PDA

View Full Version : Pacers sign Sam Young, Sundiata Gaines and Blake Ahearn

Punk
09-06-2012, 07:23 PM
The Indiana Pacers have signed free agents Sam Young, Sundiata Gaines and Blake Ahearn

Young is a 6-6 small forward/shooting guard who has played three NBA seasons with the Memphis Grizzlies and Philadelphia 76ers. He has career averages of 6.6 points per game and 1.8 rebounds per game.

Gaines is a 6-1 point guard who was undrafted out of Georgia in 2008. He has played with Utah, Minnesota, Toronto and New Jersey with career averages of 5.1 ppg and 2.2 assists per game.

A 6-2 guard, Ahearn has 19 games NBA experience with Miami, San Antonio and Utah with a career average of 2.5 ppg. He has also played in Europe and the NBA D-League where in 2011-12 he was the league’s leading scorer at 23.8 ppg.

Read more: http://basketball.******.com/wiretap/223388/Pacers_Sign_Sam_Young_Sundiata_Gaines_Blake_Ahearn #ixzz25jciybYU

A solid rotational defensive SF, decent PG, good sharp shooter in Ahearn who paid his dues in the D-League.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 07:26 PM
decent pg?

cardinals1226
09-06-2012, 07:28 PM
Training camp bodies, nothing more, nothing less. None of them will make the team.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-06-2012, 07:29 PM
Sam Young was a good pick up. I think he was a good rotation player for the Grizz before he got traded at the deadline to the Sixers, who for some reason never utilized him.

Hopefully he helps out that bench of Indiana as Barbosa probably won't be back for them.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 07:32 PM
These are your contenders the Indiana Pacers, they look scary.

LakersMaster24
09-06-2012, 07:33 PM
I still remember that crazy buzzer Gaines hit when he was still with the Jazz.

I always liked Sam Young. Good energy player, can score 6-10 points off the bench easily. If put in the right situation he could be a great great pick up.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM

Scarier than BKN that's for sure. :)

D12 fan
09-06-2012, 07:37 PM

:eyebrow:

Robbw241
09-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Gaines is ***

JNoel
09-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Adds depth to a relatively deep team, I still see them grabbing the 3rd seed in the East.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 07:45 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

doesnt even look like a playoff team

Im calling it right now all this hype, will be gone in Jan. Pacers will be lucky to get the 8th seed.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

Im calling it right now all this hype, will be gone in Jan. Pacers will be lucky to get the 8th seed.

I honestly was not a fan of them getting rid of Collison, and so by that move, I agree that they will be a little worse.

Hibbert got his max contract, don't expect to see the same all-star level that he was playing at last yr.

And I just think the Danny Granger thing isn't working out in Indiana. I expect Indiana to possibly move him at the deadline.

cardinals1226
09-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

First off, the lineup is Hill - George - Granger - West - Hibbert. The Pacers had the fifth best record in the NBA with the same starting lineup and a lesser bench. You talk more **** than you have for brains. The village called and wants their idiot back.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 07:51 PM
I honestly was not a fan of them getting rid of Collison, and so by that move, I agree that they will be a little worse.

Hibbert got his max contract, don't expect to see the same all-star level that he was playing at last yr.

And I just think the Danny Granger thing isn't working out in Indiana. I expect Indiana to possibly move him at the deadline.

and I wonder if West will continue to want to stay there. that city is not attractive to free agents.

YoungOne
09-06-2012, 07:52 PM
didnt sam young start for the grizzlies when they beat the spurs and got to the 2nd round?

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 07:54 PM
First off, the lineup is Hill - George - Granger - West - Hibbert. The Pacers had the fifth best record in the NBA with the same starting lineup and a lesser bench. You talk more **** than you have for brains. The village called and wants their idiot back.

Its a team full of average players with nobody that can take the last shot. Its just fact they are an average joes kind of team. No real all stars, just average players. They are similar to Denver Nuggets a team full of average players that has no chance at anything big.

Im not speaking for everyone but I dont take the Pacers seriously at all. I know the Nets would out play them with our talent in a 7 game series. No question.

cardinals1226
09-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Its a team full of average players with nobody that can take the last shot. Its just fact they are an average joes kind of team. No real all stars, just average players. They are similar to Denver Nuggets a team full of average players that has no chance at anything big.

Im not speaking for everyone but I dont take the Pacers seriously at all. I know the Nets would out play them with our talent in a 7 game series. No question.

And no one takes you seriously, for this very reason. You have zero basketball insight. I don't see how the Pacers are barely a playoff team, but suddenly the Nets are championship bound. Keep talking the Nets up, but you are an embarrassment for all other Net fans, basketball fans in general. That is all. Enjoy, troll.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
And no one takes you seriously, for this very reason. You have zero basketball insight. I don't see how the Pacers are barely a playoff team, but suddenly the Nets are championship bound. Keep talking the Nets up, but you are an embarrassment for all other Net fans, basketball fans in general. That is all. Enjoy, troll.

Can we discuss basketball here and not other nonsense.
I understand you like the Pacers but they arent tough to me. Actually when I did my predictions for the season I marked all the Pacers Nets games as easy wins for the Nets.

WVNowitzki
09-06-2012, 08:00 PM
I don't like Sam Young cause he is from Eat ***** Pitt, but dude has one of the best pump fakes ever. Good for him

BradHolt4CYoung
09-06-2012, 08:22 PM

But they had the same "no real all stars" last season but had the 5th best record in the NBA....so what kind of point is that?

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 08:25 PM
But they had the same "no real all stars" last season but had the 5th best record in the NBA....so what kind of point is that?

They didnt look that good and they had the least amound of injuries of any team.

BradHolt4CYoung
09-06-2012, 08:40 PM
They didnt look that good and they had the least amound of injuries of any team.

lol I dont think you did a very good job watching them if they didn't look good going 42-24.

Your going to generalize their 66 game season and say there 42 wins were because the teams they played just sucked? Where were these teams when the 20 win Nets played them?

GiantsSwaGG
09-06-2012, 08:52 PM
Sam Young jumpshot is ****

IndyHeatjman
09-06-2012, 09:10 PM
So pacers now have two Nets standouts off the bench last year. DoMeFavors...you feelin' jealous? I mean where is all this nonsense hate on the Pacers come from?

Mcdoh
09-06-2012, 09:19 PM
good signing..

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 09:30 PM
So pacers now have two Nets standouts off the bench last year. DoMeFavors...you feelin' jealous? I mean where is all this nonsense hate on the Pacers come from?

Its not hate and I have no problem with the Pacers because I dont care about them. I am saying this because I am expressing how much they dont scare me and how overated they are.

IndyHeatjman
09-06-2012, 09:40 PM
Its not hate and I have no problem with the Pacers because I dont care about them. I am saying this because I am expressing how much they dont scare me and how overated they are.

Why do u find a need to justify how u feel if you dont in fact have a fear of the Pacers?

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 09:44 PM
Why do u find a need to justify how u feel if you dont in fact have a fear of the Pacers?

Because its a thread, I dont care about anyone except the Heat. But me telling the truth isnt hate.

Byronicle
09-06-2012, 09:45 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

lmao wow

you forgot one key player. Paul George

and they got a pretty deep bench which again you forget.

PacersForLife
09-06-2012, 10:56 PM
I like all the signings. If they are just camp bodies, I think Sam Young should definitely make the roster, he's no scrub and can replace what Dahntay Jones brought. For you people saying we got worse, I don't know what you're talking about. Collison really wasn't as good as he's made out to be, I think Augustin will be just as good. Green and Sam Young are way better than Dahntay. We have a legit backup Center now, same exact lineup as last year when we had the 5th best record... what are you people talking about...?

D12 fan
09-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Can we discuss basketball here and not other nonsense.
I understand you like the Pacers but they arent tough to me. Actually when I did my predictions for the season I marked all the Pacers Nets games as easy wins for the Nets.

llullz.

PacersForLife
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM

I know you are probably just trolling or whatever it is you do... The Nets are not scaring anyone. People doubted the Pacers last year and look what happened... If you are actually serious with the comments you made in this thread, you obviously didn't watch the Pacers at all last year.

mosesedan
09-06-2012, 11:04 PM

standout? gaines is trash, i got angry every time he got subbed into the game. doubt hes even gonna make the roster, unless its a battle between him and ahearn for the final spot

PacersForLife
09-06-2012, 11:10 PM
standout? gaines is trash, i got angry every time he got subbed into the game. doubt hes even gonna make the roster, unless its a battle between him and ahearn for the final spot

Lol, I think he was kidding about the standout thing.

IndyRealist
09-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I like all the signings. If they are just camp bodies, I think Sam Young should definitely make the roster, he's no scrub and can replace what Dahntay Jones brought. For you people saying we got worse, I don't know what you're talking about. Collison really wasn't as good as he's made out to be, I think Augustin will be just as good. Green and Sam Young are way better than Dahntay. We have a legit backup Center now, same exact lineup as last year when we had the 5th best record... what are you people talking about...?

Gotta disagree with you. DC is a starter in the NBA. He's quick, has a good blow-by move, and can shoot the 3. He also showed he can be a great defender when motivated. Augustin is not "just as good". He's been bad virtually every year, shoots a horrible percentage from everywhere on the court, and can't defend. Granted he was with a dysfunctional team (sorry Bobcats) with no real direction, so it remains to be seen whether he's better than what he's shown so far.

As for Dahntay, he was our best perimeter defender and 3pt shooter. Losing him after giving up Bradon Rush (our best perimeter defender and 3pt shooter) the year before seriously degrades our wing rotation. We're now relying on a player who spent the majority of last year in the D-League and Lance Stephenson to play crucial, game defining minutes when neither player has proven anything.

Truth be told, I don't see Sam Young making the roster with all of our wings (George, Granger, Stephenson, Johnson and Green) having guaranteed contracts, and a backlog of bigs on the bench. Mahimni makes us better, but either Ian or Plumlee is going to have to play some PF.

DoMeFavors
09-06-2012, 11:37 PM

yeah Gaines sucks he doesnt belong in the NBA, no jump shot..is a ball hog...one of the worst free throw shooters

AndyfromNeptune
09-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I agree with DoMeFavors. I do not think the Pacers scare me at all as a playoff team. They do not have the superstarts to make it to the finals.

That being said, they like the Sixers and the Nuggets will be a great regular season team again. DoMeFavors is extremely wrong in that sense.

AndyfromNeptune
09-07-2012, 12:01 AM
DoMeFavors also says that the Pacers are an 8th seed at best.

That's wrong too. The East got more firepower with the Knicks and Nets--but the Pacers will still be a top 6 team in the East. I can guarantee that even as a Knicks fan.

DoMeFavors
09-07-2012, 12:04 AM
DoMeFavors also says that the Pacers are an 8th seed at best.

That's wrong too. The East got more firepower with the Knicks and Nets--but the Pacers will still be a top 6 team in the East. I can guarantee that even as a Knicks fan.

I didnt say 8th seed at best I think they will be around the 8th seed it wouldnt suprise me.

PacersForLife
09-07-2012, 01:33 AM
Gotta disagree with you. DC is a starter in the NBA. He's quick, has a good blow-by move, and can shoot the 3. He also showed he can be a great defender when motivated. Augustin is not "just as good". He's been bad virtually every year, shoots a horrible percentage from everywhere on the court, and can't defend. Granted he was with a dysfunctional team (sorry Bobcats) with no real direction, so it remains to be seen whether he's better than what he's shown so far.

As for Dahntay, he was our best perimeter defender and 3pt shooter. Losing him after giving up Bradon Rush (our best perimeter defender and 3pt shooter) the year before seriously degrades our wing rotation. We're now relying on a player who spent the majority of last year in the D-League and Lance Stephenson to play crucial, game defining minutes when neither player has proven anything.

Truth be told, I don't see Sam Young making the roster with all of our wings (George, Granger, Stephenson, Johnson and Green) having guaranteed contracts, and a backlog of bigs on the bench. Mahimni makes us better, but either Ian or Plumlee is going to have to play some PF.

I see where you're coming from. I liked DC a lot more than some other Pacers' fans actually. He has great heart and speed, he just wasn't that much of a true point guard. Augustin however, has not really had a chance to play for a legit playoff team and it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has next year. Augustin actually had better stats last year as well.

As for Dahntay, he did have a pretty decent year last year, but he has always been somewhat of a blackhole on offense and was kind of foul prone at times. Sam Young was a key piece to the Grizzlies team that beat the Spurs two years ago and is known for being a good defender. Gerald Green has always belonged in the league, he just came into the league very young and immature as a person and player.

Evolution23
09-07-2012, 01:49 AM
It's over unless the Nets get Curry.

njnets
09-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Love the young signing. Good defensive player and solid rotation player to have coming off the bench. I loved his play in Memphis.

IndyRealist
09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
I see where you're coming from. I liked DC a lot more than some other Pacers' fans actually. He has great heart and speed, he just wasn't that much of a true point guard. Augustin however, has not really had a chance to play for a legit playoff team and it will be interesting to see what kind of season he has next year. Augustin actually had better stats last year as well.

As for Dahntay, he did have a pretty decent year last year, but he has always been somewhat of a blackhole on offense and was kind of foul prone at times. Sam Young was a key piece to the Grizzlies team that beat the Spurs two years ago and is known for being a good defender. Gerald Green has always belonged in the league, he just came into the league very young and immature as a person and player.

I'll buy that. But for now I'm chalking it up to preseason optimism, the career numbers for our new bench is not promising.

Stinkyoutsider
09-07-2012, 12:13 PM
Good pickup in Young for a team who should be very competitive. They have a lot of toughness on the team and should be a tough out for any opponent in the playoffs. Young will be a part of the rotation and should be a good fit for them.

The Pacers are dangerous. They've got great talent and now a year of experience under their belt. I think Hibbert will have a slow start to the season but he really is the kind of player who plays better when he's not getting the respect they deserve.

George Hill gets to run the team full time now and even though they lost Collison, they'll still be a dangerous team. Can't say that about my Bulls though...

Gibby23
09-07-2012, 12:24 PM

They got D.J. Augustin to replace Collison.

TheNumber37
09-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Sam young is athletic as hell and can defend decently. not really a ball mover like Vogel likes... could male the team.

Da Knicks
09-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Great regular season team but like most have pointed out no real star, unless Paul George can turn into one...

Gibby23
09-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Great regular season team but like most have pointed out no real star, unless Paul George can turn into one...

Regular season team? They made it to the 2nd round last year. What does that say about a team like the Knicks? They have a star that has been out of the 1st round once.

PacersForLife
09-07-2012, 04:09 PM

They got D.J. Augustin to replace Collison.

I would like to add something. Roy Hibbert is not the type of guy to get the contract he got and sit back and stop improving his game until his next contract year. Roy is the type of guy that will work to show he is worth that contract. He has been posting videos all off-season of how hard he is working and he is a true professional.

Also, I don't think Danny Granger is going anywhere unless Paul George just completely looks to be the superior player and vastly improves.

Toastyy
09-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

Paul George says hi

IndyRealist
09-07-2012, 04:15 PM
PG needs to sho he can handle the offensive load. Last year when Danny was out, George looked pretty bad as the primary option.

netsgiantsyanks
09-07-2012, 04:15 PM
gaines thinks he's michael jordan sometimes. breaking news: he isn't.

PacersForLife
09-07-2012, 05:03 PM
PG needs to sho he can handle the offensive load. Last year when Danny was out, George looked pretty bad as the primary option.

Completely agree, I love PG to death, but he still isn't ready to be the primary option by any means. This is why I have trouble seeing Danny going anywhere anytime soon.

smith&wesson
09-07-2012, 05:21 PM
Hill
Green
Granger
West
Hibbert

what happened to paul george ?

PacersForLife
09-07-2012, 05:24 PM
what happened to paul george ?

He's stuck in Nets Universe.

ZebraCity916
09-08-2012, 01:58 AM
They got 16 players under contract now. Either someone is getting cut or a small trade is on the horizon......

IndyHeatjman
09-08-2012, 07:11 AM
They got 16 players under contract now. Either someone is getting cut or a small trade is on the horizon......

^IMO they should look to cut someone, Ahearn seems least likely to make the team. They have a good core together as it is. If they were to trade though, i wouldn't mind either. I think Granger and/or Hansbrough are their most valuable+expendable pieces on the roster for a trade. If a move is made, hope to see them make the necessary changes to move PG to SF. I think Granger is more of a shooting guard than George is anyway...