PDA

View Full Version : where would a prime Vlade Divac rank amongst NBA centers today?

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 01:42 PM
Just Curious. Vlade was never a superstar in the league, but then again he played in the era when great centers still were on the court, and held his own. Where do you think he would rate today if you had to compare? I say at least top 7 in the league, maybe top 5 among centers.

Swashcuff
09-12-2012, 01:52 PM
#3 behind Howard and Bynum

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 02:13 PM
I had him 5 behind the 2 you mentioned, chandler, and lopez. And slighty above Hibbert

NYKnickFanatic
09-12-2012, 02:15 PM

This.

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM
He'd be top five in this league for sure.

Chronz
09-12-2012, 02:29 PM
He would not be better than Tyson Chandler or Marc Gasol. There are alot of comparable centers nowadays.

Duncan and KG were better centers than peak Divac last year IMO.

3RDASYSTEM
09-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Probably would be somewhere overrated like the dude he got traded for, a 'PRIME' DIVAC for a 'PRIME' KB8....fair trade right? hed be top 3 based on 'making his teammates better' effect because of his incredible passing/IQ right? he'd give HOWARD/BYNUM a serious run since he did get traded for the 'greatest player of this era' right,that backupguard turned allstar?

You guys throw that **** word PRIME out like VLADE just did so much more in his first 2yrs than he did in his glorifired 'PRIME'/best/later yrs he was who he was from day1, a 9-12ppg scorer and prob had a career high of around 15-16ppg and got traded for a scorer who had to wait to enter his PRIME also before people could figure out how good he is or was going to be

how good were SCOTT WILLIAMS,LUC LONGLEY(2-3rings),WILL PURDUE(5rings) in there respective PRIMES? nevermind

you guys amaze me on here on trying to overrate a player by throwing out the term 'PRIME' ..like it makes you sound sports Einsteinish or something

you are who you are from day1,preNBA

Unless the media has a hard-on for ya or its a great story

hardworking backup players turned allstar starters who win rings makes for a great story in sports

Trueblue2
09-12-2012, 03:09 PM
Probably would be somewhere overrated like the dude he got traded for, a 'PRIME' DIVAC for a 'PRIME' KB8....fair trade right? hed be top 3 based on 'making his teammates better' effect because of his incredible passing/IQ right? he'd give HOWARD/BYNUM a serious run since he did get traded for the 'greatest player of this era' right,that backupguard turned allstar?

You guys throw that **** word PRIME out like VLADE just did so much more in his first 2yrs than he did in his glorifired 'PRIME'/best/later yrs he was who he was from day1, a 9-12ppg scorer and prob had a career high of around 15-16ppg and got traded for a scorer who had to wait to enter his PRIME also before people could figure out how good he is or was going to be

how good were SCOTT WILLIAMS,LUC LONGLEY(2-3rings),WILL PURDUE(5rings) in there respective PRIMES? nevermind

you guys amaze me on here on trying to overrate a player by throwing out the term 'PRIME' ..like it makes you sound sports Einsteinish or something

hardworking backup players turned allstar starters who win rings makes for a great story in sports

WTF are you talking about??

nickdymez
09-12-2012, 03:14 PM

Then dont watch bro

Iggz53
09-12-2012, 03:24 PM

Absolutely

UPRock
09-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah, probably #3.

Hawkeye15
09-12-2012, 04:06 PM
top 6-7. Dwight, Bynum, Marc Gasol, Chandler are all better. Then you have a healthy Bogut (tough to rank, he is always hurt), and KG even.

Chronz
09-12-2012, 04:14 PM
What was Divac's prime anyways? Did it come in LA, CHA, or SAC?

rhino17
09-12-2012, 04:19 PM
Somewhere between 3 and 5

majmarcus
09-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Lol...todays centers? Top 5? 3rd?

My gosh man!!!! There are only 2 centers in the league; Howard & Bynum. Lopez only gets mentioned because he was connected to the Howard trade. Otherwise, he'd be just another guy playing the center position. So ranking, in this case, a prime Vlade among todays centers really isnt a difficult task at all considering there's only 2 CENTERS & we all know his rank consideration would begin at 3 because 1 & 2 are occupied.

Smh, first the Antwon Walker a hofer crap & now this. Todays centers...yeah! all of both of em...

This ish needs to be closed...

dh144498
09-12-2012, 05:30 PM
peak year: 1994-1995
16-10.4-4 on 50.7%fg-----57%TS

top 5 center. He actually has just average FG% for a center (and if u notice he attempts more 3's than most centers :facepalm:) His FT% is pretty good compared to most centers: career 69%, his peak year he had 78%.

heyman321
09-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Better question is where would a prime, healthy Yao rank today?

dh144498
09-12-2012, 05:38 PM

Peak Yao: 2006-2007
25-9.4-2 on 51.6%FG and 86.2%FT 60%TS playing only 33.8 minutes a game.

Yao today would be arguably the best center along with D12. Yao for best offense and Dwight for best defense.

king4day
09-12-2012, 06:30 PM
between 3-5.

COOLbeans
09-12-2012, 09:24 PM
Vlade would be number 3 hands down. Bogut is probably better physically, but as of right now he can't stay healthy. If healthy, he's better than Vlade by a smidge.

THE MTL
09-12-2012, 11:34 PM
Lol...todays centers? Top 5? 3rd?

My gosh man!!!! There are only 2 centers in the league; Howard & Bynum. Lopez only gets mentioned because he was connected to the Howard trade. Otherwise, he'd be just another guy playing the center position. So ranking, in this case, a prime Vlade among todays centers really isnt a difficult task at all considering there's only 2 CENTERS & we all know his rank consideration would begin at 3 because 1 & 2 are occupied.

Smh, first the Antwon Walker a hofer crap & now this. Todays centers...yeah! all of both of em...

This ish needs to be closed...

Im sry but this post is too ignorant.

The center position is weak but Tyson Chandler, Roy Hibbert, Javal McGee, D'andre Jordan, Joakim Noah, Marc Gasol, and Brook Lopez are ALL Centers and would play the center position in ANY era of basketball.

And a prime Vlade Divac. 16ppg 11rpg 4apg 1.5bpg. Top 3 NBA center, might be top 2.

mrblisterdundee
09-13-2012, 12:05 AM

# 4 After Arvydas Sabonis, Dwight Howard and Andrew Bynum

tapajafri
09-13-2012, 12:07 AM
Divac would definitley be a top 3 center, behind Bynum and Howard of course. And Divac is the best passing center in the history of the game. Sabonis is a close second, but Divac threw many beautiful dimes.

Divac and Webber working that high low game when Sacramento was the best team in the entire NBA was a thing of beauty.

tapajafri
09-13-2012, 12:07 AM

No doubt Yao would be the best center in the NBA.

BHF
09-13-2012, 12:11 AM
Chandler better than prime Divac? ohh lord

Evolution23
09-13-2012, 12:15 AM
He was such a great passer for his size. That's what made him special. Also he had a really sexy beard.

Chronz
09-13-2012, 01:03 AM
Chandler better than prime Divac? ohh lord

The DPOY who shoots 70%, yea him

tapajafri
09-13-2012, 01:57 AM

Yeah 70% on like 7/10 shooting over a 5 game span. Vlade > Chandler ....hands down. Let me know when Chandler can post up, spin, dish, shoot, or even do a jump hook like Vlade could.

Sssmush
09-13-2012, 04:59 AM
These guys are all better (not necessarily in order):

Dwight
Bynum
Chandler
Hibbert
Perkins
Al Jefferson
Marc Gasol
Demarcus Cousins
David Lee
Deandre Jordan
Joakim Noah
Greg Monroe
Bargnani
Nene
Horford
Lopez

as well as tweener guys like KG, Duncan, Pau, Kevin Love, and Ibaka that are clearly better than Divac, or guys like Jordan Hill who, while not nearly as skilled offensively, are miles beyond in terms of rebounding and defensive intensity.

nycericanguy
09-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Top 6-7

Divac in his last year in SAC averaged more apg than Jrue Holiday.

3RDASYSTEM
09-13-2012, 09:09 AM
Exactly what CHRONZ said, when was his 'PRIME'?wackest **** ever made up in sports along with 'making his teammates better'' ..just pure ****ing poppycock

Answer: When he first got drafted, he was who he was

just say ''lets take his best 3-4yrs'' or something of that lining instead of saying 'prime'...cause BRON/AI/SHAQ were optimusprime before the NBA, go look it up

3RDASYSTEM
09-13-2012, 09:16 AM
centers like DIVAC come a dime a dozen(but he had that flopping down pat) and he'd be in same position as usual except players like ,he was a avg center who played with tremendous talent in SACTOWN....SHAQ/MOURNING/EWING/DREAM/DUNCAN/KG destroy a HOWARD/BYNUM/BOGUT/HYBRIDS any era,so he'd be overranked regards...i recall him being a decent passer and flopper,thats not nothing to scream about

and to the poster who said what am i talking about? can you read basic plain english? everything i said was documented, a avg player got traded for a good backup shooting guard ..fair trade right?

Dr Seuss
09-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Although Tall Divac his height did tower, I do not think he'll top dwight howard, I think I'll place him in number two, as he tops bynum and horford and brook lopez too

nickdymez
09-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Exactly what CHRONZ said, when was his 'PRIME'?wackest **** ever made up in sports along with 'making his teammates better'' ..just pure ****ing poppycock

Answer: When he first got drafted, he was who he was

just say ''lets take his best 3-4yrs'' or something of that lining instead of saying 'prime'...cause BRON/AI/SHAQ were optimusprime before the NBA, go look it up

Dont watch

tapajafri
09-13-2012, 04:07 PM
These guys are all better (not necessarily in order):

Dwight
Bynum
Chandler
Hibbert
Perkins
Al Jefferson
Marc Gasol
Demarcus Cousins
David Lee
Deandre Jordan
Joakim Noah
Greg Monroe
Bargnani
Nene
Horford
Lopez

as well as tweener guys like KG, Duncan, Pau, Kevin Love, and Ibaka that are clearly better than Divac, or guys like Jordan Hill who, while not nearly as skilled offensively, are miles beyond in terms of rebounding and defensive intensity.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL NO. JUST NO. NOT ALL OF THOSE GUYS ARE BETTER THAN DIVAC IN HIS PRIME. LOL JUST NO. OMFG LOL

SirSkyHook
09-13-2012, 04:35 PM
In today's NBA 2nd or 1b lol. People forget Divac was the master of flop. You put him in this league which is the generation on flop and Divac would tear it up. Bynum and his temper would foul out every game, and if he could get Shaq in foul trouble theres no doubt he could get Howard every other game, lol.

At 7'1" he had a nice jumper and decent footwork also, but his biggest skill other than flopping was his passing. He's one of the best big man passers ive ever seen. For some reason big man in today's game forget how important it is to be a good passer.

BHF
09-13-2012, 04:40 PM

yeah no not a chance he is more skilled than prime Divac or you are just to young to know how Divac played

Sssmush
09-14-2012, 03:35 AM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL NO. JUST NO. NOT ALL OF THOSE GUYS ARE BETTER THAN DIVAC IN HIS PRIME. LOL JUST NO. OMFG LOL

Look... for one thing, Divac wasn't really a true center. He was like a tallish Euro forward. He just played center on the Lakers during an era when the Lakers had no true center. He should rightly be compared then with PF and even SF type players.

Divac was also very unathletic, not much of a jumper at all (big smoker though). He also never really "owned" the game or had the confidence to lead a team or be the center of the offense, at least until he got to Sacramento.

Just my opinion. Maybe a few of those guys would be ranked slightly lower than Divac, just based on how new and unproven they are. But in general Divac is really overrated, and doesn't "tower" over any of those guys really at all. If he's better than any of them it's just by a slight margin.

tapajafri
09-14-2012, 03:40 AM
Look... for one thing, Divac wasn't really a true center. He was like a tallish Euro forward. He just played center on the Lakers during an era when the Lakers had no true center. He should rightly be compared then with PF and even SF type players.

Divac was also very unathletic, not much of a jumper at all (big smoker though). He also never really "owned" the game or had the confidence to lead a team or be the center of the offense, at least until he got to Sacramento.

Just my opinion. Maybe a few of those guys would be ranked slightly lower than Divac, just based on how new and unproven they are. But in general Divac is really overrated, and doesn't "tower" over any of those guys really at all. If he's better than any of them it's just by a slight margin.

Ok that's fair enough. I can respect that perspective lol. That's a long long way from your first one though. Your second post, I can respect that opinion much better haha and I actually agree with a few things in your second post

Sssmush
09-14-2012, 09:02 PM
Ok that's fair enough. I can respect that perspective lol. That's a long long way from your first one though. Your second post, I can respect that opinion much better haha and I actually agree with a few things in your second post

Cool. My posts sometimes vary widely with how many beers I might've had. Also I'm not a stats expert or anything, I sometimes just base what I say on having seen games, and compared that with box scores, espn highlights, and draft/trade analysis articles and that kind of thing. So I for sure don't claim to be "right" necessarily, just sayin' what seems reasonable to me. If it's bad I get a torrent of recrimination and then I have to rethink it :)

jericho
09-14-2012, 10:26 PM
what the hell is this divac a pf or a sf my god when did some of these kids started watching ball rite now he would be the 3rd best center he wasnt great but he did a lil bit of everything good he could shoot who could play d steal block low post off everything he did everything the rite way a jack of all trades he could even teach lebron wade battier blake and cp3 how to actually floop which is the only thing i hate bout his game