PDA

View Full Version : Is Vince Carter a Hall of Famer????

bootleg42
09-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Don't look now, but his numbers are creeping up on players like Larry Bird and Clyde Drexler. Sure his best days are way behind him, but he was a top scorer for a good 10 year period. It was not his fault that he was stuck in Toronto and that he was a Net after they were good.

I say no, but I can see an argument. Discuss.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
no

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Its hard for me to make a case for him.

majmarcus
09-09-2012, 10:32 PM
No! Shouldnt even be a consideration

spreadeagle
09-09-2012, 10:33 PM
Don't look now, but his numbers are creeping up on players like Larry Bird and Clyde Drexler. Sure his best days are way behind him, but he was a top scorer for a good 10 year period. It was not his fault that he was stuck in Toronto and that he was a Net after they were good.

I say no, but I can see an argument. Discuss.

"stuck in Toronto" being the biggest thing in basketball for many years... because his time with the Nets Magic and Suns and Mavs were oh so glorious right? you knob

spreadeagle
09-09-2012, 10:39 PM
and to answer the question I say its close but no...

_KB24_
09-09-2012, 10:40 PM
I say yes. Being the "greatest dunker of all time" should count for something. :shrug:

spreadeagle
09-09-2012, 10:43 PM
I say yes. Being the "greatest dunker of all time" should count for something. :shrug:

I would say Griffin and Wilkins are better, he probably had the most memorable dunk contest though..that and the free throw line dunk from MJ

SMH!
09-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I would say Griffin and Wilkins are better, he probably had the most memorable dunk contest though..that and the free throw line dunk from MJ

Griffin is no where close to Vinsanity in dunking, just saying

asandhu23
09-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Spread, did you seriously say Griffin is better dunker than Vinsanity? how old were you in late 90s and early 2000s?

JNoel
09-09-2012, 10:48 PM
I think he'll get it somewhere down the road.

asandhu23
09-09-2012, 10:49 PM
also, Vince will make the Hall of Fame just like his cousin T - Mac. They will not make it right away but they will.

WeaponXXX
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM

No to hof .... but he is the greatest dunker of all time/in game dunker as well. Griffin and Wilkins aren't even close

IndiansFan337
09-09-2012, 10:51 PM
No. He was a pretty good player, but never an elite player. The elite players are the only ones who should be getting into the HOF.

WeaponXXX
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Dunk over 7 footer in game, went chest to chest with Mutombo, and then Zo

Tmath
09-09-2012, 10:56 PM

Sorry bro but you deserve this :facepalm:

naps
09-09-2012, 10:57 PM

Serious??
Vince is the greatest dunker of all time hands down. This is almost as universal as it gets.

UPRock
09-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Yes, but to help his case he should retire NOW! He's very bad right now.

Tmath
09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
Can't have a VC thread without a highlight reel http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizEJTeD3NI

_KB24_
09-09-2012, 11:05 PM
No. He was a pretty good player, but never an elite player. The elite players are the only ones who should be getting into the HOF.

What constitutes "elite" in your book? Just wondering.

Chacarron
09-09-2012, 11:06 PM
Mitch Richmond should make it in before Carter.

Tmath
09-09-2012, 11:08 PM
I vote yes.

OZknickerbocker
09-09-2012, 11:13 PM
probably going to get torn up for this although i think vince carter is at about the same level as reggie miller IMO, this guy made basketball international, basketball boomed in australia thanks to this guy and his freakish athletisism...
i love vc, he just found himself on putrid rosters.
love to see his name in springfield

GodsSon
09-09-2012, 11:15 PM
If he made it in, the question would be, would he go in as a Raptor or Net?

As a Toronto fan, I don't see how it would be in anything other than a Raps jersey.

OZknickerbocker
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
If he made it in, the question would be, would he go in as a Raptor or Net?

As a Toronto fan, I don't see how it would be in anything other than a Raps jersey.

i was thkning the suns :clap:
but great question, couldnt say but have the raptors got any hall of famers from the past, if not i think it would be good for the raptors

CB29
09-09-2012, 11:20 PM
Not on first ballot for sure... Maybe down the road in a weaker class.

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 11:21 PM

I mean, i don't think he's "the greatest dunker of all time". But thats a legitimate question. He is an 8x all-star. Played 14 seasons. His career numbers and accolades are fringe at best.

Should his status as an all-time great dunker count for something? He is surely one of the greats.

c.c.
09-09-2012, 11:23 PM
Yeah, If he would of stayed in Toronto and lead that franchise in damn near every stat instead of wanting out of there (which lead to him being bounced around the league afterwards). I think his career would of been better off.

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM

Remember when he was traded to NJ and looked like he was going to be elite?

Mave1002
09-09-2012, 11:24 PM
Nope. Not enough.

JStub22
09-09-2012, 11:28 PM
Nope. No way, no how..and whoever said T-Mac is a Hall of Famer..need more hardware. Hardware counts more than you think. Championships, MVPs, DPOY. Carter and T-Mac were just Carmelos. Stars that can score the ball but can't really contribute in any other ways on a consistent basis. They're not winners. T-Mac made it past the first round..once maybe?

spreadeagle
09-09-2012, 11:34 PM
Spread, did you seriously say Griffin is better dunker than Vinsanity? how old were you in late 90s and early 2000s?

in 29 and have watched probably 90% of Raps games since they entered the league...I know Wince Carter well...I like the power dunks Griffin throws down. I mean of course Vince is better with his body of work but I think if Blake keeps it up he will be the best one day

meloman1592
09-09-2012, 11:37 PM

No...just no

spreadeagle
09-09-2012, 11:41 PM
No...just no

looks like im the lone man on this one haha

Sevilla91
09-09-2012, 11:42 PM
Players in the hall didnt take games off

I Rock Shaqs
09-10-2012, 12:04 AM

Did you really just say that Griffin is a better dunker the VC?? LOL

naps
09-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Did you really just say that Griffin is a better dunker the VC?? LOL

This has become the topic of this thread haha...such a ridiculous statement though.

Munkeysuit
09-10-2012, 01:02 AM
Yes

curtcocaine
09-10-2012, 01:10 AM
Yes

curtcocaine
09-10-2012, 01:13 AM
Players in the hall didnt take games off

MJ dumbass he went to the mlb state facts you can support or shut the hell up
:facepalm:

Kashmir13579
09-10-2012, 01:22 AM
MJ dumbass he went to the mlb state facts you can support or shut the hell up
:facepalm:
:laugh:

ThuglifeJ
09-10-2012, 02:29 AM
i love these threads. ALWAYS 2-3 guys hovering over the entire thread to MAKE SURE no one thinks VC or Tmac are HOFers for there hate/jealousy? idk what it is over these guys.

Vince will get in easily so those naive posters never really bother me though. Easily he had such a big impact on the league, him n AI were the most popular players when they were in there prime.

Not to mention if you look at the all time scoring list. Vince would stand out like crazy. Anyone who looks at that list would be like why is this guy not highlighted but everyone surrounding him and behind him is?

I wish VC stayed in Toronto so there would be no hate/doubters but that's the way it is..he should still retire his jersey in Tdot even though I liked his Jersey career a lot..when ppl think VC they think of him in the Purple raptors jersey with Jordan-esque moves. Even Nets fans im sure..

I gaurantee basketball fans will remember VC for the ages, he'll be remembered more than a good amount of the HOF list. And yes that has to do a lot with his dunks..which does mean something.. when pre-VC a decent (at the time amazing) windmill in a game was talked about everywhere.. then VC came and you were overwhelmed with his ability. next thing you know anything but a VC dunk is no longer mind-boggling.

i didnt wanna rant but the first 2 pages were so annoying to read.

VC HOF easy. Tmac should make it. AI easy. STOP HATING ON LEGENDS there all like practically retired now so you can give them there respect for once.

and if i need to throw out some things for ppl trying to make a case. 8x all star, 21/4/5 stats, about to pass Larry Bird on all-time scoring list, playoff performance vs AI sixers? trading 50 pt games was the best thing ive ever seen, arguably the most exciting talent to play in his prime!

ThuglifeJ
09-10-2012, 02:37 AM
Carlisle even laughed when they asked him about VC making the HOF saying hes of course a hall of fame player.

I agree he should have retired after last season but lets remember VC. HOF includes college career.. and i might be wrong but im pretty sure he has the most all star votes anyones ever gotten in NBA.

I want someone to name how many players in the 20,000 club aren't in the HOF. I think it's 2, and they can still get in. just saying...pretty clear he's not gonna randomly be the one to not make it when his body of work is better than others in there

JStub22
09-10-2012, 02:44 AM
In today's day and age, there are a lot better athlete. Vince Carter was a great basketball player but I think if Robert Horry and his 7 rings aren't in the HOF, then why should VC and his lack of effort(self-admitted, by the way) be in the HOF? He quit on his team, he never got anywhere and he was a selfish player. Below 80% FT shooter, this guy's stats are all fluff. Al Jefferson beasted it up in Minnesota for awhile but some players just don't have the it factor that should get you into the HOF. Vince Carter was sick to watch, but he just doesn't have that.

jam
09-10-2012, 02:51 AM
If 'Nique got voted in, then so should Vince.

ThuglifeJ
09-10-2012, 03:40 AM
no one has there own opinions anymore they just regurgitate what theyve heard.

1. lol at 80% FT shooter meaning anything
2. lol at Vince being a selfish player. out of all the players ive been a fan of VC is the least selfish. Hes too unselfish which was a flaw at times when he tried to let the team do work when he could have done more at times.

just shut up. wheres some knowledgable nba fans here. over 20.

Shareeb_omac2
09-10-2012, 03:51 AM
He will make it based on his numbers but it will be down the road.

JStub22
09-10-2012, 04:42 AM
Defend your obvious favorite player. Such a homer. VC is a quitter, just like LeBron quit on the Cavs. He's a choke and fades when the game is on the line. That's not being unselfish, that's being a quitter. He's a stat fluffer and always has been.

Talk about being knowledgeable with a name like 'Thug Life'. Not to mention the atrocious spelling/grammar/lack of punctuation. Actual IQ translates into Sports IQ, my friend and pro ball is much, much different than playing on the playground with the other 12-year-olds. Go back to school.

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2012, 12:40 PM
Poll?

I would not vote for any player who I know intentionally went on the court and tanked their performance. It is a disgrace to the HOF to have a guy like Carter in there along side guys who have always busted their @$$e$ off regardless of where they were and where they wanted to be.

monty77
09-10-2012, 01:02 PM
When I see the subject of this forum my first impulse was to say "no". However, there are some reason to say "yes" if we check his career out.

First of all, Vince Carter is (arguably) the best player making dunks in history. I am sure the best scorer, the best rebounder, the best blocker, the best passer... all are part of Hall of Famer, so maybe is unfair leave out Vince Carter.

Secondly... Vince is the best player in the history of Raptors. He play 7 years here, averaging +20 pts/game. It's true that Raptor exist since 1995, and only has played here players like McGrady, Bosh, Bargnani... but I think this another reason for.

Thirdly... although I recognize that Carter never had been a decisive player to win a championship, he did a god job in Toronto and New Jersey, averaging +20 points each year. We must consider he's already close to 1000 games, and average 21,4pts despite of the last 4 years he has not reached the 16pts.

Dunk contest 2000 in Oakland was a historical moment of the NBA so I believe that we must be grateful with the main character.

Gram
09-10-2012, 01:19 PM
Vince Carter.

Toronto_Fan
09-10-2012, 01:40 PM
It was not his fault that he was stuck in Toronto and that he was a Net after they were good.

Actually besides being drafted by Toronto, it was his fault he was stuck there. He didn't have to sign the big money long term contract after his initial draft signing deal expired.

My answer to your question though is a resounding NO.
He has never had the heart of a champion... not even close.

I would argue vehemently that even though many players have been inducted into the HOF without any championship rings, they still had the heart and desire to try their best. Vince Carter does not and has never qualified under these guidelines.

ThuglifeJ
09-10-2012, 01:51 PM
@Jstubb, That was such a stupid ****ing post. Of course I'm going to defend one of my favorite iconic players. Like I just *****ed about, you are just spewing a popular consensus because majority of you dont know **** about Carter's career other than that because he's been on a non-televised Nets team. You guys will always throw out he quit on his Raptor team and ignore any other aspect of his career.

and how was it like Lebron? I hated that Carter left Toronto, but at least he was man enough to say he didn't wanna be there anymore rather then pretend everything was peachy, give up vs the Celtics in the playoffs and then have an hour ESPN special about how hes been tampering with Dwayne Wade and Bosh to make a superteam.

and dont give me **** about my grammer on a public forum, not everyones from some rich suburb like you where they get slapped with a ruler if they dont have proper grammer every time they write.

and another regurgitation? He fades when games on the line? I'm not for using youtube videos to support an argument but he has like a 8 minute video of all his game winning shots.

He has everything needed except a championship which is understandable with the rosters he's been on in his prime days.

I'll never defend him leaving Toronto, though his team did suck n his management/coaching sucked, but I confidently say he's easily a HOFer eventually. Any iconic basketball player is going to be a HOFer... or like I said just go look at the all-time scoring list. Plus they'll consider his College, Olympic time.

but actually you're right my 2pac reference in "Thuglife" totally means I have no right to argue on this topic.

The goods
09-10-2012, 02:05 PM
Maybe Vince only because he's the best dunker ever,but not t mac.

Stinkyoutsider
09-10-2012, 02:06 PM
Whoa now, lets not say that Carter was a better dunker than Wilkins now. IMO, if anything, both are close to each other in that department. Carter is better than dunkers like Shawn Kemp but I wouldn't say he's better than Wilkins...

I think Carter should make the hall of fame though. Very good numbers but in addition to that, he made a huge impact in Toronto. I still remember when he was throwing up 50 point games.

I think Carter and McGrady have good chances, but I think a lot of the voting journalists will vote Carter in first because he was more popular to the casual fan.

diu9leilomo
09-10-2012, 02:18 PM
lol..VC dunking is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than griffin. If u question that u know nothing about dunking.
Dude has tremendous hang time, vertical, flexiblity, and power. Its a thing of beauty.

probably gerald green is comparable to VC and its not even close.

ink
09-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Dunk contest HOF. No joke.

Miltstar
09-10-2012, 03:19 PM
VC put the Raptors on the map. Without him they probably would have gone the way of the Vancouver Grizzlies. Unfortunately I was at the game when he first hurt his knee. He was never the same player after that. And all the crying he did really hurt his reputation. I don't believe there has ever been a more popular non NHL athlete in Canada than Vince Carter though. Dude had ups!

ink
09-10-2012, 03:27 PM
VC put the Raptors on the map. Without him they probably would have gone the way of the Vancouver Grizzlies. Unfortunately I was at the game when he first hurt his knee. He was never the same player after that. And all the crying he did really hurt his reputation. I don't believe there has ever been a more popular non NHL athlete in Canada than Vince Carter though. Dude had ups!

- Roberto Alomar
- Joe Carter
- Warren Moon
- Roy Halladay
- Paul Molitor
- Dave Winfield
- Moseby, Barfield, Bell

One thing I'll give you though is that if he somehow reconciles with the Raptors organization and they pull the sentimental vote to try to get a Raptors player into the HOF, he'd probably go on those grounds. But as a player he just doesn't measure up. The year BEFORE he arrived in NJ they went to the finals, when he got there they didn't. The year BEFORE he arrived in ORL they went to the finals, when he got there he busted. The year BEFORE he arrived in DAL they won the championship, when he got there ... maybe that's not all on him but he definitely has not been a difference maker as most HOFers were.

Kashmir13579
09-10-2012, 04:17 PM
Carlisle even laughed when they asked him about VC making the HOF saying hes of course a hall of fame player.

I agree he should have retired after last season but lets remember VC. HOF includes college career.. and i might be wrong but im pretty sure he has the most all star votes anyones ever gotten in NBA.

I want someone to name how many players in the 20,000 club aren't in the HOF. I think it's 2, and they can still get in. just saying...pretty clear he's not gonna randomly be the one to not make it when his body of work is better than others in there

5 that aren't active players.

Alayla
09-10-2012, 04:28 PM
"stuck in Toronto" being the biggest thing in basketball for many years... because his time with the Nets Magic and Suns and Mavs were oh so glorious right? you knob

he actually played very well for the nets the team just had no quality bigs at all ofc you cant contend that way. Magic well past his prime but if you watched was still a very strong number 2 option for that team.
The suns is where it really fell off didnt do well there but once again well past his peak and as for the mavs ask any mavs fan out there and hes been a pleasant surpise for them the amount of bounce he has left at his age for the type of player he is just crazy. people need to stop punishing players for not winning in this game basketball is a TEAM game and as an indivual player there was a near 7 year span where he was a top 5 to 10 player in the nba to me that screams HOF

netsgiantsyanks
09-10-2012, 04:35 PM

:laugh2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMrPjl-927Q

now stop it.

Kashmir13579
09-10-2012, 04:38 PM

now stop it.

He should go into the HOF just for that.

Lakerfan In NY
09-10-2012, 04:43 PM
NO. I can't say I consider VC in the line of magic, Bird, or jordan. He was/is a great player but not a HOFer

Alayla
09-10-2012, 04:53 PM
In today's day and age, there are a lot better athlete. Vince Carter was a great basketball player but I think if Robert Horry and his 7 rings aren't in the HOF, then why should VC and his lack of effort(self-admitted, by the way) be in the HOF? He quit on his team, he never got anywhere and he was a selfish player. Below 80% FT shooter, this guy's stats are all fluff. Al Jefferson beasted it up in Minnesota for awhile but some players just don't have the it factor that should get you into the HOF. Vince Carter was sick to watch, but he just doesn't have that.

Did you really just compare robert horry to VC? they are in 2 completely different stratospheres

Alayla
09-10-2012, 04:55 PM
NO. I can't say I consider VC in the line of magic, Bird, or jordan. He was/is a great player but not a HOFer

there is more to the HOF then those 3.. you dont have to consider him in that line more in the line of clyde the glide or pippin if your taking individual ability

netsgiantsyanks
09-10-2012, 04:56 PM

robert horry was a good player, but just went to the right team at the right time. let him enjoy his rings, but he will not be in the hall of fame.

NYKnicks4511
09-10-2012, 05:27 PM

Griffin is nowhere close. Dominique threw down with power, but Vince threw down with a different kind of ferocity when he was in his prime. Seriously from '99-'02 he was killing the game, and he probably had the best dunk contest performance ever.

AK-50
09-10-2012, 05:32 PM
vince carter in his prime was a dunking highlight reel whenever he played i dont think that will get him in alone but we will have to see

BGates29
09-10-2012, 05:36 PM
Hell no

jam
09-10-2012, 11:17 PM
22K points are not easily dismissed. One could also make a very strong case that Vince was the most impressive in-game and exhibition dunker in league history.

WeaponXXX
09-11-2012, 07:41 PM

now stop it.

damn, I miss those days. I remember I was glued on to the TV every game he played

ink
09-11-2012, 07:53 PM
damn, I miss those days. I remember I was glued on to the TV every game he played

What do you mean "those days"? There are still all kinds of shallow, unsportsmanlike and moronic plays like that one in the NBA. ;)

Kashmir13579
09-11-2012, 10:36 PM
What do you mean "those days"? There are still all kinds of shallow, unsportsmanlike and moronic plays like that one in the NBA. ;)

lol it was a 4 on 1 fastbreak..

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-13-2012, 06:47 PM
the fact that Vinsanity pretty much took over the 2000s dunk scene is enough for him to be in the HoF, top 5 flashy dunker of all time, when prime, in my opinion of course.