PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Predictions: 2012-13 NBA champions

JordansBulls
09-12-2012, 06:06 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8305767/2012-nba-summer-forecast-nba-champions

Miami Heat 57

LA Lakers 31

OKC Thunder 12

Iron24th
09-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Lol they don't show okc any respect.

It should have been mia, okc, then lal.

Hawkeye15
09-12-2012, 06:16 PM

agreed.

StarvingKnick22
09-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Why do they call them "experts" if all they do is either choose the obvious choice or make the worst possible one?

LAKERMANIA
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
As expected, the defending champs normally win these types of polls

Losoway
09-12-2012, 06:28 PM
Okc is better then the lakers

i dont understand why they have them so low

asandhu23
09-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Golden State Warriors.

Avenged
09-12-2012, 06:32 PM
1st won is obvious.

Lakers and Thunder should be right about even. Any of those 2 teams can take each other out (at least for now on paper since we haven't seen LAL play yet)

JNoel
09-12-2012, 06:53 PM

You need to become a mod.

Why do they call them "experts" if all they do is either choose the obvious choice or make the worst possible one?
Heat are the obvious choice because they are the best team. They wouldn't be "experts" if they bet against them. I do think the odds should be more even with the Lakers though, both Heat and Lakers have equally good pieces. Should be an interesting season.

MackSnackWrap
09-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Should be Mia, Okc, than La

Gritz
09-12-2012, 07:15 PM

They call themselves experts because the network pretty much dominates sports coverage and they figure they can call themselves whatever they want

SteBO
09-12-2012, 07:36 PM

I couldn't agree more. But if you're a Thunder fan, you should estatic by this. The Thunder are a team that would do better flying under the radar given how young they are.

dc5jdm
09-12-2012, 07:39 PM
Who cares what predictions say, play the mothafreakin season already.

Ebbs
09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
That be my 3 as well.

bholly
09-12-2012, 08:31 PM

Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/expert

Just because you don't need to be an expert to think those three are the big favourites, doesn't mean people who do think that aren't experts.
If a choice is truly obvious to people who know about basketball, then picking something else would probably suggest you aren't an expert.

bholly
09-12-2012, 08:31 PM
Also why are we re-discussing a poll that came out two weeks ago?

Il Mago50
09-12-2012, 09:15 PM
Boston mark my words....

JordansBulls
09-12-2012, 09:41 PM
Boston mark my words....

Not impossible but I wouldn't count on it.

Gram
09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Detroit Pistons.

DR_1
09-12-2012, 10:00 PM
It's ESPN, so you can toss this out the window. And I'm talking about OKC. They got shafted heavily here.

Baller1
09-12-2012, 10:23 PM
Not surprised since the Lakers are unfair on paper, but I do think that OKC is getting disrespected.

theheatles
09-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Complete and utter disrespect to Miami...60-22? 60-22!? Are you ****ing kidding me? Any prediction shy of 79-3 is a disgrace to humankind and that person should get abandoned in Antarctica...

jerellh528
09-12-2012, 11:18 PM
check out vegas odds

TheSource
09-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Complete and utter disrespect to Miami...60-22? 60-22!? Are you ****ing kidding me? Any prediction shy of 79-3 is a disgrace to humankind and that person should get abandoned in Antarctica...

Not sure if..

JasonJohnHorn
09-13-2012, 02:34 AM
I'd rather see somebody make an interesting choice than a safe one. I'd like to see somebody pick Indy or SA... LAL/MIA/OKC are all obvious choices... and yes, if I were putting money on it I'd say one of those three teams is going to win it all... but I'd rather make an interesting pick and be wrong, than make a safe pic and be right.

naps
09-13-2012, 02:48 AM
OKC is not getting respect. They should be #2 or at least on par with LA.

NOTE: Watch how JB starts using these polls next year against LeBron or Kobe, whichever lose to a low vote getter here :laugh2:

ldawg
09-13-2012, 10:31 AM
I think the sf position will hurt the Lakers. Ebanks will help against KD a bit but he is useless against Lebron. Artest is still a solid defender and still a very good player however i think right now he is a bad fit for their starting 5. He is just to slow and he is a power player. You can also bet on him to loose his cool at the wrong time.

Hoopsadvocate
09-13-2012, 10:35 AM
I'd rather see somebody make an interesting choice than a safe one. I'd like to see somebody pick Indy or SA... LAL/MIA/OKC are all obvious choices... and yes, if I were putting money on it I'd say one of those three teams is going to win it all... but I'd rather make an interesting pick and be wrong, than make a safe pic and be right.

Then you would be wrong 99% of the time so you would have zero credibility so why would anyone want to listen to what u have to say then if they know all ur gonna do is pick the non obvious but more than likely wrong choice "just to be different".

nickdymez
09-13-2012, 12:47 PM

No man. Your a lakers fan so i know you watched those playoffs games. OKC didnt flat out kill the Lakers, the Lakers lost due to lack of talent at the point guard position and depth on the bench. With those things adressed, the lakers should have no problems beating OKC. Heat should remain 1, lakers 2, and OKC 3. Though I really think Clippers are going to be tough

king4day
09-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Boston, Denver, and NY would be the wild cards but sadly they got this right.

Other sports you can throw in close to 7-10 teams that have a legit chance at a title before the season starts.
In Basketball? 3-4.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Too little disparity in the NBA.

BigDFan85
09-13-2012, 01:06 PM
I couldn't agree more. But if you're a Thunder fan, you should estatic by this. The Thunder are a team that would do better flying under the radar given how young they are.

After last year I don't think they are flying under anyone's radar. Quite the contrary, I think they are one of the teams with a huge target on their back.

Longhornfan1234
09-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Heat beat OKC in 6. It's all about match ups. The Heat can beat the Thunder, the Thunder can beat the Lakers, and the Lakers can beat the Heat.

tcav701
09-13-2012, 01:24 PM
The fact that 88% percent of the voters voted for 2 teams and the fact that 3 teams were selected at all shows how unbalnced and pathetic the NBA has come.

New CBA my ***.

SteBO
09-13-2012, 06:53 PM
After last year I don't think they are flying under anyone's radar. Quite the contrary, I think they are one of the teams with a huge target on their back.
It should be that way, but the way people are crowning the Lakers as the greatest thing since sliced bread OKC most certainly won't feel the same level of expectations like LA will, as evident by these ridiculous ESPN predictions.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-13-2012, 07:01 PM
NBA Favs, IMO

1. Heat
2. Thunder
3. Lakers
4a. Celtics 4b. Spurs

bholly
09-13-2012, 11:53 PM

That's what darkhorse picks are for. These guys have plenty of chances to make those kinds of picks. This is for who they think is most likely to win - not who they think is an interesting team to pick.

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 02:48 AM
You need to become a mod.

Thank you :)

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 02:56 AM
No man. Your a lakers fan so i know you watched those playoffs games. OKC didnt flat out kill the Lakers, the Lakers lost due to lack of talent at the point guard position and depth on the bench. With those things adressed, the lakers should have no problems beating OKC. Heat should remain 1, lakers 2, and OKC 3. Though I really think Clippers are going to be tough

Stop being an homer my fellow Lakers fan, I watched all the games of the OKC series, and having a better team on paper doesn't guarantee to beat them, they're playing together since 3 years and they learned how to win.

Chemistry will make or break our team, until they haven't played a single game, we can't put them ahead the two best NBA teams.

That's it.

D Blue987
09-14-2012, 03:30 AM
Well the Lakers certainly closed the gap on OKC with the improvements to the bench, Howard, and especially steve nash at pg. PG play was terrible in the playoffs for the Lakers. The bench might have been equally as bad. On paper, the Lakers are a **** your pants scary team but OKC is getting disrespected somewhat. I can see why the analysts have this bias toward the Lakers though. I mean they added Howard and Nash to an already existing Kobe and Pau, how were the analysts supposed to vote on this? lol. Its not like LA had no prayer at winning that series last year with the lackluster team they had. 2 games they faltered at the end which could have seen the Lakers advance over the Thunder. They made the big moves and history says, the Lakers never stay irrelevant for long periods of time. Just saying. The Thunder are very very good but its not like the Lakers are unworthy of the votes they are getting. Dont see why everyone gets worked up over what BSPN says anyway. haha.

DenButsu
09-14-2012, 04:41 AM

I was one of the voters, and my vote was in that order.

SaimuKala
09-14-2012, 07:05 AM
NBA Favs, IMO

1. Heat
2. Thunder
3. Lakers
4a. Celtics 4b. Spurs

Agreed.

bucketss
09-14-2012, 08:24 AM
The fact that 88% percent of the voters voted for 2 teams and the fact that 3 teams were selected at all shows how unbalnced and pathetic the NBA has come.

New CBA my ***.

has become? hasn't it always been like this?

nickdymez
09-14-2012, 10:05 AM
Stop being an homer my fellow Lakers fan, I watched all the games of the OKC series, and having a better team on paper doesn't guarantee to beat them, they're playing together since 3 years and they learned how to win.

Chemistry will make or break our team, until they haven't played a single game, we can't put them ahead the two best NBA teams.

That's it.

Dude, if i wasnt a Lakers fan and a team with Howard, Nash, Gasol, Bryant, and Ron Artest was taking the floor, Id pick hem to win. I agree that chemistry is a factor, but what if it isnt? What if they gel and roll? Then you still got OKC?

Burkey3472
09-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Boston, Denver, and NY would be the wild cards but sadly they got this right.

Other sports you can throw in close to 7-10 teams that have a legit chance at a title before the season starts.
In Basketball? 3-4.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Too little disparity in the NBA.

When I opened this thread up I immediately thought of this and its the reason why the NBA will always be my 4th favorite sport. You can be in talks before the season about winning your division and being a top 3 seed in your conference but have very little to no realistic chance at winning a title.

SteBO
09-14-2012, 10:39 AM
Dude, if i wasnt a Lakers fan and a team with Howard, Nash, Gasol, Bryant, and Ron Artest was taking the floor, Id pick hem to win. I agree that chemistry is a factor, but what if it isnt? What if they gel and roll? Then you still got OKC?
Some people would, because the Lakers perimeter defense is simply not good enough to contend with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden when they attack the basket. Some of you guys also tend to leave out the fact that the Thunder led the league last year in FT attempts and makes. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's going to come down to who can mask theirs better and which superstar is going to step up.

IndiansFan337
09-14-2012, 10:45 AM
http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8305767/2012-nba-summer-forecast-nba-champions

I can't believe that LAL is getting more votes than OKC.

I still think it's got to be Miami though, injuries withstanding. But the same can be said about any of the top teams with injury concerns.

MTar786
09-14-2012, 12:10 PM
lol its so funny people think the thunder have a chance. The lakers would kill em now. miami is LA's only worry. infact, barring injury.. its def LA vs Miami in the finals.

bucketss
09-14-2012, 12:37 PM
lol its so funny people think the thunder have a chance. The lakers would kill em now. miami is LA's only worry. infact, barring injury.. its def LA vs Miami in the finals.

:facepalm:i will be rooting against the lakers harder than i have ever in my life.

nickdymez
09-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Some people on this site try and be politically correct so they can fit in and people will know them as a "respected" poster. To do that, they feel they have to say what people want to hear like this is sportscenter. I like people like MTar who speaks his mind. There is no way that any true laker fan could think that OKC could beat the Lakers. I didnt see anyone here picking the Mavs last year after they won. And I saw plenty of people here pick the Heat when Lebron joined. A bunch of hypocrites if you ask me.

DenButsu
09-14-2012, 12:50 PM
:laugh2: Man, if the collective arrogance of the Lakers fan base could somehow be harnessed and converted into an energy source, it would easily power the all of the L.A. Basin, if not the entire western seaboard.

dh144498
09-14-2012, 03:14 PM
OKC is so overrated.... beating the Spurs last season was a fluke. They got lucky.

Bellz
09-14-2012, 03:36 PM
The nets

Hardaway Here
09-14-2012, 03:52 PM
Heat beat OKC in 6. It's all about match ups. The Heat can beat the Thunder, the Thunder can beat the Lakers, and the Lakers can beat the Heat.

Lakers haven't proved they can beat the Heat so invalid point and Heat beat OKC in 5 your credibility is a ZERO

Hardaway Here
09-14-2012, 03:54 PM
:laugh2: Man, if the collective arrogance of the Lakers fan base could somehow be harnessed and converted into an energy source, it would easily power the all of the L.A. Basin, if not the entire western seaboard.

This
I swear the number of respectable Laker fans I can talk to that don't have blinders on are very limited I can count them all on my finger and maybe toes I try to find more as the years roll on

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 05:11 PM
Then if they gel, it will be a different story.

Some people would, because the Lakers perimeter defense is simply not good enough to contend with Durant, Westbrook, and Harden when they attack the basket. Some of you guys also tend to leave out the fact that the Thunder led the league last year in FT attempts and makes. Both teams have their strengths and weaknesses, and it's going to come down to who can mask theirs better and which superstar is going to step up.

This.
Thank you SteBO.

Iron24th
09-14-2012, 05:12 PM
This
I swear the number of respectable Laker fans I can talk to that don't have blinders on are very limited I can count them all on my finger and maybe toes I try to find more as the years roll on

Then you found me :)

Underdogz∞
09-15-2012, 12:43 AM
Here you go: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/expert

Just because you don't need to be an expert to think those three are the big favourites, doesn't mean people who do think that aren't experts.
If a choice is truly obvious to people who know about basketball, then picking something else would probably suggest you aren't an expert.

:laugh2: Damn! That was cooold blooded!

MrfadeawayJB
09-15-2012, 12:54 AM
If a healthy Lakers squad meets the Heat to me its the lakers 'ship to lose. Bigs in paint would be way too much for MIA to handle

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Lakers fans are flat out garbage.

KBfrom8to24
09-15-2012, 07:10 AM
Okc is better then the lakers

i dont understand why they have them so low

Because the truth is... Oklahoma is overrated, they don't deserve to be in the Finals because they are losers, and they have no heart.

LJEATON26
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Because the truth is... Oklahoma is overrated, they don't deserve to be in the Finals because they are losers, and they have no heart.

You're an idiot and since the Thunder beat the lakers in 5 does that mean that the Lakers shouldn't have even been in the playoffs? OkC will fly under the radar and handle the Lakers once again. They will also give a better showing against the heat in the finals with one more year of experience.

JordansBulls
09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
I can't believe that LAL is getting more votes than OKC.

I still think it's got to be Miami though, injuries withstanding. But the same can be said about any of the top teams with injury concerns.

The ESPN analysts are more intrigued by star power.

DLCK
09-17-2012, 08:41 PM
Serious question. People who feel OKC should be higher the LAL what are your reasons for this thought? Ofcourse my opinion is bias but OKC did nothing to improve they have the same squad and should be better playing another year together but LAL improved their bench with Meeks and Jamison and added two top 5 players at their positions and top5 player period to their team. How can you not see how LAL would be favored above them?

justinnum1
09-17-2012, 08:49 PM
Serious question. People who feel OKC should be higher the LAL what are your reasons for this thought? Ofcourse my opinion is bias but OKC did nothing to improve they have the same squad and should be better playing another year together but LAL improved their bench with Meeks and Jamison and added two top 5 players at their positions and top5 player period to their team. How can you not see how LAL would be favored above them?

Experience.

LAKERMANIA
09-17-2012, 08:51 PM
Experience.

The Lakers have experience

justinnum1
09-17-2012, 08:53 PM
The Lakers have experience

ok. and now the thunder have more experience then they had before.

Tmath
09-17-2012, 09:03 PM
So much parity. :rolleyes:

DenButsu
09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
The ESPN analysts are more intrigued by star power.

I think that's a major oversimplification, JB. There were over a hundred voters in this thing. And a lot voted for OKC over LAL (in fact, the voting was so close that LAL and OKC ended up with the same winning record, differentiated only by decimals). And I'd question the premise that a vote for LAL over OKC is a vote "for" star power. I mean... Durant? Westbrook? Those guys don't have the longevity of name recognition as the Lakers guys do, but certainly nobody could argue that they're not bigtime stars now in their own right.

Also, if you look at the complete results, you'll find a lot of cases (the Nuggets over the Mavs and the Nets/76ers over the Knicks, for example) where (perceived) team quality was prioritized over star power:

RANK TEAM W L
CONF TEAM W L
1 Miami Heat 60 22
1 Okla. City Thunder* 59 23
2 Los Angeles Lakers* 59 23
3 San Antonio Spurs 54 28
2 Boston Celtics* 50 32
3 Indiana Pacers* 50 32
4 Los Angeles Clippers* 50 32
5 Denver Nuggets* 50 32
6 Memphis Grizzlies 48 34
4 Chicago Bulls* 46 36
5 Brooklyn Nets* 46 36
6 Philadelphia 76ers* 46 36
7 Dallas Mavericks 46 36
7 New York Knicks 45 37
8 Utah Jazz* 41 41
9 Minn. Timberwolves* 41 41
8 Atlanta Hawks 40 42
10 G.S. Warriors 38 44
9 Milwaukee Bucks 37 45
11 Portland Trail Blazers 35 47
10 Cleveland Cavaliers 33 49
12 Houston Rockets 33 49
11 Toronto Raptors 32 50
12 Washington Wizards 31 51
13 New Orleans Hornets 31 51
13 Detroit Pistons 30 52
14 Phoenix Suns 30 52
15 Sacramento Kings 29 53
14 Orlando Magic 21 61
15 Charlotte Bobcats 19 63

FWIW, I voted that OKC w/ the most regular season wins (more than MIA and LAL). I figured with their youth and depth they're the least likely to have rough stretches on the injury front, and MIA and LAL will have some chemistry things to work out with new players, etc.

Raph12
09-18-2012, 11:03 AM
Hard to predict without seeing the new Lakers squad on the court, they should be left out of every prediction just to be fair.

Showtime Steve
09-18-2012, 11:23 AM
Those saying lakers have experience know this. Team experience and chemistry wins. We have absolutely no TEAM experience. Andthe elephant in the room is how long dwight will be out because he is a huge piece that needs to be acclimated to these stars and schemes offensively and defensively. When you youtube what nash and dwight have done, its on their own teams. There is no way all of our big 4's stats remain as high as they did on their own teams when placed on same court with 1 ball. Sooner andmore experience they can get on the court together and know lil quirks and favorite spots. team usa when they were playing iso ball teams would move the ball and open person hit the shot, no egos. Everybody must take a sep back to move forward. OKC is going into this season right where they want to be, overlooked.