PDA

View Full Version : ESPN NBA Franchise Rankings

mrblisterdundee
09-07-2012, 05:12 PM
ESPN The Magazine ranked all the top sports franchises (http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8339695/oklahoma-city-thunder-ranked-best-franchise-sports-ultimate-standings-espn-magazine) (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) based on management of the team, relations with the fans and how good the performance is compared to the payroll. To me, it's no surprise that small-market franchises do a better job of using their money wisely and forming a community trust in their franchises:

1. Okahoma City Thunder
3. San Antonio Spurs
4. Indiana Pacers
5. Memphis Grizzlies
20. Boston Celtics
21. Philadelphia 76ers
24. Chicago Bulls
26. Dallas Mavericks
31. Miami Heat
35. Utah Jazz

These rankings, I think, are a testament to small-market franchises competing with lumbering behemoths like Los Angeles and New York City - all four of their basketball teams rank in the bottom half, in terms of franchise quality. I'm also impressed by Boston, a big-market team with a storied history that still manages to be one of the wiser and more pleasing franchises. It's also no surprise to me that the Charlotte Bobcats and Sacramento Kings are two of the worst franchises - time to relocate those teams. What do you think of the rankings?

RLundi
09-07-2012, 05:22 PM
Pacers and Sixers?? Smh you have one winning season in forever and you're automatically a top franchise? I don't understand how longevity or consistency doesn't play into this at least a little.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Really the Grizzlies in top 5?

More-Than-Most
09-07-2012, 05:26 PM
Philly in the top 75 :rock:

Packers at 2 and sixers at 21 :rock again

smith&wesson
09-07-2012, 05:27 PM
I would def put spurs over the thunder considering the thunder have been a franchise since 2007.

StarvingKnick22
09-07-2012, 05:43 PM
I will know watch/nor read anything ESPN.

Vampirate
09-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Keep in mind this is the ranking for THIS year not years past.

seikou8
09-07-2012, 05:45 PM
yankees 82:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepal m::facepalm:

StarvingKnick22
09-07-2012, 05:46 PM
Its like they hate the Knicks just to get payed

StarvingKnick22
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
They have the Nets right after the Yankees
:facepalm:

BradHolt4CYoung
09-07-2012, 05:58 PM
Its like they hate the Knicks just to get payed

Lol are you kidding me?

Why should the Knicks be any higher? I know they play in New York and that has it's benefits but what does that have to do with how the franchised is managed?

The Knicks dont have much of a winning history at all and especially recently. They have a history of bringing in players who are team cancers....the organization sucks. Not even hating but just the last 5 years at all these messes: Jeremy Lin chaos this offseason....Stephon Marbury.....Eddy Curry...Nate Robinson benching....Melo running Diantoni out of town...James Dolan being the worst owner in sports....Donnie Walsh firing

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 06:23 PM
Before criticizing, please read the article and how they base the rankings. Cost, fan experience, and many other things come into play.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 06:24 PM
yankees 82:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepal m::facepalm:

because it was destroyed in affordability and bang for the buck.

Read the freakin article people. It costs $35 to park for a Yankees game. Really? That is a total rip off.

Disclaimer: Yanks are my favorite team, but its stupid $$ to go.

nyyfan4life
09-07-2012, 06:27 PM
because it was destroyed in affordability and bang for the buck.

Read the freakin article people. It costs $35 to park for a Yankees game. Really? That is a total rip off.

Disclaimer: Yanks are my favorite team, but its stupid $$ to go.

That's why you park out on the street or take the public transportation.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 06:29 PM
That's why you park out on the street or take the public transportation.

and that is fine, but its rating the stadium/arena experience, and the fact is, to park at the stadium, it costs $35. Its very expensive to go to a Yankees game. Fact. Can you lessen the hit? Sure, but its still costs the average fan a ton of money relative to many other teams. Which is why the Wolves are higher than many would think. Easy to get in/out of, affordable, etc.

Robbw241
09-07-2012, 06:31 PM
People of the NBA forum don't read. Shocker!

Sactown
09-07-2012, 06:32 PM
and that is fine, but its rating the stadium/arena experience, and the fact is, to park at the stadium, it costs $35. Its very expensive to go to a Yankees game. Fact. Can you lessen the hit? Sure, but its still costs the average fan a ton of money relative to many other teams. Which is why the Wolves are higher than many would think. Easy to get in/out of, affordable, etc.

Well this is pretty much why all the baseball teams are on the low end.. probably has to do with the fact that they don't have a salary cap.

Sactown
09-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Not last ;)

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 06:45 PM
Not last ;)

If your not first, your last

asoto511
09-07-2012, 06:51 PM
Wow. People don't read the article before posting. Doesn't surprise me though. We have people in here that bash on teams, players, coaches, etc without ever once really paying attention to whomever they aim their hate on....$35 to park at Yankee stadium??? Wow.

Sactown
09-07-2012, 07:03 PM
If your not first, your last

touche'! The Kings lack a certain Je ne sais quoi if you know what I mean ;)

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 07:27 PM
touche'! The Kings lack a certain Je ne sais quoi if you know what I mean ;)

You speak french. I knew there was something bout you I didn't like.

Merica.

Sactown
09-07-2012, 07:42 PM
You speak french. I knew there was something bout you I didn't like.

Merica.

I'm guessing you haven't seen that McDonalds commercial

And by "something bout you I didn't like." you meant jealousy! Jealous of my sexy looks and profound knowledge of the game of basketball! :cool:

kdspurman
09-07-2012, 08:14 PM
I would def put spurs over the thunder considering the thunder have been a franchise since 2007.

My thought's exactly

Cracka2HI!
09-08-2012, 12:16 AM
Clippers #53, Lakers #89...I see no problem with the article :shrug:

itsbeefy11
09-08-2012, 12:22 AM
get around the thunder

mrblisterdundee
09-08-2012, 01:57 AM
Lol are you kidding me?

Why should the Knicks be any higher? I know they play in New York and that has it's benefits but what does that have to do with how the franchised is managed?

The Knicks dont have much of a winning history at all and especially recently. They have a history of bringing in players who are team cancers....the organization sucks. Not even hating but just the last 5 years at all these messes: Jeremy Lin chaos this offseason....Stephon Marbury.....Eddy Curry...Nate Robinson benching....Melo running Diantoni out of town...James Dolan being the worst owner in sports....Donnie Walsh firing

This guy seems to get it. The Knicks owners and management always seem to let the fans down in the end. Most recently, the Knicks would have been better off stopping at Amare Stoudemire, keeping the young talent and going for the defensive center. I'm sure Dallas would have still had Tyson Chandler on the block, trying to clear space for bigger fish. Adding Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony was simply giving up too much defense and ball movement.

mrblisterdundee
09-08-2012, 02:13 AM
Wow. People don't read the article before posting. Doesn't surprise me though. We have people in here that bash on teams, players, coaches, etc without ever once really paying attention to whomever they aim their hate on....$35 to park at Yankee stadium??? Wow.

You're in New York City and going to a stadium in Manhatten. If you drive to the game, you deserved to be punished for not using your impressive mass transit network.

asoto511
09-08-2012, 02:31 PM
You're in New York City and going to a stadium in Manhatten. If you drive to the game, you deserved to be punished for not using your impressive mass transit network.

Touche. But, my point was more about the rating of the franchises. The fans shouldn't be penalized bc the entire city was designed to be 90% public transportation. fun fact: Los Angeles was originally designed the same way.

spreadeagle
09-08-2012, 09:26 PM
A winning team with likable players, a supportive owner, a great game experience and cheap tickets -- is that too much to ask? Not if you're rooting for the Oklahoma City Thunder, who top our 10th annual ranking of pro franchises.

The eight major categories that make up the Ultimate Standings were created based on feedback from fans about what they want most from their favorite teams (click here for a more detailed account of the method to our madness.) The categories:

Bang For The Buck (BNG): Wins during the past three years (regular season plus postseason) per revenues directly from fans, adjusted for league schedules.

Fan Relations (FRL): Openness and consideration toward fans by players, coaches and management.

Ownership (OWN): Honesty and loyalty to core players and local community.

Affordability (AFF): Price of tickets, parking and concessions.

Stadium Experience (STX): Quality of arena and game-day promotions as well as friendliness of environment.

Players (PLA): Effort on the field and likability off it.

Coaching (CCH): Strength of on-field leadership.

Title Track (TTR): Championships already won or expected in the lifetime of current fans.

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/8339695/oklahoma-city-thunder-ranked-best-franchise-sports-ultimate-standings-espn-magazine

JNoel
09-08-2012, 09:46 PM
This was posted twice already, sorry OP but a little late.

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=759809

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/showthread.php?t=759806

NBA_Starter
09-08-2012, 09:56 PM
Not bad

NBA_Starter
09-08-2012, 09:57 PM
It's hard to argue against the Thunder