PDA

View Full Version : Report: Bo Porter new Astros manager

YanksNats1987
09-27-2012, 01:02 AM
Via Ken Rosenthal:

@Ken_Rosenthal

#Nationals 3B coach Bo Porter is the new #Astros manager, sources tell me and @jonmorosi. News conference at 10 a.m. CT tomorrow.

Full story: http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/Houston-Astros-manager-2013-Bo-Porter-Washington-Nationals-third-base-coach-092612

metswon69
09-27-2012, 01:03 AM
I have nothing to say on the Astros because it's irrelevant who their manager is until they improve the talent on that team.

All i have to say is awesome Family Matters sig Yanks..

LakersA's49ers
09-27-2012, 01:07 AM
is he going to finish the season with washington? didnt read the article, im sure it says it in there

Guppyfighter
09-27-2012, 01:08 AM
Instant 90 win team now.

YanksNats1987
09-27-2012, 01:15 AM
I have nothing to say on the Astros because it's irrelevant who their manager is until they improve the talent on that team.

All i have to say is awesome Family Matters sig Yanks..

Why thank you. :hi5:

is he going to finish the season with washington? didnt read the article, im sure it says it in there

One of the DC writers says he'll finish the season out.

Jeffy25
09-27-2012, 09:31 AM
Better not swing 3-0 against the Astros next season when you are ahead.

pacofunk64
09-27-2012, 09:45 AM
Somewhat off topic but I believe this is the same Bo Porter that played college football for the Hawkeyes. Our high school football coach had connections with IA and we would get a lot of their game gear. I had a signed pair of worn Bo Porter football cleats. Pretty sure I threw them away a few years back, lol.

Pinstripe pride
09-27-2012, 10:03 AM
championship!

Nomar
09-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Altuve is going to be a 90 WAR player next year.

RTL
09-27-2012, 11:40 AM
I like the hire actually but hope the Astros actually give someone a chance and realize the rebuilding process. Brad Mills had no shot to succeed in Houston and they seem to go through managers quite frequently.

Giraffes Rule
09-27-2012, 12:54 PM
Somewhat off topic but I believe this is the same Bo Porter that played college football for the Hawkeyes. Our high school football coach had connections with IA and we would get a lot of their game gear. I had a signed pair of worn Bo Porter football cleats. Pretty sure I threw them away a few years back, lol.

Yup, same dude.

I like the hire actually but hope the Astros actually give someone a chance and realize the rebuilding process. Brad Mills had no shot to succeed in Houston and they seem to go through managers quite frequently.
I agree with you. People were clamoring for him to get fired last year and I was one of the few that thought that'd send a bad message to future candidates for the managerial position. According to the Astros, they want Bo Porter for the long haul to see the rebuild all the way through. We'll see, but hopefully this owner has a longer leash than the last owner.

Kelly Gruber
09-27-2012, 02:41 PM
Hopefully they give him some time, because they are in tough for a while now. Moving to the AL will not help. Hopefully they can let things build.

Kind of off topic, but anyone know of any plans for the Astros to change their logo/jerseys for next year? Remember reading something about it then nothing since. Just curious.

Giraffes Rule
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Hopefully they give him some time, because they are in tough for a while now. Moving to the AL will not help. Hopefully they can let things build.

Kind of off topic, but anyone know of any plans for the Astros to change their logo/jerseys for next year? Remember reading something about it then nothing since. Just curious.

IIRC they're going to show their new jerseys in early or mid November. Don't remember the exact date.

MotownWebGuy
09-28-2012, 01:05 PM
Why couldn't this manager selection wait until November? Porter has never managed in the minors or major leagues. It's not like multiple teams were fighting to hire this guy immediately. It's not like Porter will be with the Astros the remaining season - which he won't.

I just don't get the timing with this hiring. Why not wait until the World Series is being played and view the entire list of candidates?

Giraffes Rule
09-28-2012, 06:07 PM
Why couldn't this manager selection wait until November? Porter has never managed in the minors or major leagues. It's not like multiple teams were fighting to hire this guy immediately. It's not like Porter will be with the Astros the remaining season - which he won't.

I just don't get the timing with this hiring. Why not wait until the World Series is being played and view the entire list of candidates?

The only candidates that would be out there after the season that weren't available now would be guys that managed this year and got canned. Then the Astros would be competing with a handful of other teams looking for a manager, presumably ones with more money or a better MLB roster (which is basically everyone).

MiamiBoy77
09-28-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.hahgay.com/