PDA

View Full Version : Which elder will have the biggest impact next year?

JNoel
09-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Shaquille O'neal-40 years old
Jason Kidd-39 years old
Grant Hill-39 years old
Steve Nash-38 years old
Marcus Camby-38 years old
Derek Fisher-38 years old
Jerry Stackhouse-37 years old
Ray Allen-37 years old
Tim Duncan-36 years old
Kevin Garnett-36 years old

jericho
09-16-2012, 09:24 PM
didnt shaq retire and hey i like this thread compared to the westbroke 1 :)

JNoel
09-16-2012, 09:28 PM
didnt shaq retire and hey i like this thread compared to the westbroke 1 :)

Shaq is playing 2 games in Mexico ;)

You never know with my threads, they can be really good or really good :cool:

blastmasta26
09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
Nash.

Dade County
09-16-2012, 09:38 PM
It has to be out of Nash, Timmy, or Ray.

I don't see Garnett playing like he did in the playoffs ( he will show is age this year and fall off... I think ).

It has to be Nash, he will have the ball in his hand more then any of the rest on the list.. But Ray is going to be wide open for the 3 all day.

douglas
09-16-2012, 09:46 PM
I think Steve Nash will have the biggest impact because although he is old, he still plays basketball well. When Steve Nash shoots a free throw he makes the free throw most of time. When Steve Nash misses the free throw, he doesn't make it. But usually he makes it.

PacersForLife
09-16-2012, 09:48 PM
I think Steve Nash will have the biggest impact because although he is old, he still plays basketball well. When Steve Nash shoots a free throw he makes the free throw most of time. When Steve Nash misses the free throw, he doesn't make it. But usually he makes it.

Always on point...

naps
09-16-2012, 09:51 PM
One of Kevin Garnett or Ray Allen or Steve Nash (depending how much he gets to run the offense).

Mave1002
09-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Los Angeles Lakers #10

Dade County
09-16-2012, 10:20 PM

Never stop, no matter how old it gets never stop!

Bos_Sports4Life
09-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Nash/KG/Duncan

Bruno
09-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Nash or KG.

beasted86
09-16-2012, 10:48 PM
KG is by far the best player on this list, and it isn't really close.

Longhornfan1234
09-16-2012, 10:52 PM
Dwyane Wade. I hope most of his impact comes off the bench.

Gram
09-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Nash.

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-16-2012, 11:20 PM
Holy **** I didn't even see nash on the list so please mods can u change my vote from Duncan to Nash!

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-16-2012, 11:20 PM
KG is by far the best player on this list, and it isn't really close.

Steve Nash and Duncan say hi

beasted86
09-16-2012, 11:29 PM
Steve Nash and Duncan say hi

They say hi from way behind KG on this list.

He's a better all around player than both of those guys right now... though I should probably revise my initial "by far". Duncan is pretty close.

But when you look at how KG finished the season once they moved him to Center, and what he did in the playoffs, he's the clear best player.

--23--
09-16-2012, 11:33 PM
KG & Nash

I'm always looking forward to see your posts :laugh2:

ManningToTyree
09-16-2012, 11:37 PM
Nash

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-16-2012, 11:44 PM
KG because he arguably had the best season out of all of those guys last year:shrug:

Chucky Woods
09-16-2012, 11:49 PM
Never stop, no matter how old it gets never stop!It will never get old. I was in class and I busted out laughing reading his Brockman post, My professor didn't care too much for that.lol

LoveMeOrHateMe
09-17-2012, 01:07 AM

He's a better all around player than both of those guys right now... though I should probably revise my initial "by far". Duncan is pretty close.

But when you look at how KG finished the season once they moved him to Center, and what he did in the playoffs, he's the clear best player.

Leave it to a heat fan to say Nash isn't even close hahaha funny dude Nash almost carried the sorry suns to the playoffs he's always been the leader of that team and has been more valuable then kg for quite some time now

Mr_Jones
09-17-2012, 02:00 AM

Honestly, I don't think that you've really said anything that was incorrect..

Jesse2272
09-17-2012, 07:39 AM
I voted Nash

Camby will have nothing but a positive influence on my bockers and should be in the argument as well

kdspurman
09-17-2012, 10:50 AM

Tim Duncan and KG had oddly close numbers in the post season...

KG averaged 19.2 pts *10.3 reb * 1.5 ast * 1.5 blks in 37 MPG
TD averaged 17.4 pts * 9.4 reb * 2.8 ast * 2.1 blks in 33 MPG

To say KG is the clear cut best player is pretty debatable and incorrect as both had equally large roles in their respective teams runs to the conference finals.

stawka
09-17-2012, 10:57 AM

This mother****er is slowly becoming my favorite poster on PSD. He needs to be a mod.. ASAP!

todu82
09-17-2012, 11:56 AM
Going with Steve Nash. I think signing with the Lakers will prove beneficial for him.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-17-2012, 12:02 PM
in reality it should be between 5 of the choices..

Ray Allen
Nash
KG
Camby
Duncan

SteBO
09-17-2012, 12:03 PM
Steve Nash.

kdspurman
09-17-2012, 12:21 PM
A lot of folks are saying Nash understandably. But if I'm thinking biggest impact, what happens if mid-way thru the season one of these guys gets injured.

How will their injury impact the team? I think KG/Timmy's impact on their respective teams will be far larger than Nash's. They are still anchoring their teams defensive and can command double teams even at their age.

Minus Nash, Lakers are still going to be very formidable. Minus KG/TD and you will see BOS/SA struggling a great deal.

SirSkyHook
09-17-2012, 12:32 PM
For me its between Nash and JKidd. They both have new tooys. I went with nash because his toys are better. I see their career being extended by their recent moves.

SirSkyHook
09-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I totally misread the Op's question, my bad. The biggest impact will be JKidd. The Knicks desperatly needed leaddership, and they got that in Kidd. I think he if healthy makes them contenders. He will be so big for them, and if he gets hurt they may be one and done again.

SirSkyHook
09-17-2012, 12:40 PM
A lot of folks are saying Nash understandably. But if I'm thinking biggest impact, what happens if mid-way thru the season one of these guys gets injured.

How will their injury impact the team? I think KG/Timmy's impact on their respective teams will be far larger than Nash's. They are still anchoring their teams defensive and can command double teams even at their age.

Minus Nash, Lakers are still going to be very formidable. Minus KG/TD and you will see BOS/SA struggling a great deal.

I dont see their impact changing from what it has been the last two years. Their both now the second or third best players on their respected teams.

Corey
09-17-2012, 12:45 PM
KG's play at center after the switch can't be overstated. The man was a beast when he moved to the 5 fulltime.

Stinkyoutsider
09-17-2012, 12:54 PM
KG. Besides numbers, he's the anchor of the defense and is one of the best leaders and motivators on the floor. Rondo may be the leader on the offensive side of the ball but Kevin is the guy on the other side of the floor.

I think if KG wasn't nearing the end of his career and was younger, it would be his team instead of Rondo...

kdspurman
09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I dont see their impact changing from what it has been the last two years. Their both now the second or third best players on their respected teams.

2nd or 3rd best does not take away from the role they have to play on both ends of the court.

Take them out and their teams will go down. It's that simple. The impact, leadership, and defensive presence they have cannot be overlooked regardless if other guys are scoring more than they are.

dc5jdm
09-17-2012, 01:05 PM

Douglas your the man from Dos XX the most interesting man in the world.

SirSkyHook
09-17-2012, 01:10 PM
2nd or 3rd best does not take away from the role they have to play on both ends of the court.

Take them out and their teams will go down. It's that simple. The impact, leadership, and defensive presence they have cannot be overlooked regardless if other guys are scoring more than they are.

I see what your saying nd i wasnt disrespecting their game. What Im saying is if you take parker off the Spurs their missing more. Parker is not only their scorer, he also is their playmaker, and floor general. He has a bigger impact to me than Duncan who is only their anchor on d.

i would also argue that Rondo is the most important Celtic on his team. Without him they dont score, and without his defence garnett fouls out of more games.

kdspurman
09-17-2012, 01:12 PM
I see what your saying nd i wasnt disrespecting their game. What Im saying is if you take parker off the Spurs their missing more. Parker is not only their scorer, he also is their playmaker, and floor general. He has a bigger impact to me than Duncan who is only their anchor on d.

i would also argue that Rondo is the most important Celtic on his team. Without him they dont score, and without his defence garnett fouls out of more games.

While I agree with that (to a certain extent), this particular question is strictly for the old timers, and their significance. I was putting that in terms of a lot of people putting someone like Nash vs guys like TD/KG and why I thought they had a bigger impact on their team than Nash would.

Giraffes Rule
09-17-2012, 01:27 PM

I can't speak to KG's impact, but did you see the Spurs' defensive stats when Duncan wasn't on the floor last season? They were bad without him.

C_Mund
09-17-2012, 01:28 PM
This mother****er is slowly becoming my favorite poster on PSD. He needs to be a mod.. ASAP!

hahaha..... that would be awesome. "If he's a mother****er than he probably has had sex with somebody's mother."

theheatles
09-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Ray Allen, he's still the best shooter in the NBA and he'll get more wide open looks than he has ever seen in his life

Kashmir13579
09-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Always on point...

lol 4 sure

JasonJohnHorn
09-17-2012, 08:08 PM
Man... no respect for Duncan here.

kdspurman
09-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Man... no respect for Duncan here.

LA fans showing their numbers... Like I been saying, TD/KG IMO will impact their teams more than people realize. If they go down, their teams are in trouble, while I don't necessarily think the same for Nash...

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-18-2012, 02:30 PM
LA fans showing their numbers... Like I been saying, TD/KG IMO will impact their teams more than people realize. If they go down, their teams are in trouble, while I don't necessarily think the same for Nash...

If Nash goes down, the next best thing to take his spot is Sexy Steve Blake.

....anything else?

kdspurman
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM
If Nash goes down, the next best thing to take his spot is Sexy Steve Blake.

....anything else?

Yea, and he like Duhon are fully capable of bringing the ball upcourt and then passing to Kobe or Pau or Dwight... They can't facilitate like Nash, but they're not losing anything defensively, and they have plenty of guys who can score in his absence....

Tell me how SA or BOS team defense and interior defense would be impacted if TD/KG go down...

Which do you think has a bigger impact?

SINCESTARBURY25
09-18-2012, 05:38 PM
Jason Kidd because hes on the knicks and we will win the chip

JasonJohnHorn
09-18-2012, 08:16 PM
I am Canadian. I love Steve Nash. I want him to come away with a championship more than anybody this season, even if it means Kobe getting another ring and Dwight actualyl getting rewarded for all the drama he caused in Orlando. But that said, as a fan, trying to be objective, there is no way Steve Nash should be running away with this poll.

In my mind, the two guys who mean more to their teams on this list than anybody, is Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. I voted for Duncan, but I take no issue with anybody who votes for Garnett.

I can even understand SOME people voting for Nash. But seriously... if Nash doesn't even play a game this season the Lakers are STILL contenders. You take Duncan or Garnett off their respective rosters and those teams don't even make the playoffs!

And Ray Allen? 9 votes? for real? How much better can Miami do this season than they did last season? they already proved they were a championship team? Allen doesn't make or break this team. He's just another shooter to have coming off the bench and hanging around in the corner.

And WTF voted for Kidd and Camby? These guys won't even be STARTING!!!! I agree, they are great additions for the Knicks and make them a better playoff team, but seriously? How can anybody who actually watched a game last year think that Kidd or Camby will have more of an impact than Duncan or Garnett?

SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Are we discussing who is the most impactful on the team or who is more important to their team. Because I think people are talking about 2 different things.

The system offensively and defensively will be the same for both SAS and BOS. Nothing is going to change.

Nash on the other hand is help running a entire new Lakers offense after so many yr of the triangle and last yr's failure of implementing a new offense with a new coach in Mike Brown (who's not known for his offensive capabilities as a coach) in a condensed shortened lockout season with no training camp.

If you want to say "most important', then yes, you can go either with KG or TD.

But when we're saying most "impactful" as the guy who will help implement and run Assistant coach Eddie Jordan's Princeton Offense and the guy who will dictate and basically form that NEW IDENTITY of this revamped Laker squad, that's Steve Nash!

kdspurman
09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
I think impactful and importance are pretty close.

If you take away a guy, then they're impact is no longer being felt for the team.

The impact TD & KG have on their teams are basically being on their last legs, yet still being the only capable/consistent post presence on their teams and still anchoring their interior and p&r defense.

The impact Nash will have is, yes he will be learning a new system and running a new style offense he's not used to, but if he goes out, the impact the Lakers sustain will not be as severe as the Spurs or Celtics would be. He's not the focal point of anything on the team so to speak, and while he is a very valuable player, if he sits out a ton of games, there's a high likelihood the Lakers can still win a ton of those games. Not because his impact isn't important, but simply because the Lakers have enough talent to over come or cushion the impact of his loss.

The same can't be said for TD/KG. You're looking at guys like Blair, Diaw, Bonner, Bass, Wilcox, Collins to try and emulate what they do.

Meanwhile LA has 2 capable PG's who can at least run the offense to a degree and get the big name guys the ball. Defensively, there is little to no difference, maybe even an improvement from Duhon/Blake.

This seems like a debate that can go on for days :)

kdspurman
09-18-2012, 09:10 PM
I am Canadian. I love Steve Nash. I want him to come away with a championship more than anybody this season, even if it means Kobe getting another ring and Dwight actualyl getting rewarded for all the drama he caused in Orlando. But that said, as a fan, trying to be objective, there is no way Steve Nash should be running away with this poll.

In my mind, the two guys who mean more to their teams on this list than anybody, is Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett. I voted for Duncan, but I take no issue with anybody who votes for Garnett.

I can even understand SOME people voting for Nash. But seriously... if Nash doesn't even play a game this season the Lakers are STILL contenders. You take Duncan or Garnett off their respective rosters and those teams don't even make the playoffs!

And Ray Allen? 9 votes? for real? How much better can Miami do this season than they did last season? they already proved they were a championship team? Allen doesn't make or break this team. He's just another shooter to have coming off the bench and hanging around in the corner.

And WTF voted for Kidd and Camby? These guys won't even be STARTING!!!! I agree, they are great additions for the Knicks and make them a better playoff team, but seriously? How can anybody who actually watched a game last year think that Kidd or Camby will have more of an impact than Duncan or Garnett?

SMH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha... I agree completely. I said before I can understand the Nash votes, but don't think it's really comparable to TD/KG.

Ray, Kidd, Camby are just the Knicks/Heat fans. I don't take much into the polls for that reason, the larger fan bases on these boards will always have more impact on these polls. Doesn't usually tell the whole story

RaiderLakersA's
09-18-2012, 10:08 PM
Shaquille O'neal-40 years old
Jason Kidd-39 years old
Grant Hill-39 years old
Steve Nash-38 years old
Marcus Camby-38 years old
Derek Fisher-38 years old
Jerry Stackhouse-37 years old
Ray Allen-37 years old
Tim Duncan-36 years old
Kevin Garnett-36 years old

I don't know who will have the bigger impact next season, but I do know that is a lot of championship bling between just a handful of players...and some of these guys are legitimately in a position to add more. Respect.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

kdspurman
09-19-2012, 11:37 AM
Per a Hollinger analysis, here's a little more on the impact TD has on his team:

Analysis

A lighter, fresher Duncan put up the same offensive numbers, but he was able to move better defensively and showed considerably more impact at that end. Every metric indicates that Duncan was a huge factor, with Synergy stats grading Duncan well above the mean for centers. The Spurs gave up 6.2 points per 100 possessions less with him on the court, and regularized adjusted plus-minus shows him to be the league's single most impactful defensive player last season.
Offensively, Duncan moved out of the low post and into the elbow, and found it agreed with him. Not known as a shooter, he made a stellar 47.1 percent of his shots from 10-23 feet; in fact it was the post-ups that gave him more trouble, as he hit only 35.3 percent from 3-to-9 feet. Duncan somehow drew more fouls anyway, and provided the usual ancillary benefits we've come to expect: fourth in defensive rebound rate among centers, 10th in pure point rating, and sporting the third-lowest foul rate.

Duncan signed a three-year deal in the offseason and appears to be in good shape physically. On the flip side, he's 36 and his long-range shooting marks from last season seem like strong candidates to regress to their historic mean. His PER may slip a couple points as a result, but if he can provide similar impact at the defensive end, the Spurs will stay in the hunt.