PDA

View Full Version : Would you take a poor defender/elite rebounder OR a poor rebounder/elite defender?

Chronz
09-26-2012, 02:43 PM
Lets say thats all you know about 2 players, which would you take? Positions probably matter here, I know I would be ecstatic with a great defensive PG who couldn't rebound but it gets trickier as you get bigger.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2012, 02:47 PM
totally dependent on their roster, and position.

Avery Bradley for instance would fit one of them.

Gibby23
09-26-2012, 02:48 PM
I will go with the elite rebounder, I think over the course of the game, you would end up with more possessions and limit scoring opportunities for the other team just by getting rebounds.

rapjuicer06
09-26-2012, 02:49 PM
Man, this questions are way too vague

Gibby23
09-26-2012, 02:53 PM
I will go with the elite rebounder, I think over the course of the game, you would end up with more possessions and limit scoring opportunities for the other team just by getting rebounds.

Im only going off big men PF's and C's

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-26-2012, 02:55 PM
If we are talking about centers then its really hard to name a one who is a poor defender but an elite rebounder:confused:

Cal827
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Through the positions:

PG: Elite Defender
SG: Elite Rebounder
SF: Elite Defender
PF: Elite Rebounder
C: Elite Defender

I put PG, SF and C as elite defenders mainly because that would be their responsibility. PG and SF are very, very deep, so having a defender to block off the Derek Roses and Lebron James in the NBA would be excellent. Center mainly, cause they are the last defender, when a guy drives down the lane, they are usually the helper.

SG and PF could be excellent rebounders. SG is there mainly because there aren't as many guys there that could kill you these days... basically Wade, Kobe, Gino, Harden. The first three are good, but after that it drops off a fair bit talent wise. So getting burned by Wade/Kobe/Gino 10 times a year wouldn't be too terrible.

PF is there mainly because, I think it's basically impossible to have an elite defender at the PF position. There are so many variances at PF. It's hard to stop a near 7 footer at the net (Blake, Gasol), but these days, so many of them can also play the stretch and shoot midrange/threes (E.g. K Love, Bargnani, Aldridge, Bosh, Dirk etc). Even the best defenders at the position today like Josh Smith, get burned at a fair rate.

Cocaine is a hell of a drug

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-26-2012, 02:58 PM
the more I read the question the more stupid it gets...no way an elite rebounder is a poor defender.

better question would be average defender/elite rebounder or elite defender average rebounder

mrblisterdundee
09-26-2012, 02:59 PM
As you said, it all depends on position. And I'd take the elite defender, because part of defending is securing the defensive rebounds to keep the other team from getting more scoring opportunities.

xILLN355
09-26-2012, 03:07 PM
the more I read the question the more stupid it gets...no way an elite rebounder is a poor defender.

better question would be average defender/elite rebounder or elite defender average rebounder

kevin love

-Kobe24-TJ19-
09-26-2012, 03:12 PM
kevin love

Love is not a poor defender.

You know elite rebounders normally box out really well and get defensive rebounds...thats part of defense.

Poor defender is for example - Amare, doesnt stand in front of his guy and hasnt heard anything about boxing out

xILLN355
09-26-2012, 03:17 PM

You know elite rebounders normally box out really well and get defensive rebounds...thats part of defense.

Poor defender is for example - Amare, doesnt stand in front of his guy and hasnt heard anything about boxing out

fair enough

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-26-2012, 03:18 PM
Lets say thats all you know about 2 players, which would you take? Positions probably matter here, I know I would be ecstatic with a great defensive PG who couldn't rebound but it gets trickier as you get bigger.

I know you made this thread based on what I said about Kevin Love.

You're Welcome. :D

NYYCowboys
09-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Matters which skill would complement the rest of the roster. For instance if I had an elite defender at center then I would probably want an elite rebounder at PF. That will be me more possessions and more possessions are good.

KNICKS R BACK
09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
i would take the great defender...

Chronz
09-26-2012, 03:49 PM

Keep reading it, the question raised is perfectly coherent

Thats debatable, but whats for sure is that Love USED to be a poor defender. Remember Love a year or 2 ago? He put up better rebounding numbers then, are you really going to try an argue this makes him a better defender?

Not that hard, just Think of a young Love vs a young Sheed or uncle Cliffy

I know you made this thread based on what I said about Kevin Love.

You're Welcome. :D

Ive been meaning to ask this but yes your post reminded me

Swashcuff
09-26-2012, 03:53 PM
I'll go with the elite defensive player.

Oefarmy2005
09-26-2012, 04:00 PM
Like other people have mentioned, the two are closely related. You can't be a great defender without being a good rebounder - if you give up offensive boards, you are not a good defender, and vice-versa. Maybe the question should be would you rather have an elite shot blocker or an elite rebouder?

Chronz
09-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Like other people have mentioned, the two are closely related. You can't be a great defender without being a good rebounder - if you give up offensive boards, you are not a good defender, and vice-versa. Maybe the question should be would you rather have an elite shot blocker or an elite rebouder?
Danny Fortson says hello.

Kashmir13579
09-26-2012, 04:36 PM
Damn i knew this was a Chronz thread when i read it. This is tricky.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Honestly, I'd take the superior defender but poor rebounder. If you can rely on team rebounding, that'd be great, but individual defense and being able to shut people down is quite impressive if you ask me.

Rebounding - effort and good anticipation.

Defense - Fundamentals, moving your feet, staying disciplined.

King41
09-26-2012, 05:11 PM
defense > rebound

dee279
09-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Either way, they are going to be a back up if its a big man. If its a guard or SF, ill take Elite defender.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2012, 06:52 PM
Thats debatable, but whats for sure is that Love USED to be a poor defender. Remember Love a year or 2 ago? He put up better rebounding numbers then, are you really going to try an argue this makes him a better defender?

Not that hard, just Think of a young Love vs a young Sheed or uncle Cliffy

Yeah, Love was carrying the extra weight, on top of knowing he could guard nobody and he wasn't getting pulled. He was better the last year and a half, but is still nothing more then average. He keeps his guy to a low % shooting the ball, doesn't give up second chances, and has worked on close outs as well as keeping his hands active, but he still needs better effort, which is what will turn him from a top 8-9 player into a top 5 player.

Hawkeye15
09-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Danny Fortson says hello.

oh god, that name? haha

b@llhog24
09-26-2012, 07:14 PM
Elite Defense as in individual? Then I'd take the rebounder. But if it's Dwight like defense sans the rebounding then gimme the elite defender.

PleaseBeNice
09-26-2012, 07:32 PM
elite defender easily

Swashcuff
09-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Elite Defense as in individual? Then I'd take the rebounder. But if it's Dwight like defense sans the rebounding then gimme the elite defender.

Danny Fortson or Michael Cooper?

IndyRealist
09-26-2012, 07:42 PM
Elite rebounder. Elite defenders, at every position, are never able to shut down the opponent completely anymore due to rule changes. An elite defender is still going to get smoked 6 times out of 10, even if they do everything right.

Elite rebounders, though, will always limit opponent possessions (defensive rebounds) and get you more possessions (offensive rebounds).

SB75
09-26-2012, 07:55 PM
I don't think their is a wrong or right answer. But Kevin Love/Boris Diaw should be the title of this thread! And before the Kevin Love fans get pissed.... Listen he is a great player offensively and the 2nd best rebounder in the NBA, so there is not hate. But he does suck defensively, I've seen it 1rst hand.

Swashcuff
09-26-2012, 08:01 PM
I don't think their is a wrong or right answer. But Kevin Love/Boris Diaw should be the title of this thread! And before the Kevin Love fans get pissed.... Listen he is a great player offensively and the 2nd best rebounder in the NBA, so there is not hate. But he does suck defensively, I've seen it 1rst hand.

What would Boris have to do with anything he's neither

dnewguy
09-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Won't you just take what you need? Like if you've Howard or K Love, someone that can rebound but sucks at defense wont be your first choice.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-26-2012, 08:05 PM
If we are talking about centers then its really hard to name a one who is a poor defender but an elite rebounder:confused:

Kris Humphries, though he's not a full center. Other players who have a high rebound rate but not great defenders are Jason Thompson, Zaza Pachulia, Marreese Speights just to name a few.

SB75
09-26-2012, 08:30 PM

Not sure if he still is, but at one point Boras was a great defender! Don't know if you have seen him play.

Swashcuff
09-26-2012, 08:47 PM
Not sure if he still is, but at one point Boras was a great defender! Don't know if you have seen him play.

Boris Diaw was NEVER a great defender. I've seen him play.

Ebbs
09-26-2012, 09:24 PM
What are 2 examples?

Chronz
09-26-2012, 09:46 PM

Hess underrated defensively.

KnicksR4Real
09-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Defender, but depends on roster ultimately

Chronz
09-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Damn i knew this was a Chronz thread when i read it. This is tricky.
Pretty simple,

Blake is a good defensive rebounder poor defender. Kmart is a good defender and poor rebounder

Swashcuff
09-26-2012, 09:52 PM

When I think great I think Dennis Rodman. Boris is from that.

Chronz
09-26-2012, 09:55 PM

When I think great I think Dennis Rodman. Boris is from that.
Thats a GOAT defender type to me but yeah great can be stretching it . I thought he was damn good

ChiSox219
09-26-2012, 10:03 PM

Underrated in general

To answer the question, I'd take defense regardless of position. A good defender creates more defensive rebounds anyway.

b@llhog24
09-26-2012, 10:37 PM

Danny Fortson or Michael Cooper?

Overall or just given the scope of the thread?

b@llhog24
09-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Reggie Evans says hi.

Andrew32
09-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Kwame Brown was/is always a pretty good/solid defender but he has never been a very good rebounder.
I'd probably go with the elite defender unless my team really, really lacked any sort or rebounding.

IndyRealist
09-26-2012, 11:32 PM

Troy Murphy '08-'09. 14ppg 12rpg (and 45% 3pt shooting). With consistent starts and playing time, he's a double double player who's never been accused of playing defense.

Swashcuff
09-27-2012, 07:10 AM
Overall or just given the scope of the thread?

In the scope of the thread. All world type D or all world type rebounding. If you chose Danny I'd like you understand your reasoning.

JesusNYY_Savior
09-27-2012, 07:16 AM

Reggie Evans says hi.
This, Evans was the first player who came to mind when I read the thread

b@llhog24
09-27-2012, 08:44 AM
In the scope of the thread. All world type D or all world type rebounding. If you chose Danny I'd like you understand your reasoning.

I didn't. And I'm assuming this is addressing my point on perimeter defense. I meant it more as a rule of thumb seeing as Chronz didn't give us that much to work with.

DanG
09-27-2012, 08:45 AM
I'd take an elite defender.