PDA

View Full Version : for all the **** Selig gets, he is so far the best commisioner in all of the sports

grandsalami
09-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Reasons

NBA: lockout and "rigged" officiating/scandel
NHL: second lockout in as many years
NFL: lockout/concussion/ scab refs

MLB: replay issues

Yah, let that soak in for a min. for all the **** that he gets in regards to replay,Selig has been one of the better comisioners in any of the major sports.....

Rush
09-24-2012, 12:52 AM
As long as attendance is high we don't need replays.

JDIsMyGod23
09-24-2012, 12:56 AM
Completely agree. He was even better when he turned his head on steroids (no sarcasm).

VRP723
09-24-2012, 01:03 AM
I've often said he's the best commissioner.

MetsLegacy
09-24-2012, 01:05 AM
He's the best commissioner by far.

I don't know if that's saying much, but you have to give credit where credit is due. No lockouts, expanded playoffs, and an overall enjoyable product year-in and year-out.

Mike933
09-24-2012, 01:45 AM
Reasons

Yah, let that soak in for a min. for all the **** that he gets in regards to replay,Selig has been one of the better comisioners in any of the major sports.....

What are you talking about? The last lockout was in 2004...and lookup the CFL commissioner, he's the only commish that can walk onto a field and be cheered instead of booed.

SACNYY
09-24-2012, 01:56 AM
I agree.

joshhorvath
09-24-2012, 02:15 AM
What are you talking about? The last lockout was in 2004...and lookup the CFL commissioner, he's the only commish that can walk onto a field and be cheered instead of booed.

Them Americans don't believe in the CFL like us Canadians do.. they don't believe its a real sport. So yes, even though actually all of us love our commish, and even Tom Wright was pretty decent, the main topic is considered out of the main 4 sports ( NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL)

Pinstripe pride
09-24-2012, 08:46 AM
http://p.twimg.com/Az4_5b4CUAANB0S.jpg:large

Jeffy25
09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
As long as attendance is high we don't need replays.

bahahha

That was such a ridiculous answer

Selig isn't all bad.

All changes are incremental and small, so the league has time to adjust and adapt.

They don't erase history, they don't make drastic, sudden changes.

You would have rather the sport do things the way baseball does than the other options.

I don't love Selig, but for a commissioner, he isn't all bad.

Instant Replay is way over-due though.

grandsalami
09-24-2012, 09:41 AM
He's the best commissioner by far.

I don't know if that's saying much, but you have to give credit where credit is due. No lockouts, expanded playoffs, and an overall enjoyable product year-in and year-out.

agree

todu82
09-24-2012, 10:13 AM
I still prefer Goodell in the NFL. That said, Selig's done a pretty good job as MLB commishioner. Aside from the steroid issue he's ran a pretty good ship for the MLB.

Jack of Blades
09-24-2012, 10:51 AM

What is this CFL you speak of?

Ares
09-24-2012, 10:52 AM
The best smelling turd is still a turd.

bosox3431
09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
You only list replay for him as a bad mark. What about peds? Yes they're a problem in most sports, but when it comes to baseball it's taken more serious by fans.

OpenAvalin
09-24-2012, 11:16 AM
Selig can go **** himself. I hate him

ATL#22
09-24-2012, 11:21 AM
What is a CFL?

Rain City
09-24-2012, 11:35 AM
u know what, i was just having this conversation yesterday. comparing to stern and goddell, i love the guy....

however his ignorance toward PED use in the late 80s-early 2000s is still bleeding over in today's game. that being said, hes still by far the best commish imo.

KingPosey
09-24-2012, 12:56 PM
If you count riding the coat tails of a steroid filled HR race to get your sport back on top, and then selling the players down the river and fueling witch hunts good, then yes, he's great. He turned an intentional blind eye to all of it till the media caught up, then acted appalled that it was happening.

Its the easiest sport to helm, players dont fight over money really, which is probably the most major issue in all of sports.

KingPosey
09-24-2012, 12:58 PM
And the 2nd wild card is a stupid idea, it awards mediocrity big time. That doesnt have much to do with anything, I just needed to say it.

Jeffy25
09-24-2012, 01:02 PM
And the 2nd wild card is a stupid idea, it awards mediocrity big time. That doesnt have much to do with anything, I just needed to say it.

But it also deters the value of being the first wild card team.

Puts both teams at a disadvantage over winning the division.

theslick1
09-24-2012, 01:12 PM
With regard to Selig and PEDs, what could he have done? Had he made it an issue with the MLBPA, it's likely the union would have refused to cooperate. It wasn't until Congress stepped in and said to MLB "you take care of this problem or we will" that the union had any incentive to submit to testing and accept penalties for positive tests.

abe_froman
09-24-2012, 01:32 PM
i dont see how,it hurts being a wildcard team

as for bud,i've been saying the same thing for years(not that he's great)

MetsFanatic19
09-24-2012, 04:30 PM
He justs has some incredibly stupid ideas sometimes, like having DH in NL parks and not in AL parks. But he also has some good ones, and I'm all in favor of the 15/15 leagues and the second wild card.

rockbottom2010
09-24-2012, 04:50 PM
if mlb goes on a lockout...then he will lose alot of money...thats why he aint' gonna do ****

Bean
09-24-2012, 05:02 PM
I agree that Selig is the least of four evils, but I'll throw this as defense for the other guys (especially considering lock outs) - MLB does not have a salary cap and does not have to follow anti-trust laws. Even with the MLBPA being one of (if not THE) strongest unions in the whole country, Selig does not have the issues come CBA time that the other three have.

KNICKS R BACK
09-24-2012, 05:12 PM
i am not going to crown any of the 4 major sport commissioners as the best... they are all horrible...Stern, Goodell Castro, Selig, Bettman are all disgraces to their respective sports ... to speak on Selig specifically, him and his family own a major chunk of the brewers and its comical that he is still allowed to be the commisioner ... if thats not disgraceful i dont know what is

Jeffy25
09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
i am not going to crown any of the 4 major sport commissioners as the best... they are all horrible...Stern, Goodell Castro, Selig, Bettman are all disgraces to their respective sports ... to speak on Selig specifically, him and his family own a major chunk of the brewers and its comical that he is still allowed to be the commisioner ... if thats not disgraceful i dont know what is

Wrong.

So very very very very very wrong

VenezuelanMet
09-24-2012, 05:16 PM
Well, to be fair. Anything compared to Stern and Bettman looks like the greatest thing ever.

Don't know much about Goodell to comment.

Greenmonster24
09-24-2012, 05:35 PM
The second wild card sucks and the fact that you have interleague all year with 2 different rules. We need either both leagues have a DH or none. I am more myself for contraction of 2 teams get back to 28 and go back to 2 divisons in each league and have maybe the 2nd place team play the third place team on the road then the winner face the division champ and even though you losing some players that won't be in the rotation you are gaining 14 people into the everyday lineup as a DH so its not like your benching allot of people. unbalancing the schedule alittle so your facing 4 teams 18 times and others only 6 at least go to 14 for your division and like 10 for teams in your league out of your division would be alot fairer. The 2nd wild card stupid. Think how exciting it be if Oakland and NY and Baltomare were fighting for 2 spots. Think the Phillies 1 game over .500 is even in the race for the wild card in NL is stupid cause the Braves are way better then anyone else and unless they have a horrible collopse again they shouldn't have 1 game decide if they can go to NLDS. There a 90 win team which the second wild card team won't be. I hate seing teams under 90 wins making the playoffs its stupid unless your Saint Louis who won 2 world series in last 8 years with only 87 wins or so in regular season. Want to see more of it it happen where a team will get hot at the right time like Rockies in 07 where they got hot at the right time but are a lot worse record win the world series.

Halladay
09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
I think people put way too much stock into what commissioners actually do. They speak for the owners and that's it. They aren't the the judge,jury and executioner. Baseball has been successful because everyone's making money like many other sports. There's no cap and even if your team has 15,000 people show up every game, you can still make money. Both sides are kept happy.

JoeDirt05
09-24-2012, 05:51 PM
selig is stupid he should have moved the brewers back to the AL instead of blackmailing the astros into doing it

GasMan
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
He's badly mishandling the A's stadium fiasco. He's frequently used the anti-trust exemption as a club to beat teams and cities into putting baseball where people don't necessarily want it or are willing to pay for it. I'd like to see new blood.

dballss
09-24-2012, 07:04 PM
theres no cap, loose salary and collecting bargaining structure, teams are free to spend and do whatever they please, resulting in some of the worst contracts and paid athletes in all of sports...its not that hes great, his job is just soo much easier compared to others

2009mvp
09-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah tell that crap to someone in Montreal. Not to mention Minnesota, who knows where the Twins would be (if they existed at all anymore) were it up to Bud.

BigBlueCrew
09-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Still like Goodell. These scab refs maybe in place for now, buts its been going on for a month. Baseball needs instant replays, umpires have been f'ing up for a looooooooong time and no-one calls them out on it. And the steroid issue just gets swept under the rug for fear of opening up some theoretical "pandora's box". Gimme a break.

MetsFanatic19
09-24-2012, 07:53 PM
I just want him to give the Wilpons a nice, big...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucihhWjcNqk

RevHokALugie
09-24-2012, 08:00 PM
theres no cap, loose salary and collecting bargaining structure, teams are free to spend and do whatever they please, resulting in some of the worst contracts and paid athletes in all of sports...its not that hes great, his job is just soo much easier compared to others

Agreed, lets all not forget how he put his beloved Brewers in the NL, and then placing the Astros in the AL. :mad:

ciaban
09-24-2012, 08:04 PM
what's the CFL?

giantspwn
09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Selig is the worst. This guy is a rat.

Lockouts aren't necessarily the commissioners fault, they just represent what the collective group of owners wants to do.

09-24-2012, 09:23 PM
what's the CFL?

You don't remember the Baltimore Stallions? 1995 Grey Cup winner.

lavell12
09-24-2012, 09:58 PM
I like somethings that Bud has done but mostly he has sucked. Allowing the steroid area to happen, adding a second wild card is really dumb b/c the best thing about baseball compared to other sports is the importance of the regular season. I'm a big Goodell fan despite the critics he has done a lot of great things for the game.

j-bay
09-24-2012, 11:36 PM
Reasons

3rd lockout in the NHL, just to clear that up one in 1993, one in 2004, and now we got this one

Driven
09-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Best in sports? Are you high?

Baseball is on a slow decline, and he's the best in sports?

Goodell is clearly the center of controversy, but the NFL is light years ahead of baseball right now, and while there is the replacement refs issue, it's not steroids at least.

What a joke. I like how you list "replay issues" as a problem, but not steroids or the integrity of the sport, or declining ratings, or anything else.

MetsLegacy
09-25-2012, 01:18 AM

Goodell is clearly the center of controversy, but the NFL is light years ahead of baseball right now, and while there is the replacement refs issue, it's not steroids at least.

What a joke. I like how you list "replay issues" as a problem, but not steroids or the integrity of the sport, or declining ratings, or anything else.

In your mind, maybe.

If you're going to judge this purely on television ratings, those are becoming obsolete with many other alternatives to keep up with the games, even watching them, through devices that aren't a traditional TV with a Nielsen box. The MLB, ESPN, etc. apps all have updates and PBP support. MLB.TV allows you to stream games live, and replay them.

If you're going based on attendance, that's up as well.

MetsLegacy
09-25-2012, 01:19 AM

Also, the sport grossed $7.5 BILLION dollars in 2011.

Up from 1.2 Billion in 1992.

That's a decline?

natepro
09-25-2012, 01:57 AM

Contracts can get ridiculous, but it hurts the teams when they do.

Talk about a salary cap all you want, but since 2000 there have been nine different World Series champions.

The NHL has had 10 different winners, and one season that didn't even happen.

The NFL has had eight.

I don't care about the NBA enough to even look up their numbers.

But the point is, there are so many unknowns and things that still aren't popular stats-wise in baseball that it's possible to exploit things that other teams aren't using. It's why you see the A's potentially with a playoff spot this season, despite having little in the way of payroll compared to teams like the Yankees and Red Sox.

Tragedy
09-25-2012, 02:11 AM
It's not even close. Bud is really not as bad as he's portrayed. People were upset that he stopped the All Star Game and the ensuing dumb rule that came with the All Star Game. Other than that, he added a Wild Card spot - And now a second one - And those look to be ecellent adds. He did the Interleague play, and those have become hugely successful and popular. We haven't had any serious CBA problems since 1994.

And then you look at the NHL. They've had TWO work stoppages in less than a decade. That's awful.

The NBA has referees that are fixed. They also were locked out a year ago.

The NFL has locked out, and now the refs are locked out.

I've always given Bud props. But even more so now.

Driven
09-25-2012, 10:28 AM

In your mind, maybe.

If you're going to judge this purely on television ratings, those are becoming obsolete with many other alternatives to keep up with the games, even watching them, through devices that aren't a traditional TV with a Nielsen box. The MLB, ESPN, etc. apps all have updates and PBP support. MLB.TV allows you to stream games live, and replay them.

If you're going based on attendance, that's up as well.

Ratings are down any way you look at them. More importantly, the national numbers and playoff numbers are down.

Of course this isnt just based off of ratings, though. Attendance is tough to look at. All sports generally do well in this area. Hockey does well in attendance. Thats more of the cities themselves as opposed to the overall product and demographic.

As far as what they gross, thats tough as well. There are plenty of ways to make money in a decline. You know how far pro wrestling has fallen, yet they still gross a stupid profit.

Baseball doesnt have the domestic popularity of football, or anywhere close. It doesnt have the international popularity of basketball, and its not even close. It doesnt have the star power of either. I cant speak for hockey, because i dont follow it.

Its soon to fall to the third most popular major sport. Still, you can make money in a decline. You can make more money. Not arguing that.

But youre underestimating the power of ratings, and the fact that there are more outlets is pretty useless considering how thats the case for the entire sports industry.

But these things are debateable. At the end of the day, the mlb is nowhere close to the nfl, and if it werent for the replacement refs which people will completely forget about in the near future anyways, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

When it comes to the integrity of the sport itself, mlb has lost most of it through the whole steroid debacle, tarnishing its history. Im not sure how this is a non issue to the OP.

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 10:37 AM
Ratings are down any way you look at them. More importantly, the national numbers and playoff numbers are down.

Of course this isnt just based off of ratings, though. Attendance is tough to look at. All sports generally do well in this area. Hockey does well in attendance. Thats more of the cities themselves as opposed to the overall product and demographic.

As far as what they gross, thats tough as well. There are plenty of ways to make money in a decline. You know how far pro wrestling has fallen, yet they still gross a stupid profit.

Baseball doesnt have the domestic popularity of football, or anywhere close. It doesnt have the international popularity of basketball, and its not even close. It doesnt have the star power of either. I cant speak for hockey, because i dont follow it.

Its soon to fall to the third most popular major sport. Still, you can make money in a decline. You can make more money. Not arguing that.

But youre underestimating the power of ratings, and the fact that there are more outlets is pretty useless considering how thats the case for the entire sports industry.

But these things are debateable. At the end of the day, the mlb is nowhere close to the nfl, and if it werent for the replacement refs which people will completely forget about in the near future anyways, we wouldnt be having this discussion.

When it comes to the integrity of the sport itself, mlb has lost most of it through the whole steroid debacle, tarnishing its history. Im not sure how this is a non issue to the OP.

Except.................attendance is up, last years playoff ratings were way up, last years world series ratings were way up, and the overall financial health of the sport is waaaaaaaay waaaaaaaaaaay up.

Second wealthiest sport in North America, and you say it's on a slow decline?

You do realize that it has grown every year in total revenue since Selig took over, right?

There is no decline in Major League Baseball, it's the healthiest it's ever been.

rhino17
09-25-2012, 11:38 AM
he allowed cheating for a long *** time. He is far from the best commish

jlohm1
09-25-2012, 11:39 AM
The best smelling turd is still a turd.

:laugh:

pretty much was i was just thinking

jlohm1
09-25-2012, 11:42 AM

since when?

bootsy
09-25-2012, 11:43 AM
Bud Selig is not even close to the best commissioner. Having an entire postseason missed, a tied ASG, determining homefield by an ASG, making his sport almost unwatchable, completely turning a blind eye to steroids until it was too late, ratings plummeting,expanding playoffs unnecessarily are all reasons why is not even close to the best commissioner. If it weren't for hockey he would be the worst.

2009mvp
09-25-2012, 12:23 PM
I totally get why people wanna rip him for the PED stuff, but why doesn't anyone do the same in other sports? Everyone from the media, to the fans, to people inside the game have happily turned a blind eye to PEDs in football and continue to do so, why is it only an issue in baseball?

nickster16301
09-25-2012, 12:42 PM
He really isn't...all he basically does is let the players get whatever they want

theslick1
09-25-2012, 01:13 PM
And the steroid issue just gets swept under the rug for fear of opening up some theoretical "pandora's box". Gimme a break.

I like somethings that Bud has done but mostly he has sucked. Allowing the steroid area to happen, adding a second wild card is really dumb b/c the best thing about baseball compared to other sports is the importance of the regular season. I'm a big Goodell fan despite the critics he has done a lot of great things for the game.

he allowed cheating for a long *** time. He is far from the best commish

Bud Selig is not even close to the best commissioner. Having an entire postseason missed, a tied ASG, determining homefield by an ASG, making his sport almost unwatchable, completely turning a blind eye to steroids until it was too late, ratings plummeting,expanding playoffs unnecessarily are all reasons why is not even close to the best commissioner. If it weren't for hockey he would be the worst.

What was Selig supposed to do about steroids? He was powerless to force the union to accept testing or accept penalties for positive tests. It wasn't until Congress forced the issue that the union agreed to the current system.

theslick1
09-25-2012, 01:14 PM
He really isn't...all he basically does is let the players get whatever they want

Such as what?

nickster16301
09-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Such as what?

He let the Union get so big he really has no leverage on the players.

theslick1
09-25-2012, 01:51 PM

And what do you think he could have done to prevent the union from being as powerful as it is?

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 02:19 PM
So typical, everything that has happened in major league baseball over the last two decades needs to be blamed on Selig.

Many of the things that happened he had very little control over, like steroid testing.

abe_froman
09-25-2012, 02:59 PM

so? its been beneficial to the league to take that tactic,i mean sure he could use every opportunity to try to break the players even at the expense of league's popularity and stability like betman...but like i said,why would that be good for anybody.i mean they tried it in 94 and all it resulted in was scaring fans away for years(and loss in greater revenue than to just play nice)

nickster16301
09-25-2012, 03:48 PM
And what do you think he could have done to prevent the union from being as powerful as it is?

stand up to them years ago instead of folding and allowing big market teams to sign players to outrageous contracts

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM
stand up to them years ago instead of folding and allowing big market teams to sign players to outrageous contracts

Why?

It's been great for the economic health of the sport

Not to mention, it wouldn't have been possible, in any way.

You are blaming him for things out of his control.

I don't love Selig, but at least be right about why you are upset with him.

theslick1
09-25-2012, 04:15 PM

How exactly could Selig have prevented big market teams from signing players? He can't tell teams and players what they can and can't do. He can't unilaterally impose salary restraints.

Nomar
09-25-2012, 04:35 PM
Cheaters gonna cheat

KingPosey
09-25-2012, 05:54 PM
What was Selig supposed to do about steroids? He was powerless to force the union to accept testing or accept penalties for positive tests. It wasn't until Congress forced the issue that the union agreed to the current system.

If he was really concerned with it he could have flat out addressed it publicly, but he wasnt because it was helping him.

I personally dont give 2 ***** about PEDs byt enough people do for it to matter I suppose.

theslick1
09-25-2012, 06:18 PM
If he was really concerned with it he could have flat out addressed it publicly, but he wasnt because it was helping him.

I personally dont give 2 ***** about PEDs byt enough people do for it to matter I suppose.

He could have addressed it publicly, but what good would it have done? Without being able to name names (and he really couldn't because he didn't have any proof of which players were using because there wasn't any testing), anything he said would have sounded foolish.

nickster16301
09-25-2012, 07:47 PM
Why?

It's been great for the economic health of the sport

Not to mention, it wouldn't have been possible, in any way.

You are blaming him for things out of his control.

I don't love Selig, but at least be right about why you are upset with him.

Dont debate me on this, you will lose like the last time we discussed it. Accept defeat and move on.

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Dont debate me on this, you will lose like the last time we discussed it. Except defeat and move on.

:worthy:
:surrender:

GasMan
09-25-2012, 10:09 PM

Why are the contracts outrageous? How does standing up to the PLAYERS stop the OWNERS (that he works for) from spending their money? What does that even mean, "standing up to them"? Didn't the inability to articulate a valid argument for a salary cap in the last discussion tame your hatred for the players who are stealing from your beloved owners? Why do you hate the players???

Victimize
09-25-2012, 11:04 PM
Dont debate me on this, you will lose like the last time we discussed it. Accept defeat and move on.

What a great argument.

nickster16301
09-26-2012, 12:11 AM
What a great argument.

Thanks I was hoping you would understand.

nickster16301
09-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Why are the contracts outrageous? How does standing up to the PLAYERS stop the OWNERS (that he works for) from spending their money? What does that even mean, "standing up to them"? Didn't the inability to articulate a valid argument for a salary cap in the last discussion tame your hatred for the players who are stealing from your beloved owners? Why do you hate the players???

Until every team plays on an even financial playing field I will not like the players and we discussed this before, listen I just got a new job and I'm feeling pretty good right now so if any you guys who read this are in the Pittsburgh area this weekend drinks are on me

LA_Raiders
09-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Agree, stern is the worst he is a real *******

GasMan
09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Until every team plays on an even financial playing field I will not like the players and we discussed this before, listen I just got a new job and I'm feeling pretty good right now so if any you guys who read this are in the Pittsburgh area this weekend drinks are on me

Congrats on the job!

The "even financial playing field" has nothing to do with the union and everything to do with the owners decision to not share the money they make.

theslick1
09-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Why take it out on the players? It's the owners who are paying them.

nickster16301
09-26-2012, 09:47 AM
Why take it out on the players? It's the owners who are paying them.

Right but until there is some sort of restriction on how much they can make there will be only a handful of teams that can pay the best players in free agency.

GasMan
09-26-2012, 10:01 AM
Right but until there is some sort of restriction on how much they can make there will be only a handful of teams that can pay the best players in free agency.

Why not restrict how much a TEAM can make, won't that "level the playing field"? A cap will not give you what you want (assuming you want Pittsburgh and the Yankees to have the same chance at signing overpriced players and not just want to see players make less) but a 100% profit sharing will. It won't make bad teams better because they don't know how to pick/develop/use the talent they have but it will take away the BS excuse some bad teams use for their inability to build a good team.