PDA

View Full Version : Greg Oden to Magic?

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 01:45 PM
With the NBA off-season nearly over the trade and free agents signings have slowed to a crawl. The Orlando Magic are one of the few teams still looking to make changes, but most involve veteran players that could be used in trades later in the year.

The latest rumor, however, has the Magic showing some interest in center Greg Oden. The youngster was the top overall pick in the league back in 2007, but injuries cut his career short and he actually retired from basketball, but the seven-footer is looking to play again, and the Magic could land the big man.

The 24 year-old averaged over 9 points and grabbed over seven rebounds in his short career, but he missed more games than he played in his time with Portland. Oden is looking to resurrect his career sometime in the next 12 months, according to a recent interview with reporter David Hughes.

Orlando needs to generate some buzz among its fans as the team really didn't get enough in return for Dwight Howard this summer, and adding Oden would not only help the youngster, it would also be a great NBA story with some positives heading the Magic's way.

http://sports.gather.com/viewArticle.action?articleId=281474981626487

SteBO
09-12-2012, 01:51 PM
Miami has shown interest in Oden as well, but last I heard about him was a couple months ago. Oden really does want to come back and play again, and which ever team takes the chance on him has an opportunity score a jackpot. If he were to get hurt again, you could just cut him. No lose situation if you aren't putting all your eggs in that basket.......

mgsports
09-12-2012, 01:54 PM
If he could start in Orlando then yes.

Bruno
09-12-2012, 02:00 PM
he'll miss all of 2013. he might come back for 2014. ive read this several different places.

zB_#85
09-12-2012, 02:05 PM
who needs Dwight when Oden is available. :laugh2:

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2012, 02:11 PM
I just hope Oden can come back healthy and reach his full potential.

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Perfect gamble for the Heat imo. If he just plays at least 50 games plus is pretty much healthy for the playoffs, thats a win for them

Antipod
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM
I gave up on Oden when i read that he`ll miss the entire 2013 season. Time to move on.

JNoel
09-12-2012, 02:17 PM
This is news from like a month ago.

He won't make a difference for this season, he'll most likely sit it out.

Raps18-19 Champ
09-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Imagine if he ends up being injury free the rest of his career. That would be a great pickup for the Magic.

xxplayerxx23
09-12-2012, 03:06 PM
No risk at all, Magic are obviously rebuilding, could hit the lotto with this guy, if he stays healthy he can be a stud. Worth it for the Magic to sign him.

Losoway
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
this is terrible

justinnum1
09-12-2012, 03:08 PM
If he goes anywhere its miami imo. but i read that he wont be ready this season.

king4day
09-12-2012, 03:24 PM
It would be some story if he went to Orlando and returned to health. Then led them to a title. I would love to see that story.

That said, Phoenix and its medical staff seem to make sense. He can backup Gortat initially and potentially take over if he can remain healthy.
Dry heat also leads to less/no arthritis.

mdm692
09-12-2012, 04:11 PM
For what so he can be great and just when you think the Magic are about to win a championship with an elite C he ends up in a Lakers uniform? For that?

koreancabbage
09-12-2012, 04:42 PM
he needs to go to a championship calibre to play backup mins. He needs that to sustain a career in the NBA. not go to the Magic and overwork that knee and be screwed in one season. ofc championship teams need a serviceable big when needed, not an injury prone big man.

todu82
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
If healthy, this could be a great signing for the Magic. Imagine the great story it would be if he could become injury free after signing in Orlando or anywhere else for that matter.

SirSkyHook
09-12-2012, 05:17 PM
For what so he can be great and just when you think the Magic are about to win a championship with an elite C he ends up in a Lakers uniform? For that?

lol. I'm still hoping Kobe and Howard works out better than Shaq and Kobe, and they get a ring. Howard resigns, than All the Lakers need to do is steal Westy from OKC when KB retires. Than Phil will come back and can you say threepeat!

SirSkyHook
09-12-2012, 05:19 PM
Greg should be a back up big wherever he goes to extend his career. Anything else, i feel, is damaging. So sad for a guy with so much potential.

Cracka2HI!
09-13-2012, 12:55 AM
Some team should definitely sign him on a 2 year deal. It would most likely have to be a rebuilding team that can waste a roster spot. I could also see the Heat doing it. For Christ's sake could you imagine if they did and he was healthy in 2013-2014!? I sure hope they don't pull it off. It would be a nice story in Orlando, however if panned out history tells us he would leave to the Lakers. No matter what he should stay out all of this season. It isn't worth it for him at 24 not to take an entire season off and see if he can get his knees in shape. He's still young enough to have a great career.

daleja424
09-13-2012, 10:32 AM
meh?

He would probably just become an all-star and then go to LA...

kdspurman
09-13-2012, 11:24 AM
If he goes anywhere its miami imo. but i read that he wont be ready this season.

Yea I don't know about that... The way he plays, what would Miami use him for? If he stays injury free he's a franchise changing player, and he would not get utilized as such there.

koreancabbage
09-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Yea I don't know about that... The way he plays, what would Miami use him for? If he stays injury free he's a franchise changing player, and he would not get utilized as such there.

thats a HUGE if. If he wants to be productive in an NBA career right now, he needs limited minutes, maybe tops 15 minutes.

Best thing for him is to become part of a super bench for one of the championship contenders (Miami, OKC, Bulls with Rose?, LA) and become an integral part of the bench and win with them to get his rings.

I do not believe his knees can handle starter minutes over a course of a season.

kdspurman
09-13-2012, 11:35 AM
thats a HUGE if. If he wants to be productive in an NBA career right now, he needs limited minutes, maybe tops 15 minutes.

Best thing for him is to become part of a super bench for one of the championship contenders (Miami, OKC, Bulls with Rose?, LA) and become an integral part of the bench and win with them to get his rings.

I do not believe his knees can handle starter minutes over a course of a season.

Definitely a huge if, totally agree. But he is sitting out all of next season, I mean who knows what could happen.

Personally, I think going to somewhere like Phoenix after seeing their training staff and how good they are would make sense.

Dr Seuss
09-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Poor greg oden a tale so tragic, he'll fit right in with the orlando magic

koreancabbage
09-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Definitely a huge if, totally agree. But he is sitting out all of next season, I mean who knows what could happen.

Personally, I think going to somewhere like Phoenix after seeing their training staff and how good they are would make sense.

funny thing is that DeJuan Blair, who has no knee cartilage could have a better NBA career than Oden, who just has ailing knees period.

Of course Oden wants starter minutes and the money of a starter as an NBA starting all-star calibre centre but he isn't going to last a whole season anymore even if he rests a whole season out, let alone be in the NBA. I'm no expert but that serious of a knee problem gives me doubts and being in lack of game shape is going make a scary project if you need him to be a starter.

kdspurman
09-13-2012, 12:01 PM
funny thing is that DeJuan Blair, who has no knee cartilage could have a better NBA career than Oden, who just has ailing knees period.

Of course Oden wants starter minutes and the money of a starter as an NBA starting all-star calibre centre but he isn't going to last a whole season anymore even if he rests a whole season out, let alone be in the NBA. I'm no expert but that serious of a knee problem gives me doubts and being in lack of game shape is going make a scary project if you need him to be a starter.

That's pretty crazy, I still can't believe Blair has been this durable thus far.

But I don't think he'd start off as a starter, but having this much time off already, plus next year off, then I'd assume ease him into the rotation, maybe he can get back to at least getting starter type minutes in 2-3 years.

Regardless, I think he's a low risk high reward player and if he wants to get paid down the line after he's proved he can stay healthy then more power to him.

slickback24
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Its a beautiful fairy tale that Oden comes back and leads us to victory, but im not to sure it will happen. Even Oden wants to make sure hes completely healthy and the doctor says its ok b4 he come back to the NBA. Do I believe hes capable of putting up a double double when/if he comes back? Yes, but he did have three season ending injuries in different places. Thats a lot to come back from, I just wish him luck.

Dr Seuss
09-13-2012, 12:55 PM
poor greg oden no doc can cure, and much injury he did endure, but there is one thing that is for sure, a little magic will be the cure

MrfadeawayJB
09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I hope he makes a comeback. Injuries suck

JNA17
09-13-2012, 01:21 PM
It's a lose lose for the Magic though.

If he ends up not playing again or keeps ending up being a bust, then lose.

If he ends up being great somehow, Oden will just end up on the lakers eventually.

Stinkyoutsider
09-13-2012, 01:36 PM
I think most teams should be looking at Oden as a low risk, high reward option. Sign him to a contract with clauses for injuries and make sure you have insurance to pay his contract. Vets minimum of course...

If I was Oden, playing NBA basketball would be furthest from my mind right now. He needs to focus on getting his knees stronger. If he can do this, everything else will take care of itself. He's a talented player who can lock down the paint and there will be teams calling for him when he gets healthy. His name is already popular and sponsors will like to have a guy with his personality represent them.

Just get healthy and strong first...