PDA

View Full Version : Buy The Hype?: Metta Has Been Beasting

C-Style
09-29-2012, 02:13 AM
Mike Brown on Metta World Peace: "[He's] been off the charts in pickup games"

Jamison-"Metta is looking like an All-Star"

L.A Times- "Metta World Peace looks in good shape during recent workout"

Lakers News: Metta World Peace in Optimal Shape for Upcoming Season

Adrian Wojnarowski: Several NBA people who've been watching Metta World Peace work in L.A. insist he's in the best physical shape they've seen him in years.

Mike Bresnahan:Metta World Peace is in absolute peak shape...he’s 15 pounds lighter than he was last fall

"Metta World Peace In Best Shape of his Post-Pacers Career"

Mike Bresnahan: I hear very good things about Metta World Peace. He's in shape, lost weight and...surprise!...working a lot on his shot

Metta World Peace's goal? 'Just to be one of the best again'

Do you buy it or call BS?

C-Style
09-29-2012, 02:15 AM
To me it's one of those things you gotta see to believe, I dunno

MetroMan
09-29-2012, 02:16 AM
To me it's one of those things you gotta see to believe, I dunno

bingo

Ebbs
09-29-2012, 02:18 AM
BS I bet he is clearly the weakness on the floor all year. I would not be surprised if he loses the starting role to be honest.

heyman321
09-29-2012, 02:19 AM
Not surprised if he is traded for Adam Morrison at the deadline.

Sadds The Gr8
bull ****ing sh-t

mvb815
he is capable, i'd be worried more about his defense if he is really in shape

Chacarron
09-29-2012, 02:20 AM
It would make me happy if he was good offensively again. Hopefully this isn't just all talk and he really has improved.

UPRock
09-29-2012, 02:32 AM
His problem is not his physical form, its his Mental state, so lets hope he doesn't make the stupid shots and decisions he was doing last year.

topdog
09-29-2012, 02:32 AM
This is the time of year when everyone is in such great shape and they look sooo good in pick-up games. If MWP is any better this year, I would assume to credit it to all the attention that will be focused on his fellow 4.

Andrew32
09-29-2012, 02:45 AM
Metta is talented but also seems like the kind of player who struggles unless he is frequently involved in the offense.

We saw how well he played when Kobe was out last season.

With Dwight / Pau / Nash and Kobe on the team he won't be used consistently enough for him to really be that effective offensively.

He needs to play hard on defense and practice his shot.

We'll see though... maybe he will be great but he doesn't seem like the Marion type who can flourish (on offense anyway) in a garbageman/roleplayer type role.

Shlumpledink
09-29-2012, 02:49 AM
He was the only one who had enough balls to take open shots last year, and he knocked down a lot more towards the end of the year. I understand he had some sort of achilles tendon issues that hurt his ability to train last year. I expect good things from him this year.

ThunderousDemon
09-29-2012, 03:00 AM
He's going to be an all-star this year, Book it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-OYKd8SVrI

shep33
09-29-2012, 03:03 AM
Metta was horrid during the first half of last season, but his back injury was very severe during that span. Dude went out and played every night with a messed up back.

Once he healed though, he was playing pretty darn good. The last month of the regular season he was putting up 14, 4 and 3 while playing good defense.

All that being said, I gotta see it to believe it. Physically he looks in absolute peak shape, I've never seen him in better shape since he left Indy.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 03:07 AM
we are in the time where every team is a contender at 0-0, and every player can be an all star after working out for a few months.

Artest has been garbage for 3 years. Will he change it? Meh, doubt it.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 03:08 AM
Brandon Roy has been killing workouts. We should put the Wolves with OKC and LAL.....

ThunderousDemon
09-29-2012, 03:11 AM
we are in the time where every team is a contender at 0-0, and every player can be an all star after working out for a few months.

Artest has been garbage for 3 years. Will he change it? Meh, doubt it.
Are the Orlando Magic a contender for the NBA championship?

Does Eddy Curry have a chance at being an all star? <------- Anybody want to take a stab at this zinger waiting to happen?

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 03:14 AM
Are the Orlando Magic a contender for the NBA championship?

Does Eddy Curry have a chance at being an all star?

If you listen to some, most likely..

Andrew32
09-29-2012, 03:17 AM
Eddy still has potential. :o

ThunderousDemon
09-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Eddy still has potential. :o

You're damn right he does!

:laugh:

Bulls_fan90
09-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Who the cares? Lakers forum.

5ass
09-29-2012, 03:25 AM
He's so ripped.
http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/MettaWorldPeace.jpeg

ThunderousDemon
09-29-2012, 03:27 AM
Who the cares? Lakers forum.

Do you buy the hype about MWP?

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-29-2012, 03:45 AM
BS I bet he is clearly the weakness on the floor all year. I would not be surprised if he loses the starting role to be honest.

:rolleyes::laugh:

C-Style
09-29-2012, 03:47 AM
He's so ripped.
http://jocksandstilettojill.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/MettaWorldPeace.jpeg

:speechless:****, is that photoshop?

Andrew32
09-29-2012, 03:52 AM
:speechless:****, is that photoshop?

That is an old *** pic I saw it awhile ago.
Also dude might have been roiding that doesn't look natural.

Ebbs
09-29-2012, 03:55 AM
:rolleyes::laugh:

How is that laughable? Of Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight who is taking his spot as weakest link.... I know multiple laker fans that thought Barnes should have been the permanent starter. So save it man and don't act like he's anything more than a low end role player

Mr_Jones
09-29-2012, 04:18 AM
That is an old *** pic I saw it awhile ago.
Also dude might have been roiding that doesn't look natural.

Lol, this was a couple weeks ago. I guess that is an old *** pic.

Mave1002
09-29-2012, 04:22 AM
bull ****ing sh-t

Oh, they mad now. :rolleyes:

Hotone1401
09-29-2012, 06:12 AM
Metta's improved physical shape will really only be noticeable on defense. I can't see him exploding into a great offense player on this current Laker team. He won't ever have the ball in his hands except for spot up shooting and an occasional play in the post when a few starters sit. He's not the type to rack up stats in broken plays either and definitely not the Shawn Marion type.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-29-2012, 06:16 AM
How is that laughable? Of Nash-Kobe-Pau-Dwight who is taking his spot as weakest link.... I know multiple laker fans that thought Barnes should have been the permanent starter. So save it man and don't act like he's anything more than a low end role player

no way he loses his starting job...for who lol

Andrew32
09-29-2012, 06:21 AM
no way he loses his starting job...for who lol

Jamison

Hotone1401
09-29-2012, 06:39 AM
Jamison

I doubt it. Jamison seems to be the guy who gives another dynamic off the bench as a stretch 4 when Pau sits. Putting Jamison at the 3 with the starters really won't be improving our starting 5 by much if any in place of Metta.

Remember, Metta could be extremely effective coming off the bench as well considering we don't have room for him down on the block when Pau and Dwight are in the game. It's just a better idea to have Metta in the starting lineup to help with perimeter defense and ease the load for Kobe and Nash.

xxcubs22xx
09-29-2012, 07:27 AM
I'll believe it when I see it.

And I hope I do see it because I think this is for real.

SteBO
09-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Metta's improved physical shape will really only be noticeable on defense. I can't see him exploding into a great offense player on this current Laker team. He won't ever have the ball in his hands except for spot up shooting and an occasional play in the post when a few starters sit. He's not the type to rack up stats in broken plays either and definitely not the Shawn Marion type.
Bingo. He hasn't been consistently good at all on offense and that is not going to change at any point. The defense is where the improvement should rear its head.

dnewguy
09-29-2012, 08:13 AM
I believe the hype but Kobe won't pass him the ball.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-29-2012, 08:19 AM
I believe the hype but Kobe won't pass him the ball.

he doesnt need the BALL

Raps08-09 Champ
09-29-2012, 08:35 AM
He can be as physically fit as he wants. Doesn't cover up for his mental lapses.

kobebabe
09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
I just hope that doesn't translate into the best phsical shape to throw tougher elbows and punches! I hope it means to kill opponents on defense

BALLER R
09-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Well he should be wide open every single offensive possession. Hopefully he can make the open shot. But if all that is true and he's like his old self (Physically). Then watch out. Metta World peace Defense is nothing compared to Ron Artest's Defense.

Heediot
09-29-2012, 09:02 AM
Contract year, so no surprise he's working hard to help himself.

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-29-2012, 09:07 AM
Contract year, so no surprise he's working hard to help himself.

wrong

Heediot
09-29-2012, 09:12 AM
wrong

Yeah, just found out he has a player option, which he will more than likely opt- in to.

But what if he over-performs, should he opt out and test the market for a longer MLE deal?

xxplayerxx23
09-29-2012, 09:29 AM
La player looks great :eyebrow: Certain LA fans believe Metta is still a top notch defender :eyebrow: Metta is horrible, I call BS.

beasted86
09-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Agree completely. I've said it already I expect to see a lot of Kobe at the 3 and Meeks at the 2.

I don't expect Jamison to play a lot of SF because his defense on the wing would be pretty bad.

Lakers4life08
09-29-2012, 09:48 AM
i am not suprised,why???? he really loves L.A. and wanna be here until he retires....after this season,Lakerswould consider to amnesty him to save money....so he need to play good or else he is gone

3's set u free
09-29-2012, 10:06 AM
As I laker fan and watching him the past few years, there is absolutely no chance he will be at an all star level. I watched some summer league of him and he looked like the same player. When he is better shape he plays great defense and the rim doesnt block his dunks. He still cant shoot unless he has a driblle, hes not a spot up shooter.

Absolute best case, he somehow finds out how to knock down a spot up 3, plays great defense and is an asset. Worst case, he still cant shoot and is the one whole in the lakers lineup.

xxplayerxx23
09-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Defense is all you need from him, I just don't see him being that shut down guy. He is physcal but I don't think he is anything more then a slightly above average defender.

Aleksandar
09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
I though he would be an absolute garbage this year. Besides obvious mental issues, his physical condition seemed to be in horrible decline last year.

If the rumors are true, and he can pull off anything close to a "bad but not that horrible" season, it's a bonus for the Lakers..

Zefflin
09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
Peace will be the x factor in every game

IndyRealist
09-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I realize I'm older than a lot of people here....but when did "beast" become a verb? :confused:

I watched Artest in Chicago, Indiana, and Houston. I've watched him slash less, hustle less, and shoot jumpers more every season. I've also watched him get wider and slower. Dude was a physical specimen early in his career. I don't think one summer of workouts can undo the damage he's done to his frame over the last 6 or so years. Converting bulk into lean muscle take a lot of time.

DoMeFavors
09-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Atleast he is monivated but where was this the past 2 years?

Eg714
09-29-2012, 01:21 PM
I believe the hype. Mettas been working hard and people are noticing. He's motivated to prove people wrong. I don't think he will play at an all star level on offense but I think he's capable of playing elite defense, which is all the lakers need from him.

Last year in the the second half he really surprised me by how well he was playing. If he can improve off what he did in the last half of last year then the lakers will be winning the championship.

Hotone1401
09-29-2012, 01:25 PM
Atleast he is monivated but where was this the past 2 years?

Injuries.

Mr. LA
09-29-2012, 01:40 PM
La player looks great :eyebrow: Certain LA fans believe Metta is still a top notch defender :eyebrow: Metta is horrible, I call BS.

LOL U so scared son

Zefflin
09-29-2012, 01:51 PM
I don't think one summer of workouts can undo the damage he's done to his frame over the last 6 or so years. Converting bulk into lean muscle take a lot of time.

The damage of finally winning a ring?? :eyebrow:

JNA17
09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
Injuries.

Bingo.

It will be interesting to see. I think this year will be the he's year Metta has wih the lakers ever. What does that mean? Don't know yet lol.

That Guy Mooque
09-29-2012, 02:16 PM
I don't know if anyone has made this point yet... We've heard similar things about players looking to make a comeback in all the major sports. "Player X is looking like he's in the best shape of his life" or some type of attempted foreshadowing the implies that "Player X" is poised to make a serious come back this year. We've seen this many, many times before...

...How often has that next season ACTUALLY ended on a positive note? I feel like I've watched this play out tons of times and it almost always ends with an injury, underwhelming season, or some sort of horrible ending.

(Several straight seasons in the mid 2000's) Reporter 1: "Donovan McNabb has showed up to camp looking considerably lighter!" Reporter 2: "Oh, no doubt! McNabb shed about 25lbs in the offseason. He's looking faster, he's looking focused, even his passes are looking more crisp! I'm expecting big things out of #5 this season!"

(4 months later) Reporter 1: "Eagles Quarterback Donovan McNabb has been placed on season ending IR today with a sports hernia." Reporter 2: "Unfortunately, conditioning has never been one of D-Mac's strong points. This may be the end of his time in Philly..."

(Rinse and repeat for 4 more seasons)

I hope this ends well for Ron-Ron, I do like the guy. But I feel like this kind of report is almost like a jinx.

dee279
09-29-2012, 02:23 PM
Alert- Mr. LA using people's names to put out fake information.

Burkey3472
09-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Just being healthy helps him a lot. If he is in shape and he is healthy he can be a solid peace but he's also turning 33 in November, he's not going to be what he was in his prime.

Lake_Show2416
09-29-2012, 02:30 PM
Metta is going to beast, he's in shape & finally completely healthy

AndyfromNeptune
09-29-2012, 02:54 PM
He says he's at about 7% body fat right now. That's pretty respectable.

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-29-2012, 03:21 PM
Agree completely. I've said it already I expect to see a lot of Kobe at the 3 and Meeks at the 2.

I don't expect Jamison to play a lot of SF because his defense on the wing would be pretty bad.

oh heat fans :facepalm:

smith&wesson
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
he isnt going to be the ron artest of when he was a pacer...

but this cant be a bad thing. ron artest in better shape means stronger defense and if he can work on his spot up shooting it will def help open the floor up for howard and nash will find him...

he doesnt need to be an all star. but if he can hit an open 3 and gaurd the aposing best wing player he will be a great asset for the lakers this season.

lakersiznumber1
09-29-2012, 03:40 PM
good news for laker fans but i believe this is true. metta is 1 player who works hard on his game and his health. He played good in the playoffs so im happy 4 the man

whitemamba33
09-29-2012, 03:54 PM
I don't understand why this is THAT hard to believe. When Kobe was out Metta stepped it up and averaged around 18-19 ppg at a pretty decent shooting percentage. If he's committed himself to getting in shape and working on his shot I don't know why it would be that crazy if it showed in his play this season. He's going to be possibly held back a little bit because of the big names the Lakers have picked up, but if people are telling me he's serious I have no reason to believe otherwise.