PDA

View Full Version : Josh Childress signs with the Nets

jkiddvc20
09-11-2012, 05:27 PM
On my phone will post a link in a few. Very happy with the signing should be a solid backup to Wallace at SF

Josh Childress, the 6'9" forward amnestied by the Suns in July, was signed to a one year, non-guaranteed deal Tuesday. Howard Beck tweeted the news shortly after 5 p.m. Childress worked out with the Nets on Tuesday morning, meeting with Billy King and Avery Johnson.

Childress himself confirmed the signing in a tweet: "Looking forward to the opportunity in Brooklyn. #GodisGood."

Childress, 29, is now the leading candidate to back up Gerald Wallace at the small forward. He had four productive years with the Hawks, then spent two disappointing years with Olympiacos in Greece before returning before the 2010-11 season. He signed a five year, $33.5 million with the Suns, who finally decided to dump him as part of the CBA's amnesty provision. He will be paid $21 million over the next three years by the Suns. Any money he earns with the Nets will be deducted from what Phoenix owes him.

http://www.netsdaily.com/2012/9/11/3317554/childress-signs-with-nets

https://twitter.com/JChillin/status/245632125397762049

Chill_Will_24
09-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I would have preferred Damion James. More hustle and rebounds. This guy is trash

netsgiantsyanks
09-11-2012, 05:38 PM
nets forum.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I would have preferred Damion James. More hustle and rebounds. This guy is trash

This guys trash?

You would have rather a guy that has been injured the past 2 years and didnt play? Do you remember all those dleague call ups?

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-11-2012, 05:42 PM
another great signing. Just goes to show, all these great players willing to take paycuts to play for a ring.

ThunderousDemon
09-11-2012, 05:42 PM
Did a Mod get rid of the Nets Forum?

Cal827
09-11-2012, 05:43 PM
The Raptors finally steal the better player away from another team :dance:

All jokes aside, decent move, its not like he's gonna play more than 15 mins per game.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
He won't play much, barring injuries, but he is a pretty good defender, not much else, but a good depth signing.

king4day
09-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Good signing for the Nets if he makes the team. He likely will be something like a 9th or 10th man I'm sure.
Nets fans agree?

29$JerZ
09-11-2012, 05:47 PM
Pretty meh signing. That's 2 former hawks on the Nets now.
I doubt he gets much playing time, he's fallen off so much.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 05:48 PM
He won't play much, barring injuries, but he is a pretty good defender, not much else, but a good depth signing.

He is the backup SF buddy

More-Than-Most

I rarely ever say anything about this but my god it is true..Do we really care about these small signings?

king4day

There's very little news in the NBA at this time.
It's actual NBA news for a semi relevant player.

mdm692

WTF are you talking about. Childress is all hustle, good offensive rebounder, good defender, great slasher and sick afro. But on the real childress is a great rotation player for any championship team his shot is just horrible.

Hawkeye15
09-11-2012, 05:49 PM

cool.

king4day
09-11-2012, 05:50 PM

Who would have been the backup if they didn't pick him up?

29$JerZ
09-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Brooklyn still hasn't addressed their Center position.
I really hope they don't try Blatche as a C.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 05:55 PM
Who would have been the backup if they didn't pick him up?

Jerry Stackhouse or Keith Bogans

AIMelo=KillaDUO
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Jerry Stackhouse or Keith Bogans

AKA the Beasts.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Good signing for the Nets if he makes the team. He likely will be something like a 9th or 10th man I'm sure.
Nets fans agree?

Somewhere around 10th or 11th man behind Marshon, Watson, Teletovic, Blatche, and Evans.

Not a huge signing but decent depth. I would of liked McGuire but its just a non-guaranteed contract.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 05:58 PM
AKA the Beasts.

Back in the day

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Pretty meh signing. That's 2 former hawks on the Nets now.
I doubt he gets much playing time, he's fallen off so much.

Brooklyn still hasn't addressed their Center position.
I really hope they don't try Blatche as a C.

Is everything that involves the Nets negative for you? The guy is a 10th man at best, who cares if hes a former Hawk or if he's "fallen off".

29$JerZ
09-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Is everything that involves the Nets negative for you? The guy is a 10th man at best, who cares if hes a former Hawk or if he's "fallen off".

They are observations. Nothing negative about it. It's a depth signing, I'm not saying its a horrific signing.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 06:03 PM

Yes Blatche and Childress have to be nearing 40 to be well respected in his book.

Gritz
09-11-2012, 06:05 PM
He's an allstar

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes Blatche and Childress have to be nearing 40 to be well respected in his book.

Dont get it twisted, I'd love to have a guy like Camby over Blatche.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Dont get it twisted, I'd love to have a guy like Camby over Blatche.

Kurt Thomas over Evans?
Cj Watson over Kidd and that other Euro?

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 06:09 PM
Kurt Thomas over Evans?
Cj Watson over Kidd and that other Euro?

I never said that.

I'd clearly take both Evans and Watson over Kidd and Thomas but when it comes to a guy like Camby, who could provide the Nets with an excellent amount of interior defense, I'd prefer him over Blatche.

29$JerZ
09-11-2012, 06:11 PM
She always tries to tie the Knicks into everything Brooklyn related because she gains pleasure from it. Ignore it.

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Shocker! jk good signing...a winning atmosphere can turn this whole team around. Now they need to come together and win some games for a change. Johnson, Blatche, and Childress all need a change in scenery and what better way to do it in a new basketball arena and city.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 06:14 PM
She always tries to tie the Knicks into everything Brooklyn related because she gains pleasure from it. Ignore it.

I was responding to him saying you find everything negative so I said he finds everything positive about his team, so I should compare the two.

29$JerZ
09-11-2012, 06:17 PM
You clearly know nothing about me then.
Stay on topic for once in your life. Knicks weren't mention until you brought them up. Leave it alone.

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 06:20 PM
You clearly know nothing about me then.
Stay on topic for once in your life. Knicks weren't mention until you brought them up. Leave it alone.

This is basketball discussion things branch off to other things.
But to go "back on topic" this was a great move! This is a guy that shoots at a high % and is a good defender.

D2theJ
09-11-2012, 06:24 PM
Nets fans agree?

If he's anything like the old Josh Childress then he will be the backup SF to Wallace.

If not then it will be an open competition between him, Shengelia, and Keith Bogans for backup SF minutes.

Last year before he got hurt Bogans actually played pretty well at SF giving solid defense and hitting the occasional 3. I don't think Shengelia is NBA ready yet, so since Childress has the size advantage I see him getting the bulk of the backup minutes.

RLundi
09-11-2012, 06:37 PM
Not a bad signing. I think Childress can still do some things if given the opportunity.

Punk
09-11-2012, 06:45 PM
Good news is Josh and Andray can be cut for Kenyon Martin/Petrius.

Knicks21
09-11-2012, 06:53 PM
McGuire is better.

GiantsSwaGG
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
His fro is what makes him so good!

Chill_Will_24
09-11-2012, 07:14 PM
Deron Williams reveals that he would not have even considered resigning with the Nets if they were not moving to Brooklyn (as if anyone is surprised at that).

http://www.businessinsider.com/deron-williams-nets-2012-9#ixzz26CoDKeTk

Brooklyn is one of the premier landing spots for players now. I doubt we will see the Nets in the lottery for a long time

arkanian215
09-11-2012, 07:20 PM
0a

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 07:22 PM
Sadly Bogans was starting for us last year for a stretch until his season ended. That's how thin we were.

But wait... arent we the same team as last year? Just with the addition of Joe Johnson?

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-11-2012, 07:32 PM
Brooklyn's version of ronnie brewer. Jus kiddin. Good low risk move

Captain Moroni
09-11-2012, 07:43 PM
No news signing, pretty below average backup.

netsgiantsyanks
09-11-2012, 07:56 PM
But wait... arent we the same team as last year? Just with the addition of Joe Johnson?

yeah, the nets aren't anything special, same team essentially. herp derp.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 08:10 PM
yeah, the nets aren't anything special, same team essentially. herp derp.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I cant wait to see how Petro and Sheldon Williams do with the addition of Sundiata Gaines.

KnicksR4Real
09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
Meh.

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. I cant wait to see how Petro and Sheldon Williams do with the addition of Sundiata Gaines.

Gaines has signed with the Pacers for camp. Do the nets still have Williams? i thought he was going overseas or still a FA nontheless.

Chill_Will_24
09-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Dont forget the amazing Shawne Williams

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Gaines has signed with the Pacers for camp. Do the nets still have Williams? i thought he was going overseas or still a FA nontheless.

Sarcasm my friend.

Nets no longer have any one those scrubs, most of which started for us last season for a certain amount of time.

Just a shot at people who say the Nets are the same team.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Dont forget the amazing Shawne Williams

How could I forget? The man who took us over the hump.

Man, what a team.

Bulls_fan90
09-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Scrub.

IndyHeatjman
09-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Sarcasm my friend.

Nets no longer have any one those scrubs, most of which started for us last season for a certain amount of time.

Right over my head...whoever thinks they are the same team to needs get with it.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-11-2012, 08:55 PM
He's a good defender even if his offensive game has diminished over the years. We have plenty of offense, so a youngish defensive guy like Childress off the bench is nice.

Leandro Barbosa came out and said in an interview that the Nets are pursuing him the hardest. Would be an awesome pick up. 3rd string PG/SG who can hit the 3. Plus his added depth at the 2 would allow Joe Johnson/Marshon Brooks to slide to SF.

ROY 2 MVP Braun
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM

johnny i like ya bud from the 2k league but..... i dont see the nets being that great i mean dwill is awesome but jj is on the decline as is wallace, hump is a beast and lopez we'll he's a decent C! the bench i really dont think is that great watson is ok but wont get alot of pt behind dwill, i like brooks alot but childress hasnt been good at all since returning to the league from overseas but hopefully he can turn it around...evans is really being over rated by alot of nets fans the man can grab boards n plays hard on D although him playing hard on D does not make him a great defender he just gives effort and blatche is well a nut case he had 1 good season 2 yrs ago but i think his stats were higher because he was on the worst team in the league! i think they need a legit back up center! i dont no much about their rookie tetelovic or whatever his name is but everyone seems to be very high on him i think the best chance for the nets to compete this year would be that the rookie really impresses and can take the starting spot with crash coming off the bench!

----im not trying to be a hater on the nets bc i love dwill but i really dont see them being as good as everyone thinks (mostly nets fans) although they wont be bad as they have been the past few seasons!

just wish the season would play out and people can see how the pieces fit together before all these signings and trades are making the nets instant contenders....im not a net fan and yet it seems like most forget how their returning starters really didnt get much playing time together so they'll need to gel as well as all the new pieces around them!

BradHolt4CYoung
09-11-2012, 09:16 PM
johnny i like ya bud from the 2k league but..... i dont see the nets being that great i mean dwill is awesome but jj is on the decline as is wallace, hump is a beast and lopez we'll he's a decent C! the bench i really dont think is that great watson is ok but wont get alot of pt behind dwill, i like brooks alot but childress hasnt been good at all since returning to the league from overseas but hopefully he can turn it around...evans is really being over rated by alot of nets fans the man can grab boards n plays hard on D although him playing hard on D does not make him a great defender he just gives effort and blatche is well a nut case he had 1 good season 2 yrs ago but i think his stats were higher because he was on the worst team in the league! i think they need a legit back up center! i dont no much about their rookie tetelovic or whatever his name is but everyone seems to be very high on him i think the best chance for the nets to compete this year would be that the rookie really impresses and can take the starting spot with crash coming off the bench!

----im not trying to be a hater on the nets bc i love dwill but i really dont see them being as good as everyone thinks (mostly nets fans) although they wont be bad as they have been the past few seasons!

just wish the season would play out and people can see how the pieces fit together before all these signings and trades are making the nets instant contenders....im not a net fan and yet it seems like most forget how their returning starters really didnt get much playing time together so they'll need to gel as well as all the new pieces around them!

Once Wallace got traded to the Nets last year he started playing a lot better then he did with Portland. In 16 game w/Nets he averaged 15ppg/7reb/3apg/1.4steels.......That is very good. Not really much of a decline. Playing with D-will helps a lot too.

Look at JJ's stats the last 2 seasons. Last season was better then the year before. So he is not declining as rapidly as you think. Still a top 5 SG in the NBA. Also playing with the Hawks he did not have a very good playmaking PG in Teague. Now he has D-will dont you think that helps him get more open shots and less "iso-joe"?

Lopez will be better then decent as long as he can revert back to his first 2 seasons when he got 8.5 rebounds per game and averaged 18-20ppg. I think his rebounding has gotten much worse the last 2 years because he had Mono which made him lose muscle and also had foot problems. Guy is very talented he is certainly capable of posting 20/9. Not bad for 3rd best player.

The bench wont be GREAT, but it's a nice bench with potential. Watson played nice for the Bulls last year. Not many back up PGs better than him. Brooks had a very good rookie season last year and flashed awesome scoring skills. He can be a Jamaal Crawford type off the bench but has much better passing skills. Teletovic is an unknown in the NBA, but we have reason to be excited. 6-10 who is great from 3 point range and led all of the Euro league in scoring last season. ANDRAY BLATCH....if he gets his head straight will be an asset off the bench. Has a lot of talent.

Robbw241
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Sign all the players

PacersForLife
09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Sarcasm my friend.

They aren't the same team by any means. I don't think they will be as good as everyone thinks they will be though. Sure they'll make the playoffs easily, but they aren't a top 4 seed in my opinion, I predict the best they do is 5th seed.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 10:06 PM
johnny i like ya bud from the 2k league
Appreciate it, it was unfortunate that that league fell apart. Maybe it can form back again after 2k13 comes out.

but..... i dont see the nets being that great i mean dwill is awesome but jj is on the decline as is wallace, hump is a beast and lopez we'll he's a decent C!

I think "on the decline" is a strong statement, I think you'll really have to see how guys like JJ and Wallace play with DWill before you can officially say theyre on the decline. Now were their numbers sub par from seasons past? Yes of course, but I still see JJ and Wallace as major factors for the team this season. Wallace in his limited games with NJ looked excellent, he was sharp on defense and was actually scoring efficiently, he had a bad game against Melo but that was more about the lack of total team defense than his fault. JJ has never really had a chance to play with an elite point guard during his greater playing days, I think DWill will totally set him up to be a more efficient as well as more consistent player. He's a great spot up shooter but can also create his own shot, I think he fits extremely well with this team. I would comment further on Lopez but Ill go into a very long rant, so to save you some time in reading this. Watch how he plays this season, I promise you he will shock you.

the bench i really dont think is that great watson is ok but wont get alot of pt behind dwill, i like brooks alot but childress hasnt been good at all since returning to the league from overseas but hopefully he can turn it around...evans is really being over rated by alot of nets fans the man can grab boards n plays hard on D although him playing hard on D does not make him a great defender he just gives effort and blatche is well a nut case he had 1 good season 2 yrs ago but i think his stats were higher because he was on the worst team in the league! i think they need a legit back up center! i dont no much about their rookie tetelovic or whatever his name is but everyone seems to be very high on him i think the best chance for the nets to compete this year would be that the rookie really impresses and can take the starting spot with crash coming off the bench!

I think the bench is a bit underrated to be honest, and I'm saying this in the least bias way I can. We have the ability to have some of the best scoring off the bench in the league with the likes of CJ, Marshon, Blatche (headcase but there is no doubting he can score), and Teletovic. All of which have the capability of giving you a scoring outburst or set up a scoring outburst (in CJ Watsons case). We do need a big man that can play D, I have never neglected that, and that might be the reason we fall short this year in the playoffs, but to be just one simple piece like that away from having a shot is quite interesting for the future.

I dont think you're being a hater, its not easy to judge a team that hasnt played yet, so I appreciate you realizing that this team does have some potential (unlike many others). This team can and will shock a lot of people, I'm not saying they'll be representing the East this year, but I do think that they can be one of the better teams in the East.

It all comes down to how it all plays out, and its a wait and see process, I just personally wouldn't sleep on them fan or not.

JOhnnyTHaJet
09-11-2012, 10:09 PM
They aren't the same team by any means. I don't think they will be as good as everyone thinks they will be though. Sure they'll make the playoffs easily, but they aren't a top 4 seed in my opinion, I predict the best they do is 5th seed.

I think we'll be somewhere between 4 and 6 but again like I said above, I wouldn't be shocked if they turned out to be a 2 or 3 seed. Thats not simply because they're my team but more so my view on how well they could gel together, by forming one of the more offensively elite teams.

Chill_Will_24
09-11-2012, 10:55 PM
I think of all the Nets bench players the one that is flying under the radar is Teletovic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4IdpCl4Ypw

The guy will be a great weapon off the bench

rurichie
09-11-2012, 11:13 PM
I think of all the Nets bench players the one that is flying under the radar is Teletovic.

He's my ROY vote already

Chill_Will_24
09-11-2012, 11:29 PM
He's my ROY vote already

I would not go that far

DoMeFavors
09-11-2012, 11:51 PM
I would not go that far

Everytime I see you you talk down your own team

Childress, This, and that thread "WOW Joe Johnson Real Cool" or something like that.

Deron is going to Dallas.

Ive never seen a fan hate on their own team as much as you

Gram
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM

Buddy.

Chill_Will_24
09-12-2012, 12:05 AM
Everytime I see you you talk down your own team

Childress, This, and that thread "WOW Joe Johnson Real Cool" or something like that.

Deron is going to Dallas.

Ive never seen a fan hate on their own team as much as you

Sorry :(

-Childress will be a stopper and amazing player for us off the bench

- Joe Jonson will be the best SG in the league

- Teletovic will win ROY

- Nets will win the title

- DoMeFavors will get a girlfriend

Gram
09-12-2012, 12:10 AM

- Teletovic will win ROY

Not unless he changes his name to DoMeGram. Then I will be his girlfriend. If he doesn't do that he stands no chance.

DoMeFavors
09-12-2012, 12:19 AM

- Teletovic will win ROY

Because you pick on your own franchise that is why other fans pick on the Nets, because if you dont stand up for yourself you are going to get picked on. I stand on for myself and half this website has ignored me because they cant take it.

koreancabbage
09-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Because you pick on your own franchise that is why other fans pick on the Nets, because if you dont stand up for yourself you are going to get picked on. I stand on for myself and half this website has ignored me because they cant take it.

Im pretty sure its the other way around. Half the website ignores u b/c of you. Not bc of this guy picking on his own franchise nor is it bc of the way he talks about this franchise. People ignore u cuz you have tunnel vision about the nets. U cant see this cuz u still have tunnel vision.

Gram
09-12-2012, 08:00 AM

No it's because of your ridiculous posts that people pick on the Nets.

maddBat
09-12-2012, 08:16 AM

him n toko r under the radar. i cant wait til toko gets some playing time. he compares himself 2 manu and just watching him in the summer league, hes got some skill.