PDA

View Full Version : Royce White out of Rockets training camp because of anxiety issues

aaronmckie
10-03-2012, 09:43 AM
Did people really not see this coming? How did this guy even get drafted?

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/eye-on-basketball/20435610/royce-white-out-of-training-camp-because-of-anxiety-issues

allday823
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
This sucks I was really pulling for this kid. His talent and skill set is unbelievable, hopefully he can find a way to resolve his issues. He potentially has a long and bright career ahead of him, " the saddest thing in life is wasted talent"

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
Feel bad for the kid.
Hope he can get over it.

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
He'll be back before the end of training camp. You don't spend a 16th round pick and pay a kid millions of dollars for him to sit out for weeks due to anxiety.

Corey
10-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Celtics fans bashed me so much for emphasizing his anxiety issue during the draft process.

Saw this coming.

IndyRealist
10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
Newness is not fun for people with anxiety disorders. He needs to desensitize himself to flying and to his new surroundings. I know, not easy to put a 6'8", 300lb guy in a tin can 10,000ft in the air, knowing he's going to freak out. He also needs to live in the Rockets gym right now, just out there alone putting up shots with no pressure from teammates or coaches.

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 11:00 AM
Celtics fans bashed me so much for emphasizing his anxiety issue during the draft process.

Saw this coming.

I think people will make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is. The dude clearly has some anxiety issues and is about to play minutes in the freaking NBA playing in front of millions of fans on television and making millions of dollars. Of course this wasn't going to be the easiest transition for him.

The way I look at it, there are two kinds of people. The kind who just jump into a cold pool without checking the temperature first and the kind who stick their toes in and slowly get further and further in until they're immersed. Either way, they'll get used to the temperature eventually. White's just that second type. He'll be fine as the season progresses.

DoMeFavors
10-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Damn so I guess its serious anxiety not just minor

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 11:55 AM
I dont feel bad for him at all. Get over it

uprightciti
10-03-2012, 11:58 AM
let him play home games and stay put in houston

QueensG_718
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM
Cmon son? Really? Give me an opportunity like that and i wont act like a ***** about it..he sounds soft as hell..

DoMeFavors
10-03-2012, 12:05 PM

Its not easy you cant just get over it, its psychological

TheNumber37
10-03-2012, 12:14 PM
Skills wise he's probably in the top 5. He needs to play for a team that's in a small quiet market.

Corey
10-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I think people will make a bigger deal out of this than it actually is. The dude clearly has some anxiety issues and is about to play minutes in the freaking NBA playing in front of millions of fans on television and making millions of dollars. Of course this wasn't going to be the easiest transition for him.

The way I look at it, there are two kinds of people. The kind who just jump into a cold pool without checking the temperature first and the kind who stick their toes in and slowly get further and further in until they're immersed. Either way, they'll get used to the temperature eventually. White's just that second type. He'll be fine as the season progresses.

Cant blame you for being optimistic, but I dont think it's going to just go away gradually. He's been having issues for quite a while.

He was skipping workouts over the summer because of fear of flying, and he left town early in college to allow time to drive to some road games because he couldn't handle flying.

Sometimes it wont be an issue. Other times he'll have an attack and it will set him back. Anxiety attacks are random and unpredictable. There's no telling what's going to trigger an episode.

Corey
10-03-2012, 12:26 PM

Please tell me you're trolling.

Cmon son? Really? Give me an opportunity like that and i wont act like a ***** about it..he sounds soft as hell..

You have no idea what you're talking about. Sorry.

It's a psychological disorder. He isn't 'being a *****'. Give me a break.

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Cant blame you for being optimistic, but I dont think it's going to just go away gradually. He's been having issues for quite a while.

He was skipping workouts over the summer because of fear of flying, and he left town early in college to allow time to drive to some road games because he couldn't handle flying.

Sometimes it wont be an issue. Other times he'll have an attack and it will set him back. Anxiety attacks are random and unpredictable. There's no telling what's going to trigger an episode.

I do think it's something that could continue to impact him as a player, but I don't think it's something that will be completely detrimental to his game or the team. I'm more worried about his abilities than his anxiety. The guy needs to improve his jump shot and play better defense if he wants to be a starter in this league.

But if he doesn't excel in the NBA, I don't think it will be because of his anxiety disorder. I think it will be his ability as a player. And at the 16th spot and three overall picks in the top 18, the Rockets were in a position to gamble a bit.

RipCity32
10-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Hopefully he can overcome this because I think the kid has a ton of potential.

Ebbs
10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
Super sad. I saw a girl once who had anxiety issues. I don't think people understand its an actual issue. They can't help it there not being "soft". I hope he can over come this

zB_#85
10-03-2012, 12:56 PM
He'll be back before the end of training camp. You don't spend a 16th round pick and pay a kid millions of dollars for him to sit out for weeks due to anxiety.

lol. you can't fix someone else's anxiety for them. so in this case, yes it does look like the Rockets spent a 16th pick and paid a kid millions for him to sit out b/c of anxiety.

FutureGM
10-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Really sad stuff. I was hoping that he would end up being a huge part of what the Rockets were starting to build.

This is exactly why so many GMs were passing on him I guess. Who knew it was this bad.

JasonJohnHorn
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't beleive how heartless some of you are being. Mental illness is just like any other illness. If this was cancer or something everybody would be saying: "Oh, I hope he gets better." But because it's a mental illness half of you are just saying: "Get over it."

This is why it's so hard for people to be open about these things, because of the stigma attached to it. This kid is very talented and he has some issues he's got to deal with. Fans should take the same approach the Rockets organization is taking and just support him.

SMH as how ignorant so many of you are.

HotMayo
10-03-2012, 01:13 PM
I was pulling for this guy. I'll pray for him to make it through.

People posting and making fun of him calling him soft are ignorant as ****. Watch your mouths, this is a very serious issue and he's a role model for people who need support.

WaltonSystem
10-03-2012, 01:16 PM

You should probably work on passing high school first.

Regardless i hope that White can overcome his anxiety or at least find a way to medicate it on flights. The kid has outstanding talent and a great skillset.

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 01:17 PM
Super sad. I saw a girl once who had anxiety issues. I don't think people understand its an actual issue. They can't help it there not being "soft". I hope he can over come this

Really sad stuff. I was hoping that he would end up being a huge part of what the Rockets were starting to build. This is exactly why so many GMs were passing on him I guess. Who knew it was this bad.
Lol. You guys are acting like he's out of the league already. So he missed some training camp in his rookie season and he's struggling to make a transition? It's an 82 game season and he's playing for a team with a ton of young guys and no real playoff aspirations! I don't care if he takes half the season to come around. He'll still get his time.

lol. you can't fix someone else's anxiety for them. so in this case, yes it does look like the Rockets spent a 16th pick and paid a kid millions for him to sit out b/c of anxiety.
My point was simply that the kid's not going to just stop playing basketball and miss out on millions of dollars over anxiety. He had a successful career at Iowa State playing in big games in front of millions of viewers and he can still have that at the NBA level.

People are acting as if the kid was diagnosed with a terminal illness. Anxiety is tough to deal with and unpredictable, but millions of people deal with it on a regular basis and still lead relatively normal lives.

spreadeagle
10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
the anxiety thing can prob be overcome with meds and therapists but the fear of flying may be a lot tougher, its not like he has to fly occasionally, its all the time and some for long periods. Wonder if just playing home games would ever be an option in the NBA..i doubt it but ya never know

futureman
10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Well he can drive to close cities like phoenix, san antonio, dallas, and OKC. So he will be able to play for more than 50% of the games.

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
Please tell me you're trolling.

Not trolling. GET OVER IT ROYCE

b_russ
10-03-2012, 02:23 PM
"Come to Phoenix. We have the best med staff." -Suns Fans

topdog
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Saw this coming.

Same thing in the Wolves forum. But it's not the planes that were so much of an issue, it's this right here:

White traces personal battles with anxiety to a basketball practice when he was 10 years old. One day during wind sprints, he witnessed his best friend collapse and begin drooling from the mouth. He rode in the ambulance as paramedics rushed him to the hospital to save him from a cardiac abnormality. White fears conditioning runs to this day. He was diagnosed with general anxiety disorder in 2008. White continues to wake up 3 or 4 times a night.

-wikipedia

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 02:35 PM

Like my Dad always said, there is only one way to go in. And then he ran full speed into the ocean and dove in the water.

Royce needs to man up, or change careers to IT where he can be a introvert and live in a dark room on the 8th floor of a corporate building.

kobebabe
10-03-2012, 02:45 PM
I don't like to comment negatively about anyone when an illness is involved because no one want to be in that situation. It is kind of sad that some of you here have no mercy on this kid. He didn't ask for it'; no one wishes to be ill. I hope he get this taken care of and get his career going

topdog
10-03-2012, 02:59 PM
It's funny how so many people want to act as if White cansomehow just "man up" and get over it. You all don't realize how many things in your life are directed by psychological events including your relationship with your parents. They may not be crippling like what Royce White is facing, but the original events weren't so traumatic.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
It's funny how so many people want to act as if White cansomehow just "man up" and get over it. You all don't realize how many things in your life are directed by psychological events including your relationship with your parents. They may not be crippling like what Royce White is facing, but the original events weren't so traumatic.

And its how you deal with those issues and get past them that define you. If you want to be traumatized your whole life, that is up to you. Nobody said its easy, but its necessary.

topdog
10-03-2012, 03:17 PM
And its how you deal with those issues and get past them that define you. If you want to be traumatized your whole life, that is up to you. Nobody said its easy, but its necessary.

There's nothing saying he can't overcome them, but at the same rate it's not so simple as waking up one day and deciding you won't be affected anymore. Having access to a professional psychiatrist should hopefully help him to overcome this obstacle in time, but it could take awhile.

GeekInThePink
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Like my Dad always said, there is only one way to go in. And then he ran full speed into the ocean and dove in the water.

Royce needs to man up, or change careers to IT where he can be a introvert and live in a dark room on the 8th floor of a corporate building.

I think you're an awesome poster, and have tremendous basketball knowledge but this response to me comes off (at least to me, someone who has struggled with mental illness) slightly rude. I'm sure Royce is doing absolutely everything he can do overcome his anxiety so he can pursue his passion and love of basketball. It has nothing to doing with "manning up", just like any mental illness or sickness, he has to learn how to treat and manage it. I apologize if I came off rude, it's just my two cents.

Aleksandar
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM

True, but easier said than done. Try facing an ex :)

thechom80
10-03-2012, 03:40 PM
I think you're an awesome poster, and have tremendous basketball knowledge but this response to me comes off (at least to me, someone who has struggled with mental illness) slightly rude. I'm sure Royce is doing absolutely everything he can do overcome his anxiety so he can pursue his passion and love of basketball. It has nothing to doing with "manning up", just like any mental illness or sickness, he has to learn how to treat and manage it. I apologize if I came off rude, it's just my two cents.

Never apologize for sharing your opinion. I'm a big fan of Hawk, but that post also stuck out as a bit over the top for me. A lot of you need to understand it's just not as easy as "manning up". A mental illness isn't something that just goes away after you face it.

NYYCowboys
10-03-2012, 03:42 PM

I think you're way off here. Anxiety is a disease just like any other. You're viewing this through the eyes of someone who doesn't suffer from this, so it's very easy to say you have to deal with the issues, and get past them

As someone who suffers from a much milder, under control form of anxiety than Royce I can tell you that when you have a panic attack you aren't thinking rationally. You basically go into survival mode where all your actions are predicated on making the panic attack and the awful feelings you have go away. You aren't thinking about anything else no matter how important it is, or how stupid you think it might seem to someone else.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 03:56 PM

I apologize if it came off rude. However, I am not a 18-23 year old poster living in my parents basement or in a dorm room like much of PSD (not saying you are, but that is the common here). I have been through quite a bit myself, losing jobs, divorce, being cheated on, and much more. You just can't let the world push you down. You have to keep pushing the world instead.

The biggest problem here is, being an NBA player has certain requirements. One of them being able to travel to 41 different cities a year by plane, back and forth. If someone is incapable of that, they need to find alternate employment.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
True, but easier said than done. Try facing an ex :)

She cheated on me both physically and mentally. I left her.

Ebbs
10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Hawkeye I think you went to far on the Royce post

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I honestly apologize to anyone if I am coming off rude. I just feel the young generation has a huge portion of excuse makers. Social disorders have been around forever. So have physical disorders, and just flat out ****** luck. You just have to keep pushing along, no matter what. Sympathy for someone's problems is a good thing. But at some point, you have to be responsible for yourself, and if you can't meet the requirements of a job you are attempting to do, then someone else will.

jakedajewler
10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
People with anxiety disoarders often find change to be a trigger of there symptoms give the guy a bit of time to get used to his teamates and new area he is living in and he'll be back

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 04:06 PM
There's nothing saying he can't overcome them, but at the same rate it's not so simple as waking up one day and deciding you won't be affected anymore. Having access to a professional psychiatrist should hopefully help him to overcome this obstacle in time, but it could take awhile.

I was completely depressed when I got divorced. For 6-7 months. Didn't go out, talk to anyone but my family, stopped exercising, and just slept if I wasn't at work. One day I woke up and said, "**** this. I am not letting this happen to me". And it was over that minute. I am not saying I am stronger mentally, I am saying it can be done. It's hard, it took me 7 months nearly. But it happened.

Corey
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Being depressed over something like divorce or another traumatic event is completely different than clinical depression or anxiety that can get triggered by any number of things and send you into an episode.

Comparing his diagnosed disorder to how you felt after divorce just shows that you have no idea what you're taking about in terms if diagnosed disorders. You're very far off base.

Disappointing.

netsgiantsyanks
10-03-2012, 04:10 PM

this post screams ignorance.

topdog
10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I apologize if it came off rude. However, I am not a 18-23 year old poster living in my parents basement or in a dorm room like much of PSD (not saying you are, but that is the common here). I have been through quite a bit myself, losing jobs, divorce, being cheated on, and much more. You just can't let the world push you down. You have to keep pushing the world instead.

The biggest problem here is, being an NBA player has certain requirements. One of them being able to travel to 41 different cities a year by plane, back and forth. If someone is incapable of that, they need to find alternate employment.

While I think we all can be sympathetic to what you and others have gone through, anxiety is a disorder not just adversity and people being a-holes. We're talking about mental trauma that happened to a young and fragile mind - he wasn't a man when it happened so it got imprinted in him as a part of him as an adult.

I may be 23, but I'm no mooch of my parents - I have my own home, I worked full-time paying for my own apartment as I went to school and graduated a semester early. I've been screwed by the company I worked for and had girl troubles of my own (yeah, I wasn't married and that sucks but I've felt betrayed). My parents divorced when I was 7 and much of my family is dead. I always push back, but I wonder at times if I could push back against the sort of mental disorders that took uncles on both sides of my family. I don't take that for granted...

Hawkeye15
Being depressed over something like divorce or another traumatic event is completely different than clinical depression or anxiety that can get triggered by any number of things and send you into an episode.

Comparing his diagnosed disorder to how you felt after divorce just shows that you have no idea what you're taking about in terms if diagnosed disorders. You're very far off base.

Disappointing.

It takes going to a doctor to get clinically diagnosed with something. I have never done that for my problems. Most likely never will, or at least I hope. Besides, in today's world, a doctor will just feed you a pill instead of trying to actually find the root of the issue. Sure, they will refer you to someone to talk, but those pills just keep coming.

I am sorry to disappoint so many of you with my level of sympathy not at the bar you find acceptable.

PleaseBeNice
this post screams ignorance.

Actually it screams man up

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM
While I think we all can be sympathetic to what you and others have gone through, anxiety is a disorder not just adversity and people being a-holes. We're talking about mental trauma that happened to a young and fragile mind - he wasn't a man when it happened so it got imprinted in him as a part of him as an adult.

I may be 23, but I'm no mooch of my parents - I have my own home, I worked full-time paying for my own apartment as I went to school and graduated a semester early. I've been screwed by the company I worked for and had girl troubles of my own (yeah, I wasn't married and that sucks but I've felt betrayed). My parents divorced when I was 7 and much of my family is dead. I always push back, but I wonder at times if I could push back against the sort of mental disorders that took uncles on both sides of my family. I don't take that for granted...

Nor should you take it for granted. All you can do is wake up tomorrow and keep plucking away.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:14 PM

You're a bad person

Cromedome
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
Is everyone here dressing up as Dr. Phil this halloween?

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:15 PM
My lady has clinical depression episodes. They're not fun. I can't imagine how she feels when she goes through them. They're not as common as they have been in the past - so that's probably a good thing.

Hopefully Royce can get a handle on things throughout his career. I think he's a very interesting player. I'd love to see what he can do with better players around him.

Ebbs
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
I honestly apologize to anyone if I am coming off rude. I just feel the young generation has a huge portion of excuse makers. Social disorders have been around forever. So have physical disorders, and just flat out ****** luck. You just have to keep pushing along, no matter what. Sympathy for someone's problems is a good thing. But at some point, you have to be responsible for yourself, and if you can't meet the requirements of a job you are attempting to do, then someone else will.

I do agree 100% but let's be honest we don't know the whole situation here. When it's something that could be serious I want to give the benefit of the doubt.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
It takes going to a doctor to get clinically diagnosed with something. I have never done that for my problems. Most likely never will, or at least I hope. Besides, in today's world, a doctor will just feed you a pill instead of trying to actually find the root of the issue. Sure, they will refer you to someone to talk, but those pills just keep coming.

I am sorry to disappoint so many of you with my level of sympathy not at the bar you find acceptable.

I don't think you fully understand what an anxiety disorder is. "pills" and cognitive behavioral therapy have helped me be able to live a normal life.

PleaseBeNice
You're a bad person

mark sanchez

topdog
I was completely depressed when I got divorced. For 6-7 months. Didn't go out, talk to anyone but my family, stopped exercising, and just slept if I wasn't at work. One day I woke up and said, "**** this. I am not letting this happen to me". And it was over that minute. I am not saying I am stronger mentally, I am saying it can be done. It's hard, it took me 7 months nearly. But it happened.

I've been depressed too, but I've never had that chance to sit around and mope my *** off because I had to pay bills and work towards a future that's becoming harder and harder to come by.

I don't want it to seem like we're all ganging up on you, but we're talking about the difference between having a negative attiude/view on life versus a psychological issue. Drug companies may wish to peddle you something either way, but they are not the same.

Big Zo

It doesn't matter what you went through personally. Panic disorders are usually hereditary, and the sufferer usually goes through irrational fears.

netsgiantsyanks
10-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Actually it screams man up

:laugh2:

whatever.

Vinny642
Tough break

PleaseBeNice
I don't care what anybody thinks of my opinion, so you can save quoting me. My viewpoint won't change.

Corey
10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
[

You're showing nothing but ignorance in regards to clinical disorders right now.

You're ridiculously far off base, and you don't even realize it.

I've been diagnosed clinically depressed, was hospitalized multiple times after traumatic episodes, had to take a year away from school, and have been talking to therapists for years, no medication, and it's still not completely fixed.

You literally have no ****ing idea what you're taking about.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I don't care what anybody thinks of my opinion, so you can save quoting me. My viewpoint won't change.

Doesn't make you any less ignorant.

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM

:facepalm:

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:21 PM
You're showing nothing but ignorance in regards to clinical disorders right now.

I've been diagnosed clinically depressed, was hospitalized multiple times after traumatic episodes, had to take a year away from school, and have been talking to therapists for years, no medication, and it's still not completely fixed.

I have OCD which is a form of anxiety disorder and its no ****ing joke.

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM

You shouldn't care what people think of you on an online forum. It's a shame your viewpoint won't change however. Ignorant posts show lack of character. Hope you're not like that in person.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
It doesn't matter what you went through personally. Panic disorders are usually hereditary, and the sufferer usually goes through irrational fears.

Bingo.

Hawkeye15
10-03-2012, 04:25 PM

I suppose unless I have suffered from something, I shouldn't be allowed to speak about it.

Fine. Chill out Corey, jesus.

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:28 PM
Somma you guys get so mad. Oh my.

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
Some people don't like differing opinions

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM

You cant have an opinion on something you clearly know nothing about.

netsgiantsyanks
10-03-2012, 04:39 PM
some people just don't like pure ignorance. i see where you're going, but anxiety disorder is nothing to balk at.

NYYCowboys
10-03-2012, 04:40 PM

Nah most decent people don't like ignorant, moronic opinions, like yours.

goose14741
10-03-2012, 04:44 PM

are you serious? do you have a god damn clue what it feels like? it makes you literally feel that anything is better than this, even death. its 100% uncontrollable. read a ****ing book and go burn in hell

Corey
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
I suppose unless I have suffered from something, I shouldn't be allowed to speak about it.

Fine. Chill out Corey, jesus.
:laugh2:

I'm perfectly chill.

When you post things like:

Royce needs to man up

If you want to be traumatized your whole life, that is up to you.

You just can't let the world push you down. You have to keep pushing the world instead. .

I just feel the young generation has a huge portion of excuse makers. Social disorders have been around forever. So have physical disorders, and just flat out ****** luck. You just have to keep pushing along, no matter what. Sympathy for someone's problems is a good thing. But at some point, you have to be responsible for yourself, and if you can't meet the requirements of a job you are attempting to do, then someone else will.

when you have no idea how debilitating something like clinical depression or anxiety can be, it just shows how damned uninformed people are.

We have this 'just man up' culture, and it's not that easy. You can just choose to not be depressed, or just choose to make it go away. It's something that controls you. You have no choice. For a majority, most therapy sessions and medications do nothing to help the disease that affects you.

It's not as simple as some of the people in this thread are making it out to be. If you're messed up enough to be clinically diagnosed, there's a myriad of greater underlying issues that don't just go away.

Big Zo
10-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Why are you guys still quoting PleaseBeNice? It should be obvious he's just a troll by looking at his sarcastic user name.

netsgiantsyanks
10-03-2012, 04:56 PM
because i feel better about myself when i do so.

Stinkyoutsider
10-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Poor guy. I feel bad for him and I hope he can conquer this. He should have in the back of his mind that he's not only doing this for himself but his family too.

The Rockets made a great selection by taking this guy and I wish him and Perry Jones would have dropped all the way till the Bulls picked them so we could have both playing for our team.

This is just a joke here, but maybe the Rockets should give him a glass of milk with some meds in it like they used to do with Mr. T on the A-Team. He hated to fly but after he woke up from the knockout drink, the plane was already in the air.

Seriously though, the Rockets are a multimillion dollar company with tons of resources to help White with his situation. He'll be ok and the Rockets will make sure that he is.

Lakers + Giants
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM

I'm shocked you have a sig quote about a laker. :speechless:

colinskik
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM

You're forgetting abut that third type of person who decides they would rather sit on the shore and watch the others go in the water.

LivinLakers
10-03-2012, 05:13 PM

:clap:
^ This... This guy pretty much nailed it. For someone who has suffered with anxiety issues for years, I know that it just takes time to adjust and you will need to slowly and gradually start stretching yourself. If you try to do it all at once, you will have a breakdown.

elizur
10-03-2012, 05:20 PM

No, you are not a 23 yr old kid living at home. you are a 35 yr old man who somehow has time to make 40,000 post on a website. You clearly have been affected by your life and have not dove right in as your dad would say or you wouldnt have more time to post than those 18-23 yr olds living at home. You do not have a mental disorder. This has nothing to do with dealing with tough circumstances. He can not make the right decision because of his illness

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 05:23 PM
^ This... This guy pretty much nailed it. For someone who has suffered with anxiety issues for years, I know that it just takes time to adjust and you will need to slowly and gradually start stretching yourself. If you try to do it all at once, you will have a breakdown.

Exactly. Just like anything else, one day at a time. I'm pulling for this kid.

LivinLakers
10-03-2012, 05:31 PM
No, you are not a 23 yr old kid living at home. you are a 35 yr old man who somehow has time to make 40,000 post on a website. You clearly have been affected by your life and have not dove right in as your dad would say or you wouldnt have more time to post than those 18-23 yr olds living at home. You do not have a mental disorder. This has nothing to do with dealing with tough circumstances. He can not make the right decision because of his illness

Owned...:)

Lakers + Giants
10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
EDIT

Not worth it.

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Everybody chill!

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Then why is he fit to be in the NBA? He's not. Gitttt outtt

Raidaz4Life
10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
I have a lot of anxiety issues so I can completely sympathize with the guy and hope he is able to get the support he needs to overcome it all.

JerseyPalahniuk
10-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Did any of you watch the 8 minute documentary on him? Watch he explains all his panic attacks, how it "feels like dying" and his Draft Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

He's not just letting the anxiety soak in. He deals with this every single day to overcome it.

bholly
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
I started quoting Hawkeye/Corey posts as I went through, but there were just too many. I second everything Corey said in response, emphasizing "disappointing" and the idea that "it's not your lack of sympathy or tolerance, it's your lack of understanding and knowledge".

Newness is not fun for people with anxiety disorders. He needs to desensitize himself to flying and to his new surroundings. I know, not easy to put a 6'8", 300lb guy in a tin can 10,000ft in the air, knowing he's going to freak out. He also needs to live in the Rockets gym right now, just out there alone putting up shots with no pressure from teammates or coaches.

This is a good post, particularly the first point - newness definitely not fun.

I actually take a lot of positive from his quote.

"We are trying to figure out a plan for me to be healthy and successful long-term," White said. "It's not really anything that's going on right now. It's more of trying to take a proactive approach and trying to put together a solid plan.

"It is definitely linked with my anxiety, sure, but it's not so much as far as my anxiety now. Basically what happened was my doctor, we discussed it, and it was decided the way the plan was now just wasn't logistically healthy.

To me, this shows he has a good support system and is planning for the long haul rather than just trying to force himself through day-by-day and hope it gets better. He's recognizing his weaknesses and what isn't going to work for them, and is building a plan around that, rather than just trying to keep up and eventually flaming out. That's the right approach. It sucks that it's bad enough that this happened, but he (and his team) are absolutely responding in the right way. I'm really really rooting for this guy.

NokomisLiving
10-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Did any of you watch the 8 minute documentary on him? Watch he explains all his panic attacks, how it "feels like dying" and his Draft Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRUS6QBiViQ

He's not just letting the anxiety soak in. He deals with this every single day to overcome it.

^^This. I watched this. He literally could not sit in the same room as his friends and family because it was starting to freak him out.

Some people have been saying that if he can't do it then why is he there, and that he needs to get over it. Really what I see is him actually trying to get over it right? I mean he's gone through all this so far because he wants to be better and be normal and enjoy something that he loves.

Anxiety is pretty much the whole fight or flight thing, it's not like being nervous or something. It literally speeds up your heart rate, pumps you full of cortisol and inhibits your breathing. That sounds like that would suck, especially if it happened all the time, and especially if it was making something you love so much not so much fun. I think if he could just get up and say " I'm over it today!" he probably would have by now.

PleaseBeNice
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
After watching that short documentary I'd like to apologize for my behavior. Made me really feel for him in the video. I admire his perseverance going through this while still trying to get to the NBA

Kashmir13579
10-03-2012, 06:48 PM
After watching that short documentary I'd like to apologize for my behavior. Made me really feel for him in the video. I admire his perseverance going through this while still trying to get to the NBA

Ya learn something new every day.

bholly
10-03-2012, 07:18 PM

Deception
10-03-2012, 07:28 PM

I am a 18-23 year old poster living in a dorm room, I apologize that you think that going to college is such a bad thing. Going through things such as losing a job or divorce is a completely different thing than a diagnosed disorder. I suffer through anxiety as well and it's not as easy as to "man up" like you say. I've taken hundreds of exams and every single one starts and ends with the same panic attacks. Nobody who suffers from anxiety is asking for sympathy like you said, all we want is to never deal with them again.

GeekInThePink
10-03-2012, 07:47 PM

I am a 21 year old living at home ironically, and I'm sorry to hear what you've been through man, I'm sorry my opinion has sparked so much debate over this site. Just personally, suffering from mental illness, I just wanted to offer perspective.

jchase3
10-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Any of you people on here calling him "soft" or a "b****" are absolute idiots. Have some compassion for the kid... you clearly have NO idea what it's like to live every day of your life with a severe anxiety disorder. Know your facts before you open your mouth, stop being arrogant, and be thankful that you don't have to deal with something like this.

KnicksPain
10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
He was my favorite player to watch at Summer league this summer and I knew about his issues since the draft.

I always root for people to overcome problems they have but his talent makes me even more hopeful that I can see just how good he can become.

Aleksandar
10-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Royce White will one day be proud of how he manned up and overcame his problems, but he's still young, he needs time.

hawksd911
10-03-2012, 08:56 PM
i also have anxiety problems too, pretty much ruined my baseball career and that was only in highschool and in pretty much made me quit because the stress gave me other health problems. If he can all the way too the NBA with it? that my friends means hes the opposite from "soft" i applaud him

PocketKings
10-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I love, love, love, love Royce White. I wish him the best, and I wish him the strength to get through this step in front of him. It's not about anything else right now but taking that step forward, and then refocusing his attention on the step afterwards.

Sportfan
10-03-2012, 09:39 PM

This post is amazing :laugh:

todu82
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
Hope he gets his anxiety issues under control. Basketball should be an afterthought to this young man now as he, hopefully, gets this under control.

Sports Illustrator
10-04-2012, 12:39 AM
I really feel for the guy. He's going through a very difficult situation. The thing about phobias is that the individuals know that its meaningless, but nothing you tell them is going to change their mind because this is something that they just can't overcome. Having Aerophobia doesn't make Royce White less of a man, or anyone else with any type of mental disorder. What is important for Royce is for him to understand that he has this problem, which is sounds like he does. The Rockets hiring a good psychologist would be the best solution. Curing this disorder can take up to a year, but it will be worth it for sure. As long as this is done and both sides are willing to work with this problem, I'd bet anything that their 16th overall pick will not go to waste.

Illa215
10-04-2012, 12:52 AM

You have no idea what people like him go through every single day. Grow up.

Illa215
10-04-2012, 12:55 AM

Sorry for the attack at you. Good for you for taking the time to understand what someone else is going through.

NYKNYGNYY
10-04-2012, 12:56 AM
Xanex ... Only thing that works. I suffer from anxiety to some days I don't feel it some days its overwhelming....it lead to a drug problem ..ill be rooting for him hands down ..xanex isn't the best option tho extremely addictive and the withdrawls are deadly ,I've seen people have seizures from it

For people saying get over it is like telling someone with cancer to get over it. May not be as serious but for someone with it It's the worst thing in the world

LaLa_Land
10-04-2012, 12:59 AM
damn, i really feel bad for the guy. he's a straight up ANIMAL on the court, and mark my words when i say that he will end up being the steal of this draft.

hopefully he gets over this issue, and with modern medicine and technology, i am sure that they'll find a way. with his skill set and athleticism, i see him averaging 10/6/5/1 as a rookie. there's no way they invested this much money in a guy that they wont see play.

Tanakid777
10-04-2012, 01:07 AM

Absolutely this. Some people need to learn about how anxiety actually affects behavior, and maybe study it at the chemical level to get a real understanding of how a dude can't just "get over it." Royce was one of my favorite guys coming out of the draft talent-wise (everyone else's too). I'm a semester away from graduating with a B.S. in psychology, with and LPC in my sights, so this guy 's success is one of the main things I watch and root for outside my favorite teams. Would make an interesting long-term case study. I wish him the best

PocketKings
10-04-2012, 01:21 AM
Royce White ‏@Highway_30

Anxiety isn't keeping me from camp, taking a Proactive approach to my mental illness instead of reactive is.*

gwrighter
10-04-2012, 01:44 AM
Royce White ‏@Highway_30

Anxiety isn't keeping me from camp, taking a Proactive approach to my mental illness instead of reactive is.*

I understand where he is coming from whole heartedly.

But this is a massive red flag. Not only does the team not need to fly right now. But he is only competing with his team for minutes. There are no immediate expectations and fans haven't even begun to put pressure on him yet. Same goes for corporate pressure.

The "proactive approach" is BS and a spin for the sake of saving face publicly. Royce had months to proactively prepare and yet when the ball begins to roll he immediately can't take the stress.

Just the thought of the looming season is enough to warrant his absence before it has even started. This is NOT good AT ALL. He is never going to feel less pressure than right now for the rest of his career. I hope he finds his way.

John Walls Era
10-04-2012, 01:53 AM
For sure I feel bad for him. I don't understand what hes going through so it would be wrong for me to comment on it in the negative way.

nyballa1991
10-04-2012, 03:15 AM
Xanex ... Only thing that works. I suffer from anxiety to some days I don't feel it some days its overwhelming....it lead to a drug problem ..ill be rooting for him hands down ..xanex isn't the best option tho extremely addictive and the withdrawls are deadly ,I've seen people have seizures from it

For people saying get over it is like telling someone with cancer to get over it. May not be as serious but for someone with it It's the worst thing in the world

I unfortunately have dealt with both anxiety and cancer, and for those people who haven't experienced chronic anxiety first hand, you don't know what its about. Anxiety on its worst day can be every bit as bad as cancer.

STL Don
10-04-2012, 03:33 AM
I'm sure it is an issue he's looking to resolve as quickly as possible. Can't blame him for something he can't help....... just wish him the best, hope he pulls through (which I'd like to strongly believe he will) and count on seeing him back on the court soon.

PacersForLife
10-04-2012, 03:53 AM
I definitely feel for this guy. I definitely suffer from some kind of anxiety and it's not something you just get over... You struggle with it everyday and you just have to try and push through and it can be very hard at times. I hope he has a long career in this league and he can look back and be proud of what he accomplished. Dude's got tons of talent...

Bulls_fan90
10-04-2012, 04:03 AM
Feel horribly for him. Watching that video was quite emotional. Hope he makes it. Hopefully the Rockets can ease him into the NBA.

xcrisisx
10-04-2012, 04:04 AM
I definitely feel for this guy. I definitely suffer from some kind of anxiety and it's not something you just get over... You struggle with it everyday and you just have to try and push through and it can be very hard at times. I hope he has a long career in this league and he can look back and be proud of what he accomplished. Dude's got tons of talent...

bholly
10-04-2012, 05:22 AM
Royce White ‏@Highway_30

Love this. This just underlines the stuff I reacted to in post 90. Sucks that he has to deal with this, but to me it seems like he's doing it in exactly the right way and with the right support system. Great to see.

xcrisisx
10-04-2012, 05:44 AM
let him play home games and stay put in houston

that's what I was thinking as well.
still better than the 14th and last guy on the roster who sit on the bench every minute of the season

JerseyPalahniuk
10-04-2012, 06:04 AM

Awesome response man. Everyone else watch it too.

BALLER R
10-04-2012, 06:40 AM
Things like this really shows you the intelligence of people on here.

Sports Illustrator
10-04-2012, 11:32 AM
Before he's willing to start training camp, Houston Rockets rookie Royce White wants the team's permission to travel to some games by private bus, the former Iowa State star told ESPN.com on Wednesday night.

White's fear of flying, he said, magnifies his anxiety disorder. So he's asked the Rockets to let him use a bus for some of the team's extensive road trips. White said he's willing to purchase the bus and assume liability.

Busing to games, he said, is a vital component in the treatment of his anxiety.

White, who missed the team's media day on Monday and the start of training camp in McAllen, Texas, on Tuesday, said he hopes to reach an agreement with the team soon. He said he expects to join his teammates within "a week," if talks with the Rockets continue to progress.

"What it's going to look like is every game that's drivable, I'm going to get a bus for myself," White said. "And I'm going to make that bus feel like home so that there's a level of consistency in a job where inconsistency is very apparent because of the schedule. I'm going to try and level that out and make sure that my stress levels stay low and that my rest is regular and that my meals are regular and that as much as I can, draw consistency from a very inconsistent schedule. ...

"People with mental illness, one of the most important things is that they have that consistency and routine. The girth of (my request) was, 'Can I travel by bus to close enough games?' "

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8459655/royce-white-absent-houston-rockets-cites-mental-health

MrfadeawayJB
10-04-2012, 12:03 PM
I understand that this is a serious issue for him but cant he just take something that will knock him out for the flight? He would not recall getting on or even getting off the plane. Just get a wheelchair for him or something. Would this solve his issue?

daboywonder2002
10-04-2012, 12:06 PM
i dont have anxiety like royce does. but i believe the rockets have the medical personnel to fix him. catching the bus is a bad idea because it doesnt fix his issue. royce needs to face this head on. also catching the bus by yourself, you cant bond with teammates and build chemistry

b@llhog24
10-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Sucks.

Trueblue2
10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Bussing him to games would be accommodating his anxiety issues, not treating them... Somewhere along the lines people forgot there was a difference between treatment and accommodation.

mightybosstone
10-04-2012, 06:32 PM
Bussing him to games would be accommodating his anxiety issues, not treating them... Somewhere along the lines people forgot there was a difference between treatment and accommodation.

why do they have to be mutually exclusive? Why can't they accommodate him while he's being treated so that he won't have to be accommodated in the long run?

RDBK514
10-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I suffer from a pretty strong case of anxiety. So people saying "get over it" with no knowledge are speaking with no experience. It is an extremely tough thing to deal with. Some days are worse than others. It's all physiological. Doctors always told me that exercise was a great way to deal with anxiety so hopefully that can help Royce. There are many medications you can take to help but you must vary them from time to time so you don't get hooked on one. This often can make anxiety worse because of triggers in the meds. Hopefully he can find a comfort point in his life and learn to control it.