PDA

View Full Version : Are The Clippers Now a More Dangerous Matchup for OKC This Season?

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Look at the head-to-head matchups last season. Remember, this was the Clippers their 1st yr trying to incorporate all their new guys, while OKC already had an established core.

January 30th: @ LAC: Los Angeles Clippers 112, Oklahoma City Thunder 100 (LAC by 12)

March 21st: @ OKC: Oklahoma City Thunder 114, Los Angeles Clippers 91 (OKC by 23)

April 11th: @ OKC: Los Angeles Clippers 100, Oklahoma City Thunder 98 (LAC by 2)

April 16th: @ LAC: Los Angeles Clippers 92, Oklahoma City Thunder 77 (LAC by 15)

Clippers win season series 3-1

2012 offseason:

OKC added: Hasheem Thabeet and Daniel Orton, healthy Eric Maynor.

OKC lost: Derek Fisher

LAC added: Grant Hill, Lamar Odom, Jamal Crawford, healthy Chauncey Billups, Willie Green, Ryan Hollins, Ronny Turiaf

LAC lost: Kenyon Martin, Reggie Evans, Mo Williams, Randy Foye, Bobby Simmons, Nick Young

Hawkeye15
09-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Simple answer: yes

SteBO
09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
They were a matchup problem for them last year. The Clippers have improved their team while OKC stood pat. The Clippers are very much a dangerous matchup for them.

LongIslandIcedZ
09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Clippers got better, because of that fact alone their more dangerous.

uprightciti
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
i mean not really....they got 4 dudes that are on the decline and thats it

the addition of crawford could be good
but...mo would always show you he had a 30 point game in him from time to time

uprightciti
09-10-2012, 04:11 PM
i mean not really....they got 4 dudes that are on the decline and thats it

the addition of crawford could be good
but...mo would always show you he had a 30 point game in him from time to time

also perry jones III is gonna be HUGE for okc

JNoel
09-10-2012, 04:18 PM
Clippers can create matchup problems for any team.

theheatles
09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
The west is going to be a bloodbath

--23--
09-10-2012, 04:47 PM
yes they are

ewmania
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
lol i love how people say OKC stood flat.... guys who havent turned 25 yet so they games are improving which means they havent stood flat they are getting better without having to move anything

too me thats more dangerous than new signings

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 05:11 PM
lol i love how people say OKC stood flat.... guys who havent turned 25 yet so they games are improving which means they havent stood flat they are getting better without having to move anything

They don't have consistent scoring in the paint and post players. They're purely a jumpshooting team in crunchtime against the elite defense, like the Heat.

Iron24th
09-10-2012, 05:14 PM
The clips got deeper, so, yes, they could be an even bigger problem for okc.

JoeDirt05
09-10-2012, 05:28 PM
no until Blake learns how to shoot it aint a matchup

Dade County
09-10-2012, 05:38 PM
The west is going to be a bloodbath

This...

I feel that no-matter what... The Clippers are making it to the WCF or the Finals ( NBA reasons ).

SteBO
09-10-2012, 05:44 PM

OK. They still stood flat.......Regardless, they're still a dangerous team and are favorites for the western crown.

Punk
09-10-2012, 05:50 PM
The reason why the Clippers dominated the Thunder in most games is because they could not guard Chris Paul and Ibaka/Perkins aren't quick enough to guard Griffin/Jordan.

I'd still take the Lakers as Thunder's biggest challenge.

Toastyy
09-10-2012, 06:22 PM
You forgot perry jones

Cal827
09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
LOL, and people said I was crazy for predicting a LAC/LAL conference finals. I mean, I know I'm already crazy, but pls use some of my other horrible arguments :D

Match-up Nightmares for OKC everywhere other than SF and SG. Blake will get Ibloka into foul trouble, and him/jordan is very tough for just Perkins to have to deal with. Shoulda got a better big man than Thabeet to back them up (Martin?)

king4day
09-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Absolutely. Getting Billups back alone will be a huge piece.
Nick Young and Crawford are probably a wash.

Hill is still a top defender in the league and Odom is going to really help spell Griffin off the bench.

If healthy, I think LAC will compete with any team out west this year.

dc5jdm
09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
Yea man the clippers are loaded from top to bottom Theyre nicely built. They will compete with the Lakers and thunder and other top teams out West.

_KB24_
09-10-2012, 07:50 PM
There front courts are pretty much a wash to me. Griffin still isn't a "go-to" player in the post and I have to see how well Odom plays basically with a whole away from the league.

Perimeter I still give the advantage to OKC but it should be interesting to see how well Billups and Hill will defend Westbrook and Durant.

OKC still has the considerable edge.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 08:45 PM
There front courts are pretty much a wash to me. Griffin still isn't a "go-to" player in the post and I have to see how well Odom plays basically with a whole away from the league.

Perimeter I still give the advantage to OKC but it should be interesting to see how well Billups and Hill will defend Westbrook and Durant.

OKC still has the considerable edge.

But with his reckless moves to the baskets and the refs protecting him on every physical contact, he's bound to get the opposition into foul trouble (aka Perk and Serge).

_KB24_
09-10-2012, 08:57 PM
But with his reckless moves to the baskets and the refs protecting him on every physical contact, he's bound to get the opposition into foul trouble (aka Perk and Serge).

I won't think it would be that much of a game changer. In the end of the day, the free throw discrepancy between the two teams isn't going to be anything eye-popping. The games will be decided on the perimeter.

THE MTL
09-10-2012, 09:27 PM

I was going to say the same thing. OKC remains flat? Durant, Westbrook, Ibaka, and Harden get CONSIDERABLY better each year. OKC got better than the Clippers did, simply because they stayed together and gained +1 year experience.

Cracka2HI!
09-10-2012, 09:30 PM
The funny thing is the Thunder were the Clippers easiest opponent last season. The 2 point win the Clippers had over OKC was a 23 point comeback on the road I believe. I think it will balance out if we ever play in the playoffs, but there is plenty of reason to think the Clipps can beat them in a playoff series. Ibaka and Perkins don't challenge Blake on D. The Lakers bigs kill the Clipps, the Clipps bigs kill OKC. Even DJ has good games against them. Durant and Westbrook as not able to dominate our defense. Bledsoe is maybe the 1 guard in the league that has no trouble with Westbrooks freakish athleticism. Hill should only help us contain Durant even more. I don't like looking at the Clippers as a contender because I am a fan. Trying to stay objective. However objectively speaking they should be pretty damn good this year!

Baller1
09-11-2012, 02:15 AM
Yeah, still won't win in a seven game series though.

Maynor being healthy + our four best players being 24 or younger and therefore getting better... That's all we need.

Evolution23
09-11-2012, 02:56 AM
I think getting Thabeet and Maynor is going to big for the Thunder. They already had a deep team and now they get a big man who can block shots and a playmaker in Maynor. So you can't say that the Clips got better because the Thunder just got done with a finals run and got experience under their belt.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-11-2012, 04:09 AM
The funny thing is the Thunder were the Clippers easiest opponent last season. The 2 point win the Clippers had over OKC was a 23 point comeback on the road I believe. I think it will balance out if we ever play in the playoffs, but there is plenty of reason to think the Clipps can beat them in a playoff series. Ibaka and Perkins don't challenge Blake on D. The Lakers bigs kill the Clipps, the Clipps bigs kill OKC. Even DJ has good games against them. Durant and Westbrook as not able to dominate our defense. Bledsoe is maybe the 1 guard in the league that has no trouble with Westbrooks freakish athleticism. Hill should only help us contain Durant even more. I don't like looking at the Clippers as a contender because I am a fan. Trying to stay objective. However objectively speaking they should be pretty damn good this year!

I agree completely. I expect the Clippers to be competing for either the #2 or #3 seed (at worst) in the West. With their new additions, they're better than the Spurs that's for sure.

The1_Who_knocks
09-11-2012, 04:17 AM
No clips won't even make.the playoffs

jerellh528
09-11-2012, 04:39 AM
OK. They still stood flat.......Regardless, they're still a dangerous team and are favorites for the western crown.

vegas says otherwise

Iron24th
09-11-2012, 05:34 AM
Absolutely. Getting Billups back alone will be a huge piece.
Nick Young and Crawford are probably a wash.

Hill is still a top defender in the league and Odom is going to really help spell Griffin off the bench.

If healthy, I think LAC will compete with any team out west this year.

Nick Young is a sixer.

thenaj17
09-11-2012, 07:05 AM
Clippers are a quality team for sure and on a good day they could easily beat any team in the league. In a 7 game series, i think it would go the distance and i'd have to see the first 2 games this year to decide which 1 would go through.

Clips added Odom, Crawford and Hill and now have Butler and Billups full healthy (for now). Add that on top of what they had last year minus Foye, Mo, K-Mart and i think they're better off now.

I really don't think OKC will get to finals this year. Clips would be my be backup bet to Lakers due to matchup although i don't like putting money on my own team. Spurs could also make it if they avoid OKC

Vinylman
09-11-2012, 11:09 AM
I love the argument that the OKC youngsters will get better and that is why the clipps won't beat them but griffin/jordan/bledsoe will just tread water

LMFAO

The clipps are obviously a good team that will present challenges for the top teams in the west... bledsoe will make westbrook his bitc h again this year just like last year.

nickdymez
09-11-2012, 11:12 AM
Clippers will finish top 3 in the west this year. I'll bet on that. They knock the Spurs off that top 3 imo. I just dont trust del negro if im a Clipper fan

Lakers/Okc
Clippers

Vinylman
09-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Clippers will finish top 3 in the west this year. I'll bet on that. They knock the Spurs off that top 3 imo. I just dont trust del negro if im a Clipper fan

Lakers/Okc
Clippers

and laker fans should trutst that POS Mike Brown :speechless:

nickdymez
09-11-2012, 11:18 AM
and laker fans should trutst that POS Mike Brown :speechless:

No. Are you trying to bait me?

Vinylman
09-11-2012, 11:25 AM
No. Are you trying to bait me?

how is that a bait?

You say clipper fans should be worried about Del Negro and i say Laker fans should have the same concerns about that POS Brown...

oh btw... i am a laker fan...

nickdymez
09-11-2012, 11:27 AM
how is that a bait?

You say clipper fans should be worried about Del Negro and i say Laker fans should have the same concerns about that POS Brown...

oh btw... i am a laker fan...

Cuz this is a Clipper thread and the Lakers were bought up and im obviously a Lakers fan. But my bad, I wasn't trying to start anything.

shep33
09-11-2012, 01:29 PM
I like what the Clips did this offseason. The only issue may be the age of some of their players. Crawford is getting up there, and he's declined over the past 3 years. Hill's age might be getting the better of him as he had a pretty sub-par season last year, and Caron Butler just shooters corner 3's.

Outside of that, the only mistake they made imo, was letting Reggie Evans go. No Kmart either? I think they lose a lot of toughness on the front line.

That being said, the Clips and Nuggets are two scary teams out west. I think both have the potential to get to the WCF

Cracka2HI!
09-11-2012, 05:39 PM

Lakers/Okc
ClippersThis. I think the Clipps can beat anyone, possibly win 60 games and even the #1 seed out West. However with VDN it's hard to get fired up about championship possibilities. The Lakers also have a bad coach, but their players have been there and I can't see VDN putting together a strategy to stop those bigs for 7 games. The Spurs will crush the Clippers in the playoffs unless this is the year they hit the wall. Denver may be an even tougher mathcup for teams than the Clippers. That brings me back to the Thunder. I do think they are one team VDN may be able to coach a series win against. Our players really do matchup horribly for them.

king4day
09-11-2012, 05:56 PM
Nick Young is a sixer.

Right. I was just comparing the guy (Crawford) that is going to replace him. I don't see Crawford being a drastic improvement or setback at the position.

Cracka2HI!
09-11-2012, 10:16 PM
^Crawford's actually replacing Mo and is quite a big upgrade over Nick Young IMO. Hill replaces Young and is also an upgrade IMO. Crawford and Mo are about a wash, but Crawford is much taller and likes coming off the bench making him a better fit.

EastNYLos
09-11-2012, 11:56 PM
Clippers dont stand a chance against okc idc how they played them in the regular season the playoffs are a different story

Cracka2HI!
09-12-2012, 02:26 AM
Clippers dont stand a chance against okc idc how they played them in the regular season the playoffs are a different story

Thank you for posting this. Now please give a solid basketball opinion to back up this statement.

Vinylman
09-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Thank you for posting this. Now please give a solid basketball opinion to back up this statement.

why would he do that? This is PSD :D

Stinkyoutsider
09-12-2012, 12:38 PM
I'm not sure if they are a more dangerous matchup but I like the versatility of the squad now. Grant Hill and play the 1, 2, or 3 and Lamar Odom can play the 3, 4, or 5, and the core players are coming back (Paul, Griffin, Billips, Jordan, ...)

It'll be interesting to see if OKC can put up with all the different lineups the Clippers can throw at them.

Besides a post scorer, I don't think OKC needed much. The year of experience OKC got playing in the finals will factor into the matchup for sure. Maybe OKC learned more on how to close out opponents and keep the pressure on them?

Im_in_Mia_bish
10-12-2012, 11:02 AM
...what? lol no.

the clippers are not a tough matchup for the thunder at all. infact it would be interesting to see how the clippers play small ball with the thunder.

sixer04fan
10-12-2012, 11:19 AM
I mean they got Willie Green. So yeah, they're basically unstoppable.