PDA

View Full Version : Are Rondo and Irving Superstars?

StarvingKnick22
09-05-2012, 01:01 PM
This Bulls fan has me in his sig because I said Kyrie Irving and Rondo were not Superstars. Is Irving So good he can be considered a Superstar?
I Think-Hell no.
Rondo might be debatable....

Chronz
09-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Your definition of a superstar can be whatever you feel it is, its an utterly subjective comment that only a few players are truly no brainers, IMO, Rondo and Irving arent among them but if someone has a different bar than me, I wouldnt have a problem with it, so long as they are consistent.

Still, I would say no.

Longhornfan1234
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Rondo is a superstar. He's the best PG in the NBA.

Gators123
09-05-2012, 01:10 PM
No. But I think Kyrie will be one soon.

MonroeFAN
09-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Rondo I think is, Irving could be soon.

Patrick Ewing33
09-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Irving no not yet, but will be a top 5 pg.
Rondo yes, if he could get a consistent jumper scoring 18 ppg he'll be the best pg .

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2012, 01:14 PM
Rondo is the best passing PG in the NBA, and perhaps the best defender at that position. Is Rondo a superstar? I guess it would depend on what the criteria is to be a super star, but he's got a ring, All-Star appearances, lead the league in assists, and in steals. He's at the top of his position, even if he isn't as good a shooter as some.

As for Irving... he hasn't put together as impressive a resume as Rondo has YET, but he's shown he belongs in the NBA. He's got great handles, can break some ankles, seems to handle pressure well as he was expected to carry a big load in Cleveland as a rookie... and he can SHOOT the ball. Almost 40% from the 3-point line as a rookie? That is CRAZY! And 46% from the field... for a rookie? I mean, John Wall has a year in on Irving and he still hasn't been able to bring his FG% up yet. And Iriving is 87% from the charity stripe? Superstar? I put yes for both, because Rondo has proved it and because I think Irving has shown he's got teh fire. And he also impressed a lot of people at the olympic try-outs this season... even Kobe was reluctant to play him one-on-one ;-)

Irving is a superstar in this league. He will be one of the best PGs of his generation if his rookie year is any indication as to what he will accomplish.

Dade County
09-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Rondo is just a star... A super star takes the game global

Wade , Lbj, Kobe ( Global Names )

Longhornfan1234
09-05-2012, 01:21 PM

:facepalm:

Wade is not a global superstar...LMAO.

LeBron, Kobe, Rose, KD, and Howard are much bigger stars.

naps
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

:facepalm::facepalm:

LeBron, Kobe, Wade are bigger. Then comes the next tier.

Dade County
09-05-2012, 01:33 PM

Wrong...

rose and KD are beginning to get onto that Super Star status, and Howard will be a Super Star soon because he is a Laker NOW.

Just because they are stars in the U.S doesn't mean they are Global names...

Wade name has more reach around the world then KD and rose, just stop it. KD will quickly change that... ( If I can find the article or the video of when KD was in the hospital with his little brother and the doctor didn't even know who KD was (he never hard of him).

Wade is a Super Star, you are out their right now.

Big Zo
09-05-2012, 01:34 PM
Irving isn't one yet. Rondo is a second-tier star.

Auseranami
09-05-2012, 01:51 PM
Rondo is a superstar. Irving isn't

AntiG
09-05-2012, 01:54 PM
depends on what you consider a "super star"

if you are talking about which player is great? Rondo is an elite PG and a legit argument can be made for #1 overall at best and top 5 at worst. Either way, as a basketball player, he's up there with any of the "superstars" of the sport.

xxplayerxx23
09-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I like Irving, and I think this year he takes another step up. Rondo is a top6 PG but thats it. He is solid but not a superstar.

chi-townlove1
09-05-2012, 02:04 PM

I second that

Ebbs
09-05-2012, 02:15 PM
No neither are in my eyes.

B'sCeltsPatsSox
09-05-2012, 02:23 PM
People throw the word superstar around very loosely. Rondo isn't a superstar but I could definitely see Kyrie becoming a superstar.

Mile High Champ
09-05-2012, 02:24 PM
Rondo is a superstar. Irving isn't

Irving is more of a superstar than Rondo in my mind. Irving really is the total package and is likely going to be the number 1 PG in the league in a few years. He is incredible, especially in the clutch.

D.O.N.
09-05-2012, 02:36 PM
it's hard to decide on rondo, but i leaning towards yes.

irving is not there yet. maybe 2-3 years from now

NoahH
09-05-2012, 02:40 PM
Rondo is, Irving will be in 2 years

JollyRanch
09-05-2012, 02:44 PM
I look at a superstar as a player who's at or near the very top of his position but is also recognized by basketball media, fans, and also recognized by outsiders.

I mean it as someone who is completely oblivious to sports (like my mom or sisters) knows who this sports star is.

Rondo is a great player but not everyone knows who he is. Irving just hasn't been in the league long enough.

Kobe Bryant, Lebron James, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, Kevin Durant. I consider players like that to be superstars

xxplayerxx23
09-05-2012, 02:45 PM

Paul-Rose-Westy-Deron missing someone all disagree with you.

Stinkyoutsider
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM
No, I don't think that either is a superstar but I think Rondo is a star with Irving being able to say he's a star if he puts in another year or 2 of great performances...

I think a star is someone who all the die hards and casual fans know of and regard as a top player. Rondo is there already and Irving has some work to do.

A superstar is known by people who might not even be a fan of pro basketball or even watch/pay attention to it IMO. Everyone knows who Kobe and Lebron are, even if they pay no attention to basketball? I think Howard is there already and so is Rose.

UPRock
09-05-2012, 02:48 PM
None of them are.

JollyRanch
09-05-2012, 02:52 PM

Rose and Westbrook are not better POINT GUARDS than Rajon Rondo

el hidalgo
09-05-2012, 03:06 PM

You're a moron. Drop the dumb label that point guards have to be better passers than scorers, or whatever stupid criteria you use. It is all subjective and is just used for people that dislike Rose or Westbrook.

Rose and Westbrook and better PLAYERS than Rondo. There, happy?

seikou8
09-05-2012, 03:10 PM
rondo is not a superstar neither is irving

TheIlladelph16
09-05-2012, 03:12 PM

Its very difficult to find great "pure" PGs in the NBA anymore. Paul, Rondo,... Rubio i guess? Most positions have changed over to hybrid type players ala Rose & Westbrook at the PG position and both contribute far more on the offensive side of the ball than Rondo. Plus Rose has an MVP to his name playing PG.

I'm really not trying to knock Rondo here as he is easily top 5 and arguably top 3 PG, but he has to put up a more consistent jumper to be the top guy. Guys literally give him feet of space out on the perimeter because its just that inconsistent.

StarvingKnick22
09-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Its suppose to be that the NBA has only 3-5 true Superstars. Lebron-Dwight-Paul-Kobe-Wade

smiddy012
09-05-2012, 03:23 PM

If you're going to use the pure PG argument, pure PGs can hit consistently from long range. Rondo needs to develop a consistently dominant offensive game before we claim he's a top 2 PG.

smiddy012
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Superstars have global wide appeal and are considered a face of the nba.

8kobe24
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Not yet, at least.

SeoulBeatz
09-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Irving will be next year.

Rondo already is a top 3 PG.

Not even debatable, Rondo is a BEAST, and Irving is well on his way.

heyman321
09-05-2012, 04:40 PM
You're a moron. Drop the dumb label that point guards have to be better passers than scorers, or whatever stupid criteria you use. It is all subjective and is just used for people that dislike Rose or Westbrook.

I would take Rondo over those two provided you have a decent team. Rondo is the only player in the league capable of a triple double any given night (other than Lebron). I mean how many 15/15/20's did he put up last year? It was like two, and other triple doubs were impressive too.

C_Mund
09-05-2012, 04:51 PM
Rondo is the best passing PG in the NBA, and perhaps the best defender at that position. Is Rondo a superstar? I guess it would depend on what the criteria is to be a super star, but he's got a ring, All-Star appearances, lead the league in assists, and in steals. He's at the top of his position, even if he isn't as good a shooter as some.

As for Irving... he hasn't put together as impressive a resume as Rondo has YET, but he's shown he belongs in the NBA. He's got great handles, can break some ankles, seems to handle pressure well as he was expected to carry a big load in Cleveland as a rookie... and he can SHOOT the ball. Almost 40% from the 3-point line as a rookie? That is CRAZY! And 46% from the field... for a rookie? I mean, John Wall has a year in on Irving and he still hasn't been able to bring his FG% up yet. And Iriving is 87% from the charity stripe? Superstar? I put yes for both, because Rondo has proved it and because I think Irving has shown he's got teh fire. And he also impressed a lot of people at the olympic try-outs this season... even Kobe was reluctant to play him one-on-one ;-)

Irving is a superstar in this league. He will be one of the best PGs of his generation if his rookie year is any indication as to what he will accomplish.

I hate to be a lazy bastard, but........ this

C_Mund
09-05-2012, 04:52 PM
.... and for those that say Rondo isn't, does that mean Jason Kidd was never a superstar in his prime? He was in my opinion, and I didn't even like him

xxplayerxx23
09-05-2012, 04:54 PM

How so? There both WAY better offensive players, guard their man just as good if not better and actually have solid midrange games. Give me them any day of the week.

StarvingKnick22
09-05-2012, 05:14 PM
I dont see how breaking ankles should go anywhere in showing who is a superstar. Ever.

Longhornfan1234
09-05-2012, 05:25 PM

Rondo is a better passer, defender, slasher, and rebounder. CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 20 player and stacked bench. Rondo carried an old/crippled team to ECF. He took the world champions to game 7. Case closed. Deron, really? Inefficient PG that missed the playoffs two years in the row? GTFO here.

SeoulBeatz
09-05-2012, 05:32 PM
How so? There both WAY better offensive players, guard their man just as good if not better and actually have solid midrange games. Give me them any day of the week.

I'm going to have to STRONGLY disagree with that statement.

If we're basing offense on jumpshooting alone, sure Westy and Rose blow Rondo out of the water.

But Rondo's impact on the game is with his passing, intangibles, and how he attacks when he needs to.

Westbrook has no self control on offense. It's always ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK. Which works sometimes, but most of the time he'll just shoot himself out of the game.

Rondo on the other hand, makes it look so easy because his pace is always under control. He finds the open man at the perfect time, or he'll slash when the defenders caught offguard thinking he's going to pass. He's a MUCH smarter player than Westy.

Give me Rondo over Westbrook any day of the week. Rose is debatable because he excels at the slashing/scoring PG role.

Ezio
09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Rondo was the best player besides Lebron in the playoffs. Irving is the current ROY and will most likely jump into people's top 5 PGs next season.

StarvingKnick22
09-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Rondo was the best player besides Lebron in the playoffs. Irving is the current ROY and will most likely jump into people's top 5 PGs next season.

This is they guy i was talking about guys!

Ezio
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
This is they guy i was talking about guys!

Cool you read my sig, maybe I should put something there just for you ;)

PatsSoxKnicks
09-06-2012, 07:27 AM

Rondo is a better passer, defender, slasher, and rebounder. CP3 got swept while playing alongside a top 20 player and stacked bench. Rondo carried an old/crippled team to ECF. He took the world champions to game 7. Case closed. Deron, really? Inefficient PG that missed the playoffs two years in the row? GTFO here.

You might be the least knowledgeable poster I've encountered on this board, which says a lot considering this is the NBA Forum...

PatsSoxKnicks
09-06-2012, 07:29 AM
Rondo isn't a superstar, at all. Irving is well on his way to becoming a superstar. Depending on how big of a jump he takes this year, he could be in that "superstar" class as early as this year.

But of course the term superstar has different meanings for everyone.

jp611
09-06-2012, 07:40 AM
No but Irving will be, rondo never will be... Glorified role player

basketfan4life
09-06-2012, 10:02 AM
I think being a superstar isn't just about stats and success in the league. It's also about being a popular name.

Nobody needs to bash me for this because i'm not making the list of best players.

Tier 1 Superstars: Kobe, LeBron (these two guys are the biggest draws globally)

Tier 2: Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard (They are so popular in America, but globally not as much as LBJ and Kobe)

Tier 3: Kevin Durant (very popular globally but not as much as the 4 above)

Tier 4: Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Dirk Nowitzki.

All are very good players, the best players actually, but also all of them are somewhat draws globally.

The thing is, a lot of casual nba fans in europe (i live in europe) still think Kobe is the best player in the world, but in fact there are at least 3 players better than him on this list (LBJ, Durant, Howard) and there are players people can debate strongly (C.Paul, D.Wade, D.Rose). But just this can say how big of superstars Kobe and Lbj are.

Sorry if i forgot someone.

So OP, no you are not an idiot for this.

basketfan4life
09-06-2012, 10:11 AM
In the 90's, i asked my grandmother(who didn't know reading or writing, 70 years old) to tell me if she knows anyone not from our country. She knew 2 names; M.Jordan and M. Jackson. Now that is being a superstar :)

Longhornfan1234
09-06-2012, 10:28 AM
You might be the least knowledgeable poster I've encountered on this board, which says a lot considering this is the NBA Forum...

You can't refute what I said, so you spew insults. :facepalm:

Corey
09-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Irving has more high end potential than Rondo.

Corey
09-06-2012, 10:39 AM

Oh, so if you were a GM and you were starting a team...You would choose Rondo over Paul and Williams?

brb getting fired on the first day.

Gram
09-06-2012, 11:35 AM
Neither are.

Ezio
09-06-2012, 05:54 PM
I think being a superstar isn't just about stats and success in the league. It's also about being a popular name.

Nobody needs to bash me for this because i'm not making the list of best players.

Tier 1 Superstars: Kobe, LeBron (these two guys are the biggest draws globally)

Tier 2: Dwyane Wade, Dwight Howard (They are so popular in America, but globally not as much as LBJ and Kobe)

Tier 3: Kevin Durant (very popular globally but not as much as the 4 above)

Tier 4: Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Derrick Rose, Dirk Nowitzki.

All are very good players, the best players actually, but also all of them are somewhat draws globally.

The thing is, a lot of casual nba fans in europe (i live in europe) still think Kobe is the best player in the world, but in fact there are at least 3 players better than him on this list (LBJ, Durant, Howard) and there are players people can debate strongly (C.Paul, D.Wade, D.Rose). But just this can say how big of superstars Kobe and Lbj are.

Sorry if i forgot someone.

So OP, no you are not an idiot for this.

Rose is up there with Lebron and Kobe, his jersey sales globally are behind Kobe.

todu82
09-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Option 2: Rodno is at the lower level of superstar and Irving is just an above average player at this point.

bucketss
09-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Wrong...

rose and KD are beginning to get onto that Super Star status, and Howard will be a Super Star soon because he is a Laker NOW.

Wade name has more reach around the world then KD and rose, just stop it. KD will quickly change that... ( If I can find the article or the video of when KD was in the hospital with his little brother and the doctor didn't even know who KD was (he never hard of him).

dwight was a superstar before the lakers:facepalm:

bucketss
09-06-2012, 10:49 PM

durant?

Hardaway Here
09-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Rondo is closer to being a superstar than Irving right now but he won't actually become one. Irving on the other hand give him time and he might reach that status to soon to tell for sure but he has the potential

OZknickerbocker
09-07-2012, 02:44 AM

I have an understanding of global names and the amount of kids I see wearing rondo jerseys is crazy, Irving grew up here and I've never seen one. Most people know rondo, not so much irving

Back to the topic
Rondo is a superstar, Irving isn't (yet)

basketfan4life
09-07-2012, 04:15 AM
Rose is up there with Lebron and Kobe, his jersey sales globally are behind Kobe.

He is not near Lebron or Kobe globally, may be he is up there with Durant.

Captain Moroni
09-07-2012, 04:36 AM
People crack me up, hate a team, hate a player...it's your God given right. But for heavens sake, give stars their due.
Anyone who does not think Rondo is a superstar in today's NBA is either stubborn, or not a basketball fan.
And I'm a knick fan.

Captain Moroni
09-07-2012, 04:37 AM

Jersey sales? So Lin is now a global superstar?

samxeyeam
09-07-2012, 06:36 AM
Rondo can run his team as well as any other player in the league. IMO chris paul is the best PG right now in terms of his game as an individual player. Rondo certainly has his flaws in terms of his personal skills (shooting) but he can run his team as well or even better at times than CP3 can with his team. If you look at jason kidd's earlier stages of his career, he was avg low to mid 30% shooting and developed an outside shot later in his career. Both players pratically flirts with a triple double often but kidd was considered a superstar and not rondo??? Rondo is definitely a superstar in my book.

Irving is not due to the fact some players tend to crumble under the pressure after their steller rookie campaigns. (tyreke evans, brandon jennings) So I will have to see irving prove himself he can sustain or get better during this up and coming season.

UKblazers
09-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Considering Rondo's own GM has consistently tried to trade him the past 3 years i think we already have the answer to that. Irving as a rookie put up number very comparable to CP3's rookie year,its certainly possible he develops into a superstar 2-3 years down the road.

Ezio
09-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Jersey sales? So Lin is now a global superstar?

You know how much Adidas promotes Rose overseas? Lin is a media made global superstar.

Im_in_Mia_bish
09-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Rondo is, kyrie isnt, and youre still an idiot should be an option.

blystr2002
09-07-2012, 11:36 AM
I think Kyrie irving has the potential, but not after 1 good rookie year. How many players had good rookie years and then did nothing. I think it take 3 solid years before I talk about superstars. Rondo is over shadowed by the big 3, but his performances show he is at least a star if not superstar.

KNICKS R BACK
09-07-2012, 11:41 AM
rondo is without a shadow of a doubt...kyrie isnt yet, maybe he will be if he stays healthy

Corey
09-07-2012, 11:52 AM
PSD is using the term 'superstar' far too loosely.

In the past, that title has been reserved for top tier players that franchises typically build around.

tripleplay2007
09-07-2012, 11:56 AM
Wrong...

Bias?

Wade wouldn't even be a top 5 SG that I would want on my team. When people over seas watch him play I bet they think he's a flop *****.

tripleplay2007
09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The only "superstars" in the league at the moment have to be Kobe, LeBron, and KD. When I think of an NBA Superstar I think of an MVP caliber player.

At this time those are the only 3 I really see being that.

Corey
09-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Bias?

Wade wouldn't even be a top 5 SG that I would want on my team. When people over seas watch him play I bet they think he's a flop *****.

Oh please. Your user title is "Miami Sucks".

SteBO
09-07-2012, 02:04 PM
Rondo is a unique talent. He isn't a superstar, but I know damn well that he should be considered better than a "glorified" role player. I feel like if he had a consistent jumper he could very well be a top 10 player.

justinnum1
09-07-2012, 02:15 PM
Irving right now is not a superstar lmao.

Corey
09-07-2012, 02:27 PM

Kyrie Irving really wasn't far off from matching Paul's numbers across the board besides assists -- but that can easily be contributed to Irving's supporting cast.

I dont think it's farfetched to say that Irving is well on his way to being a superstar. He's the total package. He can score, he's a strong defender, he has good size, he's marketable, good personality, mature at a young age. If he had a stronger supporting cast this past season, he'd be in the 'Top 5 PG' discussion right with Tony Parker, Rondo and Nash.

Looking at the supporting cast makes Irving's rookie year even more impressive.

Is he a superstar now? Obviously not -- I think that title should be reserved for the TOP players...But I dont think it's silly to say that he could be VERY shortly.

Corey
09-07-2012, 02:29 PM
Rondo is a unique talent. He isn't a superstar, but I know damn well that he should be considered better than a "glorified" role player. I feel like if he had a consistent jumper he could very well be a top 10 player.
People have been saying that since he was a freshman at Kentucky.

The past two seasons combined, he's shot even below his career averages at the FT line. (Sub-60% each of the past two years for a guard..)

For the sake of the future of the Celtics, do I hope that he miraculously gains a jumper? Obviously...But there's been absolutely no indication that his jumper is getting any better at all.

b@llhog24
09-07-2012, 03:54 PM

Kyrie Irving really wasn't far off from matching Paul's numbers across the board besides assists -- but that can easily be contributed to Irving's supporting cast.

I dont think it's farfetched to say that Irving is well on his way to being a superstar. He's the total package. He can score, he's a strong defender, he has good size, he's marketable, good personality, mature at a young age. If he had a stronger supporting cast this past season, he'd be in the 'Top 5 PG' discussion right with Tony Parker, Rondo and Nash.

Looking at the supporting cast makes Irving's rookie year even more impressive.

Is he a superstar now? Obviously not -- I think that title should be reserved for the TOP players...But I dont think it's silly to say that he could be VERY shortly.

:nod: He was better than Rondo during the regular season but his team didn't make the playoffs so we don't know how he would've performed when the real games come around, although Kyrie doesn't seem like the type to crack under pressure.

Hawkeye15
09-07-2012, 03:56 PM
Are people still hoping Rondo learns how to shoot a 17 footer? How many years has it been since I read the same thing about him when coming into Kentucky?

Neither is a superstar. Superstars are top 5 players or so, give or take, that have minimal weaknesses. Irving potentially could become one however.

LongIslandIcedZ
09-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Isnt "Superstar" a somewhat subjective term?

Corey
09-07-2012, 04:06 PM
Are people still hoping Rondo learns how to shoot a 17 footer? How many years has it been since I read the same thing about him when coming into Kentucky?

Neither is a superstar. Superstars are top 5 players or so, give or take, that have minimal weaknesses. Irving potentially could become one however.

I view superstars the same way as you. Legit franchise-changing players. Someone that is considered the absolute best at his position without a doubt.

And yeah, Rondo isn't developing a jumper. He's at his prime RIGHT NOW and hasn't improved it at all since his rookie year.

dtmagnet
09-07-2012, 04:16 PM

When the hell did Wade take the game global? By your definition the only real superstars are Lebron Kobe and Jeremy Lin.

itsbeefy11
09-08-2012, 12:28 AM
you might not classify irving as one (given he's just out of the rookie season) but he will be. give it 3 years.

romzz
09-08-2012, 01:30 PM
I think Rondo's play-off performance against the heat made him almost a superstar in the eye of some casual fans. he did so well that people started asking who is this rondo guy. He will be a global superstar very soon. Irving? a big maybe in the future.

I dont know why Wade and Howard are considered superstar. Maybe in the US, but in other part of the world Wade is just known as LBJ team mate and now Howard will just be Kobe's Teammate. D. Rose fame is probably because of the uniform he is wearing, Chicago Bulls is still a global brand.

Twins Fanatic
09-08-2012, 01:36 PM
I think the real question is why is Irving being put in the same conversation as Rondo right now?

b@llhog24
09-08-2012, 01:52 PM
I think the real question is why is Irving being put in the same conversation as Rondo right now?

Because aside from Chris Paul and maybe Blake Griffin he's had the best rookie season in a decade?

Kashmir13579
09-08-2012, 02:03 PM
I would say Irving has the potential.

Kashmir13579
09-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Because aside from Chris Paul and maybe Blake Griffin he's had the best rookie season in a decade?

Why don't you just make the argument that he had a better regular season than Rondo? I think Kyrie is clearly going to be a better player sooner than later.

SINCESTARBURY25
09-08-2012, 02:30 PM
Iman Shumpert is hands down going to be a super star one day. His game is off the charts.

Ezio
09-08-2012, 03:11 PM

:nod: Not only that but his cast sucks and he still put those numbers up.

b@llhog24
09-08-2012, 04:14 PM
:nod: Not only that but his cast sucks and he still put those numbers up.

Agreed his second option was Antawn Jamison for crying out loud.

Why don't you just make the argument that he had a better regular season than Rondo? I think Kyrie is clearly going to be a better player sooner than later.

Not sure if you're saying that Rondo outperformed him last season or that the fact that he was better than Rondo last season would be a better argument than having the 2nd-3rd best rookie year in 10 years. Anyways I'll proceed to make my case.

While being a traditional pg matters to some, being the most productive player on the floor holds more weight in my book. For all the praise that Rondo gets for the amount of areas that he can impact a game, Id argue that Kyrie has a more complete game than Rondo. Hes a better ball handler, scorer BY FAR, turns the ball over less, rebounding between them is essentially a push as they had identical rebound rates but Rondo comes away with a slight edge because of his proficiency for accruing offensive rebounds, hes also the better defender and passer.

The disparity becomes really apparent when you start to take into consideration how certain skills effect the game more than others. Being a great defender at the pg is a plus but its not like Rondo is out there anchoring his teams defense la Jason Kidd or Gary Payton and while Kyrie will never be as good of a passer as him, does it really matter when hes the better offensive player between the two?

RB#20
09-08-2012, 04:38 PM
Rondo is the best PG in the game. Irving will surpass him though. As for the question, Rondo is Irving is not.

SteBO
09-08-2012, 08:05 PM
Rondo is the best PG in the game. Irving will surpass him though. As for the question, Rondo is Irving is not.
Is Rondo really a guy you'd build around from scratch? He isn't a complete enough player to be a superstar in this league.

Driven
09-08-2012, 08:13 PM
Rondo absolutely is. Irving doesn't have any name value right now outside of NBA fans.

NBA_Starter
09-08-2012, 09:59 PM
Irving will be

Minimal
09-09-2012, 07:14 AM
Rondo is, he is a triple double machine, he carries his team all the time and he already won a ring. Irving just entered the league and has a great pottential, but he is nowhere near superstar yet.

JollyRanch
09-09-2012, 10:18 AM

A "moron"? lol

I don't know whether to be insulted or just chuckle at your feeble attempt.

Then you follow it up by saying it's all subjective? No ****..."moron"

I'm more of a fan of Rose than Rondo AND Westbrook but yet I recognize that Rondo is a better point guard than both. Who runs an offense better? Who's better at setting up teammates? passing? defense?

You want scoring? Get a shooting guard

JollyRanch
09-09-2012, 10:22 AM
Its very difficult to find great "pure" PGs in the NBA anymore. Paul, Rondo,... Rubio i guess?

CP3, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Jason Kidd

Corey
09-09-2012, 11:21 AM
CP3, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Rajon Rondo, Jason Kidd

Kidd's awful now.

CP3, Deron and Nash have more developed offensive games than Rondo ever will.

StarvingKnick22
09-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Kidd's awful now.

CP3, Deron and Nash have more developed offensive games than Rondo ever will.

kidd averaged 6 assist, 6 points, and a steal. He's not bad.

b@llhog24
09-09-2012, 02:45 PM

The man took 6 shots to get six points, shots 36% from the field, and has become a below average defender. He sucks dude. Although in his defense he had a semi-decent playoff run.

Corey
09-09-2012, 02:57 PM

And Greivis Vasquez averaged 9 points and 5.5 assists with better AST% and less TO%, and similar percentages offensively so...

Showtime Steve
09-09-2012, 04:05 PM
Basketball wise, rondo is, irving is not. Probably by the end of this year irving will be though. Marketing wise, rondo is not, irving will be by the end of this year. That uncle drew video is good.

I Rock Shaqs
09-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Wrong...

LMAO are you kidding me, Dwight Howard has been a bigger superstar then Wade few years now.