PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox looking at Mike Scioscia if they can't get Farrell

j-bay
09-07-2012, 02:21 PM
The rumors surrounding John Farrell and the Red Sox wonít go away, especially now that Farrellís Blue Jays are visiting Boston, where he coached until 2010. Farrell is the top choice of Red Sox officials to replace Bobby Valentine as the teamís manager in 2013, but he isnít the only American League manager the Red Sox are considering. The Red Sox will turn to Angels manager Mike Scioscia if the Angels fire Scioscia and Farrell isnít available, Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports.

The Red Sox are expected to fire Valentine soon after the regular season ends, Nightengale writes. By that point the availability of Farrell, whoís under contract for 2013, and Scioscia, whoís under contract through 2018, should be more clear. Red Sox president Larry Lucchino told Nightengale the team hasnít made a decision about Valentineís future in Boston. "We'll re-evaluate it at the end of the season," Lucchino said.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/09/red-sox-eyeing-mike-scioscia.html

bagwell368
09-07-2012, 02:26 PM
He's BV w/ a ring. He's used to having his own way, and he deals with a soft media in LAA.

One of the reasons BV failed to establish authority is the &*#$ hierarchies in BRS-land and even more so - a 2 year deal - which had "temp" written all over it. Prepare to hand MS a 4 or 5 year deal with a lot of autonomy if he comes, and he still may not work.

grandsalami
09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
nvm

Nomar
09-07-2012, 02:34 PM
pass

Station 13
09-07-2012, 02:35 PM
he's a control freak

Crucis
09-07-2012, 02:44 PM
Not interested. Don't like the style of game that he manages. It's too much of an NL style of game for an AL East team.

todu82
09-08-2012, 06:15 PM
The guy's a good manager, would like to see him in Boston.

Bo Sox Fan
09-08-2012, 06:47 PM
God, please NO.

I find he's always waaaay too involved in every pitch of every play of every game. He hands out signals for everything stupid little thing instead of just letting his players play the game.

PASS

bagwell368
09-08-2012, 07:08 PM
The guy's a good manager, would like to see him in Boston.

Other posters have it right. Too intense, too small ball, bad fit. Any prudent thinking will lead to the inescapable conclusion he wouldn't fit - at all.

Crucis
09-08-2012, 07:47 PM
Other posters have it right. Too intense, too small ball, bad fit. Any prudent thinking will lead to the inescapable conclusion he wouldn't fit - at all.

Agreed. The most important point to me is that he's "too small ball". He's an NL manager for an AL team. If the DH suddenly went away and we were back to playing the "NL game", then perhaps he might be a reasonable choice. But that's not the case. The Sox need a manager who pushes the more "OBP-centric" offensive style that helped the Sox win 2 championships.

bagwell368
09-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Agreed. The most important point to me is that he's "too small ball". He's an NL manager for an AL team. If the DH suddenly went away and we were back to playing the "NL game", then perhaps he might be a reasonable choice. But that's not the case. The Sox need a manager who pushes the more "OBP-centric" offensive style that helped the Sox win 2 championships.

That reminds me - MS has crapped all over SABR ideas - with relish. How does that work out with Bill James? It doesn't. Screw MS.

BostonSports96
09-09-2012, 12:42 AM
There was a thread like this a while ago and I said "no thanks" and got crapped on. Now everyone is saying no? Hmmm

bagwell368
09-09-2012, 05:07 AM
There was a thread like this a while ago and I said "no thanks" and got crapped on. Now everyone is saying no? Hmmm

Look up "opinion leader".... :worthy:

Nomar
09-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Look up "opinion leader".... :worthy:

lol

GoldDustTwin
09-09-2012, 03:53 PM
^^^^^^

Especially funny coming from a guy who can barely go a post without offering a general reminder of how many times he's been right in the past.

Bos_Sports4Life
09-09-2012, 04:19 PM
not that i want him, but i dont understand the whole he doesnt fit our stye..

Maybe he played small ball due to his roster? I'm doubting he'd do the amount of softball on a team like bos.

Crucis
09-09-2012, 04:37 PM
not that i want him, but i dont understand the whole he doesnt fit our stye..

Maybe he played small ball due to his roster? I'm doubting he'd do the amount of softball on a team like bos.

For starters, as a player, IIRC, he was a career NL guy. And frankly until proven to the contrary, I'll assume that he's a small ball guy because HE is a small ball guy, not because it may or may not have fit his team's personnel.

AI
09-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I agree with everybody about MS, but, we could do alot worse.

I want Farrell, but if we settle for MS then so be it. I'll take anyone over Bobby V.

bagwell368
09-09-2012, 06:53 PM
I agree with everybody about MS, but, we could do alot worse.

I want Farrell, but if we settle for MS then so be it. I'll take anyone over Bobby V.

Nah... It's not just his quickly expressed dislikes, it's his ego first way of doing things. He bristles in interviews. He'd be a lightening rod much lik BV in Boston.

On top of that he believes in sacrifices, doesn't believe in working walks (doesn't foster them, he believes in attacking the ball), and put the runners in motion. It might make sense on some levels but not with our roster, farm system, ball park, and division.

Might as well hire luccasicourt(sp) if you want that 1981 NL turf go go stuff which is DOA today.

MiamiBoy77
09-09-2012, 08:14 PM
He can't win with the best rotation in baseball and Pujols, Trumbo, Trout, and all their firepower

BostonSports96
09-09-2012, 09:41 PM
He can't win with the best rotation in baseball and Pujols, Trumbo, Trout, and all their firepower

Best rotation? I don't think so...but yes all the talent and he still can't get a wild card spot, and he could never win in the playoffs.

BostonSports96
09-09-2012, 09:42 PM
^^^^^^

Especially funny coming from a guy who can barely go a post without offering a general reminder of how many times he's been right in the past.

exactly, Mr. "I'm never wrong" Bagwell

MiamiBoy77
09-09-2012, 09:45 PM
Best rotation? I don't think so...but yes all the talent and he still can't get a wild card spot, and he could never win in the playoffs.

Weaver
Grienke
Wilson
Haren

??

that rotation should make the playoffs at least

bagwell368
09-09-2012, 10:11 PM
dupe

bagwell368
09-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Funny thing is I was being sincere.

Please go read my latest post in the Gonzalez/Green Monster Thread.

Seems like 1/2 of your baseball posts are about giving Iglesias a chance and how all he needs to do is have a BA/OBP as good as Aviles and he's won the job. How's that looking so far? Will the range of your posts expand at some point?

Crucis
09-09-2012, 10:20 PM

Someone with only 130 posts should try being a bit less judgmental towards those with a bit more experience when it comes to analyzing baseball (i.e. 26,000+ posts).

BoSox47
09-10-2012, 03:15 PM
Someone with only 130 posts should try being a bit less judgmental towards those with a bit more experience when it comes to analyzing baseball (i.e. 26,000+ posts).

Lol so more posts means he knows how to analyze sports better? Didnt read anything to do with what they were saying but lol noob

Crucis
09-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Lol so more posts means he knows how to analyze sports better? Didnt read anything to do with what they were saying but lol noob

I happen to think that Bags is a far more insightful baseball analyst than the great majority of people here, including me.

mzg32
09-10-2012, 04:08 PM
Maybe he is too small-ball o NL-style, but that could be an advantage with the new schedule and interleague play all year long. I'm not saying he is the best fit, but he would bring some valuable qualities: He is a manager used to manage big payroll (and ego) teams, to manage competitive teams, has a WS ring as a manager and seems from the outside that he is a no-nonesense guy and is respected by his players...

If He's not our best option, Who do the most insightful guys here think should be the next manager?

AI
09-10-2012, 05:43 PM
I happen to think that Bags is a far more insightful baseball analyst than the great majority of people here, including me.

Agreed. Wish this forum was full of more people like him instead of BSF and the other poster who become a Yankee fan.

Miss the days when Frank, Pittz, Melo, RST, Lav, FNY, etc where all active. Good baseball talk.

Crucis
09-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Maybe he is too small-ball or NL-style, but that could be an advantage with the new schedule and interleague play all year long. I'm not saying he is the best fit, but he would bring some valuable qualities: He is a manager used to manage big payroll (and ego) teams, to manage competitive teams, has a WS ring as a manager and seems from the outside that he is a no-nonesense guy and is respected by his players...

If He's not our best option, Who do the most insightful guys here think should be the next manager?

Very funny. :eyebrow:

At this time, I have no opinion. As for Scioscia, I have to disagree. I do think that he's too small ball for my taste. That said, with the constant IL play we'll be seeing in upcoming years, it would be good to have a manager who is able to handle some NL style managing for those away IL games. Francona did fit this description because he'd managed an NL team for a few years before coming to the Sox. So I won't say that some NL experience would be a totally bad thing, if only for those away IL games, and to use once in a while in the AL games as well. (If there was one thing that I didn't like about Tito it was his stubborn unwillingness to almost never use any small ball tactics, even when the situation would have warranted them. But that was only a minor negative for me on the whole...)

Some (one?) have suggested that maybe the Sox should give their AAA manager a chance. It may not be a bad idea, if the Sox are going to try to make a greater effort to build from within. Having a manager who is used to developing young talent might be a good thing.

GoldDustTwin
09-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Wrong - and poor examples to boot.

Best rotation in baseball - nope.

Trout, Pujols, and Trumbo (who hasn't hit his weight the last two months - and check how many x-base hits he has since the start of Aug - Scioscia's fault?) and then 6 other stiffs who can barely hit.

Three players don't make a lineup - as a Red Sox fan I thought that'd have dawned on you.

Crucis
09-10-2012, 05:59 PM
Agreed. Wish this forum was full of more people like him instead of BSF and the other poster who become a Yankee fan.

Miss the days when Frank, Pittz, Melo, RST, Lav, FNY, etc where all active. Good baseball talk.

Same here. I like to think that I'm decent at reading the tea leaves (so to speak), but I won't put myself on Bags' level because I don't have the willingness to dive into SABR stats as he's done. I kind of go with my gut and years of experience as a Sox fan.