PDA

View Full Version : Do the Lakers Have More Pressure than Miami or OKC to Win This Yr's Title?

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-27-2012, 08:32 PM
Even if the Heat don't win next season, it's not all doomsday for them as their core is in their prime.

OKC is just so young.

The Lakers are old and the window is closing on both Nash and Kobe. I don't think they can try to do what Miami did and be "Oh okay, we lost in the first yr together, so let's do it next yr with 1 yr under our belt".

I don't think the Lakers because of their age and Kobe and Nash on their way out can afford that. Do you agree that if the Lakers want to win a title, it has to be THIS YR as their best shot?

Please discuss.

JNoel
09-27-2012, 08:36 PM
Yes Lakers have the most pressure. Also knowing the fan base and a few casual fans, they are expecting nothing short of a championship.

SteBO
09-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Interesting question. Steve Nash, despite his age, has always kept himself in great shape and his ability to playmake and shoot the ball hasn't waned to this point and I personally don't see it diminishing completely until another 2-3 years or so. Kobe always finds a way to adjust his game to still be more than effective. Dwight will be Dwight. Pau Gasol is the concern.

With the offseason the Lakers had, pressure is going to come along with it. No going around it, since it's championship or bust. But personally, I'll hold off on that until next year when they can get better players in the offseason. (I say this because I have no doubt that Dwight is going to re-up with LA)

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Interesting question. Steve Nash, despite his age, has always kept himself in great shape and his ability to playmake and shoot the ball hasn't waned to this point and I personally don't see it diminishing completely until another 2-3 years or so. Kobe always finds a way to adjust his game to still be more than effective. Dwight will be Dwight. Pau Gasol is the concern.

With the offseason the Lakers had, pressure is going to come along with it. No going around it, since it's championship or bust. But personally, I'll hold off on that until next year when they can get better players in the offseason. (I say this because I have no doubt that Dwight is going to re-up with LA)

If Pau plays like he has the last 2 yrs, then the Lakers will probably amnesty him next summer before the repeater tax of 2013-2014 kicks in or if a star is available, the Lakers can make a trade using Pau's expiring (contract expires in 2014) to a team that has an unhappy star who is trying to shed salary.

JasonJohnHorn
09-27-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd say they are all equally pressured to win. OKC has to win now, because with contracts due and all their top players (Ibaka, Westbrook, Harden and obviously Durant) commanding huge salaries, it is going to be impossible to keep them together, and OKC doesn't pull in the kind of money that the Lakers do. The Lakers and the Knicks could afford that roster, no other team in the NBA could. OKC HAS TO WIN NOW!

LAL needs to win no too. Nash is old, and though he played at a high level last season, nobody can expect him to keep that up for much longer. At best he's got two solid seasons as a starter left. And LAL also feels the pressure to win now because they only have Howard under contract for one year. He may leave in the offseason and then all they will have is Gasol, Bryant and Nash. So yeah, LAL is under a lot of pressure to win now.

Miami is also under a lot of pressure, partly because of the 'not one, not two, not three, not four, not five... ect... ' speech that LBJ gave. They only signed four year contracts, and when those contracts are up, like OKC, it is going to be hard to keep them together with the last CBA. I don't think Miami can afford to keep them together. Three players will be taking up almost all of your salary cap. It's hard to build around a good core like that when the only people you can get to sign are old vets taking the vet min. so they can chase a ring.

C-Style
09-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Yes Lakers have the most pressure. Also knowing the fan base and a few casual fans, they are expecting nothing short of a championship.

Why? They haven't even played a game and did not predict championships.

JNA17
09-27-2012, 08:52 PM
Yes.

Steve Nash despite how great he is still, he's at a point in his career where he won't accept looking back in his resume and not seeing a championship next to his name like Stockton.

Dwight Howard is now on the best team he has ever been on and now can show what he can really do with actual support other than just shooters.

Pau doesn't have Bynum clogging the lane and will be a much better player alone with Nash handling the offense.

Kobe now doesn't need to play hero ball unlike last year. And desires that 6th ring.

The current bench is now the best it is ever been in the last 2 years, especially with the addition of Jamison.

Basically for them, its championship or bust. And if its bust, it would be a huge disappointment with a team like this. The current team also has a considerable less life span than teams like OKC. Which is why 2014 is going to be huge but right now, this year and next is huge for LA.

ATX
09-27-2012, 08:55 PM
I respect the question, and no disrespect to rational Laker fans, and knowing the team entertains the largest fan base and thus many bad apples, yes...and it's because so many LA fans here on PSD have stated the championship is in the bag. Too many believe Miami and OKC, not mention a few other title hungry franchises stand ZERO chance. The immense disrespect these fans have portrayed has brought this on themselves...Yes, they have the most pressure, at least to the LA fans...

Miami put the cart before the horse as well, and it wasn't guaranteed either..It took being humbled, and a lot of hard work. Championships aren't a given, and please spare me the rigged BS.

JNoel
09-27-2012, 08:56 PM

It's just the general consensus among certain Laker fans. Also World War did make a statement about beating the all-time record.

SteBO
09-27-2012, 08:57 PM
You don't get it do you. You guys signed Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in one offseason. I couldn't give two ****s about what guys say before a season, the pressure was going to be there regardless. The Lakers are in no different position. The pressure is there.

Oh, and have you forgotten what Ron Artest said about going 73-9? I don't have a problem with it at all, but it's just food for thought.

DoMeFavors
09-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Kind of because if they dont win soon Kobe, Pau, Nash will be retired and Dwight might never have a chance at a ring and Nash's time is running out so I say yes.

ThunderousDemon
09-27-2012, 09:01 PM
You don't get it do you. You guys signed Dwight Howard and Steve Nash in one offseason. I couldn't give two ****s about what guys say before a season, the pressure was going to be there regardless. The Lakers are in no different position. The pressure is there.

Oh, and have you forgotten what Ron Artest said about going 73-9? I don't have a problem with it at all, but it's just food for thought.

You're taking the word of crazy man serious? :pity:

Andrew32
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
Yeah I think they do.

Nash is 38... eventually everyone loses to father time no matter how good their conditioning is.

Kobe is 34 but he is older in NBA years and will most likely continue to decline with age.

Gasol is still fine. (how old is he?)
Dwight is still fine.

So I mean... I don't think they necessarily can't contend past this year but their overall window doesn't look too big.

SteBO
09-27-2012, 09:02 PM
You're taking the word of crazy man serious? :pity:
:laugh2: He DID say it though......

dtmagnet
09-27-2012, 09:03 PM
If the Lakers don't win a championship with that starting five then they are complete failures.

ThunderousDemon
09-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Kind of because if they dont win soon Kobe, Pau, Nash will be retired and Dwight might never have a chance at a ring and Nash's time is running out so I say yes.

:rolleyes: The Lakers, that is all.

TheSource
09-27-2012, 09:16 PM
OKC probably has the least pressure to win a championship at this point, but I think it's pretty much equal when it comes down to Heat or Lakers. Both of them will be heavily criticized depending on how they go down in the playoffs, an upset will just be an embarrassment for either teams.

Winning probably means more to the Lakers at this point as their core will only last so long, and if they go down in an upset there's a chance Dwight will not re-sign. As far as OKC goes, this is another experimental year for them to see what works and what doesn't, though I wouldn't be surprised if they make it to the Finals again.

ATX
09-27-2012, 09:25 PM
When it comes to the teams, I'd agree that the pressure is even between Miami and LA. Their pressure is head and shoulders above any other team.

C-Style
09-27-2012, 09:53 PM

I don't think you're the one that get's it!! Heat have a team just as good as the Lakers and who their best player says they will win multiple championships.

Saying a team is gonna win 73 games is a lot different than saying your not gonna win 7 but more championships... get it?

shep33
09-27-2012, 10:00 PM
Miami will always have pressure. If they don't win it this year, I can already see some wacko critics be like "they lucked out with the lockout". Whether we like it or not, those people will be out there in the media (Skip Bayless)

ATX
09-27-2012, 10:01 PM
I don't think you're the one that get's it!! Heat have a team just as good as the Lakers and who their best player says they will win multiple championships.

Saying a team is gonna win 73 games is a lot different than saying your not gonna win 7 but more championships... get it?

He (LBJ) was placating the fans obviously. Everyone has crucified him for this, but come on...He was speaking to the crowd, and was obviously and rightly extremely excited about the prospect of playing with Wade and Bosh. He was caught up in the moment.

Bruno
09-27-2012, 10:05 PM
the most pressure is always on the champions. always.

nothing like a title defense.

SteBO
09-27-2012, 10:06 PM

Yup. My point flew over your head. Who cares what LeBron said, but I'm not going to delve into that foolishness anymore. You guys signed Nash and Howard. To go along with Kobe, that's going to come with just as much pressure as Miami will face in defending their crown. Beating a dead horse over something that was said over two years ago isn't changing that "fact".

The Heat are every bit as good as the Lakers if not better, so the pressure as far as I'm concerned is equal. Miami won their championship. Now they're looking to defend it, which is just as likely as LAL or OKC winning it all.

Hotone1401
09-27-2012, 10:14 PM
All 3 teams have the same pressure? I'm pretty sure they all equally feel the same pressure. Each team expects to win and anything short of that would be a huge disappointed regardless.

DoMeFavors
09-27-2012, 10:17 PM
:rolleyes: The Lakers, that is all.

Kobe was a great recruiter and most stars are on different teams and will probably remain there.

THAT IS ALL

JNoel
09-27-2012, 10:26 PM

Winning 7 championships is easier than the sheer prospect of winning 72 games.

Hotone1401
09-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Winning 7 championships is easier than the sheer prospect of winning 72 games.

Really??? :facepalm:

TheSource
09-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Really??? :facepalm:

To put it into perspective, only 1 team has been able to win more than 7 rings in the same era, and that is obviously the Boston Celtics winning 11 out of 13.

One team has basically won 73 games in a season and that is the 95-96 Bulls (if I'm not mistaken about the year), with 72 games won and 10 games lost.

But what he needs to take into consideration is that the competition then was not even close to what it is now, there will never be the same level of dominance like that any time soon. And as far as winning 70+ games goes now, in the 90s they would play every game until the end of the season whereas now-a-days coaches would give players a break at the end of the season when they know they've already clinched the spot their aiming for.

Hotone1401
09-27-2012, 10:57 PM
To put it into perspective, only 1 team has been able to win more than 7 rings in the same era, and that is obviously the Boston Celtics winning 11 out of 13.

One team has basically won 73 games in a season and that is the 95-96 Bulls (if I'm not mistaken about the year), with 72 games won and 10 games lost.

But what he needs to take into consideration is that the competition then was not even close to what it is now, there will never be the same level of dominance like that any time soon. And as far as winning 70+ games goes now, in the 90s they would play every game until the end of the season whereas now-a-days coaches would give players a break at the end of the season when they know they've already clinched the spot their aiming for.

That's absurd. If that was the case then why didn't the Bulls win 7 championships as well during their era??

I swear I will never understand the reasoning of some of the people on these boards.

TheSource
09-27-2012, 11:00 PM
That's absurd. If that was the case then why didn't the Bulls win 7 championships as well during their era??

I swear I will never understand the reasoning of some of the people on these boards.

If what was the case? I'm not agreeing with him at all, I'm just stating why he would think that.

And plus, Chicago probably would've won 7 championships if MJ didn't take a break to play baseball.

da ThRONe
09-27-2012, 11:06 PM
Yes. Howard isn't signed on long term. If he leaves after one year the Lakers will be in serious trouble. I don't know if it's title or bust for Howard, but I have to image anything less than a finals appearance won't sit well with Dwight on an aging team. Gasol 32, Bryant 34, Artest 33, and Nash 38. Howard is the only 20something on that roster.

Jarvo
09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
If the Lakers don't win a championship with that starting five then they are complete failures.

:clap: Lakers are under alot pressure

ChongInc.
09-28-2012, 12:07 AM
obviously.

Avenged
09-28-2012, 12:19 AM
Maybe..

I mean there are a lot of people (a lot here on PSD alone outside of the LAL fan base) who are not that much worried about the Lakers due to age and Dwight's injury. They certainly have a lot of pressure but it also depends on how realistically good you think they are.

amos1er
09-28-2012, 01:15 AM
Miami just won a title.

OKC is still young.

Kobe, Nash, and Gasol are on their last hurrah and only have 2 years left on their contracts...obviously the Lakers are under more pressure.

Ebbs
09-28-2012, 04:43 AM
Absolutely anything short of a championship is a monumental failure

NYYCowboys
09-28-2012, 05:12 AM
I would still say them and Miami are tied. They have a lot of pressure, but once LBJ and co made the proclamation "not 1 not 2 not 3...." they have the pressure to win every year. If you think 1 title will take the pressure off you're wrong.

thenaj17
09-28-2012, 07:12 AM
:laugh2: He DID say it though......

No he didn't! He said it was an aim, not what they would definitely do.

Dade County
09-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Even if the Heat don't win next season, it's not all doomsday for them as their core is in their prime.

OKC is just so young.

The Lakers are old and the window is closing on both Nash and Kobe. I don't think they can try to do what Miami did and be "Oh okay, we lost in the first yr together, so let's do it next yr with 1 yr under our belt".

I don't think the Lakers because of their age and Kobe and Nash on their way out can afford that. Do you agree that if the Lakers want to win a title, it has to be THIS YR as their best shot?

Please discuss.

This is unacceptable logic.... Lbj already gave away championship ( he was following orders ).... I know this thread is about the Lakers, but if the HEAT don't repeat/3peat it would be a very BIG problem; they have 2 of the top for players on the same team, and they actually have a bench now.

The HEAT can't give away anymore rings .... OKC is too good and they are coming.

The Lakers have time to reload with another super star two years down the line ( thats how the Lakers role, they get the stars, we just have to deal with it ). I see not winning it in the next 2 years a big thing for Nash and Howard, I really don't count Kobe because he is a Superstar so his Logic of winning another ring is a normal; he wants it all, and I respect that, but his time is done.

I feel that OKC and the Clippers will be too strong this upcoming season... But I do feel that 2 out of 3 of these teams will make it to the WCF... Lakers, OKC or the Clippers.

The Clippers are a lock to make it to the WCF ( Basketball reason's ):D

The league can't afford Cp3 not resigning with the Clippers, that will be the end of all this Blake Griffin hype, because the Clippers wouldn't be contending in the west with out Cp3.

Dade County
09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I would still say them and Miami are tied. They have a lot of pressure, but once LBJ and co made the proclamation "not 1 not 2 not 3...." they have the pressure to win every year. If you think 1 title will take the pressure off you're wrong.

It's not pressure... It's reality :cool:

They just have to do their Jobs, and the rest/refs will take care of it's self "lol".

marferrer
09-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Advanced age. Hype. All-Star line up... yeah they have the most pressure to win it all this season.

beasted86
09-28-2012, 10:07 AM
Yes, without a doubt the Lakers are in win now mode. So much is on the line. First, its the ownership willingness to accept less profit by paying a much heavier luxury tax. If they don't win, I guarantee that willingness will go down. Next, the core of players are older. Nash, Jamison, Kobe, Pau, Artest all these guys skills are slowly going down... they won't keep signing guys for the $3M mle to make up for the losses in talent. And lastly, Dwight's extension largely depends on how they do. I think he is resigning regardless, but how long he signs and what type of demands he makes before signing definitely depends on if they win. If they lose and Kobe or some other player causes conflict, you can guarantee its going to be one of those "I'm not signing unless you get that guy out of here" type of deals.

monty77
09-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Yes, there are too reasons to say another thing. It's insure that Howard continue like a Laker Man next year, so this year could be the only chance they have to win championship.

Furthermore, the other main players (Gasol, Kobe & Nash) are very old, and their performance are going to decrease in the coming years. It's impossible they reach 2014 NBA finals without Howard, with Gasol (34), Kobe (36) and Nash (40) if they don't receive further help.

Miami Heat are still the favorite team but if they don't win this years, it's sure that he will enjoy some more opportunities. Although there are no reason to loose after its first championship, big tree will remain together regardless they donīt win.

Moreover, Thunders are the younger of three and the only pressure they have to win is that they maybe loose Harden next summer. The others relevant pieces have long contracts and they're young players.

Howard is the key. But I have listened he want to go to Brooklyn next season and he has showed that he can leave on bad terms a team, like he did with Orlando. Lakers has proved self-confidence signing him, but they have taken a big risk. If they don't achieve resign him next summer, they won't have absolutely anything to do.

3ballbomber
09-28-2012, 10:18 AM
Lebron had to flee to his super friends to win a title in a shortened season and LA have more pressure to win?

Kobe & Nash have already proven themselves. Kobe with his championship rings and Nash w/ his MVP's and a guy w/ the reputation that he has as being one of the best PG's to ever play the game. Howard is another story but he's teamed up w/ grandfathers of the league who are no longer in their prime. If all 3 were in their younger years then the pressure is on. But Miami have more work to do. Lots more work.

RaiderLakersA's
09-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Agreed. I'm definitely starting to get a little antsy for another championship banner. I feel like the window is closing on me, too. :D

SteBO
09-28-2012, 11:28 AM
No he didn't! He said it was an aim, not what they would definitely do.
Meh, whatever. Bottom line is both guys made bold statements and they both don't deserve to be held to it. Especially in 'Bron's case. It's been two years now. Time to get over it.

sp1derm00
09-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I would say so.

Miami has nearly as much pressure considering they only got better with the Ray Allen signing and they're the defending champions with their star players all in their prime.

charlies_angels
09-28-2012, 11:55 AM
lakers have all the pressure here. because kobe is about to retire.

JordansBulls
09-28-2012, 01:25 PM
the most pressure is always on the champions. always.

nothing like a title defense.

OKC will start to feel pressure now as well probably more than Miami.