PDA

View Full Version : Iverson: Shoting Guard or Point Guard?

JasonJohnHorn
09-22-2012, 05:22 PM
In, 97, 98, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 he was first on his team in assists.

In 99, 00, 02, 03, 04 he was second on his team in assists.

In 01 was third on his team in assists.

Now, in another thread somebody has taken me to task for saying that Iverson was a PG. They say he was a shooting guard, and while I will freely admit that that Eric Snow play the point alongside Iverson from 99-04 (though in 04 Snow only got 0.1 assists more than Iverson), I claim that Iverson was a PG because he brought the ball up for most of his career, both in his 97 and 98, and from 05 on to his retirement (I'm not even going to get into his time in Detroit, Memphis, or his return back to Philly). In Denver, Iverson brought the ball up most of the time, thouhg, like in Philly, he shared ball handling duties with another PG. In Philly, Snow and Iverson shared ball handling duties from 99-04. In 97, 98 and from 05-09, Iverson was the primary ball handler for the teams on which he played. And always on defence, he took the PG (at 6'0 he wasn't tall enough to cover SG's so the 6'3 Snow was in charge of hanlding the opposing SG).

So... for me the PG position is defined by who brings the ball up. For over half his career Iverson was the primary ball handler. The other half of his career he shared ball handling duties with Eric Snow. And for the entirety of Iverson's career his defensive assisngment was the opposing team's PG.

Admittedly, Iverson was a score-first PG, and some would say a SG in a PG's body, but speaking to what he did on the court, was Iverson a SG? or a PG?

Hustlenomics
09-22-2012, 05:24 PM
there were some years he played point guard but for the most part he played shooting guard with eric snow bringing the ball up and Iverson played off the ball his assists were high for a shooting guard because he was a good playmaker

douglas
09-22-2012, 05:39 PM
It does not matter whether Allen Iverson is a point guard or a shooting guard. Allen Iverson is a basketball player and that is all that matters in the end. He played basketball and made lots of friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.

StarvingKnick22
09-22-2012, 05:45 PM
At the end of the day, He is not practicing

knicks=love
09-22-2012, 05:47 PM
i voted for shooting guard, and i wish i didn't. there isn't an option for combo guard.

Chronz
09-22-2012, 06:02 PM
I rank him as a SG but he should have stuck with trying to become a PG IMO.

It does not matter whether Allen Iverson is a point guard or a shooting guard. Allen Iverson is a basketball player and that is all that matters in the end. He played basketball and made lots of friendships and memories that will last a lifetime.

It matters if you want to rank players by position. You know, something alot of basketball fans care about.

Lakersfan2483
09-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I consider him a shooting guard.

Corey
09-22-2012, 06:26 PM
Scorer.

Forced to be considered a PG because of his size, but he always played like more of a SG.

If I absolutely had to pick, I'd go with shooting guard, but :shrug:

abe_froman
09-22-2012, 06:30 PM
assists are misleading ,kobe,jordan,wade,roy,ect all lead their respective teams in that category(and sometimes were among league leaders) several times.not saying he cant/shouldnt be thought of that way,just since you brought it up i'd give you some food for thought

i usually put him at sg,but have nothing against putting him at pg.

KNICKS R BACK
09-22-2012, 06:31 PM
i dont even wanna hear it...he was a shooting guard...just because he played the 1 on occasion doesnt make him a PG...i dont wanna hear the assist numbers he was a selfish ballhog "me first" chucker...marbury averaged 8 assists throughout most of his career, i dare somebody to tell me he wasnt a ball hog...marbury was a point guard though, iverson wasnt

theheatles
09-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Eric Snow was a PG and only a PG so AI was a SG

LAKERMANIA
09-22-2012, 06:38 PM
SG in a PG's body

Andrew32
09-22-2012, 06:50 PM
He was a ball dominant gunner type SG with very good playmaking ability.

MrX27
09-22-2012, 07:28 PM
AIverson was a SG for a majority of his career, therefore that's what he is known as, although he began his career as a PG.

Swashcuff
09-22-2012, 07:45 PM
Well given the fact that Allen Iverson and Larry Bron themselves both acknowledged the fact that he was an SG asked/forced to play the role of a PG on many occasions if I'd say if i didn't know anything else that's all I need to know to answer this question.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-22-2012, 07:49 PM
Where is the option to vote for shoting guard?

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-22-2012, 07:50 PM
The way he played was as a shooting guard, the position he played was pg.

end of topic.

fulleffect06
09-22-2012, 07:55 PM
The way he played was as a shooting guard, the position he played was pg.

end of topic.

Nope the position he played was both PG and SG. As a sixers fan I know this for a fact. 00-01 season he was listed as the SG.

smith&wesson
09-22-2012, 07:57 PM
shooting gaurd in a pg gaurds body. he was a tweener. built for scoring but had the body of a pg.

MTar786
09-22-2012, 08:40 PM
he was a shooting guard

MTar786
09-22-2012, 08:41 PM
you say because he was ball dominant and took the ball up the floor he was a pg.. but then tht would mean, kobe, wade an lebron were all point guards. your other argument was that he was a pg relative to height.. so if thats ur argument.. then i assume u consider charles barkley a sg?

mrblisterdundee
09-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Shoot-first point guard. Iverson averaged too many assists not to be considered a point guard.

Swashcuff
09-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Shoot-first point guard. Iverson averaged too many assists not to be considered a point guard.

WTF did I just read. Question what is Dwayne Wade? Is he a shoot first PG?

stawka
09-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Whatever category Derrick Rose falls under, Iverson falls under. So PG it is

Sixerlover
09-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Incorrect. AI was a shooting guard.

Sixerlover
09-22-2012, 09:29 PM
To everyone that said he was a PG, do you guys not remember Eric Snow?

Fly
09-22-2012, 09:30 PM
Both.

Swashcuff
09-22-2012, 09:34 PM
How old is the average PSD poster? I'm 22 and I'm starting to feel real old in here.

pd7631
09-22-2012, 09:48 PM
SG, but he did spend a decent portion of his career as a PG. However, his teams were most successful with him as the SG.

Let me break it down for you....

-Before Larry Brown was hired and Eric Snow was brought onto the team, AI was the PG(2 years).

-Upon Snow's arrival, Larry Brown moved AI to the shooting guard, his more natural position(AI might be the most underrated "off the ball" player I've ever witnessed. He's right up there with Reggie Miller and Rip Hamilton with his ability to use screens and get open). Larry Brown was asked if he thought such a small backcourt would hurt the team, Larry said that other teams are gonna have a lot more trouble defending Allen than Allen will have defending them. So, AI was the team's SG for 7 years.

-After Larry Brown left and Randy Ayers failed as head coach, Jim O'Brien was brought in and the team traded E-Snow with the intention of having AI play PG. From this point on in Philly until he was traded, AI was the PG(roughly 2.25 years).

So, in Philly, he spent a little over 4 years as the PG and 7 years as the SG. And as far as I remember, he was mainly the SG in Denver.

JNA17
09-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Shooting Guard. Because he didn't practice enough to be a Point Guard.

Hellcrooner
09-23-2012, 01:31 AM
Neither.
he created a new position for a new century.

the Chuking Guard.

JLynn943
09-23-2012, 01:36 AM
He played both. He's the definition of a combo guard.

SMH!
09-23-2012, 01:53 AM
Neither.
he created a new position for a new century.

the Chuking Guard.

What does Chuking mean?

Knowledge
09-23-2012, 02:09 AM
SG in a PG's body.

naps
09-23-2012, 02:10 AM
For the most part he was a shooting guard in my eyes.

KnickaBocka.44
09-23-2012, 02:33 AM
If he is a point guard, he plummets in all time rankings simply based on responsibilities of the position.

SMH!
09-23-2012, 02:44 AM
If he is a point guard, he plummets in all time rankings simply based on responsibilities of the position.

I agree hes not a point guard, but there are a lot of players who would "plummet" because they did not fulfill the invisible law of responsibilities for their position.

NYKnicksAllDay
09-23-2012, 03:19 AM

Ehhh. Not your best work.

JPS
09-23-2012, 05:39 AM
He played Sg on offense and Pg on d during his best years.

DanG
09-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Shooting Guard.

Alayla
09-23-2012, 09:25 AM

wow that one was actually insightful.

Alayla
09-23-2012, 09:33 AM
To answer the question the Answer will always be a SG What is it with people that whenever they see a high assist 2 they want to call him a 1?!!!Stats don't define position play style does he was an UNSELFISH 2 not a selfish 1 get over it. at this point trying to argue Iverson as i 1 just sends undeserved hate his way.

BoshsTalons
09-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Is Stephon Marbury a PG god or a SG king in China?
His statue doesn't really give the details.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=stephon+marbury+statue&num=10&hl=en&biw=1152&bih=711&tbm=isch&tbnid=eWfiOueRW_UmOM:&imgrefurl=http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/stephon-marbury-statue-unveiled-dennis-rodman/135332&docid=7W9Wc6r78X7hmM&imgurl=http://larrybrownsports.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/stephon-marbury-statue2.jpg&w=500&h=375&ei=sxRfUNuHN8T9ygGs3IHYCw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=275&vpy=164&dur=234&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=157&ty=96&sig=108223358439280351629&page=1&tbnh=178&tbnw=215&start=0&ndsp=16&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:76

TheNumber37
09-23-2012, 10:20 AM
He is a shooting guard. You don't average 33ppg in a season and call yourself a Point Guard.

2-ONE-5
09-23-2012, 12:00 PM
he played seasons at both. pointless thread.

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2012, 06:13 PM
WTF did I just read. Question what is Dwayne Wade? Is he a shoot first PG?

Before LeBron, you could have easily called Wade the point guard in Miami. He's only 6'3," and he obviously facilitated the offense the most - same with Brandon Roy in Portland.

How old is the average PSD poster? I'm 22 and I'm starting to feel real old in here.

Don't turn into a douche bag just because you don't agree with someone's opinion.

Swashcuff
09-23-2012, 06:26 PM
Before LeBron, you could have easily called Wade the point guard in Miami. He's only 6'3," and he obviously facilitated the offense the most - same with Brandon Roy in Portland.

Don't turn into a douche bag just because you don't agree with someone's opinion.

Actually I'm always a doucehbag don't you know that?

That was a horrendously misinformed opinion. Stats don't determine the position you play neither does your size. There are exceptions to that belief that you seem to have. What does Wade's height have to do with anything? If you're going to bring height into the equation quite a few players aren't the position that they are listed as.

If I told you a PG doesn't average 33 ppg what would you say?

Showtime Steve
09-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Only reason he ledhis team in assists is because ball was always in his hands. He is a 2. His height made him a 1. I know its hypothetical and all but if he was at least 6'4"?

mrblisterdundee
09-23-2012, 07:16 PM
Actually I'm always a doucehbag don't you know that?

That was a horrendously misinformed opinion. Stats don't determine the position you play neither does your size. There are exceptions to that belief that you seem to have. What does Wade's height have to do with anything? If you're going to bring height into the equation quite a few players aren't the position that they are listed as.

If I told you a PG doesn't average 33 ppg what would you say?

Iverson also averaged more than twice the number of assists of any other player on his team while scoring 33 points per game. Obviously a shooting guard in a point guard's body, he still played the role of the primary point guard throughout the majority of his career, while scoring a lot.
There were five seasons seasons during the productive portion of Iverson's career where he wasn't the primary distributor, and thus the shooting instead of the point guard. Meanwhile, there were nine seasons where he was the primary distributor.
With his high scoring and being the primary distributor the majority of his career, I think he's a shoot-first point guard - maybe calling him a combo guard would be more recognizable.
(Oh; and how about the Bleacher Report naming him the 11th best point guard ever (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/950542-50-greatest-nba-point-guards-of-all-time/page/41)? I'm sure you know more than they do about who is and isn't a point guard.)

pd7631
09-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Iverson also averaged more than twice the number of assists of any other player on his team while scoring 33 points per game. Obviously a shooting guard in a point guard's body, he still played the role of the primary point guard throughout the majority of his career, while scoring a lot.
There were five seasons seasons during the productive portion of Iverson's career where he wasn't the primary distributor, and thus the shooting instead of the point guard. Meanwhile, there were nine seasons where he was the primary distributor.
With his high scoring and being the primary distributor the majority of his career, I think he's a shoot-first point guard - maybe calling him a combo guard would be more recognizable.
(Oh; and how about the Bleacher Report naming him the 11th best point guard ever (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/950542-50-greatest-nba-point-guards-of-all-time/page/41)? I'm sure you know more than they do about who is and isn't a point guard.)

Lmao, first of all, bleacher report is not the most reputable source. And how do you explain ESPN ranking AI as the 5th greatest SG ever(as of 08')?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailydime?page=dime-greatestsgs

Also, if according to ESPN and Bleacher Reports rankings, he's the 5th best SG ever and the 11th best PG ever, does that make him the 8th best guard ever?

MJ
Magic
Kobe
Oscar
Jerry West
Isiah
Stockton
AI?

I'd say yes, and go as far as putting him ahead of Isiah and Stockton.

Auseranami
09-23-2012, 09:24 PM
A.I. was a shooting guard. As is Derrick rose, and Russell Westbrook. I guess you could argue that rose and Westbrook are "new age" point guards, but I still say they're shooting guards that play the point.

Swashcuff
09-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Did this dude seriously post a BLEACHER REPORT article as his reasoning :laugh2: I mean seriously threads that use Bleacher Report gets closed that site is almost as bad as the Onion I can't believe you're seriously trying to argue with an A.I. fanboy by using a bleacher report article.

Gram
09-24-2012, 08:07 AM
Sg.

Heatcheck
09-24-2012, 09:36 AM

Assists only mean you made the pass before the shot. Iverson didnt have any of the responsibilities of a pg, he was a shooting gaurd who had good passing skills and got doubled alot. He didnt distribute the ball or setup the offense. same goes for wade.

And really? bleacher report? you understand how bleacher report works dont you?

JJ_JKidd
09-24-2012, 09:15 PM
He's a POINTS-guard :rolleyes:

RaiderLakersA's
09-25-2012, 05:30 PM
He was a shootin'!!!!

IversonIsKrazy
09-25-2012, 09:39 PM
SG in a PG's body

Victimize
09-25-2012, 10:06 PM
SG built like a PG. Saying AI is a PG is like saying Monta Ellis is a PG.

Rain City
09-25-2012, 10:06 PM
lead guard or combo guard... a scorer that needed to be complemented with a bigger PG.

JordansBulls
09-26-2012, 01:15 PM
Pg

C_Mund
09-26-2012, 01:51 PM
He was a shooting guard in my opinion. His assists didn't always come from running plays, it was because he dished out of double-teams. If, hypothetically, Duncan led his team in assists because he got the ball every time down the floor and passed out of double-teams would that make him a pg? Iverson's assists were usually a result of not being able to score, not because he was looking for his teammates. True pg's can still score lots but they look to involve everybody, not just whoever happens to be open when the double-team comes.

rhymeratic
09-26-2012, 02:10 PM
He's a GUARD.... Combo. Can't vote without that being a choice.

JordansBulls
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
Thru 2003 he was a SG, from that point on he was a PG. Just look at his number of apg.

--23--
10-06-2012, 07:27 PM
He was just a great 'Guard' plain and simple.

JordansBulls
10-08-2012, 02:14 AM
He was just a great 'Guard' plain and simple.

Yeah but there is a difference between a PG and SG.