PDA

View Full Version : Melky Cabrera ruled Ineligible for batting title

MintBerryCrunch
09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
http://www.csnbayarea.com/09/21/12/EXCLUSIVE-Melky-Cabrera-ruled-ineligible/mobile_landing.html?blockID=777029&feedID=2539

Apparently he asked to be removed from consideration

The Thing
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Well, this will certainly please the anti steroid crowd.

Rush
09-21-2012, 03:05 PM
Good.

gocubs2118
09-21-2012, 03:06 PM
Dumb.

nymetsrule
09-21-2012, 03:07 PM
Good, **** him.

metswon69
09-21-2012, 03:08 PM
Dumb.

He isn't going to cash in on it anymore anyway (considering now most people believe it's tainted) so he might as well.

I give him credit for doing the honest thing.

VRP723
09-21-2012, 03:09 PM
:laugh2: What a joke

jonnydanger1
09-21-2012, 03:12 PM
Wow logic.

MetsFanatic19
09-21-2012, 03:17 PM
He isn't going to cash in on it anymore anyway (considering now most people believe it's tainted) so he might as well.

I give him credit for doing the honest thing.

This. It doesn't make him much less of a jerk, though.

OpenAvalin
09-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Nice!

MygirlhatesCod
09-21-2012, 03:34 PM
good for him

Ares
09-21-2012, 03:35 PM
I wonder why Braun wasn't deemed ineligible after we all found out he was a cheater.

ciaban
09-21-2012, 03:39 PM
apparently he is refusing the extra AB necessary to get to 502 making him the batting champ, and that's how this thing is getting resolved, but lets say they took 1 day longer to suspend him, and he had AB 504, what would happen?

ciaban
09-21-2012, 03:40 PM
I wonder why Braun wasn't deemed ineligible after we all found out he was a cheater. Maybe cause he's a jew.:o

or cause you know, he was exonerated

SB75
09-21-2012, 03:41 PM
I don't understand how some are bashing him for this? He did the right thing, hats off to him.

NYYCowboys
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
If I were him I'd take the batting title. If you ain't cheatin you ain't trying :rolleyes:

metswon69
09-21-2012, 03:51 PM
This. It doesn't make him much less of a jerk, though.

No doubt..

jscotty8
09-21-2012, 04:19 PM
or cause you know, he was exonerated

He wasn't exonerated, the tester didn't follow the chain of custody. He still tested positive for PEDs and he's MVP is tainted.

metswon69
09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
He wasn't exonerated, the tester didn't follow the chain of custody. He still tested positive for PEDs and he's MVP is tainted.

This.

Braun got off on a stupid technicality, there is no question he had supremely abnormal levels of testosterone in his system that could have only been there synthetically.

Tkais9009
09-21-2012, 04:41 PM
I don't understand how some are bashing him for this? He did the right thing, hats off to him.

completely agree

Ron!n
09-21-2012, 05:20 PM
If anybody thinks Melky is doing this out of the goodness of his heart they're delusion. He's trying to repair the damage done and get a contract this summer.

The bigger problem here is that this right now just opened the floodgates. Now there is precedence for Selig and the voters to deny records and accomplished by everyone who's name has been linked to steroids.

Bonds home run record can easily go away, no reason to consider Clemens, Bonds, McGuire, Sosa or countless others in the HOF. Baseball's rules are there for a reason. Selig and his cronies shouldn't be allowed to change what they want just so that he can feel good about himself after he leaves baseball.

Nomar
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM
He did this to make himself look like less of a douche. If he was a stand up guy he wouldnt have lied about it to begin with. I give him no credit for not wanting to be hated in SF for taking a potential batting title away from Posey.

natelpete
09-21-2012, 05:30 PM
Good PR move

abe_froman
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
i like that he's listing to his pr team and trying to rehab his image,he could have just been a douche and take the award

TrueYankee
09-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Well, once the fake website thing never worked out for him this was definitely warranted

Crucis
09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
If anybody thinks Melky is doing this out of the goodness of his heart they're delusion. He's trying to repair the damage done and get a contract this summer.

The bigger problem here is that this right now just opened the floodgates. Now there is precedence for Selig and the voters to deny records and accomplished by everyone who's name has been linked to steroids.

Bonds home run record can easily go away, no reason to consider Clemens, Bonds, McGuire, Sosa or countless others in the HOF. Baseball's rules are there for a reason. Selig and his cronies shouldn't be allowed to change what they want just so that he can feel good about himself after he leaves baseball.

I'm not sure that I'd go this far. To me, the real precedent here is that Melky ASKED to not be considered for the battle title. The commissioner only agreed to accept his request. For any future commish to try to claim that this instance represents a precedent to deny a record or a title on his own authority seems like a real stretch. That's not to say that a commissioner couldn't do such a denial, but to claim that this instance is precedent would be wrong IMO.

It seems to me that the only potential precedent that might be set is for future players in a similar position to ask to not be considered for awards or titles.

koldjerky
09-21-2012, 09:41 PM

I think there is some truth to this, however, how many players do you think would just take it because they were technically eligible to win it? He could have easily said it was his on technical terms. No matter if this was a PR move or not, you got to feel a little good about it considering nearly no one would ever recuse themselves of an award.

Braun didn't give his MVP award up (it was somewhat of a double edged sword with Braun though considering people would have 100% declared him a cheater if he gave up the award due to them thinking he was guilty being the reason he gave it up).

I like that this happened.

rocket
09-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Does the right think, get's hated for it.. oh u guys

odiz
09-21-2012, 09:59 PM

None of the guys you listed have ever tested positive for anything. So no, none of their records can be taken away.

giantspwn
09-21-2012, 10:06 PM
You can't change history just because ya don't like it.

PED's entered the league sometime in the 80's, so unless you suspend all records from then through the present. You'll never truly distinguish who did what. Steroids are apart of baseball, fans just need to accept it. Unless the players union will agree to a consistent blood testing, it's going to continue.

If my baseball career continued past High School, and PED's helped me land a fat multi million dollar contract that would support my family the rest of my life, yes I would do them too.

WSU Tony
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
Did he ask not to be included in the race out of "respect for the game and everyone involved" or did he not want to deal with the backlash of actually winning and the questions/criticism he would have seen?

Classy move or easy way out?

lol, please
09-25-2012, 12:47 AM
:cry:

BrianWestKins
09-25-2012, 01:05 AM
So now what do we do about Barry Bonds's 73 homer season?

lol, please
09-25-2012, 01:07 AM
So now what do we do about Barry Bonds's 73 homer season?

This is uncalled for.

jman
09-25-2012, 02:03 AM
This is uncalled for.

can you blame him taking steroids? if i had talent to play in the majors and try to get big paycheck t hen yes i would do it too i mean your career is for so long steroids made the game more exciting so people saying is the worst thing to ever happen.

MintBerryCrunch
09-25-2012, 02:07 AM
This is uncalled for.

Not really , he cheated. Haha

Yankees90.
09-25-2012, 07:23 AM
:clap: :clap:

Very good.

Pinstripe pride
09-25-2012, 09:06 AM
This is uncalled for.

how is refering to another example of a palyer winning an award/record using steriods uncalled for in a thread about someone beign disqualified for an award due to steriods?

BrianWestKins
09-25-2012, 04:02 PM
This is uncalled for.

It's a legitimate question, no matter how much you might not like it.

This sets a bad precedence for any and all records in this era that may be tainted.

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Wouldn't it be some **** if he was in the AL again this year, and this is what kept Miguel Cabrera from getting the Triple Crown?