PDA

View Full Version : Javale Mcgee Benched.....

Losoway
09-30-2012, 02:29 AM
According to Denver Nuggets head coach George Karl, JaVale McGee could be turned into a $44 million sixth man. Karl is far more concerned about finding advantageous matchups, rather than worrying about who starts. From the Denver Post: “Now, right away, George Karl thinks the whole idea of a ‘starter’ is overrated – for the Nuggets coach, it’s all about getting the right matchups on the court. Who cares who’s on the floor together for the first five minutes (quite often, it isn’t the same five on the floor in the final five minutes)? And so, center JaVale McGee might not start for Denver. ‘Training camp is going to tell me who plays — my idea right now is (Timofey) Mozgov would start with (power forward Kenneth) Faried and JaVale would stay with (reserve point guard) Andre Miller,’ Karl said. ‘But again, I don’t give a (darn) about starting lineups, and you guys are already stirring the pot. It’s all about how many minutes you play, who you play with, how well you play and how we play (when you’re on the court).’”

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/09/javale-mcgee-may-not-start-for-the-denver-nuggets/

so basically Karl wants to start mozgov and bring mcgee off bench :facepalm:

i think its a terrible move. but discuss

Ebbs
09-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Well since McGee's ego is softer than an egg yolk I think it's a bad move. However in general I agree with the sentiment.

JNoel
09-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Sixth men are most valuable many of times.

Ni55anpat
09-30-2012, 02:52 AM
who cares if he's a starter, he'll get the minutes.

Bulls_fan90
09-30-2012, 03:04 AM

Exactly. He'll be playing starting minutes to it's really irrelevant.

Ebbs
09-30-2012, 03:16 AM

He will likely care

topdog
09-30-2012, 03:24 AM
Meh. I thought this article was going to be about McGee already doing something stupid enough to have him riding pine.

The key seems to be Andre Miller which then makes sense for an athletic player like McGee who can really benefit from a PG that spoon feeds him. Not necessarily an issue if they get out the crayons and explain it real so.

odiz
09-30-2012, 03:32 AM
Its the same deal with Harden and Ginobli, they still play starters minutes and the big 4th quarter minutes.

N3TS
09-30-2012, 03:36 AM

This sums it up from my understanding.

ZebraCity916
09-30-2012, 03:49 AM
Karl is right. It's not about who starts. It's about minutes. If McGee gets more minutes than Mosgov, then why does starting matter??

If players are complaining about starting when getting more mins. than their reserve, then they have an ego problem and need to check it. Ego's have no place on a team.

FOXHOUND
09-30-2012, 03:51 AM
Its the same deal with Harden and Ginobli, they still play starters minutes and the big 4th quarter minutes.

Only they have much, much better heads on their shoulders. Hopefully McGee takes this as a sign that he has a lot more work to do, instead of getting complacent with his new contract. He should strive to be so good that George Karl centers matchups around him.

Stuckey#3
09-30-2012, 04:00 AM
Mozgov is more immature and physical than McGee. They are about the same size but Javale has more talent.
Karl is a smart ****ing coach. He is probably leaving TGov in to maintain McGee later in the game as both are foul prone but can also stop bigs in the paint (unless TGov is playing Blake).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_wL0OEwIEE

Bulls_fan90
09-30-2012, 04:14 AM
He will likely care

Based on what? He came off the bench regularly last season and chose to sign a long term extension with the team.

AddiX
09-30-2012, 04:19 AM
As a Knicks fan, Denver is probably my favorite team to watch and every smaller market team needs to take a page of how they built there team, I love every move they have made.

I think javale has a RARE ability to be a kind of center that we have never seen in the NBA. He is that special talent wise. BUT, if Karl and his staff can't get it out of him to work for it, no one wil.

Denvers ability to push in the playoffs ride on him, if he finds the ability to fully tap into his talent, my god, that team will be scary. Denvers team is scary if they can get this guy to realize that he can be beyond good, he can be great, in a way we have never seen before.

I truly believe that.

FOXHOUND
09-30-2012, 04:29 AM
Based on what? He came off the bench regularly last season and chose to sign a long term extension with the team.

But that was when he was a struggling young player, working to improve his role on the team. Now that he's gotten a big contract he may think that comes with a guaranteed starting spot.

I'm sure Karl has, or will if necessary, explain thoroughly that he will get the most minutes at C, but not every player is OK with coming off the bench after proving to be the best player on the team at their position.

Swashcuff
09-30-2012, 10:10 AM
As a Knicks fan, Denver is probably my favorite team to watch and every smaller market team needs to take a page of how they built there team, I love every move they have made.

I think javale has a RARE ability to be a kind of center that we have never seen in the NBA. He is that special talent wise. BUT, if Karl and his staff can't get it out of him to work for it, no one wil.

Denvers ability to push in the playoffs ride on him, if he finds the ability to fully tap into his talent, my god, that team will be scary. Denvers team is scary if they can get this guy to realize that he can be beyond good, he can be great, in a way we have never seen before.

I truly believe that.

It's a easy to build your team in that manner if you're fortunate enough to draft a top 10-15 calibre player in Carmelo Anthony. Without having Anthony none of this would have ever happened. Imagine if the Pistons took Darko? They'd be in the lottery every season searching for another Melo.

knicks=love
09-30-2012, 10:49 AM
karl is easily a top coach in the league. i think he knows what he's doing.

IndyRealist
09-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Monitor Mosgov's minutes. I'm willing to bet that he'll get more than the typical 10-12mpg a backup usually gets. McGee will get more minutes, because he's just better. But don't believe for a second that this isn't just Karl's way of justifying extra minutes for Mosgov. The Denver FO makes great move after great move, and Karl benches them.

I also wouldn't be surpised if Anthony Randolph ended up playing as many minutes as Faried, despite Faried's nonstop motor and clearly superior talent.

SLY WILLIAMS
09-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Denver may not have a superstar but they are pretty deep.

Igudala
Lawson
Gallo
Chandler
Mozgov
Faried
Randolph
McGee
Miller

They could make two legit 5 man units and really play them as separate units like Hubie Brown used to decades ago.

John Walls Era
09-30-2012, 12:32 PM
You think McGee understands what Karl is talking about? Mcgee can play 32 minutes a game and still be upset to find that hes coming off the bench. Not being in the starting lineup intro would probably piss him off.

Aleksandar
09-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Dunno what role he takes, but 44mil for McGee? That won't stop being ridiculous, even if he makes progress..

Losoway
10-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Karl is not right.... Making a star in the making center a backup center is terrible idea he is not a shooting guard

MintBerryCrunch
10-01-2012, 12:52 AM

Manu does not play starting minutes haha

xxcubs22xx
10-01-2012, 12:57 AM
karl is easily a top coach in the league. i think he knows what he's doing.

This.

I think it's a good idea.

Bringing him off the bench could shock many [2nd unit] opposing defenses.

It's a win win, because then McGee could possibly try to work harder for that starting job.

IgglesFanInCO
10-01-2012, 01:09 AM
ummmm this isnt news, he didnt start last year either, he didnt start in his breakout series agains the lakers, who cares if he doesnt start, he'll be averaging 10+ more minutes than mozgov in any case, Mcgee and Miller do well together, so they should be on the court together most of the time

Gram
10-01-2012, 01:19 AM
Javale McGee.

Losoway
10-01-2012, 01:51 AM
ummmm this isnt news, he didnt start last year either, he didnt start in his breakout series agains the lakers, who cares if he doesnt start, he'll be averaging 10+ more minutes than mozgov in any case, Mcgee and Miller do well together, so they should be on the court together most of the time

i hate these kind of replies. it obviously is news if karl made a announcement about

JasonJohnHorn
10-01-2012, 12:50 PM
I understand what Karl is saying. It is more about how many minutes you get than who starts. But that said, if he thinks a line up featuring Miller and McGee will get more minutes than a line up with Mosgov and Faried, why not START them?

I mean, in LA, it made sense to have Odom coming off then bench. He could play both forward spots, and Gasol could move to center, so Gasol would spend half his minutes at center, half at pf, so Odom would get a lot of minutes at PF and some at SF. But, what Karl is talking about is different. If McGee and Miller make the line up that gets the most minutes, they should be starting.

I dunno... If McGee was playing both PF and C, then ok, I'd get behind that.

But that's just me. I don't know why Harden is coming off the bench in OKC, so... whatever...

MrfadeawayJB
10-01-2012, 01:03 PM
I would say this move is more about bringing energy off the bench. Who Brings more, Mozgov or McGee. McGee does

IgglesFanInCO
10-01-2012, 01:17 PM
i hate these kind of replies. it obviously is news if karl made a announcement about

people who are educated about the nuggets assumed that this would at the least be a likely scenario, when karl has an announcement that he is going to try to use a fast break oriented offense next season will that be news?

TheNumber37
10-01-2012, 01:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Mcgee coming off the bench for part of last year too.

Not a bad move, considering that they are soo deep.

BRAVE KID
10-01-2012, 01:46 PM
All about the rotations..and Karl is very specific in them.

JaVale + Dre. That's pretty much what he wants.

IBleedPurple
10-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Dunno what role he takes, but 44mil for McGee? That won't stop being ridiculous, even if he makes progress..

Then you are in the minority thinking that, most in the contract thread said it was about right.....especially if he makes progress.

Baller1
10-01-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree with the concept, but Javale McGee is the last person on the planet who would understand.

NoahH
10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
He will likely care

Exactly which would cause his stats to slide. Why start Mozgoz anyways hes garbage

DenButsu
10-02-2012, 12:50 AM
Exactly which would cause his stats to slide. Why start Mozgoz anyways hes garbage

JaVale's not gonna play 48, so the backups are gonna get minutes regardless of who starts. And McGee has great chemistry with Andre Miller, so on that level it makes sense for them to come off the bench together. When all is said and done, though, JaVale will easily get the most minutes of Denver's centers, and likely be in to close out the games, which is what really matters.

IKnowHoops
10-04-2012, 02:25 AM

I truly believe that.

I like javale, but I disagree. He's a skinny heartless skilless version of David Robinson. So even if he Macedonia out all his potential he could be no better than David and we have already seen that.

JEDean89
10-04-2012, 05:02 AM
as a nuggs fan, i want mcgee developing chemistry with lawson and iggy over miller. shouldn't really matter but one thing we all know, gk will throw out about 15 different lineups this year javale will honestly be lucky to average 30 mins.

xcrisisx
10-04-2012, 05:48 AM
Mozgov is more immature and physical than McGee. They are about the same size but Javale has more talent.
Karl is a smart ****ing coach. He is probably leaving TGov in to maintain McGee later in the game as both are foul prone but can also stop bigs in the paint (unless TGov is playing Blake).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_wL0OEwIEE

exactly, that's the only reason I can come up with. That matchups things is BS caus I don't see who mozgov is gonna stop, that mcgee can't...:)

DenButsu
10-04-2012, 05:57 AM
I like javale, but I disagree. He's a skinny heartless skilless version of David Robinson.

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2012/10/02/usp_nba-_denver_nuggets-media_day.6-3_4_rx810_c608x810.jpg?a5a72fc5942a103d13896b4c862 2f64c78dad884

He put on about 15 lbs over the summer. And I don't know where you get heartless from.

JordansBulls
10-04-2012, 09:43 PM
Sixth men are most valuable many of times.

Not for centers.