PDA

View Full Version : James Worthy

DJHUFF2000
09-17-2012, 04:19 PM
Prior to the 86'-87 season according to Pat Riley's book "Showtime",Worthy was almost traded to the Mavs for Aguirre their 1st round pick(Roy Tarpley),but the deal fell through,anyone else out there got any info on it?

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I did not know that. Good stuff.

What's interesting is that the Lakers kept Worthy and won b2b titles in 87 and 88, with Worthy being the Finals MVP in 88. So good move by the Lakers.

BUt not trading for Aguirre paved the way for the Pistons to make a move of trading Dantley for Aguirre, and then they went on to win b2b titles in '89 and '90.

Very interesting turn of events for both the Lakers w/ Worthy and Aguirre ultimately ending up in Detroit.

Hellcrooner
09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
I did not know that. Good stuff.

What's interesting is that the Lakers kept Worthy and won b2b titles in 87 and 88, with Worthy being the Finals MVP in 88. So good move by the Lakers.

BUt not trading for Aguirre paved the way for the Pistons to make a move of trading Dantley for Aguirre, and then they went on to win b2b titles in '89 and '90.

Very interesting turn of events for both the Lakers w/ Worthy and Aguirre ultimately ending up in Detroit.

That deal could have won us the 87 and 88 titles anyway ( and maybe 89 too cause worhty was injured).

and we may have picked a different playe than tarpley, ( or maybe in L.a with vets all around he wouldnt have gotten into drugs) and KEEP contending in first 90s.

Worthy has 3 of the most intersting waht ifs for lakers history.

1 The Trade for aguirre.

2 What if we picked DOminique instead of Worhty

3 what if lakers had accepted Hornets 1st rounder ( ended up beign Larry Johnson) for worhty.

DJHUFF2000
09-17-2012, 05:00 PM
That deal could have won us the 87 and 88 titles anyway ( and maybe 89 too cause worhty was injured).

and we may have picked a different playe than tarpley, ( or maybe in L.a with vets all around he wouldnt have gotten into drugs) and KEEP contending in first 90s.

Worthy has 3 of the most intersting waht ifs for lakers history.

1 The Trade for aguirre.

2 What if we picked DOminique instead of Worhty

3 what if lakers had accepted Hornets 1st rounder ( ended up beign Larry Johnson) for worhty.

You are sure right about that,but it's hard to imagine not seeing Worthy on that fast-break throwin' it down!

MTar786
09-17-2012, 05:43 PM
worthy was over rated imo

envymamba24
09-17-2012, 05:59 PM
worthy was over rated imo

are you kidding me? he won the finals mvp in 88 and in 87 led the squad in scoring in the playoffs...

Chronz
09-17-2012, 06:38 PM
I cosign him being overrated. I still think Dominique was a better player

3RDASYSTEM
09-17-2012, 07:08 PM
All i know is if you get drafted by the LAKERS and win just a 'couple' rings your alltime rank will be through the roof by media/fanatics all across the board

from MAGIC to WORTHY to KOBE they are all overrated, MAGIC made nobody better(unless RAMBIS/COOPER made allstar games annually or biannual for entire career),WORTHY had game but then went all legend with 'big FINALS game' JAMES nametag and do i need to say anything about the backup guard turned allstar who was robin for his first 8yrs then super incredible hulk the next 8? ALL 3 drafted by LAKERLAND

but on flipside if you get traded to LAKERland after being so unreal individually dominant with other teams prior like ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ they will say they became alltime legendary after winning titles in LAKERLAND - ALL 3 won titles in LAKERLAND via trade/free agent even tho DIESEL went to FINALS prior and ALCINDOR/WILT won with previous teams also...but only in LAKERLAND did they become alltime great/nba legendary or top 10 alltime status....child please

Funnniest part about it is that ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ were alltime legends from doing what they did in college from banning the dunk to getting quintuple teamed before coming to NBA

im glad those 3 didnt get drafted by LAKERS or it would be even more insane poppycock,but at least those 3 really do have a case because of the unreal individual dominance from day1,preNBA

JesusNYY_Savior
09-17-2012, 07:13 PM
All i know is if you get drafted by the LAKERS and win just a 'couple' rings your alltime rank will be through the roof by media/fanatics all across the board

from MAGIC to WORTHY to KOBE they are all overrated, MAGIC made nobody better(unless RAMBIS/COOPER made allstar games annually or biannual for entire career),WORTHY had game but then went all legend with 'big FINALS game' JAMES nametag and do i need to say anything about the backup guard turned allstar? ALL 3 drafted by LAKERLAND

but on flipside if you get traded to LAKERland after being so unreal individually dominant with other teams prior like ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ they will say they became alltime legendary after winning titles in LAKERLAND - ALL 3 won titles in LAKERLAND via trade/free agent even tho DIESEL went to FINALS prior and ALCINDOR/WILT won with previous teams also...but only in LAKERLAND did they become alltime great/nba legendary or top 10 alltime status....child please

Funnniest part about it is that ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ were alltime legends from doing what they did in college from banning the dunk to getting quintuple teamed

im glad those 3 didnt get drafted by LAKERS or it would be even more poppycock,but at least those 3 really do have a case because of the unreal individual dominance from day1,preNBA
Your such a hater dude it isn't even funny.. You say the same **** in every laker thread and it's getting old

Iggz53
09-17-2012, 07:14 PM
Agree that he's just a little overrated

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-17-2012, 07:18 PM

from MAGIC to WORTHY to KOBE they are all overrated, MAGIC made nobody better(unless RAMBIS/COOPER made allstar games annually or biannual for entire career),WORTHY had game but then went all legend with 'big FINALS game' JAMES nametag and do i need to say anything about the backup guard turned allstar who was robin for his first 8yrs then super incredible hulk the next 8? ALL 3 drafted by LAKERLAND

but on flipside if you get traded to LAKERland after being so unreal individually dominant with other teams prior like ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ they
will say they became alltime legendary after winning titles in LAKERLAND - ALL 3 won titles in LAKERLAND via trade/free agent even tho DIESEL went to FINALS prior and ALCINDOR/WILT won with previous teams also...but only in LAKERLAND did they become alltime great/nba legendary or top 10 alltime status....child please

Funnniest part about it is that ALCINDOR/WILT/SHAQ were alltime legends from doing what they did in college from banning the dunk to getting quintuple teamed before coming to NBA

im glad those 3 didnt get drafted by LAKERS or it would be even more insane poppycock,but at least those 3 really do have a case because of the unreal individual dominance from day1,preNBA

Hahaha what are you 10? :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

JordansBulls
09-17-2012, 07:29 PM

Neither was overrated. You call a guy who put up 36/16/10 in a game 7 of the NBA Finals overrated?

lakers4sho
09-17-2012, 07:31 PM
he was also almost traded for ralph sampson

edit: buss actually dared sterling for a coinflip that could've potentially landed the lakers sampson and the clippers worthy. but sterling didn't do it, so the lakers got james....but clippers didn't get sampson (he stayed in school, not wanting to go to the clippers :laugh2:)

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2012, 07:39 PM

I think Nique was the better player, but Worthy was still a great scorer. Part of me thinks that James looked better than he was because Magic made him better, but part of me thinks that had he not been in a team where he had to share the ball with Magic and Kareem, that he might have been posting 25+ for the bulk of his career. Worthy was no doubt a great player. A trade for Aguirre and Tarpley would have been good for LA (if they could have kept Tarpley off the coke and on the court). But even Aguirre straight up for Worthy would have likely been an upgrade. He was a better shooter than Worthy (though Worthy was a better post player). But there is something to be said about chemistry, and James certainly had that with Magic, and looking back in hindsight, the Lakers won back-to-back titles with Worthy as finals MVP. So the Lakers have reason to be happy that they didn't make that move.

and if thye had made the move for Aguirre and Detroit stayed with Dantley, Detroit still likely would have been good enouhg to win it all. They were, after all, just one game away from the NBA title in 1988 and had Thomas not been injured for the game, the Piston would have easily won it WITH Dantley.

I know in Detroit, a lot of fans felt the Dantley/Aguirre trade was a lateral move and many fans felt bad for Dantley missing out on the ring since he had put in so much work with Detroit.

Still... Worthy was a great player. Was he better than Aguirre? Or Dantley for that matter? I dunno.. Aguirre was a better passer and shooter than Worthy, but Worthy had a size advantage. Dantley was a better rebounder early in his career, and a better passer and had a better FG%, but Worthy, again, had the size advantage.

Funny thing is, LA could have prevented Detroit from getting Dantley in the first place since they had him on their roster and gave him up.

Could you imagine a LA line up with Magic and Dantley in the back court and Worthy, Kareem and AC Green in the front court, and Byron Scott Cooper coming off the bench...

Detroit would have had their hands full... that is for sure.

JordansBulls
09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
I think Nique was the better player, but Worthy was still a great scorer. Part of me thinks that James looked better than he was because Magic made him better, but part of me thinks that had he not been in a team where he had to share the ball with Magic and Kareem, that he might have been posting 25+ for the bulk of his career. Worthy was no doubt a great player. A trade for Aguirre and Tarpley would have been good for LA (if they could have kept Tarpley off the coke and on the court). But even Aguirre straight up for Worthy would have likely been an upgrade. He was a better shooter than Worthy (though Worthy was a better post player). But there is something to be said about chemistry, and James certainly had that with Magic, and looking back in hindsight, the Lakers won back-to-back titles with Worthy as finals MVP. So the Lakers have reason to be happy that they didn't make that move.

and if thye had made the move for Aguirre and Detroit stayed with Dantley, Detroit still likely would have been good enouhg to win it all. They were, after all, just one game away from the NBA title in 1988 and had Thomas not been injured for the game, the Piston would have easily won it WITH Dantley.

I know in Detroit, a lot of fans felt the Dantley/Aguirre trade was a lateral move and many fans felt bad for Dantley missing out on the ring since he had put in so much work with Detroit.

Still... Worthy was a great player. Was he better than Aguirre? Or Dantley for that matter? I dunno.. Aguirre was a better passer and shooter than Worthy, but Worthy had a size advantage. Dantley was a better rebounder early in his career, and a better passer and had a better FG%, but Worthy, again, had the size advantage.

Funny thing is, LA could have prevented Detroit from getting Dantley in the first place since they had him on their roster and gave him up.

Could you imagine a LA line up with Magic and Dantley in the back court and Worthy, Kareem and AC Green in the front court, and Byron Scott Cooper coming off the bench...

Detroit would have had their hands full... that is for sure.

Dantley would not have fitted on the Lakers.

Chronz
09-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Neither was overrated. You call a guy who put up 36/16/10 in a game 7 of the NBA Finals overrated?

Yes, overrated isnt about single game performances. You can be the best in the game and still be overrated depending on what is said about you. Jesus I hate repeating that.

LakersMaster24
09-17-2012, 09:24 PM
I used to think Big Game James was overrated, but then Croonie explained to me how he isn't.

Hellcrooner
09-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Worthy ATE FIRST on North Carolina until he went to nba.

Guess who was on that team.

Overated?....my ***.

Case closed.

Chronz
09-18-2012, 12:31 AM
Worthy ATE FIRST on North Carolina until he went to nba.

Guess who was on that team.

Overated?....my ***.

Case closed.

College? Where the children play? Pass on that meaning anything

LakersMaster24
09-18-2012, 12:36 AM
Chronz, you should be the last person calling players overrated. The fact that you think Tracy McGrady deserves to be called a Top 50 player of all time takes away all your credibility in this topic.

Chronz
09-18-2012, 12:38 AM
Chronz, you should be the last person calling players overrated. The fact that you think Tracy McGrady deserves to be called a Top 50 player of all time takes away all your credibility in this topic.

Well of course you feel that way, Tmac is incredibly underrated.

LakersMaster24
09-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Well of course you feel that way, Tmac is incredibly underrated.

Sure he had some nice seasons, but that doesn't put you in the top 50 when you were done by the age of 28.

Chronz
09-18-2012, 03:27 AM
Sure he had some nice seasons, but that doesn't put you in the top 50 when you were done by the age of 28.

Why not? There are alot less players than that, that never made as many All-NBA Teams as him. Even if you disagree that hes Top 50, his resume at least makes it a conversation. So your complaints about my credibility only hurt yours.