PDA

View Full Version : How good are the Dodgers going to be in the future?

xabial
09-18-2012, 09:41 PM
They have a Talented Outfield Locked in through at least five years, a Gold Glove First Baseman signed for the next six years, and Hanley Ramirez for at least two more years. Are they a team of Big Names or do they actually have a Bright Future?

And they may not be done Spending.

Are they getting anywhere? I predict them having a Yankees-Like dynasty somewhere in the future b/c their ownership is Bill Gates, and the Yankees under Hal's ownership are becoming a lot more Frugal Compared to their previous ownership under George. (I saw the Yankees as the only serious threat to their domination..)

nirvana235
09-18-2012, 09:56 PM
lol Nope.

SenorGato
09-18-2012, 10:00 PM
They'll probably be really good over the next couple of years if Kershaw's hip doesn't become a bigger issue.

lol, please
09-18-2012, 10:02 PM
Hopefully not better than the Giants. :)

CHRISDODGERS
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
They'll be good for a couple years, but there is so much that needs to go right for next season. Billingsley, Crawford, Lilly, need to come back strong from injury. Kemp and Kershaw need to stay healthy. And A Gon needs to become 2009 A Gon again. time will tell I guess

Guppyfighter
09-19-2012, 12:49 AM
No. They will not have a bright future.

TheBatchelor213
09-19-2012, 01:00 AM
As a Dodgers fan idk. I like that the ownership was willing to spend but I just dont know if the money was spent wisely. Hopefully they bring in a top of the line starter in the off season a la Greinke, and the lineup adjusts to not just swinging for the fences every at bat.

Rush
09-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Considering they won the division back in August and are going to make their first World Series appearance since 1988, I'd say they have a bright future.

stupidmop
09-19-2012, 01:56 AM
They are a good team now, but really hurting because of injuries. They won't, however, become some kind of dynasty unless they can figure out their starting pitching problems. Kershaw is amazing, but it's a steep cliff after that.

I'm pretty sure this ownership group will put up the bucks to make sure that happens though. I expect them to win their division within the next two years.

T 980
09-19-2012, 02:01 AM
simple answer: no
long answer: no, because **** the Dodgers :)

Ares
09-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
1B-Gonzalez is on a decline, he'll still be a very good 1st baseman, no longer elite/great.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
3B-Hanley is a nice hitter, can't play defense worth a lick.
RF-Ethier can't hit lefties, defense is a joke.
CF-Kemp is obviously an elite player when healthy.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Kershaw has a claim to be the best pitcher in baseball, after that who do they have?

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

Nobody is scared of the Los Angeles Yankees without the winning tradition.

Lincecum4CY
09-19-2012, 02:17 AM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
1B-Gonzalez is on a decline, he'll still be a very good 1st baseman, no longer elite/great.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Kershaw has a claim to be the best pitcher in baseball, after that who do they have?

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

looooooool damn. nicely put haha.

abe_froman
09-19-2012, 02:24 AM
in short term they should be good ,but after a couple years? ehhhh....

i know they have alot of money,but that doesnt mean they have an infinite amount of money(fans too often think this).so if they just keep playing the "lets make a splash" game to play to the fans then they'll be in real trouble long term.but if they are smarter and supplement those high priced guys with cheap,under the radar moves(like yanks usually do),they should be just fine

Jeffy25
09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
Doubtful they will be more than a 85 win team in any future seasons after this one.

I don't think Colletti is a very good GM, and I think the moves he made were very poor one's. And their system is even weaker than it was.

I think they just took on a lot of burdens.

Kemp and Kershaw are still the two biggest bright spots. A-Gone is obviously a good addition, but the rest are just patches, and there isn't enough depth right now. That should be the teams focus for improvements IMO.

The1_Who_knocks
09-19-2012, 05:24 AM
"Yankees suck" good

mikekhelxD
09-19-2012, 05:40 AM
They will be pretty awful. So bad that the Padres will make them look like a minor league team... oh wait.

In all seriousness, I really don't know. I have no idea what happened to this team after the trade. When we got Hanley, we were doing something. After the Bosox trade, everything started to go down.
Kemp then got injured and still suffering, Kershaw as well.
Vic has been disappointing.
Players that are not suppose to get much playing time or any at all, gets them. People are being called up, but really haven't seen any games other than in the dugout.
Brandon league actually is doing very good after the horrific start.
Blanton, well... Blah.
After a great start by Harang and Caps, they have been bad since.
Lilly is still injured.
The one closer we have is injured.
Bullpen is inconsistent.
Uribe still gets playing time.
AJ haven't seen a real day off for like months.
Gordon just got back after a long time in the DL. Fans have argued whether that is good because we saw Cruzzz.
Crawford is for next year.
Players under performing, swinging on ridiculous pitches. When they see a good pitch to hit, they seem to develop a severe acute dementia between pitches.
Mattingly.
New owners spending, but mostly for the greater MO which is the TV deal. It's better than getting stuck with McCourt.
As I say, this year is a eh year for us. Opening roster over achieved, improved roster underachieving.
Once chemistry is establish for next season, then we'll see.
Everybody then can laugh at the Dodgers if we don't make the postseason next year. Including me.

HowFit
09-19-2012, 07:24 AM
Money doesn't buy happiness...

Teufelshunde4
09-19-2012, 08:05 AM
Kind think they have created a money pit.. They have a nice core when everyone is healthy. Gonna have to find enough role players to create some kind of depth..

Beyond Kershaw who will be an effective SP for them in next few years? Gonna have to buy one on free agent market and thats a gamble.

Farm system is going to be a huge disadvantage. Looks as though Ned will have to hope he runs into another team with huge contracts willing to dump them onto his roster for next to nothing.

A lot of flash to what the Dodgers did but little substance to sustain longterm success.

Toxeryll
09-19-2012, 08:09 AM
not good

Pinstripe pride
09-19-2012, 08:20 AM
i dont think i would jump to dynasty quite yet

blue bleeder09
09-19-2012, 09:15 AM
Considering they won the division back in August and are going to make their first World Series appearance since 1988, I'd say they have a bright future.say's the giants fan ,it only took you guys 50+ yrs to win one lol

Rush
09-19-2012, 11:19 AM
say's the giants fan ,it only took you guys 50+ yrs to win one lol

And it sure will take you awhile to even make your first appearance in 25 years without pitching upgrades.

If you didn't realize it was only a joke since a good amount of fans were saying they had that all locked up after the Gonzalez trade. Nothing but mediocre baseball at best since and it's great to watch.

Teufelshunde4
09-19-2012, 11:29 AM
Recent success favors the Giants over the Dodgers there pal.. Giants might end with 2 in 3 years if they get hot in postseason. They have the pitching to do it..

lincecum=future
09-19-2012, 11:46 AM
They will have a top 3 offense in the NL but their pitching leaves A LOT to be desired. NL west should be interesting next year

BKLYNpigeon
09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Dodgers would have to spend another 100 million on players to dig themselves out of this hole.

flea
09-19-2012, 11:51 AM
They'll be mediocre to good for the next 4-6 years, maybe win a division crown or two if they're lucky, and then be god-awful. Pretty much like the Cubs of the last 10 years. I'd pick the under on their chances in that division going forward though. Why? Arizona and San Diego have very deep farms and are both already close to their contention windows. The Giants look better positioned to keep their current run going than do the Dodgers and the Rockies still have some nice players if they can scrape together some pitching (story of their lives).

ManningToTyree
09-19-2012, 12:20 PM
They have a solid 2-3 year window to win.

VRP723
09-19-2012, 12:23 PM
It's funny that everyone is criticizing the Dodgers pitching now. 3rd in the NL in ERA, ahead of SF, ATL, PHI, STL.

Ron!n
09-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Not sure what all the Dodger bashing is for. Will they be expensive? Yes. Will they be good is a different story.

All they really need is for 1 of Crawford/Beckett/A-Gon to get back to their old habits. That doesn't really seem like an impossible task. And its very possible that more than 1 of them bounce back.

Nobody is saying they're not going to be screwed down the line, but theres no reason to say they won't be any good.

Nomar
09-19-2012, 12:44 PM
When they get penalized for passing the luxury tax and their farm system is empty theyre going to be screwed.

Theyre going to be like the Red Sox this year eventually, without the two WS that came before the collapse.

raidersrock99
09-19-2012, 12:48 PM
I would say no this team has 0 chemistry and thy spent about 350 million on 1 good player Hanley the rest are meh.

Rush
09-19-2012, 12:48 PM
It's funny that everyone is criticizing the Dodgers pitching now. 3rd in the NL in ERA, ahead of SF, ATL, PHI, STL.

Capuano and Harang have come back to Earth. Billingsley was pitching well before he got injured, but his track record doesn't suggest he'll sustain that success in the future. He's been up and down the past four season. There's no question mark about Kershaw going forward except this year. Beckett has done fine as a Dodger. And then there's Blanton who needs no explanation. It's really nothing to be scared about right now. I'm curious to see how Beckett pitches the rest of the way and how Billingsley bounces back next season. If those two can pitch well then the Dodgers can have success.

BKLYNpigeon
09-19-2012, 01:38 PM
The Dodgers can spend another 250 million and still not sell out the Stadium.

Mr. LA
09-19-2012, 01:47 PM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

lol very funny buddy... I have a lot of problems with this but I won't say them all, how about just a couple notes on this garbage you just wrote!
1. A couple days ago I was telling my brother "Ethier is the best defensive player I have ever watched, now even if that statement is not true...I'm going to say Ethier is a damn good defensive player and his gold glove backs me up.... I have no idea how you can say he his defense is a joke!
2. Billingsley, Beckett, Capuano, Harang= Trash? hmmm kind of an odd statement here...can you define trash to me young man?
Billingsley - 3.55 ERA Beckett - 3.38 ERA (w/ LA) Capuano - 3.60 ERA and Harang - 3.79 ERA ok, while none of these ERA's are amazing, I'm going to say they are far from trash collectively!
3. Kemp has obviously been playing like crap lately but yet you say "when healthy Kemp is obviously an elite player" which is true however you also say "Crawford? lol, trash" Now Crawford is obviously not healthy either... When Crawford is healthy you can expect a .300 15 HR's 80 RBI's 60 Sb's which is basically elite itself... so why have two different opinions on the same exact situation?
4. Why are you going to try and pin point a team's faults and not point out their strengths if you are going to try and hate? You didn't mention the bullpen which is quite dominant going forward.... Jansen, Guerra, Elbert, Belisario, and League are the main pieces of the pen! I'd take these five over any other bullpen's top 5 guys maybe excluding a couple teams!
5. You said a bunch of other garbage but we'll stop here because you're clearly hating/trolling

Black Betsy
09-19-2012, 01:50 PM
I would still say Arizona is the best team in the west.

VRP723
09-19-2012, 01:52 PM
It's interesting how people change their opinions so drastically in so little time. 3 weeks ago there was a thread "Who wins the NL West?" and everyone was like "Oh definitely the Dodgers they're stacked!" and now it's "The Dodgers suck their pitching is trash and AGon is a loser!!"

Black Betsy
09-19-2012, 01:58 PM

who cares they made more playoff appearances in my life time than the dodgers and won more world series than the dodgers overall. what really matters is now and the dodgers look like scrubs, both management and playing the game.

Black Betsy
09-19-2012, 02:02 PM
agon,kemp,kershaw,crawford,cruz,ethier are great to have on your team the rest are just a liability.

Mr. LA
09-19-2012, 02:08 PM
agon,kemp,kershaw,crawford,cruz,ethier are great to have on your team the rest are just a liability.

LOL where'd you pull that out of?

Black Betsy
09-19-2012, 02:23 PM
LOL where'd you pull that out of?

It's really easy the the dodger gm is a scrub, how do you pick up Hanley who just gave up in Miami, Josh Beckett who probably is in the top 5 of all time in being a cancer for your ball club,than you STACK your team with old scrubs like Juan uribe, Victorino, and the list goes on. I'll put them at 2nd or 3rd in the NL west.

I think Arizona has the better overall lineup, farm system , and pitching in that division next year.

I think Los Angeles are a 80-85 win team max unless they go out and get Zack Grenkie

I think the giant's are just a big bat away to being number better than the dodger's and that bat can be Gary Brown or Josh Hamilton that Buster Onley has said San Fran has a shot of getting.

The Rockies are 2 starting pitchers away to become a legit contender

blue bleeder09
09-19-2012, 03:01 PM

LOL where'd you pull that out of?he's ***

sacgiants1213
09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
It's interesting how people change their opinions so drastically in so little time. 3 weeks ago there was a thread "Who wins the NL West?" and everyone was like "Oh definitely the Dodgers they're stacked!" and now it's "The Dodgers suck their pitching is trash and AGon is a loser!!"

Exactly what I was thinking as I was reading through this thread.

blue bleeder09
09-19-2012, 03:07 PM

And it sure will take you awhile to even make your first appearance in 25 years without pitching upgrades.

If you didn't realize it was only a joke since a good amount of fans were saying they had that all locked up after the Gonzalez trade. Nothing but mediocre baseball at best since and it's great to watch.i heard it more from other team fans than our's ?

SACNYY
09-19-2012, 03:09 PM
lol Yankees type dynasty? No way man. They just invested, what was it again like over 200M into 3 players that totally suck? Beckett is terrible, Crawford can't even get into the ballpark, and Gonzalez is okay but no where near his salary. Gonzalez is not hitting since joining LAD either. His power is sapped out it seems. With moves like these, there's no way. No hope. SF Giants are the team of the NL West.

09-19-2012, 03:11 PM
Mr. LA convinced me they were the best team in MLB. I even picked them to make the post season because of him.

CHRISDODGERS
09-19-2012, 03:38 PM

what does this have to do with anything? lol

d79cheese
09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
I would still say Arizona is the best team in the west.

lol

blue bleeder09
09-19-2012, 05:51 PM

what does this have to do with anything? lolit has nothing to do with anything ,the guys a ****ing troll

Rush
09-19-2012, 05:54 PM
i heard it more from other team fans than our's ?

That's what I mean, along with Mr. LA and fulitdodger (forgot exactly his name).

Rush
09-19-2012, 05:55 PM
Mr. LA convinced me they were the best team in MLB. I even picked them to make the post season because of him.

He's a genius. He's right after all.

Guppyfighter
09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Best line up in the league? lol

sacgiants1213
09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
They just need to clone Luis Cruz.

CHRISDODGERS
09-19-2012, 06:22 PM
They just need to clone Luis Cruz.

This. and murder Shane Victorino

SACNYY
09-19-2012, 06:35 PM

That's pretty funny. lol

blue bleeder09
09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
They just need to clone Luis Cruz.we have guys in dodgers forum wanting dee gordon to start over cruz smh

DodgerB24
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Terrible.

No farm system and an aging core. Not a good combination.

Burkey3472
09-19-2012, 07:04 PM
A lot of their guys are overpaid but they still have talent. I think they need Hanley and A-Gon to return to form to really become a legit WS contender though.

raidersrock99
09-19-2012, 07:36 PM
**** the dossiers can't even win a game they are wors off than before as I stated at the time of the agon trade and everyone laughed at me no middle of the pitching staff guys after kershaw they suck. Also absolutely no consitincey in the lineup 3-4-5 is good? Yes but hasnt done anything yet.

CHRISDODGERS
09-19-2012, 07:51 PM
**** the dossiers can't even win a game they are wors off than before as I stated at the time of the agon trade and everyone laughed at me no middle of the pitching staff guys after kershaw they suck. Also absolutely no consitincey in the lineup 3-4-5 is good? Yes but hasnt done anything yet.

holy run-on sentence batman

Black Betsy
09-20-2012, 11:03 AM
That's what I mean, along with Mr. LA and fulitdodger (forgot exactly his name).

compare the giant's to the diamondbacks overall

The Diamondback's have a better first basemen, a better second basemen,a better outfield, catcher you can make a case, Pitcher's? next year without a doubt Ryan V Is getting old next season he won't be the same, Zito? just no and Lincecum I think everybody just adjusted to his stuff and has become weaker. That Chronic make's you shaky and I'll take the D-backs bullpen over San Francisco. Plus the farm system is way better than San Francisco.

I Know it look's messy but I make my point.

Black Betsy
09-20-2012, 11:06 AM
holy run-on sentence batman

anyone can be batman once.

SenorGato
09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
It's really funny how spending money is perceived nowadays. A decade ago fans wanted to run owners who wouldn't spend out of town. Fans get introduced to rotoball and Moneyball becomes a sensation and boom...owners get to rake in profit as fans work on managing his money for him in the hopes of making the most robotically efficient MLB roster out there.

Humans...fn weird.

theslick1
09-20-2012, 01:03 PM

The Diamondback's have a better first basemen, a better second basemen,a better outfield, catcher you can make a case, Pitcher's? next year without a doubt Ryan V Is getting old next season he won't be the same, Zito? just no and Lincecum I think everybody just adjusted to his stuff and has become weaker. That Chronic make's you shaky and I'll take the D-backs bullpen over San Francisco. Plus the farm system is way better than San Francisco.

Comparing the Giants to the D-backs overall, I see 86-63 vs. 74-74. What difference does it make if the D-backs have a "better" ______ if they don't win more games?

Rush
09-20-2012, 03:01 PM

What do the Dbacks have to do with anything? I was obviously talking about the Dodgers.

LASportsFan1996
09-20-2012, 03:57 PM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

:laugh::laugh:

:shush:Our pitching is TERRIBLE :rolleyes:

This. and murder Shane Victorino

:nod::nod::laugh:

ciaban
09-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Doubtful they will be more than a 85 win team in any future seasons after this one.

I don't think Colletti is a very good GM, and I think the moves he made were very poor one's. And their system is even weaker than it was.

I think they just took on a lot of burdens.

Kemp and Kershaw are still the two biggest bright spots. A-Gone is obviously a good addition, but the rest are just patches, and there isn't enough depth right now. That should be the teams focus for improvements IMO.
NedCo was handcuffed by McCorts cheapness for a very long time, i like some of the moves he has made this year, i agree with you about the hanley trade for sure, who trades cheap young pitching that projects to be a middle rotation guy for an ageing infielder and a left handed reliever, just absurd.

also, what makes 86 wins so imposible for the dodgers going foward?

Not sure what all the Dodger bashing is for. Will they be expensive? Yes. Will they be good is a different story.

All they really need is for 1 of Crawford/Beckett/A-Gon to get back to their old habits. That doesn't really seem like an impossible task. And its very possible that more than 1 of them bounce back.

Nobody is saying they're not going to be screwed down the line, but theres no reason to say they won't be any good.
beckett has pitched very well, and adrian will get things together eventually, i think that the little time this team has had together has made coming together as a cohesive unit difficult, i think next year they will be better, the pitching is a whole different story, that is dependent on Clayton and Bills being healthy. But i think offensivly they will be better next year, regardless of how crawford plays.

i don't really see why they will be screwed down the line the dodgers have a lot of money coming off the books next year and the year after, and most of the big contracts expire simultaneously,

I would say no this team has 0 chemistry and thy spent about 350 million on 1 good player Hanley the rest are meh.
do you mean 35 million? because hanley didn't cost 350, and beckett has pitched well since coming here, and adrian will figure things out eventually, what makes me feel better about him is that he hits righties and lefties equally well, crawford is a toss up, and weather or not this deal turns out to be great or just mediocre depends on him.

It's really easy the the dodger gm is a scrub, how do you pick up Hanley who just gave up in Miami, Josh Beckett who probably is in the top 5 of all time in being a cancer for your ball club,than you STACK your team with old scrubs like Juan uribe, Victorino, and the list goes on. I'll put them at 2nd or 3rd in the NL west.

I think Arizona has the better overall lineup, farm system , and pitching in that division next year.

I think Los Angeles are a 80-85 win team max unless they go out and get Zack Grenkie

I think the giant's are just a big bat away to being number better than the dodger's and that bat can be Gary Brown or Josh Hamilton that Buster Onley has said San Fran has a shot of getting.

The Rockies are 2 starting pitchers away to become a legit contender
Hanley has played really well for the dodgers since coming over, the fact that someone didn't get along with ozzie guillen isn't that shocking.

The problem in boston was a lot more than just Josh Beckett, it's really unfair to heap all the blame on him, and he has pitched well in LA so far,

NedCo traded for victorino because we had a huge hole in LF, and he could be used as lead off hitter, which was another huge whole, plus he still plays good defense, while he hasn't lit up the score board, that trade doesn't bother me.

the uribe signing has a lot to do with McCort, NedCo was totally handcuffed on payroll, he basiclly had to gamble on people like urbie who was coming off a good year and could fill the hole at 3rd, it obviously didn't work out, but lets not pretended like the deck has been loaded in his favor since he has been hired.

Yeah the diamondbacks have the best everything in the NL west, the best manager, they will have the best pitching next year, with Ian Kennedy, skags, corbin, cahil, yeah they will be really good next year. Everyone should watch out for them.

As a dodger fan i would love it if the Giants wasted money on Hamilton, also Gary brown is a speedy lead off hitter, not a big bat. Plus Angel Pagan is going on 32 is having one of the healthiest and productive years of his career, he is probably gone in Free Agency and even if he stay i don't see him ageing well because speed is usually the first thing to go, and his game is built around speed. Also, Lincecum has lost his control, or people have figured him out, even if he does pitch well next year, the giants have made every effort not to sign him long term he is gone, the wheels on Ryan Vogelsong are already coming off, i don't see him being a dominate front of the rotation pitcher next year or after, Zito sucks, so that just leave Cain and Bumgarner, i think if they are going to win another world title, they should do it soon.

The Rockies are a good bullpen and three good starting pitchers + two solid back of the rotation guys away from competing, something they have never had in abundance. so they don't worry me.

lol Yankees type dynasty? No way man. They just invested, what was it again like over 200M into 3 players that totally suck? Beckett is terrible, Crawford can't even get into the ballpark, and Gonzalez is okay but no where near his salary. Gonzalez is not hitting since joining LAD either. His power is sapped out it seems. With moves like these, there's no way. No hope. SF Giants are the team of the NL West.
beckett has pitched well since coming to LA idk what all the Beckett hate has been about, why wouldn't he pitch better leaving an extreem hitters park in the AL East for a pitchers park in the NL? Gonzales is still adjusting, and i think it's still very early to mock carl crawford, why don't we let time be the judge?

lol

very very well said, they have a scary team and a better coach, and gm. their really good at drafting too.

Rush
09-20-2012, 06:49 PM
very very well said, they have a scary team and a better coach, and gm. their really good at drafting too.

Except the Diamondbacks weren't being talked about at the time. That was irrelevant.

More-Than-Most
09-20-2012, 07:04 PM

I have stated from the time the trade was announced that they made a huge mistake and would not only regret it long term but in the short term as well... I said they gave Boston a get out of jail free card while really hurting their all ready good team... They had the ability to build a great team for years to come and squandered that by adding over priced talent with an already top heavy team and a depleted farm. People think they seem to have a limitless amount of money to spend but that isn't even close to the case...They will top out around the luxury tax like every other team because spending and not winning gets old quickly. Yes some people might be jumping on the they will be bad for years to come because of their recent play but lets not forget the thread when the Dodgers made the trade and how many people predicted this from the start. Could they be great? Sure but buying a bunch of talent and throwing them into a team is not the recipe for success...Some teams have proved to make it work but the Majority fail with it.

The Phillies are an interesting comparison...Young team with a super hitting line up and a young farm with a ton of money to spend if they wanted.... We then decided to buy/buy/buy and hand out dumb contracts on top of giving away our young talent and depleted our farm...The recipe we used for success was thrown out the window because of our ability to spend. We had a chance at a dynasty but because of our big move after big move cut our team off at the ankles and wasted what could have been another 5-7 years of greatness because we fell inlove with spending and trading. We could still be great and maybe luck into a world series but our window closed a lot faster and the Dodgers seem to be mirroring us no?

Guppyfighter
09-20-2012, 07:16 PM
Yeah, I have stated at the start of the trade you can't build through trades.

PayDaPiper
09-20-2012, 07:17 PM
The Dodgers were a better team before they made 300 million in aquisitions, 9-14 since all Dodgers fans thought the World Series was a guarentee, LMAO

CHRISDODGERS
09-20-2012, 07:55 PM
The Dodgers were a better team before they made 300 million in aquisitions, 9-14 since all Dodgers fans thought the World Series was a guarentee, LMAO

Yes, we were better with Tony Gwynn Jr, Juan Rivera, Elian Herrera, James Loney and Adam Kennedy all starting. 23 games is a huge sample size right? And who exactly guaranteed a WS? Mr. LA? please.

and you misspelled "guarantee".

DodgerB24
09-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Billingsley? Trash.

In what world is Bills trash?

CHRISDODGERS
09-20-2012, 08:06 PM
In what world is Bills trash?

In Ares world. I guess being a top-30 starter in baseball is trash.

odiz
09-20-2012, 08:08 PM

Yea you guys are better at every position and all of your starters are way better... Thats why the Dbacks are 12.5 back. Every year were supposed to 'Watch out for the Diamondbacks'. And yet you guys havent put together back to back seasons with more then 82 wins since 2003. This is the Giants division for the foreseeable future.

LASportsFan1996
09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes, we were better with Tony Gwynn Jr, Juan Rivera, Elian Herrera, James Loney and Adam Kennedy all starting. 23 games is a huge sample size right? And who exactly guaranteed a WS? Mr. LA? please.

and you misspelled "guarantee".

Much better :rolleyes:

2-ONE-5
09-20-2012, 09:28 PM
they are the Knicks of baseball. Full of names and will always be overrated and underachieve.

LASportsFan1996
09-20-2012, 09:32 PM
they are the Knicks of baseball. Full of names and will always be overrated and underachieve.

Yes, we can tell after 3 months

Derek Brink
09-20-2012, 09:44 PM
It's amazing how dumb some of the posters on these boards are.

I don't know if it's just the fact that small market teams get intimidated by big market teams or what but the fact that they constantly act like you can't spend money on free agents/trades and sign international free agents/draft picks is hilarious.

I guess it's a product of how little fans actually know about other teams yet still want to talk about them.

Stan Kasten is the Dodgers President. Please look up his credentials noobs and then come back and tell us Dodgers fans how we'll just empty the system and never restock it. It's comical how everyone constantly brings up Colletti yet then fails to mention his boss is one of the most well thought of execs in the history of baseball.

Kasten said it himself, the Dodgers made a splash this year because McCourt left their major league team a mess and they system a mess. They are going to restock both and going forward will focus just as much on drafting/scouting/international spending as big name signings.

Btw the Dodgers signed 3 big time international free agents this year(and maybe on the verge of adding a fourth Shohei Otani), kept 3 of their top 4 prospects and had a very solid draft this year. If the Dodgers were just trading for older players than what people are predicting would make sense but that is not the case by any means.

Lastly I know small market teams fans cant' comprehend this but there's this thing called free agency. Anyone who thinks the Dodgers go in to next season and don't sign one major free agent is a fool.

UPRock
09-20-2012, 09:53 PM
They suck and they're going to be worse, why? Because they're the Dodgers.

LASportsFan1996
09-20-2012, 10:04 PM
What a great post, lets all bow to that post :worthy: ^^^

Rush
09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
The Dodgers can definitely be a threat if they add a number two starter or a couple quality arms. The lineup will be fine next year I believe, but they need the pitching to back it up. They may be able to get to the Postseason without ok pitching, but they won't go far without good pitching.

Guppyfighter
09-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Yea you guys are better at every position and all of your starters are way better... Thats why the Dbacks are 12.5 back. Every year were supposed to 'Watch out for the Diamondbacks'. And yet you guys havent put together back to back seasons with more then 82 wins since 2003. This is the Giants division for the foreseeable future.

It will be a three man race next year and it's not a lock for the Giants.

Bo Sox Fan
09-20-2012, 11:30 PM
I thought Josh Beckett just needed a change of scenery to be re-establish himself again? Hasn't been great since 2007.

I thought Carl Crawford just needed a change of scenery to re-establish himself again? We won't know for another 10 months.

I thought Adrian Gonzalez was going to put the Dodgers offence over the top? It somehow got worse.

These 3 players mentioned above made Dodger fans whiz there pants with joy when they we're brought in because they looked so good on paper with Kemp, Ramirez, Victorino and Kershaw, but blindly forgot these 3 players were dumped from Boston because they were the key ingredients to last September's collapse.

The San Francisco Giants have hands down the better pitching, chemisty and all around better ball club. The Dodgers ARE proving to be nothing more than the New York Jets of football. They're terrible now, and the future looks even worse being stuck with multi mega million dollar contracts and a depleted farm system.

LASportsFan1996
09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
I thought Josh Beckett just needed a change of scenery to be re-establish himself again? Hasn't been great since 2007.

I thought Carl Crawford just needed a change of scenery to re-establish himself again? We won't know for another 10 months.

I thought Adrian Gonzalez was going to put the Dodgers offence over the top? It somehow got worse.

These 3 players mentioned above made Dodger fans whiz there pants with joy when they we're brought in because they looked so good on paper with Kemp, Ramirez, Victorino and Kershaw, but blindly forgot these 3 players were dumped from Boston because they were the key ingredients to last Septembers collapse.

The San Francisco Giants have hands down the better pitching, chemisty and all around better ball club. The Dodgers ARE proving to be nothing more than the New York Jets of football. They're terrible now, and the future looks even worse being stuck with multi mega million dollar contracts and a depleted farm system.

Another pre judger, awesome work people, lets not give it time at all

Bo Sox Fan
09-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Time? Really?

Your team is in the wild card race NOW and only 2 games back, yet keep finding a way to lose almost daily. Don't you see a problem here?

Time? If the time isn't now, than when is the time? Because the playoffs are coming soon, and that's what your team is striving for isn't it?

Time? If I was ever to judge this LA Dodger team, the time would be NOW don't you think?

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Time? Really?

Your team is in the wild card race NOW and only 2 games back, yet keep finding a way to lose almost daily. Don't you see a problem here?

Time? If the time isn't now, than when is the time? Because the playoffs are coming soon, and that's what your team is striving for isn't it?

Time? If I was ever to judge this LA Dodger team, the time would be NOW don't you think?

yeah it's not like the Dodgers two best pitchers are out for the season right or that the Dodgers closer missed a huge chunk of the 2nd half. Oh let's not forget they've had Crawford for 0 games, Gonzalez for less than 35, Hanley for less than half a season and that Kemp will end up missing 60 games.

I'm sure the Giants would be great if

Bumgarner was out for the season- Bills
Cain was out for the season- Kershaw
Vogelsong was out for the season- Lilly
Posey had missed 60 games- Kemp
Pablo only played half the season for them- Hanley

and on and on. Anyone who is blasting the Dodgers for their mediocre play and not taking in to account the fact they have had so many injuries is a dolt. Any of the elite level teams would be struggling to make the playoffs with the amount of injuries we've had.

I really shouldn't get in to judging a team that just got assembled on a 30 game sample size but message boards are full of dolts like you so it is what it is.

Guppyfighter
09-21-2012, 01:59 AM
A's have had more injuries in a tougher division.

LASportsFan1996
09-21-2012, 02:09 AM
yeah it's not like the Dodgers two best pitchers are out for the season right or that the Dodgers closer missed a huge chunk of the 2nd half. Oh let's not forget they've had Crawford for 0 games, Gonzalez for less than 35, Hanley for less than half a season and that Kemp will end up missing 60 games.

and on and on. Anyone who is blasting the Dodgers for their mediocre play and not taking in to account the fact they have had so many injuries is a dolt. Any of the elite level teams would be struggling to make the playoffs with the amount of injuries we've had.

I really shouldn't get in to judging a team that just got assembled on a 30 game sample size but message boards are full of dolts like you so it is what it is.

:laugh::worthy::worthy::win::laugh:

More-Than-Most
09-21-2012, 02:15 AM

Do I get to use the Injury excuse with the Phillies as well?

Worley
Halladay
Lee
Blanton
Ruiz
Howard
Utley
Polanco

I might be forgetting some as well... Injuries happen to all teams...The teams with the lack of depth end up needing the excuses made for them...The Phillies have a lack of depth of major league ready talent in the minors and that hurt us.

agureghian
09-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

dude. You're trash.
you have no idea what youre talking about.

roylikeswaffles
09-21-2012, 05:18 AM
Beckett's been decent for the Dodgers in 5 starts, and Billingsley and Capuano are perfectly fine 3rd and 4th starters. If Beckett actually pitches well and Crawford comes back to hit they'll be a tough team to face next year.

Nomar
09-21-2012, 02:36 PM
It's amazing how dumb some of the posters on these boards are.

I don't know if it's just the fact that small market teams get intimidated by big market teams or what but the fact that they constantly act like you can't spend money on free agents/trades and sign international free agents/draft picks is hilarious.

I guess it's a product of how little fans actually know about other teams yet still want to talk about them.

Stan Kasten is the Dodgers President. Please look up his credentials noobs and then come back and tell us Dodgers fans how we'll just empty the system and never restock it. It's comical how everyone constantly brings up Colletti yet then fails to mention his boss is one of the most well thought of execs in the history of baseball.

Kasten said it himself, the Dodgers made a splash this year because McCourt left their major league team a mess and they system a mess. They are going to restock both and going forward will focus just as much on drafting/scouting/international spending as big name signings.

Btw the Dodgers signed 3 big time international free agents this year(and maybe on the verge of adding a fourth Shohei Otani), kept 3 of their top 4 prospects and had a very solid draft this year. If the Dodgers were just trading for older players than what people are predicting would make sense but that is not the case by any means.

Lastly I know small market teams fans cant' comprehend this but there's this thing called free agency. Anyone who thinks the Dodgers go in to next season and don't sign one major free agent is a fool.

Only major FA's are Hamilton and Greinke, and i doubt either end up in LA. You guys should focus on making sure you lock up Kershaw.

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Only major FA's are Hamilton and Greinke, and i doubt either end up in LA. You guys should focus on making sure you lock up Kershaw.

Greinke, Marcum, and Peavy should be Dodgers focus. With a healthy Kershaw, Lilly, Bills and a full season of Beckett and one of Greinke/Marcum/Peavy Dodgers would have an excellent rotation(especially since Zach Lee, Matt Magill and Chris Reed should all be pushing for rotation spots at sometime next year).

Just don't see why Dodgers are likely to end up close to 85 wins this year with so many injuries and late season trades but they can't improve in the future.

Look at the White Sox this year. Are they really more talented than the Dodgers? I don't think so. People completely wrote the Sox off because they have some older players like the Dodgers. Just because a guy like Gonzalez has a mediocre year it doesn't mean he's now on a huge downslide. People completely underestimate how much the loss of Kershaw, Bills, Kemp and Jansen hurt this team. Imagine losing your #1, #2, closer and having your best player play injured for the last 4-6 weeks.

It basically crippled this team.

When next year begins

C Ellis 32/Fed Ex 25
1B Adrian Gonzalez 30
2B Mark Ellis 35/Castellanos 27
SS Dee Gordon 24/Luis Cruz 29
3B Hanley 29
LF Crawford 31/Puig 22
CF Kemp 28
RF Ethier 31

1 Kershaw 25
2. Billingsley 28
3. Beckett 32
4. Capuano 34
5. Lilly/Harang/Magill

Closer Kenley 25

they aren't this old team on a downward spiral like people like to act. I also think it' silly to say AGon, Hanley and Crawford will never put up the numbers they once did. These aren't 34 year olds. They are 29,30 and 31.

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Worley
Halladay
Lee
Blanton
Ruiz
Howard
Utley
Polanco

I might be forgetting some as well... Injuries happen to all teams...The teams with the lack of depth end up needing the excuses made for them...The Phillies have a lack of depth of major league ready talent in the minors and that hurt us.

Injuries happen to all teams but it's often the teams that stay the most healthy who end up making the playoffs.

I agree that depth is huge but half the Dodgers team wasn't acquired until 5 weeks were left in the season. If they had Agon, Hanley and Crawford for the entire season they probably don't go in to the enormous funk they did midseason when Kemp and Ethier got injured.

btw the Phillies are what people act like the Dodgers are. Utley, Howard, and Polanco are all well past their primes.

ATL#22
09-21-2012, 04:15 PM

You didnt lose kershaw for an entire season and hanley hasnt been injured. Sandoval has been injured a lot for the Giants and they lost Cabrera for 50 games. Do you know who Brian Wilson is? 2 ip all year. On top of that your idiot management traded for Crawford knowing he was out for the year so thats a terrible excuse. Everyone has to deal with injuries the Dodgers just arent that good.

DodgerDogg
09-21-2012, 04:37 PM
This is what I think happened.... With so much talent on this offensive line up, everyone has been trying too hard to produce. In case you haven't been watching Dodger baseball we have had opposing teams score a run in the first there fore were behind most of the game then adding some pressure for the line up to produce. Our starting line up has collapsed, our bullpen is being abused. Remember in the start of the year this team wasn't even in talks about being a 500 team. We have only had this lineup for about 1 month or so(the boston trade to complete it). Let this team build the chemistry and play a full season. Cant wait to see what colletti can come up with in the starting rotation this off season. If the holes are filled in we will be a force to be reckoned with next year. The offense is locked. We need to now focus on pitching.

DodgerDogg
09-21-2012, 04:42 PM

Oh you mean since Kemp was injured, Bills also and the fact that the Dodgers are playing one of the harder schedules. Easy to say your a winner when the Giants are playing below 500 teams and act like Pagan is the man. What a joke.

DodgerDogg
09-21-2012, 04:58 PM
You know you have a good pitching staff when you make marco scutaro look good

Young2Kinsler
09-21-2012, 05:08 PM
They will be pretty awful. So bad that the Padres will make them look like a minor league team... oh wait.

In all seriousness, I really don't know. I have no idea what happened to this team after the trade. When we got Hanley, we were doing something. After the Bosox trade, everything started to go down.
Kemp then got injured and still suffering, Kershaw as well.
Vic has been disappointing.
Players that are not suppose to get much playing time or any at all, gets them. People are being called up, but really haven't seen any games other than in the dugout.
Brandon league actually is doing very good after the horrific start.
Blanton, well... Blah.
After a great start by Harang and Caps, they have been bad since.
Lilly is still injured.
The one closer we have is injured.
Bullpen is inconsistent.
Uribe still gets playing time.
AJ haven't seen a real day off for like months.
Gordon just got back after a long time in the DL. Fans have argued whether that is good because we saw Cruzzz.
Crawford is for next year.
Players under performing, swinging on ridiculous pitches. When they see a good pitch to hit, they seem to develop a severe acute dementia between pitches.
Mattingly.
New owners spending, but mostly for the greater MO which is the TV deal. It's better than getting stuck with McCourt.
As I say, this year is a eh year for us. Opening roster over achieved, improved roster underachieving.
Once chemistry is establish for next season, then we'll see.
Everybody then can laugh at the Dodgers if we don't make the postseason next year. Including me.

mehmehemhehmehem meh
Summary please

Rivera
09-21-2012, 05:23 PM

wait.....do my redsox get an injury excuse to? i think if im right over the past 2 seasons we have had our opening day roster for a total of 1 game ...thats over 324 games we have had our opening day lineup for 1 game

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 05:28 PM
You didnt lose kershaw for an entire season and hanley hasnt been injured. Sandoval has been injured a lot for the Giants and they lost Cabrera for 50 games. Do you know who Brian Wilson is? 2 ip all year. On top of that your idiot management traded for Crawford knowing he was out for the year so thats a terrible excuse. Everyone has to deal with injuries the Dodgers just arent that good.

Keep on derping. It's kind of funny the people who keep refuting my point only say oh but we had injuries too.

Btw have fun getting eliminated in the first round because of how massively overrated the Giants pitchers are.

The Dodgers problem isn't just the injuries. It's when they happened. You say everyone has injuries but please tell me if the Cardinals, Brewers, Braves, Orioles, A's or Angels lost their two best starting pitchers, their closer and had their best player severely hurt his shoulder all in the last 6 weeks of the season.

The Dodgers problem is they suffered injuries at the worst time possible. Also no the Giants haven't even suffered close to as many injuries as the Dodgers and I won't even get in to you equating losing Pablo "787 OPS" to Matt Kemp.

Rivera
09-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Keep on derping. It's kind of funny the people who keep refuting my point only say oh but we had injuries too.

Btw have fun getting eliminated in the first round because of how massively overrated the Giants pitchers are.

every team has injuries...that excuse is wack come up with something better than "oh my team has had injuries"

Rivera
09-21-2012, 05:31 PM
:laugh::laugh:

:shush:Our pitching is TERRIBLE :rolleyes:

:nod::nod::laugh:

Much better :rolleyes:

Yes, we can tell after 3 months

What a great post, lets all bow to that post :worthy: ^^^

:laugh::worthy::worthy::win::laugh:

do you have anything constructive to add to this thread? or are you going to continue to chastise those who are critical of the dodgers and their performance so far since the trade and agree with everything pro-dodgers?

homer alert

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
every team has injuries...that excuse is wack come up with something better than "oh my team has had injuries"

no every team does not lose a cy young award winner, one of the best closers in the game, one of the top 25 pitchers over the last 5 years all down the stretch of the season.

It's hilarious how people keep saying this when it's not true by any means.

If the Cardinals had lost Wainwright, Lohse, Motte and Craig was injured for the last 5 weeks of the season do you really think they would of pulled away from a healthy Dodgers team?

Rivera
09-21-2012, 05:38 PM
no every team does not lose a cy young award winner, one of the best closers in the game, one of the top 25 pitchers over the last 5 years all down the stretch of the season.

It's hilarious how people keep saying this when it's not true by any means.

If the Cardinals had lost Wainwright, Lohse, Motte and Craig was injured for the last 5 weeks of the season do you really think they would of pulled away from a healthy Dodgers team?

the cardinals won the world series last year with adam wainwright lost for the season and are in the playoffs with chris carpenter injured for the majority of the season

so your argument is invalid

and the red sox have had there opening day roster 1 time the past 2 years ....again your argument is invalid

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
do you have anything constructive to add to this thread? or are you going to continue to chastise those who are critical of the dodgers and their performance so far since the trade and agree with everything pro-dodgers?

homer alert

yes he's a homer for saying you can't judge an injured team on a 35 game sample but the posters who have concluded this team has little value going forward(based on a 35 game sample) they are objective?

I give up according to you every team loses a Kershaw, Billingsley, Jansen and has a Kemp type player miss 50 games and play the 2nd half injured.

Derek Brink
09-21-2012, 05:39 PM
the cardinals won the world series last year with adam wainwright lost for the season

so your argument is invalid

and the red sox have had there opening day roster 1 time the past 2 years ....again your argument is invalid

Adam Wainright= Clayton Kershaw, Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly and Kenley Jansen?

Jesus Wainright must be a ****ing god.

Also lol at a team that massively under produced because of chemistry and injuries(the Sox) somehow refuting the point that the Dodgers are struggling because of injuries and the fact their roster hasn't meshed yet.

Rivera
09-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Adam Wainright= Clayton Kershaw, Matt Kemp, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly and Kenley Jansen?

Also lol at a team that massively under produced because of chemistry and injuries(the Sox) somehow refuting the point that the Dodgers are struggling because of injuries and the fact their roster hasn't meshed yet.

adam wainwright is a former cy young winner like clayton kershaw but go ahead and bash me when i proved you wrong

Rush
09-21-2012, 06:11 PM
Cant wait to see what colletti can come up with in the starting rotation this off season.

I can't wait either.

Oh you mean since Kemp was injured, Bills also and the fact that the Dodgers are playing one of the harder schedules. Easy to say your a winner when the Giants are playing below 500 teams and act like Pagan is the man. What a joke.

At least we pound the under .500 teams in our division like a good team should unlike you guys (Giants vs Rockies/Dbacks/Padres 27-15 and Dodgers vs Rockies/Dbacks/Padres 22-27).

So now we're using the schedule as an excuse. Did you forget that the Dodgers had a cake walk of a schedule the first month of the season? It goes both ways.

And who exactly is acting like Pagan is a god? Ha nobody. His praise has been warranted having a .424 wOBA in August and .356 wOBA in September. Keep reaching and trying to justify your crappy season, pal.

You know you have a good pitching staff when you make marco scutaro look good

What? Scutaro's been a great addition since he became a Giant. I don't understand what point you're trying to make.

P.S. I see you (http://mlbmemes.com/2012/09/20/i-see-that-the-giants-are-still-leading-the-nl-west/)

raidersrock99
09-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Dodgers are god we can't even discuss it.

LASportsFan1996
09-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Ignore anything Rivera says about me, dude hates me anyways

ciaban
09-21-2012, 06:33 PM

Worley
Halladay35
Lee34
Blantonwho cares
Ruiz33
Howard32
Utley33
Polanco36

the philles definitely had a lot of injuries, and injuries happen to every team and they happen to young guys like worley too, but it's a little less surprising with the phillies look at the ages, and a catcher like ruiz getting hurt isn't that shocking, howard and utley have been having injury issues the last several years, so yes, deapth is very important, and the phillies lost some very important people just like the dodgers did, at one point we were running out a line up with juan rivera and james loney cleaning up, so yeah the dodgers have had it bad at times.

adam wainwright is a former cy young winner like clayton kershaw but go ahead and bash me when i proved you wrong
which year did he win the cy young again please remind me.

LASportsFan1996
09-21-2012, 06:36 PM
Adam Wainwright never won a Cy Young

Rush
09-21-2012, 06:39 PM
I think that's what he was trying to get at.

LASportsFan1996
09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
I think that's what he was trying to get at.

I know...

Rush
09-21-2012, 06:45 PM
Ok...........

sf-fanatic
09-21-2012, 06:49 PM
They should just lockout next year and give the Dodgers the WS already.

Rivera
09-21-2012, 07:06 PM
Ignore anything Rivera says about me, dude hates me anyways

i hate you? WHAT? lolol i dont hate anyone in an internet forum we just have fun with you in the wrestling forum....what a way to deflect the "input" or lack their of you contributed to this thread

make a serious response about the topic for once in your time on psd

which year did he win the cy young again please remind me.

my bad for some reason i thought wainwright won a cy young somewhere between 09-10

he was top 3 in 09 and the runner up in 2010 ... hes still a damn good pitcher that the cardinals lost for an entire season and still won the WS making my point that injuries are no excuse

CHRISDODGERS
09-21-2012, 08:18 PM
They should just lockout next year and give the Dodgers the WS already.

again... who is saying that?

Vampirate
09-21-2012, 09:51 PM
For the amount of money the Dodgers shelled out, I find the haul they got to be lackluster.

odiz
09-21-2012, 10:22 PM

We play pretty much the same schedules. Home and away with out of division NL teams and then roughly 15 games each with NL West teams. We just played the harder out of the division teams like the Reds and Nationals earlier in the year. You guys are 10 games back, weve both had plenty of injuries, enough with the excuses.

The fact of the matter is you guys are 28-35 against the NL West. It doesnt matter if you have a tough schedule if you cant beat the weaker teams.

CHRISDODGERS
09-21-2012, 10:28 PM
We play pretty much the same schedules. Home and away with out of division NL teams and then roughly 15 games each with NL West teams. We just played the harder out of the division teams like the Reds and Nationals earlier in the year. You guys are 10 games back, weve both had plenty of injuries, enough with the excuses.

The fact of the matter is you guys are 28-35 against the NL West. It doesnt matter if you have a tough schedule if you cant beat the weaker teams.

this, we had injuries up the *** but we needed to beat teams inferior to us. we just didn't play well down the stretch and thats noones fault but ours

d79cheese
09-21-2012, 10:32 PM

Jesus I'm arguing with simpletons.

btw 32,000 posts in 2.5 years? Are you ****ing kidding me?

Not saying I necessarily disagree with you except on one point, you act as if Kershaw has missed any sort of signicant time. He's missed one start (the other "missed start" was from being pushed back to his original turn in the rotation).

d79cheese
09-21-2012, 10:34 PM

Lol you mean the Giants are playing the Dodgers April schedule now....

Rush
09-21-2012, 11:30 PM
this, we had injuries up the *** but we needed to beat teams inferior to us. we just didn't play well down the stretch and thats noones fault but ours

:clap: Thank you. A Dodger fan that finally realizes this.

Nomar
09-21-2012, 11:49 PM
I think Crawford will bring a lot more to the table in a more spacious park. It will let his defensive range become an asset again, unlike it was in Boston.

Hanley Ramirez is trouble though. He isnt hitting enough to outweigh his defense. Hell be above average (2+ WAR), but wont be worth the big money.

ciaban
09-22-2012, 12:19 AM

your injuries haven't been to people as important as ours, a lot of what the giants had go wrong was the bullpen and that happened in April so it gives you guys time to fix things, what starter have you lost? other than pablo have you lost any important hitter for a significant time?(melky doesn't count, because had he not been juicing he wouldn't have played as well as he had) \

we had to sweep teams like the rockies and padres we just weren't doing our job,

Rush
09-22-2012, 12:32 AM
we had to sweep teams like the rockies and padres we just weren't doing our job,

Exactly. You weren't good enough. Even the past month since the big trades you haven't played well against the NL West.

bullocks
09-22-2012, 04:13 AM
Doubtful. The Dodgers always flop. Not sure why people should even entertain the idea of them being successful until they show us something. They were tied with San Fran a month ago then got swept at home i believe and now are around 10 games back. They're just not a very good team weither or not theyve been injured (excuses).

It boggles my mind how a team barely over .500 can even have hopes of making the playoffs as well. The 2nd wild card is a joke.

Station 13
09-22-2012, 09:06 AM
Dodgers need to worry about the Padres too. They will be quite competitive for 2013.

BKLYNpigeon
09-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Ultimately, putting aside the money the Dodgers spent. they did get better.

If Crawford never played again.. and you ate his contract.

Beckett is an ok 4th or 5th starter..

you still got Adrian Gonzales.. in this whole mess.

better team, but BAD, BAD, BAD Front Office decisions. I know they have alot of money to spend, but wasting 250 million will make any billionaire sweat. if you think about it $250 million could have bought you the KC Royals.

raidersrock99
09-22-2012, 01:25 PM
your injuries haven't been to people as important as ours, a lot of what the giants had go wrong was the bullpen and that happened in April so it gives you guys time to fix things, what starter have you lost? other than pablo have you lost any important hitter for a significant time?(melky doesn't count, because had he not been juicing he wouldn't have played as well as he had) \

How does melky nt count we lost our beat hitter and banded together. Lost some bullpen arms. Injuries are part of the game if you have depth then it shouldn't matter. Dodgers are what I like to call all star on paper but nothing special on the field. Next year they will compete then fizzle off it's what they are good at

Rush
09-22-2012, 01:49 PM
How does melky nt count we lost our beat hitter and banded together. Lost some bullpen arms. Injuries are part of the game if you have depth then it shouldn't matter. Dodgers are what I like to call all star on paper but nothing special on the field. Next year they will compete then fizzle off it's what they are good at

I would not count them out next year, especially if they add a quality starting pitcher or two.

bagwell368
09-22-2012, 04:30 PM
I think Crawford will bring a lot more to the table in a more spacious park. It will let his defensive range become an asset again, unlike it was in Boston.

Hanley Ramirez is trouble though. He isnt hitting enough to outweigh his defense. Hell be above average (2+ WAR), but wont be worth the big money.

But CC will be 4 years older in April '13 then he was in April '09 - the last season he ranged around for TB earning lots of defensive points.

His SBO% (steals made out of all potential steal possibilities) has been going down since his peak in 2006 (not including his statistically insignificant season in 2012).

Based on those two trends - I see him as a plus in the field, but not the same in 2013 as he was in 2009 and before.

MintBerryCrunch
09-22-2012, 04:35 PM
Not very good at all.

C-Ellis is solid.
2B-Nobody.
SS-Dee Gordon, trash.
LF-Crawford? Lol, trash.

Billingsley? Trash.
Beckett? Trash.
Capuano? Trash.
Harang? Trash.
Some AAAA Scrub?

I spot a hater :rolleyes:

ciaban
09-22-2012, 04:49 PM
because if he wasn't juicing you wouldn't have had the same player that won all-star mvp, without him cheating you get whatever crap he was producing in ATL, so it really shouldn't count. Also, some bullpen arms isnt really the same thing as what the dodgers lost, and it was all very early so you could fill those spots quickly

Rush
09-22-2012, 06:17 PM
Taking steroids doesn't instantly make him from crap to All-Star. I'm sure he would've been more productive than 2010.

Bo Sox Fan
09-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Cincinnati 6 - Dodgers 0

Enough said.

giantspwn
09-22-2012, 08:15 PM
The Dodgers should be stronger in 2013 once they add a couple starters. Though, they still won't be a lock for the division. I'm curious to see how much the ownership plans to spend above the luxury tax which will add 25-30% tax on every FA they pick up after they re-sign Kershaw.

All that being said, the trade with Boston has got to be worst in sports history. Almost 300 million dollars for a bunch of crap not to mention the prospects they threw in. Dodger fans that are expecting Gonzales, Crawford and Beckett to rebound to previous years are delusional. Although, Gonzales may be somewhat productive for a while, it's clearly obvious he's in decline. In two or three years, you can only imagine fans begging ownership to just eat the rest of these guys contracts to bring in someone else.

Rush
09-22-2012, 08:24 PM
How can you say Gonzalez is in a decline after one year not up to his standards? The past three years prior to 2012 his wOBA was, in succession, .402, .378, .406. Those are all better than his career wOBA of .370.

d79cheese
09-22-2012, 08:35 PM
How can you say Gonzalez is in a decline after one year not up to his standards? The past three years prior to 2012 his wOBA was, in succession, .402, .378, .406. Those are all better than his career wOBA of .370.

There are definite signs that he is declining offensively (specifically from a power perspective). Last 4 seasons in terms of:

SLG%: .274, .213, .210, .162
HR/FB%: 22.2, 16.4, 16.4, 9.1

along with a few others that show a steady decline (in particular BB%: 17.5, 13.4, 10.3, 6.1)

His power has definitely taken a step back the last few years, and coming back into the NL West (and Dodger stadium) is not necessarily going to help that. Doesn't mean he won't still be a very good offensive player, but his days of being the big masher in the middle of the lineup is probably coming to an end.

giantspwn
09-22-2012, 08:35 PM

.337 wOBA this year and he's on the wrong side of 30. I believe he'll be better next year just declining from his career average. Of course this is all relative to what he's making. I just wouldn't spend 22 million on a guy with a down year like he's had at his age through 2018.

dodgersuck
09-23-2012, 11:46 AM
Carl Crawford will win the MVP next year, book it :rolleyes:

slapnutz69
09-23-2012, 12:18 PM
who cares?? seriously they're the sh***y Dodgers

MetsFanatic19
09-23-2012, 12:34 PM
I love how when a team goes out and spends money a lot, they automatically become the next hated team in baseball.

DodgerB24
09-23-2012, 02:07 PM
I love how when a team goes out and spends money a lot, they automatically become the next hated team in baseball.

:(

fulltiltdodger
09-23-2012, 02:45 PM

If Don Mattingly wasn't our Manager we should still be in the hunt for the division despite all of our injuries which have primarily been for our pitching not hitting.. Just because Kemp who has been hurt we should have been able to compensate with the Additions of Adrian, Hanley and Victorino along with already having Ethier relatively healthy all year.

I like our chances in 2013 if we fire mattingly..

DLCK
09-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I love the hate. SF enjoy your division title.Good luck in the playoffs.

ciaban
09-23-2012, 03:21 PM
Cincinnati 6 - Dodgers 0

Enough said.
yes that one game yesterday will determine their future going forward for years to come, not the one before which they won, the one they lost, because it's the perfect barometer, are you sure you handle shouldn't be Nostradamus

The Dodgers should be stronger in 2013 once they add a couple starters. Though, they still won't be a lock for the division. I'm curious to see how much the ownership plans to spend above the luxury tax which will add 25-30% tax on every FA they pick up after they re-sign Kershaw.

All that being said, the trade with Boston has got to be worst in sports history. Almost 300 million dollars for a bunch of crap not to mention the prospects they threw in. Dodger fans that are expecting Gonzales, Crawford and Beckett to rebound to previous years are delusional. Although, Gonzales may be somewhat productive for a while, it's clearly obvious he's in decline. In two or three years, you can only imagine fans begging ownership to just eat the rest of these guys contracts to bring in someone else.
i think Gonzales can still be a very productive player, also, beckett has already bounced back, and even if he totally sucks next year, his contract is almost up. Gonzalez doesn't need to crank out 40 home runs to be productive.

CHRISDODGERS
09-23-2012, 04:28 PM
who cares?? seriously they're the sh***y Dodgers

that's what I'm sayin' slapnutz69, you're right

LASportsFan1996
09-23-2012, 10:03 PM

I ****in love it, bring the hate

Guppyfighter
09-24-2012, 01:11 AM
I actually like the Dodgers, I just think their general manager is a ****ing ******.

Jeffy25
09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
I actually like the Dodgers, I just think their general manager is a ****ing ******.

Nor is their manager.

I haven't watched all of the Dodgers games this year, so I can't say specifically. But it seems like every game that I watch, he makes at least one completely bonehead move.

Example, this happened the other day.

First and second, nobody out.

A.J. Ellis at the plate, batting 8th in the lineup (don't even get me started how stupid that is, .366 OBP, and he is still hitting 8th, yet Mark Ellis leads off sometimes?).

The pitcher is up after Ellis.....and Mattingly employs a double-steal.

Okay, so on the chance that they make it, you are likely going to have Ellis IBB'd so the pitcher can hit with the bases loaded.

If they don't make it, you just made the first out at third, and have possibly ruined your inning.

This a no-win scenario. Let Ellis hit

He bunts with position players way too often, he IBB opposing hitters in awful situations.

At least when I am watching that is. Maybe he doesn't do this all the time, and I just keep catching him in bad situations. But he makes some really screwy decisions.

09-25-2012, 03:31 PM
They will be as good as the Red Sox have been the past couple of seasons.

KrunchyGoodness
09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
No

09-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Yes

THINKBLUE15
09-25-2012, 04:36 PM
Thread is hilarious. Stan Kasten has no idea what he's doing apparently.

The team got a facelift well past the midway point of the season, and suffered more injuries than the majority of (I thought I read 2nd most but that might be wrong) other teams. To Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier, Mark Ellis, Chad Billingsley, Ted Lilly, Kenley Jansen, etc. And for extended periods of time.

Their lineup in June had Herrera, Loney, Abreu, Uribe, AJ, Gwynn, Gordon, and Van Slyke in it.

Then they get some guys off the DL, make some big trades, and it doesn't immediately work out.

Everyone is really banking hard on a team of such talented players slugging a collective .300-something for 162 games.

The Dodgers have scored less runs than any team in baseball in September. I mean, they have been remarkably PATHETIC. And yet, they are 3 games back in the win column behind STL? Why is STL gonna be so good and the Dodgers are gonna barely be over .500 next season? The Cards seem to be Wild Card grubbers to me. No matter how potent their lineup is, they don't seem to take the league by storm during the regular season.

People are jumping the gun on this team playing poorly JUST LIKE Dodger fans were jumping the gun on this team being dominant right off the bat. And that's why I stay away from this garbage during both good, and bad times. It feels like the NBA Forum in here. Just a bunch of talking crap from both parties.

Part of me was at least a little happy once the division race was over to see Giant fans react, and a couple pat themselves on the back for their "I'd be surprised if the Dodgers finish 5 games within the division" as if they knew Kemp would be hurt to the point where he can barely swing a bat, and all the bats would unprecedentedly slump collectively.

I said this a while back. I think this division is going to be the Dodgers to lose here in the future. This year was a wash, but they had plenty of chances--just couldn't put it together. The Giants are a good team, built on continuity and some big time performers. They grind it out. Credit to them, and hats off. But I won't pretend they are any sort of dynasty either.

You cannot build a dynasty over night. They were under Mccourt less than a year ago people. They threw together something quickly, and are hoping with a spring training and full season as not just a team, but a revamped FRANCHISE from top to bottom, things will work out. And with the talent they have, I think it will.

They will try to have their cake and eat it too. They can put together a team like this now and start building for the future at the same time.

That's all Kasten talks about is player development. His voice gets real high and his face lights up when talking about youth, player development, international scouting, the draft, etc. It's "Priority one".

Just because the Dodgers couldn't go from a team of zeros to heros, and make it happen in the span of a month...in addition to all of the problems they've had, they are failures? I don't know if 'funny' is the right word, but it's certainly comical to me. Ignorant for sure.

I can't take a month of a transformed team (From the owners to the players) that still isn't playing at 100% health...and make the determination that they are going to be .500 dwellers.

I also think people underestimate Kemp missing around 60 games, and coming off the DL a shell of his former self with nagging injuries ever since. He's hit 7 HR since April. Don't think that hurts the Dodgers?

Too much has gone wrong for this team to make me think it's possible to continue on like this.

I think this is gonna be a very good team next season. That offense is going to work, their bullpen is amazing, and if Bills and Kershaw are healthy next season, they will be a solid SP away from being a real real threat. Their ERA is already, what..2nd or 3rd in the league? Scoring runs has been their problem.

The Dodgers cannot be a dynasty in the matter of months. But they will build towards it in due time. And in the mean time, I think next year is going to be a good year for them.

I give nothing but fair credit to the Giants. Good for them. I think next season is going to be the true test for both teams, as well as the D-Backs. J-Up figures to bounce back, the Dodgers will be healthy and gain come continuity, and the Giants are gonna be right there like they have been the past 3 seasons. It will be 3 good teams battling it out.

The Dodgers and Angels are going to be much better than they were this season. I've read a lot of this stuff and felt obligated to speak in general about the hate this team is getting. It's a long post because it's not worth spending time in here arguing for hours.

raidersrock99
09-25-2012, 05:47 PM
excuses are like *******s everyone has one.

dodgers are in trouble imo they have no character, and they are spending all of that money they had on players on the downside of their careers (minus hanley) not smart baseball moves. Should have saved all of that money for a big trade this summer, instead they overspent and got adrian gonzalez, beckett will be an okay 4th starter and crawford unfortunately is probably done. just my opinion, i think if kemp and kershaw stay helathy the dodgers will always compete though. and i do like what cruz has done fro them this year

UPRock
09-25-2012, 05:57 PM
Yeah because Mattingly is the reason of the Dodgers downfall this season. Because of him Adrian, Kemp, Hanley, Victorino and that good awful rotation are struggling. Please stop it Dodgers fans, your team is not good enough. I hate when people say "If it wasn't for Mattingly we win the division" ***** please.

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Part of me was at least a little happy once the division race was over to see Giant fans react, and a couple pat themselves on the back for their "I'd be surprised if the Dodgers finish 5 games within the division" as if they knew Kemp would be hurt to the point where he can barely swing a bat, and all the bats would unprecedentedly slump collectively.

I didn't need to be a fortune teller and predict Kemp would get hurt. I have half a brain and saw the Giants late August/September schedule and knew they would play extremely well. Don't really care who is in and out of the Dodgers lineup, they couldn't keep up with the Giants finishing 25-9 in the last 36 meaningful games. But keep telling yourself they would be within a game or two if Kemp never ran into the wall in Colorado...

ciaban
09-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Yeah because Mattingly is the reason of the Dodgers downfall this season. Because of him Adrian, Kemp, Hanley, Victorino and that good awful rotation are struggling. Please stop it Dodgers fans, your team is not good enough. I hate when people say "If it wasn't for Mattingly we win the division" ***** please.
good awful rotation is struggling? do you mean God awful? and it's 3rd in the MLB in team era ahead of the giants, not good enough to win this year or ever? because their are a lot of things about this team i do like, it's not perfect but i think they will win more than 85 games next year unlike what jeffy believes

I didn't need to be a fortune teller and predict Kemp would get hurt. I have half a brain and saw the Giants late August/September schedule and knew they would play extremely well. Don't really care who is in and out of the Dodgers lineup, they couldn't keep up with the Giants finishing 25-9 in the last 36 meaningful games. But keep telling yourself they would be within a game or two if Kemp never ran into the wall in Colorado...
really because it was his shoulder not his hamstring which is what he injured earlier this year. But W/e this team had more problems than just him, unlike the giants last year, everyone i talked to kept saying that Posey was the heart and soul of the giants and that's why they finished 5 out of the wild card. But yeah their were way more problems this year than just kemp, though all the time he has missed is pretty seminal in this years woes.

Also, the thing that worries me about the giants Aug/Spet. schedule is i don't think their really geared up for the post season, the line up is hitting pretty well, but who is the best pitcher the giants have faced in a month and a half?
Several pitchers have struggled too, and you haven't really faced any great offensive teams in a while, i think because of the big lead they have been nursing the last 3 weeks they wont be as geared up as the reds, nats, braves or really any wild card team that has been fighting for their lives

ciaban
09-25-2012, 06:51 PM
oh raidersrock99 what does character have to do with anything, their competing for the world series not the Oscar

DodgerB24
09-25-2012, 06:59 PM
that god awful rotation

What?

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 07:07 PM
good awful rotation is struggling? do you mean God awful? and it's 3rd in the MLB in team era ahead of the giants, not good enough to win this year or ever? because their are a lot of things about this team i do like, it's not perfect but i think they will win more than 85 games next year unlike what jeffy believes

really because it was his shoulder not his hamstring which is what he injured earlier this year. But W/e this team had more problems than just him, unlike the giants last year, everyone i talked to kept saying that Posey was the heart and soul of the giants and that's why they finished 5 out of the wild card. But yeah their were way more problems this year than just kemp, though all the time he has missed is pretty seminal in this years woes.

Also, the thing that worries me about the giants Aug/Spet. schedule is i don't think their really geared up for the post season, the line up is hitting pretty well, but who is the best pitcher the giants have faced in a month and a half?
Several pitchers have struggled too, and you haven't really faced any great offensive teams in a while, i think because of the big lead they have been nursing the last 3 weeks they wont be as geared up as the reds, nats, braves or really any wild card team that has been fighting for their lives

2010 is what is going to have them geared up for the postseason. Most teams get into trouble when they coast in September by resting a ton of regulars. Bochy has come out and said they are still playing regulars just about everyday probably up until the last day or two. You will probably see Posey get the day off after a night game, but they are throwing regular guys out there to stay sharp (including pitchers). Something that Davey Johnson and the Nats have come out on record and said they will not be doing. If the Giants stay in the 3rd spot (which it looks like they will), I really like their chances in the 1st round.

ciaban
09-25-2012, 07:13 PM
2010 is what is going to have them geared up for the postseason. Most teams get into trouble when they coast in September by resting a ton of regulars. Bochy has come out and said they are still playing regulars just about everyday probably up until the last day or two. You will probably see Posey get the day off after a night game, but they are throwing regular guys out there to stay sharp (including pitchers). Something that Davey Johnson and the Nats have come out on record and said they will not be doing. If the Giants stay in the 3rd spot (which it looks like they will), I really like their chances in the 1st round.
If they are going to play posey then it better be at first, or bochey will look like an idiot if he gets hurt behind the plate, i don't think we are going to see anyone other than zito plus 2 AAA scrubs in the final series against the dodgers, and i think the giants can succeed in 5 games if Cain can win 2, then they just need 1 win from bumgarner, lincecum and vogelsong, though i guess that's easier said than done. Not talking crap, just saying it is Oct. nothing comes easy.

Edit: to expand on that point, both the Reds and Nats have played some pretty good teams, up to this point, the giants haven't i think they need to stay sharp, and the reds and nats need to rest i think it's different needs for different teams you know what i am saying?

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 07:20 PM
If they are going to play posey then it better be at first, or bochey will look like an idiot if he gets hurt behind the plate, i don't think we are going to see anyone other than zito plus 2 AAA scrubs in the final series against the dodgers, and i think the giants can succeed in 5 games if Cain can win 2, then they just need 1 win from bumgarner, lincecum and vogelsong, though i guess that's easier said than done. Not talking crap, just saying it is Oct. nothing comes easy.

It will not be Zito and AAA scrubs in the last series. I bet it will be Timmy or Bum Monday night (whichever one doesn't pitch in game 2) and then Zito/Vogelsong Tuesday and AAA scrub on Wednesday. You are crazy if you think they NEED Cain to win 2 in order to succeed. Obviously that would DEF. help and more then likely mean we win, but I can honestly see us winning in 4 if we are the 3 seed and open at home vs either the Reds or Nats. I think the Nats might take a game or two to get adjusted to playoff baseball atmosphere, especially playing in SF. Both Gio and Zimmerman have never been in anything close to that. In fact, if I were the Nats I would probably throw someone like Jackson in game 2 (especially if he was already going to be in the playoff rotation). The Reds have been on this stage and probably won't be "shell shocked" right away. As a Giants fan I want to play the Reds from a matchup stand point but the Nats from a situational standpoint (their first time there for most of their players).

ciaban
09-25-2012, 07:43 PM
It will not be Zito and AAA scrubs in the last series. I bet it will be Timmy or Bum Monday night (whichever one doesn't pitch in game 2) and then Zito/Vogelsong Tuesday and AAA scrub on Wednesday. You are crazy if you think they NEED Cain to win 2 in order to succeed. Obviously that would DEF. help and more then likely mean we win, but I can honestly see us winning in 4 if we are the 3 seed and open at home vs either the Reds or Nats. I think the Nats might take a game or two to get adjusted to playoff baseball atmosphere, especially playing in SF. Both Gio and Zimmerman have never been in anything close to that. In fact, if I were the Nats I would probably throw someone like Jackson in game 2 (especially if he was already going to be in the playoff rotation). The Reds have been on this stage and probably won't be "shell shocked" right away. As a Giants fan I want to play the Reds from a matchup stand point but the Nats from a situational standpoint (their first time there for most of their players).
lincecum would be fine in game 1 i guess, i expect bumgarner to pitch game 2 of the playoffs personally, but why waste anyone else in that series, it will be zito game 2 and scrub game 3, also, i don't see panda or posey playing maybe not even angle pagan and pence in that series, i think we will see an OF with Brown, Blanco and Nady, an infield with belt, Suctaro, Crawford, Theriot. with Sanchez or Whiteside catching. i don't think trying to keep the dodgers out of the playoffs is worth risking anything important.

I don't think it's that crazy to say cain needs to get two win, and i don't see the giants beating the Nats or Reds in 4 that would involve Vogelsong winning that game, look at it this way, lincecum has been doing better, but this isn't Timmy from 08, or even last year, he is still having trouble locating pitches, the wheels have been falling off vogelsong since mid may, he put in a good performance his last time out against the pads, but their terrible, hell even bumgarner has gone through a 6 game bad stretch, his last two outings have been good, but they were against the pads and dbacks, i think some of these guys will struggle against good hitting teams like the reds and nats

If your the 3 seed, you wont open at home, only the wild card does, you open in Cincinnati or D.C. which is also why i don't think there will be anyone good in LA, the guys set to start will be preparing in either D.C. or Cincinnati.

I think the reds bull pen is super nasty, and you should fear it, their starters are pretty good too, but if they take a lead into the 6th, i think it will be game over. Also, youth didn't seem to hurt the giants in 2010 so i wont assume that it will hurt the Nats

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 07:52 PM
lincecum would be fine in game 1 i guess, i expect bumgarner to pitch game 2 of the playoffs personally, but why waste anyone else in that series, it will be zito game 2 and scrub game 3, also, i don't see panda or posey playing maybe not even angle pagan and pence in that series, i think we will see an OF with Brown, Blanco and Nady, an infield with belt, Suctaro, Crawford, Theriot. with Sanchez or Whiteside catching. i don't think trying to keep the dodgers out of the playoffs is worth risking anything important.

I don't think it's that crazy to say cain needs to get two win, and i don't see the giants beating the Nats or Reds in 4 that would involve Vogelsong winning that game, look at it this way, lincecum has been doing better, but this isn't Timmy from 08, or even last year, he is still having trouble locating pitches, the wheels have been falling off vogelsong since mid may, he put in a good performance his last time out against the pads, but their terrible, hell even bumgarner has gone through a 6 game bad stretch, his last two outings have been good, but they were against the pads and dbacks, i think some of these guys will struggle against good hitting teams like the reds and nats

If your the 3 seed, you wont open at home, only the wild card does, you open in Cincinnati or D.C. which is also why i don't think there will be anyone good in LA, the guys set start will be preparing in either D.C. or Cincinnati.

I think the reds bull pen is super nasty, and you should fear it, their starters are pretty good too, but if they take a lead into the 6th, i think it will be game over.

I know you aren't use to watching good baseball being a Dodger fan but come on dude... Vogelsong hasn't been good since mid May??? He had 17 straight quality starts all the way up until early/mid August.

I guarentee you srubs will not fill the lineup all 3 games vs the Dodgers (unless minor injuries creep up). Brown won't even get a call up. My guess it will be Bum, Zito, Petit starting in LA with all the regular position players getting 2 starts.

And yes, the 3 seed does open at home this year. They are eliminting all travel days from the LDS from games 4 to 5. So the Giants finish in LA, fly home and workout until Saturday, while either WSH or CIN have to travel cross country to get ready for a ridiculous crowd and Matt Cain in game 1. Timmy will probably go game 2 cuz he has pitched much better in the 2nd half and is pitching better at home. I would like to get Bum a start at home, but would feel comfortable pitching him on the road, especially in Cincy because of the lefties (Votto and Bruce) and he is a GB pitcher. If I were the Reds I would be extremely worried about Votto getting any sort of power back this year and the durability the rest of the season of Chapman.

Mr Costanza
09-25-2012, 07:55 PM
Well they will certainly spend the money. The key will be to spend wisely and I'm not sure they will. I see a few John lackey type deals in their future. Also I think you will see the 4 names John, Clayton, Tommy, and Kershaw all jumbled together in 1 sentence very soon.

Rush
09-25-2012, 08:17 PM

If your the 3 seed, you wont open at home, only the wild card does, you open in Cincinnati or D.C. which is also why i don't think there will be anyone good in LA, the guys set to start will be preparing in either D.C. or Cincinnati.

I think the reds bull pen is super nasty, and you should fear it, their starters are pretty good too, but if they take a lead into the 6th, i think it will be game over. Also, youth didn't seem to hurt the giants in 2010 so i wont assume that it will hurt the Nats

Gary Brown won't starting because he isn't on the roster.

"the wheels have been falling off vogelsong since mid may"? How did you come up with this one? He didn't start to pitch poorly until August 13th.

And the 3 seed does open up at home with the new format. The low seed gets the first two games while the higher seed gets the last three.

raidersrock99
09-25-2012, 08:19 PM
giants at home for first two game is going to be clutch! we can win both and be in the drivers seat.

LASportsFan1996
09-25-2012, 08:20 PM
Well they will certainly spend the money. The key will be to spend wisely and I'm not sure they will. I see a few John lackey type deals in their future. Also I think you will see the 4 names John, Clayton, Tommy, and Kershaw all jumbled together in 1 sentence very soon.

Seems legit, I don't know how people come up with these assumptions

Mr Costanza
09-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Seems legit, I don't know how people come up with these assumptions

Thank you for your confidence. :D

CHRISDODGERS
09-25-2012, 09:14 PM

predicting an injury, you're a nice guy

LASportsFan1996
09-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Thank you for your confidence. :D

Confidence? Their isn't anything to worry about, unless you know something I don't

ciaban
09-25-2012, 10:16 PM
I know you aren't use to watching good baseball being a Dodger fan but come on dude... Vogelsong hasn't been good since mid May??? He had 17 straight quality starts all the way up until early/mid August.

I guarentee you srubs will not fill the lineup all 3 games vs the Dodgers (unless minor injuries creep up). Brown won't even get a call up. My guess it will be Bum, Zito, Petit starting in LA with all the regular position players getting 2 starts.

And yes, the 3 seed does open at home this year. They are eliminting all travel days from the LDS from games 4 to 5. So the Giants finish in LA, fly home and workout until Saturday, while either WSH or CIN have to travel cross country to get ready for a ridiculous crowd and Matt Cain in game 1. Timmy will probably go game 2 cuz he has pitched much better in the 2nd half and is pitching better at home. I would like to get Bum a start at home, but would feel comfortable pitching him on the road, especially in Cincy because of the lefties (Votto and Bruce) and he is a GB pitcher. If I were the Reds I would be extremely worried about Votto getting any sort of power back this year and the durability the rest of the season of Chapman.

because i live in the bay i mostly watch giants games because it's whats on, and I'm sorry for the confusion i meant mid august, that's my bad, correction.

your right about the 3 seed, i thought it was only the wild card that got it, btw i think this format is dumb, you are guaranteeing the worse team more games,

do you know that lincecum will for sure be pitching game 2? or is that just your projection/desire?

and as far as chapmans durability, they can just have him sit the rest of the way until oct. im not that worried about that, and votto doesn't have to crush the ball to be dangerous, if he his .330 with a .450obp he can be just as deadly.

also, assuming you guys do beat whoever, doesn't that guarantee that time will have to pitch on the road the following series?

ciaban
09-25-2012, 10:19 PM

because he will win 288 games? i hope your not suggesting to Ulnar collateral ligament surgery, because the problems he has had recently have been to his hip, Billingsly on the other hand is like 50/50 on that surgery

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 10:24 PM
because i live in the bay i mostly watch giants games because it's whats on, and I'm sorry for the confusion i meant mid august, that's my bad, correction.

your right about the 3 seed, i thought it was only the wild card that got it, btw i think this format is dumb, you are guaranteeing the worse team more games,

do you know that lincecum will for sure be pitching game 2? or is that just your projection/desire?

and as far as chapmans durability, they can just have him sit the rest of the way until oct. im not that worried about that, and votto doesn't have to crush the ball to be dangerous, if he his .330 with a .450obp he can be just as deadly.

also, assuming you guys do beat whoever, doesn't that guarantee that time will have to pitch on the road the following series?

Lincecum going game 2 is what I think it will be, not set in stone. Your game 1 starter is the most important in a 5 game series cuz it's the only one that will go 2 times (thats why it will be Cain).

If Votto is not going to hit for power cuz of the knee injury, I would feel extremely good going into that series. I feel like our pitchers can somewhat neutralize guys around the lineup (their offense has not been nearly as good as it has in years past).

Giants have the best road record in baseball since the ASB, I have zero worries about opening the NLCS on the road, especially when we get the 3 games at home in the middle (much like in 2010 vs the phillies). Having the first two games at home in the first round is more important IMO because teams still have some jitters the first few games (especially one that has not been in the playoffs like Washington). Having your home crowd behind you is big to get through that.

And the format is only in play for this season because they made the postseason schedule (two WC format) after the regular season was made. They will be going back to the 2-2-1 format in 2013.

ciaban
09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
Lincecum going game 2 is what I think it will be, not set in stone. Your game 1 starter is the most important in a 5 game series cuz it's the only one that will go 2 times (thats why it will be Cain).

If Votto is not going to hit for power cuz of the knee injury, I would feel extremely good going into that series. I feel like our pitchers can somewhat neutralize guys around the lineup (their offense has not been nearly as good as it has in years past).

Giants have the best road record in baseball since the ASB, I have zero worries about opening the NLCS on the road, especially when we get the 3 games at home in the middle (much like in 2010 vs the phillies). Having the first two games at home in the first round is more important IMO because teams still have some jitters the first few games (especially one that has not been in the playoffs like Washington). Having your home crowd behind you is big to get through that.

And the format is only in play for this season because they made the postseason schedule (two WC format) after the regular season was made. They will be going back to the 2-2-1 format in 2013.
I think they go with the lefty, but trying to figure out what bochey is going to do is a fools task, mostly because bochey is kind of a fool,

Idk they are really solid from top to bottom, and Latos will pitch well for them. Remember he hates the giants. I bet he is looking forward to this.

No i am talking about timmy opening up on the road, not cain, or bumgarner, but timmy as either game 1 or 2 starter.

d79cheese
09-25-2012, 10:37 PM
I think they go with the lefty, but trying to figure out what bochey is going to do is a fools task, mostly because bochey is kind of a fool,

Idk they are really solid from top to bottom, and Latos will pitch well for them. Remember he hates the giants. I bet he is looking forward to this.

No i am talking about timmy opening up on the road, not cain, or bumgarner, but timmy as either game 1 or 2 starter.

One thing that Bochy does exceptionally well is put the pitchers in the best situations possible. Much like he did in 2010, he is going to get Lincecum as many starts at home in the postseason as possible.

dodgersuck
09-25-2012, 10:44 PM
In the future? The Dodgers are obviously the best team in baseball right now. They have Hanley, Gonzalez, and Victorino, Kennedy, Rivera, that's a mother****ing murderers row of hitters

ciaban
09-25-2012, 10:52 PM
now dodgersuck, i think your a little bit biased in favor of the dodgers, could you try to take your personal feelings out of your opinion

ciaban
09-25-2012, 10:55 PM
One thing that Bochy does exceptionally well is put the pitchers in the best situations possible. Much like he did in 2010, he is going to get Lincecum as many starts at home in the postseason as possible.

lets say that first series goes 4 like you predicted, timmy has to pitch on the road game 2 of the NLCS, and then he wouldn't pitch again until game 6 both on the road, i understand trying to give your pitchers the best possible match ups, but still there is only so much you can micro manage, and not to be despairing on the giants, i understand they have the best road record since the ASB but their competition has something to do with it.

Jeffy25
09-26-2012, 01:50 AM
The Dodgers have scored less runs than any team in baseball in September. I mean, they have been remarkably PATHETIC. And yet, they are 3 games back in the win column behind STL? Why is STL gonna be so good and the Dodgers are gonna barely be over .500 next season? The Cards seem to be Wild Card grubbers to me. No matter how potent their lineup is, they don't seem to take the league by storm during the regular season.

The Cards have won 8 of their last 9 and have scored at least 4 in all 9 games since playing the Dodgers last

9 games ago, the Cardinals were 76-70, the Dodgers were 76-70

9 games later, the Cardinals are 84-71, the Dodgers are 79-75

Cardinals offense is still best in the NL, and their rotation is also very good.

They have a **** bullpen, that has carried a negative WPA all season long. And that is the issue the team has dealt with all season long. And it's been their only issue, but it's also why they have carried a winning percentage far below their pyth record all season long (pyth record is 88-67 as of today, and is the 4th best in baseball, second in the NL to the Nationals).

If the Cardinals had their bullpen of 2010 (wasn't good last year either), they would probably have 90 wins right now.

Cards bullpen is 16-26 with a 1.2 fWAR this season in 450 innings pitched. In other words, awful.

20-26 in one-run games, 26-40 in two-run games or less

So 26-40 in games decided by 2 runs or less, and 58-31 in games decided by 3 runs or more.

The Cardinals are a good team, but a weak bullpen has held their record down all season. They are not Wild Card grubbers.

Best offense in the NL (although the Brewers have caught up basically), and the 5th best fWAR in baseball by their rotation this season (3.51 FIP vs the Dodgers 3.67). Lineup....Cards - .329 wOBA, 107 wRC+ - Dodgers - .297 wOBA, 87 wRC+

I would argue that the Brewers should be better than the Dodgers this year too, they too dealt with a bullpen that consistently cost them games as well. But a good rotation and lineup.

Next season, the entire same Cards team is back basically (no Lance Berkman, but I don't think he even had 100 PA this year) and no more Lohse (but he will be replaced by Shelby Miller) and we have a slew of arms and bats coming from the farm system. We have to re-stock our bullpen, it's been the Achilles heel. But there is no reason the Cards team shouldn't be a 90 win probable team again next year. Hell they can't even find roster space for Oscar Taveras, a current top 20 prospect and Double A MVP of his league (.953 OPS 20 year old CFer). That's usually the sign of a good team.

I'm not saying the Dodgers will be horrible in the future, 85ish wins, but we have to see what they do this off-season first. The Dodgers have some holes, if they fill them nicely, then they obviously could be better than the Cardinals.

SenorGato
09-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Yeah, definitely think the talent level of that team is being underrated. Carl Crawford did not magically forget how to hit, run, and field. He and Kemp can cover alot of the ground Ethier does not in RF. Beckett did not forget how to pitch. Adrian Gonzalez might just be a solidly above average hitter and 1B, but even then he's capable of much more.

If these guys were prospects with the kind of upside these three players are only two years removed from, if that, the Dodgers would be everyone's favorite big market non-spender.

We get it people....you read Moneyball, saw Billy Pitt in the movie, and frequent FanGraphs. Therefore spending money is bad and every longer tenured being paid more than Star Rookie/Pre-arb X is overrated in comparison. LA and Chicago should have been vying to be the West and Central Yankees for a long time now. It was a waste of fn time and talent to sit back and let Kershaw and Kemp carry a bunch of JAGs to the playoffs every year.

metswon69
09-26-2012, 09:37 AM
Yeah, definitely think the talent level of that team is being underrated. Carl Crawford did not magically forget how to hit, run, and field. He and Kemp can cover alot of the ground Ethier does not in RF. Beckett did not forget how to pitch. Adrian Gonzalez might just be a solidly above average hitter and 1B, but even then he's capable of much more.

If these guys were prospects with the kind of upside these three players are only two years removed from, if that, the Dodgers would be everyone's favorite big market non-spender.

We get it people....you read Moneyball, saw Billy Pitt in the movie, and frequent FanGraphs. Therefore spending money is bad and every longer tenured being paid more than Star Rookie/Pre-arb X is overrated in comparison. LA and Chicago should have been vying to be the West and Central Yankees for a long time now. It was a waste of fn time and talent to sit back and let Kershaw and Kemp carry a bunch of JAGs to the playoffs every year.

I wouldn't expect the Dodgers to keep spending like they did over the course of the season. They also have depth issues with positional player prospects in their farm system.

Zach Lee and Chris Reed have really good upside (but their numbers haven't been particularly dominant in AA) but they did deal Eovaldi, Webster, and De La Rosa so their minor league pitching depth definitely took a hit.

Beckett has been pretty good since he came over from the Red Sox but he's not the Josh Beckett of 2007 and as for Crawford he is still a question mark.

He's underperformed since going from the Rays to the Red Sox and i don't necessarily think it's automatic he comes back to being the player he was with the Rays in LA.

Adrian Gonzalez is probably the most solid piece of that deal because we know he can hit in the NL West (in a pitcher's ballpark) even if he hasn't done very well since coming over in the trade.

They certainly have a solid team and the NL West seems to be the most bi-polar division in MLB year to year but they have underachieved since acquiring all these guys and i get the impression they are going to regret bringing in Crawford and Beckett down the line.

Derek Brink
09-30-2012, 09:58 PM
I wouldn't expect the Dodgers to keep spending like they did over the course of the season. They also have depth issues with positional player prospects in their farm system.

Zach Lee and Chris Reed have really good upside (but their numbers haven't been particularly dominant in AA) but they did deal Eovaldi, Webster, and De La Rosa so their minor league pitching depth definitely took a hit.

Beckett has been pretty good since he came over from the Red Sox but he's not the Josh Beckett of 2007 and as for Crawford he is still a question mark.

He's underperformed since going from the Rays to the Red Sox and i don't necessarily think it's automatic he comes back to being the player he was with the Rays in LA.

Adrian Gonzalez is probably the most solid piece of that deal because we know he can hit in the NL West (in a pitcher's ballpark) even if he hasn't done very well since coming over in the trade.

They certainly have a solid team and the NL West seems to be the most bi-polar division in MLB year to year but they have underachieved since acquiring all these guys and i get the impression they are going to regret bringing in Crawford and Beckett down the line.

Beckett has 2 years left on his deal and a 2.93 ERA, 8 k's per 9, basically he looks the pitcher of old.

I think Beckett will do everything he can to pitch well knowing he needs to, to get one more big contract.

I still think the Dodgers should go after one more starting pitcher because they don't know what is going on with Billingsley(he's recovering very well but there still is a slight possibility he needs tommy john).

Either way I think the Dodgers have shown the type of potential they could have next year. Yes they struggled to mesh for a while but so don't many new teams.

I just think it's hilarious to hear people say that they won't be anything more than a 85 win team next year when they will likely finish better than that this year(and will replace Loney with Agon, Uribe with Cruz, Gordon with Ramirez, Rivera with Crawford and likely won't have Jansen, Kemp, and Billingsley hurt for such a long period next year).

Derek Brink
09-30-2012, 10:01 PM
btw Zach Lee last 8 starts of the season after they adjusted his arm slot

1.93 ERA 1.02 WHIP 3.5 k's to bb he was ridiculously good his last 6 or 7 weeks.

They also have Matt Magill at Double A and he led all of Double A in k's and is pretty much major league ready. Add in Puig and Pederson and they have 4 guys very close to the majors who could be impact players.

SenorGato
10-01-2012, 01:14 AM
I like Lee. His numbers have underwhelmed, but prospecting goes beyond numbers more often than most would be willing to admit. Big and athletic, good fastball and various types of fasbtall, good breaking pitching, good changeup, good mechanics, gets grounders...Not much to not like except that he hasn't broken out yet and therefore sucks.

THINKBLUE15
10-01-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm glad there are plenty of other places to talk Dodgers. We can just enjoy our team without having to hear how much we suck, and will indeed suck for the foreseeable future.

Team with a load of injuries and moving parts is gonna win 85 games this year, but a full season and healthy team next year, will still only win 85 games. Got it.

The Dodgers had a lineup of harerra, Uribe, Gwynn, Loney, Gordon, etc. too much has went wrong and changed this season for me to not be optimistic about having a full healthy season next season.

ciaban
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
The offense has seemed to be meshing over the last 10 games or so, plus Kemp has been heating up, obviously Crawford is the wild card in this trade, i like what we have gotten out of beckett so far, he doesn't need to be an ace, just pitch well. Even if all adrian is good for is 25 hr a year plus all the other stuff he does, i am fine with that, maybe he can teach ethier how to hit god damn lefties.

giantspwn
10-01-2012, 06:23 PM
Seems like a lot of blame has been put on injuries. Have the Dodgers really been that injured this year? I can think of much worse teams like the Giants last year or the Mets the year before.

Cap and Harang have filled in nicely if not better for Lily. Kershaw and Billingsley have still thrown around 360 innings combined. Also, the Dodgers somehow had a better W-L record with Kemp out of the lineup through his first injury. Who am I missing?

ciaban
10-01-2012, 06:36 PM
]Seems like a lot of blame has been put on injuries. Have the Dodgers really been that injured this year? [/B]I can think of much worse teams like the Giants last year or the Mets the year before.

Cap and Harang have filled in nicely if not better for Lily. Kershaw and Billingsley have still thrown around 360 innings combined. Also, the Dodgers somehow had a better W-L record with Kemp out of the lineup through his first injury. Who am I missing?

yes when we were 7 games up on you in june we were running out a lineup that featured tony gwynn jr, jaun rivera, james loney and juan uribe all starting. so it was pretty bad.

i think cap and harang's final season total looks like what it was supposed to, it's just they pitched a lot better in the first half and a lot worse in the second half. Billingsly has pitched a lot of innings, but the first half were awful, he was on fire the second half, but then his elbow started to flair up.

The first injury, lasted about 2 months, he came back for like 3 games in the middle, but missed a ton of time, also, for the first month of the injury we were playing the scheduled the giants played in the last month and a half,

Derek Brink
10-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Seems like a lot of blame has been put on injuries. Have the Dodgers really been that injured this year? I can think of much worse teams like the Giants last year or the Mets the year before.

Chad Billingsley there #2 starter has missed about 1/3rd of the season. Kenley Jansen, their closer, missed about a month.

Also they were not better without Kemp the first time. They went 9-5 solid sure but that was worse than they were playing.They were 15-22 when he went out the 2nd time and the 2-3 weeks he played while injured with shoulder problems they were terrible.

Also Ethier went on the DL, Mark Ellis went on the DL for 6 weeks, Dee Gordon missed over 2 months, Lilly missed most of the year and on.

It's not even all about the injuries it's the fact they will likely win 85-87 games this year with 30 games of AGon, terrible play from their left fielders(even an average Crawford is way better), 70 games with Hanley, less than 10 starts from Beckett and on.

If they win 85-87 this year to say no way they win more than 85 next year with full seasons from Hanley, AGon, Kemp(hopefully), Crawford, Beckett, Jansen, Billingsley is silly. Sure they have holes but so does everyone and they are far more balanced than they were earlier this season.