PDA

View Full Version : Varitek close to becoming special assistant to GM

grandsalami
09-25-2012, 11:28 PM
Gordon Edes ?@GordonEdes
Varitek :"close" to taking position with Sox;. Source says he'll likely serve as special asst to GM. '04 teammates endorse him as manager

mods edit the title... Name wont change

Nomar
09-25-2012, 11:51 PM
Reminds me of Bill Muellers role in LA.

AI
09-26-2012, 01:15 AM
I think Bogar should be our next manager and we should do everything in our power to keep Magadan and Tuck.

-Lavigne43-
09-26-2012, 01:56 AM
I heard that Gammons said on tv today that not just Tek, but Pedro would have jobs of some type by October.

Nomar
09-26-2012, 02:00 AM
It would be awesome to have Pedro.

-Lavigne43-
09-26-2012, 02:04 AM
For him it might just be one of the Spring Training coaches like a lot of former players do. Hopefully it's more, the more Pedro the better

bagwell368
09-26-2012, 06:30 AM
Anyone see Tek on the broadcast last night? Not ready for the media in any way shape or form. I have nothing against trying him out on that side of the ball - but handing this guy the Managers slot would require faith on an epic scale - you just don't do that with an organization worth over a $1B.

Pedro? Guy is a pitching savant, but like say a Ted Williams - they often fail to be able to deal with mere humans. One thing he had going nobody else has or will have is those fingers of his. I'm 6' 8" with hands commensurate with that, and Pedro's fingers are at least an inch longer each. How do you teach someone else a grip with that as an example? He has a lot of presence and emotional power, so he could have a role other than Coach. We'll see.

wolf82
09-26-2012, 07:07 AM
Varitek was a hard worker, and had the trust of the entire pitching staff. If he can teach Lavernway/Salty how to call games I'm all for it. I wouldn't mind seeing him as the bullpen coach, and working with the younger pitchers.

Even Pedro, I think he can help out the younger players.

EEasyA
09-26-2012, 07:39 AM
Anyone see Tek on the broadcast last night? Not ready for the media in any way shape or form. I have nothing against trying him out on that side of the ball - but handing this guy the Managers slot would require faith on an epic scale - you just don't do that with an organization worth over a $1B.

Pedro? Guy is a pitching savant, but like say a Ted Williams - they often fail to be able to deal with mere humans. One thing he had going nobody else has or will have is those fingers of his. I'm 6' 8" with hands commensurate with that, and Pedro's fingers are at least an inch longer each. How do you teach someone else a grip with that as an example? He has a lot of presence and emotional power, so he could have a role other than Coach. We'll see.

Damn Bags you tall.I'm 6'6

bagwell368
09-26-2012, 07:57 AM
Damn Bags you tall.I'm 6'6

Well, we know two of the big guys on the Boston Celts PSD squad - although it would have to be on paper only since my peak was about 30 years ago.

Peoaple are getting taller, used to be I could go six or ten months at a stretch and not see anyone taller, last 10 years or so, I've had days seeing 15 people your height or above. I know I shrunk a bit, but not that much! :)

EEasyA
09-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Lol.how old are you now

MoVaughnsLunch
09-26-2012, 10:22 AM
In a good world, and I'm serious here:

Tek takes a front office position

Millar becomes 1b coach
Pedro to pitching coach
Farrell to manager.

SoxFan0407
09-26-2012, 10:34 AM
In a good world, and I'm serious here:

Tek takes a front office position

Millar becomes 1b coach
Pedro to pitching coach
Farrell to manager.

I'd support this.

EEasyA
09-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I don't know about all this.it reeks of the front office trying to buy the fans.don't know if tek and pedro are going to work out.hope they are successful because if they fail, our team and fans lose.

Nomar
09-26-2012, 11:05 AM
No way Varitek is ready to manage.

I do think Pedro would handle people-issues well, but theres no way hed even want to manage.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-26-2012, 11:20 AM

Yeah I'm not really huge on the whole Tek becoming manager train either. He just really doesn't have that type of personality to be a manager for us right now.

Also you guys are making me feel small :laugh2: I'm 6'2.

Nomar
09-26-2012, 11:21 AM
5'9 but im 18 lol hopefully got a couple inches left in me.

bagwell368
09-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Lol.how old are you now

Closer to 60 then 50, with more than my share of health issues.

To everyone:

Tek isn't near being a Manager, and it's very much an open question if he ever will be.

Pedro is brilliant and competitive, he's also a prima donna and he has little control of his mouth when he gets emotionally upset. I'd also bet on him boring very easily when he isn't the center of attention. Much rather him as a good will ambassador or roving instructor type guy - in no way is he fit to be a MLB Manager - probably ever. Pitching Coach? Maybe, but doubtful.

-Lavigne43-
09-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't think Tek has any interest in managing, all of that speculation comes from the media and fans.

Peter Gammons ‏@pgammo
The roles Bosox see for Jason Varitek and Pedro Martinez will not be ceremonial. See Bill Mueller in LA, Brad Ausmus, Trevor Hoffman in SD

AI
09-26-2012, 02:07 PM
Makes sense.

papipapsmanny
09-26-2012, 03:03 PM
get gabe kapler to manage haha

Nomar
09-26-2012, 03:07 PM
get gabe kapler to manage haha

Haha yeah, after the majestic performance he put on managing Greenville.

todu82
09-26-2012, 05:25 PM
No surprise here IMO. Always saw Varitek getting an off-field role with the team when he retired.

Bo Sox Fan
09-26-2012, 05:31 PM
I'll get a kick outta the media when it becomes official and they describe Varitek as the "Red Sox new switch hitting assistant GM to Ben Cherrington."

Still describing him as if he were a player. lol

Justabitoutside
09-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Do you think that he will wear a "C" on his suit? lol

EEasyA
09-27-2012, 08:42 AM
Lol.welcome to the forum justA

Skeem3227
09-27-2012, 01:00 PM
"Special assistant" means he's there for window dressing and won't have any real input. He'll be used to gladhand sponsors at golf tournaments, etc.

TrueYankee
09-27-2012, 01:42 PM
I think Varitek would make for a good mangers in the long run for this team. I have always admired him as a true captain who has the ability to lead people. He will just have to get accustomed to media other things along the way

Nomar
09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I think Varitek would make for a good mangers in the long run for this team. I have always admired him as a true captain who has the ability to lead people. He will just have to get accustomed to media other things along the way

Agreed. And he has handled the media pretty well over the years, so i dont even think that will be an issue at all. Heck, he swept Hedi/divorce issues right under the rug fairly seamlessly. I think he just needs a bit more time away from the game than one year.

I like to think of Varitek as a solid insurance plan for our next manager. Give the next guy a two or three year deal, and if the team wants to go in a different direction in 2015/16, then Varitek will be there.

AI
09-27-2012, 02:01 PM
I find the Pedro role to be more interesting, he'll give us a huge advantage in the dominican IFA market if part of his role is to recruit pitching. I would imagine young pitchers from there would love to be mentored by Pedro.

Nomar
09-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Yeah, according to Gammons he is a god there, more so than any other player. That's gotta be worth something. Regardless of race too, who wouldn't want to learn from or simply spend time with Pedro?