PDA

View Full Version : Do you pay the NBA?

mrblisterdundee
09-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Other than maybe once a year that I make it into Portland and go to a Blazers game, I never pay to watch the NBA. I don't buy cable or dish for my television. I don't pay ESPN or any other online provider to stream games on my television.
I just don't believe the NBA deserves my financial support - that goes for any professional sport, really. It became really clear after the lockout that the only thing anybody in the NBA cares about is money - not the fans.
I'm still a big fan who pays a lot of attention to the NBA and plays fantasy basketball, but I go out of my way to not pay a cent for any of it. I think fans need to be more willing to boycott any financial support of the league if they want cause any change in how it operates.
Do you pay for the NBA? Why do you or don't you think the NBA deserves the financial support of fans (i.e. attending games, paying to watch online or on the TV, buying merchandise, etc.)?

DanG
09-30-2012, 01:26 PM
I buy League Pass every year.

AndyfromNeptune
09-30-2012, 01:35 PM
I pay become it makes me happy.

whitemamba33
09-30-2012, 03:39 PM
That's cute. I remember the first time I tried to stand up for something.

Do you also refuse to eat at restaurants? I got news for you: that waitress isn't being nice to you because she likes you or because she really wants you to enjoy your dining experience - she wants a fat tip at the end of the night

Do you have a cell phone?

Are you paying for internet access?

Do you have money in the bank?

Do you have a credit card?

Do you have health insurance? Car insurance?

But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself - go for it. For me, life is too short to engage in small scale, hypocritical protests that do nothing other than limit my access to the things I enjoy.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2012, 03:41 PM
I have gotten league pass for at least 5 years, maybe longer. I don't live in the city of my favorite team is why I bought it originally, but I also get to watch any team I want in my favorite sport.

abe_froman
09-30-2012, 03:46 PM
Other than maybe once a year that I make it into Portland and go to a Blazers game, I never pay to watch the NBA. I don't buy cable or dish for my television. I don't pay ESPN or any other online provider to stream games on my television.
I just don't believe the NBA deserves my financial support - that goes for any professional sport, really. It became really clear after the lockout that the only thing anybody in the NBA cares about is money - not the fans.
I'm still a big fan who pays a lot of attention to the NBA and plays fantasy basketball, but I go out of my way to not pay a cent for any of it. I think fans need to be more willing to boycott any financial support of the league if they want cause any change in how it operates.
Do you pay for the NBA? Why do you or don't you think the NBA deserves the financial support of fans (i.e. attending games, paying to watch online or on the TV, buying merchandise, etc.)?
if they did that than there'd be no nba,its a business and thus needs financial support to continue operating.

and yes i do,nothing wrong with it

ACanadian
09-30-2012, 04:00 PM
NBA is a business, businesses want money.

*Superman*
09-30-2012, 04:06 PM
Not really, don't own league pass, I usually never buy my own game tickets, usually get some for free during the season, I don't wear team apparel around unless I go to a game really and even then all I really had was a Dwight shirt.

topdog
09-30-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't pay the NBA, but I would if I could buy just a sports package and not cable. I enjoy the product and so it makes sense that I would pay something to see more games.

As for merchandise, I have no desire to purchase any. Seeing a game live is not my cup of tea either - I prefer the comfort of my own home and the 90% cheaper snacks.

Bruno
09-30-2012, 04:41 PM
i go to 1-2 Laker games and 1-3 Clipper games every year. I'll be going to more this season now that I'm a grown up and can afford it :)

i've never paid for league pass, although I just might this season. I almost never buy merch. I do collect newspaper clippings from the playoffs and I save all my Laker towels/Clipper shirts that they give out during playoffs.

to answer the OP, $250-400 a season.

TheSource
09-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I would and probably will in the future, too young to afford paying for stuff like that.

2-ONE-5
09-30-2012, 05:07 PM
the NBA doesnt care if you dont pay anything to support them.

IndyRealist
09-30-2012, 06:09 PM
The NBA generates money by signing TV deals with networks and selling in-game adertising space in their arenas. Networks make money by selling commercial time, and selling broadcast rights to providers.. If you watch games at all, then you've seen the advertising. Therefore you pay the NBA. How do you think NBA teams make money? Selling tickets? That doesn't even cover player salaries.

Taking a stand on basketball? That's your big fight? Go volunteer in a soup kitchen. Or an election campaign. Or plant a tree.

The NBA is in the BUSINESS of providing you sports entertainment. Of course what they care about is making money. It's no different than the NFL, or Miramax, Pixar, or Clear Channel radio stations. Do you think Six Flags runs a dozen of amusement parks because they like to see people smile? They're providing you entertainment and you're providing them money. To think it's anything different is naive.

smith&wesson
09-30-2012, 06:35 PM
if the nba ever closed up shop i would cry like a little girl...

i order raptors nba tv, i go to games, i buy jerseys... were lucky enough to have a team in canada i support them cuz i dont wanna lose them.

Iron24th
09-30-2012, 06:38 PM
League pass is a must have.

Ebbs
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
No Mane paid for me

smith&wesson
09-30-2012, 06:42 PM
The NBA generates money by signing TV deals with networks and selling in-game adertising space in their arenas. Networks make money by selling commercial time, and selling broadcast rights to providers.. If you watch games at all, then you've seen the advertising. Therefore you pay the NBA. How do you think NBA teams make money? Selling tickets? That doesn't even cover player salaries.

Taking a stand on basketball? That's your big fight? Go volunteer in a soup kitchen. Or an election campaign. Or plant a tree.

The NBA is in the BUSINESS of providing you sports entertainment. Of course what they care about is making money. It's no different than the NFL, or Miramax, Pixar, or Clear Channel radio stations. Do you think Six Flags runs a dozen of amusement parks because they like to see people smile? They're providing you entertainment and you're providing them money. To think it's anything different is naive.

Exactly.

if they fail to entertain you then dont watch. i no longer watch the leafs for example because they have sucked so bad for so long that its no longer entertaining.

jam
09-30-2012, 08:31 PM
The NBA makes nothing from the 20-something minimum wage army which posts tens of thousands of times per poster on this forum.

The main sources of revenue are:

1. network TV
2. local TV
3. corporate sponsors
4. wealthy season ticket holders.

Sure, some of the homer goofs who post here buy an occasional ticket in row 2,999, or a hat or a jersey or shoes. But that's a tiny drop in the bucket.

It's like the sherdog posters: 90% of them are streaming the events for free, but they post like crazy.

mrblisterdundee
09-30-2012, 10:29 PM
That's cute. I remember the first time I tried to stand up for something.

Do you also refuse to eat at restaurants? I got news for you: that waitress isn't being nice to you because she likes you or because she really wants you to enjoy your dining experience - she wants a fat tip at the end of the night

Do you have a cell phone?

Are you paying for internet access?

Do you have money in the bank?

Do you have a credit card?

Do you have health insurance? Car insurance?

But hey, if it makes you feel better about yourself - go for it. For me, life is too short to engage in small scale, hypocritical protests that do nothing other than limit my access to the things I enjoy.

Yes; I understand the concept of capitalism. But all those things you mentioned really aren't the same as the NBA, which is much more of a luxury item much easier to boycott. And I don't limit my access to the NBA; I just don't pay for any of it, and it's pretty easy to get for free.
To answer your questions:
I do refuse to eat at some restaurants; the ones I do eat at, I have no moral quibbles with. That waitress is actually earning his/her money, and he/she should be getting more. I leave him/her a tip because I know he/she needs the money.
I have a Verizon cell plan, and I don't feel bad about it. I pay for internet access, and I don't feel bad about that.
I'm getting ready to transfer my money from the corporate *******s at Chase to a credit union, which will earn me more money and lower my fees. I don't have a credit card, because I only spend money I actually have in my bank accounts. I have health and car insurance.
How dense does one have to be to compare health insurance to paying to watch the NBA?

mrblisterdundee
09-30-2012, 10:39 PM

I never said this was a big fight. It literally takes me less than a minute to log onto a website and open the game for free. Then I'm not supporting the TV networks. Meanwhile, the advertising isn't really making me want to buy anything. Your average sports fan is a moron, and so is the advertising trying to reach out to them.

heyman321
09-30-2012, 10:41 PM
You mean my boss DOESN'T pay me because he loves me and considers me a dear friend for life?!?!??!?!?!? This world isn't worth living in anymore!!!

cbs9889
09-30-2012, 11:01 PM
i watch about 150 full games a year and pay $170 or close to that. i think its worth it to be able to watch one game and record another one that is at the same time and watch it later

whitemamba33
09-30-2012, 11:27 PM
Yes; I understand the concept of capitalism. But all those things you mentioned really aren't the same as the NBA, which is much more of a luxury item much easier to boycott. And I don't limit my access to the NBA; I just don't pay for any of it, and it's pretty easy to get for free.
To answer your questions:
I do refuse to eat at some restaurants; the ones I do eat at, I have no moral quibbles with. That waitress is actually earning his/her money, and he/she should be getting more. I leave him/her a tip because I know he/she needs the money.
I have a Verizon cell plan, and I don't feel bad about it. I pay for internet access, and I don't feel bad about that.
I'm getting ready to transfer my money from the corporate *******s at Chase to a credit union, which will earn me more money and lower my fees. I don't have a credit card, because I only spend money I actually have in my bank accounts. I have health and car insurance.
How dense does one have to be to compare health insurance to paying to watch the NBA?

"Much easier to boycott". Sadly, statements like that one have become too common.

None of those things I mentioned care more about their customers than they do about money. Why single out the NBA? Why pick this battle? I'm dense for bringing up health insurance, but it's the NBA that you are fired up about and taking a stand against? I can only shrug my shoulders.

IndyRealist
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
I never said this was a big fight. It literally takes me less than a minute to log onto a website and open the game for free. Then I'm not supporting the TV networks. Meanwhile, the advertising isn't really making me want to buy anything. Your average sports fan is a moron, and so is the advertising trying to reach out to them.

You know that for a fact? What brand of toothpaste do you use? Or dish soap? Or tortilla chips? Why do you use them? Why did you try them in the first place?

The point of having ads all over the place is to get you to feel that they are familiar. That way when you're staring at a shelf full of dish soap, the one that sticks out is the one that you've attached an EMOTIONAL sense of familiarity to. Advertising isn't meant to convince you to use their product, it's meant to get you to REMEMBER their product.

They don't attack you rationally, they attack you emotionally. And if they do it right, it's on a level that you don't even realize. Advertising is a multi-billion dollar industry for a reason. Facebook recently proved that paid advertising on their site generates on average $3 in sales for every dollar spent. Target and other companies show as much as a 19%-38% increase likelihood to buy something, IN STORE, not clicking through an ad on Facebook. (Wonder how they got those figures? It's pretty scary.)

It's quiant that you think that you're better, smarter, more savvy, etc. than the rest of the sports watching population. Everyone likes to think they're above average.

likemystylez
09-30-2012, 11:35 PM
You guys realize that the league, every team, all media outlets... including this forum... have corporate sponsors. Go to your favorite teams website- they have sponsors from most local chain grocery stores, big cell phone companies, gatorade, nike, pepsi, pg&e, mcdonalds, taco bell, comcast, Coors, bud light, corona, Target, Walmart, Sony, etc.....

If you support any of these places you are atleast indirectly supporting the NBA. Its almost impossible not to support them at all.....

but why dont they deserve our support? Because they are interested in making a ton of money? its not like they are trying to sell a bad product. Based on the fact that im talking to a bunch of basketball junkies who read an NBA forum even when there hasn't been an NBA game in over 3 months..... id say we all enjoy the product that they are selling?

LOL- whos buying 2k13 on tuesday.... oops supported them again.