yet finds himself $30,000 lighter? I do agree with punishing players, but c'mon.
Video review of the questionable calls after games.....obviously it's tough to truly determine that in real time.

douglas
I think the NBA will be a better league without flippy floppies.

mekedubs

^^^Exactly! If you really want to discourage players from flopping, the first offense should be a warning, then $30,000 and up... Then suspensions after probably the 4th offense... That would really discourge some of these guys like LeBron James, Paul Pierce, DeWyane Wade, the ENTIRE Clippers team, etc. from doing these absolute OBVIOUS flops... And other teams and players take notice and this should really, really be enforced... Let's clean this game up and get back to competitive basketball... I'm a product of the 80's and early to mid 90's basketball fan when guys used to WANT to play physical... Now it's like the bigger the "contract" the lesser the "contact"...

TheNumber37
10-03-2012, 02:16 PM
It's a step forward. But The refs are going to have a tough time calling charges if a lot less guys are getting knocked over. Does a flop call inducing "action" like the one they refer to also include screaming out in falsetto agony?

davids22
10-03-2012, 02:22 PM

It's going to be looked at by review after the game. So while a charge or block will be called in the game, the decision of whether it was a flop will come after the game. Therefore, no personal or technical fouls will be called for flopping during the actual game. Just blocks and charges. That way, the refs can continue to do the job they're doing.

Therefore, this isn't going to change the game AT ALL. This is a non-issue. I doubt a star player cares if he finds out 2 days after a game (that they won) that he got fined $5,000. This is David Stern just bending over to what the general public wants.

It's funny how some of you think this will dynamically change the game. The Lebrons, Hardens, CP3s, Manus, etc are still all going to be doing what they've been doing.

Honestly, the only way to STOP flopping is to let the refs call a "flopping foul" during the game, which would be a personal or technical foul. THEN players will begin to think twice about flopping.

AKAYaReal
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Only problem I see will be the players association will be called in for every fine. It will take a season, but the floppers will understand "the jig is up".

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 02:25 PM
Blake Griffin will be in debt after this season

topdog
10-03-2012, 02:29 PM
It's a step forward. But The refs are going to have a tough time calling charges if a lot less guys are getting knocked over. Does a flop call inducing "action" like the one they refer to also include screaming out in falsetto agony?

That really shouldn't be an issue as a flop is defined as "inconsistent physical reaction to contact." This means you can still go to the floor if you get hit - you just can't fly across it.

AKAYaReal
10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
It's going to be looked at by review after the game. So while a charge or block will be called in the game, the decision of whether it was a flop will come after the game. Therefore, no personal or technical fouls will be called for flopping during the actual game. Just blocks and charges. That way, the refs can continue to do the job they're doing.

Therefore, this isn't going to change the game AT ALL. This is a non-issue. I doubt a star player cares if he finds out 2 days after a game (that they won) that he got fined $5,000. This is David Stern just bending over to what the general public wants.

It's funny how some of you think this will dynamically change the game. The Lebrons, Hardens, CP3s, Manus, etc are still all going to be doing what they've been doing.

Honestly, the only way to STOP flopping is to let the refs call a "flopping foul" during the game, which would be a personal or technical foul. THEN players will begin to think twice about flopping.

So being suspended for a game wont affect a star or his team as a result?

The league basically is treating this like how they treat unsportsmanlike conduct techs in a sense, yes the tech hurt the team right there but get to 12 or what ever the number is and every other one from there on is a suspension. You are not just hurting yourself but also your team.

LakersKB24
10-03-2012, 02:37 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction, because flopping does ruin the game. It's also the right decision to review the plays after the game, I mean it's not like the refs call a foul on purpose when they know it actually was a flop. They call it how they see it and players probably wouldn't be too intimidated. Plus, a lot of innocent players might get hit with a tech or whatever.

I would adjust the fines to the player's salary though. The more you earn, the higher your fine, because the sad thing about flopping is that a lot of superstars do it. They get way more calls than other players anyway and are not really in need of more foul calls... Other than that I'm glad that the NBA finally did something

heyman321
10-03-2012, 02:41 PM

That's not true at all. First of all such a judgement would be too hard to call in a game AT THE MOMENT. What if the ref incorrectly calls a tech for a flop on a star player say Lebron, and he's ejected. But post game review shows he did not flop at all?

Fact is, stars and others flop MULTIPLE times during a game. I can say Harden and Chris Paul flop at least 3 times PER GAME. You're talking as if flopping occurs once every 20 games, it doesn't. It's going to quickly add up so that Lebron, Wade, CP360, Harden, Ginobili will at least think twice about it.

dc5jdm
10-03-2012, 02:43 PM
Who do u think will lead the League in money lost this season?

Hellcrooner
10-03-2012, 02:48 PM
So, when this tin pole http://content.draftexpress.com/gallery/DonatasMotiejunas/1233896548.jpg

Gets wacked/charged by an oaf like Perkins , Dwight or Bynum and consecuently gets blown away flying in the air he will get fined.

:rolleyes:

Stupid rules.

lilchuckdoubles
10-03-2012, 02:50 PM
a) i think it would be cooler if ref were allowed to give out technicals to a player that flopped.
b) stern's gotta hold his refs accountable, flopping wouldn't b such a big issue if the refs just let these guys play.

C-Style
10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
I dont think players would like to be viewed as the biggest floppers in the game and the numbrr of fines will discourage that

Hellcrooner
10-03-2012, 02:52 PM
So, what kind of suspension does a player get if he leaves the game in a wheelchari crying and moaning to then go back and do the Willis Reed morale thing ?

80 games? they get their ring removed?

:D

C-Style
10-03-2012, 02:55 PM
a) i think it would be cooler if ref were allowed to give out technicals to a player that flopped.
b) stern's gotta hold his refs accountable, flopping wouldn't b such a big issue if the refs just let these guys play.

No because players get 2 technicals a game and then they get kicked out the game

KingsMadness44
10-03-2012, 03:03 PM

You worried that your entire team is going to go broke.

DR_1
10-03-2012, 03:09 PM
I love this. IMO the penalties should be steeper as the player doesn't really feel the hit until the 5th offense, but it's a step in the right direction. Never thought I'd say this, but Good work Stern.

JiffyMix88
10-03-2012, 03:19 PM

no he is still terrible rondo trys to start a fight with hinrich back in 09 when he runs into hinrich on purpose no suspension no nothing james posey did the samething 3 years prior and got a 2 game suspension, also for more recent events jason smith tackles blake griffin gets suspended dwayne wade does the samething to darren collison, nothing. he isn't consistent enough especially with superstars. so go coke stern some more

SeoulBeatz
10-03-2012, 03:26 PM
wow, D Stern finally does something right.

Flopping needs to stop, and this is the correct way to go about it.

zB_#85
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Ginobili and LeBron are somewhere unhappy right now.

JNoel
10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
You worried that your entire team is going to go broke.

No, I'm just worried about players being fined for possibly not meaning to flop and getting a hefty fine because of these rules.

da ThRONe
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Just another piss poor move to save face. I detest flopping as much as the next fan, but I can't support dumb rules. Most flops that's obvious enough to fine should be obvious enough to get right on the court. This isn't protecting refs from being deceived it's babying them and putting the blame on the players. It's not the players job to be honest with the refs it's the refs job to make the right calls.

Randy West
10-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Don't like flopping but I don't like this either. How about a fine for an offensive player making hard contact or initiating contact with the defender?

Guy is set with two feet in position offensive player gets ball in post and then just keeps trying to bump and bump and bump the guy out of position. Now why is the foul on the defender if he falls over?? He does not have to give into the offensive player, he has position.

It will be interesting to see how the ref's and league office handle this new rule.

29$JerZ
10-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Manu, Harden, Griffin, Delfino are highly upset

ChicagoJ
10-03-2012, 03:44 PM
I think this is a move in the right direction. The most important thing is this can't turn into a total flop move by the league, meaning this needs to work. If it becomes a joke they will just remove the rule at some point. Or it will just become irrelevant.

I hope it works, because the flopping is way out of control, especially from star players who get all the calls go their way.

brodawgs
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
:clap: Bravo :clap:

NBA can now be considered legitimate as long as the rule is enforced. Looking the other way when cowards try and play the game dishonestly questioned the integrity of the NBA, let's see how this works out.

Ollie Tabooger
10-03-2012, 03:56 PM
If the NBA actually goes through with this like they say they will, Dwyane Wade will have about zero dollars at the end of the season.

Gram
10-03-2012, 03:57 PM
PSD should start implementing fines for backseat modding now.

NoahH
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Ginobili will get five offences is one game!

davids22
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
So being suspended for a game wont affect a star or his team as a result?

The league basically is treating this like how they treat unsportsmanlike conduct techs in a sense, yes the tech hurt the team right there but get to 12 or what ever the number is and every other one from there on is a suspension. You are not just hurting yourself but also your team.

First off, we don't even know what the penalty is going to be if you exceed the 5th offense. Whether it's an additional fine or a suspension.

That's not true at all. First of all such a judgement would be too hard to call in a game AT THE MOMENT. What if the ref incorrectly calls a tech for a flop on a star player say Lebron, and he's ejected. But post game review shows he did not flop at all?

Fact is, stars and others flop MULTIPLE times during a game. I can say Harden and Chris Paul flop at least 3 times PER GAME. You're talking as if flopping occurs once every 20 games, it doesn't. It's going to quickly add up so that Lebron, Wade, CP360, Harden, Ginobili will at least think twice about it.

Do you REALLY think the league is going to review EVERY game of EVERY team to find the most nitpicky flops? Listen, players flop every game, we get it. But they are only going to fine the most egregious flops out there, such as this flop (http://youtu.be/2h60uviwKC0)by Bosh, this flop (http://youtu.be/SBLxh2uXpEE)by Harden, and this flop (http://youtu.be/u0aXjHfvlPg) by Reggie Evans. They are not going to call 3 flops a game on certain players because many of those calls are 50/50 on whether it was a block or a charge. And they are not going to fine a player just because a referee made a judgment call and didn't see the player shuffling his feet and called the foul incorrectly.

IndyRealist
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Just another piss poor move to save face. I detest flopping as much as the next fan, but I can't support dumb rules. Most flops that's obvious enough to fine should be obvious enough to get right on the court. This isn't protecting refs from being deceived it's babying them and putting the blame on the players. It's not the players job to be honest with the refs it's the refs job to make the right calls.

I'm guessing you've never reffed at all. The contact happens in a split second with other players in the way. That's why most major sports use instant replay now for a variety of situations. The NBA doesn't want to slow down the game, so they're pushing the video review to after the game.

torocan
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
This isn't a perfect solution, but I think it's a good step.

While assigning technicals would have been ideal, people do watch their wallets. Over a long 80+ game season, these could stack up very, very fast.

The main benefit I see from this is that these fines will get players out of the habit of reflexively flopping at every opportunity. This doesn't mean players will stop flopping entirely, but it will probably result in fewer flops, or flops that are more strategically executed.

It will be interesting to see how quickly and often they start handing out these flop fines, and at what point they start handing out technicals. If they do it well, I can easily see it becoming a real deterrent as we get closer to playoff time, similar to the impact of flagrant foul technicals.

My main concern is that the standard for judging a flop post-game will be consistent. The last thing I want to see is the NBA babying the big names to avoid them from getting game suspensions. Only way we'll know is see how it gets reffed post-game.

FreakaNashur
10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
chris paul is a 12 time violator 2 games into the season
NBA doesn't do anything and just stops paying attention to flopping again

wait for it.

NYSPORTSALLDAY
10-03-2012, 06:06 PM
What's Lebron gonna do now?

soundjunkies2
10-03-2012, 06:23 PM
It's being fought by the NBPA

NBPA announces it will file grievance and unfair labor practices charge against #NBA over new flopping fines.

Billy Hunter: "The NBA is not permitted to unilaterally impose new economic discipline... without first bargaining with the union."

http://twitter.com/kbergcbs

broncofangene
10-03-2012, 06:32 PM
The spurs as a team will contribute a small fortune to this fund. Ginobli will be working for free all year. I'm surprised Popavich isn't protesting this

--23--
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Fines should be a a little bit more steeper but this is a good start.

Interesting question... How will they handle if a player flops on the final seconds of crucial playoff/finals game, which helps their team win?

*Silver&Black*
10-03-2012, 06:52 PM
Now we can complain why they call flopping calls on some players and not others (you already know that LeBron or Paul will not get called as much as they should).

asandhu23
10-03-2012, 06:55 PM
Now we can complain why they call flopping calls on some players and not others (you already know that LeBron or Paul will not get called as much as they should).

def. i was thinking that earlier. big stars are going to get away with this ****. What's 30k to LeBron? dude's invested more money in his backup backup car's rims.

ZebraCity916
10-03-2012, 07:03 PM
I love that this rule is in place. I got a feeling that players are gonna get fined for no reason though.

Minimal
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Some 30k flops right here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEx4JUDeyAQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNxiWES8G0o
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIkBjuVGbb4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBLxh2uXpEE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQ247wtv8hU
Ballerinas aint gonna dance anymore.
Stern did a really good thing for the league.

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2012, 07:11 PM
So does that me the whole Heat organization will have to pay a fine every game?

da ThRONe
10-03-2012, 07:26 PM
I'm guessing you've never reffed at all. The contact happens in a split second with other players in the way. That's why most major sports use instant replay now for a variety of situations. The NBA doesn't want to slow down the game, so they're pushing the video review to after the game.

We all know the league rewards certain behaviors. Flopping being one of them. I'm not trying to say reffing any sport is easy however as a ref you have to call what you see not what you presume. It's like being an eye witness. You can't testify to what you presume happened only what you saw happened. That IMO would eliminate the overwhelmingly majority of flopping. If a offensive player go in a throw up a ridiculous shot acting for a call but rarely get the call I can guarantee he won't do it anymore because his stats would be awful after all the misses.

WVNowitzki
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
"It's good. Guys can't be flopping and get away with it anymore," Oklahoma City guard ">James Harden said. "It was bound to happen at some point. Obviously, the league got fed up with it and they put it in. I'm happy they did."

- Hahahah ok James Harden, you're one of the worst ones.

Also, what is Wade gonna have, like 10ppg this year? These rules kill his game.

Teeboy1487
10-03-2012, 07:31 PM
I love this. Stern did good here. Flopping is basically cheating imo. A flaw in the game too many players take advantage of. I love this rule.

KnickaBocka.44
10-03-2012, 07:53 PM

The blame should be on the players though. The game should be played with integrity and flopping is an attempt to decieve the referee in order to gain an advantage.

The reviews will also give the referees an idea of who flops more so the players will eventually get a reputation for their behavior and not get the benefit of the doubt.

Like many have said, it's not going to solve the problem entirely but it gives the Emmy Award winners something to think about.

davids22
10-03-2012, 08:43 PM
This isn't going to solve anything you guys. I doubt it even passes if the NBAPA is opposing it.

So is Dwyane Wade's pump-fake going to be called a "flop"? Because that's just smart basketball. It's cheap but it's called "drawing a foul". Is every player who tries to draw a foul going to be called for a "flop" now?

What I'm talking about... (http://youtu.be/5hBIE50xCUo)

KnickaBocka.44
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
This isn't going to solve anything you guys. I doubt it even passes if the NBAPA is opposing it.

So is Dwyane Wade's pump-fake going to be called a "flop"? Because that's just smart basketball. It's cheap but it's called "drawing a foul". Is every player who tries to draw a foul going to be called for a "flop" now?

The difference between drawing a foul and flopping is distinguishable. If Wade pump fakes and his man leans into Wade's space in order to block it, it's a foul. If his man goes straight up and Wade jumps into him, then it shouldn't be a foul. But that isn't even what this rule is addressing.

The aim of this rule is to stop players from overexagerating contact in the hopes of influencing the referees into giving them the benefit of the doubt.

MrfadeawayJB
10-03-2012, 09:25 PM
This seems like it wont change much for the stars (ie, Paul, Griffin, Lebron, Wade, Manu, etc...)

MrfadeawayJB
10-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I think it's a step in the right direction, because flopping does ruin the game. It's also the right decision to review the plays after the game, I mean it's not like the refs call a foul on purpose when they know it actually was a flop. They call it how they see it and players probably wouldn't be too intimidated. Plus, a lot of innocent players might get hit with a tech or whatever.

I would adjust the fines to the player's salary though. The more you earn, the higher your fine, because the sad thing about flopping is that a lot of superstars do it. They get way more calls than other players anyway and are not really in need of more foul calls... Other than that I'm glad that the NBA finally did something

THIS. It would be more beneficial imo to fine a % of each players salary. Then you aren't bankrupting young guys who could be called for flopping and dont have much salary

Raps08-09 Champ
10-03-2012, 09:43 PM
And here you guys think he's in favour of the Miami Heat. :rolleyes:

He's basically ****ing the team over.

SouthSideRookie
10-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Is a fine per game or per flop. Some may say it wont effect stars but some players can hit the $30,000 mark in one game. I can see a player getting hit wit a $150,000 fine after just one game.

http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Blake+Griffin+Miami+Heat+v+Los+Angeles+Clippers+bT Y8I36vrUNl.jpg

I think the NBA will be a better league without flippy floppies.
and there goes the Spurs and Clippers chances.

Who do u think will lead the League in money lost this season?

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/220/519930567_1e4e5bf79d.jpg

YashBoone
10-04-2012, 07:51 AM

When a player that is 250llbs 6'8" and he throws his hands up in the air and falls to the ground in pain, when all the defender did was lightly touch his arm (cough cough Lebron James) that is called a flop. And it happend a lot, with lots of players.
Non of us can deny it.

But I think there is a huge difference between drawing contact and flopping
... We have all seen guys go go to the Rim and hold a body part in pain when there is little to no contact. We have all seen a players swipe at the ball handler and touch nothing but air, but the ball handler acts as tho he got blasted...

I can live with guys like melo or Durant, who have masted drawing the foul when the defender has his hands out, but floppin sucks to watch when it is effecting the swing of a tight game

YashBoone
10-04-2012, 07:56 AM

Like I already said, you confused.
Drawing contact and a flop are two completely different things.
Dwade doing his patented pump fake to get guys in the air is perfectly fine, but when the defender jumps straight in the air and dwade leaps forward directly in to the guy, that should be a foul on dwade, if he initiates the contact.

But, that's still not flopping. Flopping is when Blake griffin acts like he was smacked in the face when all his defender did was swat at air......

SouthSideRookie
10-04-2012, 08:35 AM
Like I already said, you confused.
Drawing contact and a flop are two completely different things.
Dwade doing his patented pump fake to get guys in the air is perfectly fine, but when the defender jumps straight in the air and dwade leaps forward directly in to the guy, that should be a foul on dwade, if he initiates the contact.

But, that's still not flopping. Flopping is when Blake griffin acts like he was smacked in the face when all his defender did was swat at air......

http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/files/2012/05/Chris-Paul-flop-509-306x388.jpg

YashBoone
10-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Lol exactly ^

Tysons_Beard
10-04-2012, 09:13 AM
dont really like it but id like to see how it pans out

Nycbball08
10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
Jeff van Gundy must feel good right now.

da ThRONe
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
The blame should be on the players though. The game should be played with integrity and flopping is an attempt to decieve the referee in order to gain an advantage.

Says who? Players(the better ones) lie and manipulate the refs all the time. Are we going to start fining players for lying about hitting the ball out of bounds? Are we going to suspend players for whining for calls?

The reviews will also give the referees an idea of who flops more so the players will eventually get a reputation for their behavior and not get the benefit of the doubt.

Shouldn't they be doing this in the 1st place?

Like many have said, it's not going to solve the problem entirely but it gives the Emmy Award winners something to think about.

The only thing that will end flopping will be to not reward it. Same with children and why so many people are bad parents. We do everything that's easy to try and fit the problem, but completely avoid the root of the problem. I like the fact the league has acknowlegded the problem, but like my analogy their going about it the complete wrong way. And I think their avoiding the root of the problem because of the can of worms it opens. I think Battier kind of hinted at the problem.

KnickaBocka.44
10-04-2012, 12:22 PM
Says who? Players(the better ones) lie and manipulate the refs all the time. Are we going to start fining players for lying about hitting the ball out of bounds? Are we going to suspend players for whining for calls?

No, don't be ridiculous. On a close play where it might be hard for a ref to tell who hit the ball out of bounds of course players are going to point one way or the other. That is just so unbelievably different from flopping I'm not even going to address it.

Shouldn't they be doing this in the 1st place?
On the plane between games? No I don't. They are refs, not coaches who comb through gametape meticulously

The only thing that will end flopping will be to not reward it. Same with children and why so many people are bad parents. We do everything that's easy to try and fit the problem, but completely avoid the root of the problem. I like the fact the league has acknowlegded the problem, but like my analogy their going about it the complete wrong way. And I think their avoiding the root of the problem because of the can of worms it opens. I think Battier kind of hinted at the problem.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that the action on an NBA court is happening so fast that it is hard to tell if something is a flop or not in real time. There isn't time for refs to stop and wonder if a player is flopping or not before they blow the whistle, nor can they blow the whistle and then decide that there isn't an infraction.

ewmania
10-04-2012, 01:07 PM
so how will we credit a charge from flopping.. i guess they mean this

flopping
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafnB3RqO98

charge
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGlyZulxGpg

da ThRONe
10-04-2012, 01:43 PM
No, don't be ridiculous. On a close play where it might be hard for a ref to tell who hit the ball out of bounds of course players are going to point one way or the other. That is just so unbelievably different from flopping I'm not even going to address it.

Actually that's the same thing. How is one form of lying and deceit to get a desired call any different than another? You won't address it because you can't without compromising your defense.

On the plane between games? No I don't. They are refs, not coaches who comb through gametape meticulously

These are full time refs. This is their jobs. So like your reference to coaches it's their job so it should be the same with the refs.

You don't seem to be able to grasp the fact that the action on an NBA court is happening so fast that it is hard to tell if something is a flop or not in real time. There isn't time for refs to stop and wonder if a player is flopping or not before they blow the whistle, nor can they blow the whistle and then decide that there isn't an infraction.

I understand just fine. My problem is the league is so define now by fouls to bail players out. What I'm suggesting is getting rid of players dependence on refs. I'm ok with a few missed calls. If the results are less phantom calls. Also I suggested putting a 4th ref to compensate for the speed of the game. Another set of eyes would do the game wonders.

JollyRanch
10-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Yes! One step towards getting rid of this flopping ********. If I wanna watch fake sports, I'll watch WWE

Losoway
10-04-2012, 03:22 PM
the spurs will be in debt

Aust
10-04-2012, 05:51 PM
Everyone on the Clippers won't like this, especially Griffin.

KnickaBocka.44
10-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Actually that's the same thing. How is one form of lying and deceit to get a desired call any different than another? You won't address it because you can't without compromising your defense.

These are full time refs. This is their jobs. So like your reference to coaches it's their job so it should be the same with the refs.

I understand just fine. My problem is the league is so define now by fouls to bail players out. What I'm suggesting is getting rid of players dependence on refs. I'm ok with a few missed calls. If the results are less phantom calls. Also I suggested putting a 4th ref to compensate for the speed of the game. Another set of eyes would do the game wonders.

To your first point: It is different because on a tipped ball out of bounds, no one is given a foul and no one is awarded free throws. Yeah, it dictates posession but in most cases where the ball is tipped the actions of the player are not going to influence the refs neary as much as a flop would. The flop creates something that wasn't there to begin with whereas the out of bounds call had to be made one way or the other.

To your second point: You're right, they are full time refs, but they aren't refereeing the same teams all the time and some of the refs actually have more rigorous schedules than the players in terms of number of games officiated in a season. Also, they have people higher up in the league who re-watch the game film for questionable calls and the refs have to answer to them if they make a mistake.

Your third point I can agree with completely. I wish the game was more like it was in the 90's with hardnosed ball, but maybe this is the first step in getting it back that way.