PDA

View Full Version : Kobe: "it's my team"

NYSpirit1
10-01-2012, 07:29 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/10/01/kobe-bryant-media-day-interview.nba?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Fast forward to the end of the video, he said 'That's a silly question, it's my team' when asked whose team it is.

Go down the page to the Dwight Howard interview and he said it wasn't anyone's specific team, it was 'their team'.

Kobe has a huge ego, I'd put my money on it starting to show if he ends up averaging 18-22 a game.

Zefflin
10-01-2012, 07:33 PM
I was thinking about this earlier and low and behold...of coarse it's his team, it is. I understand dwight said it's "our team" earlier...he's right too.

Cal827
10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
In before this thread gets nickdymezed

Hawkeye15
10-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Isn't Kobe the face of the franchise and the 5 chip winner in a Laker uniform? Of course its his team right now. That being said, he better understand he isn't that teams best player anymore, or things could get messy.

Cal827
10-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Isn't Kobe the face of the franchise and the 5 chip winner in a Laker uniform? Of course its his team right now. That being said, he better understand he isn't that teams best player anymore, or things could get messy.

Basically this :clap:

el hidalgo
10-01-2012, 07:39 PM

inb4labeledashate

NYSpirit1
10-01-2012, 07:41 PM

Does that need to be said? There's 4 stars on this team now. And Nash and Howard aren't pushovers like Pau has been all these years. Kobe doesn't need to say that publicly or privately for that matter. Be modest, don't act like he just did in that interview. 'That's silly'

Does he want a championship or just team turmoil and jealousy?

Chronz
10-01-2012, 07:42 PM
18-22 what? FGA?

Hawkeye15
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Does that need to be said? There's 4 stars on this team now. And Nash and Howard aren't pushovers like Pau has been all these years. Kobe doesn't need to say that publicly or privately for that matter. Be modest, don't act like he just did in that interview. 'That's silly'

Does he want a championship or just team turmoil and jealousy?

You are asking Kobe to be modest? hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahah

Its Kobe's team. Period. That doesn't mean he needs to lead them in shot attempts or control the ball, it simply means he is the face of the franchise.

nickdymez
10-01-2012, 07:49 PM
Let the hate BEGIN!!!!!

Vidball
10-01-2012, 07:53 PM
Kobe gave the same answer Nash did...and Kobe said it will soon be Dwight's team. No story here.

LakersMaster24
10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Stop trying to blow everything out of proportion.

smith&wesson
10-01-2012, 07:54 PM
i dont even know what that question is supose to mean. how does a team belong to any one player ? if anything kobe is the captain. does that make it his team ?

Is miami lebrons team or wades?? i think its a silly question really..

C-Style
10-01-2012, 07:58 PM
It will be steering the pot if Dwight would have said that.

shep33
10-01-2012, 07:58 PM
Yeah, didn't Kobe say this would be Dwight's team in the future? Kobe also said today that he's going to play for 2-3 more years max. Which is perfect for Dwight. He's also been saying over the past few weeks that he wants to learn from Kobe in terms of leading.

I don't think this is a big deal. What makes this situation great is that we have Nash. Dude is the ultimate locker room guy, and I think his presence is essential in brining everyone together.

LakersSaintsLSU
10-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Let the hate BEGIN!!!!!

The Official "Panic Mode" Thread....:facepalm:

Haters in full force on media day

C-Style
10-01-2012, 08:02 PM
Kobe gave the same answer Nash did...and Kobe said it will soon be Dwight's team. No story here.

Just A Knicks fan trying to start something

JasonJohnHorn
10-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Of course that's what he said. This is Kobe fawking Bryant we are talking about here. What did you expect him to say: "No... this is Nash's team right now. He and Gasol are going to run the pick and roll so well, and Dwight and I are just going to play off of them."

Raye
10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
He's right. It's HIS team to lead to a championship or HIS team to set up for failure. Plus its Kobe we're talking about, guy's as confident as it gets but Kobe will know what's needed come playoff time.

TheNumber37
10-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Kobe is going to have a great year. probably 24, 5,5 shooting really well.

Showtime Steve
10-01-2012, 08:09 PM
Sounds like youre stirring the pot.

Mr_Jones
10-01-2012, 08:14 PM
im surprised Hiladgo didnt start this thread

shep33
10-01-2012, 08:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH1L9Vc4gW8

Here's the vid.

kenzo400
10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
This concept of "his team" is so childish. I would think that Kobe matured by this time in his career, but obviously not. He still acts like he is 18 years old. :facepalm:

Zefflin
10-01-2012, 08:20 PM
^^ used facepalm for no reason calls kobe childish

that's a ****ing sick angle and an epic statement tho..dwight would be smart to stay, and he will

venom518
10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
This thread was started by a person who has Carmelo on his team. :facepalm: :facepalm:.... Let the hate begin.... Hate, Hate, Hate, Hate...:clap: :clap: :clap:

natelpete
10-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think this will work out all that well?

DubbyDubbs
10-01-2012, 08:25 PM
this thread is trying to blow something small out of proportion. Every laker would say the same thing (Nash did). This is Kobe's team. He has been on this team forever, through good and bad times and won 5 championships...

Just because he is not the best player on the team doesnt mean it is not his team...

It would be like if Kobe went to Phoenix instead of vice versa... I believe strongly that Kobe or any other star who is better than Nash would have said "This is Nash's team".

LAKERMANIA
10-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I'm not going to lie, I didn't like this statement from Kobe as a Lakers fan. But in a way he is right, he has the most experience, he has the most titles, he's been through hell and back and he knows its win or bust, and he also knows that if they don't win, as the leader of the team he gets the blame..

I would like to see him Tim Duncan himself this year though..

dtmagnet
10-01-2012, 08:34 PM
If Dwight is going to be the supposed "leader" of the Lakers in 2 or 3 years then they are in trouble. Or has everyone already forgotten what an assclown this guy is.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-01-2012, 08:38 PM
People will do anything these days to derail Kobe smh

fresh prince
10-01-2012, 08:44 PM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/10/01/kobe-bryant-media-day-interview.nba?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Fast forward to the end of the video, he said 'That's a silly question, it's my team' when asked whose team it is.

Go down the page to the Dwight Howard interview and he said it wasn't anyone's specific team, it was 'their team'.

Kobe has a huge ego, I'd put my money on it starting to show if he ends up averaging 18-22 a game.

Honestly I think you are stirring the pot....

Who's team it is is COMPLETELY meaningless once the ball is jumped. Dudes play and ball without the constraints of thinking maybe I shouldn't grab this rebound since it's really Kobe's team

Thats just not how dudes hoop. It doesn't matter who's team it is. Thats just a meaningless title given out by fans and media.

But FWIW Steve Nash also agress its Kobe's team: @ 3:22

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/10/01/steve-nash-media-day-interview.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Odominator
10-01-2012, 09:00 PM
Kobe needs to recall what happened with Shaq, you remember, when the Lakers went with the younger star and traded the older player out of town.

Wouldnt it be ironic to see it go full circle for Kobe...

ink
10-01-2012, 09:32 PM

Like it or not it IS Kobe's team and will be until he retires or he is surpassed by someone else on the roster. That hasn't happened yet, and I don't think D12 is the player to surpass him. He's the best C in a generation of weak Cs but that's not going to help him replace the guy who's led the Lakers for the past 7 years.

MetroMan
10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
kobe is the best in the world. no one is better than him. NO ONE!!!!!

C-Style
10-01-2012, 09:54 PM

Ur reaching

I got ur sarcasm

LongWayFromHome
10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
He looks like he just woke up.

Ebbs
10-02-2012, 01:15 AM
Kobe needs to recall what happened with Shaq, you remember, when the Lakers went with the younger star and traded the older player out of town.

I wold honestly love to see that. Have him get traded to some random franchise for a pick and a decent young player.

Mr. LA
10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
Who cares ... Lakers 2012-13 NBA champions!

meloman1592
10-02-2012, 01:16 AM
It is "his" team but he's the 2nd best player

Mr. LA
10-02-2012, 01:17 AM

I agree :clap::clap::clap:

shep33
10-02-2012, 01:24 AM
It is "his" team but he's the 2nd best player

I agree with this. I mean the guy has been there for 16 years, has won 5 titles and cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players of all-time, let alone one of the greatest Lakers of all-time.

Howard is the better player, but like I've said before, Kobe's been there for 16 years and Dwight and Nash haven't played a game in P&G. It's kind of like how KG and Ray went to Boston, I think we still all thought of it as Pierce's "team", just because he was the longest tenured guy there. If Kobe got traded to say Orlando or Phoenix, I'd bet anything he wouldn't come out and say that the Magic or Suns were "his team"

Ebbs
10-02-2012, 01:26 AM
I agree with this. I mean the guy has been there for 16 years, has won 5 titles and cemented his legacy as one of the greatest players of all-time, let alone one of the greatest Lakers of all-time.

Howard is the better player, but like I've said before, Kobe's been there for 16 years and Dwight and Nash haven't played a game in P&G. It's kind of like how KG and Ray went to Boston, I think we still all thought of it as Pierce's "team", just because he was the longest tenured guy there. If Kobe got traded to say Orlando or Phoenix, I'd bet anything he wouldn't come out and say that the Magic or Suns were "his team"

I don't know I think he'd think it was his team where ever he went. That being said I'm not sure I agree. I think most people though they respected Pierce saw KG as the franchise player when the boston big 3 was formed.

Mr. LA
10-02-2012, 01:27 AM
Kobe answered so cocky!!! I love it!!!!!

I have a man crush! no homo

Sota4Ever
10-02-2012, 01:41 AM
If kobe ever got traded. He would play until he got back at LA. And once he played LA he would go for 100. It would probably be either the best game someone has ever played or the worst, but Kobe would go out fighting.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 01:54 AM

this definitely wont happen. this is a completely different situation. kobe is a career laker like magic. shaq wasnt. plus they were both in the prime of their careers. kobe was at the beginning of his prime and shaq at the end and were were both two number one options on a team that only had one ball and not enough room for both players egos. although that sounds a lot like now but it isnt mainly because kobe is no longer in his prime while dwight is just entering his. and kobe knows this, kobe needs dwight to finish his own legacy. and your crazy to think its not his team. you think he maintained this conglomerate known as the lakers for 16 years just to hand it over to a player that doesnt even know if hes going to be there longer one season...if so you have got to be out of your mind. but you better believe dwight he signs that extension its going to be kobes team until he retires in a couple years but through those last couple years he is going to prepare the throne for dwight.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 02:02 AM
I don't know I think he'd think it was his team where ever he went. That being said I'm not sure I agree. I think most people though they respected Pierce saw KG as the franchise player when the boston big 3 was formed.

no way. i live in mass everyone here knows/knew the celtics are pierces team. it takes REAL dominance to goto another team and make it your own. especially when they have another franchise player already there. i say the only players in the game today that can goto any team and make it "theirs" are kd and lbj. and the only reason i say that is you look at a team like the spurs which are "tim duncans team" the only two that could take that away would be those two but other then that you could get a better player but they arent taking his team away from him

ewmania
10-02-2012, 02:06 AM
lol why are people shocked.. its freaking kobe bryant

If you would of asked jordan who team is it, yours or pippen.. what u think he would of said

Hey Larry Bird? who team is it, you'rs or kevin mchale .... what u think would of came out his mouth

of course is his team, but you know let the kobe bashing began I guess lol

P Harvy
10-02-2012, 02:09 AM
He's clarifying all of this because if the Lakers win the ship he wants to be still known as the guy on a championship team even though we all know it would be dwight.

PurpleJesus
Dwight Howard is the best player on the team, but without question, it is Kobes team. The man is a legend, and has been a part of the Lakers organization his entire career. He will likely be the undisputed leader of the team.

MetroMan
but if they lose its not "his" fault. tsk tsk

shep33
10-02-2012, 02:13 AM

I dunno man. Pierce seemed like the head-honcho in Boston even when they formed the big 3. He even took home the Finals MVP to boot and people continued calling it his team.

I think your point about "respect" is what I'm trying to emphasize. Kobe is the Lakers. He may not be the best player anymore, just like Pierce probably wasn't better than KG, but I mean his tenure in LA gives him leadership precedence over the new guys who haven't played a single game in P&G.

championships
10-02-2012, 02:30 AM
http://www.lakersnation.com/dwight-howard-discusses-learning-from-kobe-bryant-taking-over-the-lakers/2012/10/01/

“Learning from a guy like Kobe, I know he’s going to be tough on me. I expect that. I want him to do that. I want to be that guy. I’ll take all the heat that he’s going to give me, because I know that at the end of the day it’s going to make me a better player, a better person, and it’s going to make this team better.”

This tells me that not only does Dwight know it's still Kobes team (for now) but Dwight wants to learn to be a leader, Champion so he is ready to take over in a couple of years.

No issue here but people will look for anything to twist into their own Drama news.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 02:30 AM
He's clarifying all of this because if the Lakers win the ship he wants to be still known as the guy on a championship team even though we all know it would be dwight.

i dont think that has anything to do with it. the whole whos the guy in the finals pretty much is determined by MVP imo. so IF (make sure u see that if im a heat fan lol) they win the finals and dwights gets FMVP he will be the "guy" on kobes team lol

championships
10-02-2012, 02:33 AM
Keep digging :laugh2:

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Keep digging :laugh2:

thats what im saying they sound crazy im a heat fan and i know its kobes team no need for debate even dwight knows lol

nickdymez
10-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Kobe has won 5 championships with the Lakers and is still playing at a high level. He has been the face of the franchise for like 10 years. He holds most of the Lakers records. Why in the hell would he say its anyone else s team but his? He is the captain of the team. You guys are so afraid of the Lakers its not funny.

P Harvy
10-02-2012, 02:48 AM
i dont think that has anything to do with it. the whole whos the guy in the finals pretty much is determined by MVP imo. so IF (make sure u see that if im a heat fan lol) they win the finals and dwights gets FMVP he will be the "guy" on kobes team lol

If this was true there wouldn't be so many laker fans who think Kobe has been "the guy" on all 5 of his championship teams

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 03:02 AM
If this was true there wouldn't be so many laker fans who think Kobe has been "the guy" on all 5 of his championship teams

who says that?! i have talked to a lot of lakers fans on this site and the main opinion is shaq was the most dominate player in the league during the 3 peat and LA was his team until he wore out his welcome.

P Harvy
10-02-2012, 03:04 AM
who says that?! i have talked to a lot of lakers fans on this site and the main opinion is shaq was the most dominate player in the league during the 3 peat and LA was his team until he wore out his welcome.

I wouldn't know about this site as I'm a fairly new member but just from personal experience there are plenty of people out there who think Kobe is the reason for all 5 of his rings. It's their go to point when debating Kobe verse any other player yet for some reason he wasn't even the best player for three of his rings and some people just fail to understand such a trivial point.

P Harvy
10-02-2012, 03:07 AM
I hate to use the Lebron vs Kobe comparison but its the perfect example. In my opinion Lebron took the title as best NBA player from Kobe years ago and the only thing people could defend Kobe with was rings. Just never was a good argument with me. You have to look at things more in depth without a bias. Sometimes it seems people forget there are usually four other guys on the court with said player.

nickdymez
10-02-2012, 03:13 AM
I hate to use the Lebron vs Kobe comparison but its the perfect example. In my opinion Lebron took the title as best NBA player from Kobe years ago and the only thing people could defend Kobe with was rings. Just never was a good argument with me. You have to look at things more in depth without a bias. Sometimes it seems people forget there are usually four other guys on the court with said player.

Yea, but if your the greatest player in the world and you lead your team to the finals, your supposed to win. I dont care. If your team makes to the finals, then they are good. Everyone said he took "Scrubs" to the finals. Thats a BS excuse.
Great players find ways to win, point blank. He finally did that this past year

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 03:15 AM
Yea, but if your the greatest player in the world and you lead your team to the finals, your supposed to win. I dont care. If your team makes to the finals, then they are good. Everyone said he took "Scrubs" to the finals. Thats a BS excuse.
Great players find ways to win, point blank. He finally did that this past year

so you really think he should have found a way to beat the spurs with the cavs team he had :eyebrow:

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 03:19 AM
I wouldn't know about this site as I'm a fairly new member but just from personal experience there are plenty of people out there who think Kobe is the reason for all 5 of his rings. It's their go to point when debating Kobe verse any other player yet for some reason he wasn't even the best player for three of his rings and some people just fail to understand such a trivial point.

imo it doesnt taint his legacy because he wasn't "the man" for 3 of his rings. at the end of the he has FIVE rings you cant argue that. and hes looking to build on that. shaq was "the man" for 3 but where did it get em 4 rings. when your known as a 5 time champ there nothing you can say about it especially when you have the individual accolades to back it up.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-02-2012, 03:24 AM
so you really think he should have found a way to beat the spurs with the cavs team he had :eyebrow:

He made it to the finals so yes

nickdymez
10-02-2012, 03:29 AM

Of course, they went to the finals. WTF?

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 03:37 AM
He made it to the finals so yes

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/series?series=clesas

do you not understand everyone knew lebron and co had no chance. uit was agreat story he made it out but he had NO number 2 option. hughes was there best option and he only avg 14 ppg and theres a reason he hasnt played a full season for any team since. pavlovic was a starter avg 9 ppg :facepalm:, and you have ilglauskas and gooden down low...really :eyebrow:...and against the spurs...c'mon man. especially with lebron not even in his prime yet having bruce bowen (5 time defensive 1st team) defendeing him and disrupting him somewhat like the Mavs of last year just without a star studded lineup to try to help carry him. you cant hold it against him that the spurs had the better team. its like holding the finals loss this year against KD...just cant do it.

nickdymez
10-02-2012, 03:41 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2007/series?series=clesas

do you not understand everyone knew lebron and co had no chance. uit was agreat story he made it out but he had NO number 2 option. hughes was there best option and he only avg 14 ppg and theres a reason he hasnt played a full season for any team since. pavlovic was a starter avg 9 ppg :facepalm:, and you have ilglauskas and gooden down low...really :eyebrow:...and against the spurs...c'mon man. especially with lebron not even in his prime yet having bruce bowen (5 time defensive 1st team) defendeing him and disrupting him somewhat like the Mavs of last year just without a star studded lineup to try to help carry him. you cant hold it against him that the spurs had the better team. its like holding the finals loss this year against KD...just cant do it.

Whatever. Make all the excuses you want. Cleveland beat them both times in the regular season. And Kobe never had a problem with Bruce Bowen. Kobe used to DOMINATE the spurs.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 03:54 AM
Whatever. Make all the excuses you want. Cleveland beat them both times in the regular season. And Kobe never had a problem with Bruce Bowen. Kobe used to DOMINATE the spurs.

because kobe was in his prime and had a better team so they had to focus on other aspects of the game you couldnt just focus on kobe and watch the rest of the team crumble. if this heat team played the spurs you could blame it on him like they did with the mavs last year but def not cavs spurs. everyone knew they had the ability to clog the lane and had the defenders who could focus on lebron and if you did that the team crumbled. i think what made him so dangerous this in the finals was bc OKC had to man him because since lebron was playing more post they could run more plays with doubles crashing down and lebron hitting wade, bosh and 3 pointers playing off the ball. something that wasn't utilized in CLE or against the mavs it was more lebron in iso penetrate and dunk/dish with the pull coming when hes feeling. but if hes not feeling it more then ½ your playbook is out the window and if your cle 90% of it so your chances of winning are slim.

nickdymez
10-02-2012, 03:56 AM
because kobe was in his prime and had a better team so they had to focus on other aspects of the game you couldnt just focus on kobe and watch the rest of the team crumble. if this heat team played the spurs you could blame it on him like they did with the mavs last year but def not cavs spurs. everyone knew they had the ability to clog the lane and had the defenders who could focus on lebron and if you did that the team crumbled. i think what made him so dangerous this in the finals was bc OKC had to man him because since lebron was playing more post they could run more plays with doubles crashing down and lebron hitting wade, bosh and 3 pointers playing off the ball. something that wasn't utilized in CLE or against the mavs it was more lebron in iso penetrate and dunk/dish with the pull coming when hes feeling. but if hes not feeling it more then ½ your playbook is out the window and if your cle 90% of it so your chances of winning are slim.

But he got swept man. It wasn't even competitive.

Steelers23_06
10-02-2012, 04:02 AM
But he got swept man. It wasn't even competitive.

it happens man. does it make it that much better that OKC won 1 game. the end a loss is a loss. i feel if you get swept that shows how outmatched your team really is. thats a pride thing no NBA player wants to get swept in the biggest stage of their life u wanna atleast win one even if its a playoff game not even the finals so to not win one you are truly just outmatched and they were but that doesnt reflect on lebron hes not the only one rebounding, passing, defending, etc. im just saying a its team game. shaq got swept by HOU that doesnt make him a worse player they just had a better team and he wasnt ready.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-02-2012, 07:19 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=1648431

C-Style
10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Everyone knows that if Kobe loses with this team, he's gonna take the heat not Dwight

justinnum1
10-02-2012, 07:46 PM
Who cares. Miami is winning the championship again this season.

Robbw241
10-02-2012, 07:48 PM
So it begins...

C-Style
10-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Check out what Nash said today on the topic:

I think this is Kobe's team. For the media's perspective, this is Kobe's team. But anyone who's ever played on a basketball team, it's also our team. The team needs to share in that responsibility. Kobe can't do everything. He's going to be great at what he's great at, and the rest of us got to pick up the pieces that get to us. This is undoubtedly Kobe's team. He's been here his whole career. He's won championships. And he's the best player on the team. We got to be there for him every day, so it's essentially our team as well.

ink
10-02-2012, 10:30 PM

Nash is smart enough to make the case clearly. It doesn't have to be him or me or any of that crap. :clap: In this case, it's THE LAKERS.

evadatam5150
10-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Why are you trying to dredge up such ridiculous garbage.. It is Kobe's team and he has earned the right to say it's his team.. It is his team.. Ego..?? For real..?? Every successful athlete has to have an ego, it's what drives their competitive need to succeed.. You just don't like him so you see it as a bad thing.. Fans of the Lakers and of kobe love it because that same ego and drive has brought 5 additional rings to LA.. Ego is why we love and hate athletes simultaneously.. Get over it..

STL Don
10-02-2012, 10:59 PM
It's not like he said anything that was out of line, when it's all said and done, Kobe has the opportunity to become the best Laker of all time, which is saying a whole lot considering how successful this organization has been over time. It shouldn't be to anyone's surprise that Kobe has a big ego and likes to think of himself as one of the best ever, rightfully so.
He also understands how important Howard is going to be for the Lakers and he couldn't be more excited to have had him join the team and show him how to become the starring attraction in LA for many years to come.

kblo247
10-03-2012, 05:54 AM

He did say he wants to teach Dwight and hand him the franchise in a smooth transition while he rides off in the sunset, like people envisioned Shaq doing for him.

But yeah what you say is true, also the fact is when they lose the blame will be placed on him. It just will be magnified short of Pau disappearing a third playoffs or injury to a key cog, and it will be the damned if he did or don't stuff and he knows it.

Plus to put things in perspective Kobe has played half his life, literally for the Lakers so he is as universally identified with them as Bugs Bunny with Warner Brothers at this point.

I mean he could have shrugged it off and played pc to not give sager ammo, but he doesnt give a ****. Hs old, has less years left and knows it, so he just said **** it, lol. I know people will say that's an ego thing and there is "No I In Team" but there is an "I in Win" and as long as la does that and he does, which he has more than anyone since MJ .... I'm in the I don't give a **** group it's just part of who he is and it's no different than Magic proclaiming "LA was and always would be his city" shortly after Worthy took a FMVP home

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 06:02 AM
Kobe might be the leader or "soul of the team" but Dwight is clearly the best player on the team and will be the engine behind their success.

In terms of ability/impact and value/contribution Kobe will be anywhere from 2-4th.

3ballbomber
10-03-2012, 06:06 AM
gotta love Nash! win a ring mate

SteBO
10-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Kobe might be the leader or "soul of the team" but Dwight is clearly the best player on the team and will be the engine behind their success.

In terms of ability/impact and value/contribution Kobe will be anywhere from 2-4th.
Dwight is definitely the best player on the Lakers, but Kobe is in the right here to be honest. He has the know-how in regards to getting it done when need be, and has the 5 rings to show for it. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Pau Gasol is going to be more vital than most people expect? I know Dwight makes a huge impact on both ends of the court, but Pau is their post player on offense. I think alot is going to hinge on how well he plays.

ink
10-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Dwight is definitely the best player on the Lakers, but Kobe is in the right here to be honest. He has the know-how in regards to getting it done when need be, and has the 5 rings to show for it. Also, am I the only one who thinks that Pau Gasol is going to be more vital than most people expect? I know Dwight makes a huge impact on both ends of the court, but Pau is their post player on offense. I think alot is going to hinge on how well he plays.

Good observations. And I actually still think Kobe is the best player on the team. His intangibles close the gap between himself and higher-ranked players at this stage in his career. In his prime, he was a far superior player to D12, and he hasn't lost THAT MUCH.

LongIslandIcedZ
10-03-2012, 11:13 AM
Cant help but love Kobe's attitude.

All the guy cares about is winning, and at the same time, he is a true Laker.

In the interview he kept mentioning how after he is gone, he wants to make sure he's prepared Dwight to be the face of the Lakers.

He's the man.

thenaj17
10-03-2012, 11:14 AM

WOAH! I call BS. No way will Kobe's value be outside of #2 on this team. Dwight's value will only be higher because of defense and no other reason

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 11:28 AM
WOAH! I call BS. No way will Kobe's value be outside of #2 on this team. Dwight's value will only be higher because of defense and no other reason

Eh... don't overreact.
It really depends on their roles and how each of them fit in the offense.

Gasol might explode working with Nash on the PnR and end up being more valuable / contributing more and who knows how impactful Nash will be.
It is certainly not easy to say who will be more impactful and contribute more after Dwight.

Kobe is no longer the Super-Star that we saw from 06-09 or even the guy we saw in 2010.
He is still a great player but I don't see a huge gap between him and Gasol/Nash when all are being used correctly and producing like they can/should.

DanG
10-03-2012, 11:42 AM
This is undoubtedly Kobe's team. He's been here his whole career. He's won championships

This is exactly why it is Kobe's team

Nycbball08
10-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Wow all this Tom I thought it was Jeey Buss team..:facepalm:

3RDASYSTEM
10-03-2012, 12:10 PM
Hes right its his team, he got drafted by them 17yrs in, and was a LAKER fan prior to getting drafted by them so its his team

no diff than when SHAQ went to MIA, it was WADES team, no diff than BRON goin to there even though hes younger and better overall player to me, its still WADES team..he even said he build 'rooms' in the house for BRON/BOSH

When AI went to NUGGS it was MELO's team, he even said it..plus it was 32yrs vs 22yrs of age, you always roll with youth when they both have killer games..

HOWARD is the best on the squad for what he brings on 'both' sides of the ball, he aint the best scorer, but he may be the best/efficient option..since on here in psdville effficiency is 2nd to none right?

KB will still get his points being that NASH is a pass happy guard, PAU is a pass happy powerfoward,and DWIGHT isnt a 30+ppg scorer like a WILT/SHAQ/ALCINDOR so KB will shoot more or same as past few yrs

this reminds me of the SHAQ/KOBE situation in 1996 where everybody said KOBE was too young and not ready and watnot...if he was as good as people say he is now then him and SHAQ should have ran threw STOCKTON/MALONE, DUNCAN/ROBINSON led teams..not getting swept out, cause SHAQ was superready

now in 2012 if/when it doesnt happen they will say he is too old and not the same in his 'prime' and too many minutes played and deep playoff runs and PAU let them down,HOWARD quit or ARTEST couldnt throw a rock in the ocean and on and on

and then i will say you are who you are from day1,rings non included

Munkeysuit
10-03-2012, 12:25 PM
It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out Kobe is the head honcho on this Laker squad...Howard and Nash have never won any titles, I can safely say that "they don't know how to win" Kobe will play the role of "ultimate babysitter" and groom these 2 losers to win and win big.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 12:36 PM
It doesn't take rocket appliances to figure out Kobe is the head honcho on this Laker squad...Howard and Nash have never won any titles, I can safely say that "they don't know how to win" Kobe will play the role of "ultimate babysitter" and groom these 2 losers to win and win big.

Yeah because Kobe who has won 1 Ring as the main engine of a team and 2 in the role of leader is the "ultimate winner" right?

Dwight and Nash are not "losers" nor is Kobe some All-Time great winner.

Nash will most likely be running the offense on this new team and Dwight will be the most impactful player for them on the court.

raiderposting
10-03-2012, 12:45 PM
the lakers are kobes team are people ****ing ********, or dont know how much LA loves kobe? hes even saying dwight will have the team in a couple of years. you guys dont think that dwight and nash know that LA belongs to kobe right now? gtfoh

Munkeysuit
10-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Yeah because Kobe who has won 1 Ring as the main engine of a team and 2 in the role of leader is the "ultimate winner" right?

Nash will most likely be running the offense on this new team and Dwight will be the most impactful player for them on the court.

Um....yea, that makes tons of sense LOL! I am not at all fond of giving the great Mamba his due, and I have my own philosophies on how he's been able to adorn his digits with jewelry (but will save it for later) but it would be really hard to say Nash and Howard will be able to employ their former identities to this new system while the Kobester pulls off the D Wade and let them run wild in his jungle. There is absolutely no way Kobe will defer to both of those players, they do not know what it takes to win it all, Kobe (even though he wasn't always the captain of this ship) HAS won it all in the past and knows tons more than those 2 do and I am not saying he is the "ALL TIME GREAT WINNER" you are making me out to promote here ...some people...the nerve!

Munkeysuit
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I heart how Andrew32 goes on to say Nash will most likely be running the offense LOL!
I mean he is the point guard isn't he? I mean even with Kobe being the star last season, Ramon Sessions ran the offense as well...so yea, um huh?

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 01:19 PM
I heart how Andrew32 goes on to say Nash will most likely be running the offense LOL!
I mean he is the point guard isn't he? I mean even with Kobe being the star last season, Ramon Sessions ran the offense as well...so yea, um huh?
Are you comparing Nash to Ramon?
Kobe didn't let Ramon run the offense.

It is a completely different situations now with Nash not to mention they are changing the offense in other ways unrelated to the players themselves.

SteBO
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM

Nash and Dwight aren't "losers". Correct. I still think to this day that Nash should've at least been playing for a title in 2006 and 2007 with the Suns. Dwight already has a Finals appearance. But fact remains, they both have nothing to show for their "greatness". Kobe does.

You can downplay his impact from 2000-2002(disagree), and in 2010(strongly disagree here) all you want to, but he was vital in their championships. I don't think you can say with a straight face that Shaq would have 3/4 of his titles without Bryant. Since he left LA, Kobe had won back-to-back while Shaq won one on the coattails of a brilliant Dwyane Wade, so what are Laker fans suppose to do with that knowledge?

SteBO
10-03-2012, 01:25 PM
Nash should be the one to run the offense, and I still think Kobe will find a way to adjust. He's a smart player that knows what it takes to win. I don't know how anyone can dispute that Kobe is the leader of this team.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Kobe had won back-to-back while Shaq won one on the coattails of a brilliant Dwyane Wade, so what are Laker fans suppose to do with that knowledge?
So?
Shaq still won 3 titles as the undisputed engine / #1.
Kobe only won 1 title in that same situation.

I never said Shaq would have won without Kobe but Kobe was still just a supporting player / sidekick.

Shaq entered the league in 92, Kobe in 97 and Kobe was a bench player until 99.

Kobe's Prime was in the late 00's while Shaq was already past his Prime by 04
It is ridiculous to try and compare their success in the late 00's considering that.
If both were in their Primes and had similar casts then yeah it might make sense but that wasn't the case.

Kobe also won his "2 titles" in a much weaker era and with much better supporting casts then the ones Shaq had in a league that changed its rules to benefit his type of player.

Shaq did not ride anyone in 06.
He was pretty much 1A/1A with Wade in 2006 or a very close 2nd best player in terms of importance to that title run.

He was the one opposing teams were still choosing to focus their defenses on stopping and even in the Finals he was getting double teamed heavily.

He was absolutely dominant against Chicago and Detroit and averaged
18 / 12 / 3apg / 2bpg in the first 3 wins against Dallas on 69% shooting.

SteBO
10-03-2012, 01:44 PM
So?

I never said Shaq would have won without Kobe but Kobe was still just a supporting player / sidekick.

It is ridiculous to try and compare their success in the late 00's considering that.
If both were in their Primes and had similar casts then yeah it might make sense but that wasn't the case.

Kobe also won his "2 titles" in a much weaker era and with much better supporting casts then the ones Shaq had in a league that changed its rules to benefit his type of player.

He was pretty much 1A/1A with Wade in 2006 or a very close 2nd best player in terms of importance to that title run.

He was the one opposing teams were still choosing to focus their defenses on stopping and even in the Finals he was getting double teamed heavily.

You just quoted a part of my post, and missed my point. Bottom line, Kobe is and should be the undisputed leader of this Laker team for he's the only one outside of maybe Pau, which I question now after what I've seen for two years from him, that knows what it takes to win titles. It's really this simple.

I said the same thing about Wade when LBJ and Bosh came down to Miami in 2011, and had LeBron not wet the bed in the Finals, he'd be a 3-time champ right now.

naps
10-03-2012, 02:03 PM
:laugh2:

I wanna see how baby Dwight feels with this (not expecting anything anytime soon though) and see how he feels during the season with a LOT less touches than he used to get. I don't believe Kobe takes less than 20 shots game. That will make things very very interesting while they have three other way more efficient scoring options on the starting lineup.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM

holy **** your hate for kobe is unreal... notice how ur the only one that says kobe only won once as the main guy i don't see anyone sayin this besides some lebron jock riders its emberrasing actually...

kobe was the man 4 those two championship teams and go ahead and say shaq was the man for those 3 rings, just don't forget that if it wasn't for kobe beating the hardest opposition in the WC the lakers don't even sniff the finals... kobe was arguably the lakers mvp in two of the 3 playoffs , sure shaq got the finals mvp's because he played against scrub center in the finals... kobe is the ultimate winner it's sad alot of you can't see that

ewing
10-03-2012, 02:27 PM
This statement is neither surprising or relevant. In fact i find it very uninteresting

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-03-2012, 02:31 PM
So?

lol ok so kobe second fiddle but shaq wasn't to wade lo your doble standard is pathetic...and no kobe didn't play in a weaker era when he won his championships as the man, the teams were far more stacked!

just stop!

SteBO
10-03-2012, 02:33 PM
Andrew32, answer this question for me; how was Kobe not the undisputed #1 on the Lakers in 2010?

Chronz
10-03-2012, 02:53 PM
This is exactly why it is Kobe's team

So then its pretty much irrelevant right? Kobe is the incumbent is basically all your saying, whereas Dwight is the superior player. To me if you have to name 1 representative for a team, who ever the superior player is, thats whos team it is.

ManningToTyree
10-03-2012, 03:12 PM
Of course it is Kobe's team.

E.O.21
10-03-2012, 03:23 PM
Dosent matter whos team its is. This Laker experiment wont work out anyway

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 03:27 PM
kobe was the man 4 those two championship teams and go ahead and say shaq was the man for those 3 rings, just don't forget that if it wasn't for kobe beating the hardest opposition in the WC the lakers don't even sniff the finals... kobe was arguably the lakers mvp in two of the 3 playoffs , sure shaq got the finals mvp's because he played against scrub center in the finals... kobe is the ultimate winner it's sad alot of you can't see that
Lots of gibberish in here.
Shaq was the clear MVP of 9/10 WCSeries.

Statistically Shaq dwarfed Kobe in 8/10 WCSeries and that is completely and ignorantly ignoring the circumstances each player played under.

-The offense was anchored by Shaq

-Shaq was the main focus of the opposing defenses
-Shaq would always have 3-4 sets of eyes on him with or without the ball and was the one facing the double/triple teams.

-The fact that Shaq was the teams defensive anchor and had a gigantic edge in defensive impact.

So really... get out of here with that.

Kobe in 00 and 02 was not even equal to Prime Pippen and you want to act like his impact and contributions were similar to Peak O'neal?
He was a sidekick / supporting player all 3 years.

Kobe didn't play in a weaker era when he won his championships as the man, the teams were far more stacked!

Do you really think the late 00's West was not weaker then the early 00's West? :facepalm:

Andrew32, answer this question for me; how was Kobe not the undisputed #1 on the Lakers in 2010?
Because Gasol was the "co-engine" for LAL that year with Kobe.
Gasol was the best overall playoff performer for LAL that year.
Gasol was the MVP of 2/4 series and co-MVP of 1/4 series.

To be the main engine of a team you have to be significantly more valuable and contribute far more then your 2nd best player.
Gasol and Kobe were neck and neck in terms of importance to that title run.

2009 is the only year Kobe won it as the undisputed engine / #1 and even then Gasol was much closer to Kobe that year then Kobe ever was to Shaq.

ink
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
So then its pretty much irrelevant right? Kobe is the incumbent is basically all your saying, whereas Dwight is the superior player. To me if you have to name 1 representative for a team, who ever the superior player is, thats whos team it is.

Sorry I have to disagree there. The leader of the team is whose team it is. Dwight is not intelligent enough to be the leader of the team. He just isn't. That pretty much sums the issue up right there.

He could be the best player in the world but if he's that dumb (which we've seen him demonstrate in interviews and by behaviour throughout his career), no one is going to listen to him or follow him. He wouldn't know what to say. For starters, he would not be able to stand up to Kobe and everyone knows it.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 03:37 PM
Sorry I have to disagree there. The leader of the team is whose team it is. Dwight is not intelligent enough to be the leader of the team. He just isn't. That pretty much sums the issue up right there.

He could be the best player in the world but if he's that dumb (which we've seen him demonstrate in interviews and by behaviour throughout his career), no one is going to listen to him or follow him. He wouldn't know what to say. For starters, he would not be able to stand up to Kobe and everyone knows it.

I would assume that Kobe would be the leader and maybe Nash would take on some of that role also.

That doesn't mean Dwight won't be the MVP of the team though in terms of contribution / impact.

Shaq was the clear leader of the 2006 Heat but Wade was overall the best player for them that year.

ink
10-03-2012, 03:45 PM
I would assume that Kobe would be the leader and maybe Nash would take on some of that role also.

That doesn't mean Dwight won't be the MVP of the team though in terms of contribution / impact.

Shaq was the clear leader of the 2006 Heat but Wade was overall the best player for them that year.

With Nash feeding him in the low post like he's never been set up in his life before, he could well be the STATISTICAL leader of the team, but that's not the same as the actual leader.

I think you're right that Kobe together with Nash will be the leaders of the team. Both are very bright in very different ways. Kobe is a fierce leader and Nash is extremely aware, and excellent with teammates. In some sports they have captains and assistant captains. That's how this should unfold with Kobe and Nash, captain and assistant captain.

It really has little to do with who the best player is. It has to do with their leadership, past and present. Who sets the tone? Who most commands attention when he speaks? Who can bring the best out of his teammates? I can't see Dwight being the answer to any of those questions.

DanG
10-03-2012, 03:47 PM

Statistically Shaq dwarfed Kobe in 8/10 WCSeries and that is completely and ignorantly ignoring the circumstances each player played under.

-Shaq would always have 3-4 sets of eyes on him with or without the ball and was the one facing the double/triple teams.

-The fact that Shaq was the teams defensive anchor and had a gigantic edge in defensive impact.

Kobe in 00 and 02 was not even equal to Prime Pippen and you want to act like his impact and contributions were similar to Peak O'neal?

Do you really think the late 00's West was not weaker then the early 00's West? :facepalm:

To be the main engine of a team you have to be significantly more valuable and contribute far more then your 2nd best player.

2009 is the only year Kobe won it as the undisputed engine / #1 and even then Gasol was much closer to Kobe that year then Kobe ever was to Shaq.

How so?

SteBO
10-03-2012, 03:50 PM

I agree with your post, but the bolded brings up a debate I've had for years with people. While I do think Wade carried and led the Heat to the "ship in 2006, you're the first person I've ever seen bring this up and I commend you for it because it's overlooked by so many Heat fans it's absurd (not necessarily here on PSD).

People tend to think that "leading" and "being the best player" on a given team are one in the same at all times and that that's the way it's to be. Eventually, Dwight is going to have to grow up to start to take part in the leadership role though, because Kobe isn't going to be around forever.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
How so?

Well... (I am assuming you're asking about the bolded)
Keep in mind these are just my opinions from my perspective.
I respect those who feel differently.

Anyway.

Gasol VS Kobe (2010 Playoffs)

OKC :
------
Gasol : 20 / 12 / 4apg / 1.5bpg on 53% FG / 58%TS
Kobe : 23 / 4 / 4apg on 40%FG / 50%TS

Finals (4 Wins) :
---------------
Gasol : 19 / 14 (6ORB) / 5APG / 2.5BPG on 46% shooting + 7 TOV
Kobe : 26 / 10 / 3.75APG / 2SPG on 37% shooting + 11 TOV

For me Gasol was the FMVP and thus MVP of the Celtic's series based on the fact that he was the best overall player for LAL in the wins and in G7.

In the 3 losses Kobe was slightly better but not by much.
Gasol was much better in the 1st loss.
Kobe was "slightly" better in the 2nd loss.
Kobe was much better in the 3rd loss.

So overall I think Gasol was the MVP of the OKC and Boston series.

Against Utah he was either the MVP or co-MVP with Kobe who also had an amazing series.

Denver :
Gasol : 24 / 15 / 3apg / 3bpg on 61%FG / 68%TS

Bruno
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
So?
Wrong again.

Actually, you said that exact thing on September 23rd, in response to me, in this thread:
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?p=23723934#post23723934

nobody would have won three in a row with Shaq besides Kobe. some could have gotten one, maybe two, but not three.

...your response was.

I don't agree with that bro.

It is clear what Shaq needed to contend was a dependable 2nd scorer to get it done when teams either forced him to give it up or tried the "shut down everyone but Shaq" strategy (which worked for the Pistons in 04).

Could Ray Allen or Paul Pierce not put up 20-25+ppg on decent efficiency with 2-4 apg?

Obviously this is all hypothetical but I don't see why other high end guards couldn't replace him.
Kobe in 00 and 02 was not that special of a player in terms of production and impact.
01 was really the only year he played like a Super-Star next to Shaq and would have possibly been tougher to replace (although I think they win even with a lesser guard).

They were able to do that on bad teams while opposing defenses were focused on them.
Put them next to Peak Shaq and all of a sudden they get constant single coverage, wide open lanes and a stream of wide-open shots.

What are you talking about bro?

No. Wade had superior regular seasons stats. Shaq also missed 23 regular season games. Wade was clearly the #1 with Miami in 2006; this is universally accepted by everyone, including Shaq.

Wade had far more dominant numbers in the playoffs, especially the finals:

Here are the numbers, basketball-reference is a beautiful thing:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=wadedw01&y1=2006&p2=onealsh01&y2=2006

Look at the stats. Wade vs. Shaq in the playoffs isn't even close. You post wrong information practically every day on this forum. I'm gona call it out every time I see it.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Look at the stats. Wade vs. Shaq in the playoffs isn't even close. You post wrong information practically every day on this forum. I'm gona call it out every time I see it.

Eh... I disagree.
Shaq was arguably the MVP of the Chicago and Detroit series.

He was also still the main focus of opposing defenses and the team leader.

Overall I do think Wade was the best player on the team and the bigger contributor between the two that year but in terms of actual importance to that title run they were pretty darn close.
It's basically 1A/1A or 1A/1B... very close.

Even in the Finals most people ignore how heavily Shaq was doubled which opened up the court for Wade and he did average 17 / 12 / 3apg / 2bpg on 69% shooting in the first 3 wins against Dallas so it isn't like they even stand a chance of winning that series without O'neal.

Shaq's impact was always greater then his numbers anyway.

Don't call my information wrong when it isn't.
We may have a difference of opinions but that is no need to be rude.

Bruno
10-03-2012, 04:08 PM

Anyway.

For me Gasol was the FMVP and thus MVP of the Celtic's series based on the fact that he was the best overall player for LAL in the wins and in G7.

Against Utah he was either the MVP or co-MVP with Kobe who also had an amazing series.

Denver :
The 2010 playoff numbers were a practical wash between Kobe and Pau.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-21-30

Scroll down and look at #24 and #26. Kobe posted a finals PER of 26.3 against Boston (29/8/4). Pau posted a finals PER of 25.5 (19/12/3). Very, very close.

Have we ever seen a co-Finals MVPs? No. Would it have been appropriate in 2010? As good a year as any. Co-MVP never happens, and when it's close, the trophy is going to go to the team Captain, to the guy who is the face of the franchise, to the guy who had given over 13 years to the franchise. That's what happened in 2010. Pau has a fine argument for co-MVP, but you're wrong when you say Kobe didn't deserve it. The numbers are there, and the votes were counted.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 04:11 PM
The 2010 playoff numbers were a practical wash between Kobe and Pau.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-21-30

Scroll down and look at #24 and #26. Kobe posted a finals PER of 26.3 against Boston (29/8/4). Pau posted a finals PER of 25.5 (19/12/3). Very, very close.

Have we ever seen a co-Finals MVPs? No. Would it have been appropriate in 2010? As good a year as any. Co-MVP never happens, and when it's close, the trophy is going to go to the team Captain, to the guy who is the face of the franchise, to the guy who had given over 13 years to the franchise. That's what happened in 2010. Pau has a fine argument for co-MVP, but you're wrong when you say Kobe didn't deserve it. The numbers are there, and the votes were counted.
Don't get me wrong.
I have no issue with Kobe winning the FMVP even though I personally think Gasol deserved it more and I wasn't calling him a sidekick that year.

In terms of overall contributions/importance I think they were about equal that year or 1A/1A.

I wasn't calling Gasol better necessarily but it was far too close to say Kobe was the undisputed engine of the team like he was in 2009.

RaiderLakersA's
10-03-2012, 04:12 PM
http://www.lakersnation.com/dwight-howard-discusses-learning-from-kobe-bryant-taking-over-the-lakers/2012/10/01/

This tells me that not only does Dwight know it's still Kobes team (for now) but Dwight wants to learn to be a leader, Champion so he is ready to take over in a couple of years.

No issue here but people will look for anything to twist into their own Drama news.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bruno
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Eh... I disagree.
Shaq was arguably the MVP of the Chicago and Detroit series.

He was also still the main focus of opposing defenses and the team leader.

Overall I do think Wade was the best player on the team and the bigger contributor between the two that year but in terms of actual importance to that title run they were pretty darn close.
It's basically 1A/1A or 1A/1B... very close.

Even in the Finals most people ignore how heavily Shaq was doubled which opened up the court for Wade and he did average 17 / 12 / 3apg / 2bpg on 69% shooting in the first 3 wins against Dallas so it isn't like they even stand a chance of winning that series without O'neal.

Shaq's impact was always greater then his numbers anyway.

Don't call my information wrong when it isn't.
We may have a difference of opinions but that is no need to be rude.

No, your information is wrong. You cherry pick when you choose to use and ignore stats based on your opinion based arguments. Wade was better than Shaq in the finals; he posted one of the most dominant finals in league history in 2006. This is universally accepted. Wade was far superior throughout the playoffs as well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2011/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=FinalsPerformances-1

2006 Playoffs:

Wade: PER- 26.9, TS%- .593, WS- 4.8, WS/48- .240
Shaq: PER- 19.9, TS%- .571, WS- 1.6, WS/48- .103

Not even close.

Bruno
10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Don't get me wrong.
I have no issue with Kobe winning the FMVP even though I personally think Gasol deserved it more and I wasn't calling him a sidekick that year.

In terms of overall contributions/importance I think they were about equal that year or 1A/1A.

I wasn't calling Gasol better necessarily but it was far too close to say Kobe was the undisputed engine of the team like he was in 2009.

'You have no issue with it', but you do. You post about it all the time, you wouldn't do that unless you strongly disagree with the voting. If you had no issue with it, you'd have no reason to keep bringing this up thread after thread.

1A/1B is a fair description of Kobe and Pau in 2010. Pau was the ideal player/skill set to pair with Bryant at the time.

joeystats
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM
Lol an 8 page thread cuz Kobe said it was his team. If anyone watched the TWC network launch then you would of heard Dwight already understands that it's Kobes team. In fact Dwight did another Kobe impression about how Kobe wants to leave the team and good hands when he gone.

Plus another interview:
"I'm willing to go through that process, learn from one of the greatest to ever play the game and I think it will be great," Howard said. "I think learning from a guy like Kobe, I know he's going to be tough on me but I expect that and I want him to do that. So, I'll take all the heat that he's going to give me because I know at the end of the day that's going to make me a better player and a better person and it's going to make this team better."

So who cares that Kobe said it's his team, Dwight, Nash and the rest of the Lakers are on the same page with that and stand behind him.

DanG
10-03-2012, 04:23 PM

Anyway.

Denver :

IMO Gasol wasn't the clear mvp vs Boston. Kobe was better than Gasol in 4 games. ( G1,G3,G4,G5).

OKC - Gasol
Jazz - Kobe (Gasol had a great series too)
Suns - Well.. That was one of the sickest series from Kobe. 34/7/8/1 on 52% shooting, 88% free throws, 43% from three.
Celtics - Very close..

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Wade was better than Shaq in the finals; he posted one of the most dominant finals in league history in 2006. This is universally accepted. Wade was far superior throughout the playoffs as well.
My information is not wrong but sometimes "bulk stats" can be misleading.
Shaq was arguably the MVP of 2/4 series in that years playoffs and as I showed he was a huge contributor in the Finals.

Wade was the better player that year and the #1 but Shaq was either a very close #2 or a 1B.

Their overall value was pretty similar.

Shaq VS Detroit : 22 / 11 / 2.5bpg on 66% shooting

Shaq VS Chicago :
------------------
First two Wins : 25 / 12 / 2apg / 4bpg on 64% shooting
Last two Wins : 23 / 15 / 3.5apg / 2.5 on 61% shooting

Shaq VS Dallas (first 3 wins)
17 / 12 / 2.5bpg on 69% shooting.

Wade separated himself from Shaq in the Finals but even their the gap wasn't quite what you'd think considering O'neal was the main focus of their defense and put up pretty good numbers in the victory's.

So yeah overall Shaq was a 1B or a very close #2 that year imo.
If you feel differently I can respect that.

nickdymez
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
Why do we keep mentioning "series" when the award is FINALS MVP? In which Wade had the greatest finals performance i have ever seen. And Gasol had a game in the finals where he scored like 9 points.

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 04:26 PM
1A/1B is a fair description of Kobe and Pau in 2010. Pau was the ideal player/skill set to pair with Bryant at the time.
Pau wasn't a supporting player that year or a 1B.
He was legitimately one of the best 5-10 players in the league that year in the same bracket as Kobe.

Regular Season PER / WShares
Gasol : 22.9 ||| 11
Kobe : 21.9 ||| 9.4

Playoff PER / WShares
Gasol : 24 ||| 4.7
Kobe : 24.7 ||| 3.6
Calling him 1B is disingenuous and honestly if anyone would be 1B that year it would be Kobe although I don't call him that.

They were 1A/1A and co-anchors/engines for that team.

Bruno
10-03-2012, 04:27 PM
My information is not wrong but sometimes "bulk stats" can be misleading.
Shaq was arguably the MVP of 2/4 series in that years playoffs and as I showed he was a huge contributor in the Finals.

Wade was the better player that year and the #1 but Shaq was either a very close #2 or a 1B.

Their overall value was pretty similar.

Shaq VS Detroit : 22 / 11 / 2.5bpg on 66% shooting

Shaq VS Chicago :
------------------
First two Wins : 25 / 12 / 2apg / 4bpg on 64% shooting
Last two Wins : 23 / 15 / 3.5apg / 2.5 on 61% shooting

Shaq VS Dallas (first 3 wins)
17 / 12 / 2.5bpg on 69% shooting.

Wade separated himself from Shaq in the Finals but even their the gap wasn't quite what you'd think considering O'neal was the main focus of their defense and put up pretty good numbers in the victory's.

So yeah overall Shaq was a 1B or a very close #2 that year imo.
If you feel differently I can respect that.

You can isolate individual games, or individual series as much as you want. The facts remain the same, Wade was far more dominant throughout the entire playoffs, and far more dominant in the finals. Those are the numbers, and that is what's remember about those 2006 playoffs. 1A to a 2B, not even close to a 1A/1B type scenario.

Bruno
10-03-2012, 04:30 PM
Pau wasn't a supporting player that year or a 1A.
He was legitimately one of the best 5-10 players in the league that year with Kobe.
Yes, yes he was. That's why I still refer to him as #1 option B, because he still had the skillset and impact of a #1 type player.

...see how stupid this can get?

Calling him 1B is disingenuous and honestly if anyone would be 1B that year it would be Kobe although I don't call him that.

No it's not. It's a fine description, you just don't like it. It means that he's a #1 option type caliber player, playing behind one of the leagues best players (and openly accepting the role as the #2 option in the playoffs).

You do essentially call him that. repeatedly.

RaiderLakersA's
10-03-2012, 04:31 PM
Clearly this thread has been lorded over by people with anti-Kobe agendas, the critically-thinking impaired, and/or the idiots that are just too damn lazy to research the ENTIRE interview with Kobe. Here, read the complete article from ESPN, you dumb sons-a-b****es and stop trying to start ****!!! :mad:

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. -- As a 34-year-old veteran about to embark on his 17th NBA season, Kobe Bryant knows that he's much closer to the end of his career than he is to the beginning.

That doesn't mean, however, that he's going to quietly fade into the background, even on a team that he described as "on its face, the best talent I've been around."

The Lakers might have added a three-time Defensive Player of the Year in Dwight Howard and a two-time MVP in Steve Nash since last season, but the No. 1 guy is still going to be No. 24 if he has anything to say about it.

"I got a question earlier about whose team this is," Bryant told reporters at the Lakers media day Monday. "I don't want to get into the, 'Well, we share ...' No, it's my team."

"But I want to make sure that Dwight, when I retire, this is going to be his. I want to teach him everything I possibly know so that when I step away this organization can ride on as if I never left."

Howard, a former teammate of Bryant's at the 2008 Olympics, with his happy-go-lucky personality and fun-loving ways, said he is at the point of his career that he is looking forward to falling in line behind the no-nonsense Bryant.

"I'm willing to go through that process, learn from one of the greatest to ever play the game and I think it will be great," Howard said. "I think learning from a guy like Kobe, I know he's going to be tough on me but I expect that and I want him to do that. So, I'll take all the heat that he's going to give me because I know at the end of the day that's going to make me a better player and a better person and it's going to make this team better."

According to Bryant, part of his plan to nurture Howard is to prepare the All-Star center to become the face of the Lakers franchise when he retires. Bryant has two years remaining on his contract with the team. Howard only has one year, but it is widely assumed that Howard will re-sign a max extension with the Lakers this upcoming offseason.

"This organization has done so much for me. I'm so thankful to them," Bryant said. "That's one of the conversations that (Lakers vice president of player personnel) Jimmy (Buss) and I had over the summer. It was like, 'If you have the opportunity to get Dwight, get him because I want to see this organization continue to flourish and continue to be successful long after I'm gone.' "

Nash, who has experience playing alongside All-Stars like Dirk Nowitzki in Dallas and Amare Stoudemire in Phoenix while sharing the spotlight, said that Bryant is the rightful choice as the person who controls the team.

"I think this is Kobe's team," Nash said. "For the media's perspective, this is Kobe's team. But anyone who's ever played on a basketball team, it's also our team. The team needs to share in that responsibility. Kobe can't do everything. He's going to be great at what he's great at, and the rest of us got to pick up the pieces that get to us. This is undoubtedly Kobe's team. He's been here his whole career. He's won championships. And he's the best player on the team. We got to be there for him every day, so it's essentially our team as well."

While unwilling to concede his spot in the pecking order, Bryant believes that he, Howard, and Nash as well as the team's other key pieces in Pau Gasol, Metta World Peace and Antawn Jamison can coexist because of the variety to their skill sets.

"I don't see it as being an issue at all," Bryant said. "We do different things. I think having Steve helps tremendously. It's a different dynamic than it was with (Shaquille O'Neal). I had to do something that I naturally don't do, which is be a quarterback, make plays for other people and score. The responsibility of him getting the ball fell on me and it was like, this is not what I do. But I figured it out.

"Here, that's Steve. Steve's the quarterback. He has a great system in the Princeton offense to kind of play around with and manipulate. I just slide to my natural spots."

Bryant, while still holding on to his role as the team spokesman, is certainly receptive to being a receiver and leaving the QB duties to someone else this season.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8450210/kobe-bryant-makes-clear-los-angeles-lakers-team

Andrew32
10-03-2012, 04:33 PM
1A to a 2B, not even close to a 1A/1B type scenario.
Agree to disagree bro.

I made a solid effort trying to show you my POV and even said it was arguable that Shaq was a close #2 rather then a 1A or 1B but anything beyond that is just flatout wrong imo.

You cannot always judge value purely by the stats.
Large sample sizes can sometimes disguise truth's and contribution.

I followed that Heat team super closely in 2006.
I watched every single one of their playoff games.

You are vastly underrating the impact and value Shaq had that year.
Before he joined the team they went nowhere.
After he declined they went nowhere.

Anyway drop it now please I don't like pointless arguments.

Stinkyoutsider
10-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I would just assume that Kobe has earned that spot. With 5 titles and being with the team this long, it should go to Kobe for right now, at least until Howard gets some years with the Lakers under his belt.

If Derek Fisher was around, then I think I would feel differently about Kobe saying this because Fisher has been with the team a long time too. Between the two of them, I guess the leader would be the better player, which Kobe is?

RaiderLakersA's
10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
If Derek Fisher was around, then I think I would feel differently about Kobe saying this because Fisher has been with the team a long time too. Between the two of them, I guess the leader would be the better player, which Kobe is?

Even Derek Fisher would say that this is Kobe's team...as he has already stated on numerous occasions in the past.

And if you're still not sure, just look at how oft the Lakers parted ways with Fisher willingly, or brought in talent (like Ron Harper, Gary Payton and others) with the intent of replacing Fish.

The Lakers have never brought in anyone to replace Kobe. This is HIS team.

Gram
10-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Psd is Gram's forum.

Randy West
10-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Kobe just stated the obvious, it is and should be his show no if's and or buts about it.

The reporter who asked the question should be fired for asking such an obvious question in the first place.

If I was the reporters boss I would ask him why on earth he would ask Kobe a question like that. Reporter just made himself look pretty dumb imo.

ink
10-03-2012, 04:59 PM
How can anyone seriously think it would be D12's team? Howard is light years behind Kobe, Nash, and Pau in terms of leadership.

How can he lead when the learning curve for HIM will be so steep? If he learns anything it should be that he should watch and learn from 3 of the best leaders in the NBA.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-03-2012, 07:08 PM

Hater post of the year... 90% is also false

C-Style
10-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Hater post of the year... 90% is also false

agreed, He loves throwing shyt towards Kobe but doesn't like it when ppl badmouth Wade. BTW why would Kobe give the keys to the franchise to a player who is not even sure he wants to sign long term & he's been in the Lakers for 17 years and is a top 5 player with 5 championship rings. And to add, Dwight to lead Kobe, Gasol, Nash Artest and others, please! there's a lot more to the game then just stats.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-03-2012, 11:31 PM
Exactly^^

sp1derm00
10-04-2012, 11:39 AM
http://www.nba.com/video/channels/nba_tv/2012/10/01/steve-nash-media-day-interview.nba/?ls=iref:nbahpt2

Nash answered the question best:

Kobe has been with the team the longest, won the most championships, and is the best player (??).

I think NBA players might have a different view of how good players are. Odom still refers to Kobe as the best player in the NBA (????), and now Nash regards Kobe as the best player currently on the Lakers.

Many people don't agree with it, I don't. Kobe isn't as consistent as before and doesn't dominate games as much as he did before.

Chronz
10-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Then its a meaningless distinction, Darrel Armstrong was once the leader of the team that included Tracy McGrady, do you really think Im going to say its Armstrongs team simply because hes the captain? If so, its a marginal fact when compared to whos the most impactful player on the team.

If hes the best player in the world, they have no choice but to respect him, because without him, the team suffers far more than without anyone else.

blacknell
10-04-2012, 11:57 AM
if Kobe doens't retire after this season, Howard will not resign

Supreme LA
10-04-2012, 12:09 PM

Right, because Howard is only willing to resign if he is the leader of a team that won't be able to win the championship??:confused:

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 01:06 PM

Lol right so Kobe is gonna retire with one year left on his contract, and Dwight won't stay lol he's already said he plans in having a lot of good memories with the fans of LA for many years to come!

nickdymez
10-04-2012, 01:25 PM

Troll

ink
10-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Then its a meaningless distinction, Darrel Armstrong was once the leader of the team that included Tracy McGrady, do you really think Im going to say its Armstrongs team simply because hes the captain? If so, its a marginal fact when compared to whos the most impactful player on the team.

If hes the best player in the world, they have no choice but to respect him, because without him, the team suffers far more than without anyone else.

There's a bit of a difference between Kobe Bryant/Steve Nash, and Darrell Armstrong. lol.

I'd even say that McGrady himself is a good illustration of why the statistically best player SHOULDN'T be the leader on his team. ;)

ink
10-04-2012, 01:41 PM

Oh really? You think ego drives everything Howard does? You think he wouldn't appreciate having one of the best perimeter players of his generation on his team? Well there goes the "help" excuse everyone likes to give players like Howard and Lebron if he does want Kobe gone.

Comments like this show how short-sighted people can be.

No NBA player would want a great player gone from his team. Especially lately in the era of BFFs, you are going to see the opposite trend. Howard will be happy to have a BFF of Kobe's calibre.

ee
10-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm just a fan and I think it's my team....

Chronz
10-04-2012, 02:50 PM
There's a bit of a difference between Kobe Bryant/Steve Nash, and Darrell Armstrong. lol.
But no difference in the way I classify whos team it is, assuming we HAVE TO identify someone.

I'd even say that McGrady himself is a good illustration of why the statistically best player SHOULDN'T be the leader on his team. ;)

They did miss the playoffs the year he became sole captain but I think your crazy. I would agree that Tmac isn't a vocal leader so I would never put him in that role, but you would agree that there are various forms of showing leadership. Either way, Im more interested in how they led their teams on the court.

Either Nash or Kobe can be the leaders in the locker room, but unless they are in denial, they wont have as great of an impact individually as Dwights defensive contributions and offensive efficiency will. Actions will always speak louder than words, so I tend to focus on that when identifying whos team it is.

rockbottom2010
10-04-2012, 02:58 PM
this is dwights team at the end of the day w/o question....kobe has to stop being a baby and move on...and not only that....dwight howard is a free agent after this season.....so he has to be care about what hes saying....cuz look what happened b.w shaq and kobe...u know...if they were still together...i could betcha that they would have had at least 7 maybe 8 rings...they were that dominate

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 03:14 PM
this is dwights team at the end of the day w/o question....kobe has to stop being a baby and move on...and not only that....dwight howard is a free agent after this season.....so he has to be care about what hes saying....cuz look what happened b.w shaq and kobe...u know...if they were still together...i could betcha that they would have had at least 7 maybe 8 rings...they were that dominate

Ok so Kobe has been a laker for 17 years been the face of the franchise since 2003 and your telling me the lakers are Dwight's team and he hasn't played a game yet in purple and gold, lol gtfo!

CousinsEvansDUO
10-04-2012, 03:23 PM
It's good that its kobes team, because that only means good new for the kings. kobe will not be the same player this season, age will finally catch up to him and he WILL brick a lot of shots, not give 50% + fg attempts to dwight and instead shoot ugly ~40 fg% mid ranger jumpers therefore the kings and the entire league will be able to destroy the lakers.
kobes ego has always been out of control and this proves just what an idiot he is. jordan knew he was the best but he knew sometimes to be the best you have to make the best pass not take the shot yourself. lakers dont even have a chance at the semifinals to be honest not with this egomaniac controling who shoots how many shots.

Cousins and Tyreke are unselfish lovebirds who NEVER EVER care about not passing the ball, that is also how LeBron, Durant, Duncan, Dirk and all the greats have been. True elite talent don't care about whos team it is, it's the coaches team.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 03:27 PM
It's good that its kobes team, because that only means good new for the kings. kobe will not be the same player this season, age will finally catch up to him and he WILL brick a lot of shots, not give 50% + fg attempts to dwight and instead shoot ugly ~40 fg% mid ranger jumpers therefore the kings and the entire league will be able to destroy the lakers.
kobes ego has always been out of control and this proves just what an idiot he is. jordan knew he was the best but he knew sometimes to be the best you have to make the best pass not take the shot yourself. lakers dont even have a chance at the semifinals to be honest not with this egomaniac controling who shoots how many shots.

Cousins and Tyreke are unselfish lovebirds who NEVER EVER care about not passing the ball, that is also how LeBron, Durant, Duncan, Dirk and all the greats have been. True elite talent don't care about whos team it is, it's the coaches team.

Hahaha dude Kobe has whooped your teams *** so much your butt hurt and that's why you made this statement btw Kobe won't be controlling anything Nash will be the ball handler and will give Kobe easier shots along with everyone else... And yeah last year that's what everyone was saying oh Kobe's old Kobe's done and guess what he goes out and averages 28-5-5 boom!

CousinsEvansDUO
10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Hahaha dude Kobe has whooped your teams *** so much your butt hurt and that's why you made this statement btw Kobe won't be controlling anything Nash will be the ball handler and will give Kobe easier shots along with everyone else... And yeah last year that's what everyone was saying oh Kobe's old Kobe's done and guess what he goes out and averages 28-5-5 boom!

28-5-5 is what Tyreke Evans can average. Not what Kobe could have averged 5 years ago. Kobe wont be able to rebound and assist well anymore sure he may avg 28ppg but on what fg%? thats right. tyreke might only avg 20ppg this season but at least he shoots 70% at the rim and avgs nearly 7 attempts at the rim.

LoveMeOrHateMe
10-04-2012, 05:01 PM
28-5-5 is what Tyreke Evans can average. Not what Kobe could have averged 5 years ago. Kobe wont be able to rebound and assist well anymore sure he may avg 28ppg but on what fg%? thats right. tyreke might only avg 20ppg this season but at least he shoots 70% at the rim and avgs nearly 7 attempts at the rim.

You really think Evans can average 20-5-5 he can't even average 20 lol whatever keep talking you don't know what your saying

Supreme LA
10-04-2012, 05:17 PM

Tyreke is garbage and won't develop anymore than he has. He's just a ball-dominant shooting PG who frustrates his teammates and won't ever be anything more. You guys got Isaiah Thomas. Time to move Tyreke somewhere else.

dh144498
11-03-2012, 01:27 AM

lol..................

Team*Chicago
11-03-2012, 01:41 AM
Aint that's the same ego that Kobe had that made Shaq leave Los Angeles to go to cryami to win a championship with Wade and then Kobe wanted out of Los Angeles to come to the Bulls? It looks like Kobe will run Dwight out of Los Angeles like he did with Shaq.

raiderposting
11-03-2012, 02:06 AM
lololol tyreke averaging 28-5-5 so your saying hes up there with durant and lebron?

beliges
11-03-2012, 02:37 AM
Kobe proving why its still his team. Outplayin

ldawg
11-03-2012, 08:12 AM
baiting thread. booooooooooooooeee