PDA

View Full Version : Will Kobe ever break all-time scoring record?

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes or no?
First and foremost, im not sure if this thread has been created before...if so...im sorry. (Mod delete). Anyways, for those of you who dont know, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(Lew Alcindar) currently holds the All-time record for most points. He played 1,560 games from 1969-1989, then retired at age 42. With a lifetime feild goal percentage of 56%, he accumulated 38,387 points while averaging 24.6 ppg over his career. Kobe is a 16 year vet @ age 34. He's played 1161 games and accumulated 29,484 points on 45%FG and averaged 25.4ppg. His most recent avergage play in last postseason was 30 ppg. Kobe needs 8,903 points to mach Jabbar's record. I know assuming he would score 25-30ppg for the remainder of his career would be a stretch, therefore my suggestion is to credit him for atleast half of that to give an estimate to statistically decifer the possability of acheiveing this goal. Assuming 82 games are played each season as well, it will take him 7 seasons to rack up 8,610(the bulk of it). Leaving only 293 more points. So realistically....can Kobe play 8 more seasons? Is this goal aceieveable? If so, how long will it take him and how easy will it come to him? IMO, he will not play 8 more seasons to retire at 42, probably 6 at the most and 3-4 atleast, and I don't believe he will be number one when it is all said and done. However, MJ 3rd All-Time is a more realistic record to be broken by Kobe. He only needs 2,808 more points for that. After MJ though, he will need some miracle,i believe, to retire with a rank higher than 3rd in All-Time Scoring. On another note...(Hypothetical)does Kobe beating MJ's record in scoring justify a claim of Kobe being the GOAT? After the record is broken(realistically it will be).

JNoel
09-11-2012, 06:00 PM
He has a fat chance to pass Jordan, but I just don't think he has the physical health to play for as long as Kareem did so the answer is probably not.

StinkEye
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
I don't know because apparently Wilt banged like 20,000 women. Kobe breaking that is a bit of a stretch.

Chacarron
09-11-2012, 06:15 PM
I hope not. The Lakers don't need him putting up 20+ shots per game.

Longhornfan1234
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
Yes or no?
First and foremost, im not sure if this thread has been created before...if so...im sorry. (Mod delete). Anyways, for those of you who dont know, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar(Lew Alcindar) currently holds the All-time record for most points. He played 1,560 games from 1969-1989, then retired at age 42. With a lifetime feild goal percentage of 56%, he accumulated 38,387 points while averaging 24.6 ppg over his career. Kobe is a 16 year vet @ age 34. He's played 1161 games and accumulated 29,484 points on 45%FG and averaged 25.4ppg. His most recent avergage play in last postseason was 30 ppg. Kobe needs 8,903 points to mach Jabbar's record. I know assuming he would score 25-30ppg for the remainder of his career would be a stretch, therefore my suggestion is to credit him for atleast half of that to give an estimate to statistically decifer the possability of acheiveing this goal. Assuming 82 games are played each season as well, it will take him 7 seasons to rack up 8,610(the bulk of it). Leaving only 293 more points. So realistically....can Kobe play 8 more seasons? Is this goal aceieveable? If so, how long will it take him and how easy will it come to him? IMO, he will not play 8 more seasons to retire at 42, probably 6 at the most and 3-4 atleast, and I don't believe he will be number one when it is all said and done. However, MJ 3rd All-Time is a more realistic record to be broken by Kobe. He only needs 2,808 more points for that. After MJ though, he will need some miracle,i believe, to retire with a rank higher than 3rd in All-Time Scoring. On another note...(Hypothetical)does Kobe beating MJ's record in scoring justify a claim of Kobe being the GOAT? After the record is broken(realistically it will be).

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Six-8-TheWizard
09-11-2012, 06:26 PM
I don't know because apparently Wilt banged like 20,000 women. Kobe breaking that is a bit of a stretch.

Especially with Vanessa bugging him all the time

cbs9889
09-11-2012, 06:38 PM
it depends on how long he plays and if he changes his style of play. it is weird because everyone makes fun of him for not passing but with D12 and nash coming to the team i feel like he will pass to them more and not need to score as much. also if they start blowing out teams he will play less mins but thats just what i think we will have to wait and see how good this team plays together.

smith&wesson
09-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Kobe wont play more then 2-3 more years max

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 06:51 PM
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont think it does either...just wanted to clear that up now before anyone tried to say that. Then again, not everyone will agree.

8kobe24
09-11-2012, 06:54 PM
Wait, which scoring record was op referring to?

amos1er
09-11-2012, 06:57 PM
Doubtful, but he could if he was cool with being a guy who only averages 18-19 ppg which he says in this interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY4b9H8vaYk&NR=1&feature=endscreen that he's not. So I'm betting that he will be 2nd on the all time scoring list when all is said and done.

YoungOne
09-11-2012, 07:00 PM
maybe if the starts shooting 50 % from the field

The1_Who_knocks
09-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Clown question bro

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-11-2012, 07:08 PM
He'll finish at 33K, so the answer to your question is no.

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 07:12 PM
Wait, which scoring record was op referring to?

Kobe breaking either Jabbar's 1st place All-Time scoring record or MJ's 3rd place All-Time scoring record. Total Points.

majmarcus
09-11-2012, 07:15 PM
If he wouldve started his first couple years, he would have a shot at it IMO. But as it stands now...naw!

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Clown question bro

you sound like a clown...bro...

SINCESTARBURY25
09-11-2012, 07:25 PM
I think Kobe will leave the Lakers to take a mentor role on the Knicks to teach Iman Shumpert.

Gram
09-11-2012, 07:36 PM
No.

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 08:05 PM
I think Kobe will leave the Lakers to take a mentor role on the Knicks to teach Iman Shumpert.

Sounds like wishful thinking of a Knick's Fan. I doubt he'll go anywhere but L.A. They just landed Howard and Nash. Im sure he'll stick around to see how this situation works out.

nickdymez
09-11-2012, 08:17 PM
No

JJ_JKidd
09-11-2012, 09:08 PM
Yes or no?

Not

JasonJohnHorn
09-12-2012, 07:29 AM
Had Jordan not retired twice... he would hold the record. If Kobe passes MJ.. it's not a big deal.. MJ missed two seasons in his prime and on top of that was out another 3 seasons where he could have been averaging 25 a game... so if Kobe does pass him, it will be more because Jordan took time off than because he is better than Jordan.

I believe it is possible for Kobe to get this done. He has great conditioning and could play into his early 40's, BUT he would have to be on a team that would make him the first option on offence. I believe that at 40 years old Kobe could still pull off 25 per game (though likely with a lower FG% or at least less efficiently). BUT he won't even be required to score that much THIS season with the addition of Dwight Howard and Nash. Nash will be taking some ball handling duties away from Kobe which will me less isolation plays for Kobe to score with, and Dwight is going to want the ball a lot! And there is still a guy named Pau Gasol (who I believe is currently the best scoring option the Lakers have and SHOULD be the first option... pick and roll with Nash and Gasol... but we all know Gasol is a humble team-first guy and will let the wanna-be-alpha dawgs get their touches before him).

Anyways... I could see Kobe still putting in 25ish this season... but beyond this season, he will have to leave LA and go to a lottery team that is hard up for a legit first scoring option to get the ball as much as he's going to want it and need it to break KAJ record.

The more realistic options for breaking the record are: LBJ and Durant.

Kobe isn't in the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

Vinylman
09-12-2012, 10:53 AM
Had Jordan not retired twice... he would hold the record. If Kobe passes MJ.. it's not a big deal.. MJ missed two seasons in his prime and on top of that was out another 3 seasons where he could have been averaging 25 a game... so if Kobe does pass him, it will be more because Jordan took time off than because he is better than Jordan.

I believe it is possible for Kobe to get this done. He has great conditioning and could play into his early 40's, BUT he would have to be on a team that would make him the first option on offence. I believe that at 40 years old Kobe could still pull off 25 per game (though likely with a lower FG% or at least less efficiently). BUT he won't even be required to score that much THIS season with the addition of Dwight Howard and Nash. Nash will be taking some ball handling duties away from Kobe which will me less isolation plays for Kobe to score with, and Dwight is going to want the ball a lot! And there is still a guy named Pau Gasol (who I believe is currently the best scoring option the Lakers have and SHOULD be the first option... pick and roll with Nash and Gasol... but we all know Gasol is a humble team-first guy and will let the wanna-be-alpha dawgs get their touches before him).

Anyways... I could see Kobe still putting in 25ish this season... but beyond this season, he will have to leave LA and go to a lottery team that is hard up for a legit first scoring option to get the ball as much as he's going to want it and need it to break KAJ record.

The more realistic options for breaking the record are: LBJ and Durant.

Kobe isn't in the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

so you are saying that if jordan didn't take those two years off and played say 2 more years after the 6th chip that those facts would not have meant that he would never have comeback with the wizards?

great logic :rolleyes:

Do i think kobe will ever be as good as jordan... no

but to simply say jordan would have done this or done that is all speculation. The fact of the matter is that he DIDN'T do it...

Can kobe pass KAJ? Easily. Does he want to play that long? Not likely

It is pretty safe to assume that he will end up as #3 all time since it will only take about 17.5 points a game over the next two years to pass Jordan.
If Kobe played 5 more years he would have to average 21.7 points a game...

Andrew32
09-12-2012, 12:01 PM
Karl Malone - 36928 points (#2 All-Time)

beliges
09-12-2012, 12:35 PM
Kobe will.surely pass MJ in the all time points category which is a remarkable achievement in an of itself. He will become the greatest scoring perimeter player to ever play based on.his all time points which is as impressive as a perimeter player can get.

His longevity is unsurpassed by anyone else.

Stinkyoutsider
09-12-2012, 12:55 PM
No, he won't. I remember hearing Kobe say that he's wants to end his career at 35, which is a lot of years for a guy who came out of high school. Even if he stayed after 35 and played 2 more years, I don't think he would break the record.

And, IMO, Jordan is the greatest player of all time even if Kobe outscores him. Jordan is the greatest for more than just his scoring...

Bruno
09-12-2012, 01:36 PM
no, he will retire 3rd behind Malone, in front of MJ.

he will most likely be passed up by Durant, and possibly LBJ by 2020. Wilt and Jordan won't be in the top five for long.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-12-2012, 01:41 PM
no, he will retire 3rd behind Malone, in front of MJ.

he will most likely be passed up by Durant, and possibly LBJ by 2020. Wilt and Jordan won't be in the top five for long.

Well, those 2 (Durant and LeBron) will probably end up as teammates down the line, so that'll hurt each other's scoring quests.

8kobe24
09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
Kobe breaking either Jabbar's 1st place All-Time scoring record or MJ's 3rd place All-Time scoring record. Total Points.

Oh, I see, I thought everyone was referring to Wilt's record of 20k.;)

Bruno
09-12-2012, 02:23 PM
Well, those 2 (Durant and LeBron) will probably end up as teammates down the line, so that'll hurt each other's scoring quests.

:laugh2: lets hope not.

Kobe2324
09-12-2012, 02:40 PM
is it possible...sure, but I dont think Kobe wants to play that long, He will pass MJ no problem, he says two more years, I think he will play longer than that, especially if he stays healthy and is still winning championships, my prediction is 3-5 years i think he will sign a 2 or 3 year deal after his current contract and I believe that will be it for KB24, by then he should rack up 1-4 more titles, pass mj in scoring by a good margin, have a ton of championships and will retire as the 2nd best layer of all time, even Kobe being my fav player I just cant take him over MJ, but at least you can put kobe in the disscussion, I dont believe any current player will be able to be in that disscussion, Lebron has potential, i just dont think he will win enough rings...

Hotone1401
09-12-2012, 02:54 PM
It doesn't matter if he does because Durant is going to hold the record when he's done.

LAKERMANIA
09-12-2012, 06:29 PM
The most he will get to is 3rd, passing MJ.. Barring any injuries or early retirement