PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: NBA Power Rankings

Lake_Show2416
09-28-2012, 04:37 PM
Miami
46-20
How can they not start out peering down at 29 other teams? Even if the Heat do launch slowly with Wade and Ray Ray healing, it's not just our rule about defending champions that matters. Also: Mr. James returns as undisputed King of his sport for the first time ever.

Los Angeles
41-25
Maybe you can't win anything in the summertime. What you can do, though, is leapfrog everyone else in Power Rankdom apart from the defending champs when you trade for Dwight and Nash without surrendering Pau, which still hasn't fully sunk in even after writing that sentence dozens of times.

Oklahoma City
47-19
Am I, like so many out there, overlooking the fact that the Lakers still have lots of chemistry wrinkles to work out and health questions to answer? Guilty. Thing is, OKC convenes for camp amid plenty of its own uncertainty thanks to Harden's contract situation, Perk's health and that Finals flameout.

San Antonio
50-16
Timmy, Manu and Tony don't get any easier to read with age. Who could have predicted the 20 games in a row they won or the four straight Ls to OKC after that brush with invincibility? Want to write the Spurs off after a summer of precious little change? Go for it. We'll pass.

Los Angeles
40-26
Last season of bliss before CP3 leaves Blake and Clipperland behind? Or the start of something truly special that makes L.A. feel like Manchester with two true powerhouse teams in the same neighborhood? Like it or not, Staples Center is the NBA's two-team epicenter for juicy storylines. For now.

Boston
39-27
Whether or not you agree with Rondo's claim that the Celts are still on the short list of five teams that can win it all, there's no denying they'll have a bench this time with JET Terry, Courtney Lee, Jeff Green and Darko arriving to succeed the departed Ray Allen and Stiemsma.

Philadelphia
35-31
Find myself drawn to the Sixers as much as anyone in the East chasing Miami. Time will tell if I'm assuming too much about Bynum's impact, but Philly automatically skyrockets here for now in the wake of a trade that landed an undeniable franchise center and got Dwight out of the East.

Indiana
42-24
Indy's splashiest acquisition was Donnie Walsh. Nothing wrong with that -- not when the Pacers also re-signed Hibbert and George Hill -- but that means Frank Vogel is clearly dependent on improvement from within to maintain their spot in the East's elite. Not so simple.

Denver
38-28
The Nuggets, with Iguodala, are right there with Memphis and Dallas in the West's steel-cage battle for the bottom four playoff seeds. Yet you can't shake the suspicion that, even if Iggy and JaVale McGee have big years, they'll find out first-hand what sort of monster they helped L.A. assemble.

Dallas
36-30
After missing out on D-Will, Dallas never dreamed it could offer only one-year deals to the rest of the free-agent pack and still come away with Mayo, Kaman, Brand and Collison. The problem? The West is suddenly super deep again. And now Dallas has to score in Free Agency 2013.

Memphis
41-25
Committee (of one) spies say Z-Bo looks far sharper coming into this season than he did at any point last season, but it won't mean much unless A) Z-Bo and Rudy Gay finally click, B) Gay is dealt for a better fit and C) Memphis eventually puts some shooters around Z-Bo and Marc Gasol.

Brooklyn
22-44
OK, OK: They didn't get Dwight. But the Nets did just enough, by trading for Joe Johnson and signing a slew of others, to convince D-Will to stay, ship a watchable team to their gleaming new Brooklyn palace and give themselves a shot at finishing higher than the Knicks. It's a start.

New York
36-30
Let's see. Let's see if J-Kidd, at 39, can combine with Ray Felton (and Hakeem Olajuwon's tutorials) to help Melo and Amare snap together like Legos at last and make people forget that James Dolan let J-Lin go out of what largely appears to be spite. Maximum points for ambition.

Minnesota
26-40
When was the last time the Wolves were this interesting? Probably 2003-04 when they went to the West finals before trading away Sam (I Am) Cassell. We're still not quite sure how soon Rubio will be back from knee surgery, but K-Love and his overhauled supporting cast are must-see regardless.

Chicago
50-16
If you think D-Rose was emotional at that adidas press conference chronicling his diligent rehab, wait until you see what happens around New Year's when he and Coach Thibs start planning Rose's comeback from that ACL tear ... and cautious Bulls management tells them it's best to sit tight.

Utah
36-30
In the early days of the Pop era, Utah was the franchise San Antonio always tried to emulate. Now the Jazz have imported Dennis Lindsey from the Spurs' front-office mafia to help figure out who on the frontline stays or goes (Jefferson? Millsap?) to make way for Favors and Kanter.

Golden State
23-43
New management has overhauled so much, but the expectation that something (most likely health) will go awry lives on. So let's see if the Dubs -- deepest roster since 2007's We Believe squad -- with Bogut, Curry and D-Lee ready to the start the season -- can hush the doomsayers for once.

Atlanta
40-26
It won't show up in the standings right away, but the Hawks were one of the unquestioned offseason winners on this scorecard when Danny Ferry jettisoned Joe Johnson (and more). I'd rather start over, as Atlanta will
now do, than pointlessly keep banging my head on a second-round ceiling.

Milwaukee
31-35
En route to the Hall of Fame, reflecting on the monster trade two of his old teams swung, Don Nelson said: "Something you just never do in the NBA, you don't trade a 6-3 player for a talented 7-footer." Put Nellie down, then, in the camp saying Milwaukee lost the Bogut-for-Monta swap.

New Orleans
21-45
Whispers around the league persist that ROY favorite Anthony Davis and Co. can make a run at the No. 8 spot out West. I simply prefer to echo what we so often said about Kyrie's Cavs last season: Hope has been restored here, post-CP3, far faster than anyone imagined.

Portland
28-38
Can Damian Lillard trump Unibrow Davis and actually win the ROY race? Hard to fathom. Will Lillard be sufficiently dazzling to buy new coach Terry Stotts some time and placate Blazermaniacs as their heroes try to rebuild around Aldridge, Batum and the flashy new PG? Quite conceivable.

Washington
20-46
Lottery teams aren't supposed to be very intriguing, but the Wiz do make you wonder: Are we sleeping on these guys? Depends on what they get from Wall and his new rookie sidekick Beal and what sort of impact Nene and Okafor can still make. Buy in at your own risk.

Toronto
23-43
There's quiet optimism north of the border that the Raps can scrap for the East's No. 8 spot. I'll just stop at saying that Valanciunas' unhappy Olympics (and likely slow NBA start) won't discourage me at all about his promise. European coaches are prone to take it slow with young guys.

Phoenix
33-33
Did the Suns hang onto Steve Nash too long? Definitely. Did they spin out of Nash's emotional defection to the hated Lakers about as well as they possibly could by signing All-Lefty Team aspirant Dragic and snagging Scola on an amnesty waiver claim? This desert lover hopes so.

Detroit
25-41
It's an if. A rather big if, actually. But the idea that draft gamble Andre Drummond can eventually form a legit front-line tandem with Greg Monroe -- with salary-cap space looming next summer -- adds up to the biggest glimmer of hope Pistons fans have seen for a half-decade.

Houston
34-32
Better to be stockpiling trade assets and scheming from lottery land to finally pull off a blockbuster than chase a playoff spot. The Rockets, sporting J-Lin and Kev Martin and not much else these days after Orlando spurned all their Dwight proposals, are about to seriously test that theory.

Orlando
37-29
Jacque Vaughn's older brother played at Cal State Fullerton, so it'll come as little surprise that the committee (of one) not-so-secretly roots for the Magic's surprise rookie coach. But let's be clear here. A rough season awaits after they got none of the three best players in the Dwight deal.

Cleveland
21-45
The Cavs, with five or six first- and second-year players in their rotation, will ask their fans for more patience. And you know what? With Varejao coming back and Kyrie poised to serve up more thrills, they'll undoubtedly get it whether or not Waiters dazzles or stumbles early.

Sacramento
22-44
The uncertain futures of Tyreke, Jimmer and NBA basketball itself in Sactown command our focus heading into the season. Factor in all the attention Cousins generates, with Thomas Robinson on the scene now as well, and methinks you can expect more Kings chatter nationally than normal.

Charlotte
7-59
How many games will the seven-win Cats win this season? Do they dare dream of rising to the lofty rankings heights of No. 29 or (gasp) No. 28? Will His Airness ever grant an extended interview to explain his game plan? Answers forthcoming in this space every Monday during the regular season.

http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/_/year/2013/week/-1

Miami still top dog.. Nets the best team in NY.. Who is over or underrated?..

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Fair rankings! Lakers will eventually take that#1 spot (;

JNoel
09-28-2012, 04:43 PM
ESPN got something right for once, these look pretty accurate.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2012, 04:51 PM
they actually look pretty fair.

JordansBulls
09-28-2012, 04:53 PM
The Bulls one is sad.

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 04:57 PM
Last year's champions should always be first!!! so I have no problem having Heat number 1 even if we got Durant too lol...but Lakers will obviously be #1 by week 3 at the latest :)

Twins Fanatic
09-28-2012, 04:58 PM
Pretty legit ranking going into the preseason.

Lake_Show2416
09-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Last year's champions should always be first!!! so I have no problem having Heat number 1 even if we got Durant too lol...but Lakers will obviously be #1 by week 3 at the latest :)

unless ur the Dallas Mavs

DubbyDubbs
09-28-2012, 05:09 PM
I dont necessarily agree with some of it but most is right. I dont think Philly should be so high, definitely not ahead of Indy or especially Denver. The bottom of the rankings looks about right as well. I guess the middle is where its all questionable but that is bound to happen anyways.

D.O.N.
09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
This looks alright i would rank phili 2-3 spot lower but other than that it's pretty accurate

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 05:12 PM
unless ur the Dallas Mavs

LOL true :clap:

PacersForLife
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
I dont necessarily agree with some of it but most is right. I dont think Philly should be so high, definitely not ahead of Indy or especially Denver. The bottom of the rankings looks about right as well. I guess the middle is where its all questionable but that is bound to happen anyways.

Basically this. It's pretty accurate otherwise.

Minimal
09-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Well IMO Celtics and Cavaliers too low, and Hornets way too high, everything else is pretty fair.

justinnum1
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
looks good. I would probably have OKC #2

Baller1
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM
Can't be fair rankings with a team who couldn't even make it to the Conference Finals at #2.

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 05:34 PM

Me too!
1. Lakers
2. OKC
3. Heat

NYMetros
09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Chicago should be way higher. I don't understand.. Rose will come back at 100% and they'll be fine.

nickdymez
09-28-2012, 05:57 PM

Cuz your scared

BKdoubleStacker
09-28-2012, 06:06 PM
Can't be fair rankings with a team who couldn't even make it to the Conference Finals at #2.

yea totally br0!!!

because these rankings are for last years teams

DODGERS&LAKERS
09-28-2012, 06:10 PM

That would be a legit statement if they were ranking last years rosters. Too bad Ramon Sessions was replaced by Nash, an unmotivated Bynum was replaced by Howard, Josh McRoberts was replaced by Jamison, Goudlock was replaced by Meeks, and Hill replaces Troy Murphy. Ouch....

NYYCowboys
09-28-2012, 06:11 PM
The Nets being ranked above the Knicks is just pure idiocy. The team sucked last year and added Joe Johnson, and got back a soon to be injured Brook Lopez....Now they're better than the Knicks. OK ESPN. Can't wait until we smack them opening night.

Tysons_Beard
09-28-2012, 06:12 PM
The Nets being ranked above the Knicks is just pure idiocy. The team sucked last year and added Joe Johnson, and got back a soon to be injured Brook Lopez....Now they're better than the Knicks. OK ESPN. Can't wait until we smack them opening night.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

NYK4L
09-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Indy & Brooklyn I don't get.

NYK4L
09-28-2012, 06:18 PM
Chicago should be way higher. I don't understand.. Rose will come back at 100% and they'll be fine.

I didn't think anybody here knew Peter John.

SB75
09-28-2012, 06:21 PM
Ehhhhhh.... I think it's fair for the pre-season.

I think the Bulls and Hawks should be higher, but both have stars returning from injury's so I guess I can see it. I would have the Hawks above GS and Utah and the Bulls above the Wolves and Knicks. But those are no biggies.

Philly 7th? They did get Bynum. But they also lost their best perimeter ( and one of the best in the NBA) defender in Iggy and lost their best scorer in Lou. Not hating on you ( Philly) and you might end up the 7th best team. But to rank them in the pre-season above the Pacers and Nuggets? IDK about that.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2012, 06:25 PM

Do you want them to ignore the slight upgrade at center and the massive upgrade at PG for the Lakers, and just list the ascended standings from last season?

Hawkeye15
09-28-2012, 06:26 PM
Took until page two for a Knicks fan to whine about being 1 spot lower than the Nets. That is longer then I thought it would be.

Uh, by spots 10-15, if you are one off here and there, they are interchangeable. I think most rational fans outside NY city, and even in NYC, believe both teams are pretty equal, and will be fighting for that 4-7 spot. These ranking suggest that.

THE MTL
09-28-2012, 07:15 PM
Ok, I just cannot stand the hate for NYK. They have us as #4 in our division are u kidding me?

Philly loses their best defender along with Brand, Meeks, Williams.....gains Bynum and now they are 7th in the league. And moves 6 places above NYK (a team that was better than them last season).

Nets go from worst team in the division to better than NYK with Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans, and healthy Lopez.

Oh my Knicks have so much to prove.

Hawkeye15
09-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Ok, I just cannot stand the hate for NYK. They have us as #4 in our division are u kidding me?

Philly loses their best defender along with Brand, Meeks, Williams.....gains Bynum and now they are 7th in the league. And moves 6 places above NYK (a team that was better than them last season).

Nets go from worst team in the division to better than NYK with Joe Johnson, Reggie Evans, and healthy Lopez.

Yes. Yes they do. Which is why I don't get Knicks fans getting so irate over these, or any rankings that ever come out. Last year I am called a total Knicks hater for saying they would finish 7th in the preseason. Where did they finish? And before anyone starts with injuries, EVERY team dealt with them.

They have a lot to prove. On paper they have talent, but there has been a glaring lack of chemistry, instability at PG, and now your best perimeter defender will miss a ton of the season. I just don't get why so many Knicks fans get so worked up over these rankings or posters asking to see it first.

BklynKnicks3
09-28-2012, 07:35 PM
looks decent but aint it funny how espn goes out of their way to stick it to knicks in everyway possible iam not even sayin they should be higher then 13, but putting net sover the knicks in every possible way. Nets at 12/ofseason good and bad Nets above knicks in standings in their prediction in who got better who got worse and finally the player rankings Dwill @ 10th 21 ppg 3.3 rebs 8.7 apg 40% shooting 20.34 per with a lottery season to top it off over Melo @17 who avg 22.6 ppg 6.3 rebs 3.6 apg 43% shooting 21.15 per with a 6 games above .500 record and a playoff win in which he had 41. Some people on here have the nerve to say their is no bias vs the knicks this can't be explained.

BklynKnicks3
09-28-2012, 07:38 PM
by the way vegas who doesnt have any bias toward anyway and is just about money has the knicks at -3000 as champs and Nets -5000. Us knicks fans should care about their opinion which is tru but lets once n for all put to rest the fact that their is def a anti knick bias. Anyone who is a knick fan knows the best way to stick it to knicks is The Nets since this has been the knicks city for ever through good times n bad.

mrblisterdundee
09-28-2012, 07:44 PM
I think the first three rankings are correct. The Spurs are probably being touted a bit too much - I just get that feeling that they really are too old, and that playoff flame-out was a serious indicator.
I bet some people from New York City are mad.

NYKnicksAllDay
09-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Seriously why are Knick fans always the ones to get so upset over these rankings? Who cares? Why do you need validation from ESPN and other networks that do rankings?

Vinny642
09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I am fine with 20, by the start of next year we will be top 10 ;)

NYKnicksAllDay
09-28-2012, 08:06 PM

More-Than-Most
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
Sixers------>Knicks-------------->Nets

That covers that

More-Than-Most
09-28-2012, 08:20 PM
That being said I would put Indiana ahead of the sixers but the list is fine... The Knicks are put where they should be considering they were ranked like top 4 last year and fell on their faces...Why the nets get so much love is beyond me.

Alayla
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Ehhhhhh.... I think it's fair for the pre-season.

I think the Bulls and Hawks should be higher, but both have stars returning from injury's so I guess I can see it. I would have the Hawks above GS and Utah and the Bulls above the Wolves and Knicks. But those are no biggies.

Philly 7th? They did get Bynum. But they also lost their best perimeter ( and one of the best in the NBA) defender in Iggy and lost their best scorer in Lou. Not hating on you ( Philly) and you might end up the 7th best team. But to rank them in the pre-season above the Pacers and Nuggets? IDK about that.

Sick of hearing about lou as if J rich and nick young can't pick up his scoreing what people should really be talking about is the loss of brand

lamzoka
09-28-2012, 08:59 PM

Thanx Bro. I jus dont understand why people think the nets are gonna be better than the knicks. i just dont get it. have anybody looked at the nets bench? some people are even saying they have one of the deepest team in the NBA.

JNoel
09-28-2012, 09:06 PM
Nets>Knicks

Knicks are going to win 40 games on the season once they can't get it figured out

lamzoka
09-28-2012, 09:07 PM
1-mia
2-okc
3-lal
4-lac
5-memphis
6-spurs
7-boston
8-pacers
9-denver
10-knicks
11-sixers
12-dallas
13-chic
14-nets
15-twolves

zB_#85
09-28-2012, 09:07 PM
The Bulls one is sad.

Truth hurts :(

Alayla
09-28-2012, 09:09 PM

Brand is legit allthough most of his impact was on D wicth bynum and kawme can mostly pick up meeks has been upgraded to J rich ... Lou has been downgraded slightly to nick young. Iggy has been downgraded to wright so its not like. We have wrose presonell in terms of talent. We are a far better team. The knicks lost lin and. Fields and gained kid and camby. Camby is a nice back up for sure but. Kidd is a downgrade to lin at this point in his carrer and lin isn't even as good as many play him up to be to begin with. Knicks fans have convently short memory in regards to kidds last season he was downright awfull as for you guys being better last season it was by. A game wow not to mention we tanked the last game to avoid the heat in the playoffs.all things considered we where about the same. You guys got wrose on paper we got better how exactly is this ranking insulting in any way? Brooklyn also may very well be better than philly crash hardly played for them last year so consier him an add on then brook lopez is comming back and frankly the nba fanbase has been disregarding him as he is a very good center and they manged to get joe johnson. D will JJ Crash Hump and lopez with brooks and I belive watson on the 2nd unit somehow I belive if the knicks and nets swaped rosters you would be singing a far differnt tune on wicth is better and claiming that the knicks would be primed for a ring this year the fact is the Nets are a sickingly underrated team on paper. They ARE better than the nets and sixers (this comming from a sixers fan) and there are no real abouts about that on paper the nets are a top 5 team in the nba clear cut undisputeable now wether or not that translates on the court is a differnt story.

lamzoka
Nets>Knicks

Knicks are going to win 40 games on the season once they can't get it figured out

And how did u figure that out?

Im_in_Mia_bish
man they are disrespectin the hell out of okc.

JNoel
09-28-2012, 09:13 PM
And how did u figure that out?

Advanced computer cyber metrics that I received from advanced statistics in page 751 section 8 volume 5 under team success which featured the Knicks as the team spewing hot garbage in 2012-13 to be exact.

Baller1
09-28-2012, 09:24 PM
Do you want them to ignore the slight upgrade at center and the massive upgrade at PG for the Lakers, and just list the ascended standings from last season?

Nash doesn't solve their ongoing problem of getting torched by elite PG's, and is also going on 40. Meanwhile, the Thunder get back one of the best backup PG's in the game in Maynor.

Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka are all still under 25... Meaning another year of maturity which is huge for young players.

The Thunder still have Perkins, who is the best one-on-one defender against Dwight, which is LA's biggest advantage against most other teams. Perkins is ***, but he can still play great man-to-man post defense. Not only that, but Dwight is coming off of a semi-serious injury that ended his last season.

We still have the best player between both teams, who has only gotten better against the Lakers every year. It's night and day from that first playoff series against Artest and now. That should tilt in his favor even more as he enters his prime and MWP enters his retirement.

And then there's PJIII, who remains to be seen whether or not he gets a prominent role in the lineup.

The Lakers will be a top team, but I'm not buying the hype. OKC is still a better team.

It's another "dream team" destined to disappoint. See: 2004 Lakers.

justinnum1
09-28-2012, 09:31 PM
Nash doesn't solve their ongoing problem of getting torched by elite PG's, and is also going on 40. Meanwhile, the Thunder get back one of the best backup PG's in the game in Maynor.

Durant, Harden, Westbrook, and Ibaka are all still under 25... Meaning another year of maturity which is huge for young players.

The Thunder still have Perkins, who is the best one-on-one defender against Dwight, which is LA's biggest advantage against most other teams. Perkins is ***, but he can still play great man-to-man post defense. Not only that, but Dwight is coming off of a semi-serious injury that ended his last season.

We still have the best player between both teams, who has only gotten better against the Lakers every year. It's night and day from that first playoff series against Artest and now. That should tilt in his favor even more as he enters his prime and MWP enters his retirement.

And then there's PJIII, who remains to be seen whether or not he gets a prominent role in the lineup.

The Lakers will be a top team, but I'm not buying the hype. OKC is still a better team.

Agreed. OKC-Miami finals rematch.

zB_#85
09-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Defense isnt individual its team. If you have a bad perimeter defender is there anyone better than DPOY as a quick recovering basket protector to make up for that short coming? Did Nash ever have an elite post defender in Dallas or Phx? Oh no he didnt?... then maybe we quit assuming that the recipe to beat LA will be to "torch" Nash. I'm not saying they should or shoukdnt be ahead of Mia or OKC but people don't analyze the game all that well if they think quick PG's are going to have a Sunday stroll to the basket and kill the Lakers.

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 09:50 PM
man they are disrespectin the hell out of okc.

Oh yeah so disrespectful... 3rd behind the team that crushed them in the finals then and then added Ray Allen....and the team that assembled the greatest team of all time when it's all said and done ;) yeah I think they're respected just fine

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Agreed. OKC-Miami finals rematch.

lol you can only dream guys...you can only dream but in reality the Lakers will be smashing the Heat come June or...... Maybe it will be Lakers vs Celtics/Bulls/Knicks/Nets/ but it will definitely be the Lakers

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-28-2012, 09:59 PM
Oh yeah so disrespectful... 3rd behind the team that crushed them in the finals then and then added Ray Allen....and the team that assembled the greatest team of all time when it's all said and done ;) yeah I think they're respected just fine

dude. they were the WCF, they beat the lakers.

OKC should be 2nd until proven otherwise.

just because they lost in 5 games in the finals, that doesnt mean they get to drop to 3rd.
this isnt Boston or San Antonio that being ranked 3rd is a big deal. they were in the FINALS.

They should be ranked 2nd.

just my opinion of course.

JNA17
09-28-2012, 10:01 PM
lol you can only dream guys...you can only dream but in reality the Lakers will be smashing the Heat come June or...... Maybe it will be Lakers vs Celtics/Bulls/Knicks/Nets/ but it will definitely be the Lakers

Dude, just stop it already. :facepalm: Why do you care about a Heat fan's opinion enough to keep going on and on about how great the Lakers are, and anybody that says otherwise are morons.

Newsflash, thats not how it works. I believe the Lakers st this current state are the best team in basketball and think the Lakers will cruise their way to the playoffs and finish the season with a tough nba finals holding the larry o'brien trophy.

But I'm not going to act like posters like dnewguy or DoMeFavors over it and will gladly wait till the season starts so that this can happen. Not blasting and trolling in message boards with inane logic. -_-

kdspurman
09-28-2012, 10:11 PM

OKC should be 2nd until proven otherwise.

just because they lost in 5 games in the finals, that doesnt mean they get to drop to 3rd.
this isnt Boston or San Antonio that being ranked 3rd is a big deal. they were in the FINALS.

They should be ranked 2nd.

just my opinion of course.

I agree. The argument could even be made for Boston to be in the top 3-4 spot as well as they certainly improved and went to Game 7 of the ECF. Top 4 should be the final 4 IMO barring any of the teams don't pull what the Mavs did and disband their team.

ink
09-28-2012, 10:11 PM
The same guy who thinks the Nets got better by adding JJ also thinks the Hawks got better by dumping him. lol. Inexplicable how people think the Nets are going to be much better than last year's flame out Hawks.

JNA17
09-28-2012, 10:15 PM
The same guy who thinks the Nets got better by adding JJ also thinks the Hawks got better by dumping him. lol. Inexplicable how people think the Nets are going to be much better than last year's flame out Hawks.

That's why many IMO are in for a big disappointment. All of a sudden a guy past his prime and a couple of role players make the team from one of the worst to one of the best in the East?

Yeah...no.

Stuckey#3
09-28-2012, 10:41 PM
ESPN is to the Miami Heat what Fox News is to the Republican Party.

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Dude, just stop it already. :facepalm: Why do you care about a Heat fan's opinion enough to keep going on and on about how great the Lakers are, and anybody that says otherwise are morons.

Newsflash, thats not how it works. I believe the Lakers st this current state are the best team in basketball and think the Lakers will cruise their way to the playoffs and finish the season with a tough nba finals holding the larry o'brien trophy.

But I'm not going to act like posters like dnewguy or DoMeFavors over it and will gladly wait till the season starts so that this can happen. Not blasting and trolling in message boards with inane logic. -_-

lol I didn'y say anything... I'm just saying why we should be ahead of OKC in power rankings... We added Dwight and Nash.... and don't give me that crap that Dwight is a slight upgrade over Bynum... He is a MAJOR upgrade... I didn't even mention Jamison or Meeks yet! plus MWP is in shape this year and Kobe is healthier... we also get Jordan Hill for the whole year and Pau shouldn't be distracted at all this year! This is not even close to the team OKC beat last year... Besides they BARELY beat us last year...did you watch the games?

Lakeshow24KB
09-28-2012, 11:03 PM
Cavs are too low IMO.

Lakeshow24KB
09-28-2012, 11:05 PM

Some Laker fans....:facepalm:

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-28-2012, 11:05 PM
ESPN is to the Miami Heat what Fox News is to the Republican Party.

:facepalm: jesus christ..

Lakeshow24KB
09-28-2012, 11:06 PM
lol I didn'y say anything... I'm just saying why we should be ahead of OKC in power rankings... We added Dwight and Nash.... and don't give me that crap that Dwight is a slight upgrade over Bynum... He is a MAJOR upgrade... I didn't even mention Jamison or Meeks yet! plus MWP is in shape this year and Kobe is healthier... we also get Jordan Hill for the whole year and Pau shouldn't be distracted at all this year! This is not even close to the team OKC beat last year... Besides they BARELY beat us last year...did you watch the games?

They won 4-1. That's not barely beating us. I mean, I 100% agree about our team being different but let's not get too cocky and starting saying we'll smash everyone when we don't even know how they'll play together. Let them do the players' game do the talking; not us.

ink
09-28-2012, 11:08 PM

I was cheering for OKC and I thought they were thoroughly exposed against the Heat. 3rd is high IMO considering how feeble the Thunder looked in the finals. they have a chance to redeem themselves, but as of now, with the Harden issues upcoming, and the poor finals performance, 3rd is very generous. They're past the point now of being lauded just for being young and full of potential. They actually have to produce to convince a few people.

ink
09-28-2012, 11:11 PM
That's why many IMO are in for a big disappointment. All of a sudden a guy past his prime and a couple of role players make the team from one of the worst to one of the best in the East?

Yeah...no.

Picking up JJ reeked of desperation to attract a name. I agree that there could be major disappointment there next season.

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2012, 11:19 PM
I must say, I'm surprised to see the Spurs ranked as high as they are, not because I don't think they should be, but because people always seem to sleep on them.

That said, I gotta admit, though I hope I am wrong, that I think the Spurs will take a huge step back this season. 50 wins still for sure, but I think they will have a hard time securing HCA in the first round.

5ass
09-28-2012, 11:26 PM

I think the new additions solved most of the Lakers problems.

-Upgrading from Bynum to Howard will take them from 17th defensively to easily top 10. I think they'll end up being top 5. Howard playing great D will make the others play great D. You will see Dwight playing the best D of his life. Why? Because 1. He will pick up less fouls on offense (a little less post ups, more pick n rolls,). He will get less touches on offense in general, which brings me to #2.Less energy spent on offense=more energy to spend on defense. Also #3. He has Pau Gasol as his PF, Gasol is still a solid paint protecter and a great rebounder. Dwight will not have to worry about leaving the paint as much, and will better close out on players.

-Another huge problem for LA last year, is their assists #s. Nash gives them another ball handler, he will have more weapons in Bryant, Howard and Pau than he's ever had. Yes, even when he had shaq. He's bound to average atleast 10 assists. Basically, Nash is going to make the offense more efficient. He will give Gasol, Howard and especially Kobe open looks/easy baskets.

-3rd problem for LA was their 3 pt shooting. They added Nash, Jamison and Meeks. All 3 should be playing between 20-30 min per game, and they will be taking a lot of open 3s.

-4th problem was their bench, which they upgraded by adding Jamison and Meeks. Their bench isnt great, but they can get the job done.

All this and i still haven't mentioned that howard is a more efficient post player than Bynum, and will also help with the Laker's offensive efficiency.

I dont see how OKC is better. They didnt even address their need of a post scorer. Besides, the lakers actually match up well. They'll have Howard and Gasol clogging up the lane for westbrook. Artest plays good D on Durant and forces a lot of turnovers.

On offense, Howard might "struggle" a bit vs Perkins, but he will most probably shoot over 50%. Perkins CANNOT play shutdown D on Howard, he can only try to limit him. Gasol with his interior passing is going to make Howard even better. Nash is going to have to go up against a pretty good defender in WB, but still Nash probably will not struggle offensively (he very rarely does). If MWP is sinking 3s like he did in Houston they're pretty much unbeatable.

Mr. LA
09-28-2012, 11:38 PM
They won 4-1. That's not barely beating us. I mean, I 100% agree about our team being different but let's not get too cocky and starting saying we'll smash everyone when we don't even know how they'll play together. Let them do the players' game do the talking; not us.

Sounds good too me but I need this damn season to start already

heyman321
09-28-2012, 11:43 PM
Awww yeah Raptors way higher than expected.

Lakeshow24KB
09-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Sounds good too me but I need this damn season to start already

Haha yessir! I've never been so anticipated for a season.

JLynn943
09-28-2012, 11:56 PM
I really hope the Kings aren't that bad. I'm not expecting playoffs, but if all the offseason training for Tyreke and Cousins pays off, maybe there will be something to play for late in the season. I won't get my hopes up though.

nickdymez
09-29-2012, 12:03 AM
I really hope the Kings aren't that bad. I'm not expecting playoffs, but if all the offseason training for Tyreke and Cousins pays off, maybe there will be something to play for late in the season. I won't get my hopes up though.

Good idea bro

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 12:27 AM

Nash does solve it. He can't guard anyone, but he can't be guarded either. If you really don't think the Lakers upgraded exponentially at PG, which I know you don't believe, you are insane.

Agreed. But I think the Lakers gave themselves a short window to be better than the Thunder, considering the ages of Nash, Kobe, and Gasol.

Not arguing this point. Simply saying the Lakers upgraded slightly at C, and big time at PG.

Well, we don't want to do a >/< thing, that is for idiots. Fact is, the Lakers upgraded big time, while the Thunder stayed the same, albeit getting better from a maturity standpoint.

Perry ran like a girl from competition. Just throwing that out there.

Look, I think OKC should get the respect as the #2 team in power rankings, but I am not losing sleep over the heavily upgraded Lakers beating them out.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 12:31 AM
holy ****, am I arguing FOR the Lakers?

ink
09-29-2012, 02:21 AM
holy ****, am I arguing FOR the Lakers?

It's hard not to unless they prove themselves unworthy. But on paper at least they look formidable.

Kashmir13579
09-29-2012, 02:47 AM
Knicks should be higher obvs

jmoney85
09-29-2012, 02:56 AM
knicks fans are super butt hurt.... hilarious

jmoney85
09-29-2012, 02:58 AM

Yeah...no.

how does joe johnson warrant being "past his prime"

Baller1
09-29-2012, 04:01 AM
Nash does solve it. He can't guard anyone, but he can't be guarded either. If you really don't think the Lakers upgraded exponentially at PG, which I know you don't believe, you are insane.

Agreed. But I think the Lakers gave themselves a short window to be better than the Thunder, considering the ages of Nash, Kobe, and Gasol.

Not arguing this point. Simply saying the Lakers upgraded slightly at C, and big time at PG.

Well, we don't want to do a >/< thing, that is for idiots. Fact is, the Lakers upgraded big time, while the Thunder stayed the same, albeit getting better from a maturity standpoint.

Look, I think OKC should get the respect as the #2 team in power rankings, but I am not losing sleep over the heavily upgraded Lakers beating them out.

Look, I'm not losing sleep over it either... But that doesn't mean I'm just going to crown LA the best of the West because they had a good offseason. Just last season I said that standing pat was the best move for the team, and they improved from being a WCF team to a Finals team.

I'm aware of the Lakers' improvements this offseason, but I don't think their moves have helped them leapfrog a team that is younger, faster, and is one of the few teams that can match LA talent-wise position by position. Like you said, the whole >/=/< argument is ridiculous... But if we were to put it in that childish, simplistic context, then it's close to even.

This is the most simplistic way I can put it: I'll take the healthly, youthful, proven team over the newly formed, injury-prone, aged team.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-29-2012, 04:28 AM
Theyre solid, but the Sixers are a bit too high.

Guppyfighter
09-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Dwight does make the Lakers better, but the age thing makes it hard to make me place the Lakers higher than 3. As hard it is to imagine, Wrestbrook, Durant, and anyone under 25 will improve. They have not reached their peaks, yet.

Lakers on the other hand (Excluding Dwight) are very, very old. And Nash is wonderful and great and can do all these things, but there is an obvious decline and as you get older there is more chance of an exponential drop off. Kobe is great as well, but if you check his PER he is also clearly in decline. Metta World Peace is garbage. If you look at the PER of each player last year, the Lakers win the PER battle by .1 point. If you project declines and improvement suddenly the Thunder is slightly better.

Either way, the battles between the Lakers/Thunder should be ****ing awesome and I really can't wait.

ldawg
09-29-2012, 06:42 AM
This person must really love Bynum because Philly is 5 slots to high.

likemystylez
09-29-2012, 10:36 AM

LMAO- well if they kept their same roster you might have a point. They added two future hall of famers (one of which is currently a top 5 player in the league in the prime of his carreer)

LanceUpperCut
09-29-2012, 11:10 AM
Overall pretty good list but Sixers, Nets and hornets are to high well Bulls, cavs and possibly the knicks to low.

Baller1
09-29-2012, 11:59 AM
LMAO- well if they kept their same roster you might have a point. They added two future hall of famers (one of which is currently a top 5 player in the league in the prime of his carreer)

Maybe you should read through the thread a little bit more.

nickdymez
09-29-2012, 01:49 PM
Look, I'm not losing sleep over it either... But that doesn't mean I'm just going to crown LA the best of the West because they had a good offseason. Just last season I said that standing pat was the best move for the team, and they improved from being a WCF team to a Finals team.

I'm aware of the Lakers' improvements this offseason, but I don't think their moves have helped them leapfrog a team that is younger, faster, and is one of the few teams that can match LA talent-wise position by position. Like you said, the whole >/=/< argument is ridiculous... But if we were to put it in that childish, simplistic context, then it's close to even.

This is the most simplistic way I can put it: I'll take the healthly, youthful, proven team over the newly formed, injury-prone, aged team.

Position by position? center? Shooting guard? Power forward? really?:facepalm:

ink
09-29-2012, 02:55 PM

They traded him to Philly. ;)

Which of their starters is injury-PRONE. Dwight was injured and had surgery but that doesn't make him injury PRONE. Nash has worked with a bad back for about a decade, hardly ever missing a game. Kobe hardly ever missed a game, playing through hand injuries, etc. I don't even regard Pau as injury prone. He's played no less than 60+ games for his entire career and his injuries are pretty typical considering the stresses on a big man's body. At the start of any season I don't expect these players to go down, not like I did with Bynum for example.

Guppyfighter
09-29-2012, 03:07 PM
Old players will need to sit out. Tim Duncan missed games by the admission of Popovich of him being old. Nash, Kobe will rest games because they just can't ball like they used to.

smith&wesson
09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
cant wait to see nash and howard in purple and gold.

TheSource
09-29-2012, 03:30 PM
I wouldn't put Clippers above Celtics at this point.

More-Than-Most
09-29-2012, 03:35 PM

Posts like this make me want to sex you right now Ink :clap:

ColtsSpursTerps
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM
love the caption for the Spurs :) gives me chills honestly

More-Than-Most
09-29-2012, 03:37 PM

My God Hawk you as well Lol.... He is not a Good Defender by any means but he is nowhere as bad as people make him out to be... He takes charges and does do things on defense to help the team out... Again he is not good but he is nowhere near as bad as everyone says.

Ebbs
09-29-2012, 03:44 PM

Slightly different team now man.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 04:22 PM
[QUOTE=baller101200;23769439]Look, I'm not losing sleep over it either... But that doesn't mean I'm just going to crown LA the best of the West because they had a good offseason. Just last season I said that standing pat was the best move for the team, and they improved from being a WCF team to a Finals team.

Sure, I agree that standing pat (though the only thing they COULD do) was the right way, and they will improve regardless seeing as their best 4 players are all under 25.

It is. But I will take the dominant frontcourt, and the addition of Nash is just huge man. Huge. Their PG play allowed/forced Kobe to play hero ball the majority of the time. Nash will pull that option away from the Lakers. Not even Kobe will question Nash's leadership skills on the floor. That has always been Kobe's biggest fault. His ability to trust his teammates. Nash brings instant credibility to a position they sorely need.

I don't think your opinion is wrong per say. But I will take a Nash led offense with huge weapons over any team out west this season. THIS season.

I guess we will see this year. OKC winning the west wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 04:25 PM
My God Hawk you as well Lol.... He is not a Good Defender by any means but he is nowhere as bad as people make him out to be... He takes charges and does do things on defense to help the team out... Again he is not good but he is nowhere near as bad as everyone says.

He is fine as a team defender, meaning he doesn't get out of position, but Nash is a really bad defender. Always has been. His complete offensive dominance offsets it, but its the only reason Nash has never been a top 3-4 player in the league.

My point overall way, last year the Lakers were basically losing the PG battle nightly. This season they will be winning it most nights. That alone is a huge difference, along with the fact that Nash is arguably the best playmaker in the NBA when he has weapons.

More-Than-Most
09-29-2012, 06:26 PM
He is fine as a team defender, meaning he doesn't get out of position, but Nash is a really bad defender. Always has been. His complete offensive dominance offsets it, but its the only reason Nash has never been a top 3-4 player in the league.

My point overall way, last year the Lakers were basically losing the PG battle nightly. This season they will be winning it most nights. That alone is a huge difference, along with the fact that Nash is arguably the best playmaker in the NBA when he has weapons.

Completely agree... I am not sure how anyone can argue this but they will try... My god I feel dirty arguing for the lakers

More-Than-Most
09-29-2012, 06:29 PM
Also I am not sure why anyone is angry or upset about the lakers being 2...How is it not expected? This is a new year and its hard to Judge teams on last year with all the changes made so putting team ahead of other teams because of who they added and how they look on paper is expected.... I would have the heat one of course but would not have been surprised if the lakers were ranked ahead of them in the power rankings. They look amazing on paper and it will likely translate to the court... As good as the thunder are how could you not put a team with Nash/Howard/Paul/Kobe ahead of them?

JNA17
09-29-2012, 07:16 PM
but its the only reason Nash has never been a top 3-4 player in the league.

He did win two MVPs. Does that make him the best player ever to never be the best player to win MVP? 0_0

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
He did win two MVPs. Does that make him the best player ever to never be the best player to win MVP? 0_0

we both know, there have been many flawed MVP awards, or at the very least, the best player in the NBA has not won the MVP multiple times.

Hawkeye15
09-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Completely agree... I am not sure how anyone can argue this but they will try... My god I feel dirty arguing for the lakers

I feel like I need to take a shower every time I stand up for the Lakers.

KnicksR4Real
09-29-2012, 09:20 PM
Knicks lol

Ill21
09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Knicks lol

Don't say that, hawkeye is in this thread, he will bash the Knicks and when you try to argue your point he will just ***** and give you an infraction

More-Than-Most
09-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Don't say that, hawkeye is in this thread, he will bash the Knicks and when you try to argue your point he will just ***** and give you an infraction

To be fair the arguments he makes about the knicks are logical and backed by statistical evidence :shrug:

Kobe2324
09-29-2012, 09:58 PM

Perhaps you havn't heard, we got Dwight, Nash, Jamison and Meeks, Miami is just holding on to that #1 spot but trust me that will change quickly! lol

LAKERMANIA
09-29-2012, 10:01 PM

:laugh2:

ldawg
09-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Perhaps you havn't heard, we got Dwight, Nash, Jamison and Meeks, Miami is just holding on to that #1 spot but trust me that will change quickly! lolMiami is pretty deep to but they are small. My guess is they will speed the game up and open the floor with shooters to open the lane.

knicks=love
09-29-2012, 11:27 PM

in before you get infracted for this

ink
09-30-2012, 12:01 AM

Maybe the 00's Lakers but I could stand up for the Magic-Kareem Lakers anytime anywhere.

C-Style
09-30-2012, 01:19 AM
I would not put Lakers above Thunder but that's just me

naps
09-30-2012, 02:04 AM
Switch 2 and 3 and move the Bulls up. How easily people forget how good the Bulls were even without Rose :facepalm:

Hawkeye15
09-30-2012, 02:37 PM

The sensitivity level of some fan bases is ridiculous. Let's see...

Last preseason, I said the Knicks would finish with the 7th seed. Where did they finish?

This preseason, I have said the Heat, Celtics, and Pacers are the top 3 seeds, and the Knicks, Nets, Sixers, and Bulls will fight for seeds 4-7.

Where is the bashing? Where is the hate some of you Knicks fans claim I have for your team? Is it the Melo stuff? Where I question his overall impact on his teams win column, despite a ton of evidence stating I am correct, and that he is yet another polarizing scorer who doesn't help his teams win at a high level?

Sensitivity. You are guilty of it with this attempted dig.

Hawkeye15
09-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Maybe the 00's Lakers but I could stand up for the Magic-Kareem Lakers anytime anywhere.

For sure. Look at my sig....haha

DanG
09-30-2012, 04:20 PM
Heat
OKC
Lakers
Celtics
Spurs

Guppyfighter
01-22-2013, 04:53 AM
Bump