PDA

View Full Version : Best Runner-Up in NBA History

Rylz
09-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I'm curious as to what people think were the best teams that lost in the NBA Finals were. As a Jazz fan, I immediately think of the 1998 team that lost to Jordan and the Bulls, but that's admittedly a homer pick.

So, which team was the best runner up in history? Why?

How do you think they would stack up in today's NBA climate?

Discuss.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-16-2012, 02:47 PM
89 Lakers. If Magic didn't have a broken leg, they would have 3-peated.

They swept the first 3 rounds only to be swept in the finals without Magic.

Chronz
09-16-2012, 03:02 PM
88 Pistons. If the Lakers wouldnt have gotten away with a travel and gotten a soft call (in the same play) the Pistons would have 3-peated. Hell maybe if Zeke doesnt get injured they may win regardless.

JK

I like the Celtics that lost despite going up 3-1, I forget which series that was. This list is alot more interesting if you focus on cores that never won. Like the Pippen led Blazers

Hellcrooner
09-16-2012, 04:42 PM
Second half of the 60s Lakers.
Choose whenever year.

Close thread.

Bruno
09-16-2012, 04:46 PM
'69 Lakers. West, Wilt, Baylor. Lost in game seven against Boston by two points.

JordansBulls
09-16-2012, 04:49 PM
1997 Jazz were better than the 1998 Jazz as were the 1997 Bulls better than the 1998 Bulls.

Bruno
09-16-2012, 04:49 PM
'69 Lakers. West, Wilt, Baylor. Lost in game seven against Boston by two points.

LAL would have pulled it out if Wilt didn't go 4/13 from the line AT home.

Chronz
09-16-2012, 05:11 PM

Against one of the weakest Boston teams of the 60's, those Lakers were great and had alot of name value, but so much so that people overrate its talent base. I don't have to tell you about this team, Im sure you know plenty about them. Like the fact that it was a unit was coached by Butch, I cant get around that here. So long as hes the coach, they will underachieve. For the simple reason that he didn't know how to play/coach Wilt.

On the surface it seems hard to blame the coach that pushes a superior Boston team to 7, but I maintain it was a level of success achieved in spite of him, how he ended the season, with everyone questioning why he didnt let his star back in says everything you need to know about the man. I cant help but laugh when people criticize Wilt for his relationship with Butch. Wilt was brought in to be the difference maker, the only one of the group who KNEW HOW to beat the Celtics on route to a title and what would later be known as the greatest team of all time, simply because it had Wilt playing All-Around basketball on both ends. Its no mystery why the first change upon Butch getting replaced, was that the team feature Wilt before Elgin. Elgin had declined to the point where prioritizing his game at the expense of Wilt's all-around playmaking excellence was ridiculous. But siding with the incumbent over the more talented player was Butch's style. One he was willing to risk everything proving in the closing seconds of the biggest game in the Lakers history to that point. Quite possibly one of the few coaches who did the most harm to his championship caliber squad.

Lake_Show2416
09-16-2012, 05:38 PM
any year in the 80's where Lakers or Celtics lost in the finals

Il Mago50
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
The Kobe-Shaq-Malone-Payton Lakers that lost to the Pistons

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-16-2012, 06:05 PM
The Kobe-Shaq-Malone-Payton Lakers that lost to the Pistons

Nah, that bench was poop and devean george finishing the season as our starting small forward was more like diarrhea.

Bruno
09-16-2012, 06:08 PM
Against one of the weakest Boston teams of the 60's, those Lakers were great and had alot of name value, but so much so that people overrate its talent base. I don't have to tell you about this team, Im sure you know plenty about them. Like the fact that it was a unit was coached by Butch, I cant get around that here. So long as hes the coach, they will underachieve. For the simple reason that he didn't know how to play/coach Wilt.

On the surface it seems hard to blame the coach that pushes a superior Boston team to 7, but I maintain it was a level of success achieved in spite of him, how he ended the season, with everyone questioning why he didnt let his star back in says everything you need to know about the man. I cant help but laugh when people criticize Wilt for his relationship with Butch. Wilt was brought in to be the difference maker, the only one of the group who KNEW HOW to beat the Celtics on route to a title and what would later be known as the greatest team of all time, simply because it had Wilt playing All-Around basketball on both ends. Its no mystery why the first change upon Butch getting replaced, was that the team feature Wilt before Elgin. Elgin had declined to the point where prioritizing his game at the expense of Wilt's all-around playmaking excellence was ridiculous. But siding with the incumbent over the more talented player was Butch's style. One he was willing to risk everything proving in the closing seconds of the biggest game in the Lakers history to that point. Quite possibly one of the few coaches who did the most harm to his championship caliber squad.

I'm in the middle of the Jerry West biography by Ronald Lazenby. I'm really hoping that he dives deep into some of the things you refer to here; I'm at the end of his college career- about 1959. I didn't mean to put all the blame on Wilts FT shooting, i know a lot of other factors played into the final outcome.

Showtime Steve
09-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Honorable mention: sacramento kings. Robert horry misses the assist from divac lol.

JasonJohnHorn
09-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Well... those Lakers squads from the 60's and early 70's were amazing teams with West, Chamberlain Baylor and Goodrich...though I never got to see them play.

The 88 Pistons lost in a close game seven and Thomas was injured... had that not happened I think the Pistons would have won that series. Magic even admitted he didn't know how they beat that team.

the Trailblazers that lost to the Pistons and Bulss were a great team as well. As were the Suns that lost to the Bulls. Obviously the Jazz teams that lost back-to-back finals appreances to the Bulls were amazing teams (even if they had a gaping hole at center).

But the finals match-ups since Jordan retired haven't generally speaking been as competetive (except the Boston/LA match-ups which were great and and this season's OKC/MIA match up).

For me, there are a number of teams that were runner-ups in teh conference finals that were even better than than the losing team in the finals. The Suns come to mind with Nash, Amare, Marion and Joe Johnson (and even Quinten Richardson looked like an all-star that season). Then of course there is the Pacers team the pushed the Bulls to seven games in 98. That was an amazing team. I would have loved to see them and the Jazz meet up in the finals. And of course there are the Kings and Spurs teams that were losing to the Lakers between 2000-2002.

LAKERMANIA
09-16-2012, 06:50 PM
69 Lakers
89 Lakers
87 Celtics
98 Jazz
04 Lakers

MTar786
09-16-2012, 07:10 PM
00 blazers
02 kings