PDA

View Full Version : Knicks are oldest team in history

justinnum1
10-03-2012, 12:34 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20442757/the-2012-13-knicks-are-the-oldest-team-in-nba-history

The Knicks are actually so old, they're historical. No, literally, they really are. Via the Wall Street Journal:

Assuming Wallace signs, their top 13 players would be, on average, 32 years and 240 days old—the oldest team in NBA history, according to Stats LLC. No team has ever gotten so much older from one season to the next.

Coincidentally, the 1997-98 Knicks, who got to the conference semifinals, were the NBA's oldest group before this year's team. Jeff Van Gundy, who coached the 1997 club, said he didn't see the long-in-the-tooth 2012 Knicks as troubling.

"They're not counting on their oldest players to be their best ones," the ESPN analyst said. "Plus, Kidd and these other guys love the game. That love won't negate Father Time, because Father Time is undefeated. But it might stave off a year or two."

I think it will help them tho, as long as they stay healthy which is a huge if, they have a lot of vet experience on that team.

Gram
10-03-2012, 12:35 PM
In before "bait thread :cry:".

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
It is so risky having all these old players, I hope they can stay healthy.

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
In before "bait thread :cry:".

;)

Jesse2272
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
I think it will help them tho, as long as they stay healthy which is a huge if, they have a lot of vet experience on that team.

I Agree we just have a very short window to make some noise

I believe our main core of players once shump returns and who will get the bulk of minutes average about 28 years

SluggeR
10-03-2012, 12:53 PM
All about nothing. People seem to leave out the fact that the older cats on the roster, are not expected to clock starters' minutes. There is not one of those older guys that is starting for us.

JNoel
10-03-2012, 01:26 PM
Knicks better pre order some wheelchairs before the season starts ;)

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2012, 01:41 PM

That's a good one. :)

RipCity32
10-03-2012, 01:42 PM
Knicks are trying to win now so I dont think having so many veterans hurts theyre chances at that.Look at the Celtics,Mavs,Lakers who have all won titles recentley.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I still don't think it was the right move. You only do this when you are a true championship contender, otherwise for a team like the Knicks, you are going to end up setting yourselves up for a longer rebuild in a handful of years from now.

Either way, I hope they stay healthy, shoot, I hope that for every team, I would like to see what kind of product they put out on the floor.

goose14741
One thing we have is an intimidation factor. Im 21 so I grew up watching late 90's early 2000 ball. Most of these plaayers learned half of their game from these vets. I still put ppl on the floor from years of watching camby and kurt. What does seeing kidd, camby, and sheed do to the minds of these young players? Theyre goin to be signing.autographs for half the rookies. Plus a rotation of big men surrounding camby, sheed, kurt thomas and chandler is frightning. No no the most talented but who would wanna drive into the middle of these animals. Maybe it wont win a championship but it sure as hell will be entertaining

C_Mund

Or a bunch of those Phil Jackson-esque high-chairs for their bench

Captain Moroni
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
It is so risky having all these old players, I hope they can stay healthy.

Why is it so risky? If Thomas goes down.....who cares? If Camby gets injured....we're still deep, if Kidd gts hurt....still better off at PG than a year ago.
If we're talking season ending surgeries, any team has that potential, see bulls; Chicago.

Camby played in more games than either melo or amare last year. This club has guys that can step right in if injuries happen. And by guys, I don't mean, jerome Jordan, mike bibby, tony Douglas, or a half baron Davis.
How nice would Pablo Pragioni have been last year?

goose14741
10-03-2012, 01:56 PM
We were so close to having kidd/nash and grant hill hahaha

JasonJohnHorn
10-03-2012, 01:57 PM
The core, which is Melo/Amare/Chandler/Felton, still has at least five years before there is any reason to worry. It's just the bench that's old, and frankly, only two guys coming off the bench that will be getting consistent minutes are that old (Kidd and Camby, and both proved last season that they can still contribute). I don't think people expect Wallace and Thomas to get a lot of minutes. They are just there for when guys get into foul trouble. Usually people have journeymen or rookies/sophomores who still don't get minutes in those positions, so the fact that you have battle tested vets coming in for those minutes gives you something most teams don't have.

Camby and Kidd will be playing at a level that is close to as good, or better than the players who they will be playing against. I mean, look at LAL, they got Duhan and Blake coming off the bench at PG, and yeah, that is a solid PG rotation, but I think most people would prefer having Kidd coming off the bench. And looking at Miami, Camby is better than any of the true centers that are even on that roster and that team won the NBA title last season!

Wallace and Thomas, as i said, will get few minutes and are better than any other 11th and 12th men that are in the league today.

The real question for NY isn't: How will the bench do? It's: How will the starting line-up do? Melo is perhaps the best player on the team and he isn't even the best player at his position! LBJ and Durant are both better than him. So that puts them at a distict disadvantage there. Amare was good, but is he now? I hope to see him return to form, but last season was a step back for him. I think most people would rather have Bosh or Gasol. And Chandler, though one of the best defenders and rebounders at his position, has no offensvie game. He anchors them on defence, will that be enough? And will Felton be back to the trim Felton that helped Amare lead the Knicks to over .500? Of the out of shape Felton that was losing minutes to his back-up in Portland? I'm a fan of the game, so I just like to watch good basketball. I'm hoping that Felton returns to the Felton that first put on an NY jersey and was handing out nearly 10 assists a game and a career high 17+ points, and that Melo and Amare paly like PRIME Melo and Amare and that Chandler shows everybody why he deserved the DPOY award and eats up whatever boards that Amare and Melo can't get to.

But yeah... NY's bench is good. Few teams in the league have a better bench than NY.

Captain Moroni
10-03-2012, 01:57 PM

For when they cripple he heat?
That would be thoughtful.

SteBO
10-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Considering that the older players will be coming off the bench anyway, I don't think it matters that much. What they do isn't going to determine their fate. Carmelo and Amare are going to have to step up their games if the Knicks hope to make any noise. I like what they've done with their roster to be honest, but it's on Melo and Amare to produce at a high level. Rasheed Wallace, Marcus Camby, and Jason Kidd are not guys that are going to put them over the top.....they're just role players.

BklynKnicks3
10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
more overhyped media bs to put down the knicks the starters are a avg age of 28.5. The only 2 role players who will play more then 10 minutes are Camby Kidd. Whats the issue here u want to say u dont like the team or the players on it fine but the age is not that big of a deal.

MetroMan
10-03-2012, 02:13 PM
knicks just want to fill up the seats

TheNumber37
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Age is nothing but a number. A number where the definition of old rises over time. Sports Managment, Therapy and training has improved dramatically in the 15 years. These guys have a lot left.

JNoel
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
For when they cripple he heat?
That would be thoughtful.

Tyson Chandler is a dirty player, so it's a possibility.

DoMeFavors
10-03-2012, 02:32 PM
They arent building a team they will have for many years, in 3 years this team will look SO different.

NYKnickFanatic
10-03-2012, 02:41 PM
Tyson Chandler is a dirty player, so it's a possibility.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafnB3RqO98

Im guessing you are referring to that? :laugh2:

29$JerZ
10-03-2012, 02:44 PM
I still don't think it was the right move. You only do this when you are a true championship contender, otherwise for a team like the Knicks, you are going to end up setting yourselves up for a longer rebuild in a handful of years from now.

Either way, I hope they stay healthy, shoot, I hope that for every team, I would like to see what kind of product they put out on the floor.

They realize 3 years is our only legit title chance, no matter how low or high our chances are.

Our rebuild won't be long. 2016 we have our 1st round Pick (swapped with Denver) and only have Iman, Novak and our 2013,2015 1st rounders on the books.

JNoel
10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oafnB3RqO98

Im guessing you are referring to that? :laugh2:

Not even that play, just watching him in general push guys around and sneaks elbows in every now and then leads me to believe he's a dirty player, but Russell Westbrook still sucks though.

ewing
10-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Class act

TeamSeattle
10-03-2012, 03:13 PM
Cool Thread. I'll remember the OP posted this.

SINCESTARBURY25
10-03-2012, 05:22 PM
I hope the team gets some older players.

KnicksorBust
10-03-2012, 05:32 PM
The core, which is Melo/Amare/Chandler/Felton, still has at least five years before there is any reason to worry. It's just the bench that's old, and frankly, only two guys coming off the bench that will be getting consistent minutes are that old (Kidd and Camby, and both proved last season that they can still contribute). I don't think people expect Wallace and Thomas to get a lot of minutes. They are just there for when guys get into foul trouble. Usually people have journeymen or rookies/sophomores who still don't get minutes in those positions, so the fact that you have battle tested vets coming in for those minutes gives you something most teams don't have.

Camby and Kidd will be playing at a level that is close to as good, or better than the players who they will be playing against. I mean, look at LAL, they got Duhan and Blake coming off the bench at PG, and yeah, that is a solid PG rotation, but I think most people would prefer having Kidd coming off the bench. And looking at Miami, Camby is better than any of the true centers that are even on that roster and that team won the NBA title last season!

Wallace and Thomas, as i said, will get few minutes and are better than any other 11th and 12th men that are in the league today.

The real question for NY isn't: How will the bench do? It's: How will the starting line-up do? Melo is perhaps the best player on the team and he isn't even the best player at his position! LBJ and Durant are both better than him. So that puts them at a distict disadvantage there. Amare was good, but is he now? I hope to see him return to form, but last season was a step back for him. I think most people would rather have Bosh or Gasol. And Chandler, though one of the best defenders and rebounders at his position, has no offensvie game. He anchors them on defence, will that be enough? And will Felton be back to the trim Felton that helped Amare lead the Knicks to over .500? Of the out of shape Felton that was losing minutes to his back-up in Portland? I'm a fan of the game, so I just like to watch good basketball. I'm hoping that Felton returns to the Felton that first put on an NY jersey and was handing out nearly 10 assists a game and a career high 17+ points, and that Melo and Amare paly like PRIME Melo and Amare and that Chandler shows everybody why he deserved the DPOY award and eats up whatever boards that Amare and Melo can't get to.

But yeah... NY's bench is good. Few teams in the league have a better bench than NY.

This is actually a really good post. Don't skip over it because it's long. :) The bold is spot-on.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
this is the exact team 'Melo and Amar'e need. Jkidd, Camby, and crazy eyes aren't gonna take **** from these primadonnas.

bholly
10-03-2012, 06:25 PM

Seriously? What is wrong with you? It's a genuinely interesting and thread-worthy fact, and he even spun it in a way to make it sound like a positive. What's the problem? You're so insecure about your team you need to get upset anytime anyone posts about them?

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
What's the point of being a Heats fan when you talk about th Knicks 95% of the time?

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2012, 06:33 PM
Seriously? What is wrong with you? It's a genuinely interesting and thread-worthy fact, and he even spun it in a way to make it sound like a positive. What's the problem? You're so insecure about your team you need to get upset anytime anyone posts about them?

It's a bait thread. A thread you can poke fun at the Knicks for being the oldest team in the league. Everybody knows the way Justin moves!

bholly
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM
If it was some irrelevant thing that was being twisted and used solely to try to make a team look bad, and wouldn't be posted otherwise, then it's a bait thread.
If it's something that's genuinely and historically interesting, then it's thread-worthy - it isn't a bait thread just because some people don't like it.

People talk about how old or young teams are constantly. A team being the oldest ever is interesting and threadworthy, regardless of who it is or how persecuted their fanbase feel.

ohreally
10-03-2012, 09:09 PM
The bench is way too over reliant on relics, and they will most likely be burned big time when combos of hem are on the floor together. OKC vs SAS? The Bullets and Raps will be looking like OKC.

I've never liked retreads. Seldom work out.

But it's Felton that's a major drawback since he'd really worn out his welcome before the Melo trade with poor decisions and wanting to be the hero at ends of games, and he's only gone downhill since. JR playing big minutes? Not sure about that either. Amare? No , I will be surprised if Hakeem has had any real effect on him. Melo? Yeah, I really believe he's all about team. Novak? Nice guy, great shooter if wide open, but I really can't stand the belt bit, and he disappears easily. Shump? Some very great signs as a rookie, some disturbing ones. Still a question on what he will really be, and that's not factoring the injury.

To me, this is a vey fragile team. Could work, but very risky.

knicks=love
10-03-2012, 09:16 PM

why because he's a heat fan? what does that matter? he posted saying they're the oldest team in history.. why the **** do you have to start an argument?

justin is a great poster, but you just fail to see that because all you see is him as a heat fan.

knicks=love
10-03-2012, 09:18 PM
What's the point of being a Heats fan when you talk about th Knicks 95% of the time?

because they're one of the 5 teams that everyone talks about anymore.. especially this offseason. who cares that a heat fan created the thread? he's not trolling or baiting, he's posting a true fact.

knicks=love
10-03-2012, 09:19 PM

welcome to the knicks forum :facepalm:

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
because they're one of the 5 teams that everyone talks about anymore.. especially this offseason. who cares that a heat fan created the thread? he's not trolling or baiting, he's posting a true fact.

I'm guessing you don't know Justin track record. But I'll leave it at that. Enjoy the thread!

NYKnicksAllDay
10-03-2012, 09:32 PM

And I'll remember that you remembered him posting this.

Jesse2272
10-03-2012, 09:45 PM
And ill remember you, remembering him, remembering him posting this

NYKnicksAllDay
10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
Never forget.

knicks=love
10-03-2012, 09:54 PM
I'm guessing you don't know Justin track record. But I'll leave it at that. Enjoy the thread!

i know justin. i've played in psd games with him and he's a cool dude. he knows his stuff and is extremely more knowledgable than you are. i really don't understand how this is a bait thread when he's posting a fact saying the knicks are the oldest team? it's not an opinion, it's the truth.

GiantsSwaGG
10-03-2012, 10:32 PM
i know justin. i've played in psd games with him and he's a cool dude. he knows his stuff and is extremely more knowledgable than you are. i really don't understand how this is a bait thread when he's posting a fact saying the knicks are the oldest team? it's not an opinion, it's the truth.

And I can easily say DoMeFavors is more knowledgable than you but that's neither here or there. You don't know me son but like I said, I'll leave it at that. 95% of Knicks fans as well as others know what I'm talking about. I fell its a bait thread, maybe he had go intention maybe not, but his track proves he baits Knicks fans. Enjoy the thread!

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 10:48 PM
And ill remember you, remembering him, remembering him posting this

:laugh:

knicks=love
10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
And I can easily say DoMeFavors is more knowledgable than you but that's neither here or there. You don't know me son but like I said, I'll leave it at that. 95% of Knicks fans as well as others know what I'm talking about. I fell its a bait thread, maybe he had go intention maybe not, but his track proves he baits Knicks fans. Enjoy the thread!

:laugh2: this is coming from the poster who quit on the giants last year after they lost to seattle.

those 95% of knicks fans on this site also think melo is a top 10 player, when he's clearly not. take the blinders off, kid. it wasn't a bait thread, unless comprehension was a tough part of school for you. why would he post a fact and try to bait/troll off of it? having the vet experience on the bench and in the locker room is a good thing. i'm guessing you'd rather have toney douglas and jeremy lin.

WAYNEBO
10-03-2012, 11:28 PM
With little cap room and minutes available for role players, what choice did NYK have? Heat had to sign 37yo Ray Ray. Same scenario.

Top-heavy teams have 2 choices to fill out their roster: 1) sift through street free agents, D-league callups and young unprovens with high motors but questionable skills, or 2) bring in savvy vets at critical back-up positions that have skills only experience can teach. Let me elaborate my thinking....

Rebounding and shot-blocking: Ask the Worm. It is an art form to know how to position for a board. Camby has been beating Father Time year in and year out, because HE KNOWS HOW TO WRANGLE in the paint. 9 board average @ 38yo??? I'll take that as a backup any day of the week. That's like fielding 2 Lopez brothers at the same time, at 1 position.

Passing and leadership: Nobody here will question JKidd's BB IQ or passing ability as a floor general. So he can't jet like the youngins... who cares? He is there for spot minutes, mentorship and closing out games with his MIND.

The haters and doubters please continue to focus on median team age rather than what the core of talent is gearing up for. I like the Knicks to come in with a chip on their shoulder. Please continue the hate.

NYKnicksAllDay
10-04-2012, 01:16 PM
:catfight:

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
They shouldnt sign Wallace. Sure, he brings toughness, but he is also a liability on the defensive end

ColtsSpursTerps
10-04-2012, 01:30 PM
holy ****

Da Knicks
10-04-2012, 01:47 PM

:clap: thank you sir, very well written...

Jroz
10-04-2012, 01:51 PM
We were so close to having kidd/nash and grant hill hahaha

and if we did this thread would still be opened..can't win :rolleyes:

D-Leethal
10-04-2012, 02:00 PM
JVG hit it on the head. Our core guys are all in their respective primes and we have a young stud in Shump. The guys our team is depending on are all in their primes and their supporting cast are all vets. For comparison's sake, I think the C's are going to be sick this year, as does the rest of the world, but they are relying on 35-36 year olds to be their 1st and 2nd offensive options.

Nycbball08
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM
You people act like young teams don't get hurt 2... All this crap about "if only they can stay healthy".... Blake griffin / Greg Oden/ kyrie Irving/ Stephen Curry and many more young players gets injured every year..

Nycbball08
10-04-2012, 02:34 PM
:laugh2: this is coming from the poster who quit on the giants last year after they lost to seattle.

those 95% of knicks fans on this site also think melo is a top 10 player, when he's clearly not. take the blinders off, kid. it wasn't a bait thread, unless comprehension was a tough part of school for you. why would he post a fact and try to bait/troll off of it? having the vet experience on the bench and in the locker room is a good thing. i'm guessing you'd rather have toney douglas and jeremy lin.

And who gets to decide whether or not Melo is a top 10 player ?... It's a matter of opinion which we all have a right to... And for the record i also think he is a top 10 player..

JayW_1023
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Now Knicks fans know how Spurs fans feel EVERY DAMN YEAR.

knicks=love
10-04-2012, 04:00 PM
And who gets to decide whether or not Melo is a top 10 player ?... It's a matter of opinion which we all have a right to... And for the record i also think he is a top 10 player..

i know it's an opinion, and i have nothing wrong with opinions, but when 90-95% of the knicks forum is saying he's the best, and better than "player X" or "player Y" when he's not, it gets old and annoying trying to convince certain people that he actually isn't.. and they'll keep the homer blinders on because they don't want to be wrong on the internet. of course, he CAN become a top 10 player.. he's surely got the talent for it, but his lack of being a defensive liability hits him hard and that's why i, as well as most of PSD, see him out of the top 10. he's a great player, but he's not top 10 in my mind due to his defense.

knicks=love
10-04-2012, 04:07 PM
:laugh2: quit? Hmmm that's too strong of a word, lets say more like didn't believe we would make the playoffs after getting spanked by the skins and being 7-7. But this is the NBA forum, stay on topic kid.

You're either Justin's girlfriend or that dumb. He doesn't like the Knicks and every thread he starts is something negative about em. That's like making a thread about the bobcats being the worst team in nba history and I dislike them.
Dude, u feel its not a bait thread, I feel it is. Like I said Idc, so idk why you're sucking ** ****. Like I said enjoy the thread.

you're lucky i'm too lazy to find the posts. everyone in the giants forum bashed you because you gave up and said we sucked. i guess you really aren't "giants #1 fan", huh?

what heat fan does like the knicks? that doesn't mean everything he says is negative towards the team. i hate the celtics, but i'm not going to sit here and say that they're going to be a horrendous team. they'll be a top team in the east for sure. why? THEY HAVE VETERAN EXPERIENCE. just like we do.. and just like this thread is saying, but all you see is a heat fan posting a thread about the knicks being old (which is actually true on all levels) and him trying to bait knicks fans when he's not.

now am i saying we'll be a top team in the east? possibly. no one knows because this team hasn't played together as a whole yet.

Cromedome
10-04-2012, 04:39 PM
LOL....

Anyway, the Knicks might be old but it's not like Camby forgot how to defend the paint. Great BACKUP center.

Corey
10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
The people that are bashing Justin...are you serious?

This is a completely legitimate thread, and it's definitely noteworthy.

You all give Justin so much **** because of how he used to post. If you'd open your eyes and stop basing **** off reputations, you'd see that he doesn't even troll much at all anymore.

If you guys actually read the OP, you'd realize that Justin said that he thinks experience is a good thing for this Knicks team, which I agree with. Surrounding their talent with fairly skilled veterans is a good thing. They'll keep personalities in line and keep the team focused. Assuming they stay healthy, adding this many older players could really benefit the Knicks moving forward this season.

Andrew32
10-04-2012, 05:37 PM
The Knicks are old and wise.
That is why they will win the Championship this year.

:win:

StarvingKnick22
10-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Well our staring lineup is considerably young. But we always need a balance of these type of things.

KnickaBocka.44
10-04-2012, 06:46 PM
The people that are bashing Justin...are you serious?

This is a completely legitimate thread, and it's definitely noteworthy.

You all give Justin so much **** because of how he used to post. If you'd open your eyes and stop basing **** off reputations, you'd see that he doesn't even troll much at all anymore.

If you guys actually read the OP, you'd realize that Justin said that he thinks experience is a good thing for this Knicks team, which I agree with. Surrounding their talent with fairly skilled veterans is a good thing. They'll keep personalities in line and keep the team focused. Assuming they stay healthy, adding this many older players could really benefit the Knicks moving forward this season.

This is true, I like the new Justin.