PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think is a better trainer?

charlies_angels
09-14-2012, 12:02 AM
Hakeem Olajuwan? or Patrick Ewing?

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-14-2012, 02:15 AM
Olajuwon. Players fly all the way to Houston just so he could teach them. Kobe did it. Then LBJ did it. Then Dwight and JaVale Mcgee and Amare did it. And now, the Knicks I guess have personally invited the Dream to NY to help their players, if I'm not mistaken?

While Ewing has just worked with Dwight, but I'm not really sure how much Dwight really learned from Patrick all those yrs in Orlando.

Evolution23
09-14-2012, 02:37 AM
Olajuwon. Players fly all the way to Houston just so he could teach them. Kobe did it. Then LBJ did it. Then Dwight and JaVale Mcgee and Amare did it. And now, the Knicks I guess have personally invited the Dream to NY to help their players, if I'm not mistaken?

While Ewing has just worked with Dwight, but I'm not really sure how much Dwight really learned from Patrick all those yrs in Orlando.

To be fair, Dwight didn't learn much from Hakeem either. He's still considered offensively challenged, compared to Bynum. Can't blame Patrick for that, Dwight is just not as talented of an offensive player.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-14-2012, 02:41 AM
To be fair, Dwight didn't learn much from Hakeem either. He's still considered offensively challenged, compared to Bynum. Can't blame Patrick for that, Dwight is just not as talented of an offensive player.

Dwight learned from Hakeem in the summer of 2011 while the lockout was still going on I believe.

Dwight showed a lot of improvement this past yr, but with the back injury and the whole saga of him wanting to leave, I think us fans in general really overlooked what he did on the court offensively and defensively. His injury, the whole wanting to fire SVG and SVG coming out publicly with it, and the whole BKN-LAL commotion and the opting in at the deadline all overshadowed anything that Dwight did on the basketball court in 2011-2012.

2012-2013, a fresh new beginning, rehabbing and coming close to 100% from that back surgery (slowly but surely), and no more coaching problems (hopefully no new ones with Mike Brown) and no more outside distractions and where he's going next yr of whatever will all come into play in Dwight focusing on what Hakeem taught him last summer and what Kareem will help him with as this season progresses.

asandhu23
09-14-2012, 04:16 AM
how will we know? we don't work out with them.

Chronz
09-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Who knows if it even helps their game. Did Emeka get much better? I like to think he did but I dont really know if its cuz of Dream.

Ewing has trained Yao and Yao got alot better but he credits JVG and Ewing for drilling the scoring instinct into him.

It definitely depends on the athlete tho, I dont think Hakeem could help out Bynum/Yao types, guys who are big 7 footers with less grace than your typical athlete, Yao cant work on quick hitting counters. Ewing can and did help him set up their jumper/hook. Which was perfect for Yao.

Still if NY wanted Ewing to teach their players I think they could have. They didnt

KnickaBocka.44
09-14-2012, 03:09 PM
Dwight's lack of touch could be the reason.