PDA

View Full Version : New Format Proving My Point

getfoul
09-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Baseball should have eliminated divisions, and my team the White Sox, are part of the reason.

Look, I'll take the AL Central spot, but this division is proving they should have just eliminated divisions, played a balanced schedule (or close to balanced), and just seeded the teams in the right order.

Right now, you could still have races between the Reds and Nationals for the top spot---top team gets four home games in the best-of-5.

The Braves and Giants could be in competition for the 3-seed, to avoid the one game Play-In.

The A's, Yankees, and Orioles could be in a 2 of 3 make the playoffs, and one plays in the Play-In Game.

And the AL Play-In Game could be Rays, Angels, Tigers, or White Sox going for the final spot. Although the Sox and Tigers would probably be fading.

So again, here is what MLB should do:

Astros back to National League in 2014. DBacks or Rockies go to the AL. Both leagues equal by time zone---7 east, 4 central, 4 pac/mtn.

Play your four former division teams 11 games over 4 series.
Play your ten other league opponents 10 games over 3 series.
Play 18 interleague games, including 6 against the local/regional rival.

Top 3 teams make the playoffs, and the 4- and 5-seeds play a one game Play-In. I'm not high on a one-game thing, but when you know it's the 4th and 5th best teams, it makes it more acceptable.

To make an incentive for the 1-seed, give them 4 home games in the best-of-5, and play that 2-1-2.

Then the rest of the postseason is the same format as now.

MLB should strive to get the best teams in their playoffs, and seed the teams fairly and based on the quality of play over 162 games.

sexicano31
09-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Holy ****, you own the white sox!?

getfoul
09-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Holy ****, you own the white sox!?

Yes. Yes I do.

Rush
09-24-2012, 01:52 PM
Travelling two days to play one game in the middle of a series doesn't make sense.

getfoul
09-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Travelling two days to play one game in the middle of a series doesn't make sense.

Who cares? Traveling twice during a 5-game series is traveling twice during a 5-game series. And if they really didn't want to do it, fine, keep the 1-4 series 2-2-1. It would be a good incentive to win the top seed, and make it that much harder for the Play-In winner to advance.

Rush
09-24-2012, 02:11 PM
It's not just who cares. It's a big deal during the teams most important series of the season. Especially if they're on opposite side did the country.

Sticking with this or the old format would work better.

getfoul
09-24-2012, 02:15 PM
It's not just who cares. It's a big deal during the teams most important series of the season. Especially if they're on opposite side did the country.

Sticking with this or the old format what make more sense.

So there's a difference between traveling on say a Tuesday morning and Thursday night with Friday off, and Tuesday morning and Wednesday night with Thursday off? Again, traveling twice during a 5-game series is traveling twice during a 5-game series. Compromise--make it 1-4.

Pinstripe pride
09-24-2012, 02:17 PM
or they should just not ahve the second wild card and go back to the format that had whichw as fine

Rush
09-24-2012, 02:18 PM
MLB is not going to give the home team 4 games in the LDS.

getfoul
09-24-2012, 02:23 PM
MLB is not going to give the home team 4 games in the LDS.

They probably won't eliminate divisions either, but it doesn't mean they shouldn't. I'm just saying, to keep the 1- and 2-seeds playing for something down the stretch if they've locked top-3 spots, dangle an extra home game as an incentive.

And for the 4- and 5-seeds, it would make it that much harder for them to advance, but they still have a chance for 3 home games in the CS and WS if they keep winning.

Twitchy
09-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I don't like that format because it shifts the interest away from the top teams in each division to the 5th or 6th best teams in the league.

In current year terms, what it does is guarantee that NY, Texas and Oakland make the playoffs with LAA and Tampa the 4/5 spots. And they have a 2 game lead over the 6th best team.

That's not very exciting or interesting. I'm not interested in whether the 6th place team might catch up to the fifth place team for a one game playoff.

Right now, we've got two divisions one game off, with the loser of the AL East doing the one game playoff. I hate the current system, but it's still better than a no division system.

They should have just stuck with the original 3 division + 1 WC structure. Although I would be in favour of a balanced schedule. Just not a no-division system. It's nowhere near as interesting.

Jeffy25
09-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I don't like that format because it shifts the interest away from the top teams in each division to the 5th or 6th best teams in the league.

In current year terms, what it does is guarantee that NY, Texas and Oakland make the playoffs with LAA and Tampa the 4/5 spots. And they have a 2 game lead over the 6th best team.

That's not very exciting or interesting. I'm not interested in whether the 6th place team might catch up to the fifth place team for a one game playoff.

Right now, we've got two divisions one game off, with the loser of the AL East doing the one game playoff. I hate the current system, but it's still better than a no division system.

They should have just stuck with the original 3 division + 1 WC structure. Although I would be in favour of a balanced schedule. Just not a no-division system. It's nowhere near as interesting.

To play devils advocate, those top teams will get the focus put back on them come time for the Divisional Playoffs.

I like that it brings more fans of more teams interested in game at this time of the year.

If it was the old system, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, and even Arizona and Philly fans to a lesser extent would not be interested any longer.

I do like that more teams are interested and playing meaningful games later.

I like this system (2 wild card) better than the system we had. But overall, I would rather there just not be any divisions.

LakersA's49ers
09-24-2012, 04:31 PM
you put a lot of thought into that. my god

getfoul
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM

If you have a balanced schedule, then you can't have divisions. Take the 1994 Rangers, for example. They still played a balanced league schedule then, and at the time of the strike they led the West with a record of 52-62. The AL West winner would have been under .500.

And this thing about a 6th place team catching a 5th place team...the White Sox and Tigers are the 7th and 8th best teams in the AL, masked as 1st and 2nd place teams. It's garbage...and I'm a White Sox fan!

The race should be changed to finishing in the top 3 of your league, rather than first in these 5-team groupings that help mediocre teams make the playoffs, while keeping better ones out.

Plus with the one-game playoff, I'd rather know they are the 4th and 5th best teams, and not the 3rd and 4th best teams, while the 7th best team gets a free pass to the playoffs--basically based on geography and nothing else.

Twitchy
09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
If you have a balanced schedule, then you can't have divisions. Take the 1994 Rangers, for example. They still played a balanced league schedule then, and at the time of the strike they led the West with a record of 52-62. The AL West winner would have been under .500.

There's no reason you can't have a balanced schedule and the old format. They're getting paid millions of dollars so I have little sympathy for them getting jetlagged when travelling.

And this thing about a 6th place team catching a 5th place team...the White Sox and Tigers are the 7th and 8th best teams in the AL, masked as 1st and 2nd place teams. It's garbage...and I'm a White Sox fan!

And it's something that doesn't happen very often. So it's not worth complaining about.

Twitchy
09-24-2012, 05:37 PM
To play devils advocate, those top teams will get the focus put back on them come time for the Divisional Playoffs.

The no divison system is less interesting to me. The playoff races are generally over a lot sooner.

If it was the old system, St. Louis, Los Angeles, Milwaukee, and even Arizona and Philly fans to a lesser extent would not be interested any longer.

Is there any reason why any National League team in the wild card race should be interested when their teams are so inferior to the Braves? That's why I dislike this second wild card. The Braves are clearly the best of the WC teams.

I'm sure some fans would just be happy their team is in the playoffs but as far as I'm concerned if you're not a division winner or the #1 WC slot you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

I do like that more teams are interested and playing meaningful games later.

Inferior teams in a wild card race playing playoff baseball doesn't make things more interesting. But that's the same argument that getfoul and you are trying to make with the no division system.

Guppyfighter
09-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Let the teams in by division and wild card, but make the two worse teams by record play each other.

S.P.
09-24-2012, 06:53 PM
To make an incentive for the 1-seed, give them 4 home games in the best-of-5, and play that 2-1-2.

Come on.

Fly
09-24-2012, 06:57 PM
Come on.

I know, that would be an incredible disadvantage to the away team.

getfoul
09-24-2012, 07:07 PM
I know, that would be an incredible disadvantage to the away team.

I understand that, but it's the 4th or 5th best team in the league at that disadvantage. They would have to play over that to advance.

I'm flexible on this point, but I'm trying to think of ways to make the top spot important enough to really go for.

How about this...

Instead of the World Series being determined by the All Star Game, give a 1-seed Home Field Advanatage. So if it's a 1-seed in one league vs a 2-seed from the other league, the 1-seed gets HFA no matter what the win total. But if it's same seed # vs same seed # from the other league, then it goes to higher win total for HFA.

WolvesJagsOs
09-24-2012, 07:10 PM
or they should just not ahve the second wild card and go back to the format that had whichw as fine

No, the 2nd wildcard is so much better. I think it's showing right now. So many better races going on with 2 wildcards.

nithanyo
09-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I like the current format.

Theres more incentive to win your division. You avoid a sudden death game.

Theres more incentive for teams to be buyers cus they might make the single game playoff spot.

Everyone wins

getfoul
09-24-2012, 10:24 PM
I like the current format.

Theres more incentive to win your division. You avoid a sudden death game.

Theres more incentive for teams to be buyers cus they might make the single game playoff spot.

Everyone wins

I don't think baseball wins when they have the 7th best team in the league make the playoffs, while a possible 2nd and 3rd or 2nd and 4th best team play a one-game playoff.

For me, it's that one-game thing that really sticks out when you give inferior division winners a free pass.

Yes, win your division and avoid the one-game thing. But what if your division is garbage and they make the postseason worse? MLB should want their very best teams in the postseason. And as a fan, I would like to see those teams seeded in the right order. The seeding should reflect the actual quality of the teams over 162, not just a geographic distribution of teams.

Pinstripe pride
09-25-2012, 09:14 AM
No, the 2nd wildcard is so much better. I think it's showing right now. So many better races going on with 2 wildcards.

no its not. and since i know you are an O's fan, lets see how much you like it if you lose a 1 gmae playoff because you have to go cross country to oakland. you like it now, because you're tema is one of the two teams benifiting from it. The playoffs are suppsoed to be exclusive, adding more teams waters down the talent not improves the competition. Baseball was the only sport that had it right, and they decided to **** it up

I actually hope that O;'s overtake the A's for the first wild card (so they would have made the playoffs in last years format) and then lose just to hear all the O's fans around here complain about the unfairness of the 1 game playoff for 2 wild cards that they loved so much back in april when they thought there teams wasn't that good.

WadeKobe
09-25-2012, 12:40 PM
No sport eliminates division winners. But, you're right. The MLB should.

T 980
09-25-2012, 06:06 PM
is seriously adding one more wild card team really bugging people that much?

whitesoxfan83
09-25-2012, 07:05 PM
I really think this current system is perfect (outside of contraction and just taking the 2 top from each league again).

The old system was BS because wildcard teams got treated the same as division winners and tinkering with this system by eliminating the divisions or amping up homefield games would only A) cause a lot more teams to be finished sooner and B) unfairly give division winners too much of an advantage- it's already fair enough the wildcard winners are forced to play in a play in game and thus have at least SOME incentive to win their division outright.

Driven
09-25-2012, 07:09 PM
I think it's too early to base it off of one season.

If we went back to one Wild Card for this season, the AL Wildcard would be more exciting (Baltimore vs. Oakland) and the NL Wildcard would be boring.

I like having two Wild Card's, I don't like the one game playoff.

Kenny Powders
09-25-2012, 08:18 PM
Having trouble patting yourself on the back, so you had to make a thread.

Pinstripe pride
09-26-2012, 10:53 AM
is seriously adding one more wild card team really bugging people that much?

i think it's more the fact that the wild card temas play on game, whcih every baseball fan knows one game is a completel crap sjhoot and tells you next to nothing. you play 6 months worth of series, only to have your fate be decided by one game in a non-tie situation?

getfoul
09-26-2012, 11:32 AM
I think it's more the fact that the wild card teams play on game, which every baseball fan knows one game is a complete crap shoot and tells you next to nothing. You play 6 months worth of series, only to have your fate be decided by one game in a non-tie situation?

That's why that game should be the 4th and 5th best teams. If you know it's mid-to-high 80-win teams playing to get in, one game doesn't seem that bad.

And without divisions, the Braves and Giants could still be competing for the 3rd spot...which would be incredibly important. The NL is all set except the order of the 1 and 2 seeds. Cardinals at Braves next Friday.

And while we're at it....can we have some clinching etiquette? Last night, the Braves celebrated. My question...Celebrated what? They didn't win a division championship, and they still have to win a game to get in the playoffs. In my book, they aren't in the playoffs yet.

So under a "No Divisions" format, teams clinch a Top-3. When you clinch at least the 3-seed, that's when you have the locker room celebration. Then the 4- and 5-seeds play and that winner has a locker room celebration.

Jeffy25
09-26-2012, 04:49 PM
in my OOTP sim, I am the Cards.

I went 101-61, and so did the Brewers.

No other team won more than 88 games in the NL, but since I was tied with the Brewers, they were given the bye, and I had to play a one game playoff against the Giants who were 85-77, but won their division, and I lost the one game playoff.

Meanwhile, the Phillies went 88-74, 13 games worse than me, and walked right into the playoffs, same with the 87-75 Dodgers.

A little maddening.

AsfanSince99
09-26-2012, 08:56 PM
A lot of fans, especially Tx fans, will be mad when/if the Rangers are eliminated in the 1-game playoff.

Pinstripe pride
09-27-2012, 10:05 AM
That's why that game should be the 4th and 5th best teams. If you know it's mid-to-high 80-win teams playing to get in, one game doesn't seem that bad.

And without divisions, the Braves and Giants could still be competing for the 3rd spot...which would be incredibly important. The NL is all set except the order of the 1 and 2 seeds. Cardinals at Braves next Friday.

And while we're at it....can we have some clinching etiquette? Last night, the Braves celebrated. My question...Celebrated what? They didn't win a division championship, and they still have to win a game to get in the playoffs. In my book, they aren't in the playoffs yet.

So under a "No Divisions" format, teams clinch a Top-3. When you clinch at least the 3-seed, that's when you have the locker room celebration. Then the 4- and 5-seeds play and that winner has a locker room celebration.

one game in basbeall proves nothing, so having it decide anything more than a tie breaker is compelte bull ****

getfoul
09-27-2012, 10:28 AM
one game in basbeall proves nothing, so having it decide anything more than a tie breaker is compelte bull ****

Some might say 3, 5, or 7 games doesn't prove anything either. They're all small samples for baseball.

My opinion is if they went to no divisions, they're playing a balanced schedule to make the top 3 in the league.

And to keep more teams in the race and seed the teams in the right order, the 4th and 5th teams can play a one-game playoff as a second chance. Over the course of 10-20 years, a lot of teams will get in that Play-In Game and it'll be win some/lose some. But the teams that advance to the best-of-5 series (the top 3) will have got there based on a close-to-balanced schedule.

Pinstripe pride
09-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Some might say 3, 5, or 7 games doesn't prove anything either. They're all small samples for baseball.

My opinion is if they went to no divisions, they're playing a balanced schedule to make the top 3 in the league.

And to keep more teams in the race and seed the teams in the right order, the 4th and 5th teams can play a one-game playoff as a second chance. Over the course of 10-20 years, a lot of teams will get in that Play-In Game and it'll be win some/lose some. But the teams that advance to the best-of-5 series (the top 3) will have got there based on a close-to-balanced schedule.

they tell a hell of a lot more than a one game sample.

getfoul
10-02-2012, 12:06 AM
Angels and Rays could be eliminated tonight with an A's win.

They'll have 89 wins each, with the possibility of getting to 91-71.

Tigers won the division, don't have to play 1-game playoff, and have 87 wins.

Seriously, get rid of divisions.

Pinstripe pride
10-02-2012, 09:49 AM
Angels and Rays could be eliminated tonight with an A's win.

They'll have 89 wins each, with the possibility of getting to 91-71.

Tigers won the division, don't have to play 1-game playoff, and have 87 wins.

Seriously, get rid of divisions.

if they wanted to make the divisions mean somehting, instead of the stupid one game wild card game, they should have said the wild card gets 1 home game. can't wait to see yankee/o's/a's fans up in arms because theyt lose their playoff chances because of a one game crap shoot

getfoul
10-12-2012, 10:16 AM
So the 7th best record in the AL either gets homefield advantage for the ALCS, or worst case, they go to New York with Verlander being able to pitch on regular rest for Games 3 and 7, and Sabathia can't pitch on regular rest until Game 4.

Just awesome.

ahoda
10-12-2012, 10:35 AM
lol

you mad

getfoul
10-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Congratulations to the Tigers. The 7th best AL team in the 2012 regular season goes to the World Series.

I appreciate it.

Illa215
10-18-2012, 08:44 PM
I would prefer the regular season to be reduced and the playoffs expanded. It's such a crap shoot

Public Enemy #1
10-18-2012, 08:45 PM
^So true. Overrated team going to the World Series...

albertajaysfan
10-18-2012, 08:53 PM
I would prefer the regular season to be reduced and the playoffs expanded. It's such a crap shoot

I like that idea.

Go back to 154 game schedule and expand the playoffs to the wildcards playing a 3 game series.

Or we could get really complicated and take a page out of the CFL playoff format. Have a scenario whereas if you win your division and have a worse record then both wildcard teams, you play the 2nd wildcard in the WC playoff series. 1st WC gets the treatment of division winner. Sure teams can get screwed but it seems slightly more balanced then it currently is.

lionsfanphil
10-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I'll take it. We were alot of peoples favorites at the beginning of the season and are finally gelling as a team at the right time. This year isn't the only year that the non 1 seed made the world series. Baseballs winner is usually the team that gets hot at the right time, it happens every year and this year is no exception. Its not like the tigers a sh*tty team they just underperformed for the majority of the season but turned it on at the right time. Im not gonna be sorry for that. Maybe we shouldn't have playoffs and just crown the champ to the team with the best regular season.

Guppyfighter
10-19-2012, 12:01 AM
No, not usually. Most of the past world series winners closed the season out at .500 ball.

whitesoxfan83
10-19-2012, 12:14 AM

If you don't like it this way then you should really want the exact opposite.

Season stays the same but they go back to AL-NL and only the top 2 from each make the playoffs. Right to the LCS series...

The issue is they'd have to contract, at least imo, if they were going to do that.

Oldmantrash
10-19-2012, 12:18 AM
It's just sour grapes for people.

This format is great, might not be fair to everybody every year but sometimes
8-8 teams make the playoffs in football.

Winning your division should be the goal every year, sometimes it's down, sometimes it's not.

It was so much fun at the end of this season,

Stop whining and deal with it

Illa215
10-19-2012, 01:43 AM
Honestly, as a Phillies fan right now, I'd prefer a WC spot over winning the division and best record and baseball at this point.

Lets pull a bunch of guys up from AAA and sneak into the playoffs and annoy the **** out of teams who work their ***** off for 162 games.

As you can tell, this angers me to the point that I haven't watched a single playoff game this year. Thank god.

Puck017
10-19-2012, 02:31 AM
Lets pull a bunch of guys up from AAA and sneak into the playoffs and annoy the **** out of teams who work their ***** off for 162 games.

The MLB is suppose to have the best baseball players in the world, so if a team is going to lose because they can't be effective without a scouting report on their opponents than I don't think they deserve to win.

Baseball like most sports is all about timing and its not uncommon for a team that was better over the regular season to lose come playoffs, but you need to get over something if you think its because players who were called up and stuck around at the end of the season.

Any number of games will never tell what team is the best, and the best team often doesn't finish with the best record. Many things factor into this like injuries, scheduling, luck, etc.

The record at the end of the regular season tells you which organization best met the challenges it faced during the season and from that point on its the best they got against their opponents best. If we hit the reset button on the MLB post season i'm confident we would see a different outcome. They endure the 162 game season just for the opportunity for it to come down to a single series however many games it maybe.

THINKBLUE15
10-19-2012, 02:31 AM
As talented as the Cardinals are, it is yet another season where they honestly don't deserve to be in a position to play for a WS. It's an excellent franchise, but there is no denying how fortunate they are. The Braves are a superior team who played better all season and earned a playoff spot. Only to have it taken away by a team who shouldn't have been there in a BS one game playoff.

Are they one of the most talented teams? Sure. But they didn't earn it over 162. Selig gave them a spot they don't deserve. The Cards, LA, MIL, etc had no business being in a position to have a chance to play the Braves. And now STL is gonna ride to another luck of the Cards Championship. I'd almost rather the Giants play for the WS than the Cards because of the fashion they've earned their WS since '82.

You gotta drop the divisions, take the top 3 records, and then have the 4-5 seeds play a best of 3. The LDS needs to be 7 games too.

This isn't exciting. It's deluding the sport for me. Would've I been happy if the Dodgers got the 2nd WC? Sure. Doesn't mean it's right though. Selig is ruining this. WSH, CIN, SF, and ATL earned it over 162.

Instead, the teams with the 11th and 12th best records in MLB are playing for the WS. It's just not fun for me. "Then don't watch"...well, I'm not. And many people aren't. Ratings down 12% from last season?

Divisions allow weak record teams to win weak divisions, and the 2nd WC, although a good idea, was not executed right.

I mad? Yeah, kinda.

Texas Holders
10-19-2012, 04:46 AM
As talented as the Cardinals are, it is yet another season where they honestly don't deserve to be in a position to play for a WS. It's an excellent franchise, but there is no denying how fortunate they are. The Braves are a superior team who played better all season and earned a playoff spot. Only to have it taken away by a team who shouldn't have been there in a BS one game playoff.

Are they one of the most talented teams? Sure. But they didn't earn it over 162. Selig gave them a spot they don't deserve. The Cards, LA, MIL, etc had no business being in a position to have a chance to play the Braves. And now STL is gonna ride to another luck of the Cards Championship. I'd almost rather the Giants play for the WS than the Cards because of the fashion they've earned their WS since '82.

You gotta drop the divisions, take the top 3 records, and then have the 4-5 seeds play a best of 3. The LDS needs to be 7 games too.

This isn't exciting. It's deluding the sport for me. Would've I been happy if the Dodgers got the 2nd WC? Sure. Doesn't mean it's right though. Selig is ruining this. WSH, CIN, SF, and ATL earned it over 162.

Instead, the teams with the 11th and 12th best records in MLB are playing for the WS. It's just not fun for me. "Then don't watch"...well, I'm not. And many people aren't. Ratings down 12% from last season?

Divisions allow weak record teams to win weak divisions, and the 2nd WC, although a good idea, was not executed right.

I mad? Yeah, kinda.

Cards won their division in 2006. The Marlins are worse though. They have never won their division in the history of their franchise yet have won two WS.

getfoul
10-19-2012, 09:09 AM

I mad? Yeah, kinda.

The Braves should have been given the opportunity to outplay the Giants to avoid the one-game playoff.

It would be great if they were able to chop off a week of the season, play 156 games with only 12 interleague games, and have the 4- and 5-seeds play a best-of-3. But the players didn't want the Wild Card to be a 3-game series because of having 5 or 6 days off for the division winners (or without divisions, the top 3 teams).

When the season ends, they have to keep one day open for tie-breakers or makeup games. Then they would play a 3-game series. So that's four days off right there, then probably another day or two off to stagger the playoff schedule.

To me, a one-game playoff is fine if I know it's the 4th and 5th best teams playing it. In most seasons, they would probably be teams in the 86-89 win range, so there shouldn't be much sympathy for a team that loses a one-game play-in game. They didn't get to the top-3 over 162, so that's the consequence.

JoeDirt05
10-19-2012, 11:10 AM

I mad? Yeah, kinda.

If the cards weren't destroyed by injuries all season they would have won more games

Nomar
10-19-2012, 11:19 AM
The wild card should be a 3 game series, thats my only complaint.

redbird89
10-19-2012, 12:47 PM
The no divison system is less interesting to me. The playoff races are generally over a lot sooner.

Is there any reason why any National League team in the wild card race should be interested when their teams are so inferior to the Braves? That's why I dislike this second wild card. The Braves are clearly the best of the WC teams.

I'm sure some fans would just be happy their team is in the playoffs but as far as I'm concerned if you're not a division winner or the #1 WC slot you don't deserve to be in the playoffs.

Inferior teams in a wild card race playing playoff baseball doesn't make things more interesting. But that's the same argument that getfoul and you are trying to make with the no division system.

I'm just happy to be in the playoffs. The Cardinals didn't make the rules, but just benefited from them. Any fan that says they don't want to make the playoffs as the second Wild Card is probably lying. Most fans would want it any way possible.

If the Cardinals were such an inferior team the Nationals should have crushed them. Part of what makes the playoffs exciting is that you don't know who will win. Like last year, the Cardinals got hot at the right time and their team gelled at the right time. Right now, they are at least one of the top 4 teams in baseball.

The Tigers and the Cardinals have the same record, but because the Tigers won the division you don't hear nearly as much complaining.

I understand not liking the one-game playoff, but adding the second Wild Card made more incentive to win the division. The Wild Card team couldn't just coast into the playoffs. I understand Braves fans feel like they got screwed, but that doesn't mean the Cardinals don't deserve to be in the playoffs. Playoff formats in leagues change and teams just have to try to take advantage of it.

getfoul
10-19-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm just happy to be in the playoffs. The Cardinals didn't make the rules, but just benefitted from them.

If the Cardinals were such an inferior team the Nationals should have crushed them. Part of what makes the playoffs exciting is that you don't know who will win.

The Tigers and the Cardinals have the same record, but because the Tigers won the division you don't hear nearly as much complaining.

I don't know about that. The Cardinals got in with the 5th best record in the NL. It's just coincidence they made it this far after winning the Series last year.

I think more people have a problem with the Tigers getting a bye with the 7th best AL record while 2 teams better than them over 162 missed out, and 2 more teams better than them over 162 had to play a one-game playoff.

GasMan
10-20-2012, 09:45 AM
There's no reason you can't have a balanced schedule and the old format. They're getting paid millions of dollars so I have little sympathy for them getting jetlagged when travelling.

And it's something that doesn't happen very often. So it's not worth complaining about.

It's not just the players that suffer from more travel, games 3 time zones away decrease viewership and fans traveling to away games. If they went to a balanced schedule I think they should realign the leagues to create an East league and a West league.

Twitchy
10-20-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm just happy to be in the playoffs. The Cardinals didn't make the rules, but just benefited from them. Any fan that says they don't want to make the playoffs as the second Wild Card is probably lying. Most fans would want it any way possible.

I wouldn't want my team to make it in as a second wild card. Does that make me a liar?

If the Cardinals were such an inferior team the Nationals should have crushed them.

Just like the Athletics/Yankees were a superior team and should have crushed the Tigers. Any team can win in the playoffs, even if they are inferior in the regular season. Doesn't mean the Cards are a better team, just they got hot at the right time. Which is something you have said many times regarding the Cards.

Actually there has been a fair amount of complaining about the Tigers getting in with an inferior record. The poor record of the division leaders in the AL Central was the entire purpose behind this thread. Plus in any of the MVP arguments for Cabrera where "led his team to the playoffs" is a point in his favour, there's always the "Angels had a better record than the Tigers" counter-argument.

Just because you may not have seen a lot of people dismiss the Tigers record doesn't mean it's not happening all over the place.

I understand not liking the one-game playoff, but adding the second Wild Card made more incentive to win the division.

That's not really true. A lot of people point to the Yanks/O's and A's/Rangers as proof of this, but that's not the case. In the AL the Yanks/O's/A's/Rangers still would have had to play hard because in the last week or so of the season there was only 1-2 games separating the 4 teams. They still would have had to play hard.

I could make the argument that they would have had to play harder under the old system. Had the O's or Rangers lost even one more game they wouldn't have had that second wild card spot to fall back on. And I imagine those teams would be much happier to get a one game playoff spot for a chance to play in the playoffs compared to missing it completely.

And of course, in the NL where the Braves were vastly superior over 162 games, to lose that over one game is very silly. I'm sure as a Cards fan you would disagree. But after proving over 162 games that your team is better, you shouldn't have to rely on one game to determine who is the better team.

The Wild Card team couldn't just coast into the playoffs.

Pretty sure during the last week the Braves were coasting considering they had no shot of winning the division. Maybe the Cards weren't coasting as much, but I'm not really that concerned with the 5th or so best team in the NL during the regular season.

If you're referring to the fact that they shouldn't coast into the playoffs, well, that's a different argument entirely. But I think they should be punished by losing homefield or something to that effect, or even playing with a shorter roster (23-24 players instead of 25). I don't think they should potentially lose their entire season over one game when they have proven that they're better than all the other non-division winners (and in some cases even other division winners).

Playoff formats in leagues change and teams just have to try to take advantage of it.

Nobody has said they shouldn't try to take advantage of it. Doesn't mean I have to like the new playoff structure.

getfoul
10-20-2012, 10:43 AM
It's not just the players that suffer from more travel, games 3 time zones away decrease viewership and fans traveling to away games. If they went to a balanced schedule I think they should realign the leagues to create an East league and a West league.

I don't think an East League/West League will happen because the teams in the Central time zone would be in the West League, and have to travel more there. As a White Sox fan, I think that would be the death of the franchise. It's better to have teams from the same market in separate leagues.

If they went to 18 interleague games for each team, they could use interleague as a way to play more regionally--with at least 2 series home and away against teams from the same time zone. In the case of the White Sox, they should play the Cubs two 3-game series every year just because it's local. They also should play the Brewers one series every year because they're 100 miles apart. The Padres and Angels should play every year. The Indians and Pirates should play every year because travel is easy for the fans to go there.

If they did this instead of one division playing another division in a different part of the country, they could make up most of the travel imbalance---and go to a more balanced league schedule without divisions.

Under my plan, teams from the East and Central time zones play 6 or 7 series and 20-23 games in the West. It's not that much different than what they have now, and it's even better than when the interleague schedule is East division vs West division.

And with 26 road series every year, they need to do a better job scheduling trips that make sense, and have off days around flights that are cross country. There is a way to do a close-to-balanced schedule without divisions that is very little different than what they have now in regards to travel and games played outside their own time zone.

When you have 5 teams from each league qualifying for the postseason, they should seed the teams based on how they played over 162 games. Not just give spots to teams in a certain part of the country.

redbird89
10-20-2012, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't want my team to make it in as a second wild card. Does that make me a liar?

I just think if you were actually in that situation you would probably change your mind. Most fans will accept getting into the playoffs regardless of the circumstances.

getfoul
10-29-2012, 12:34 AM
Maybe the Braves win the World Series if they had the opportunity to beat the Giants out for the 3-seed.

Maybe the World Series isn't a sweep if the 7th best AL team didn't make the playoffs when 5 teams qualify.

End divisions now.