PDA

View Full Version : Do the Clippers Have the Deepest Team & Best Bench in the NBA?

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 02:53 PM
Starting 5: CP3, Blake, DeAndre, Chauncey, Butler

Bench: Odom, Crawford, Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, Willie Green, Eric Bledsoe, Ronny Turiaf, Ryan Hollins, Travis Leslie, Trey Thompkins

I'm going to out on a limb and say that the Clippers will be one of the teams you'll see in this yr's WCF.

Hawkeye15
09-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Give me Denver's.

nickdymez
09-13-2012, 02:57 PM
Man the clippers look real tough. A lot of winners on that team, guys thats been there before and played deep into the playoffs. They are going to be tough. Id rather play OKC than the clippers right now

dhopisthename
09-13-2012, 03:04 PM
well it really depends on a few things. Like will odom return to his laker form. how will grant hill look coming off of his knee injury. Because after those two its really not that impressive outside of crawford and bledsoe

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Thunder - James Harden, Nick Collision, Perry Jones III, Eric Maynor, Dequan Cook, Cole Aldrich, Reggie Jackson, Hasheem Thabeet, Lazar Haywood, Hollis Thompson

I'd say the Thunder have a deeper, more talented bench. Not to mention that they have the second-best starting five in the league.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Thunder - James Harden, Nick Collision, Perry Jones III, Eric Maynor, Dequan Cook, Cole Aldrich, Reggie Jackson, Hasheem Thabeet, Lazar Haywood, Hollis Thompson

I'd say the Thunder have a deeper, more talented bench. Not to mention that they have the second-best starting five in the league.

To be fair, the only Thunder bench players that got significant playing time and responsibility last yr were Fisher, Collison, Harden and to a certain extent Cook.

Everyone else "sounds" nice, but they don't have the proven big names that the Clippers do.

Chronz
09-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Depends entirely on Odom and Bledsoe, the rest are question marks as well but nowhere near as significant

IndyHeatjman
09-13-2012, 03:19 PM
Hill,Odom,Billups...were all good in their primes. But now, i have my doubts whether or not they can deliver at their ages. If they were playing at a high level still, then the Clips do have the deepest bench. But as is, with a lot of ?, I can't give them credit until i see them in the season.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2012, 03:21 PM
To be fair, the only Thunder bench players that got significant playing time and responsibility last yr were Fisher, Collison, Harden and to a certain extent Cook.

Everyone else "sounds" nice, but they don't have the proven big names that the Clippers do.

They also won't be nearly as old as the Clippers' bench. And just because they might not get the time doesn't mean they're not more talented.

Jarvo
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
Denver

RealLiveBear
09-13-2012, 03:41 PM
Denver, OKC, Clippers

Yes clippers bench may be more proven but also older OKC's bench can run a team out of the building if Cook is hitting shots Harden getting to the line and now having Maynor back over fisher controlling the tempo the bench is nasty. Also PJ3 is gonna be a beast of a rookie in the minutes he gets. Expect him to be a key bench player come playoff time.

RealLiveBear
09-13-2012, 03:42 PM
And thats without mentioning OKC's bigs Collison is always a productive player if haseem can show even a bit of productivity great and Cole is dependable at best.

Mayweather&NYK
09-13-2012, 03:51 PM
ummmm.... Ny

Felton, Brewer, Melo, Amare, Tyson.... Starters

Jr. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Pablo Prigioni....Bench

Most definitely deserve to be in the discussion...

knicks=love
09-13-2012, 05:09 PM
ummmm.... Ny

Jr. Smith, Iman Shumpert, Jason Kidd, Marcus Camby, Steve Novak, Pablo Prigioni....Bench

homer alert!

Cracka2HI!
09-13-2012, 07:04 PM
I'll take Denver's but they don't have a CP3...or Griffin, so the Clippers starting 5 actually gives them more depth overall IMO. No one is mentioning Bledsoe. If he is even the same player we had in the playoffs you can consider him atleast as good as Crawford, Odom, Hill or anyone else on the Clipps bench. He should actually improve by leaps and bounds in his 3rd year with a healthy offseason!! He's a real sleeper to be one of the break out players of the year this year. I think you will see him finish a lot of games with CP3 in the backcourt. That's how good he was in the playoffs for those who don't remember.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-13-2012, 07:09 PM
last year they were pretty deep as well.. they had a buncha randoms..

time will tell..

interesting to see how they will mesh though with a proper offseason

StarvingKnick22
09-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Oklahoma and Denver have two interesting benches...

Captain Moroni
09-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Miami, NY, Denver, Boston, OKC all have very good benches.

Hawkeye15
09-13-2012, 07:55 PM
ummmm.... Ny

Then so do Ridnour, Barea, Shved, Williams, Budinger, Stiemsma, and Cunningham.....

Get where I am going? May be a better than average bench, but not the best by any means, both the Knicks and the Wolves benches.

MetroMan
09-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Paul
Crawford
Butler
Griffin
Jordon

Hill
Billups
Odom
Bledsoe

looks good to me. they get no love.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-14-2012, 02:43 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=762225

They'll add Matt Barnes tomorrow.

MetroMan
09-14-2012, 02:45 AM
http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=762225

They'll add Matt Barnes tomorrow.

OOPS my bad man. Been real busy lately. Haven't been on much at all.

LakersMaster24
09-14-2012, 03:04 AM
I dont like their bench even with all the names on it. I think it is too offensively minded.

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 03:23 AM
Man the clippers look real tough. A lot of winners on that team, guys thats been there before and played deep into the playoffs. They are going to be tough. Id rather play OKC than the clippers right now

Winners???

And what Griffin, DeAndre, crawford, Butler, Barnes, green, CP3, hill have won exactly???

Thunder is better by far.

douglas
09-14-2012, 03:37 AM
You can quote me on this: If the Los Angeles Clippers finish within the top 8 in the Western Conference, I guarantee you that they will make the playoffs.

Cracka2HI!
09-14-2012, 03:49 AM
I am one of the few Clipper fans on this board that doesn't mind Laker fans adopting the Clippers as their 2nd favorite team or another team to root for. As a Clipper fan I can admit this isn't a rivalry. I hope it becomes one. I think it will. I'd rather see you guys not root for us when we're not playing you but I understand why you do. I started out as a Laker fan but became a Clipper fan when I got my license and started going to games for $5 at the Sports Arena. I grew to hate the Lakers.

Over time I couldn't help but root for the Lakers because so many people close to me are fans. Espeically my Dad. It makes him very happy when the Lakers win titles. How can I not root for that? I would imagine the Clippers are similar for Laker fans in an opposite way. They know first hand how bad we've sucked just like Clipper fans do. They see a different team now, why not root for it? It's gotten to a point with me that I think Clipper fans who still hate the Lakers make it look like are more Laker haters than Clipper fans. Quite frankly I have no interest in talking Laker basketball at all but have no problem talking Clipper basketball with Laker fans. That said I have kyle's back because I know he's OG!

An all LA final would be Fn awesome and there really is only a 2 year window IMO. I don't think a lot of Laker fans can see it but their window is closing. Yea there has always been a Kobe or Shaq or Wilt or Kareem or Dwight, but this team is old and has no resources. Yes people want to play there but Championship teams don't happen over night. Even for the Lakers. They have A LOT of work to do post Kobe/Pau/Nash. The Clippers window probably opens next year assuming CP3 stays and VDN moves to the front office and brings in a new coach. I can see them possibly meeting in the WCF this year or next. Next year being much more likely. For both teams.

naps
09-14-2012, 04:36 AM
If Odom can play like the Odom of Lakers and if Billups comes back healthy and strong then they will be scary good. Chris Paul is a god at making his teammates better.

kobebabe
09-14-2012, 05:17 AM
Not bad at all. Question is do CP3 and BG stay healthy? Do Billups play at the same leve he used to now that he is coming from an injury and older? Which Odom shows up? The lakers version or the Mavs version? Other than that the team looks pretty good

JNoel
09-14-2012, 07:51 AM
You can quote me on this: If the Los Angeles Clippers finish within the top 8 in the Western Conference, I guarantee you that they will make the playoffs.

lmao

flea
09-14-2012, 08:00 AM
Still not seeing enough size or defense on the perimeter, Barnes notwithstanding. Not top-heavy enough or deep enough to really make a run. One superstar is far from enough, even if you have another very good player that the NBA is desperately trying to make a second superstar.

kdspurman
09-14-2012, 08:06 AM
Like many other teams we've seen, they look really good on paper. But let's wait and see how it all translates on the basketball court.

2-ONE-5
09-14-2012, 11:02 AM
its the offseason, relax

StinkEye
09-14-2012, 11:11 AM

you're on a roll, Douglas! Gobbles!!!!!

ZHawk1123
09-14-2012, 11:22 AM

:laugh:

Gold.

ChiSox219
09-14-2012, 11:30 AM
Still not seeing enough size or defense on the perimeter, Barnes notwithstanding. Not top-heavy enough or deep enough to really make a run. One superstar is far from enough, even if you have another very good player that the NBA is desperately trying to make a second superstar.

Bledsoe, Hill, and CP3 are all excellent perimeter defenders.

Clippers have two superstars but whatever plenty of ignorant blake haters.

kdspurman
09-14-2012, 11:34 AM

Call me ignorant, I don't think Blake is close to superstar status yet... That requires dominance on both ends of the court on a consistent basis, and someone who can carry their team and relied upon in all aspects.

All-star level certainly though.

Greedy22
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM

Call me ignorant, I don't think Blake is close to superstar status yet... That requires dominance on both ends of the court on a consistent basis, and someone who can carry their team and relied upon in all aspects.

All-star level certainly though. no, you're right. He hasn't reache superstar status, Blake isn't a very good defender and needs to work on his offensive game, mainly his midrange jumpshot.

SINCESTARBURY25
09-14-2012, 11:53 AM
Its okay Clips fans the Knicks look good and everyone hates us.

Felton
Shumpert
Melo
Amare
Chandler
---------
kidd
Smith
brewer
Novak
Thomas
Camby

2-ONE-5
09-14-2012, 01:02 PM
the Knicks only look good to Knicks fan

ChiSox219
09-14-2012, 01:03 PM
I guess superstar is defined differently by everyone.

VeejNasty
09-14-2012, 01:09 PM

-douglas

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-14-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm so sick of people saying Prigioni when they talk about our deep bench. :facepalm:

Chronz
09-14-2012, 01:38 PM

All-star level certainly though.

Being a superstar requires dominance on both ends? So basically there are only 2 superstars in the NBA? Dwight and Bron? CP3 is a fine defender but I wouldnt say he dominated defensively, he cant anchor a defense tho he can spearhead a great one so I guess he falls in the category but thats about it.

Sounds like a horrible way to measure who is and isnt a superstar. Kobe didnt dominate every year defensively, I still considered him a superstar in spite of it.

flea
09-14-2012, 01:45 PM

Bledsoe and CP3 are good but they don't have the size to guard anyone but PGs effectively. Grant Hill is 39 years old with bad knees. He's smart enough to be a plus defender, but he's no longer excellent (as much as it pains me to say, as he's one of my favorites of all time).

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Why??? because they signed three laker rejects...Barnes, Odom, Turiaf??? LMAO talk about the NBA's garbage disposal

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 01:52 PM
I guess superstar is defined differently by everyone.

When I think of superstar... only 3 guys come to mind ... Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James...If you talk to a person who doesn't closely follow the NB... say a housewife for instance... I bet she could name you those 3 guys and probably no one else

Maybe not even Howard...

But... also a superstar should be the best player on the top 10 teams I'd say.... No Wade is no longer a superstar but when it comes to the lakers I think Howard and Bryant both still are because they have completely diferent roles ala kobe and shaq were clearly both superstars....

so in that case

James
Bryant
Howard
Durant
Rondo
Paul

I'd say these are the superstars^^^ no one else! I might be forgetting 1 or 2 though

flea
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
When I think of superstar... only 3 guys come to mind ... Dwight Howard, Kobe Bryant, and Lebron James...If you talk to a person who doesn't closely follow the NB... say a housewife for instance... I bet she could name you those 3 guys and probably no one else

Kobe isn't a superstar anymore, unless you're going by jersey sales. CP3, Wade, Lebron, Howard, and Durant. Dirk, Love, Westbrook, Williams, and Bynum probably have an argument ahead of Kobe these days.

flea
09-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Rofl Rondo a superstar? And from a Lakers fan? You must be joking.

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 02:01 PM
Being a superstar requires dominance on both ends? So basically there are only 2 superstars in the NBA? Dwight and Bron? CP3 is a fine defender but I wouldnt say he dominated defensively, he cant anchor a defense tho he can spearhead a great one so I guess he falls in the category but thats about it.

Sounds like a horrible way to measure who is and isnt a superstar. Kobe didnt dominate every year defensively, I still considered him a superstar in spite of it.

First off idk if you're only 14 or something but Kobe is 34 so he doesn't always play tough on defense anymore to preserve himself... but vintage Kobe bryant >>>>>> Lebron James in terms of defense...yeah Lebron is super strong and fast but Kobe was a like down defender...Kobe Bryant is clearly a superstar buddy!!! Secondly technically you don't have to dominate on both ends of the floor to be a superstar... Durant is a superstar and although he has improved his defense...he is far from a defensive stallworth...but clearly is a superstar...vintage Steve Nash had no defense but once again you'd be delusional to not call him a superstar 5 years ago.... again Dwight Howard doesnt always dominate offensively so you are wrong again...your post is dumb no offense

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 02:03 PM
Kobe isn't a superstar anymore, unless you're going by jersey sales. CP3, Wade, Lebron, Howard, and Durant. Dirk, Love, Westbrook, Williams, and Bynum probably have an argument ahead of Kobe these days.

Lmao you are completely ...... stupid!!!! Bynum???? lbvs Dirk>>Bryant????? r u crazy?

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 02:05 PM
Rofl Rondo a superstar? And from a Lakers fan? You must be joking.

I'm just being honest buddy... Rondo is best passing point guard...either 1 or 2 with Steve Nash, Rondo is best defensive point guard... 1 or 2 with cp3...and Rondo is the best rebounding point guard...

1/2 passing
1/2 Defending
1 rebounding
and a very improved shooting game

Rondo>>>Paul and Paul is considered a superstar

Rondo is probably the 5th best player in the NBA bud

nickdymez
09-14-2012, 02:09 PM

He almost won the scoring tittle last year. Not to mention he's the most popular athelete in the NBA. Makes you a superstar

Mile High Champ
09-14-2012, 02:10 PM
Depends entirely on Odom and Bledsoe, the rest are question marks as well but nowhere near as significant

Grant Hill? I would take him any day over Caron Butler. He will be vital to the clippers team as he is one of their best role players.

Mr. LA
09-14-2012, 02:12 PM
Grant Hill? I would take him any day over Caron Butler. He will be vital to the clippers team as he is one of their best role players.

If you're relying on Grant Hill to take you to the playoffs let alone championship then I would'nt look to highly about the season just saying

flea
09-14-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm just being honest buddy... Rondo is best passing point guard...either 1 or 2 with Steve Nash, Rondo is best defensive point guard... 1 or 2 with cp3...and Rondo is the best rebounding point guard...

1/2 passing
1/2 Defending
1 rebounding

Rondo is probably the 5th best player in the NBA bud
CP3 was worth more than twice what Rondo was in win shares on the floor last year. I have no idea what kind of argument you think you made but I assure you it was nothing more than a re-assertion of your original point. Superstars should probably be worth at least 8 or 9 WS a season.

He almost won the scoring tittle last year. Not to mention he's the most popular athelete in the NBA. Makes you a superstar
While chucking the ball up at a Danny Granger rate of 43%, the lowest since he was 19. TS% of 53, in Rajon Rondo territory and a meager 6.2 WS.

Chronz
09-14-2012, 02:42 PM
First off idk if you're only 14 or something but Kobe is 34 so he doesn't always play tough on defense anymore to preserve himself...
When I say "Kobe didnt always dominate defensively" this implies throughout his career, if I were talking about Kobe NOW, I would have said "Kobe DOESN'T dominate defensively". See the difference?

but vintage Kobe bryant >>>>>> Lebron James in terms of defense...
Disagree and has nothing to do with my point about superstars.

Secondly technically you don't have to dominate on both ends of the floor to be a superstar...
Then tell that to the guy who says you do

again Dwight Howard doesnt always dominate offensively so you are wrong again...your post is dumb no offense
None taken bro, your insults are meaningless because they come from a man who doesnt get what Im saying.

Chronz
09-14-2012, 02:45 PM

Grant Hill had an off year and at his age hes a question mark to recover. I would take him over Butler too tho

Chronz
09-14-2012, 02:48 PM
Bledsoe and CP3 are good but they don't have the size to guard anyone but PGs effectively. Grant Hill is 39 years old with bad knees. He's smart enough to be a plus defender, but he's no longer excellent (as much as it pains me to say, as he's one of my favorites of all time).

Bledsoe can guard any SG not named Kobe

kdspurman
09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

Maybe I should've been more clear... A super is someone who has the ability to dominate the game on both ends and impact the game in more than one way.

That's just my opinion. You can't be a superstar if you can't do that on both ends of the court and do different things to help your team.

Frankly, I think the terms gets thrown around so easily now. But again, everyone has their own opinion.

When I think of superstars, I think of guys who can get it done on both ends, unless you're a freak offensively and can carry the load like Dirk, or KD. (I guess guys like that would be an exception) And Blake Griffin (who I originally posted about) is not there at this point in his career.

Cracka2HI!
09-14-2012, 03:57 PM
Why??? because they signed three laker rejects...Barnes, Odom, Turiaf??? LMAO talk about the NBA's garbage disposal
Great post! Very intelligent and informed! Not hard to tell you only watch team.

1/2 passing
1/2 Defending
1 rebounding

Rondo is probably the 5th best player in the NBA budAnd you don't watch the playoffs or Olympics either. Good stuff!

apet8945
09-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Bledsoe can guard any SG not named Kobe

Yes.

AI
09-14-2012, 04:45 PM
It's one of the best benches, not sure if the best though.

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Lol!
Kobe not a superstar anymore???
You will be called idiot for that.

Heater4life
09-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Heat deserve to be in the discussion.

Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Udonis Haslem, Reshard Lewis, Norris Cole

Health provided, thats talent on the bench.

SteBO
09-14-2012, 05:26 PM
I kinda like that Denver bench.....

b@llhog24
09-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Lol!
Kobe not a superstar anymore???
You will be called idiot for that.

In terms of marketability? Yes. In terms of on court production? Meh.

Ray Allen, Mike Miller, Shane Battier, Udonis Haslem, Reshard Lewis, Norris Cole

Looks like just a bunch of floor spacers to me.

PacersForLife
09-14-2012, 05:41 PM

I doubt it.

PacersForLife
09-14-2012, 05:43 PM

If that's their bench then who is starting? Anyways, their bench is not one of the best. Allen is the best player other than the big 3. But... obviously they proved you don't need that great of a bench to win if you have 2 superstars...

KNICKS R BACK
09-14-2012, 05:53 PM
Then so do Ridnour, Barea, Shved, Williams, Budinger, Stiemsma, and Cunningham.....

Get where I am going? May be a better than average bench, but not the best by any means, both the Knicks and the Wolves benches.

no...that wolves bench is not even close to the knicks bench...knicks have a top 5 bench...that wolves bench doesnt impress me what so ever besides Ridnour and Williams who hasnt lived up to his billing yet

PacersForLife
09-14-2012, 06:01 PM

I like what the Wolves are doing and all, but that bench is not all that enticing. Not that I'm saying the Knicks have one of the top benches either, but it looks better on paper.

YoungOne
09-14-2012, 06:07 PM
I like our bench more.

DoMeFavors
09-14-2012, 06:10 PM
No because their starting 2,3 and 5 arent that good

DoMeFavors
09-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Miami Heat by far 2 top 5 players in the starting lineup, a top big man as the center, and then all people who can hit the 3 like Chalmers,Ray,Lewis,Battier

San Fran Giant
09-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Dubs getting no love?
PG.Curry/Jack/Jenkins
SG.Thompson/Rush
SF.Barnes/Jefferson/Green
PF.Lee/Landry/Tyler
C.Bogut/Beidrins/Ezeli

Heater4life
09-14-2012, 06:40 PM
If that's their bench then who is starting? Anyways, their bench is not one of the best.

Mario Chalmers
Dwayne Wade
Lebron James
Chris Bosh
Joel Anthony

If Miami's bench is not one of the deepest/talented in the league then im not sure what the requirements are to earn that distinction.

Heater4life
09-14-2012, 06:45 PM

Yes indeed, and very talented ones at that. Given there past, I believe they are all more then capable of coming off the bench and excelling in their roles.

Chronz
09-14-2012, 06:49 PM

True, but I wager Spo is always going to have either Wade or Bron on the court with them. So maybe they dont have the best bench but the Heats rotation when the bench comes in will be deadly.

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 06:49 PM
In terms of marketability? Yes. In terms of on court production? Meh.

27.9pts/5.4rbs/4.6asts/1.2stls per game

So, I would like to hear which on court production is superstar level for you???

shep33
09-15-2012, 04:08 AM
On paper they've got some depth. Lot of question marks though:

1) A lot of us just assume Odom will have a bounce back year. I'll say this, the reason why he was the 6th man of the year (in my opinion) was because he was in the best shape of his life. He played in the FIBA championships in the summer with KD and the gang, and had never been in better shape. He's going to be 33 (an old 33 mind you, considering he's been in the league for 13 years and played in a ton of playoff games with the Lakers). Also, he might say that his off court issues have been dealt with and he's getting over the tragedy that he encountered, but saying it and getting over it is a very big difference. I love LO, dude is loved by Laker fans, but he's so emotional. His emotions have a huge influence on how he plays. I hope he's alright with everything now, because even on another team, I'd love to see this guy get back on track.

2) Small guards and their front line is questionable. Crawford, Willie Green and Chauncey are essentially the SG's on the team. Clearly their weakest position. Billups is coming off a brutal injury and will be 36 in a week, Green is there for depth, and Crawford has shown a steady decline over the past 3 years. Losing Kmart and Reggie Evans in particular is tough. A lot more responsibility falls to DJ, and he has to step it up now.

3) Hill had a really tough season last year, and he's going to be 40 in November.

All that being said. Ths team can still possibly make it to the Finals. As long as CP3 and Blake are healthy, they'll have a shot. Solid team on paper, but there has to be question marks about Odom, Hill, and Billups for sure.

Biggest addition in my opinion... getting Bledsoe back healthy. I didn't like how they didn't keep Kmart or Reggie Evans. I think both are better than Ronny.