PDA

View Full Version : 5th Annual PSD Player Rankings #3 Player In The NBA? (Volume: V)

Mile High Champ
09-09-2012, 12:14 AM
Hey guys, Some of you may remember that for the last four years I have conducted a poll at the end of the season that had PSD users vote for the top 10 players at each position. The season is now over and the Heat have been crowned NBA champs which means its time to kick off the off-season player rankings.

A lot has changed since last season. Lebron was labelled by some as Choke Artist in the clutch and now this year had one of the greatest finals performances in recent memory. Let start the discussion since lots has changed since the start of last season. Please TRY AND VOTE FOR THE BEST PLAYER AND DON'T BE A HOMER. I will leave the poll open for two days and than we can carry on to the next best player in the league. I will add more players after each round. I have also included the results of those last 4 years so everyone can see how much things have changed...Enjoy.

REMEMBER this is based on who is the best player, not the player who has the potential to be the best

Rules of adding players to the Voting Process

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Chris Paul goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as Kobe Bryant goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list.

1) Lebron James
2) Kevin Durant
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

2011 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Lebron James
2) Dwight Howard
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dirk Nowitzki
6) Kobe Bryant
7) Kevin Durant
8) Derrick Rose
9) Deron Williams
10) Carmelo Anthony

2010 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwyane Wade
4) Kevin Durant
5) Chris Paul
6) Dwight Howard
7) Carmelo Anthony
8) Dirk Nowitzki
9) Deron Williams
10) Tim Duncan - Pau Gasol Tie

2009 Off-Season Best Player Rankings

1) Kobe Bryant
2) Lebron James
3) Dwayne Wade
4) Chris Paul
5) Dwight Howard
6) Tim Duncan
7) Dirk Nowitzki
8) Carmelo Anthony
9) Kevin Garnett
10) Brandon Roy

JNoel
09-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Kobe.

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 12:19 AM
melo should have been 2nd I dont see how durant is better the thunder are better then knicks and he is in a situation where the defense cant fully focus on him like melo because of the respect his teammates demand. Kevin Love should not be on this list

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 12:20 AM
Cp3.

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 12:21 AM
melo should have been 2nd I dont see how durant is better the thunder are better then knicks and he is in a situation where the defense cant fully focus on him like melo because of the respect his teammates demand. Kevin Love should not be on this list

4 letters

STFU

Carmelo Anthony would admit that Durant is better.

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 12:21 AM

:pity:

Mile High Champ
09-09-2012, 12:25 AM
People need to read the OP before posting...

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 12:27 AM
4 letters

STFU

Carmelo Anthony would admit that Durant is better.

U mean durant said carmelo is the best offensive player in the game

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Its between Paul and Howard for me but quite honestly Dwight's antics last season really hurts him badly in my eyesight. He theoretically should have won another DPOY or at least be the front runner but I believe a lot of his issues really cost his team in the short and the long run and for that simple reason I can't put him ahead of Paul a player who is arguably on par in terms of value/production last year.

Cal827
09-09-2012, 12:34 AM

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm:

JNoel
09-09-2012, 12:36 AM
Boo! Cp3 is way overrated.

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 12:36 AM
U mean durant said carmelo is the best offensive player in the game

And not even Carmelo is foolish enough to believe he is.

Why can't you guys simply admit someone else is better when he clearly is and move on. Someone else is better than Melo SO WHAT. Melo is still among the leagues best he's just not in Kevin Durant's class. Plain and simple.

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Boo! Cp3 is way overrated.

Says the guy who picked Kobe.

JNoel
09-09-2012, 12:40 AM
Let's face it, DWade should be on this list, not trying to be a homer, but looking at the other guys, DWade is my pick.

Kobe is much better than Cp3. Cp3 might be the best PG but he is still grossly overrated.

greg_ory_2005
09-09-2012, 01:00 AM
#TeaMelo

Sixerlover
09-09-2012, 01:05 AM

1-8 when it comes to making it out of the first round. Below average distributor. Below average defender. Not a efficient scorer. 3rd best player in the league? Stop it.

But I'm going with Dwight right here.

29$JerZ
09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Melo is the 3rd best SF, not player.
He shouldn't even sniff top 9 until he plays an entire season and post season Like a star.
I have CP3 here.

Hellcrooner
09-09-2012, 01:15 AM
voting love just to expose the flawed as hell system.

Mile High Champ
09-09-2012, 01:17 AM

:facepalm:

Sadds The Gr8
09-09-2012, 01:22 AM

http://assets.diylol.com/hfs/37a/ba8/d7a/resized/douchey-rivers-meme-generator-orly-tell-me-more-7beb36.jpg?1317775606.jpg

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 01:27 AM

Don't waste facepalms on Crooner. Join the chatzy that's way more fun :nod:

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-09-2012, 01:29 AM
#kobesystem

I was almost going to pick Dwight, but he needs to learn under both Kobe and Nash how to effectively close games down the stretch in the 4th qtr and be like Shaq and hit his FT's "when it matters".

Avenged
09-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Yeah but 1 measly vote wont make a difference at all.

Anyways,

Dwight Howard here.

Melo #2? Are we getting trolled.?

Fly
09-09-2012, 01:31 AM

:laugh2:

Hawkeye15
09-09-2012, 01:47 AM
Chris Paul.

Hawkeye15
09-09-2012, 01:49 AM
#kobesystem

I was almost going to pick Dwight, but he needs to learn under both Kobe and Nash how to effectively close games down the stretch in the 4th qtr and be like Shaq and hit his FT's "when it matters".

I have to be honest, every time I see this I die laughing..

SaimuKala
09-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Should be between Dwight and Paul.

I got Dwight here.

naps
09-09-2012, 02:20 AM
How do we know for sure #2 of one position is not better than #1 of another?

And why does it hurt to add 10 options instead of 5?

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 02:25 AM

It promotes consistency within the rankings, its MHC's system anybody who doesn't like it doesn't have to participate.

naps
09-09-2012, 02:33 AM
It promotes consistency within the rankings, its MHC's system anybody who doesn't like it doesn't have to participate.

In other words, it doesn't allow people to correct their mistakes. Good. The poll's already looking cute and beautiful.

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 02:38 AM
In other words, it doesn't allow people to correct their mistakes. Good. The poll's already looking cute and beautiful.

Like I said, whoever doesn't like it doesn't have to participate. If you wish you can create your own ranking system and see how much it gets critiqued, it's impossible to please people.

Blue_Ninja
09-09-2012, 02:40 AM
Melo shouldn't be on this list at ANY place, can we stop bringing him up? It literally is so annoying.

SaimuKala
09-09-2012, 02:47 AM
Melo shouldn't be on this list at ANY place, can we stop bringing him up? It literally is so annoying.

What's wrong with it? He is on the list but he is not going before 8-10

Blue_Ninja
09-09-2012, 03:12 AM

What's wrong with it? He is on the list but he is not going before 8-10

I don't see Melo as a top 10 player in my opinion.

naps
09-09-2012, 03:13 AM
Like I said, whoever doesn't like it doesn't have to participate. If you wish you can create your own ranking system and see how much it gets critiqued, it's impossible to please people.

Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I can't comment on it. This is a public thread and as a PSD member I have every right to criticize its flaws. Stop being so sensitive. I know it's not possible to please everyone but it's possible to make it more fair.You quoted me but didn't answer my question why it hurts to put 10 options instead of 5. Don't quote me just to say "You don't have to participate." It's just as much easy to ignore my post. I understand the system but I see flaws and I am giving my opinions on how this might look better. MHC's doesn't have to listen to me.

Baller1
09-09-2012, 03:25 AM
I voted Dwight. Although I think it's Wade.

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 03:32 AM
Just because I don't agree with something doesn't mean I can't comment on it.

Never said you did, stop putting words in my mouth.

This is a public thread and as a PSD member I have every right to criticize its flaws. Stop being so sensitive.

You're the one being sensitive, I've only answer the question that was being asked, you then proceed to misrepresent my stance on the issue and attack a point that wasn't there when I was only offering a suggested action to a general audience.

I know it's not possible to please everyone but it's possible to make it more fair.You quoted me but didn't answer my question why it hurts to put 10 options instead of 5. Don't quote me just to say "You don't have to participate." It's just as much easy to ignore my post. I understand the system but I see flaws and I am giving my opinions on how this might look better. MHC's doesn't have to listen to me.

I'm not MHC but I'd imagine it would create a slippery slope effect on this board. Why should he make a concession to you and not every other member who comes in with a complaint towards his system? A question to you monsieur naps, what would having 10 options achieve that 5 options wouldn't?

phlp_bj
09-09-2012, 04:12 AM
cp3

naps
09-09-2012, 04:20 AM
Never said you did, stop putting words in my mouth.

You keep saying "whoever doesn't like it doesn't have to participate. If you wish you can create your own ranking system." Well, I like these rankings in general but I just don't agree with this polling system. I can say that and still participate. Don't see how that hurts anyone?

You're the one being sensitive, I've only answer the question that was being asked, you then proceed to misrepresent my stance on the issue and attack a point that wasn't there when I was only offering a suggested action to a general audience.

You didn't really answer it. I already knew it's for consistency but that didn't answer my question of "How do we know for sure #2 of one position is not better than #1 of another?"

Why should he make a concession to you and not every other member who comes in with a complaint towards his system?

I can suggest whatever I want. Whether he listens or not is upto him.

A question to you monsieur naps, what would having 10 options achieve that 5 options wouldn't?

Why don't you tell me how does this hurt having 10 instead of 5? Oh wait! That would allow a voter to change his mind if he feels he made a mistake in the previous rankings? Yeah, no freedom of thoughts here.

Since you asked I will answer anyway. That would allow for corrections. Now Bynum will be in the poll (if Dwight wins) but not Wade, Dirk, or Rose. Or let's say if Melo wins then Iguodala or Pierce will be in the poll but not Wade/Dirk/Rose. How absurd is that?

NBA-GMaster
09-09-2012, 04:37 AM
CP3!! 4th Dwight, 5th Kobe, 6th Wade, 7th Melo

seikou8
09-09-2012, 07:04 AM
Let's face it, DWade should be on this list, not trying to be a homer, but looking at the other guys, DWade is my pick.

Kobe is much better than Cp3. Cp3 might be the best PG but he is still grossly overrated.

wade homer please tell me what does wade do better than cp3 except scoring same with with kobe

FraziersKnicks
09-09-2012, 07:12 AM
Chris Paul

SteBO
09-09-2012, 07:15 AM
Chris Paul here....

SteBO
09-09-2012, 07:22 AM
What part of consistency isn't being understood? There needs to be a flow to these rankings because otherwise they won't hold any water.

I don't agree with a lot of things in regards to who is ahead of who, since i know that's the bigger elephant in the room when it comes to the complaining. I for one don't need a poll to validate that Wade is a better player than Kobe at this point, but since he's better according the poll results, you have to stick to it for the future polls. Same goes for the other positions. Those asking for more options on the poll just want to make a homer vote, and MHC can't have that.

Mishmin
09-09-2012, 08:10 AM
Gotta pick Dwight, as much as I hate him.

jericho
09-09-2012, 09:52 AM

and then we knicks fan ask why psd is against us you have to stop being a homer melo is somewhere from 7-10 not top 5 he doesnt make anybody better around him all he does is shoot the ball im a knick fan 2 and is not that i hate melo but he has to make some adjustments to his game

jericho
09-09-2012, 10:09 AM

naps you looking for excuses to argue were there is none you already have a #2 that went ahead of all the other number 1s lebron went 1st than durant 2nd as soon as somebody gets voted in they add the next player to the list and if that 1 is better than the other 1s he gets voted in 2 thats not so hard to understand

now if your talking bout a number 2 under the same position that you want to vote for ahead of the number 1 sorry for you while i dont think kobe is better than wade rite now wade didnt make much of a case for himself this yr so we are still here were we at

Hustlenomics
09-09-2012, 10:58 AM
chris paul is extremely overrated on this site he's not better than Dwight

Corey
09-09-2012, 11:00 AM
chris paul is extremely overrated on this site he's not better than Dwight

We'll you've also stated that Rondo is better than CP3 in the past, so you're not exactly the most objective when it comes to assessing Chris Paul.

Anywho, Dwight was injured for half of a shortened season and made an absolute fool of himself by turning the Magic into a circus.

I'll take Paul.

xxplayerxx23
09-09-2012, 11:10 AM
Whoever loses out of Howard and Paul is def number 4, so lets skip to 5 :)

greg_ory_2005
09-09-2012, 11:14 AM
Why is Melo not leading this??? #TeaMelo is much better than those other guys.

Mile High Champ
09-09-2012, 11:22 AM
To those questioning the voting system and asking for a change; it is not going to happen. The current system is in place to add continuity to to the individual player ranking polls. In a previous year with the old system, (throwing everyone's name up there) Chris Paul finished ahead of Deron Williams on the overall player list but finished behind him the PG rankings. It is situations like this that I want to avoid. Why on earth would I want to spend so much time on these polls only to have that big of a discrepancy in the end? No thanks. Also to those complaining with Kobe being up there instead of Wade, you need to realize that Kobe won in a landslide over Wade. It was not even close so the majority have spoken. Do I agree with it, nope but it happens sometimes. Also just because Melo is up there as an option, does not mean he should be voted here and it does not make him better than say Wade. People need to relax and breathe a little.

Yanks All Day
09-09-2012, 11:31 AM
Dwyane Wade is better than every player left on the list, but if I had to pick one of them, I'd go with a healthy CP3.

jericho
09-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Dwyane Wade is better than every player left on the list, but if I had to pick one of them, I'd go with a healthy CP3.

better than dwight and cp3 no better than kobe yes but he didnt play up to that last season so kobe ahead of him rite now still not that bad dont worry he will be 6th

xxplayerxx23
09-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Kobe was ranked higher then Wade in the rankings??? wow.

Yanks All Day
09-09-2012, 11:38 AM
better than dwight and cp3 no better than kobe yes but he didnt play up to that last season so kobe ahead of him rite now still not that bad dont worry he will be 6th

I would absolutely take Wade over Howard. Chris Paul vs. Dwyane Wade is more of a debate in my mind. Both can more than hold their own on defense and still take over offensively when needed. Howard is the league's best defender, given, but cannot yet take over a game with his offense. And the fact that Kobe won the SG poll in a landslide only goes to show he has more homer fans than by far anyone on the site, LeBron James fans included. Doesn't matter, though. Chris Paul here i suppose. Easily the best point guard in basketball.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-09-2012, 11:56 AM
This should only be between CP3 and Dwight. Those two are on another level compared to the other three. CP3 did have the better season, but Dwight wasn't healthy for all of last year. Damn this is a close one.

jericho
09-09-2012, 11:56 AM
I would absolutely take Wade over Howard. Chris Paul vs. Dwyane Wade is more of a debate in my mind. Both can more than hold their own on defense and still take over offensively when needed. Howard is the league's best defender, given, but cannot yet take over a game with his offense. And the fact that Kobe won the SG poll in a landslide only goes to show he has more homer fans than by far anyone on the site, LeBron James fans included. Doesn't matter, though. Chris Paul here i suppose. Easily the best point guard in basketball.

d12 has no O i agree with you on that but on D there is no 1 close to him we all know that he lost his tittle to chandler this yr but that was more in part to the dwight drama thing going on and chandler transforming the knicks D. cp3 ill agree to disagree with you one this 1 i think cp3 is better than wade. kobe and wade debate i couldnt really careless bout them i hate them both but i can say while i think wade is better than kobe rite now!!!! he didnt have that much of a good yr to take over kobe in these 1

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 12:12 PM
You keep saying "whoever doesn't like it doesn't have to participate. If you wish you can create your own ranking system." Well, I like these rankings in general but I just don't agree with this polling system. I can say that and still participate. Don't see how that hurts anyone?

Its my suggestion not only to you but to those who are going to come after you. If you feel so strongly about the systems flaws then why would you support it?

You didn't really answer it. I already knew it's for consistency but that didn't answer my question of "How do we know for sure #2 of one position is not better than #1 of another?"

We don't, but we roll with the punches nonetheless. When making models/systems you don't make them with set variables in mind, it limits the effectiveness of that model.

I can suggest whatever I want. Whether he listens or not is upto him.

Its been well documented that he's not going to change it so why would you partake in such a useless exercise?

Why don't you tell me how does this hurt having 10 instead of 5? Oh wait! That would allow a voter to change his mind if he feels he made a mistake in the previous rankings? Yeah, no freedom of thoughts here.

Consistency; if you dilute the poll with more options, for instance adding Wade to the poll, he could possibly go ahead of Kobe when Kobe won his SG ranking fair and square.

Since you asked I will answer anyway. That would allow for corrections. Now Bynum will be in the poll (if Dwight wins) but not Wade, Dirk, or Rose. Or let's say if Melo wins then Iguodala or Pierce will be in the poll but not Wade/Dirk/Rose. How absurd is that?

Vote Kobe out to the get Wade in, simple. You wasted your vote on Kevin Love when you could have been helping your boy Wade to get into the top 5-6.

To those questioning the voting system and asking for a change; it is not going to happen. The current system is in place to add continuity to to the individual player ranking polls. In a previous year with the old system, (throwing everyone's name up there) Chris Paul finished ahead of Deron Williams on the overall player list but finished behind him the PG rankings. It is situations like this that I want to avoid. Why on earth would I want to spend so much time on these polls only to have that big of a discrepancy in the end? No thanks. Also to those complaining with Kobe being up there instead of Wade, you need to realize that Kobe won in a landslide over Wade. It was not even close so the majority have spoken. Do I agree with it, nope but it happens sometimes. Also just because Melo is up there as an option, does not mean he should be voted here and it does not make him better than say Wade. People need to relax and breathe a little.

How dare you use logic in your post. :punish:

Wade isnít better than Cp3.

Hawkeye15
09-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I mean, is anyone really arguing that it is Bron, Durant, Paul, and Dwight in any given order? I get the complaints, but this system is the most fair to get rid of the biased votes and the homers. Is it perfect? No. The only way to make it perfect is if we removed the emotional attachment of each and every one of you to your players, and made you subjective. That isn't happening, so you need someway to make sure players that have no business getting votes at a certain spot don't, and even then, if you really want to sabotage it to get your guy on there, start voting for the player in front of him, your vote will be canceled out by the valid ones.

jericho
09-09-2012, 12:31 PM

Its my suggestion not only to you but to those who are going to come after you. If you feel so strongly about the systems flaws then why would you support it?

We don't, but we roll with the punches nonetheless. When making models/systems you don't make them with set variables in mind, it limits the effectiveness of that model.

Its been well documented that he's not going to change it so why would you partake in such a useless exercise?

Consistency; if you dilute the poll with more options, for instance adding Wade to the poll, he could possibly go ahead of Kobe when Kobe won his SG ranking fair and square.

Vote Kobe out to the get Wade in, simple. You wasted your vote on Kevin Love when you could have been helping your boy Wade to get into the top 5-6.

How dare you use logic in your post. :punish:

Wade isnít better than Cp3.

I mean, is anyone really arguing that it is Bron, Durant, Paul, and Dwight in any given order? I get the complaints, but this system is the most fair to get rid of the biased votes and the homers. Is it perfect? No. The only way to make it perfect is if we removed the emotional attachment of each and every one of you to your players, and made you subjective. That isn't happening, so you need someway to make sure players that have no business getting votes at a certain spot don't, and even then, if you really want to sabotage it to get your guy on there, start voting for the player in front of him, your vote will be canceled out by the valid ones.

thank you, thank you & thank you lol

justinnum1
09-09-2012, 12:33 PM

FraziersKnicks
09-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Ignore BklynKnicks3... Most reasonable Knicks fans know Melo shouldn't be getting any votes until 8-10.

I'd like to hear any argument for why CP3 is overrated? I've seen the statement a few times, and would like to hear the reasoning behind it.

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2012, 01:51 PM
Chris Paul can score from anywhere Dwight Howard can, even if that means going to the line and draining free throws. He plays good defense at the guard position - and I dare say that playing good defense and shutting down the opponent's floor general is just as important as Howard plugging up the middle. In addition, Paul can run an offense better than any point guard in the NBA.

DR_1
09-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Dwight, cp3 is being very overrated

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2012, 02:00 PM
CP3!! 4th Dwight, 5th Kobe, 6th Wade, 7th Melo

Even with his so-so decision making at times, I'd say Russell Westbrook is more talented and valuable than Dwayne Wade at this point. Of course, I also think that Westbrook and Kevin Love should go ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

FraziersKnicks
09-09-2012, 02:03 PM

Care to explain why you think CP3's overrated?

Where would you have him? Behind Rose?

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Chris Paul can score from anywhere Dwight Howard can, even if that means going to the line and draining free throws. He plays good defense at the guard position - and I dare say that playing good defense and shutting down the opponent's floor general is just as important as Howard plugging up the middle. In addition, Paul can run an offense better than any point guard in the NBA.

Lol not even close.

Even with his so-so decision making at times, I'd say Russell Westbrook is more talented and valuable than Dwayne Wade at this point. Of course, I also think that Westbrook and Kevin Love should go ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

+1

Do you even have to ask?

SaimuKala
09-09-2012, 02:10 PM

He is inconsistant.. but it's close between him and Dwight.

StarvingKnick22
09-09-2012, 02:14 PM
I love Chris Paul, but this should go to Dwight.

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 02:18 PM

How is he inconsistent? Do you think Dwight was more consistent this season?

Bruno
09-09-2012, 02:19 PM

With all due respect, that doesn't stop the NBA from changing the way they select DPOY, or the all defensive team. If its good enough for the NBA, shouldn't it be good enough for PSD?

In 2012 Tyson Chandler won Defensive Player of the Year, yet he was selected to the Defensive Second Team (Howard took the C spot on the first team). In 1995 Dikembe Mutombo won the DPOY, yet he was included on the Defensive Second Team instead of the first team.

The NBA is a national multi-billion dollar industry, and nobody seems to care about that lack of consistency; most of the time the system works itself out.

Right or wrong, your system has resulted in threads being 25% filled with complaints, instead of discussion about basketball. that is a far bigger problem than 'we don't have consistency in the rankings', as far as I'm concerned, especially since the NBA doesn't share the same concern regarding the consistency of awards. :shrug: I'm done arguing which method would be the best, but there's not denying that your method leads to partially derailed threads, which is unfortunate. it is what it is. ultimately, you put in the work to create the threads, and you decide. i respect that, this is just my two cents, since nobody will shut up about the ranking system.

(yes, i understand why we do it this way).

Bruno
09-09-2012, 02:22 PM
really though vote here. i can't decide.

Paul wasn't great in the playoffs. he shot 36.8% against the Spurs and averaged 4.5 turnovers per game. Howard was injured and didn't have a post-season. Kobe was inferior to Paul in the regular season, but had a better post-season. Love had a great regular season. this one is just a tough call.

mrblisterdundee
09-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Lol not even close.

Putting "lol" in your post doesn't make your argument any better, and it doesn't change the fact that on many teams, shutting down the opponent's point guard - and thus shutting down ball movement - is more important than simply plugging up the middle.

FraziersKnicks
09-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Please elaborate

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Putting "lol" in your post doesn't make your argument any better,

I laughed out loud when I read it. :shrug:

and it doesn't change the fact that on many teams, shutting down the opponent's point guard - and thus shutting down ball movement - is more important than simply plugging up the middle.

Poppycock, if player A is 6'0 and player B is 7'0 give or take, with all other factors being equal then player B will always have a larger impact on a teams defense by nature of size alone. It's just common sense, Chris Paul is one of the best defensive pgs in the league but the actual impact that he has on defense is easily dwarfed by the one D12 provides.

Corey
09-09-2012, 02:38 PM

How is Paul being overrated?

Tysons_Beard
09-09-2012, 02:53 PM
I voted for melo:eyebrow:, but it should be dwade

Avenged
09-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Not a good argument, really.. Dwight is a Center, Paul is a point guard, obviously Dwight doesn't have the range that CP3 does. If we are ranking players based on this then Dwight (and perhaps any other Center as well) would not be ranked very high.

Chris Paul does have a strong case here, though. Best PG in the league, good defender, good offensively, highly efficient.. His playoffs weren't that impressive as we are accustomed though. Too bad Dwight was injured. That could have either swayed more votes for him or taken them away.

jericho
09-09-2012, 04:31 PM
With all due respect, that doesn't stop the NBA from changing the way they select DPOY, or the all defensive team. If its good enough for the NBA, shouldn't it be good enough for PSD?

In 2012 Tyson Chandler won Defensive Player of the Year, yet he was selected to the Defensive Second Team (Howard took the C spot on the first team). In 1995 Dikembe Mutombo won the DPOY, yet he was included on the Defensive Second Team instead of the first team.

The NBA is a national multi-billion dollar industry, and nobody seems to care about that lack of consistency; most of the time the system works itself out.

Right or wrong, your system has resulted in threads being 25% filled with complaints, instead of discussion about basketball. that is a far bigger problem than 'we don't have consistency in the rankings', as far as I'm concerned, especially since the NBA doesn't share the same concern regarding the consistency of awards. :shrug: I'm done arguing which method would be the best, but there's not denying that your method leads to partially derailed threads, which is unfortunate. it is what it is. ultimately, you put in the work to create the threads, and you decide. i respect that, this is just my two cents, since nobody will shut up about the ranking system.

with all due respect not everybody agrees with the nba on that 1 plus the 25% that are arguing bout it its just 2 or 3 people all the other 1s are ok with it. another thing this is psd there is always gonna be posters arguing a lot of us are homers a lot of us use more common sense. so it doesnt matter what type of thread we all gonna start there is always gonna be some of us arguing there is no stoping that

we cant please everyone

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 04:39 PM
I wonder if Bholly and Bruno will be going at it again this year?

Swashcuff
09-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Thanks for proving why MHC's system is even less flawed. You actually streghtne MHC's case by making a point like this. The NBA system has showed clear inconsistencies and anyone who knows anything about basketball knows how flawed the NBA voting system is. It's a JOKE.

I don't know if you noticed but the only people harping about the system are those that have a homer based agenda. I'd rather have 25% of the posts being idiots arguing about the system over 50% of the VOTES being ridiculous homer votes. This system is better.

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 05:12 PM
kevin love more vote he melo smh people need to go to the checkers or chess forum damn clowns

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 05:14 PM
and then we knicks fan ask why psd is against us you have to stop being a homer melo is somewhere from 7-10 not top 5 he doesnt make anybody better around him all he does is shoot the ball im a knick fan 2 and is not that i hate melo but he has to make some adjustments to his game

i said melo was top 3 when he was on denver know this history of my posts before u run ur mouth

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Kevin love the upgraded david lee in the talk for top 5 lol when his team is below 500

jericho
09-09-2012, 05:32 PM

Thanks for proving why MHC's system is even less flawed. You actually streghtne MHC's case by making a point like this. The NBA system has showed clear inconsistencies and anyone who knows anything about basketball knows how flawed the NBA voting system is. It's a JOKE.

I don't know if you noticed but the only people harping about the system are those that have a homer based agenda. I'd rather have 25% of the posts being idiots arguing about the system over 50% of the VOTES being ridiculous homer votes. This system is better.

Again thank you all I'm doing is thanking people today lol

jericho
09-09-2012, 05:36 PM

i said melo was top 3 when he was on denver know this history of my posts before u run ur mouthooo

I'm no stalker and I don't need to go thru all your posts to know tha your a homer cuz your name says Knicks on it plus you think that melo is a top 3 player which everybody knows he doesn't belong in this convo at all I'm done with ya have a good 1 believing that our beloved Knicks are gonna win 1 as currently constructed hopefully they prove me wrong and ima still cheer for them regardless

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 06:58 PM
melo is top 5 easy 2nd best arguably id say he is better then durant if durant was a knick i dont think Amare is top 25 any more and he is a knick

DR_1
09-09-2012, 07:06 PM
How is Paul being overrated?

"very" was the wrong word, sorry. I'd have him at like 6, which IMO is a big difference than 3

unleashthebeast
09-09-2012, 07:24 PM
melo is top 5 easy 2nd best arguably id say he is better then durant if durant was a knick i dont think Amare is top 25 any more and he is a knick

Umm, what? :speechless:

Durant willed his team to an NBA final birth. He is the best offensive player in this game today. Melo is no where NEAR Durant. Melo shouldnt make this list until at least #10, preferably #12

FraziersKnicks
09-09-2012, 07:28 PM
"very" was the wrong word, sorry. I'd have him at like 6, which IMO is a big difference than 3

Who would you have ahead of him?

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Who would you have ahead of him?

Derrick Rose, who else?

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 08:04 PM
really though vote here. i can't decide.

Paul wasn't great in the playoffs. he shot 36.8% against the Spurs and averaged 4.5 turnovers per game. Howard was injured and didn't have a post-season. Kobe was inferior to Paul in the regular season, but had a better post-season. Love had a great regular season. this one is just a tough call.

This is less close of a call than Durant over CP3.

goose14741
09-09-2012, 08:38 PM
Kobe duh

Hawkeye15
09-09-2012, 09:13 PM
kevin love more vote he melo smh people need to go to the checkers or chess forum damn clowns

I would take Love over Melo 10/10 times.

BklynKnicks3
09-09-2012, 09:39 PM
I would take Love over Melo 10/10 times.

and u would miss playoffs 10 out of 10 times

naps
09-09-2012, 09:49 PM

Don't say that here. I want Kobe to remain as long as possible just to see Wade get out of the top 5/7. The list would gain a lot of credibility ;)

JNoel
09-09-2012, 10:32 PM
chris paul is extremely overrated on this site he's not better than dwight

+11111111111111

JNoel
09-09-2012, 10:42 PM
Even with his so-so decision making at times, I'd say Russell Westbrook is more talented and valuable than Dwayne Wade at this point Of course, I also think that Westbrook and Kevin Love should go ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You've got to be absolutely kidding. You have to be the ultimate casual fan if you think Westbrick is any better than Wade. Wade is the third best player, and the OP failed to realize it mostly adding the big-market team players just to kiss-up to those respective fans. Wade is currently better than every player listed including Chris Paul, one exception might be Dwight. Don't give me BS about stats, look at the pre big-3 era then come at me with stats. Some of these posts make me sick.

I Rock Shaqs
09-09-2012, 11:16 PM
Voted for Dwight Howard but why in the fudge is Dwyane Wade not there? Kevin Love though? CMON SON

Kashmir13579
09-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Kevin Love is underrated on here, Kobe hasn't been elite Kobe for a few years, Wade should be on the poll.

cuttydoesit6
09-09-2012, 11:42 PM
give me a healthy d rose all day at 3

I Rock Shaqs
09-10-2012, 12:22 AM
Kevin Love is underrated on here, Kobe hasn't been elite Kobe for a few years, Wade should be on the poll.
When that player is on a team that is trash I don't under rate them. Also that may have came off mean so srry for that lol.

soundjunkies2
09-10-2012, 12:37 AM
Voted for Dwight Howard but why in the fudge is Dwyane Wade not there? Kevin Love though? CMON SON

Rules of adding players to the Voting Process

In terms of adding players to the poll, it will be done like this.

As soon as Chris Paul goes off the board, I will add other PG's.
As soon as Kobe Bryant goes off the board, I will add other SG's
As soon as Kevin Love goes off the board, I will add other PF's.

And so on and so on..

This is to ensure that players that won their respective positions get a higher place in the list.

Thats why.

Avenged
09-10-2012, 12:43 AM
Kevin Love needs to at the very least make it to the playoffs.. As an 8th seed if he has to but for me to vote for him or anyone in the top 5, I think making the playoffs is fair.

jericho
09-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Even with his so-so decision making at times, I'd say Russell Westbrook is more talented and valuable than Dwayne Wade at this point Of course, I also think that Westbrook and Kevin Love should go ahead of Carmelo Anthony.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

You've got to be absolutely kidding. You have to be the biggest casual fan ever if you think Westbrick is any better than Wade. Wade is the third best player, and the OP failed to realize it mostly adding the big-market team players just for the sake of the posters on PSD's happiness. Wade is currently better than every player listed including Chris Paul, one exception might be Dwight. Don't give me BS about stats, look at the pre big-3 era then come at me with stats. Some of these posts make me sick.

First thing we talking bout this past yr so there is no reason for us to go back b4 the big 3 era to vote wade in. Second the voting system in place doesn't have the big market players it has the top seated player available for each of the positions that were already voted in by everybody else. 3rd wade was not better than cp3 and I wld even say d12 this past yr. so from what I've notice the only 1s that keep on arguing bout this system are heat fans trying to vote for wade don't worry he will get his turn and he will get in the top 10 b4 melo and love that are on the list rite now so just stop crying bout it and vote already
Cp3 or d12 in the next 2 then Kobe then wade viola that's how it's probably gonna go take it easy and play with the system

naps
09-10-2012, 12:52 AM
I've notice the only 1s that keep on arguing bout this system are heat fans trying to vote for wade

Your noticing power has no value whatsoever. Just go back to previous page to see what I'm talking about.

jericho
09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I've notice the only 1s that keep on arguing bout this system are heat fans trying to vote for wade

Your noticing power has no value whatsoever. Just go back to previous page to see what I'm talking about.

I've been reading and posting on these thread this whole day so I do know what's going on you guys have to play with the system which I think is good cuz it gets all the homer votes away just cuz melo and love are available now doesn't mean that they are gonna get voted in b4 wade but all the other players have good cases to be votede b4 him

tredigs
09-10-2012, 01:00 AM
Advanced stats and data mined game logs have rendered the "but Kobe's Clutch!" contingent speechless. And for that I am eternally grateful.

#3 goes Cp3. Probably the actual best basketball player in the NBA - one of the best ever. Just not quite as physically/athletically gifted as other greats.

Munkeysuit
09-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Kobester ...still doin the damn thang

JasonJohnHorn
09-10-2012, 12:35 PM
This poll should have been closed when CP3 was still in the lead! Dwight had an awful season! No way was he the third best player in the league this year... come on smart people... vote for CP3! I feel like taking my vote away from Love and giving it to CP3 now :-( lol

Hawkeye15
09-10-2012, 02:07 PM
Kevin Love needs to at the very least make it to the playoffs.. As an 8th seed if he has to but for me to vote for him or anyone in the top 5, I think making the playoffs is fair.

Hell I am a Wolves fan and I agree with that. I won't be voting for Love until #6-7 in all likelihood.

JordansBulls
09-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Dwight

BklynKnicks3
09-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Kevin love shouldnt even be a option until u get to guys like bosh. If iam starting a team i might take aldridge over him. People will learn when twolves become decent loves number will go down to like 20 ppg nowhere near top 5. As much as i hate the flopping wade he is still in the diccussion for 3-10 not love.

xxplayerxx23
09-10-2012, 03:04 PM
^ :facepalm: Love is amazing, he spreads the floor and outrebounds just about anyone. I have him as the 7th. If anybody shouldn't be in the top 5 discussion its Melo.

mjm07
09-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I voted Dwight. Although I think it's Wade.

This.

Aleksandar
09-10-2012, 03:30 PM
First off, I support the voting system. Probably not ideal, but very good none the less.

Second, I voted for Kobe here. He is aging, but he still has the character which made him such a champion. He's just a born winner, and that's the advantage he has over any other player in the league.

Howard might be a better player at this point, but he had injuries and off court things last year, so I don't really feel comfortable putting him in front of Kobe.

As for Chris Paul, I just don't see him as number 3, sorry.

Iggz53
09-10-2012, 03:54 PM
Well if it's not Wade, I'll go Dwight

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 04:21 PM
This poll should have been closed when CP3 was still in the lead! Dwight had an awful season! No way was he the third best player in the league this year... come on smart people... vote for CP3! I feel like taking my vote away from Love and giving it to CP3 now :-( lol

How about CP3 trying staying healthy for a change. He was injury prone in his last couple of yrs with NOLA, and now in his first yr with the Clipps. He has some serious durability issues, much like Wade.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I guess Dwight will win this poll, fair enough.

Andrew32
09-10-2012, 04:49 PM
What is this garbage?

Wade is better then Kobe... and he isn't even on the list?

I'm not voting.

Kashmir13579
09-10-2012, 04:52 PM
What is this garbage?

Wade is better then Kobe and he isn't even on the list?

I'm not voting.

I think i'm done too.

DR_1
09-10-2012, 05:34 PM
:laugh: Wade isn't even in Kobe's league. Did you see him on the playoffs? That run was all LeBron and Bosh

xxplayerxx23
09-10-2012, 07:00 PM
:confused: Yeah Kobes 42 percent shooting holy **** flawless.

DR_1
09-10-2012, 07:05 PM
No player is flawless (no pun intended ;))

SteBO
09-10-2012, 07:07 PM
:laugh: Wade isn't even in Kobe's league. Did you see him on the playoffs? That run was all LeBron and Bosh
You know that's a stretch.....not in his league? Really? Kobe doesn't do anything different from Wade at this point and he isn't nearly as efficient as Wade has been throughout his career.

justinnum1
09-10-2012, 07:41 PM

jerellh528
09-10-2012, 10:32 PM
wade is not as good as kobe..

JNoel
09-10-2012, 11:19 PM
Wade is better than Kobe.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
For those *****ing about Kobe being on the poll and not Wade...

:dance:

JNoel
09-10-2012, 11:32 PM
:horse:

jerellh528
09-10-2012, 11:54 PM
Wade is better than Kobe.

my sig applies for wade vs kobe too if you are interested...

Andrew32
09-11-2012, 06:54 AM
Did you see him on the playoffs? That run was all LeBron and Bosh
Uhh... what?
Removing 1-2 stinkers Wade was putting up 24 / 5 / 5apg / 1.7spg / 1.3bpg on 48% shooting in the playoffs with elite defense including some dominant games against Indiana and Boston.

They might not even get past Indiana without him let alone Boston.

Wade "to me" was clearly a better player then Kobe last year.

Wade had slightly lesser box score stats but he didn't dominate the ball the way Kobe did and he was vastly more efficient / consistent and that is not even mentioning the enormous advantage Wade has on the defensive end.

Kobe put up slightly bigger "box score stats" because he dominates the ball and shoots constantly but his inefficiency and ball dominance lowers his offensive impact dramatically.

Wade was more impactful last year on both ends of the floor and was clearly the better player.
Kobe is fools gold.

Kobe is still a great player... but not on Wade's level anymore.
With Wade returning back healthy this season I don't even think it'll be close anymore.

JNoel
09-11-2012, 07:15 AM
my sig applies for wade vs kobe too if you are interested...

Come talk to me when Wade is taking 40 shots per game.

SaimuKala
09-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Uhh... what?
Removing 1-2 stinkers Wade was putting up 24 / 5 / 5apg / 1.7spg / 1.3bpg on 48% shooting in the playoffs with elite defense including some dominant games against Indiana and Boston.

Wade had slightly lesser box score stats but he didn't dominate the ball the way Kobe did and he was vastly more efficient / consistent and that is not even mentioning the enormous advantage Wade has on the defensive end.

Kobe put up slightly bigger "box score stats" because he dominates the ball and shoots constantly but his inefficiency and ball dominance lowers his offensive impact dramatically.

Wade was more impactful last year on both ends of the floor and was clearly the better player.
Kobe is fools gold.

With Wade returning back healthy this season I don't even think it'll be close anymore.

Oh, now we are removing games.

Removing the 41 points game he averages like 39 mpg 21.5 - 5 - 4.3 on .450% shooting 72% free throws .294% 3pointers.

And after the first 2 rounds. He absolutely sucked.

Andrew32
09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
And after the first 2 rounds. He absolutely sucked.

Really? :facepalm:

Wade was great against Boston who chose to double him heavily instead of Lebron.

In the first two games against Boston (both wins) Wade averaged.
23 / 5 / 6apg on 57% shooting with 1spg and 2bpg.

In the final give games he averaged 21 / 6 / 5apg on 41% shooting.
He shot poorly in 2/5 games (1 win / 1 loss) but shot above 45% in the other 3/5 games.
His production stayed consistent though as did his elite defense.

In the critical G7 he dropped 23 / 6 / 6 on 56%TS.
__________________________________________________ _____

In the Finals he averaged 23 / 6 / 5 with elite defense on 44% shooting.
He was very good against OKC and he was the Heat's PG in the first 3 games averaging 7apg over them.

Kobe was inconsistent in the playoffs.

Had a few isolated impressive scoring games which raised his averaged impressively due to the small sample size of his playoff run but he also dominated the ball and played selfishly in some of them.
He also bombed epically against OKC and played terribly down the stretch of games throughout the playoffs while Wade consistently played well in the clutch and down the stretch of games constantly making huge plays in key moments.

What Wade did over his entire run was far more impressive then what Kobe did in a much smaller sample size especially considering how bad he choked/played in the elimination series against OKC.

Swashcuff
09-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Uhh... what?

Kobe is fools gold.

While I do agree that Wade is better than Kobe this whole "remove the bad game" argument is one of the worst anyone can possibly attempt to make for a player. That's a ridiculous argument.

Andrew32
09-11-2012, 09:37 AM
While I do agree that Wade is better than Kobe this whole "remove the bad game" argument is one of the worst anyone can possibly attempt to make for a player. That's a ridiculous argument.

Fair enough.
I can respect that.

Sometimes though its useful to separate games when you're looking at a small sample size since they can make a player look better or worse then they actually were.

Swashcuff
09-11-2012, 10:07 AM
Fair enough.
I can respect that.

Sometimes though its useful to separate games when you're looking at a small sample size since they can make a player look better or worse then they actually were.

Problem with that argument is that guys would just expose the fact that the bad games have been excluded and that's not how it works. I believe Wade was injured/deferring as a result of injury and that's the main reason why we saw him play as badly as he did. Its not an excuse its an observation from watching him play since the first day he came into the league.

His #s were still better than Kobe's despite being injured to start and finish the season and getting off to one of the worst starts of his career. Based on that alone I'd say Wade was better but when you consider Wade's D vs Kobe's D I really think its not much of an argument but despite being Flash last season Wade didn't seem to have more Flash/Flair than Kobe and as a result didn't win the #1 SG poll.

BklynKnicks3
09-11-2012, 12:35 PM
ok at least melo has one more vote then david lee lol i mean kevin love

jerellh528
09-11-2012, 03:13 PM

In their careers kobe only averages 1.6 more shots then wade :rolleyes:

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-11-2012, 03:21 PM

He'd probably break down before 20.

theheatles
09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
chris paul and wade should round out the top 5 but with this position block...it's wack