PDA

View Full Version : Mark cuban - the lakers done this before

Losoway
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
“The Lakers have done this before,” Cuban said. “Remember Gary Payton, Karl Malone and Kobe and Shaq were all together, and it didn’t work. It takes great chemistry, like coach (Rick Carlisle) alluded to, it takes guys wanting to be there — I don’t know if all their guys want to be there — it’s going to be interesting.”

“Look, (the Lakers are) going to be a great team, but I remember when we made our run,” Cuban said. “We weren’t supposed to win any series. The Lakers were defending champs when we swept them, and they had everybody back. A lot of teams do a great job winning the summer, but I never get so antsy about what happens over the summer.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-09-10/mark-cuban-la-lakers-dwight-howard-steve-nash-trade-dallas-mavericks

i actually agree to a certain degree..i feel it all depends on kobe ego and which kobe is coming back this year

discuss

wordup45
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Why don't people understand that when you compare Nash and Payton, it's Payton being a player on the decline (although he averaged 14 pts and 6 asts that year) vs a Nash who still plays at a high level. Also, Karl Malone was going into his 19TH AND FINAL SEASON vs a Dwight whose in his prime and is the best C in the league...

topdog
09-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Not the same at all imo. More like the Pau trade. That's the thing to remember - it was Payton and Malone's last grasp for a championship (signing for minimums) and it actually was going fairly well until the playoffs.

Cuban is a guy who is always going to spin things. Nice try, but Dwight doesn't want Dallas.

smith&wesson
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
comparing karl malone in his last season to dwight howard in his prime is just about the dumbest thing ive heard an owner say.

funny how he brings up chemistry when the dallas mavricks basically have a new roster.

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 03:16 PM
The Lakers started that year off 22-5 or something ridiculous and made it to the finals. Only to get beat by one of the most dominant defensive teams EVER with a hall of fame coach. Plus Malone was hurt. Ok Mark

naps
09-12-2012, 03:19 PM
LOL Cuban sounds so hurt.

People are underrating Malone and Payton here bigtime. Malone was a 20/8 guy when he joined the Lakers. Payton was 20/9 when he joined the Lakers and he was still miles better than Nash on defense.

Losoway
09-12-2012, 03:25 PM
YOU GUYS ARE UNDERATING KARL AND PAYTON WAY TOOOOOO MUCH

MALONE DROPPED 20/9 WHEN HE JOINED THE LAKERS AND SO DID PAYTON

PAYTON WAS BETTER THEN NASH AT THIS STAGE OF THERE CAREER and played way better defensive

SHAQ-MALONE-KOBE-PAYTON was suppose to be a dynasty but they all hated kobe ego

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 03:26 PM

PAYTON WAS BETTER THEN NASH AT THIS STAGE OF THERE CAREER and played way better defensive

Troll

Thunder-Sooner
09-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Everybody can make all the predictions about the Lakers or anything else but the truth is that nobody knows what's gonna happen until it happens and it all starts happening November 1st.

wordup45
09-12-2012, 03:28 PM

How could they be a dynasty when Malone and Payton had so little time left?

Randy West
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM
And Cuban has whined before so that makes it all even

Odominator
09-12-2012, 03:29 PM

It sounds like you are just as bitter as Cuban.

Anyways, the question was regarding super teams. That Lakers superteam only had one season together in which they were unsuccessful.

The Miami Heat had failed in their first season upon forming their Super Team and ended up winning it all the following year.

And just for clarification, no one is underrating Malone and Payton, they are making comparisons to Dwight and Nash. Malone was on his way out of the game and Payton lost the quick step he had that gave him the edge on so many players. At this point in their careers at joining the Lakers, a team of Dwight and Nash is much better than the aging Karl M. and Gary P.

smith&wesson
09-12-2012, 03:30 PM

No ones under rating karl malone, one of the best powerfowards of all time.. but tell me how you compare malone who was in his last season to prime dwight ?

sure if malone went to the lakers in his prime i could see the comparison. but that def was not the case.

STAT1
09-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I think Dwight told Cuban he wanted Dallas and didn't want to join the lakers before the trade. That seems to me what Cubans "not everyone wants to be there" quote.

Losoway
09-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Troll

troll???

Payton stats before lakers in 2002 PPG - 19.8 APG - 7.6 SPG- 1.8 (AND HE ONLY PLAYED 28 GAMES THIS YEAR ...you dont even wanna know his stats from the year before)
STEVE NASH IN 2002 PPG 17.7 APG - 7.4

Losoway
09-12-2012, 03:32 PM
No ones under rating karl malone, one of the best powerfowards of all time.. but tell me how you compare malone who was in his last season to prime dwight ?

sure if malone went to the lakers in his prime i could see the comparison. but that def was not the case.

no way in shape size or form was i or would ever compare malone to dwight

But i did compare payton to nash

Odominator
09-12-2012, 03:34 PM
“The Lakers have done this before,” Cuban said. “Remember Gary Payton, Karl Malone and Kobe and Shaq were all together, and it didn’t work. It takes great chemistry, like coach (Rick Carlisle) alluded to, it takes guys wanting to be there — I don’t know if all their guys want to be there — it’s going to be interesting.”

“Look, (the Lakers are) going to be a great team, but I remember when we made our run,” Cuban said. “We weren’t supposed to win any series. The Lakers were defending champs when we swept them, and they had everybody back. A lot of teams do a great job winning the summer, but I never get so antsy about what happens over the summer.”

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2012-09-10/mark-cuban-la-lakers-dwight-howard-steve-nash-trade-dallas-mavericks

i actually agree to a certain degree..i feel it all depends on kobe ego and which kobe is coming back this year

discuss

Pretty sad to see Cuban still holding onto the one year that they eliminated the Lakers. Interesting to see that the Lakers never re-hash the countless times they booted Dallas out of the playoffs on their way to 16 world championships.

TotesMagotes
09-12-2012, 03:36 PM
I'm pretty sure Cuban isn't comparing the Nash vs. Payton and Howard vs. Malone; he's comparing teams that stockpiled players that may not fit a system or mesh well together... I'm pretty confident I didn't misread his quotes.

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 03:43 PM
I'm pretty sure Cuban isn't comparing the Nash vs. Payton and Howard vs. Malone; he's comparing teams that stockpiled players that may not fit a system or mesh well together... I'm pretty confident I didn't misread his quotes.

They made the finals

StinkEye
09-12-2012, 03:57 PM
Maybe the right comparison player-wise is Dwight to Shaq, and Pau to Malone. It works a little bit better that way. That Malone/Payton team was still damn great. Making it to the finals is an accomplishment.

Alayla
09-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Why don't people understand that when you compare Nash and Payton, it's Payton being a player on the decline (although he averaged 14 pts and 6 asts that year) vs a Nash who still plays at a high level. Also, Karl Malone was going into his 19TH AND FINAL SEASON vs a Dwight whose in his prime and is the best C in the league...

the comparesions are ment to go shaq -howard malone - gasol not howard - malone lol

Alayla
09-12-2012, 04:04 PM
Also making the finals is hardly acceptable when a much less talented lakers team won it all 3 years in a row before that so i think the point still stands

Ebbs
09-12-2012, 04:12 PM
100% Cubes is right. I mean they're right their with the Thunder heading into the season but will see what actually happens.

MTar786
09-12-2012, 04:15 PM
i think people should try to understand the chemistry thing here.

payton - mostly a scoring pg that needed the ball at all times. lost his defense and speed too. couldnt slash and was an average shooter
malone was a scorer too.. that was pretty much his thing at that point in his career.

now look at nash.. he's there to control the ball and tempo.. he can shoot and can pass better than payton ever could dream of. which is very complimentary to kobe, gasol and dwight.. even ron

then we got dwight.. who is mainly there for toughness, rebounding and defense.

we have pau for low post scoring.

kobe is still our primary scorer.

this team really compliments eachother.

04 lakers REALLY didnt compliment eachother basketball wise. especially because of how badly payton started to decline just before the playoffs started and malone being injured.. no russel or grant.. and kobe wasnt all there with his case. not to mention the shaq and kobe crap

MTar786
09-12-2012, 04:16 PM
i think people should try to understand the chemistry thing here.

payton - mostly a scoring pg that needed the ball at all times. lost his defense and speed too. couldnt slash and was an average shooter
malone was a scorer too.. that was pretty much his thing at that point in his career.

now look at nash.. he's there to control the ball and tempo.. he can shoot and can pass better than payton ever could dream of. which is very complimentary to kobe, gasol and dwight.. even ron

then we got dwight.. who is mainly there for toughness, rebounding and defense.

we have pau for low post scoring.

kobe is still our primary scorer.

this team really compliments eachother.

04 lakers REALLY didnt compliment eachother basketball wise. especially because of how badly payton started to decline just before the playoffs started and malone being injured.. no russel or grant.. and kobe wasnt all there with his case. not to mention the shaq and kobe crap

Hawkeye15
09-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Technically he is right, but Payton was 35 and not as effective as Nash, and Malone was freakin 40. On top of that, the chemistry between Shaq and Kobe had died. He is right, technically, that games are not played on paper, but I think it will be a bit different this time around. Outside Kobe, who has matured to some degree, you don't have a bunch of me-firsts with Nash, Gasol, and Dwight.

jerellh528
09-12-2012, 04:28 PM
someone is bitter

WAYNEBO
09-12-2012, 04:29 PM
HOMER HOF: Cuban > DoMeFavors

49erGiantLaker
09-12-2012, 04:40 PM
He mad.

Aleksandar
09-12-2012, 05:22 PM
I'm starting to dislike Mark Cuban heavily... First comments about how Dallas is better off without Deron, and now a hit on Howard's new team?

heyman321
09-12-2012, 05:32 PM
Pretty sad to see Cuban still holding onto the one year that they eliminated the Lakers. Interesting to see that the Lakers never re-hash the countless times they booted Dallas out of the playoffs on their way to 16 world championships.

The Lakers had never faced the Mavs in the playoffs before that year, in the Cuban era, at least, so your point is completely moot.

29$JerZ
09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
Cuban would think the opposite if his plan had worked and he nabbed both Deron and Dwight.

kenzo400
09-12-2012, 06:15 PM
Double post

kenzo400
09-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Technically he is right, but Payton was 35 and not as effective as Nash, and Malone was freakin 40. On top of that, the chemistry between Shaq and Kobe had died. He is right, technically, that games are not played on paper, but I think it will be a bit different this time around. Outside Kobe, who has matured to some degree, you don't have a bunch of me-firsts with Nash, Gasol, and Dwight.

If you look at the statistics the year before, it is actually a very good comparison. Payton was actually younger than Nash and Malone was a 20 and 8 guy. They still had the best center in the league with Shaq and Kobe was younger. On paper that team was just as good if not better than the one they have now.

Losoway
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM

payton at 35 had a better season then a young nash at the time .

look at the stats before he came to the lakers . he was still TOP

Losoway
09-12-2012, 06:27 PM
If you look at the statistics the year before, it is actually a very good comparison. Payton was actually younger than Nash and Malone was a 20 and 8 guy. They still had the best center in the league with Shaq and Kobe was younger. On paper that team was just as good if not better than the one they have now.

very true

payton was a 20/8 guy and so was karl malone

add that with shaq and kobe ...

the problem with that laker squad was that they all hated kobe and his ego

Avenged
09-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Blah blah blah. He can think whatever he wants about this team or any team. I don't know why some of you get so worked up over someones opinion. I mean, after all, this is Cuban we're talking about here. Dude always has something to say.

Gritz
09-12-2012, 06:35 PM
lol

C-Style
09-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I don't think Cuban meant to compare Dwight to Malone, He compared both teams as far as talent goes(Shaq=Dwight, Malone=Gasol, Payton=Nash & Kobe). Quick points:

Payton was neutralized by the type of offense been ran and the fact he was a 4th option, I think Nash fits a lot better in this team possibly even 04 Lakers regardless of who was better. 13,10,4 on 50,90,40 is still great. It's not about who was better, it's about who fits in better & Nash fits in better with this Lakers than the Glove would.

Malone was great for Lakers... was putting up great numbers for a 3rd option, Until he got injured and could not play in the Finals, even though he tried like a trooper.

Last, Lakers were not given a 2nd chance like the Heat were. That Laker team did great for a year being together regardless of the crazy tribulations. This Lakers team will have about a good 3 years to win 1.

C-Style
09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
very true

payton was a 20/8 guy and so was karl malone

add that with shaq and kobe ...

the problem with that laker squad was that they all hated kobe and his ego

Boy, you have no trolling skills

Iron24th
09-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Not the same at all imo. More like the Pau trade. That's the thing to remember - it was Payton and Malone's last grasp for a championship (signing for minimums) and it actually was going fairly well until the playoffs.

Cuban is a guy who is always going to spin things. Nice try, but Dwight doesn't want Dallas.

Until the Finals.

They did a pretty good job the previous 3 rounds.

Lakersfan2483
09-12-2012, 06:55 PM
Not a good comparison at all.....Two completely diff. seasons. This team is much diff. than the 04 Lakers. Obviously the 03-4 team went to the finals, but that year was filled with turmoil with the Eagle Colorado incident, the Shaq/Kobe beef, Malone and Payton never fitting in the triangle, the lakers lacking depth on the bench....... This '12' team is deeper and I actually believe they will have better chemistry together and want to play with one another.

The Lakers have the best frontcourt in the NBA with the addition of Howard and Jamison. They also have some guy named Pau Gasol, who is pretty good also......

RaiderLakersA's
09-12-2012, 07:19 PM

This is where system matters. Even all star talent can only take you so far.

Payton was clueless in the Triangle. Completely. Utterly. Embarrassingly. Clueless. He was all Glove and no grip.

The fact that Phil Jackson kept increasing Derek Fisher's minutes as the season progressed is the true tale of the tape as far as PG play goes that season.

If you were to put the current Lakers roster in the Phil Jackson Triangle they would beat the Lakers of young Kobe, Prime Shaq, Old Man Malone, and the befuddled GP. It would be close, but the current Lakers on paper bring more to the table.

Hell, it would be fun just to see Old Kobe of the 5 Rings, smack around Young Kobe of the 3. "Son, you've got a lot to learn...and I'm about to learn ya!!!!" (And then whisper in his ear, yeah, you get 2 more rings when the Big "I Only Rehab on Company Time" leaves.) :)

Lake_Show2416
09-12-2012, 07:47 PM
Payton didnt know how to run the triangle to save his life

Another difference with Payton & Steve Nash

Nash = Efficient Stats

53% from the field with for a guard!!! 39% from 3 & nearly 11 assists, its not even close

Mark Cuban & PSD's Net Trolls r MAD..... :laugh2:

SteBO
09-12-2012, 07:51 PM
Mark Cuban is actually 100% right here in a sense, but he makes it sound like the Lakers haven't had success. Not only that, but Gary Payton is not old Steve Nash. Payton was never as efficient......

shep33
09-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Payton was done by the playoffs. He hit a wall due to his age and was never the same player after that. In the Finals he averaged 4 points and 4 assists on 32% shooting.

Malone was badly injured and in the last year of his career while only playing half the season.

Shaq began his decline, and was severely overweight that season.

Kobe was an idiot, had his trial, never was in his normal basketball shape.

Oh and those Lakers had probably the worst bench in the NBA.

2012 Lakers:

Dwight is probably the 2nd or 3rd best player in the league, still in his prime

Kobe is still a top 2 SG

Nash's efficiency is off the charts, although his age does worry me

Pau is only 32, unlike Malone who was 40.

LAL's bench this year is much better than the one we had in 2003. Fisher as a backup on that 2003 team, probably had his worst year ever, and our two best bench players were Devean George + Slave Medvedenko. Rick Fox was in his last year and had gotten injured (only played 38 games).

Two completely different teams.

ink
09-12-2012, 07:57 PM

Also the Lakers that year were completely embroiled in Kobe's Colorado trial. That kind of distraction would destroy any team's focus. Plus, people forget that Detroit played a damn good series to win the championship.

I agree with Cuban that championships aren't always made with All Star pickups in the summer. But I think everyone except Howard has their head on pretty straight for the Lakers. They have incredible leadership and talent. I don't think chemistry is going to be such a big issue.

Mind you, Kobe's never played with an All Star calibre PG before. Who knows if he can share the ball.

LakersSaintsLSU
09-12-2012, 07:57 PM
troll???

Payton stats before lakers in 2002 PPG - 19.8 APG - 7.6 SPG- 1.8 (AND HE ONLY PLAYED 28 GAMES THIS YEAR ...you dont even wanna know his stats from the year before)
STEVE NASH IN 2002 PPG 17.7 APG - 7.4

Ill sum this up for you guys who seem to lose any ounce of common sense when it involve's talking about L.A. We NEED nash for what he does,Great shooter,GREAT passer can run the offense off his skill and knowledge alone. WE DID NOT NEED payton on our team derek fisher at the one was fine to me in the triangle that is.Last year in the okc series if nash has the ball in his hands,along with howard down low it would be a whole different ball game....And DWIGHT 3 time defensive player of the year would HAVE DESTROYED javale mcgee on both ends along with that max deal he earned off bynum "loafing" around. WE laker fans WATCH every game so WE know what WE need more then you guys who DON'T want to see us win.We need a guy who can run the offense and let kobe sit back and not dribble the ball for the whole possession and force shots,it will allow kobe to finally be a TRUE SG and howard downlow spells "GET THAT SHEET OUT OF HERE" no more penetrating and getting easy lay-ups.so please stop making assumptions and just see what happens because you guys really sound as crazy as cuban by comparing what nash and dwight can do for this team to what payton and malone did

AWC713
09-12-2012, 08:17 PM

completely agree. though i dont like the lakers, these comparions are beyond dumb.

steve nash is way better than payton at this point in their careers, and dwight and malone isnt a close comparison (at the point in their careers when they're set to play for the lakers)

JDMVP
09-12-2012, 08:27 PM
What I dont get here is, why is everyone still think that KOBE is the same ol KOBE back in 04? I mean obviously the guy has matured through the years and also learned how to win a championship TEAM wise.

When people compare this team to 04, its really funny!
The only same thing from 04 and this current LAKER team is we have a bunch of all stars but heres the obvious difference which Mark Cuban did not see or dosent want to admit at all.

Karl Malone and Gary Payton were not playing like all stars anymore!
Karl Malone was obviously in his last year of his career although before the injury he was producing MAILMAN numbers it wasent just prime Karl Malone!

Dwight Howard on the other hand is in his prime and like what many of you people are saying is obviously the BEST CENTER in the league today.

Gary Payton had pretty much the same situation with Karl Malone. What people also forget is Gary Payton had try to learn the triangle offense in one year were in it takes years to learn the system just ask Lamar Odom.

Steve Nash, is old and sure I would admit Payton was still the better defender at that time. Nashs situation though, he dosent have to learn the triangle, he dosent even need to run Mike Browns offense if there is even one. He basically has the freedom to do whatever he wants on the court.

I understand the hate but come on fellas lets not be DUMB when the obvious cases and answers are there to see about this current Laker team, OK?

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2012, 08:42 PM
I think everybody agrees with Mark Cuban in terms of the chemistry. The Lakers are the best team on paper.... but they were also the best team on paper when they picked up Malone and Payton to go with Shaq and Kobe. Cuban seems to forget that the Lakers made it to the finals with that roster and had Karl Malone not been injured for the finals they likely would have won that seires. That team was also only four deep. They had no bench, and this Lakers roster does have a bench.

But Cuban is right. The team looks good on paper, but everybody and their dog knows that Kobe and Dwight both have big egos and both need to be appeased. There is a huge potential probelm there. If the Lakers can work that out, they are unstoppable. If not.... they will not be winning a title.

That said... Cuban's Mavs have had an awful summer for two straight seasons. Though he's right about potential chemistry issues, he should be more concerned with his team's offseason than the Lakers.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-12-2012, 08:52 PM
I think everybody agrees with Mark Cuban in terms of the chemistry. The Lakers are the best team on paper.... but they were also the best team on paper when they picked up Malone and Payton to go with Shaq and Kobe. Cuban seems to forget that the Lakers made it to the finals with that roster and had Karl Malone not been injured for the finals they likely would have won that seires. That team was also only four deep. They had no bench, and this Lakers roster does have a bench.

But Cuban is right. The team looks good on paper, but everybody and their dog knows that Kobe and Dwight both have big egos and both need to be appeased. There is a huge potential probelm there. If the Lakers can work that out, they are unstoppable. If not.... they will not be winning a title.

That said... Cuban's Mavs have had an awful summer for two straight seasons. Though he's right about potential chemistry issues, he should be more concerned with his team's offseason than the Lakers.

young afro Kobe and Shaq, 3 titles in 4 finals appearances, had much much much much much more egos than Dwight and the Kobe of today.

SteBO
09-12-2012, 09:00 PM

young afro Kobe and Shaq, 3 titles in 4 finals appearances, had much much much much much more egos than Dwight and the Kobe of today.
Too add to this, the Kobe/Shaq fued didn't really happen until "after" titles were won anyway.

Kobe is egotistical, but I know for sure hes aware of what he can/can't do, and the impact Dwight can have if he's heavily involved in the offense; Nash obviously being the head of the snake in terms of running the show. Every star player has an ego, so to try and diminish the possibilities for LA because of it is kinda silly. Especially if you're going to try and compare an old *** Gary Payton to Steve Nash of today :laugh2:

Again, Cuban isn't wrong. But what he's trying to insinuate is kinda short sighted.

LakersSaintsLSU
09-12-2012, 09:23 PM
Too add to this, the Kobe/Shaq fued didn't really happen until "after" titles were won anyway.

Kobe is egotistical, but I know for sure hes aware of what he can/can't do, and the impact Dwight can have if he's heavily involved in the offense; Nash obviously being the head of the snake in terms of running the show. Every star player has an ego, so to try and diminish the possibilities for LA because of it is kinda silly. Especially if you're going to try and compare an old *** Gary Payton to Steve Nash of today :laugh2:

Again, Cuban isn't wrong. But what he's trying to insinuate is kinda short sighted.

Heat fans.......:facepalm:

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-12-2012, 09:25 PM
Heat fans.......:facepalm:

I think you misunderstood what SteBo was trying to say. He's actually scoffing at what Cuban is saying in terms of comparing the 2 Lakers teams of 04 and 2013.

SteBO
09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I think you misunderstood what SteBo was trying to say. He's actually scoffing at what Cuban is saying in terms of comparing the 2 Lakers teams of 04 and 2013.
Thank you. You saved me some typing.....

Losoway
09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
What I dont get here is, why is everyone still think that KOBE is the same ol KOBE back in 04? I mean obviously the guy has matured through the years and also learned how to win a championship TEAM wise.

:facepalm::facepalm: very false...kobe hasnt matured. its been games last year where andrew bynum was going for 11-11 and wouldnt even get to touch the ball due to kobe 4th quarter hero attempts

Losoway
09-12-2012, 09:37 PM
steve nash needs the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time to be effective...the real queestion is can kobe adjust and become a catch and shoot type player rather then iso hero ball he is used to playing

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
:facepalm::facepalm: very false...kobe hasnt matured. its been games last year where andrew bynum was going for 11-11 and wouldnt even get to touch the ball due to kobe 4th quarter hero attempts

steve nash needs the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time to be effective...the real queestion is can kobe adjust and become a catch and shoot type player rather then iso hero ball he is used to playing
then don't watch.

LakersSaintsLSU
09-12-2012, 09:44 PM

Ill give you that.kobe is my man but he did go away from bynum when he was hot just to win the game by his self when he didnt need to,but at the same time this is what makes kobe if those shots go in we love him and we wouldnt be talking about this but since he didnt well u know....

LakersSaintsLSU
09-12-2012, 09:49 PM

Ill take it back for YOU big dog...my bad

championships
09-12-2012, 10:03 PM
Cuban is just mad his team will struggle to make the playoffs this season.

championships
09-12-2012, 10:14 PM

I think you're just talking out of your *** in this thread. Laker fans know a lot more about that team than other fans. A lot of us watched all the games, not just highlights and stats.

You're trying to tell us to look at his stats BEFORE he came to the Lakers?! Give me a break!!

Payton was horrible in the triangle offense. He just could never grasp the concept in his first year.

Malone probably suffered the worse injury of his career that season. Because of injuries, The Lakers were never able to build chemistry and still made it to the finals on talent alone.

I bet they would have won it all the next season(Barring injuries of course)

Losoway
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM
I think you're just talking out of your *** in this thread. Laker fans know a lot more about that team than other fans. A lot of us watched all the games, not just highlights and stats.

You're trying to tell us to look at his stats BEFORE he came to the Lakers?! Give me a break!!

Payton was horrible in the triangle offense. He just could never grasp the concept in his first year.

Malone probably suffered the worse injury of his career that season. Because of injuries, The Lakers were never able to build chemistry and still made it to the finals on talent alone.

I bet they would have won it all the next season(Barring injuries of course)

actually im not .... i agree with mark cuban to a certain degree...dwight is talented enough to make this trade work

but i disagree with people acting like nash at this age was better then payton.

sorry

Leftcoast_yg
09-12-2012, 10:38 PM

Yes 90 percent of the time but not to score but so other can get theirs, he's called a protypical point guard.

Losoway
09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Yes 90 percent of the time but not to score but so other can get theirs, he's called a protypical point guard.

kobes needs the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time also

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

nice sig. im still to this day clueless to what was the point of magics letting dwight howard go for what they got in return

micks4real
09-12-2012, 11:06 PM
its funny how everyone mentions Payton being on the decline in comparison to another 40 yr old lol...yeah, Nash's got his whole career ahead of him lol.

all in all I do agree Nash's style of play will allow for more longevity, but lets not kid our selves with these comparisons, they were both singed by LA at the end of their careers & plus, this' GP we talkin bout here!

Leftcoast_yg
09-12-2012, 11:52 PM
kobes needs the ball in his hands 90 percent of the time also

nice sig. im still to this day clueless to what was the point of magics letting dwight howard go for what they got in return

Let me make this more clear, Kobe was the one who initiated the offense because Lakers didn't have a playmaker so he would play that role eventhough it didn't seem like it most of the time because he is 1st a scorer. As for Nash he is a playmaker 1st therefore no need for kobe to do that anymore, and kobe is a great off the ball player as we laker fans seen when the triangle was being used, end of discussion.

jerellh528
09-13-2012, 12:03 AM

better by points maybe, but payton has never been the playmaker nash is. Thats all we need out of nash who is miles ahead of payton in that category..

Losoway
09-13-2012, 01:51 AM
better by points maybe, but payton has never been the playmaker nash is. Thats all we need out of nash who is miles ahead of payton in that category..

doesnt matter...payton offense and defense made up for that

and he still got 9+ assist game

shep33
09-13-2012, 02:26 AM
There is some truth to what he's saying, but you can't compare these two teams really in any way.

Amazing how far that Lakers team in 2004 went. If people thought Miami had chemistry issues in year one, this Laker team puts any Finals team that I can remember to shame lol. So many issues on and off the court.

--23--
09-13-2012, 02:29 AM
Cuban is right the Lakers have done this before and won 11 titles(Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Gasol) doing this lol.

As far as comparing this team make-up to the 04' team... It's not the same. Due to the fact that Malone was at the very end of his career and Dwight is in his prime. And I think Nash will play at higher level offensively than 04' Payton.

Kevj77
09-13-2012, 03:56 AM
Obvious troll post, but this is what really killed that particular Lakers team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwmIOKd27aA

Look at how Malone dunked one minute before his injury. He only played 42 games because of that and was never himself after. He was playing on one leg in the playoffs and they still went to the finals.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/m/malonka01.html

Dr Seuss
09-13-2012, 10:03 AM
although this cuban i do despise, his comments they do seem rather wise, it takes one player to break the spell, this cuban is smart unlike fidel

ldawg
09-13-2012, 11:21 AM
Cuban dont know ****. That la team had many issues and went to the finals. Kobe and Shaq had beef, Kobe and Phil got into it him not taking shots to prove a point, Kobe was on trial missing practice, Malone got injured, Payton was not use to the triangle a system the team no longer run. The only problem i see with the Lakers is the sf position sill not athletic enough.

KnickNyKnick
09-13-2012, 11:25 AM
The Lakers started that year off 22-5 or something ridiculous and made it to the finals. Only to get beat by one of the most dominant defensive teams EVER with a hall of fame coach. Plus Malone was hurt. Ok Mark

thats whats gonna happen this year. but the Knicks will be that dominant defensive team :)

LongWayFromHome
09-13-2012, 12:43 PM
You guys shouldn't be comparing the 2 "new guys" now to the 2 "new guys" then.

Here's how it really breaks down

Payton vs Nash
- Payton previous yr (34) was 20/8/4 with 9WS .136 W/48
- Nash prev yr (37) was 14/12/3 with 5.9 WS (in 62 games - 82 games equivalent is 7.8) .144 W/48
Kobe vs Kobe
- Kobe then previous yr (24) 30/6a/7r highest 3% of his career 14.9WS (2nd highest of career) .210 W/48 (2nd highest of career
- Kobe now previous yr (33) 27/4.5a/5.5r 2nd highest USG% of career, lowest TS% and EFG% of career, 3rd lowest FG% (only his first 2 seasons were worse), 3rd lowest 3% (and by far the worst while attempting over 2 a game), 6.2WS in 58 games (82 game Equivelant is 8.8) .132 W/48
George vs Artest - we will call them a wash at this point
Malone vs Pau
- Malone previous yr (39) 20/8/4.7a 7.8FTApg hitting 76%, 11WS .182W/48 27.8USG%
- Pau previous yr (31) 17/10/3.7a 4FTApg hitting 78%, 8.3 WS in 65 games (82 game equivalent is 10.4) .165 W/48 22.1USG%
Shaq vs Dwight
- Shaq previous yr (30) 27/11/3a/2.4b, 10FTApg at 62%(career high percentage), 13.2WS in 67 games (82 game equivalent 16.1) .250W/48
Howard previous yr (26) 20/14.5/2a/2.1b, 10FTApg at 49% (career low percentage, though shaq ended up shooting 49% the actual season) 7.7WS in 54 games (82 game equivalent 11.7) .179W/48

see for yourself how they compare

RaiderLakersA's
09-13-2012, 12:47 PM
You guys shouldn't be comparing the 2 "new guys" now to the 2 "new guys" then.

Here's how it really breaks down

Payton vs Nash
- Payton previous yr (34) was 20/8/4 with 9WS .136 W/48
- Nash prev yr (37) was 14/12/3 with 5.9 WS (in 62 games - 82 games equivalent is 7.8) .144 W/48
Kobe vs Kobe
- Kobe then previous yr (24) 30/6a/7r highest 3% of his career 14.9WS (2nd highest of career) .210 W/48 (2nd highest of career
- Kobe now previous yr (33) 27/4.5a/5.5r 2nd highest USG% of career, lowest TS% and EFG% of career, 3rd lowest FG% (only his first 2 seasons were worse), 3rd lowest 3% (and by far the worst while attempting over 2 a game), 6.2WS in 58 games (82 game Equivelant is 8.8) .132 W/48
George vs Artest - we will call them a wash at this point
Malone vs Pau
- Malone previous yr (39) 20/8/4.7a 7.8FTApg hitting 76%, 11WS .182W/48 27.8USG%
- Pau previous yr (31) 17/10/3.7a 4FTApg hitting 78%, 8.3 WS in 65 games (82 game equivalent is 10.4) .165 W/48 22.1USG%
Shaq vs Dwight
- Shaq previous yr (30) 27/11/3a/2.4b, 10FTApg at 62%(career high percentage), 13.2WS in 67 games (82 game equivalent 16.1) .250W/48
Howard previous yr (26) 20/14.5/2a/2.1b, 10FTApg at 49% (career low percentage, though shaq ended up shooting 49% the actual season) 7.7WS in 54 games (82 game equivalent 11.7) .179W/48

see for yourself how they compare

Stats don't mean a thing. There are way too many variables and too many assumptions to draw any valid comparisons...or valid conclusions.

LongWayFromHome
09-13-2012, 12:56 PM
Stats don't mean a thing. There are way too many variables and too many assumptions to draw any valid comparisons...or valid conclusions.

Stats do mean some. Just not everything. People are arguing that Payton and Malone were worse than Nash and Howard are. I am saying that many of those stats are far more impressive from those 4 players going into the 03-04 season than these guys have been. So this Lakers team (on paper) isnt vastly superior to the 03-04 team (on paper).

understand context bro.

Losoway
09-13-2012, 01:49 PM
Stats do mean some. Just not everything. People are arguing that Payton and Malone were worse than Nash and Howard are. I am saying that many of those stats are far more impressive from those 4 players going into the 03-04 season than these guys have been. So this Lakers team (on paper) isnt vastly superior to the 03-04 team (on paper).

understand context bro.

my point exactly... stats show that payton was in fact better then nash at that point in age

Hawkeye15
09-13-2012, 02:56 PM

That team was for sure better on paper. More depth, better coach alone make it better. That being said, I simply pointed out that technically, he is right, but I am not buying that the exact same thing will happen. Injuries to one of them, and chemistry dying as the year goes on.

ink
09-13-2012, 02:59 PM
That team was for sure better on paper. More depth, better coach alone make it better. That being said, I simply pointed out that technically, he is right, but I am not buying that the exact same thing will happen. Injuries to one of them, and chemistry dying as the year goes on.

Can't believe people aren't factoring in Kobe's trial in 2004 as the major distraction it was. It blew the team wide open or at least wore them down over the length of the season to the point where they were badly underachieving. A rape trial is probably not the best thing for team chemistry!

ldawg
09-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Can't believe people aren't factoring in Kobe's trial in 2004 as the major distraction it was. It blew the team wide open or at least wore them down over the length of the season to the point where they were badly underachieving. A rape trial is probably not the best thing for team chemistry!bingo someone is thinking. I point this out already but as usual people over look logic. Maybe they are just hating. That la team had many issues and went to the finals. Kobe and Shaq had beef, Kobe and Phil got into it him not taking shots to prove a point, Kobe was on trial missing practice, Malone got injured, Payton was not use to the triangle a system the team no longer run. In 2004 that team when far given all they had been true. Did Shaq not miss the first few games too? No way that team could have have form chemistry.

Byronicle
09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
didn't that payton-kobe-malone-shaq go all the way to the championships and lost to the pistons?

chemistry won't be a problem with this LA squad because they got pass first Steve Nash who facilitates chemistry on the offensive end

and they got Howard, who does not need the ball to be effective. he cleans up the garbage

Payton and Malone are scoring players who play defense but that team needed a facilitator to make that team work, and a young Kobe proved he couldn't do that. That team did not have Steve Nash

ink
09-13-2012, 05:34 PM
bingo someone is thinking. I point this out already but as usual people over look logic. Maybe they are just hating. That la team had many issues and went to the finals. Kobe and Shaq had beef, Kobe and Phil got into it him not taking shots to prove a point, Kobe was on trial missing practice, Malone got injured, Payton was not use to the triangle a system the team no longer run. In 2004 that team when far given all they had been true. Did Shaq not miss the first few games too? No way that team could have have form chemistry.

Exactly. Basically that was just a brutal year for Lakers basketball. Brutal. They had a great team but the situation was impossible. Yet they still got to the finals. That says a lot about how much talent they had. IMO it says NOTHING about basketball chemistry and says EVERYTHING about lack of personal, off-the-court chemistry. Those issues just do not exist for this Lakers lineup. And as Byronicle says, Nash is the human chemistry maker, being this generation's most prolific facilitator. He's also a very good leader in the locker room if Kobe has mellowed enough to let someone else lead as well. Wasn't that exactly what their pre-signing phone call was supposed to be about? Establishing whether they could work together? Afraid to say it but this Lakers team is going to be very good, age and health not being an issue. I like their balance better than any team I've seen since the 2008 Celtics.

Vinylman
09-13-2012, 05:46 PM
understand context bro.

understand that you don't know what you are talking about...

look at the benches... it isn't even close ... let alone the 5th starter...

but hey... keep acting like you know what you are talking about

Gibby23
09-13-2012, 05:51 PM
I don't care what the stats were the season before they came to the Lakers. GP fell off once he got here and sucked after he left. Nash isn't going to fall off like that. Malone was good but he wasn't D12. Also, that team went to the Finals and Malone got hurt and GP sucked.

Hawkeye15
09-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Can't believe people aren't factoring in Kobe's trial in 2004 as the major distraction it was. It blew the team wide open or at least wore them down over the length of the season to the point where they were badly underachieving. A rape trial is probably not the best thing for team chemistry!

all sorts of factors, that being one. The Kobe/Shaq rift had a huge impact as well.

Gibby23
09-13-2012, 06:13 PM
Cuban is dumb, he tried to do the same thing and failed. D Will didn't want to go there and now he has a bunch of 1 year deals in place to try and land CP# or Howard and I don't think he will get them either. If he strikes out next year again can Buss make a statement saying :

"We saw the Mavs do this before and they were not able to land a star player, we will see hoe it works out, when we won all those championships, we were always able to bring a star player over via free agencey or trade."

ink
09-13-2012, 06:34 PM
all sorts of factors, that being one. The Kobe/Shaq rift had a huge impact as well.

The trial also opened that rift even wider. Do you remember how Kobe was flying from games everywhere to make appearances in Colorado? That kind of stuff doesn't go unnoticed. Not to mention that Shaq is not exactly Mr. Subtle and there was a ton of judgement going down. Kobe was public enemy number one, deservedly, I think, and the whole dressing room must have been poisonous. Malone must have wondered WTF was happening. He spends his whole career in Mormon Utah where you can't even drink a coke without being condemned, then moves to LA where his cocky teammate is on trial for rape and missing practices and flights all over the place.

Hawkeye15
09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
The trial also opened that rift even wider. Do you remember how Kobe was flying from games everywhere to make appearances in Colorado? That kind of stuff doesn't go unnoticed. Not to mention that Shaq is not exactly Mr. Subtle and there was a ton of judgement going down. Kobe was public enemy number one, deservedly, I think, and the whole dressing room must have been poisonous. Malone must have wondered WTF was happening. He spends his whole career in Mormon Utah where you can't even drink a coke without being condemned, then moves to LA where his cocky teammate is on trial for rape and missing practices and flights all over the place.

Not disagreeing, and as I said, Cuban may technically be right, but that year was a different circumstance. I will say, it will be interesting to see what kind of chemistry is formed, how quickly, and if Mike Brown just gives the reigns to Nash offensively, as he should.

The goods
09-13-2012, 07:13 PM
didn't that payton-kobe-malone-shaq go all the way to the championships and lost to the pistons?

chemistry won't be a problem with this LA squad because they got pass first Steve Nash who facilitates chemistry on the offensive end

and they got Howard, who does not need the ball to be effective. he cleans up the garbage

Payton and Malone are scoring players who play defense but that team needed a facilitator to make that team work, and a young Kobe proved he couldn't do that. That team did not have Steve Nash

Great point its not all about point scoring we have a facilitator, and all around scorer, a skilled lost player, and a defensive anchor all great pieces that complement each other...... On paper atleast.

Losoway
09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

so what happens when dwight starts complaining about not getting enough touches ??

ink
09-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Not disagreeing, and as I said, Cuban may technically be right, but that year was a different circumstance. I will say, it will be interesting to see what kind of chemistry is formed, how quickly, and if Mike Brown just gives the reigns to Nash offensively, as he should.

tbh I think Nash will be a better coach on the floor than Brown is on the sidelines.

LongWayFromHome
09-13-2012, 08:54 PM
understand that you don't know what you are talking about...

look at the benches... it isn't even close ... let alone the 5th starter...

but hey... keep acting like you know what you are talking about

:clap:

excellent argument. insulting the person you are arguing with is always worth more points than actually making articulate points.

ee
09-13-2012, 08:58 PM
Lakers will be in the finals barring injuries....

TheSource
09-13-2012, 09:13 PM
A player (especially of Dwight's caliber) not getting enough touches with Nash running the offense? Blasphemy.

Losoway
09-13-2012, 09:19 PM
A player (especially of Dwight's caliber) not getting enough touches with Nash running the offense? Blasphemy.

kobe

TheSource
09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
kobe

So Kobe's going to be holding the ball more than Nash? :facepalm:

Point guards as great as Nash have learned to say no to players when there's a better option somewhere else. If Howard's open or has a miss-match, Nash is obviously going to feed him the ball.

Kobe and Nash have way to much basketball IQ to have problems such as that.

ClearSoulForce
09-13-2012, 09:35 PM
What did he say that was wrong?

2004 Payton was just as good as Nash and he was still a top notch defender.

2004 Kobe was better than 2012 Kobe. I'd like to see anyone argue that.

Gasol is better than Malone was but 2004 Malone was still a very good player.

2004 Shaq is >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight and it isn't close.

And they fell short. Nash is 40 and plays no defense, Kobe is getting more and more inefficient, and Mike Brown is the head coach.

Plus there is a team named Miami with LeBron, Wade and Bosh who added Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. All they have to do is stand along the 3 pt line and they have wide open shots.

last stand
09-13-2012, 09:37 PM
anyone who agrees with cuban on this doesn't know a thing about basketball

TheSource
09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
What did he say that was wrong?

2004 Payton was just as good as Nash and he was still a top notch defender.

2004 Kobe was better than 2012 Kobe. I'd like to see anyone argue that.

Gasol is better than Malone was but 2004 Malone was still a very good player.

2004 Shaq is >>>>>>>>>>>>> Dwight and it isn't close.

And they fell short. Nash is 40 and plays no defense, Kobe is getting more and more inefficient, and Mike Brown is the head coach.

Plus there is a team named Miami with LeBron, Wade and Bosh who added Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis. All they have to do is stand along the 3 pt line and they have wide open shots.

Payton might have been better than Nash at these 2 points of their careers but they're two different players, and two different point guards.

2004 Kobe was better, but 2012 Kobe is the smartest he's ever been, and he's already learned how to trust his teammates and how to win no matter what role he needs to take.

Gasol is coming off a very impressive performance and is just nearing the end of his prime, and he also has a very different personality than Malone, as far as ego goes.

2004 Shaq was out of shape and not at his best (even though still very good), and that played a part in the Lakers not being able to pull through with the championship.

The Lakers have Dwight and Pau to protect the paint and 2 very good perimeter defenders in Metta and Kobe, I don't see Lewis and Allen being that much of a factor, especially in this stage of their careers.

micks4real
09-14-2012, 01:44 PM
LOL the word chemistry gets thrown around so much! that LA team had 4 hall of famers & 2 of them were hands down the best players in the league at the time.

Losoway
09-15-2012, 04:24 AM
LOL the word chemistry gets thrown around so much! that LA team had 4 hall of famers & 2 of them were hands down the best players in the league at the time.

we shall see

IIISSKiLL
09-15-2012, 05:09 AM
Why is everyone comparing old Malone to prime Howard ? Shouldn't we be comparing prime Shaq to prime Howard ? old Malone to old Gasol ? Prime Kobe vs old Kobe ? Old Glove vs old Nash ? Lakers bench at the time to Lakers current bench ? I think the Lakers are going to the finals and if they can't make it Stern will make sure it gets done.. no doubt this team is going to be a force for the next 3 years but at least compare the right players don't throw dirt on one of the greatest power forwards that has ever played the game

IIISSKiLL
09-15-2012, 05:11 AM
sorry i only read the first page

Vidball
09-15-2012, 10:00 AM
Why is everyone comparing old Malone to prime Howard ? Shouldn't we be comparing prime Shaq to prime Howard ? old Malone to old Gasol ? Prime Kobe vs old Kobe ? Old Glove vs old Nash ? Lakers bench at the time to Lakers current bench ? I think the Lakers are going to the finals and if they can't make it Stern will make sure it gets done.. no doubt this team is going to be a force for the next 3 years but at least compare the right players don't throw dirt on one of the greatest power forwards that has ever played the game

2004 Shaq was 400 pound Shaq...not prime Shaq. Old Malone didn't exist because he was injured for the second half of the season and barely useable during the playoffs - he was a liability on Defense. Payton would have been great but he never had full reigns of the offense and got lost in the triangle. 2004 Kobe was great but with Malone injured, Shaq not making it down the court on half the plas, and Payton lost in the offense, Kobe tried to do too much and it only worked well enough to get to the Finals. Did anybody here actually watch the 2004 season? This thread is ridiculous.

Sly Guy
09-15-2012, 12:38 PM
steve nash is chemistry in a bottle. Dude is always well liked by his teammates, and that's a good thing when he's the guy with the ball in his hands more often than not.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-15-2012, 01:28 PM
kobe

losoway

Do you happen to be a dupe of Cfrey or something? :eyebrow:

JordansBulls
09-17-2012, 08:17 PM

discuss

Depends on Dwight really.

Losoway
09-17-2012, 10:32 PM
Depends on Dwight really.

its not dwight team . its kobe team

showtym24
09-17-2012, 10:36 PM
Something tells me hes gonna be extra mad on 10/30.