PDA

View Full Version : Tracy McGrady to workout for Spurs & Knicks

Punk
09-13-2012, 01:15 PM
Still searching for an NBA franchise willing to guarantee a contract for next season, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady worked out for the San Antonio Spurs this week at the team's practice facility, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Tracy McGrady averaged 5.2 points and three assists with the Hawks last season. Next up for McGrady on Thursday is a workout for the New York Knicks, league sources said.

Time is running out for the 33-year-old McGrady to secure a guaranteed contract for the season. Sources say he will likely have to choose between accepting a "make-good" training-camp invite or going overseas – perhaps to China.]

The Spurs have brought several players to San Antonio to evaluate over recent weeks, and have yet to make a decision on whether McGrady could possibly fit into the team's plans this season. The Knicks have discussed the possibility of adding another perimeter scoring threat, and want to evaluate McGrady for a possible return. McGrady played 24 games in 2010 with the Knicks.

After 15 years in the league, McGrady had career-low numbers in Atlanta a season ago, averaging 5.2 points in 16 minutes per game. A former two-time scoring champion and first-team All-NBA player, McGrady has been slowed with knee problems in recent years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--tracy-mcgrady-works-out-for-spurs--to-meet-with-knicks.html

I think he's done. He ruined any veteran reputation he had after crying and moaning over his role with Detroit under Kuster and then doing it again with Larry Drew in Atlanta.

MrfadeawayJB
09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
He should go to the spurs

NYYCowboys
09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm going to be so pissed if the Knicks sign this guy. The last thing we need is another geriatric player.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 01:25 PM
He already played for the Knicks before. He doesn't really help the Spurs.

Just retire TMac, and take your cousin Wince with you. :laugh2:

SINCESTARBURY25
09-13-2012, 01:27 PM
My love for T-Mac will never die! Bring him back to NY! lmfao

SINCESTARBURY25
09-13-2012, 01:31 PM
If this guy could come in and give 6-8 points a game why not? He's a great guy I hope the Knicks sign him. I can't see much wrong here. The only thing he would have to do is realize he's not getting 30 mins. Hell actually we don't have a solid 2 guard at all. J.R. is our 6th man. Iman and Brewer are hurt so we can give Mcgrady like 15 games? He doesn't have to shoot a lot to get what he gets. Iman gave us like 12 points per game why can't Mcgrady do the same in limited mins? If he is looking for a Reserve Role on a team thats trying to go deep into the Play-offs then the Knicks and Spurs are the answer. If he wants to start I think the Bob-Cats have nothing to lose on him. He could turn out very well there actually. Ive always been a huge fan of T-MAC. and maybe im just remembering the wonder years but I would love to have him on my team.

HouRealCoach
09-13-2012, 01:33 PM
He's my favorite player too... I wouldn't mind him on the Knicks

colinskik
09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
He's done.

But for some reason I can picture him finding new success on the Spurs cause that's what always happens.

Pistol_Pete
09-13-2012, 01:39 PM
Unfortunately, this is exactly the type of player/situation the Knicks would jump on (again).

SINCESTARBURY25
09-13-2012, 01:41 PM
If this were the mid 2000s the knicks would be set.
pg-Jason Kidd
sg-T-MAC
sf-Melo
pf-Stat
C-Chandler/Camby

PacersForLife
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Spurs are his best chance to somewhat revive his career.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 01:54 PM

Actually, that would be the Suns, since they have such an awesome medical training staff. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, this guy is done. You guys really need to stop making excuses and having high hopes for him.

KNICKS R BACK
09-13-2012, 02:03 PM
i would go to the spurs if i were him, Greg Pop will figure out a nice role for him...i wouldnt be totally opposed to having him on the knicks but i can already see that he will complain about minutes, especially once shumpert comes back...shumpert, brewer, melo, novak, jr smith, james white...i'd say we are pretty stocked at the wing positions...the one thing i would welcome him for tho is his ability to drive the lane and kick the ball out...felton is our only PG that can do that, kidd cant do that anymore

PacersForLife
09-13-2012, 02:04 PM
Actually, that would be the Suns, since they have such an awesome medical training staff. :rolleyes:

Let's face it, this guy is done. You guys really need to stop making excuses and having high hopes for him.

Yeah I was gonna say the Suns too.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 02:11 PM
Yeah I was gonna say the Suns too.

I think McGrady has overstayed his welcome in the NBA. Atleast Iverson knew when to say "screw it" and went overseas.

kdspurman
09-13-2012, 02:19 PM
I think SA is just doing their due diligence unless there is a trade in mind where T-Mac could have a role. Guys like Leonard and Jackson are certainly going to occupy most of the minutes at the 3 spot, and the 2 spot is pretty much locked.

Again, unless there is a trade, I don't see how this works for SA or T-Mac unless he is ok with minimal playing time.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Spurs concern should be getting a viable backup to Duncan because Skip Bayless' boy Tiago Splitter is absolutely horrible.

That's why I've heard Spurs are in discussions with Kyrylo Fesenko.

Chronz
09-13-2012, 02:25 PM
Spurs would be best

I think McGrady has overstayed his welcome in the NBA. Atleast Iverson knew when to say "screw it" and went overseas.

AI didnt say screw it, he couldnt get a job, he wanted back in the NBA.

29$JerZ
09-13-2012, 02:26 PM
I'd like for the Knicks to sign him since he certainly is better than James White and Copeland.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 02:33 PM
Spurs would be best

AI didnt say screw it, he couldnt get a job, he wanted back in the NBA.

After a while, I'm sure the poor guy got fed up with just waiting.

kdspurman
09-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Spurs concern should be getting a viable backup to Duncan because Skip Bayless' boy Tiago Splitter is absolutely horrible.

That's why I've heard Spurs are in discussions with Kyrylo Fesenko.

He's not horrible. He's one of the best finishers off the P&R in the game, He's shown the capability to get 12-15 at 60+%, draw fouls, make good passes, and block shots. He's just not a game changer or someone to carry the team. But horrible? Not by any means...

And Fesenko would provide height, and ability to bang with the bigger bodies in the post, but I wouldn't say he's much better or better than Splitter. They just have different styles.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-13-2012, 02:47 PM
^^^ I think it's all between the ears for Splitter.

JordansBulls
09-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Go to the Spurs if not the Bulls. I'd go to a few Spurs game while I live in Houston.

PleaseBeNice
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
^ just obsessed jb. Its sickening

Lab Rat Robby
09-13-2012, 03:44 PM
he'd find some playing time. for some reason pop loves small ballin. tmac has always killed in san antonio. i'd love to have him killin in san antonio for the home team.

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-13-2012, 03:49 PM
He's a scrub, I don't want that "Me always" scab in silver and black. I have always loved the Spurs and this is the kind of guy that would never work here. He also would be a last option off the bench. The Spurs don't need a two/three unless Neal is on the block. Back to McGrady, just retire you has been too much talent lack of heart piece of trash. PS, the Knicks fit you perfectly.

Giraffes Rule
09-13-2012, 03:51 PM
T-Mac wouldn't get on the floor before Manu, Green, Leonard, Jackson, or Neal. Maybe if he could get playing time the Spurs could make something of him, but what's the point when they have 5 guys that play well for them already?

EricMontross
09-13-2012, 03:53 PM
Mcgrady should try to preserve his dignity and walk away

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Mcgrady should try to preserve his dignity and walk away

His dignity dried up in Toronto. He has none left. Like his knees he's pretty worn down and worthless.

Chronz
09-13-2012, 03:59 PM
He's a scrub, I don't want that "Me always" scab in silver and black. I have always loved the Spurs and this is the kind of guy that would never work here. He also would be a last option off the bench. The Spurs don't need a two/three unless Neal is on the block. Back to McGrady, just retire you has been too much talent lack of heart piece of trash. PS, the Knicks fit you perfectly.

Tell him how you really feel, tell us about the night he left you standing alone in the cold rain.

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-13-2012, 04:01 PM
Tell him how you really feel, tell us about the night he left you standing alone in the cold rain.

lol, that's fair. One of the few players I have no respect for in any sense. Plain and simple.

Fresno
09-13-2012, 04:04 PM

From his reaction I doubt he left him standing alone in the cold rain, it probably ended up with him catching a cab after being covered in warm piss.

Just wow.

The hate for T-Mac is so ridiculous on here you'd think he took his talents to South Beach after playing for the Lakers and demanding a trade the whole year.

Fresno
09-13-2012, 04:09 PM

What more do you expect out of him?

He has already realized that he's a backup/role player at this point in his career due to his physical limitations, but even being in that role opens him up for criticism because people complain about why he can't play like he once did. If T-Mac had never been a former All-NBA player, people wouldn't have such complaints about a 6'8 SF who comes off the bench to give you a few points, rebounds, can handle the ball like a PG, gives you average defense, & comes equipped with a highly skilled offensive game.

Its obvious that he just wants to keep playing in the NBA.

He didn't let ego get in the way of the physical limitations he now has, but people want him to quit playing so they don't have to see him be anything other than an Elite player.

GrkGawdofWalkz
09-13-2012, 04:14 PM
From his reaction I doubt he left him standing alone in the cold rain, it probably ended up with him catching a cab after being covered in warm piss.

Just wow.

The hate for T-Mac is so ridiculous on here you'd think he took his talents to South Beach after playing for the Lakers and demanding a trade the whole year.

Where do you consider him. I mean he's had 4 or 5 peak years where he was in essence Kevin Durant. But, he's never gotten anywhere. The common thoughts of oh he never had a second player this and that is an overrated conversation. He's a scorer and that's about it. He's very comparable on lots of levels to Vince Carter. He quit in Houston and in Orlando. What's more to say about him.

DoMeFavors
09-13-2012, 04:34 PM
If he signs with Knicks that would be a bunch of washed up players, that are old and can get injured easily and very little athletic team.

SteBO
09-13-2012, 04:42 PM
He's better off retiring.....

Fresno
09-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Where do you consider him. I mean he's had 4 or 5 peak years where he was in essence Kevin Durant. But, he's never gotten anywhere. The common thoughts of oh he never had a second player this and that is an overrated conversation. He's a scorer and that's about it. He's very comparable on lots of levels to Vince Carter. He quit in Houston and in Orlando. What's more to say about him.

You're not about to lure me into an argument about T-Mac in his prime.

That debate has been beaten to death.

All I'm saying is the hate he receives on here is very extreme.

StarvingKnick22
09-13-2012, 05:24 PM
He sucked when he left us. Come back, Mr.T-Mac.

smith&wesson
09-13-2012, 05:30 PM
come back to toronto tmac....

i think calderon will be traded by the dead line. tmac can get mins behind lowry at pg and also he can mentor young guys like ross, derozan, & fields. i think there is a role on the raps for him. vets min!

Kashmir13579
09-13-2012, 05:51 PM
YES! Come home to the Knicks T-mac!

Chronz
09-13-2012, 06:00 PM
Can I be lured into a Tmac debate. How is he not having adequate support or health for that matter, overrated?

mdm692
09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Suns and Spurs are his best chance at reviving his career. Thankfully he isn't mentioned around PHX though.

Tmath
09-13-2012, 06:01 PM
come back to toronto tmac....

i think calderon will be traded by the dead line. tmac can get mins behind lowry at pg and also he can mentor young guys like ross, derozan, & fields. i think there is a role on the raps for him. vets min!

He's probably the last guy you want mentoring our young players.

StarvingKnick22
09-13-2012, 06:33 PM
If he signs with Knicks that would be a bunch of washed up players, that are old and can get injured easily and very little athletic team.

JJ, Crash are washed up aswell. Lopez and Williams are injury prone. Good Luck with your Kardashian-based team.

Losoway
09-13-2012, 08:30 PM
tracy would argue with greg every day

its over just retire

xxplayerxx23
09-13-2012, 08:56 PM
Meh, His curse scares me :laugh2:

NBA-GMaster
09-14-2012, 08:21 AM
I like both teams mentioned for T-mac.. :pray: atleast score a 10+ ppg..

Heatcheck
09-14-2012, 09:42 AM
If this guy could come in and give 6-8 points a game why not? He's a great guy I hope the Knicks sign him. I can't see much wrong here. The only thing he would have to do is realize he's not getting 30 mins. Hell actually we don't have a solid 2 guard at all. J.R. is our 6th man. Iman and Brewer are hurt so we can give Mcgrady like 15 games? He doesn't have to shoot a lot to get what he gets. Iman gave us like 12 points per game why can't Mcgrady do the same in limited mins? If he is looking for a Reserve Role on a team thats trying to go deep into the Play-offs then the Knicks and Spurs are the answer. If he wants to start I think the Bob-Cats have nothing to lose on him. He could turn out very well there actually. Ive always been a huge fan of T-MAC. and maybe im just remembering the wonder years but I would love to have him on my team.

because its just 6-8 pts per game. you already have a j.r. who scores more than macgrady nowadays and is healthier. he doesnt remotely give you what iman and brewer do which is defense. Just face the fact that he's no good for your team. i had to come to the same realization myself. as bad as you want him on the team, its just not a good fit (i got let down 2 years in a row).

JordansBulls
09-17-2012, 08:19 PM
Can I be lured into a Tmac debate. How is he not having adequate support or health for that matter, overrated?

:confused:

5ass
09-17-2012, 08:37 PM
fits well with the spurs. Good shooter, high basketball IQ. He should back up Kawhi Leonard.

LeonFSU
09-17-2012, 11:33 PM

So what you are really trying to say is you never saw him play in Orlando or Houston?

kdspurman
09-18-2012, 09:37 AM
fits well with the spurs. Good shooter, high basketball IQ. He should back up Kawhi Leonard.

Already got Stephen Jackson for that

ManningToTyree
09-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Please not again.

ink
09-18-2012, 11:50 AM
He already played for the Knicks before. He doesn't really help the Spurs.

Just retire TMac, and take your cousin Wince with you. :laugh2:

It's funny to see how his generation of players has gone out badly: VC, AI, McGrady, etc. Good riddance.

Nomar
09-18-2012, 03:00 PM
T-Mac's gonna go to the Spurs and average 20 PPG magically because of Pop