PDA

View Full Version : Players who will make the jump this season.

Ebbs
10-02-2012, 12:51 AM
Not everyone here has to go from behc fodder to superstar or even role player to all star. But who do you think will see a big improvement in their overall game this season? (Sort of MIP candidates.)

Evan Turner - With Lou Will and Iggy gone Philly will look for Evan Turner to be the player he was meant to be and feed him looks in their offense behind Bynum.

O.J. Mayo - The guy has struggled the last few seasons in Memphis essentially being a 4th option in a reserve role. He will now be a 2nd option behind Dirk in a Mavericks offense that is used to letting a ball dominant 2 guard jack shots.

I see both of these guys averaging 16-20 points on decent efficiency and playing key roles for their playoff caliber squads.

Who else?

Dankster
10-02-2012, 12:55 AM
Arron Afflalo. I thought he would make the ascension to All Star player 2 years ago but things didn't pan out for him in Denver. He'll be relied on heavily for his scoring in Orlando, and I expect a boost in his statistics across the board.

I would say Derozan is due for a breakout season, but I've been thinking that for the past 2 years now and until he fixes that jumpshot of his I don't see it happening anytime soon. He's still way too inconsistent.

Sadds The Gr8
10-02-2012, 12:58 AM
Brook Lopez HAS to have a good year after the way he got dragged through the dog **** the last several months.

kenzo400
10-02-2012, 01:04 AM
If Gerald Green has truly changed his attitude then he will have a very good year.

Ebbs
10-02-2012, 01:05 AM
Brook Lopez HAS to have a good year after the way he got dragged through the dog **** the last several months.

Brook needs to step up for sure he has the talent. Hopefully he isn't as soft on the boards. However with the team definitely being run by the back court I think he will have an even lesser role in the offense than he did when he was healthy. I can't see him being a 20-10 big at this point. I think 14-18 - 7/8 is sort of what Nets fans will be looking at.

seikou8
10-02-2012, 01:07 AM
homer pick felton
real pick john wall

Zefflin
10-02-2012, 01:08 AM
Thabo Sef and Meta

i'm loaded btw

5ass
10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Darren collison
Paul george
Dragic
Cousins
Horford

Will post better stats next season

Ebbs
10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Oh yea Cousins is going to be a 24 and 11 on 50% shooting this season book it. He is going to make a case for the leagues best center.

mosesedan
10-02-2012, 01:18 AM
dragic
beasley
possibly tyreke evans
klay thompson
illyasova

THE MTL
10-02-2012, 01:21 AM
1. John Wall (scream breakout season..he is every bit as talented as the top PG's and now has a decent team to back him up)

2. DeMarcus Cousins (even if he acts up he'll still put up huge numbers. And if he gets his head on straight Bynum and Howard better watch out)

3. OJ Mayo (finally he gets to be in the right role. This guy should have been averaging 20+ppg a couple seasons ago)

4. Gragic or Lowry or Felton (of the PG's who moved teams one of them is bound to have a full breakout year)

Mr. LA
10-02-2012, 01:23 AM
Kobe

airforceones25
10-02-2012, 01:24 AM
John Wall
DeAndre Jordan
Evan Turner

Sadds The Gr8
10-02-2012, 01:25 AM
I also think Eric Gordon will finally get noticed if he stays healthy, and will become an all-star.

mightybosstone
10-02-2012, 01:48 AM
Non-homer selections: Demarcus Cousins, Paul George, Tristan Thompson, Klay Thompson, Ricky Rubio. Cousins has practically already made the leap, but I think he puts together a better all around year and improve his efficiency. George is already efficient but needs more playing time and Rubio and Klay already showed signs of being future stars as rookies last season. Tristan Thompson will be the sleeper pick. He showed the potential to breakout at points last year, but never really put it together. He was way too talented at Texas and has way too much LaMarcus Aldridge in him to not succeed in the NBA.

Homer selection: Jeremy Lin and Omer Asik. I know may people will say, "Didn't Lin already break out last year?" Yes and no. He had a few moments of brilliance and was then injured and missed the rest of the season. But I think he proves this year that he's an above average starting point guard capable of running an NBA offense for 30+ minutes a night, scoring and playing solid defense. I'm expecting at least 14 and 6 from Lin over 65+ starts. As for Asik, it's a bit of a gamble for Morey, but I think it pays off. If he can play 25-28 minutes a night, I think he finishes in the top 10 in rebounds and block shots and plays elite level defense. Just don't expect him to score more than 5-8 points a night.

maddBat
10-02-2012, 01:57 AM
hoping for brook lopez. if not the nets will be screwed

id say rondo becomes even more of a floor general. he understands the team runs through him.

n kyrie irving will be discussed with the elite point guards by the end of this season

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 02:12 AM
i say andrew bynum makes the lakers look crazy for making the trade and has a career year. hes NEVER had a chance to have a offense solely run through him and this could be a career year for him. he avg 11.8 boards next to gasol whos a great rebounder and avg 10 himself. so on PHI his next best rebounders is hawes who only avg 7. so we will prob see a rebound jump to possibly 13rpg and his points were at 18 as a #2 option so who says he couldnt have a jump to 24-5 being the #1 option. which pretty much mimic dwights numbers just bynum is taller and younger making this trade not look as great as everyone assumed.

Chacarron
10-02-2012, 02:12 AM
I also think Eric Gordon will finally get noticed if he stays healthy, and will become an all-star.

:nod: Exactly who I was thinking about.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 02:33 AM
:nod: Exactly who I was thinking about.

i thought it was last season before cp3 trade/injuries. he is due since he was gypped last year. hopefully hes stays healthy and the young pieces around him gel smoothly.

Hawkeye15
10-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Pekovic apparently lost 14 pounds, gained muscle, and has been giving Love everything he can handle in 5-5. I will say Non is going to fly straight into the top 8 center argument this year.

JEDean89
10-02-2012, 03:23 AM
Ty Lawson will nudge closer to being a 20-10 pg this year, he wont get there, but he could put up a line of around 18-8-3-2 on good fg% and 3p%. in a year or two i expect his name up with paul, williams, irving, wall, and tony parker as 20-10 ish pg's. he's too small to ever be a great rebounder but is good at steals. he is also on a playoff team.

Demarcus Cousins should become a legit top 3-4 center after this season, if he isn't already. i picked him up 24th in my fantasy league and couldn't be more stoked. has the size and the skills to dominate. i find that big centers went out of the league when their position changed. now we have more guys like Cousins, Dwight, Javale who are big but athletic enough to keep up with the game. a 7-1 guy who can run like small ball but still play defense and offense like a big is huge in this league. Cousins is probably the best body to be in after Dwight and Lebron for the game today.

Hawkeye15
10-02-2012, 03:27 AM
Ty Lawson will nudge closer to being a 20-10 pg this year, he wont get there, but he could put up a line of around 18-8-3-2 on good fg% and 3p%. in a year or two i expect his name up with paul, williams, irving, wall, and tony parker as 20-10 ish pg's. he's too small to ever be a great rebounder but is good at steals. he is also on a playoff team.

Demarcus Cousins should become a legit top 3-4 center after this season, if he isn't already. i picked him up 24th in my fantasy league and couldn't be more stoked. has the size and the skills to dominate. i find that big centers went out of the league when their position changed. now we have more guys like Cousins, Dwight, Javale who are big but athletic enough to keep up with the game. a 7-1 guy who can run like small ball but still play defense and offense like a big is huge in this league. Cousins is probably the best body to be in after Dwight and Lebron for the game today.

I love both your suggestions. Lawson is close, he really is. His defense needs to get better, but he is a legit player. Cousins, if his coach doesn't continue to chuck him the ball late in the clock and ask him to hit a 17 footer, his metrics will shoot straight into star level.

PacersForLife
10-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Homer Picks:
DJ Augustin: Just about everyone from last year's squad has had something positive to say about him. I think him being in Charlotte really made people forget that he is a legit NBA point guard.
Gerald Green: I think a lot of people know his story so not much need for explanation. He's an athletic freak and sounds very grateful to be in the league.
Paul George: He's said to have a new swagger about him. Walking and talking like a new and more determined player. I look for him to be more aggressive and have improved ball handling skills, which was one of his major downfalls last year.

Rest of the league:
OJ Mayo: I think he has found a nice home and coach Rick Carlisle will do wonders for his game.
Eric Gordon: If he can stay healthy he can be very good, but I think we all know that.
Andrew Bynum: Much like Gordon, many people know what he is capable of. It's just a matter of staying healthy, and in his case, maturing on and off the court.

Aleksandar
10-02-2012, 06:09 AM
Pekovic and Ilyasova should have another breakout year.

D.O.N.
10-02-2012, 07:22 AM
Homer picks:
Lopez:
He was injured last season but he looked promissing before. If he starts to rebound like he did in his rookie season and show some improvement on D he will be a top5 center and thats a big jump for him. I'm optimistic about him.

Brooks:
I think he could be one of the top candides for 6th Men Of The Year, if he finds his role in the team.

Non-homer:
Wall:
He was almost 20&10 for a long strech in his rookie season and now he has a decent team around him. He won't be double teamed all the time and has option to pass.

Pekovic:
He already made the jump, he just has to keep it up, so evereybody will recognize him.

Collison:
He was very good in NO before cp3 returned, but was misused in indiana i exept him to turn into a good pg. Top 15 or so.

Beasley:
I wouldn't be suprised if he'll average 26+ ppg whit 7+ boards

Horford:
He'll recive a bigger role on team so his number will improve by a good margin IMO.

Affalo:
He's now the best player on team in orlando. He won't turn into an all-star but he'll step up im sure

DE9394
10-02-2012, 07:50 AM
NO GREG MONROE ?!?!!?!?!? or BRANDON KNIGHT ?!?!? (homer picks)

AddiX
10-02-2012, 07:58 AM
None of those sac players IMO make any jump, they are all far to stupid and immature to know how to do such anything no matter how talented.

And whats up with this forum and mayo? I've never seen a guy get so completely overhyped in the NBA.

Not since Rudy Fernandez at least.

superior
10-02-2012, 08:54 AM
players who will get better - Biyombo, Mayo, Bynum, R.Lewis, P.George, Odom, J.Smith, Noah, A.Bradley, D.Cousins, collison

players to get worse - j.kidd, kobe, wade, ginobli, lin, r.allen, iguadala

TheNumber37
10-02-2012, 08:55 AM
melo. he will shoot over 50%, get his passing up and.playing inspiring defense

he will silence the critics that say he is not elite

ewing
10-02-2012, 09:02 AM
hoping for brook lopez. if not the nets will be screwed

id say rondo becomes even more of a floor general. he understands the team runs through him.

n kyrie irving will be discussed with the elite point guards by the end of this season

Rondo is by far the best floor general in the league right now

C_Mund
10-02-2012, 09:41 AM
I'm excited to watch a lot of point guard play this year. There's been a pretty large gap over the last few years between the best pg's in the league and the second tier but I feel like it's starting to close. Looking a CP3, D-Will, Rondo, TP, Irving, Lawson, Wall, (Homer alert, in Martin Lawrence "Bad Boys" voice...) LAH-WRY..... there's going to be some great play on the perimeter and hopefully it'll open up the lanes for the up-and-coming big men everybody is bringing up too. Looking forward to a year of dynamic team ball.

DenButsu
10-02-2012, 09:58 AM
My one non-homer pick who I didn't see mentioned (though maybe I missed it) is Isaiah Thomas. I don't think most people realize how efficient and effective he was last year (thanks at least in part to his minutes getting restrained).

As for the Nuggs, I think so many guys will be improving it's hard to choose, but my guess would be that Jordan Hamilton is going to make the biggest jump in terms of how far he progresses in a single season. But really, Andre Miller is kind of the only guy on the roster I don't see making forward progress, and that's because he's ancient.

M.Bibby2.0
10-02-2012, 10:00 AM
I like all the Cousins love!

Pekovic has already shown he is a monster, but time is only going to improve the big man tandem with him and Love. Those guys compliment each other so well on offense, and they're absolute beasts on the boards.

Bynum will be interesting because he's going into a similar role that Dwight was in- not in terms of how good the supporting cast is, but rather being that number 1 option on offense.

Beasely is an easy choice but I don't think there's anyway he averages 25+ like a lot of people are suggesting. (even if he does his efficiency wouldn't be there)

Eric Gordon is another easy choice, if healthy.

Evan Turner put up some monster games consecutively last season, I thought he was breaking out but he regressed after Iggy's return if I remember correctly. I expect him to improve significantly.

Gradual improvement from Monroe will happen but I don't think it'll be an insane breakout, he's already very consistent and good.

I find it hard to predict guards but if Tyreke is ever going to get back on track and move towards becoming an all-star this is the season (contract year) and allegedly he's been putting in a lot of work. :shrug:

M.Bibby2.0
10-02-2012, 10:05 AM
My one non-homer pick who I didn't see mentioned (though maybe I missed it) is Isaiah Thomas. I don't think most people realize how efficient and effective he was last year (thanks at least in part to his minutes getting restrained).

As for the Nuggs, I think so many guys will be improving it's hard to choose, but my guess would be that Jordan Hamilton is going to make the biggest jump in terms of how far he progresses in a single season. But really, Andre Miller is kind of the only guy on the roster I don't see making forward progress, and that's because he's ancient.

+1
I don't think many non-Kings fans notices IT last year, but when he got minutes he was putting up numbers that suggested he was a top 15 PG. Efficient and quite sound defensively.

Manimal
10-02-2012, 10:41 AM
Paul George
Boogie
Faried
McGee
Gordon Hayward
MarShon Brooks
Isaiah Thomas
Nicolas Batum
Kawhi Leonard
Ty Lawson
Ayon

The_Jamal
10-02-2012, 11:36 AM
DeMarcus Cousins
Isaiah Thomas
Tyreke Evans
Marcus Thornton
Thomas Robinson

Part of the reason Sacto fans are so frustrated all the time is how much talent we have and it isn't being used properly. The potential is more than there, it's just a matter if we can find a coach to apply it properly.

badbilly
10-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Kyrie Irving, We will still suck this year but he will take the step to all star.

2-ONE-5
10-02-2012, 12:46 PM
Not everyone here has to go from behc fodder to superstar or even role player to all star. But who do you think will see a big improvement in their overall game this season? (Sort of MIP candidates.)

Evan Turner - With Lou Will and Iggy gone Philly will look for Evan Turner to be the player he was meant to be and feed him looks in their offense behind Bynum.

O.J. Mayo - The guy has struggled the last few seasons in Memphis essentially being a 4th option in a reserve role. He will now be a 2nd option behind Dirk in a Mavericks offense that is used to letting a ball dominant 2 guard jack shots.

I see both of these guys averaging 16-20 points on decent efficiency and playing key roles for their playoff caliber squads.

Who else?

completly agree with both.

JLynn943
10-02-2012, 12:53 PM
I think Evan Turner will really step up this year now that he can start and get more minutes.

I'm praying that Tyreke's training pays off and he finally has a respectable jumper. If he has one and Cousins improves like he should, the Kings could compete.

Da Knicks
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Pekovic is so strong and if he indeed get the midrange shot down will open so many things for Love and Rubio to operate.

Cousins, yeah he is immature and a bonehead but his talent and upside are so great. If he can stop taking so many outside shots and really use his body to get position he could really take a big step forward.

Mayo, this is the last time i take a chance on this guy because i have had him as a future breakout for a while.

Felton, just coming back in shape will make him a good pg again. No excuse for an athlete to be out of shape but Felton should play with a chip on his shoulder this season.

Splitter, he is a bigman who needs to find focus and with Duncan on that team teaching him the post i say he has a shot to breakout this year.

Melo, having his worst statistical season, being placed so low on many sites for top players, Melo too should come out to have his best pro year ever.

Lee, Courtney will have a resurgence this year with the Celts, having Pierce and Kg on him will make a world of a difference with his work ethic and focus.

Bogut, if he stays healthy he could make the warriors decent on defense and a real threat.

Hawkeye15
10-02-2012, 02:59 PM
I like all the Cousins love!

Pekovic has already shown he is a monster, but time is only going to improve the big man tandem with him and Love. Those guys compliment each other so well on offense, and they're absolute beasts on the boards.

Bynum will be interesting because he's going into a similar role that Dwight was in- not in terms of how good the supporting cast is, but rather being that number 1 option on offense.

Beasely is an easy choice but I don't think there's anyway he averages 25+ like a lot of people are suggesting. (even if he does his efficiency wouldn't be there)

Eric Gordon is another easy choice, if healthy.

Evan Turner put up some monster games consecutively last season, I thought he was breaking out but he regressed after Iggy's return if I remember correctly. I expect him to improve significantly.

Gradual improvement from Monroe will happen but I don't think it'll be an insane breakout, he's already very consistent and good.

I find it hard to predict guards but if Tyreke is ever going to get back on track and move towards becoming an all-star this is the season (contract year) and allegedly he's been putting in a lot of work. :shrug:

Yep. He is already a borderline all star. He and Cousins both imho. They were both already pretty damn good, and should make yet another small jump.

Robbw241
10-02-2012, 03:44 PM
Wall won't have a breakout year until he learns how to shoot and it's going to take more than 1 offseason for him to fix that. And I'm one of his biggest fans.

I think Kyrie Irving cements himself as a top 5 PG this year.

Lakerfan In NY
10-02-2012, 03:49 PM
I want to say this 1st: I hate the Celtics but I think Jeff Green is set to have a great yr.

PleaseBeNice
10-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Demarcus Cousins now that he has some big help down low in T Rob

ChiSox219
10-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Javale, Blake, Wall

mdm692
10-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Michael Beasley!!!

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-02-2012, 05:49 PM
Turner, Cousins and Monroe....and a few others from that draft class.

brodawgs
10-02-2012, 06:03 PM
How has Brandon Jennings not been mentioned yet? I realize that he's not in as pretty a situation as Turner to have a breakout year, and that I am being sort of a homer, but honestly this guy's got the skills to be a premier PG similar to Allen Iverson but more efficient.

chitownredbulls
10-02-2012, 06:25 PM
i say andrew bynum makes the lakers look crazy for making the trade and has a career year. hes NEVER had a chance to have a offense solely run through him and this could be a career year for him. he avg 11.8 boards next to gasol whos a great rebounder and avg 10 himself. so on PHI his next best rebounders is hawes who only avg 7. so we will prob see a rebound jump to possibly 13rpg and his points were at 18 as a #2 option so who says he couldnt have a jump to 24-5 being the #1 option. which pretty much mimic dwights numbers just bynum is taller and younger making this trade not look as great as everyone assumed.

first off, he was a good player in LA cause he had Kobe and Gasol....when you're a good player playing with other good players, you'll usually play well...Although I do hope that he makes the Lakers regret trading him, I just don't think that he will do "A WHOLE LOT BETTER" in Philly than in LA. He will have better point/rebound avg but I think his percentage stats will go down due to a lot more harder shots taken. Plus it's really hard to regret it if you are the Lakers cause you now have Dwight.....:D....and you can't really make that big of a jump if you already were an all-star...

chitownredbulls
10-02-2012, 06:31 PM
None of those sac players IMO make any jump, they are all far to stupid and immature to know how to do such anything no matter how talented.

And whats up with this forum and mayo? I've never seen a guy get so completely overhyped in the NBA.

Not since Rudy Fernandez at least.

:clap:
you are funny...lol...can't stop laughing while i am typing...you are an imbecile...haha

chitownredbulls
10-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Pekovic is so strong and if he indeed get the midrange shot down will open so many things for Love and Rubio to operate.

Cousins, yeah he is immature and a bonehead but his talent and upside are so great. If he can stop taking so many outside shots and really use his body to get position he could really take a big step forward.

Mayo, this is the last time i take a chance on this guy because i have had him as a future breakout for a while.

Felton, just coming back in shape will make him a good pg again. No excuse for an athlete to be out of shape but Felton should play with a chip on his shoulder this season.

Splitter, he is a bigman who needs to find focus and with Duncan on that team teaching him the post i say he has a shot to breakout this year.

Melo, having his worst statistical season, being placed so low on many sites for top players, Melo too should come out to have his best pro year ever.

Lee, Courtney will have a resurgence this year with the Celts, having Pierce and Kg on him will make a world of a difference with his work ethic and focus.

Bogut, if he stays healthy he could make the warriors decent on defense and a real threat.

Melo isn't that good...he isn't going to have his "best pro year ever"...he is overrated...:facepalm:

ohreally
10-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Jennings
Dragic
Joe Johnson (considering what he's come to represent)
Fields
Bogut (don't start rating centers until this guy plays healthy)

Sixerlover
10-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Klay Thompson will have a big year. I'll say he'll eventually surpass Steph Curry as the #1 option (maybe not this season, probably next). Homer pick is E.T. With no wing guys with the tenure on the team anymore, he and Jrue need to step up to reach expectations.

D-Leethal
10-02-2012, 09:51 PM
Mayo, Cousins, Ty Lawson

Kyrie Irving becomes a top 10 player.

xxplayerxx23
10-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Cousins
Turner
Jrue
Monroe
Beasley
Rubio

*Silver&Black*
10-03-2012, 12:33 AM
Considering this is the first year Josh Smith will be the leader of a team, I expect him to make the jump and FINALLY become an all-star (which he should have already been).

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 12:38 AM
DeMarcus Cousins
Isaiah Thomas
Tyreke Evans
Marcus Thornton
Thomas Robinson

Part of the reason Sacto fans are so frustrated all the time is how much talent we have and it isn't being used properly. The potential is more than there, it's just a matter if we can find a coach to apply it properly.

I love Cousins and Thomas as breakout candidates. However, I think Thornton has already reached his potential, picking a rookie for a breakout season is kinda pointless because it isn't really a breakout season (although I don't think Robinson will ever be a star) and I absolutely hate Evans' game. If I could pick one "Bizarro breakout star," aka someone who people will pick every year to break out but will just continue to suck and get worse instead, it would be Tyreke Evans.

mightybosstone
10-03-2012, 12:39 AM
Considering this is the first year Josh Smith will be the leader of a team, I expect him to make the jump and FINALLY become an all-star (which he should have already been).

Meh. I like Horford WAY more as a breakout pick. The dude can play defense and actually has an efficient offensive game. The way Josh Smith plays, he'll never be a good offensive player unless he's willing to make some major changes.

MrfadeawayJB
10-03-2012, 12:49 AM
Irving, Cousins, George, Turner, Bynum.

Homer Pick: Selby (if given minutes) should be a spark off the bench for the grizz after riding the pines and spending most of last year in the D-League

thenaj17
10-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Look forward to seeing Greg Monroe and Demarcus Cousins improvement. The 2 top young centres looking to prove their worth (I know Bynum is still young but he's had championship experience). I think they will both fight to play each other in the all star game with a bit of luck as backups to Bynum and Howard.

John Wall needs to improve his jumper drastically as does Tyreke Evans, another i like.

Manimal
10-03-2012, 10:20 AM
Irving, Cousins, George, Turner, Bynum.

Homer Pick: Selby (if given minutes) should be a spark off the bench for the grizz after riding the pines and spending most of last year in the D-League

The more I think about it, the better the Grizzlies seem to be. 3-6 in the Western conference in gonna be some battle.