PDA

View Full Version : Keyon Dooling Explains Retirement; Admits To Being Sexually Abused

Punk
09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
"It just all came to a head. To be honest with you, I blocked a lot of things out of my life. Iím a man whoís been abused, sexually, emotionally, mentally. Iíve been abused in my life, and thereís so many guys around the NBA who have been abused and I know it because Iíve been their therapist. I didnít even have the courage because I blocked it out so much that I couldnít even share that . . .

ďIt took literally a meltdown for everybody to see how serious I was about not playing ball anymore."

But he was absolutely serious.

"For so long Iíve always denied myself and what I feel for others, in particular my family of origin and my wife and my children and my friends who I really trust," he said.

http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Long-ago-abuse-and-years-of-repressing-t?blockID=780055&feedID=3352
Wow. Much respect to him and It's really sad to hear what really goes on in the lives of these players before they enter the league. It explains why so many have issues off the court.

SteBO
09-27-2012, 10:11 PM
I would've never known such a class act like Keyon could ever go through something remotely close to this. Kudos to him. A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

Jenceman
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
It's a shame that there is such a stigma on Men being sexually abused. They're supposed to just 'sack up' and move on. I'm a victim myself and I still get bad triggers of what happened, even though I was drugged up pretty badly.

Monta is beast
09-27-2012, 10:20 PM
It's a shame that there is such a stigma on Men being sexually abused. They're supposed to just 'sack up' and move on. I'm a victim myself and I still get bad triggers of what happened, even though I was drugged up pretty badly.

Respect bro.

DoMeFavors
09-27-2012, 10:28 PM
I feel bad that happened to him, but I just dont like the guy and glad he is retired.

celtics 34
09-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Wow. Much respect to him and It's really sad to hear what really goes on in the lives of these players before they enter the league. It explains why so many have issues off the court.

damn never would i have thought he went through that.

rocket
09-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Is he coming out the closet? And there was many others in the NBA sexually abused? WTF

"For so long I’ve always denied myself and what I feel for others,

meloman1592
09-27-2012, 10:38 PM
Is he coming out the closet? And there was many others in the NBA sexually abused? WTF

I dont think he's coming out the closet per say but i would like to know if this sexual abuse is something in his personal life or something that went on in the locker rooms (not literally in the locker rooms but w/ other nba players)

DoMeFavors
09-27-2012, 10:40 PM
I dont think he's coming out the closet per say but i would like to know if this sexual abuse is something in his personal life or something that went on in the locker rooms (not literally in the locker rooms but w/ other nba players)

Yeah the showers

tredigs
09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
The encouraging thing to hear from a pretty damn unfortunate stated retirement is that a pickup in national dialogue on this type of abuse will hopefully help give kids the courage to know it's OK to speak up immediately when something happens. I cannot even fathom the fear and subsequent emotional disengagement/trauma an abused kid has to deal with throughout their life. And a lot of the reason that they deal with it is because it has long been shunned by schooling and mainstream media alike.

I have a huge amount of respect for Dooling in saying something.

This is the type of ignorance that helps prevent a lot of kids and later adults from saying something when they're abused (he talked about sexual AND mental/emotional, btw). What specifically about his statement makes you think he's coming out of the closet anyway?

celtics 34
09-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Yeah the showers

thats real mature :facepalm:

rocket
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
The encouraging thing to hear from a pretty damn unfortunate stated retirement is that a pickup in national dialogue on this type of abuse will hopefully help give kids the courage to know it's OK to speak up immediately when something happens. I cannot even fathom the fear and subsequent emotional disengagement/trauma an abused kid has to deal with throughout their life. And a lot of the reason that they deal with it is because it has long been shunned by schooling and mainstream media alike.

I have a huge amount of respect for Dooling in saying something.

This is the type of ignorance that helps prevent a lot of kids and later adults from saying something when they're abused (he talked about sexual AND mental/emotional, btw). What specifically about his statement makes you think he's coming out of the closet anyway?

For so long Iíve always denied myself and what I feel for others

Maybe that? :facepalm:

DoMeFavors
09-27-2012, 10:47 PM
thats real mature :facepalm:

Here we go being over dramatic, how is it immature if im stating what could be a reality. Maybe others like you say its immature if I bring it up and wave it off and thats why nothings be done about it.

Gram
09-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Yeah the showers

:facepalm:

MU and UW Fan
09-27-2012, 10:50 PM
Why the talk about coming out of the closet? Straight guys do get sexually abused ya know.

Punk
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
He clearly says he was sexually abused in the past as a child/teen like other NBA players who he talked too.

That doesn't NOT make him gay. It means he probably suffers from depression and other disorders that prevent proper relationships. It can also cause men to have sexual attacks with females to wash away the abuse.

Key Example: Lil Wayne? Sexually abused as a child, teen and adult. What does he do the most? Rap about having sex with women.

I'm pretty sure he means trusting his friends, family, teammates, other people in life and having the courage to speak about it when he said "For so long Iíve always denied myself and what I feel for others"

HansumJay
09-27-2012, 10:58 PM

That comment could be more about him not showing affection to his family members and loved ones for fear of being considered less than masculine or even thought of us as molesting his own children for hugging and kissing them

Matrix3132
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
Here we go being over dramatic, how is it immature if im stating what could be a reality. Maybe others like you say its immature if I bring it up and wave it off and thats why nothings be done about it.

A lot of things "could be a reality"

HansumJay
09-27-2012, 10:59 PM
He clearly says he was sexually abused in the past as a child/teen like other NBA players who he talked too.

That doesn't NOT make him gay. It means he probably suffers from depression and other disorders that prevent proper relationships. It can also cause men to have sexual attacks with females to wash away the abuse.

Key Example: Lil Wayne? Sexually abused as a child, teen and adult. What does he do the most? Rap about having sex with women.

I'm pretty sure he means trusting his friends, family, teammates, other people in life and having the courage to speak about it when he said "For so long Iíve always denied myself and what I feel for others"

you my friend are friggin brilliant!

tredigs
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM

I took that clearly as emotional denial, especially since the part you cut out was "my wife and family". It's possible, but definitely not the way I took it. And regardless, it would be a secondary point to the more important issue here imo.

*Superman*
09-27-2012, 11:09 PM
Keyon was great guy, loved his energy when he was on the Magic. Seems like an even better person off the court and I wish him the best.

Chill_Will_24
09-27-2012, 11:10 PM

Double negative. So you are saying he IS gay?

rocket
09-27-2012, 11:17 PM
I took that clearly as emotional denial, especially since the part you cut out was "my wife and family". It's possible, but definitely not the way I took it. And regardless, it would be a secondary point to the more important issue here imo.

you never know... could be more to this story

sixer04fan
09-28-2012, 01:03 AM

This

Ebbs
09-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Brutal

hugepatsfan
09-28-2012, 07:25 AM
http://www.csnne.com/basketball-boston-celtics/celtics-talk/Long-ago-abuse-and-years-of-repressing-t?blockID=780055&feedID=3352

That's a full interview. I'm not ashamed to say that reading that had me choked up a bit. So sad.

xcrisisx
09-28-2012, 07:36 AM
sad

JasonJohnHorn
09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
I hope he finds happiness in his post-NBA life.

Captain Moroni
09-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I feel bad that happened to him, but I just dont like the guy and glad he is retired.

why would anyone expect anything different from you.

Captain Moroni
09-28-2012, 02:05 PM

alot of Gay men were sexually abused by men when they were children.

Captain Moroni
09-28-2012, 02:10 PM
very sad news for Kenyon, he is a quality man. This happens much too often, And these evil people who do such things will answer to God. Justice will be done.

bagwell368
09-28-2012, 02:22 PM
Why the talk about coming out of the closet? Straight guys do get sexually abused ya know.

Not only that - females can be perps too.

bagwell368
09-28-2012, 02:24 PM

More sexually abusive men are hetero or prefer hetero - or have no preference - since it isn't actually a sex act as much as its related to power and control.

bagwell368
09-28-2012, 02:27 PM
very sad news for Kenyon, he is a quality man. This happens much too often, And these evil people who do such things will answer to God. Justice will be done.

It's my experience that God is awful damn slow in these sorts of cases.

dnewguy
09-28-2012, 02:28 PM
I am glad I grew up with loving parents and a community that look out for us kids, I can't imagine being sexually molested and feeling helpless as a kid. I have never been bullied by my peers either and I am one of the smallest dudes if not the smallest in my class back then. Well, I was beat up by a girl once with a the chalk board eraser but I knew then that you dont put your hands on a woman, no matter what. I cried later in my bedroom when no one was looking...arghh, just looking back.

bagwell368
09-28-2012, 02:28 PM

And many more gay men were not abused at all.