PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox 2013 Managerial/FO Changes

Pages : [1] 2

Nomar
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Theres going to be a lot of news/rumors about our manager for next season and a lot of changes will and are being made to the front office staff.

I made this thread so we can talk about these type of moves and hirings and keep it separate from the thread about the actual team next year.

Nomar
09-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Gordon Edes

Red Sox are about to hire Eddie Bane, the man who drafted Mike Trout, as a top talent evaluator. At least one more hire expected.

AI
09-29-2012, 06:37 PM
#SoxNation

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Gordon Edes

Red Sox are about to hire Eddie Bane, the man who drafted Mike Trout, as a top talent evaluator. At least one more hire expected.

Someone with experience is always a good hire. Especially someone who saw what he did in Trout!

Nomar
09-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Someone with experience is always a good hire. Especially someone who saw what he did in Trout!

Yeah he was also behind the Broujos and Trumbo picks and the Morales signing. Sounds solid to me.

-Lavigne43-
09-30-2012, 02:08 PM
Trout was a first round pick. He didn't pick him by himself.

Station 13
09-30-2012, 02:37 PM
Trout was on a few team #1 if he is still avail the time they pick, including the MFY.

bagwell368
09-30-2012, 03:54 PM
Everything is academic (and not fully effective) until LL loses his "Mr. Fixit" (I.E. get in the way on everything when he feels like it) role. He's the center of the chaos over there.

AI
09-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Everything is academic (and not fully effective) until LL loses his "Mr. Fixit" (I.E. get in the way on everything when he feels like it) role. He's the center of the chaos over there.

Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see this as long as Henry owns the Sox. We all want him as far away from the GM and the decision makers, it'll never happen though.

Nomar
09-30-2012, 04:23 PM
Sadly, I don't think we'll ever see this as long as Henry owns the Sox. We all want him as far away from the GM and the decision makers, it'll never happen though.

Unless we can find a way to make LL bang Henry's wife

GrkGawdofWalkz
10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Trout was a first round pick. He didn't pick him by himself.

Of course not, I was high on Trout coming into that draft class and wanted the Red Sox to get him. All in all he had some say in the process. Still good talent vision. One way or another.

-Lavigne43-
10-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Of course he had a major say in the pick. I just hate when media says things like "this guy drafted Trout". It's a collaborative effort, especially in the first round. I also doubt he had much to do with Morales. That's the director of international scouting, and depending on the money Morales got, mostly the scout.

Nomar
10-01-2012, 02:09 PM
either way i doubt its a bad thing. But obviously it wasnt like he was the only one who wanted to draft Trout, or that Trout wasnt expected to be a good player.

grandsalami
10-02-2012, 11:11 AM
Gresh (Tweets) & Zo ‏@GreshandZo
Our MLB Insider @JonHeymanCBS just told us John Farrell and Tim (not Jon) Wallach are the names he's hearing the most for #RedSox Mgr job

Station 13
10-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Gresh (Tweets) & Zo ‏@GreshandZo
Our MLB Insider @JonHeymanCBS just told us John Farrell and Tim (not Jon) Wallach are the names he's hearing the most for #RedSox Mgr job

Farrell is a disaster.

Nomar
10-02-2012, 12:04 PM
Farrell is a disaster.

I wouldnt go that far haha, but i think everyone buying into him is only setting us up for disappointment if he does become our manager.

bagwell368
10-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Farrell is a disaster.

How is that? He's been mediocre in Toronto - middle of the road. His traits seem a better fit for Boston.

Francona was like a .370 Manager in Philly for instance.

I told everyone that Valentine was going to be a disaster, I don't at all have the same sense about Farrell.

Station 13
10-02-2012, 12:42 PM
How is that? He's been mediocre in Toronto - middle of the road. His traits seem a better fit for Boston.

Francona was like a .370 Manager in Philly for instance.

I told everyone that Valentine was going to be a disaster, I don't at all have the same sense about Farrell.

I wouldn't called that team mediocre. They have two of the top hitters in baseball. Also young Brett Lawrie...Reports he had little control of them. Running wild on the bases, bunting when it would hurt them more, taking the bat out of Enarcarion hands. And his players were immature pricks, including one that wrote slur on his face.

I just do not see what is their desperation for Farrell is about here in Boston.

MiamiBoy77
10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Anyone know anything bout Wallach?

Nomar
10-02-2012, 01:35 PM

Won manager of the year for the Albuquerque Isotopes and is LAD's 3B coach and former hitting coach. He had a solid MLB career too.

bagwell368
10-02-2012, 02:35 PM
I wouldn't called that team mediocre. They have two of the top hitters in baseball. Also young Brett Lawrie...Reports he had little control of them. Running wild on the bases, bunting when it would hurt them more, taking the bat out of Enarcarion hands. And his players were immature pricks, including one that wrote slur on his face.

I just do not see what is their desperation for Farrell is about here in Boston.

Go ahead and look at runs scored and runs allowed - then look at the predicted record and his record. He basically managed them to the record that they should have had.

What reports? Could you point to them?

Seems like he was undermined to a great extent by his GM this year, maybe he wanted problems gone that were not gone.

Whatever his flaws it's almost impossible for him to be as bad or worse then BV, and in fact I'd expect him to be decent.

bagwell368
10-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Very good 3B. Was a batting coach, been kicking around the minors as a manager. He's a tough guy as I recall, and a bit of character. He's been retired a long time, so he's paid his dues.

Station 13
10-02-2012, 02:44 PM
Go ahead and look at runs scored and runs allowed - then look at the predicted record and his record. He basically managed them to the record that they should have had.

Seems like he was undermined to a great extent by his GM this year, maybe he wanted problems gone that were not gone.

Whatever his flaws it's almost impossible for him to be as bad or worse then BV, and in fact I'd expect him to be decent.

Omar Vizquel blasted them for being unaccountable for repeated mistakes. I guess it was Escobar's that broke the camel back that he finally vented out his frustrations on how Farrell and his coaches handled the team. I guess you missed this one. it's pretty recent and a google on Omar Vizquel will bring up what I'm saying.

mzg32
10-02-2012, 03:10 PM
I can see that Farrell might be a good fit in Boston, but maybe it's just not his time. It bothers me that everybody's talking like we should just hand him the job. He sure is capable and would be an upgrade over BV but: Are we sure that Farrell is the best candidate available? What other legitimate candidates are?

Last offseason there was no real competition for the job, LL just picked his guy and we'va all seen the results. This time I'd like to see real competition and the FO has to make sure that they'll give the job to the man who is the most capable and the best fit for this team right now and on to the future.

We should not overlook worthy candidates like Arnie Beyeler, Dave Martinez, etc. just because we're infatuated with Farrell. If those reports about him being unable to control his team, and specially some young players, I think we should look our next manager elseware

todu82
10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Heard a lot of good about Wallach's managerial abilities over the past few years. Rather have him to Farrell as our next manager.

taffi101
10-02-2012, 08:51 PM

I've watched Farrell almost all year in TO, and given what he's had to work with, he's done a rather good job IMO. One of the two hitter you speak of, Bautista, has been out for almost half a year, and Lawrie has been alright for the most part, nothing special, and has made some "young" mistakes, like bunting on his own a few times, when he should have been swinging, and Farrell has actually called him on it in those instances, I've seen it. All part of growing with such a young team I believe.

He lost 60% of his starting staff in a matter of 10 days. Closer never panned out, Escobar has been a thorn, Lind hasn't produced, Romero has been terrible, and Travis Snider, whom I believe had issues with Farrell was one of the immature guys, and was cast off.

I guess you could argue that he lost control, but I just don't see that. Just no real talent, or not to be too harsh, maybe raw talent I guess.

Not sure if he would succeed in Boston or not, but he is a known and respected entity already.....that's a bit more than I can say for BV.....

taffi101
10-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Alex A. is a really good young GM, and has a certain vision/ template of how he wants to build the Jays, which I'm not sure meshes with Farrell's wants/needs, be it short term or long term.

All accounts have them on the same page, which is how it supposed to be spelled out, but I doubt it. I doubt however, there is a significant rift or Ir-repairable damages, rather just the everyday plights of manager/GM.

That said, the team just hasn't been very good. Plain and simple. Injuries, and growing pains for a really young team have taken the wind out of their sails.

Vizquel has been doing some beaking as of late, but it is what it is, and Escobar has been critical at times, but from what I remember, didn't he have the same issues in Atlanta?

Overall, I would say Farrell has done a decent job giving the circumstances.....

bagwell368
10-02-2012, 09:37 PM
Alex A. is a really good young GM, and has a certain vision/ template of how he wants to build the Jays, which I'm not sure meshes with Farrell's wants/needs, be it short term or long term.

All accounts have them on the same page, which is how it supposed to be spelled out, but I doubt it. I doubt however, there is a significant rift or Ir-repairable damages, rather just the everyday plights of manager/GM.

That said, the team just hasn't been very good. Plain and simple. Injuries, and growing pains for a really young team have taken the wind out of their sails.

Vizquel has been doing some beaking as of late, but it is what it is, and Escobar has been critical at times, but from what I remember, didn't he have the same issues in Atlanta?

Overall, I would say Farrell has done a decent job giving the circumstances.....

Good answers in these last couple of posts. Thanks.

AI
10-03-2012, 01:32 AM
Gordon Blakeley, a long-time scout and special assistant to Yankees GM Brian Cashman, is reportedly interested in leaving New York for a position with the Red Sox.

Edes

bagwell368
10-03-2012, 08:57 AM
Edes

Wowza. The Sox said that they wanted to bring in someone Sr to help BC for a couple of years.

The only way Cashman would take the role IMO is that the meddling power behind the throne (LL) cannot mess with him, or baseball ops in general.

Great! LL is fine for business related areas. Cashman is no dummy. BC has skills. Get a decent Manager and road map to get us to opening day 2015 and my faith would be largely restored.

Nomar
10-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Wowza. The Sox said that they wanted to bring in someone Sr to help BC for a couple of years.

The only way Cashman would take the role IMO is that the meddling power behind the throne (LL) cannot mess with him, or baseball ops in general.

Great! LL is fine for business related areas. Cashman is no dummy. BC has skills. Get a decent Manager and road map to get us to opening day 2015 and my faith would be largely restored.

I think you read AI's post wrong. It seems like you think that Cashman is interested in coming here when it is his assistant that Edes was talking about.

bagwell368
10-03-2012, 01:17 PM
I think you read AI's post wrong. It seems like you think that Cashman is interested in coming here when it is his assistant that Edes was talking about.

Classic... I read the name as a reporters name.... well my only excuse is cup 3 of my latest new coffee bean - wicked high caf content... Be fun if we got Cashmam for his cushy last job before retirement...

BTW, to change topics if you like coffee a lot, there is nothing like roasting your own... mmmmm..

grandsalami
10-03-2012, 02:54 PM
Red Sox Stats ‏@redsoxstats
On his weekly ESPN video Gordon Edes says managerial candidates are Farrell, Alomar Jr., Mike Lowell, Brad Ausmus, and Bill Mueller

avrpatsfan
10-03-2012, 03:07 PM
Red Sox Stats ‏@redsoxstats
On his weekly ESPN video Gordon Edes says managerial candidates are Farrell, Alomar Jr., Mike Lowell, Brad Ausmus, and Bill Mueller
Is he talking about who his top candidates are? Or what candidates the Red Sox are actually looking at.

grandsalami
10-03-2012, 03:08 PM
Is he talking about who his top candidates are? Or what candidates the Red Sox are actually looking at.

Im guessing the latter

Nomar
10-03-2012, 03:29 PM
Classic... I read the name as a reporters name.... well my only excuse is cup 3 of my latest new coffee bean - wicked high caf content... Be fun if we got Cashmam for his cushy last job before retirement...

BTW, to change topics if you like coffee a lot, there is nothing like roasting your own... mmmmm..

Not a hot coffee guy, but i do like it iced. Living in a dorm really cramps the ability to get a good cup of coffee anyways.

Nomar
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Bill Mueller would be great. Seriously, i would love that.

I like Lowell but there are mixed opinions on him and to me he seems like a perfect match for Miami.

-Lavigne43-
10-03-2012, 04:47 PM
He's probably pulling those last 3 names out of his ***. He listed them as possible out of the box candidates like a week ago. Mueller likes it on the West coast and never liked media attention.

-Lavigne43-
10-03-2012, 05:01 PM

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/jon-heyman/20444781

Soxfan85
10-03-2012, 05:19 PM
My manager at work is a NYY fan. He said you need a manager like Joe Torre or someone like Joe Girardi. And I completely agreed with him.

Nomar
10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
My manager at work is a NYY fan. He said you need a manager like Joe Torre or someone like Joe Girardi. And I completely agreed with him.

Im too young to know, but what was Torre's perception with people at the time of his hiring with NY?

Soxfan85
10-03-2012, 05:30 PM
Im too young to know, but what was Torre's perception with people at the time of his hiring with NY?

Same here maybe Bags would know. If he got along I guess It cant hurt.

-Lavigne43-
10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
What was the perception of Joe Torre when he got hired?

http://itsabout.server304.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Clueless-joe.jpg

Nomar
10-03-2012, 05:46 PM
What was the perception of Joe Torre when he got hired?

http://itsabout.server304.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Clueless-joe.jpg

See, this is why i would like to see a guy who is new to managing. Everyone starts somewhere.

Edit - thanks though Lav

-Lavigne43-
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Torre wasn't new. He managed a couple teams before the Yankees.

@brianmacp
Cherington refused to talk about Valentine other than to say, "We'll talk about it after the season."

Contract extension announced tomorrow!

Nomar
10-03-2012, 06:05 PM
Torre wasn't new. He managed a couple teams before the Yankees.

@brianmacp
Cherington refused to talk about Valentine other than to say, "We'll talk about it after the season."

Contract extension announced tomorrow!

Oh okay my bad. Still i find experience overrated. It's more of the fit within the context (in baseball that would be the city and current state of the given team) that matters to me.

Not many people can handle the Boston media. I think the Boston media is a disgrace though. They need to focus a little more on baseball and less on trying to screw with people's lives. Francona is living testament to how terrible the media in Boston is.

taffi101
10-03-2012, 07:06 PM

Torre was known as a pretty good guy. Mediocre record with St. Louis, good job in Atlanta from what I remember, play-off team in 82' I think, IIRC.

He wasn't really well received initially by the media in NY, just going from memory. Steinbrenner was always quick with wanting to can his managers, so I doubt anyone figured he would last as long as he did....funny how success changes peoples opinions....

I personally liked Joe.....

grandsalami
10-04-2012, 02:21 PM
Nick Cafardo ‏@nickcafardo
Red sox going hard for john farrell but don't rule out varitek.

Nomar
10-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Wow. Id really hope this is over with ASAP. By the end of the playoffs i want BC to be able to focus on the physical team; not the manager situation.

Still too soon for Varitek if you ask me.

Soxfan85
10-04-2012, 02:40 PM

I liked John but him as our manager and given someone big to get him out of his contract with the Jays? Some managers I would like to see interviewed

Joe Torre

Mike Maddox

Arnie Beyeler

Ryne Sandberg

Super.
10-04-2012, 03:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23257/potential-candidates-to-replace-bobby-v

bagwell368
10-04-2012, 03:32 PM
I think the Boston media is a disgrace though. They need to focus a little more on baseball and less on trying to screw with people's lives. Francona is living testament to how terrible the media in Boston is.

NO!

LL fed the media the stories about Francona and they did what they are paid to do. Some people don't like freedom of speech, but if you don't know how it works? Or the laws that support it?

*#&#*#*#*#*#*# &@^$&$((+

bagwell368
10-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Still too soon for Varitek if you ask me.

x2

Tek is not near seasoned enough for this job in this city - not even 25% of the way there.

grandsalami
10-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
Cherington did not name any candidates. Lucchino said that MLB experience, unlike last season, is not being stressed.

MoVaughnsLunch
10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
I want the Red Sox to hire someone who can wipe the slate. All new coaches. I'm tired of people saying the players need to be reminded of the good times. Why do we continue to coddle? Hire someone like ausmus. Let him hire a new staff and bite the bullet. Part of the big problem with bobby was that we forced a coaching staff on him. I want Ben and his new manager to have free reign to build something new

grandsalami
10-04-2012, 10:19 PM
Jose Canseco ‏@JoseCanseco
@redsox. How about a manager interview? Or hitting coach?

avrpatsfan
10-04-2012, 10:31 PM
Jose Canseco ‏@JoseCanseco
@redsox. How about a manager interview? Or hitting coach?
How about a hell no Jose? Haha :p

xnick5757
10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
how about the all juiced coach team?

Manager: Barry Bonds
1st Base Coach: Jason Giambi
3rd Base Coach: Jose Canseco
Hitting Coach: Mark McGwire
Pitching Coach: Roger Clemens

How entertaining would that season be?

taffi101
10-05-2012, 09:21 AM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
Cherington did not name any candidates. Lucchino said that MLB experience, unlike last season, is not being stressed.

There goes Lucchino again..... Why doesn't he just let BC do the job he is paid to do, and stay out of on field affairs? The puppet master..............

taffi101
10-05-2012, 09:25 AM
I want the Red Sox to hire someone who can wipe the slate. All new coaches. I'm tired of people saying the players need to be reminded of the good times. Why do we continue to coddle? Hire someone like ausmus. Let him hire a new staff and bite the bullet. Part of the big problem with bobby was that we forced a coaching staff on him. I want Ben and his new manager to have free reign to build something new

BV was out of baseball for a decade, he really had no circle of coaches to go to, or have "his" coaches, and he just seems/seemed like a know it all anyway, so it was doomed for conception.

I do agree that BC should be allowed to hire his guy and tell LL to stay the hell off the field.............

ciaban
10-05-2012, 11:30 AM
Trout was on a few team #1 if he is still avail the time they pick, including the MFY.

by a few teams you mean the yankees, brewers, rays and cubs right? because everyone else had selected once by then and some twice, and he wasn't #1 on the angels big board or he would have gone before Grichuck

-Lavigne43-
10-05-2012, 01:08 PM
@DCameronFG
Ouch. RT @Mariners: #Mariners VP of International Operations Bob Engle has informed the club that (he is leaving when) contract expires.

Red Sox? :pray:

Nomar
10-05-2012, 01:18 PM
@DCameronFG
Ouch. RT @Mariners: #Mariners VP of International Operations Bob Engle has informed the club that (he is leaving when) contract expires.

Red Sox? :pray:

Felix, Pineda, and the latest Erasmo Ramirez. This guy is good and could probably kill it in a major market.

-Lavigne43-
10-05-2012, 02:07 PM
There's also this, so I hope he is joining our Front Office.

@alexspeier
Lucchino on D&C: 'Myriad changes' for #redsox to follow the Valentine firing http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21232166/lucchino-dc-myriad-changes-sox … via @WEEI

With the new money restrictions I'm not sure he would have more of a impact. Maybe he would have more scouts under him?

Soxfan85
10-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Felix, Pineda, and the latest Erasmo Ramirez. This guy is good and could probably kill it in a major market.

Seattle MarinersVerified‏@Mariners

#Mariners VP of International Operations Bob Engle has informed the club tht when his contract expires on Oct. 31 he will not sign extension

Nomar
10-05-2012, 03:03 PM
There's also this, so I hope he is joining our Front Office.

@alexspeier
Lucchino on D&C: 'Myriad changes' for #redsox to follow the Valentine firing http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21232166/lucchino-dc-myriad-changes-sox … via @WEEI

With the new money restrictions I'm not sure he would have more of a impact. Maybe he would have more scouts under him?

I would think that it will come down to a question of where the IFA's want to play because several teams will offer the max. I think that Latin American players probably would chose to come to Boston over Seattle.

papipapsmanny
10-05-2012, 05:09 PM
im gonna say the same exact thing i did last year

I really don't care as long as it is not Bobby Valentine.....

AI
10-05-2012, 05:29 PM
There won't be any success here until Lucchino exits the command throne and let's the GM handle the decision making. Let Cherington choose his manager, let him build this team the way he likes.

xnick5757
10-05-2012, 05:36 PM
There won't be any success here until Lucchino exits the command throne and let's the GM handle the decision making. Let Cherington choose his manager, let him build this team the way he likes.

yep. but i don't see that happening. BC did very well with his limited resources this past offseason

Soxfan85
10-05-2012, 06:29 PM
By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

Here are a few off-the-grid candidates the Red Sox should consider for their next manager:

Tony Pena (Yankees bench coach): He's an excellent communicator, knows pitching, and knows the market, having played for the Sox. Former Royals manager.
Joe McEwing (White Sox third base coach): He'll be a manager eventually after success in the minors. Baseball insiders have been touting him for two years now.

Bill Mueller (Dodgers special assistant): The former Sox infielder will have a successful career in the front office or dugout. Shares a lot of the qualities the White Sox liked in Robin Ventura.

Trey Hillman (Dodgers bench coach): Things didn't go well when he managed the Royals, but Hillman is a sharp guy. Yankees GM Brian Cashman is a big fan of his.

Larry Bowa (MLB Network analyst): He's a tough guy and a smart guy. Media work may have smoothed his rough edges.

Chris Speier (Reds bench coach): Filled in ably when Dusty Baker had a mild stroke.

Chip Hale (Athletics bench coach): Former Mets coach joined the Athletics this season. Like McEwing, he is somebody who profiles to become a manager.

Jose Oquendo (Cardinals third base coach): He was up for the St. Louis job last fall but stayed on the staff when Mike Matheny was hired.

Ron Wotus (Giants bench coach): He gets overlooked but has been part of a lot of success at San Francisco under two managers. New England native, too (Hartford).

I'd go after Pena very hard if we cant JF

bagwell368
10-05-2012, 09:15 PM
By Peter Abraham, Globe Staff

Here are a few off-the-grid candidates the Red Sox should consider for their next manager:

Tony Pena (Yankees bench coach): He's an excellent communicator, knows pitching, and knows the market, having played for the Sox. Former Royals manager.
Joe McEwing (White Sox third base coach): He'll be a manager eventually after success in the minors. Baseball insiders have been touting him for two years now.

Bill Mueller (Dodgers special assistant): The former Sox infielder will have a successful career in the front office or dugout. Shares a lot of the qualities the White Sox liked in Robin Ventura.

Trey Hillman (Dodgers bench coach): Things didn't go well when he managed the Royals, but Hillman is a sharp guy. Yankees GM Brian Cashman is a big fan of his.

Larry Bowa (MLB Network analyst): He's a tough guy and a smart guy. Media work may have smoothed his rough edges.

Chris Speier (Reds bench coach): Filled in ably when Dusty Baker had a mild stroke.

Chip Hale (Athletics bench coach): Former Mets coach joined the Athletics this season. Like McEwing, he is somebody who profiles to become a manager.

Jose Oquendo (Cardinals third base coach): He was up for the St. Louis job last fall but stayed on the staff when Mike Matheny was hired.

Ron Wotus (Giants bench coach): He gets overlooked but has been part of a lot of success at San Francisco under two managers. New England native, too (Hartford).

I'd go after Pena very hard if we cant JF

I can't see Bowa or Speier. I don't know most of the rest of them but like Pena a lot (but he won't listen to/implement sabr stuff)

AI
10-05-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm a proud supporter of Alex Cora, think he'd make a hell of a manager.

Nomar
10-06-2012, 01:12 AM
Wotus is a solid candidate too IMO.

Soxfan85
10-06-2012, 04:48 PM
Not Redsox news but I wish Titto best of luck in the Indians!
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/terry-francona-cleveland-indians-manager-opening-100612

grandsalami
10-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Red Sox source insists team has not yet begun managerial search

j-bay
10-06-2012, 08:40 PM
Red Sox source insists team has not yet begun managerial search

CoughBull****Cough

bagwell368
10-06-2012, 08:45 PM
CoughBull****Cough

What's so difficult to believe? At the most they are in the brainstorming phase, and are not done with that yet.

j-bay
10-06-2012, 08:53 PM
What's so difficult to believe? At the most they are in the brainstorming phase, and are not done with that yet.

I mean its kind of is, just because they have lied to us before. They may be lying they may not. However i don't think they want to tell the press what they are doing yet.

bagwell368
10-06-2012, 09:57 PM
I mean its kind of is, just because they have lied to us before. They may be lying they may not. However i don't think they want to tell the press what they are doing yet.

If I was them, I wouldn't say a word until they had the presser to introduce the new Manager.

Nomar
10-07-2012, 02:19 AM
If I was them, I wouldn't say a word until they had the presser to introduce the new Manager.

x10

Why should we even have a clue about their decisions?

This is why i dont even want Farrell here anymore. Too overblown and overhyped. This isn't a knock on Farrell, it's just the way this situation has played out so far.

Justabitoutside
10-07-2012, 08:57 AM
I hope they give Manny Acta a chance to interview. I think he may do well in Boston.

GrkGawdofWalkz
10-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I hope they give Manny Acta a chance to interview. I think he may do well in Boston.

Based on what indication. Where is the justification in that stance. I truly am mystified. The guy may have a track baseball mind but between Washington and Cleveland what has he done.

JMP83
10-07-2012, 12:34 PM
To be fair, Francona hadn't really done anything before coming here either. Acta's got a reputation for being very forward thinking and new stat friendly.

Nomar
10-07-2012, 01:49 PM
Act was given very little to work with too. There were times when he had the Indians overperforming too. He is a good manager IMO, but i still think a change in culture was necessary in Cleveland.

-Lavigne43-
10-07-2012, 03:56 PM
I think Acta has somewhat of a bad reputation among players. On the "Manager you would least want to play for" poll by SI he was 3rd behind BobbyV and Ozzie. I know he's a jerk, but Perez was happy when Acta was fired too.

Last year they used the media as part of the interview process. I don't think that really affected anything though. You would have to be a terrible candidate to screw up that portion

Nomar
10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I think Acta has somewhat of a bad reputation among players. On the "Manager you would least want to play for" poll by SI he was 3rd behind BobbyV and Ozzie. I know he's a jerk, but Perez was happy when Acta was fired too.

Not that you're suggesting this, but I dont think its a smart idea to hire a guy that just got fired from Cleveland anyway. Nonetheless, i dont think Acta is a bad manager. Cleveland players didnt have much to be happy about to begin wit so im sure a strict manager wasnt their favorite thing in the world.

Justabitoutside
10-07-2012, 05:53 PM
I am not sure who would be the guy for the job. In my post, I just mentioned that I hope he gets a chance to interview. I like Ferrell, but am not so sure we will pay the price Toronto is asking for.

taffi101
10-08-2012, 09:21 PM
x10

Why should we even have a clue about their decisions?

This is why i dont even want Farrell here anymore. Too overblown and overhyped. This isn't a knock on Farrell, it's just the way this situation has played out so far.

I think you're right.

I'm not advocating for or against Farrell, as I really don't care one way or the other. I do however, think he can handle the players and the Boston press, which is huge in this market. Also, he is a big saber guy, and has a history with the players, FO, city etc., which would on the surface, make him seem to be a very viable candidate.

He still needs a team to manage, so ir-regardless of his qualifications, unless the product on the field improves, he could be in for a rough first season, if he does in fact end up as skipper.

Fans could be in for a let down if they think he will be the deciding chip in returning them to glory....he will help, but there has to be a lot fall into place for them to seriously contend next season.

Setting up for contention in 2014 and beyond seems more likely.........

grandsalami
10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
The Red Sox will start their search for a new manager in earnest in the next few days, ESPN.com’s Buster Olney writes. Boston will start by asking the Blue Jays for permission to speak with John Farrell, Olney reports. Ausmus could be a candidate in Boston, too.

MLBTR

grandsalami
10-09-2012, 06:10 PM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
#RedSox GM Ben Cherington offered "no comment" when asked if he had requested permission to interview any candidates from other teams.

bagwell368
10-10-2012, 10:06 AM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
#RedSox GM Ben Cherington offered "no comment" when asked if he had requested permission to interview any candidates from other teams.

Good, time to emulate the Patriots. When we have the announcement we'll let you know. This open musing by Henry and other with LL leaking to Shank has to stop. Now would be a good time.

-Lavigne43-
10-10-2012, 01:58 PM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo
Red Sox to start interviewing managerial candidates Friday per source. No names yet

Nomar
10-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I like Jim Tracy. Idk if he would even want to jump into a new job or if BC has interest in him though.

-Lavigne43-
10-10-2012, 05:15 PM
Jim Tracy is a terrible manager. You could write a book just with Keith Law's tweets on his incompetence. From ridiculous lineups to ridiculous sac bunts and IBB's. The four man rotation to save the bullpen was the best.

The Red Sox have contacted Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach to gauge his interest in their managerial vacancy. Wallach is interested, and is expected to be one of the candidates interviewed in the coming days.

The Red Sox will begin interviewing candidates later this week, with the process expected to go at least into next week.

The Red Sox are still targeting current Blue Jays manager John Farrell for the job but because extracting him from the final year of his contract with Toronto could involve compensation talks that would take too long or wind up being too costly, the team are not waiting for that to wrap up before making contingency plans.

Also believed to be on the Red Sox’ wish list of candidates is ex-big league catcher Brad Ausmus.

A year ago, the Red Sox attempted to interview Wallach for the managerial vacancy but their timing and language in his contract prevented that from getting anywhere.

Wallach’s current contract with the Dodgers is expiring, and there are no impediments this time.

“Certainly I’m interested,’’ said Wallach this afternoon. “This is what I’ve wanted to do and what I’ve been preparing to do for some time.’’

Wallach, 55, managed the Dodgers’ Triple-A Albuquerque Isotopes for two seasons in 2009 and 2010. He also served as the Dodgers’ hitting coach in 2004 and 2005.

Wallach played 17 seasons in the big leagues, 13 of them with the Expos.

Aside from a short stint this summer with the WBC Team Israel baseball team, Ausmus, 43, has not had managerial experience but the long-time catcher was long ago pegged as managerial material.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/10/10/red-sox-eye-tim-wallach-for-managers-job/

poprocksncoke
10-10-2012, 05:27 PM
Jim Tracy is a terrible manager. You could write a book just with Keith Law's tweets on his incompetence. From ridiculous lineups to ridiculous sac bunts and IBB's. The four man rotation to save the bullpen was the best.

This ^^^

grandsalami
10-10-2012, 07:37 PM
RT @dylanohernandez: Source: #Dodgers have granted 3B coach Tim Wallach permission to interview for #RedSox managerial position.

papipapsmanny
10-10-2012, 08:50 PM
that be funny if this was part of the mega deal?

yeah were gonna fire that *** clown bobby so the last thing i want in the deal is you all just don't try and stop us from getting ur guy wallach

-Lavigne43-
10-10-2012, 09:02 PM
It would be unheard of if they blocked a 3b coach from interviewing for a managerial job.

Nomar
10-10-2012, 09:03 PM
Let alone a 3B coach of one month.

GrkGawdofWalkz
10-10-2012, 09:24 PM
Wallach is an interesting guy. He had a pretty good MLB career. I like that these are names that we haven't heard before. At least with Wallach at this point.

Celtic AL
10-10-2012, 09:39 PM
i would like Tim Wallach. he knows alot about De la rosa & Sands. 1 guy i'm keeping my eye out is Chili Davis of the Oakland A's.

avrpatsfan
10-10-2012, 10:42 PM
Wallach is a good candidate. He's considered good with players and is a player manager. Sign me up.

bagwell368
10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Wallach is a good candidate. He's considered good with players and is a player manager. Sign me up.

Never take the first thing that shows...

But yeah, he's a solid candidate and one of my top 10.

grandsalami
10-11-2012, 10:29 AM
Brad Ausmus interviewing with Red Sox for manager job early next week according to major league source

Nomar
10-11-2012, 10:43 AM
As a former catcher Ausmus would probably be good with a pitching staff. Hes 43 so hed probably be more of a players' manager. And he lived 20 minutes away from my house which is a tiny bonus.

Hes in my top 10 list of candidates

bagwell368
10-11-2012, 11:09 AM
As a former catcher Ausmus would probably be good with a pitching staff. Hes 43 so hed probably be more of a players' manager. And he lived 20 minutes away from my house which is a tiny bonus.

Hes in my top 10 list of candidates

He's supposed to be a throwback hard arse.

I'm sick of these terms (not directed at you) - tough manager and players manager.

We don't need a guy to follow a script no matter what. We need appropriate action at the right time.. Given the money at stake these candidate types should be going to seminars and classes to sharpen up that side. As far as the baseball side, they ought to have that under control already.

Nomar
10-11-2012, 12:36 PM
He's supposed to be a throwback hard arse.

What i said was just an assumption anyway

I'm sick of these terms (not directed at you) - tough manager and players manager.

Theyre broad as hell so thats understandable

We don't need a guy to follow a script no matter what. We need appropriate action at the right time.. Given the money at stake these candidate types should be going to seminars and classes to sharpen up that side. As far as the baseball side, they ought to have that under control already.

Yeah agreed. I don't want a manager who gets on our players' bad side right away like Bobby V, but like you said, knowing the "appropriate action at the right time" probably would involve building a strong relationship with the players. No matter how hard/soft a manager is, the key for me in the chemistry side is a mutual respect. This year we saw Bobby V show little respect for anyone but himself, whether it was players or even our pitching coach. That obviously is going to have to change.

MoVaughnsLunch
10-11-2012, 01:39 PM
I would love ausmus

grandsalami
10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
The Boston Red Sox will begin their managerial interview process on Friday by talking to Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach, according to a league source.

Next in line will be San Diego Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus, who will interview next week, the source said. The longtime catcher interviewed for the Houston Astros' managerial vacancy but later withdrew from the process.

The Red Sox, according to a team source, are looking for someone with big-league managerial, coaching or playing experience, which is why Triple-A manager Arnie Beyeler will not be considered for the position. Beyeler, who just led Pawtucket to the International League championship but has no major league experience, will be retained by the Sox, the source said.

Blue Jays manager John Farrell is still "at the top of the list" of candidates, a team source said, but the former Red Sox pitching coach has not heard whether the Red Sox have approached the Blue Jays about speaking with him, according to a league source said.

The 43-year-old Ausmus was a catcher in the majors for 18 seasons and has been a special assistant to the Padres since 2010.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/red-sox/post/_/id/23307/source-wallach-first-then-ausmus

grandsalami
10-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Pete Abraham ‏@PeteAbe
#RedSox will not be making their mgr. candidates available to the media this time around.

-Lavigne43-
10-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Good. I understand the idea of having them interview with the media to see how they handle it, but I don't see how any legit candidate could screw that up. If anything it was a negative with the media influencing the perception of the candidates.

I like Ausmus. He's a very smart guy. He'd use all the data available to him to get an edge. This I like a lot -

Catchers aren't just responsible for blocking the plate. They also tell a pitcher what type of pitch to throw, typically through hand signals dropped between the thighs. Ausmus says he went through a mental checklist in his head before each and every play.

"[I'm thinking] what's the score, what inning are we in, how many outs, what's this hitter's weakness, what's this pitcher's strengths, who's on deck, who could pinch hit, who is up after the hitter on deck — and you kind of go through all of these things in an instant," says Ausmus. "And then you make a decision and put down the next signal. [You're also thinking] how did we get this guy out last time, what pitches did he see, what pitches did we just throw — so there's about 10 to a dozen things that you go through in your mind before you put that signal down."

The decisions about what pitches to call start taking place well before game time. Ausmus says he prepared graphs for his pitchers before every single series. The graphs contained information about the strengths and weaknesses of every player on the opposing team.

"We would go through this stack with their stats: how often do they walk, how often do they strike out — and this all gets condensed down into a chart," he says. "You use that as your cheat sheet before the game before you're going over the lineup with the pitcher that day."

During the game, Ausmus would occasionally trot to the pitcher's mound when things weren't going particularly well. He says he would structure his speech based on who was pitching and what was happening on the field.

"When I left the pitchers' mound, I wanted them to feel like they could get out of [that] particular situation," he says. "I wanted that pitcher, even if he was in the worst situation possible, ... I wanted [him] to feel like, 'Hey, I have a chance to get out of this.' So my general rule was to be positive."

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/18/139649031/covering-the-plate-a-baseball-catcher-tells-all

I've heard nothing of him being a hard ***. I forgot where I read it, but I read somewhere that he was more of a calm, relaxed type. Not someone who is going to blow up at players.

Wallach sounds like a good candidate too.

Soxfan85
10-11-2012, 06:59 PM
Good. I understand the idea of having them interview with the media to see how they handle it, but I don't see how any legit candidate could screw that up. If anything it was a negative with the media influencing the perception of the candidates.

I like Ausmus. He's a very smart guy. He'd use all the data available to him to get an edge. This I like a lot -

http://www.npr.org/2011/08/18/139649031/covering-the-plate-a-baseball-catcher-tells-all

I've heard nothing of him being a hard ***. I forgot where I read it, but I read somewhere that he was more of a calm, relaxed type. Not someone who is going to blow up at players.

After reading that wow! This is the type of manager we need. Fingers crossed he gets the nod. I know sources said they want Manager exp

Soxfan85
10-12-2012, 10:20 AM
[/Quote]

Source: Boston Globe
The Red Sox will interview Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus next Tuesday or Wednesday for their managerial vacancy.
Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach will get the first interview on Friday. Ausmus has no managerial experience, but he's gained respect wherever he's been and has long been considered a future manager. But, as Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe notes, "what is not known is whether Wallach and Ausmus are fallback candidates, being interviewed just in case the Sox and Jays can’t settle on compensation for (current Blue Jays manager John) Farrell." The former Red Sox pitching coach is likely the favorite if Boston and Toronto can work something out.

Soxfan85
10-12-2012, 10:25 AM
http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/11/wallach-and-ausmus-deck/hWwsVgPS1vE1LCqzzsFm5I/story.html

There were whispers last weekend about Joe Torre getting the itch to manage again. Tony La Russa has indicated he wouldn’t mind a front office job but didn’t think he’d return to the dugout. But who knows?

Under major league rules, the Red Sox must include at least one minority candidate. Tampa Bay coach Dave Martinez, Baltimore coach DeMarlo Hale, Miami coach Joey Cora, Yankees coach Tony Pena, and former Sox player Don Baylor, who managed in Colorado and Chicago, could be considered.

Nomar
10-12-2012, 10:28 AM
I bet Hale or Martinez gets a chance.

Celtic AL
10-12-2012, 10:55 AM
Tony Pena would be cool Lol

Nomar
10-12-2012, 11:03 AM
Tony Pena would be cool Lol

I like him. He's too old school though. It seems like he'd clash with other moves theyve made like adding Bill James into the mix. I think the Red Sox would prefer to have a manager that is at least semi SABR friendly.

bagwell368
10-12-2012, 11:07 AM
http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/11/wallach-and-ausmus-deck/hWwsVgPS1vE1LCqzzsFm5I/story.html

There were whispers last weekend about Joe Torre getting the itch to manage again. Tony La Russa has indicated he wouldn’t mind a front office job but didn’t think he’d return to the dugout. But who knows?

Under major league rules, the Red Sox must include at least one minority candidate. Tampa Bay coach Dave Martinez, Baltimore coach DeMarlo Hale, Miami coach Joey Cora, Yankees coach Tony Pena, and former Sox player Don Baylor, who managed in Colorado and Chicago, could be considered.

I heard the interview with Larussa on the topic of managing. He sure sounded like someone that was done.

Speaking of Baylor, he's be a terrible choice here. Also, Hale might be a good choice at an other time, but not now. Too chummy with the old guard.

I think the others should be brought in to make a case.

BackyardRounder
10-12-2012, 11:46 AM
I would prefer a former catcher to a former pitcher. Farrell earned a lot of respect from the Red Sox pitching staff, but I'm not sure how much he could help the position players and there appears to be a rift between him and the position players on the Blue Jays. I don't want a manager who respected veterans such as Vizquel are calling out in the media for lacking fundamentals.

The team's performance can't all be blamed on the manager, but under Farrell the team's ERA has gone from 4.22 to 4.32 to 4.64 and the team's OPS has gone from .766 to .730 to .716. And as a team they've never had higher than a -12 UZR.

Plus there's the issue of compensation. We should not be giving up anything for a flawed candidate like Farrell.

TragicallyHip
10-12-2012, 11:50 AM

That's something that all catchers do at the ML level I would assume, so it's not unique to Ausmus. With that said, all things considered, I'd prefer Ausmus to any of the other candidates announced to this point.

As qualified as Wallach and others may be, I believe they need a young guy with the drive and motivation to make a good name for themselves. Let's face it, this job is going to take some serious energy over the next two to three years, at least.

SirHizz
10-12-2012, 12:13 PM
Is it just me or does it look like that the main focus is shifting away from Farrell? Maybe it's just posturing to put pressure on Toronto, but I guess there is no way we are giving up huge value for JF.

Wallach and Ausmus are decent candidates, the latter is probably even more intriguing. I just want this to get done ASAP.

Nomar
10-12-2012, 12:16 PM
I feel the same way ^. I hope they realize the price is probably too high.

I really like Ausmus too the more I read about him.

bruins>habs
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
i would rather go Ausmus than Farrell. Start fresh with someone new

wolf82
10-12-2012, 02:19 PM
i would rather go Ausmus than Farrell. Start fresh with someone new

+1 Hopefully Lucchino lets BC do his job.

AI
10-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Torre with an itch to manage again? Get it done. If not, I still want Alex Cora.

Nomar
10-12-2012, 04:03 PM
Torre with an itch to manage again? Get it done. If not, I still want Alex Cora.

Theres no word on Alex Cora at all (yet). I do think he'd be a good choice though.

AI
10-12-2012, 04:05 PM
Whoever eventually gets Cora is getting a hell of a manager. The guy knows baseball.

Nomar
10-12-2012, 04:09 PM
It may be too soon for him. For example i know hes good friends with Pedroia.

j-bay
10-12-2012, 11:37 PM
The Boston Red Sox began their search for a new manager Friday by interviewing Los Angeles Dodgers third-base coach Tim Wallach for nearly 12 hours.

"I hate to get too far ahead of myself but I thought it went really well," Wallach told ESPNLosAngeles.com's Ramona Shelburne on Friday. "It was a very informative day. It was a well-done interview process.

"I think it's a great opportunity. I know I said this before, but it really is one of the best organizations in baseball. I'm thrilled to get the opportunity to interview."

Next in line for the Red Sox will be San Diego Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus, who will interview next week, a source told ESPNBoston.com's Gordon Edes. The longtime catcher interviewed for the Houston Astros' managerial vacancy last month but later withdrew from the process.

The Red Sox, according to a team source, are looking for someone with big-league managerial, coaching or playing experience, which is why Triple-A manager Arnie Beyeler will not be considered for the position. Beyeler, who just led Pawtucket to the International League championship, but has no major-league experience, will be retained by the Sox, the source said.

Blue Jays manager John Farrell is still "at the top of the list" of candidates, a team source said, but the former Red Sox pitching coach has not heard whether Boston has approached the Blue Jays about speaking with him, according to a league source.

Asked about the Red Sox job Friday during an interview on MLB Network Radio, Farrell said, "I'm the manager of the Toronto Blue Jays. That's where I've been the last two years. That's where I currently am. This speculation started to rear its head again, oh, probably the final two months of the season.

"I can tell you this -- in my conversations with (general manager) Alex (Anthopoulos), it hasn't distracted me from my job and what the commitment there is. I'm extremely challenged (and) happy as manager of the Blue Jays."

The Red Sox made overtures to the Blue Jays about Farrell last year after Terry Francona was ousted. But the Blue Jays denied them permission and ultimately changed their internal rules for taking a job with another team, saying they would allow movement only in the event of a promotion.

Blue Jays first-base coach Torey Lovullo, another potential candidate for the job left vacant when Bobby Valentine was fired last week, has not heard from the Red Sox, according to a league source. Nor has Chicago White Sox third-base coach Joe McEwing, who talked with the Sox about the vacancy last offseason.

Wallach, 55, is a former five-time All-Star third baseman who managed the Dodgers' Triple-A team in Albuquerque for two seasons in between stints as Los Angeles' hitting coach and third-base coach.

"Tim Wallach is one of the classiest guys I've been fortunate to work with during my career," Dodgers bench coach Trey Hillman said. "He has a nose for the game. He never panics and he's always prepared. What a privilege to get to coach alongside him."

Wallach guided Albuquerque to a franchise-record 80 wins in 2009, and was named the Pacific Coast League's manager of the year.

The 43-year-old Ausmus was a catcher in the majors for 18 seasons and has been a special assistant to the Padres since 2010.

The Red Sox fired manager Valentine on Oct. 4, one day after completing a disappointing 69-93 season.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8496931/boston-red-sox-interview-tim-wallach-brad-ausmus-next

MiamiBoy77
10-13-2012, 12:54 AM
Dodger fans don't seem to care if he stays or goes, so I don't want him. I want a guy who the other team will be devastated to lose

-Lavigne43-
10-13-2012, 01:03 AM
There is not a single viable candidate that qualifies as that. Maddon, Showalter, and Melvin are the only people that would exude that kind of reaction right now.

j-bay
10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Here is what i'm thinking. They are interviewing their 2nd and 3rd choices that way so if they can't get Farrell, they can make the choice right away.

homie564
10-13-2012, 03:20 PM
I really like both Wallach and Ausmus as options. Wallach>Sandberg tbh and a lot of people were on Sandberg's dick lol.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-13-2012, 03:30 PM
I honestly have a hunch that Wallach's going to be the next manager.

j-bay
10-13-2012, 03:53 PM
I honestly have a hunch that Wallach's going to be the next manager.

with them interviewing him for 12 hours i think so.

Soxfan85
10-13-2012, 04:16 PM
with them interviewing him for 12 hours i think so.

Same thing with Pete Mackanin 9 hrs and he didnt get the job

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2011/11/01/pete_mackanin_meets_with_red_sox_presents_his_case/

-Lavigne43-
10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
12 hours isn't unusual. These interviews are extensive and take all day. A lot of that time is probably the video work they do for in game decisions.

AI
10-14-2012, 03:35 PM
Talk is strong that Joe Torre would consider managing again and the 72-year-old has always had an affinity for Boston.

Cafardo

j-bay
10-14-2012, 03:46 PM
Cafardo

:jumpy::pray:
SIGN HIM UP!

Soxfan85
10-14-2012, 04:59 PM
:jumpy::pray:
Sign him up!

Update: Torre shot down the rumors, saying he doesn't know where they came from, according to CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman :sigh:

j-bay
10-14-2012, 05:02 PM
DANG IT!

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe wrote in his Sunday notes column that “talk is strong” around the baseball world that Joe Torre might want to manage again. But it seems really doubtful to happen.

According to CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman, the 72-year-old Torre said Sunday afternoon that he is enjoying his current gig in the commissioner’s office and has no desire to return to the dugout. ”I don’t know where that came from,” said Torre. “Certainly not my camp.”

So we can put that rumor to rest before it gains any sort of steam.

Torre had a 2326-1997 career record in stints with the Mets, Braves, Cardinals, Yankees and Dodgers.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/14/joe-torre-72-has-no-plans-to-return-to-managing/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Soxfan85
10-14-2012, 05:05 PM
your going to see alot of these rumors. Take them with a grain of salt

j-bay
10-14-2012, 05:30 PM
Lamont still interested in Red Sox managing job

NEW YORK -- Gene Lamont was the "other'' finalist last offseason when the Red Sox went looking for a manager. The Sox, of course, ended up choosing Bobby Valentine.

With Valentine fired earlier this month, the Sox are hunting for another manager.

Would the Detroit Tigers third-base coach be interested should the Red Sox come calling a second time?

"Sure," said Lamont when asked before the start of Game 2 of the American League Championship Series on Sunday. "I'd like to manage again.''

Lamont said he has yet to hear from the Red Sox, who have interviewed Tim Wallach already and plan to meet with Brad Ausmus this week.

An industry source said the Red Sox have brought up Lamont's name in internal discussions but, for now, have not decided to interview him.

Lamont, who managed both Chicago (from 1992 through '95, with a record of 258-210 including an A.L. Central Division championship in '93) and Pittsburgh (from 1997 through 2000, with a record of 295-352), was waiting to hear who would be hired last December when media reports circulated that Valentine would be the team's choice.

But Lamont said there were no hard feelings over not being told of the decision first-hand, noting that a Red Sox official later explained the situation.

"If they call [again], that would be great,'' said Lamont. "If not, I like the job I have.''

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Lamont-still-interested-in-Red-Sox-manag?blockID=788699&feedID=3352

SirHizz
10-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Lamont would be decent, but not my preferred choice, not at all. And I think the Sox are going in a different direction. Remember, looks like Larry initiated the circle of managerial candidates and now it's Bens turn.

Oh and the Torre-rumor: I wouldn't like him at all. He's been a great manager, no doubt about it, but our club is trying to write a new chaper, we need a fresh start. I want a manager with enthusiasm, someone who is able and willing to go with this new group thru ups and downs.
Please, not another 2 year stop gap and especially not a name like Torre who's promising more than he can keep.
That's why I liked Terry's committment to Cleveland. His 4 year deal is showing the Fans that the FO is thinking long-term, they know that even Francona won't put them to the promised land within 1-2 years.

I am anxious to hear from the Ausmus-interview. I have a feeling he could be a great choice, a "young" local kid who's already getting lots of praise.

Soxfan85
10-14-2012, 06:07 PM
Lamont would be decent, but not my preferred choice, not at all. And I think the Sox are going in a different direction. Remember, looks like Larry initiated the circle of managerial candidates and now it's Bens turn.

Oh and the Torre-rumor: I wouldn't like him at all. He's been a great manager, no doubt about it, but our club is trying to write a new chaper, we need a fresh start. I want a manager with enthusiasm, someone who is able and willing to go with this new group thru ups and downs.
Please, not another 2 year stop gap and especially not a name like Torre who's promising more than he can keep.
That's why I liked Terry's committment to Cleveland. His 4 year deal is showing the Fans that the FO is thinking long-term, they know that even Francona won't put them to the promised land within 1-2 years.

I am anxious to hear from the Ausmus-interview. I have a feeling he could be a great choice, a "young" local kid who's already getting lots of praise.

Whats wrong with Torre? He never took crap from any players and got them to 4 WS. Tell me whats wrong with that? Thats A+ in my book

Nomar
10-14-2012, 06:11 PM
I want someone who is glad to have the opportunity to coach instead of an overly entitled manager like Bobby V.

Joe Torre is great but he isnt a long term solution IMO. Hell retire again after a few years.

SirHizz
10-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Whats wrong with Torre? He never took crap from any players and got them to 4 WS. Tell me whats wrong with that? Thats A+ in my book

I pretty much told what's wrong with that. I am not doubting Torre's managing quality, it's second to none, but he's not the right solution in our current situation. That's my opinion.

Celtic AL
10-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Torre would be great but like Nomar said i rather have a guy who we can hire now! intead or trading players or signing big name Managers who probably wont work out as we seen with Bobby. i'm fine Wallach, Ausmus, Martinez or Cora

grandsalami
10-15-2012, 09:33 AM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo
According to a source, the Red Sox will interview Tony Pena today and DeMarlo Hale at some point this week

poprocksncoke
10-15-2012, 01:17 PM

I for one dont want Torre. I dont know if it was just that he lost his desire or if it was managing in the NL but with the Dodgers he was awful.

grandsalami
10-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Pena received permission from Yankees to interview on offday. Could have waited until end of playoffs but Red Sox seem to be in hurryup.

grandsalami
10-15-2012, 01:48 PM
so they want this done soon... good.

Nomar
10-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Agreed lets get it done

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Wallach's getting another interview on Friday.

poprocksncoke
10-15-2012, 04:09 PM
Wallach's getting another interview on Friday.

Where did you hear this? I havent seen it but heard he was impressive.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-15-2012, 04:17 PM
Where did you hear this? I havent seen it but heard he was impressive.

Whoops never mind. Read a tweet wrong lol.

AI
10-15-2012, 04:20 PM
Wallach, Ausmus, Pena, Hale. Anybody else?

Soxfan85
10-15-2012, 04:27 PM
I think it will come down to Wallach & Pena. Both have manager exp which they are looking for and Brad doesn't have that but I like him but don't see him being a manager right now. If I had to pick I'd pick Pena. Because I know he won't take crap from players because he was with the Yankees since 2009 and they are a tough organization. I think he light some fire under the as*es of Lester, Buc, and Lackey

AI
10-15-2012, 04:43 PM
I like Wallach and Ausmus more than Peña, but I'd be OK with it if he got the job.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-15-2012, 04:59 PM
What I can see happening is they finish the set of interviews this week and if they still feel like they want Ferrell they call the Jays and ask about Ferrell.

Nomar
10-15-2012, 05:12 PM
What I can see happening is they finish the set of interviews this week and if they still feel like they want Ferrell they call the Jays and ask about Ferrell.

Makes sense to me. I hope they do like one of these guys enough. My favorite out of the interviewed candidates so far is Ausmus.

-Lavigne43-
10-15-2012, 05:27 PM
Ausmus hasn't interviewed yet.

Nomar
10-15-2012, 05:43 PM
Ausmus hasn't interviewed yet.

Niether has Hale. I meant of those candidates who are getting an interview

-Lavigne43-
10-15-2012, 05:52 PM
Interviewed candidates so far implies already interviewed :).

Anyways the schedule we know is Ausmus on Wednesday and Hale on Thursday.

Celtic AL
10-15-2012, 06:18 PM
Tony Pena reminds me of yoda lol

SirHizz
10-15-2012, 06:35 PM
That's what I imagine: we'll interview all our guys (Wallach, Ausmus, Pena) and then, as soon as the process is finished, we are going to call the Jays and ask them once (!) if Farrell is free to go.

Maybe I am wrong and the Jays have already declined.

Soxfan85
10-15-2012, 06:59 PM
That's what I imagine: we'll interview all our guys (Wallach, Ausmus, Pena) and then, as soon as the process is finished, we are going to call the Jays and ask them once (!) if Farrell is free to go.

Maybe I am wrong and the Jays have already declined.

I agree. This is my humor prob dumb i know :D

Larry: Hello Paul?

Paul: What!

Larry: Is John Farrell Available?

Paul: He can be for #1 prospect or Buchholz

Larry: Dial tone

j-bay
10-16-2012, 04:39 PM
Boston Red Sox‏@RedSox

Brad Ausmus will interview for the #RedSox managerial opening tomorrow & DeMarlo Hale will interview on Thursday.

Soxfan85
10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
Boston Red Sox‏@RedSox

Brad Ausmus will interview for the #RedSox managerial opening tomorrow & DeMarlo Hale will interview on Thursday.

via Pete Abraham Tony Pena on Monday. So maybe Tuesday if there’s no other candidates they may make a decision that’s my opinion.

Bo Sox Fan
10-16-2012, 05:23 PM
Is it tampering if we interviewed Joe Torre before the end of the playoffs?

-Lavigne43-
10-16-2012, 06:08 PM
via Pete Abraham Tony Pena on Monday. So maybe Tuesday if there’s no other candidates they may make a decision that’s my opinion.

Pena interviewed yesterday. They'll also have 2nd interviews with ownership. Lucchino has also not been in on the first interviews this year. I think this will be done before the playoffs end, it doesn't look like they will wait on Farrell.

Is it tampering if we interviewed Joe Torre before the end of the playoffs?

Why would it be tampering? He works for MLB. It would make no sense for both sides for him to be the manager though.

Celtic AL
10-16-2012, 06:13 PM
1% torre manages the sox. 99% No Chance in hell.

AI
10-16-2012, 06:29 PM
I like what we're doing. Farrell's not available? Cool, there are other choices to pick from.

If it's Wallach or Ausmus, I'm happy. Would be ecstatic if it's Cora but it doesn't appear he's being considered.

-Lavigne43-
10-16-2012, 06:38 PM
I'd much rather have Wallach or Ausmus than Farrell to be honest. Ausmus is the only hire that would excite me.

Melo15
10-16-2012, 06:50 PM
I'm just excited that we don't have to deal with Bobby anymore. After having him around for a year all these candidates excite me.

ben_watson_84
10-16-2012, 07:25 PM
any word on Dave Martinez? Or are they not interviewing him... Ideally I'd like Ausmus or Martinez but Pena or Lamont are good with me as well.

bagwell368
10-16-2012, 08:30 PM
I can't figure out why anyone would want Lamont....

bruins>habs
10-16-2012, 10:36 PM
I can't figure out why anyone would want Lamont....

this.

My preference would Be Ausmus. I would love Dave Martinez though, i don't think he's a candidate though

BostonSports96
10-16-2012, 10:39 PM
Ausmus/Pena are my favs so far.

No Dave Martinez interview Ben?

AI
10-16-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm just excited that we don't have to deal with Bobby anymore. After having him around for a year all these candidates excite me.

How much does it excite you? ;)

Celts22
10-17-2012, 01:16 AM
I'm still holding out hope that Martinez and Mike Maddux join the list of potential candidates...

Celtic AL
10-17-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm surprised Martinez hasn't been hired yet by the clubs that he has interviewed for. I wonder what's the reason?

TragicallyHip
10-17-2012, 08:38 AM
Ausmus is up today, I'm anxious to find out how he does.

TragicallyHip
10-17-2012, 08:42 AM
I'd much rather have Wallach or Ausmus than Farrell to be honest. Ausmus is the only hire that would excite me.

any word on Dave Martinez? Or are they not interviewing him... Ideally I'd like Ausmus or Martinez but Pena or Lamont are good with me as well.

this.

My preference would Be Ausmus. I would love Dave Martinez though, i don't think he's a candidate though

Ausmus/Pena are my favs so far.

No Dave Martinez interview Ben?

This. A lot of Sox fans that I've talked to are hoping Ausmus gets the job, so naturally, the Sox will hire someone else.

Soxfan85
10-17-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/10/pena_shows_a_pa.html

The process, according to those who have been through it, can be grueling. Candidates are asked dozens of questions and are tested via video simulations to determine how sound their strategy would be.

But Pena found the experience enjoyable.

'It was a very, very quick six hours," he said on Tuesday. "Because when you're talking about something you love to do, the thing that you have passion for, then you can talk the whole day. You can talk 24 hours. You can talk the whole year about baseball. That wouldn't bother me at all."

bagwell368
10-17-2012, 10:51 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2012/10/pena_shows_a_pa.html

The process, according to those who have been through it, can be grueling. Candidates are asked dozens of questions and are tested via video simulations to determine how sound their strategy would be.

But Pena found the experience enjoyable.

'It was a very, very quick six hours," he said on Tuesday. "Because when you're talking about something you love to do, the thing that you have passion for, then you can talk the whole day. You can talk 24 hours. You can talk the whole year about baseball. That wouldn't bother me at all."

Pena is ideal - the only question is how much they want him to manage along the SABR lines of James vs the lower odds of scratching out runs. Tough to run a lot with mostly plow horses.

Bo Sox Fan
10-17-2012, 01:00 PM
#1 Brad Ausmus
#2 Brad Ausmus
#3 Brad Ausmus

Nomar
10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Brad awesome us

Towelie
10-17-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't care who they get. Whoever they go with I'll be happy. Nobody knows whats said in a 6-12 hour interview.

-Lavigne43-
10-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Son of a ***** http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/16/brad-ausmus-looking-like-best-choice-what-solid-list-red-sox-managerial-candidates/XJawzP2O4OPFLdr4GNQK4I/story.html

grandsalami
10-17-2012, 08:34 PM
Son of a ***** http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/16/brad-ausmus-looking-like-best-choice-what-solid-list-red-sox-managerial-candidates/XJawzP2O4OPFLdr4GNQK4I/story.html

Deja vú?

Soxfan85
10-17-2012, 08:53 PM

why son of? Isnt that good news? :shrug:

Nomar
10-17-2012, 09:04 PM
why son of? Isnt that good news? :shrug:

cafardos always wrong

-Lavigne43-
10-17-2012, 09:11 PM
If Cafardo likes him it means he will be a horrible choice :)

‏@nickcafardo
Brad Ausmus didn't want to get into specifics of his Red Sox interview. He has spent most of the day with Sox management.

Got to like that Ausmus declined to talk to the media. Wallach and Pena talked a bit. I bet Cafardo was miffed after his article today.

Celtic AL
10-17-2012, 09:24 PM
meh carfardo is alright atlest its not jim bowen tweeting and saying Ausmus is the favorite. Jim Bowden is always wrong lol

Nomar
10-17-2012, 09:28 PM
meh carfardo is alright atlest its not jim bowen tweeting and saying Ausmus is the favorite. Jim Bowden is always wrong lol

lol yeah hes a joke

TragicallyHip
10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
If Cafardo likes him it means he will be a horrible choice :)

‏@nickcafardo
Brad Ausmus didn't want to get into specifics of his Red Sox interview. He has spent most of the day with Sox management.

Got to like that Ausmus declined to talk to the media. Wallach and Pena talked a bit. I bet Cafardo was miffed after his article today.

This is EXACTLY what the Red Sox need right now. I've really got my fingers crossed that they choose Ausmus now. After reading this, I'm going to be disappointed if it's anybody else.

j-bay
10-17-2012, 09:57 PM
lol yeah hes a joke

speaking of bowden

JIM BOWDEN‏@JimBowdenESPNxm

Red Sox after tomorrow will have interviewed Ausmus. Pena, Wallach and Hale while still talking w Toronto re Farrell hire probably from Grp

-Lavigne43-
10-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Lamont still talking :laugh2: http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/10/17/gene-lamont-positive-it-wouldnt-have-been-as-chaotic-if-hed-gotten-red-sox-job/

j-bay
10-17-2012, 10:12 PM
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have engaged in compensation talks for Blue Jays manager John Farrell.
Farrell, as Cafardo notes, is the guy that the Red Sox are "most comfortable with" to hire as their next manager, but he's under contract with the Jays next season. It remains to be seen what Toronto's demands will be and whether Boston will be willing to give in to them. Orioles third base coach DeMarlo Hale will interview for the job Thursday, and the Sox currently have no one scheduled after that. Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Padres executive Brad Ausmus and Yankees bench coach Tony Pena have already been interviewed

SirHizz
10-17-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't know, but at this point, I'd be disappointed if the job goes to Farrell. I think we've already interviewed some fitting candidates. Right now, my list is looking as follows: 1. Ausmus ; 2. Wallach 3. Farrell/Pena ; 4. Hale

And even if it's gotta be Farrell, we better not give up anything worthwhile with all those candidates standing in the line.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
10-17-2012, 10:34 PM
So everyone's favorite is Ausmus I can see. I'd be fine with either him or Wallach.

Lamont still talking :laugh2: http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/index.php/2012/10/17/gene-lamont-positive-it-wouldnt-have-been-as-chaotic-if-hed-gotten-red-sox-job/

lol, didn't like him last year and dislike him even more now.

AI
10-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't want Farrell anymore, I really like Ausmus and Wallach.

TragicallyHip
10-18-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/17/red-sox-interview-brad-ausmus-for-manager-job/DnExoUq1mlAoNK7xJP0wKM/story.html

According to a former National League general manager, the Red Sox may also have discussed something other than managing with Ausmus, perhaps even a bench coach position under someone like John Farrell. But it appears that Ausmus would want to manage the Red Sox, not be a coach.

Ausmus, who declined comment about the interview...

****. I have a feeling the Sox are going to pay a King's Ransom for Farrell and may have insulted Ausmus in the process by asking him if he would be interested in being Farrell's bench coach, WHILE he was interview for the manager's position.

I know that would piss me off and the fact that he declined to comment could be an indicator that he was insulted (I hope I'm not reading into it too much).

bagwell368
10-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Ausmus IMO is the guy that could do the best or the worst. He's very tough - that either works or it fails - and please SPARE me the sermon about the team needing to be tough and getting the worst/lazy pieces of **** out of here - the fact is there are 25 players, and one Manager. Proving a point and losing yet another season or two is not wise - even if it satisfies the Marine Top Kick fantasy some of us have. Not sure he's worth the gamble.

I think Wallach is the best move. When Farrell is not retained by the Jays they can give him some job - like Sr. Special Assistant to the GM, or Pitching Coordinator for all levels or whatever. If Wallch falters, viola, you've got the guy you *think* you want ready to go, he costs you nothing in compensation to a team. Besides, I think he likes that upstairs/back room crap. Maybe he can take over (and get minority owner status) when we are finally rid of that snake, LL if they like him that much. But paying Toronto something valuable to get him is asinine.

Nomar
10-18-2012, 09:59 AM
http://www.boston.com/sports/2012/10/17/red-sox-interview-brad-ausmus-for-manager-job/DnExoUq1mlAoNK7xJP0wKM/story.html

****. I have a feeling the Sox are going to pay a King's Ransom for Farrell and may have insulted Ausmus in the process by asking him if he would be interested in being Farrell's bench coach, WHILE he was interview for the manager's position.

I know that would piss me off and the fact that he declined to comment could be an indicator that he was insulted (I hope I'm not reading into it too much).

Yeah i dont think you can read into this really.

Soxfan85
10-18-2012, 11:17 AM
All I can say is they will be looking for another manager next year again if they pick JF. He has failed in Toronto and will fail here too. Not saying I don't like JF I just don't want us to give a top prospect for a manger who has failed but I guess the FO don't care about that. JF is not the answer. We have plenty of candidates that I'd be happy to have. Wallach, Pena, Ausmus.
Like others are saying why interview 12 hrs and then say sorry we wanted JF all along. I'd be pissed off!

StayOnBoard
10-18-2012, 11:23 AM
All I can say is they will be looking for another manager next year again if they pick JF. He has failed in Toronto and will fail here too.

I don't think it's fair to say he's failed in Toronto, he's had a less than stellar team to manage on the field (in fact, the Jays are downright terrible, not even including the injuries).

Not saying I don't like JF I just don't want us to give a top prospect for a manger who has failed but I guess the FO don't care about that.

You won't have to give up a top prospect, Jays fans are crazy thinking they'll be getting anyone outside of a top 10 guy.

JF is not the answer. We have plenty of candidates that I'd be happy to have. Wallach, Pena, Ausmus.

Agreed - personally I think you guys should hire Ausmus, but I truly think Farrell will be the guy...

Like others are saying why interview 12 hrs and then say sorry we wanted JF all along. I'd be pissed off!

Agree as well - stop wasting other people's times if you know the guy you want, buck up and get it done. Toronto shouldn't be unreasonable with compensation but getting him for free or some top 40 guy isn't going to happen either.

It'll be an interesting offseason that's for sure.

MagicBucsSox
10-18-2012, 02:44 PM
You guys are cryin too much over who's manager. It's all about the guys on the field. Even torree wasn't joe torree until he managed The Yankee talent

Nomar
10-18-2012, 02:48 PM
You guys are cryin too much over who's manager. It's all about the guys on the field. Even torree wasn't joe torree until he managed The Yankee talent

Youre right, he was Joe "Torre".

But seriously, i think managers' effects on the game are overrated, especially in the AL. I just want a clubhouse that doesnt have a new problem for the media to report every day. There were more off the field headlines than on the field headlines this year. That was sad to see.

thebusnotjerome
10-18-2012, 02:52 PM
if the Sox hire John Farrell, this will be another Lucchino hiring. Wallach and Ausmus would be a Cherrington hiring

j-bay
10-18-2012, 02:55 PM
if the Sox hire John Farrell, this will be another Lucchino hiring. Wallach and Ausmus would be a Cherrington hiring

I think Ben is running this not LL.

AI
10-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I want Ausmus or Wallach, pass on Farrell.

Celtic AL
10-18-2012, 03:06 PM
I want Ausmus or Wallach, pass on Farrell.

No Alex Cora? Lol

AI
10-18-2012, 03:07 PM
No Alex Cora? Lol

I would love him, but unfortunately, he's not being considered.

j-bay
10-18-2012, 03:10 PM
Chris Cotillo‏@TradeDeadliner

Other four candidates for #RedSox job have all been interviewed: Tim Wallach, Brad Ausmus, Demarlo Hale, Tony Pena. Favorite still Farrell.

Celtic AL
10-18-2012, 03:14 PM
I like wallach a lot he would fit perfect of this team. Same goes ausmus but idk if he's ready for a team that has to face the media who watches this team like a hawk.

AI
10-18-2012, 03:19 PM
Ausmus is the one guy who I would take the gamble on. Imagine if he convinced Hickey to come be our pitching coach (they are close friends). God I would love that combination.

Bo Sox Fan
10-18-2012, 03:28 PM
In a perfect world.

Manager ~ Brad Ausmus
Pitching Coach ~ John Farrel
Hitting Coach ~ Dave Magadan

Two minds are better than one.

AI
10-18-2012, 05:16 PM
That is another thing, I hope we are able to retain Magadan and Tuck.

grandsalami
10-18-2012, 05:39 PM
Major League source: Sox-Jays beyond "preliminary" stage of compensation talks in a deal for Toronto manager John Farrell.

SirHizz
10-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Oh my gawd, they better not take the Ozzie Guillen compensation as a primary example, because the Fish farm was a joke back then.
They'd rather take the "Theo Epstein" as a model. That means Carpenter (you could argue he's gotten better than at the same stage last year) and maybe a throw in like Stewart.

I swear I am gonna riot if they give up anything substantially.

Yankee$ Hater
10-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I think Ben is running this not LL.

LOL and what makes you say this?

grandsalami
10-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Joe McDonald ‏@ESPNJoeyMac
Red Sox team source: "Impressed with all the candidates interviewed."

j-bay
10-18-2012, 07:29 PM
LOL and what makes you say this?

i'm just guessing. I mean all the talk in this search is letting Ben pick

grandsalami
10-18-2012, 07:29 PM
John Tomase ‏@jtomase
Sox source impressed with all 4 candidates. Says next step is to "regroup" and assess where they stand tomorrow. No further word on Farrell.

SirHizz
10-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Toronto-fans dream about Pedroia and/or Buchholz. And supposedly the Jays did reject an offer that could have gotten them any prospect behind our Killer B's, that means that players like Webster, Brentz and Owens were fair game. I'd completely throw up if that were to happen.

My guess is that either Wallach or Pena gets the job. Ausmus is probably too much of a risk (for them).

-Lavigne43-
10-18-2012, 07:43 PM
LL wasn't even a part of the interviews according to Wallach.

Soxfan85
10-18-2012, 07:44 PM
Some guesses on possible trades NOT offical
http://bostonglobe.com/sports/2012/10/18/what-would-red-sox-give-for-john-farrell/11OQ4pga2AKZg8J43mk0bO/story.html

Another site said Bard http://www.masslive.com/redsox/index.ssf/2012/10/red_sox_must_decide_how_much_c.html

The Red Sox could part with the aforementioned Chris Carpenter or somebody like RHP Clayton Mortensen, RHP Alex Wilson, or RHP Zach Stewart.

The second piece of the puzzle would be somebody like OF Juan Carlos Linares, 3B Kolbrin Vitek, INF Ivan DeJesus Jr., or maybe even OF Che-Hsuan Lin, who was designated for assignment on Wednesday.

Thoughts? Like I said before JF is not really the best IMO for Boston. They interviewed what like 4? Its like oh sorry to waste your time but we really wanted JF. My guess its NOT going to happen JF to be the manager.

http://blog.masslive.com/redsoxmonster/2012/10/when_it_comes_to_the_red_sox_m.html

John Farrell the next Boston Red Sox manager? If not, Tony Pena could be the choice. I Like 100%

-Lavigne43-
10-18-2012, 07:45 PM
Thoughts? Media is just going to throw **** against the wall like they did last year with Theo.

BackyardRounder
10-18-2012, 07:46 PM
I just threw a 20 at the local Yankees fan bartender, took a double of Jack like a champ and walked out in glory. I'll have to make this a tradition if the Red Sox turn things around next year.

Soxfan85
10-18-2012, 07:57 PM
Thoughts? Media is just going to throw **** against the wall like they did last year with Theo.

:nod:

Soxfan85
10-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe was told by a major league source that the Red Sox and Blue Jays are beyond the "preliminary" stage of compensation talks for manager John Farrell.
This would seem to indicate that the two sides are pretty far down the road on a potential trade. The Red Sox have also interviewed Yankees bench coach Tony Pena, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Padres special assistant Brad Ausmus and Orioles third base coach DeMarlo Hale, but it's increasingly clear that Farrell is their top choice for the gig.

BackyardRounder
10-18-2012, 08:10 PM
People tend to respect 6'4'', 210 lb pound managers such a Farrell, but I still question his ability to relate to position players.

BostonSports96
10-18-2012, 09:11 PM
People tend to respect 6'4'', 210 lb pound managers such a Farrell, but I still question his ability to relate to position players.

Not when they are almost 60 years old

j-bay
10-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Jon Heyman‏@JonHeymanCBS

some say Farrell has uneasy relationship w/ #jays front office & expect him to be traded to #redsox. http://cbsprt.co/Tx4Z4t

-Lavigne43-
10-18-2012, 10:10 PM
Compared to earlier managerial searches conducted by the ownership team of Henry/Werner/Lucchino, the Red Sox are flying under the radar in their hunt for a new skipper this year.

No media availability for the candidates. No comments from management. Nothing, really, to even indicate that they're in the market for a new manager.

But at least one Red Sox player -- who spoke to Comcast SportsNet's Mike Giardi on the condition of anonymity -- is impressed, at least with the quality of the field.

"Last year, there were a bunch of guys I didn't know or care about," he told Giardi, referring to the early part of the search when the Sox focused on a field of low-profile candidates (Dale Sveum, Sandy Alomar Jr., Pete Mackanin, etc.). "This year, when I saw the names, I was excited. These guys are well-respected."

(That great respect for Ausmus, Wallach and Pena, incidentally, is "unlike [how he felt about] the guy they hired last year", Bobby Valentine.)

"I can call any one of my friends on other teams and ask them about [Tim] Wallach or [Tony] Pena or [Brad] Ausmus, and they've got nothing but good things to say, or heard nothing but good things. How can you not like that, after last winter's [expletive]?"

But he's not as impressed with management's presumed favorite, current Blue Jays manager and former Sox pitching coach John Farrell.

"He's a hell of a pitching coach, but did you see Toronto play this year? They were as lost as we were.

"Losing [Jose Bautista] was like us losing David [Ortiz], but they didn't gut their team at the deadline (and still finished only four games ahead of the Sox). And what happened to their pitching staff? Isn't that [Farrell's] strength? He can't make 'em make the pitch, but isn't that the expectation here? Whatever."

(EDITOR'S NOTE: To be fair to Farrell, the Blue Jays suffered a wave of pitching injuries -- Drew Hutchinson, Dustin McGowan, Jesse Litsch, Brandon Morrow, Kyle Drabek, Robert Coello -- that severely impacted the staff.)

"I'm pretty sure those guys were in more of a hurry to end the season than we were. Did you see how fast they went in the [expletive]? That was a step backward."

http://www.csnne.com/baseball-boston-redsox/redsox-talk/Sox-player-impressed-with-field-of-manag?blockID=790119&feedID=3352

-Lavigne43-
10-19-2012, 12:25 AM
Please use that Farrell thread. I do not want this thread to turn into stupidity.

AI
10-19-2012, 01:16 AM
I really don't want Farrell anymore. Fresh start, new manager.

Please get Ausmus or Wallach before somebody else hires them.

bagwell368
10-19-2012, 07:22 AM
Not when they are almost 60 years old

If that guy weighs 210, I'm a monkey's uncle. Too much lasagna. He's 225 at least.

Sorry, but while on balance guys from 45-60 are less of a threat then when they were 30-45 physically, they are usually much more able to cut to the chase and send the message w/o concerns of a PC nature - or "will they still like me". I.E. Do the ****ing job comes out better IMO.

-Lavigne43-
10-19-2012, 12:51 PM
Like I said, keep that discussion in the "John Farrell watch" thread. This is a compensation free thread.

Nomar
10-19-2012, 02:07 PM
I haven't heard of Wallach or Ausmus interviewing anywhere else, and i doubt they do until our decision is made, which hopefully is relatively soon.

-Lavigne43-
10-19-2012, 04:53 PM
There's no other available jobs right now.

Gammons said on the radio that it's between Ausmus and Farrell. Of course it's Gammons so who knows if that's true.

Cronin
10-19-2012, 06:44 PM
There's no other available jobs right now.

Gammons said on the radio that it's between Ausmus and Farrell. Of course it's Gammons so who knows if that's true.

Rockies, they're apparently at least going to take a look at a few outside the organization names, i.e Sandy Alomar Jr. and Tim Wallach..

http://blogs.denverpost.com/rockies/tag/tim-wallach/

-Lavigne43-
10-19-2012, 06:46 PM
How did I forget about the Rockies and Giambi? Yeah, they interviewed Wallach. I think they were planning on interviewing Ausmus too.

Nomar
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Jim Hickey would be an amazing pickup as a pitching coach. Ive heard he and Farrell are friends, but i see no reason that he would leave Maddon if it werent for a managing position.

AI
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
Jim Hickey would be an amazing pickup as a pitching coach. Ive heard he and Farrell are friends, but i see no reason that he would leave Maddon if it werent for a managing position.

I was searching for contract details, this is not confirmed, but I believe Hickey is still under contract with the Rays.

Nomar
10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
I was searching for contract details, this is not confirmed, but I believe Hickey is still under contract with the Rays.

That would be a huge steal for us. I cant believe he isnt managing a team yet. Toronto should consider him and Ausmus IMO. Both mould be great moves.

-Lavigne43-
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Rob Bradford ‏@bradfo
Source: Torey Lovullo to become Red Sox bench coach http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/this-just-in/21235896/source-lovullo-become-sox-bench-coach …

yay

Nomar
10-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Kind of surprising Toronto didnt give him an interview. Or have they already? Either way, this is good for us.