PDA

View Full Version : Who is the most underrated/overrated defender in the league?

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 01:37 PM
Well who do you think?

Hellcrooner
09-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Overated defender, Kobe bryant, ( NOW) has been making all defensive teams when in his last few seasons he has been subpar to his standards.

Underated: Many.

Hoopsadvocate
09-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Overated defender, Kobe bryant, ( NOW) has been making all defensive teams when in his last few seasons he has been subpar to his standards.

Underated: Many.

Agree with Kobe as being slightly overrated he's above average now but not worthy of 1st team all defense slot over guys like iguadola, or Tony Allen.

StarvingKnick22
09-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Kobe
Bogut and Chris Paul. They wont give him DPOY

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Most overrated=Lebron
I mean he gets chasedown blocks, but what else does he do? He is too slow to guard his man one on one, too small to play post defense, and his situational defense is sketchy at best.
Most underrated=Nick Young.
This guy has a reputation as a gunner, but $waggy P plays some of the tightest on the ball defense in the league. Those who may not have seen him as much may be uninformed, but watch some tape of the kid and discover his ability to play D.

JNoel
09-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Underrated- Tony Allen
Overrated- Kobe Bryant

Chill_Will_24
09-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Most overrated=Lebron
I mean he gets chasedown blocks, but what else does he do? He is too slow to guard his man one on one, too small to play post defense, and his situational defense is sketchy at best.
This guy has a reputation as a gunner, but $waggy P plays some of the tightest on the ball defense in the league. Those who may not have seen him as much may be uninformed, but watch some tape of the kid and discover his ability to play D.

Wasn't Lebron locking down Rose in the playoffs before? So how can anyone suggest he is not fast enough when Rose is like the second fastest player in the league behind Wall (that is just my opinion obviously)?

Chacarron
09-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Wasn't Lebron locking down Rose in the playoffs before? So how can anyone suggest he is not fast enough when Rose is like the second fastest player in the league behind Wall (that is just my opinion obviously)?

He is just trolling.

Iron24th
09-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Guys, OP is a troll.

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:13 PM
He is just trolling.

How am I trolling? I offered my opinion. I don't think Lebron is a good individual or team defender, simple as that.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:14 PM
Basically, almost any player who is on the wrong side of 30 still making all defensive teams based on reputation will fit this, so I would say Artest, Gerald Wallace, and Rondo are overrated. Underrated, there are many, but I think a healthy Bogut is awesome defensively, Paul gets overlooked, and at this point, Kevin Garnett may even be overlooked, he is easily one of the top defenders in the game still.

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:15 PM
You guys are unreal with this trolling stuff. Really? I'm a troll because I don't think Lebron is a good defender? Oh ok. That's quite narrowminded.

Chacarron
09-23-2012, 03:17 PM
You also said Nick Young is underrated defensively. Come on.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Most overrated=Lebron

In what planet is LeBron not a great defender? Could it be his synergy ratings, which show he is extremely elite? Could it be him holding his opponent (typically the other teams top wing) to a PER of 10? Could it be his ability to guard PG's to PF's? Or maybe its the fact that he routinely becomes disruptive throughout every game off the ball defensively.

Nick Young? He is average at best. Too skinny, watches the ball too much, and isn't physical enough.

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM

So? You don't agree? Ok. Move on then. Maybe you haven't watched him enough to know just how disruptive he is.

Chacarron
09-23-2012, 03:22 PM
In what planet is LeBron not a great defender? Could it be his synergy ratings, which show he is extremely elite? Could it be him holding his opponent (typically the other teams top wing) to a PER of 10? Could it be his ability to guard PG's to PF's? Or maybe its the fact that he routinely becomes disruptive throughout every game off the ball defensively.

Nick Young? He is average at best. Too skinny, watches the ball too much, and isn't physical enough.

You are wasting your time here.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:22 PM
So? You don't agree? Ok. Move on then. Maybe you haven't watched him enough to know just how disruptive he is.

Do you have an argument outside the tired, "you must not watch him"? Do you have any validation for a player from the dreadful Wizards traded late whose main contribution was a flurried offensive comeback in a playoff game?

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:23 PM

Lebron is just not impressive defensively to me. His effort is barely there, he relies on his teammates to cover up for the chances he takes, and he's too sluggish to guard the perimeter.

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:25 PM
Do you have an argument outside the tired, "you must not watch him"? Do you have any validation for a player from the dreadful Wizards traded late whose main contribution was a flurried offensive comeback in a playoff game?

How would you know if he was a good defender or not if you haven't seen him much? That seems to be a very valid arguement no matter how 'tired' it seems to you. Nick Young's job on the second unit is to come in and provide instant offense and shut down the best perimeter player on the floor. If he was provided starter minutes, he'd be all nba defense.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Lebron is just not impressive defensively to me. His effort is barely there, he relies on his teammates to cover up for the chances he takes, and he's too sluggish to guard the perimeter.

Then you don't understand what you claim to be watching.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:33 PM
How would you know if he was a good defender or not if you haven't seen him much? That seems to be a very valid arguement no matter how 'tired' it seems to you. Nick Young's job on the second unit is to come in and provide instant offense and shut down the best perimeter player on the floor. If he was provided starter minutes, he'd be all nba defense.

Because many here, including myself, watch every team play as often as possible. On top of that, there are numbers, and results to verify what we see/don't see.

Nick Young will never be an all NBA defender. He doesn't have the IQ, and can be overwhelmed physically. You also alluded to him being a 2nd unit player, meaning a substantial amount of the minutes he is on the floor guarding someone is against lesser competition.

Dude, there is no way, and I mean none, that you can attempt to prove LeBron isn't a great defender. There is no metric you can come up with. And if you think he doesn't have the ability to guard perimeter guards, you haven't watched him play. Anytime a PG is carving the Heat up, guess who they put on him to shut him down?

Chill_Will_24
09-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Because many here, including myself, watch every team play as often as possible. On top of that, there are numbers, and results to verify what we see/don't see.

Nick Young will never be an all NBA defender. He doesn't have the IQ, and can be overwhelmed physically. You also alluded to him being a 2nd unit player, meaning a substantial amount of the minutes he is on the floor guarding someone is against lesser competition.

Dude, there is no way, and I mean none, that you can attempt to prove LeBron isn't a great defender. There is no metric you can come up with. And if you think he doesn't have the ability to guard perimeter guards, you haven't watched him play. Anytime a PG is carving the Heat up, guess who they put on him to shut him down?

Nick Young?

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Chalmers?

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Nick Young?

LOL I see what you did there. :clap:

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Chalmers?

Nah, they use their SF, LeBron James.

Hawkeye15
09-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Nick Young?

no, G-Wall baby

Slimsim
09-23-2012, 03:46 PM
underrated shumpert

jericho
09-23-2012, 03:46 PM
not that i think lebron is a bad defender but playing alongside wade and battier helped him a lot he gets a lot of credit for what the other players do for him on the defensive side that he dont really deserve most of the games i see battier playin d on the best offinsive treat on the oposing team lebron is still good when plays d on them but he doesnt do it all the time
i know i know wade is not that good on d but he still helps

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 03:48 PM
not that i think lebron is a bad defender but playing alongside wade and battier helped him a lot he gets a lot of credit for what the other players do for him on the defensive side that he dont really deserve most of the games i see battier playin d on the best offinsive treat on the oposing team lebron is still good when plays d on them but he doesnt do it all the time
i know i know wade is not that good on d but he still helps

THANK YOU SIR!:clap:

JNoel
09-23-2012, 03:51 PM
This guy needs to be banned soon, Lebron is an elite defender.

Chacarron
09-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Just stop posting in his threads.

Gram
09-23-2012, 04:06 PM
Overated: Anyone who DoMeFavors and CousinsEvansDUO say is are good defender.

Underated: Tony Allen.

b@llhog24
09-23-2012, 04:10 PM
Underrated-Avery Bradley
Overrated- Rondo and Kobe

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Underrated: George Hill or Thabo Sefolosha
Overrated: Ron Artest or DeShawn Stevenson

Tanakid777
09-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Too many overrated to list. Dominic McGuire underrated

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-23-2012, 04:57 PM
If the OP is banned (I assume he's a dupe), then close this silly thread. :pity:

Corey
09-23-2012, 05:06 PM
Rondo is definitely an overrated defender. Bradley is a much more talented defender.

airforceones25
09-23-2012, 05:15 PM
Overrated - Kobe.... Living off his reputation
Underrated - Eric Bledsoe

Iron24th
09-23-2012, 05:30 PM
Wow this thread is still open?

Swashcuff
09-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Just like I said the OP has been banned before days end and apparently he's been permabanned as well. Good job mods.

As for the thread I'd agree with the Clipper fan who said Bledsoe is underrated defensively he speaks the truth. Bledsoe is probably a top 10 defender at the PG but mostly everyone outside of LAC may not be aware of his defensive value to that team.

Chill_Will_24
09-23-2012, 06:16 PM
no, G-Wall baby

:clap: bout time you show the Nets some love!!! Hell yea Gerald Wallace is the best defender on the Heat

FeltonsBKCrown
09-23-2012, 07:08 PM
I do agree with the idea that Nick Young is actually a very underrated defender. In fact, he might be one of the most underrated players in the NBA. The guy needs to start somewhere so he can really shine on both ends of the floor.