PDA

View Full Version : Redefining Positions

IndyRealist
09-24-2012, 09:32 PM
I know it's been a thread before, but the combo guard conversation got me wanting to get opinions. Each of the positions has sub-positions that are used but not defined particularly well. In the interest of clarity, here's how I define the sub-positions, and examples of each.

PG
True point/Facilitator: The quintessential pass first PG. Ex: Steve Nash, Jason Kidd.
Scoring point: Sets up teammates by drive and kick or PnR, but passing is the 2nd option. Ex: Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose.

SG
Combo guard: Some ballhandling and playmaking, but primarly a SG. Shoots jumpers and slashes to the basket. Ex: Dwayne Wade, James Harden.
Pure shooter: Generally set up by his teammates to score. Doesn't hold the ball for long Ex: Ray Allen, Kevin Martin.
Defensive guard: Ballhawk on D, minimal offense but can be a 3pt shooter. Ex: Brandon Rush, Tony Allen.

SF
Pure scorer: Versatile from all over the court. Midrange, 3's, slashing. Passing optional. Ex: Melo, Durant.
Point forward: Initiates plays from the wing and sets up teammates. Ex: Manu Ginobili, Lebron James.
Glue guy: Usually a good defender who does a bit of everything. Ex: Matt Barnes, Andre Igoudala.

Bigs (because traditional PF's play center these days)
Stretch 4: Jump shooter who's job is to pull defenders out of the paint with outside shooting. Ex: Ryan Anderson, Mehmet Okur.
Power post: Back-to-the-basket player and usually the primary post defender. Ex: Al Jefferson, Roy Hibbert.
Finesse Big: Face up guys who drive to the basket and take short jumpers. Often the roll man. Ex: Pau Gasol, Amare Stoudamire.
Hustle Big: High energy, dirty work player that dives for loose balls, rebounds, and defends the paint. Cheap shots optional. Ex: Reggie Evans, Joakim Noah.
Stiffs: Guys who are only on an NBA team because they're tall. Ex: Ryan Hollins, Hasheem Thabeet.

Feel free to add any categories you think I missed. Please give examples.

raiderposting
09-24-2012, 11:45 PM
manu isn't a sf

Cal827
09-25-2012, 11:14 AM
Bigs:

Defensive: These guys may or may not contribute well offensively, but they are able to control the flow and clog the lane of the opposing offense. Example: Tyson Chandler, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard.

Corey
09-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Bigs:

Defensive: These guys may or may not contribute well offensively, but they are able to control the flow and clog the lane of the opposing offense. Example: Tyson Chandler, Tim Duncan, Dwight Howard.

I think Duncan and Howard could fit into better categories than just defensive, though.

While they're both excellent defenders, they're also very productive offensively. Categorizing them as defenders seems underwhelming to me.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-25-2012, 12:21 PM
manu isn't a sf

lol he probably couldnt think of another point forward besides bron bron.

Cal827
09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
I think Duncan and Howard could fit into better categories than just defensive, though.

While they're both excellent defenders, they're also very productive offensively. Categorizing them as defenders seems underwhelming to me.

Fair enough, I guess instead of those two, they can be subbed in with guys like Dalembert and Camby.

zB_#85
09-26-2012, 12:39 AM
I know it's been a thread before, but the combo guard conversation got me wanting to get opinions. Each of the positions has sub-positions that are used but not defined particularly well. In the interest of clarity, here's how I define the sub-positions, and examples of each.

PG
True point/Facilitator: The quintessential pass first PG. Ex: Steve Nash, Jason Kidd.
Scoring point: Sets up teammates by drive and kick or PnR, but passing is the 2nd option. Ex: Russell Westbrook, Derrick Rose.

SG
Combo guard: Some ballhandling and playmaking, but primarly a SG. Shoots jumpers and slashes to the basket. Ex: Dwayne Wade, James Harden.
Pure shooter: Generally set up by his teammates to score. Doesn't hold the ball for long Ex: Ray Allen, Kevin Martin.
Defensive guard: Ballhawk on D, minimal offense but can be a 3pt shooter. Ex: Brandon Rush, Tony Allen.

SF
Pure scorer: Versatile from all over the court. Midrange, 3's, slashing. Passing optional. Ex: Melo, Durant.
Point forward: Initiates plays from the wing and sets up teammates. Ex: Manu Ginobili, Lebron James.
Glue guy: Usually a good defender who does a bit of everything. Ex: Matt Barnes, Andre Igoudala.

Bigs (because traditional PF's play center these days)
Stretch 4: Jump shooter who's job is to pull defenders out of the paint with outside shooting. Ex: Ryan Anderson, Mehmet Okur.
Power post: Back-to-the-basket player and usually the primary post defender. Ex: Al Jefferson, Roy Hibbert.
Finesse Big: Face up guys who drive to the basket and take short jumpers. Often the roll man. Ex: Pau Gasol, Amare Stoudamire.
Hustle Big: High energy, dirty work player that dives for loose balls, rebounds, and defends the paint. Cheap shots optional. Ex: Reggie Evans, Joakim Noah.
Stiffs: Guys who are only on an NBA team because they're tall. Ex: Ryan Hollins, Hasheem Thabeet.

Feel free to add any categories you think I missed. Please give examples.

I was going to correct you on this for putting d-wade there but then I saw you put "shoots jumpers" and not "makes jumpers" so I guess technically you're correct.

Andrew32
09-26-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't think positions need to be redefined.

KG and Shaq could probably have played PG if they wanted to but they are still a PF and C.

I pretty much agree with how you described most of those guys though.

Aleksandar
09-26-2012, 08:36 AM

Turkoglu in his peak could be an example. Scoring PG/ Point forward combo. Not that Jameer Nelson was good in his role though..

Also, Royce White might become one. We'll see how he turns out.

Aleksandar
09-26-2012, 08:39 AM
I wouldn't classify James Harden as a combo guard, he's more of an "all around good SG".

Chronz
09-26-2012, 01:26 PM

You get the message tho, they arent PG's but they do alot of facilitating. Thats why we should drop SG/SF just the way he dropped PF/C. Bigs and Swings. Manu is a swing that plays abit like a PG.

Oefarmy2005
09-26-2012, 04:04 PM

I would put Igoudala in that category, it's as close as it gets.

Corey
09-26-2012, 11:57 PM
I would put Igoudala in that category, it's as close as it gets.

Yeah.

Pierce has been that player in his career as well.

To a lesser extent, Turkoglu and Grant Hill as well. Odom used to be right in there.