PDA

View Full Version : What was Jordan like live?

DetAnth
09-05-2012, 04:34 AM
This question is for those of who obviously saw him live, I had a chance when I was little, maybe around seven I don't know hard to remember, but missed it. My cousins who went ended up meeting him after the game:facepalm:

This video made me think what it would have been like in person, as well as being in Chicago last month. Currently I'd say Rose is my favorite player to watch, tho I haven't seen him live. Walking through Chicago where my cuz stay, its clear what kind of influence Derrick rose is having on the young kids in the parks when I was walking around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WR86xLSITc&list=LPGhLh4RTYU_k&index=4&feature=plcp

Davidgta1
09-05-2012, 08:37 AM
It was like watching god play basketball.

Byronicle
09-05-2012, 08:51 AM
菊川市 体育館 (http://kikugawa-taikyo.com/)
菊川市 運動施設 (http://kikugawa-taikyo.com/)
菊川市 スポーツ (http://kikugawa-taikyo.com/)
出雲市 中古車 (http://freek.jp/)
島根県 中古車 (http://freek.jp/)
フリーク (http://freek.jp/)
福島 事務機器 (http://www.foh.co.jp/)
福島 事務用品 (http://www.foh.co.jp/)
白河 事務用品 (http://www.foh.co.jp/)
車検 郡山市 (http://asahi-jk.com/)
建設機械 レンタル 郡山市 (http://asahi-jk.com/)
[url=http://asahi-jk.com/]出光 ガソリンスタンド 郡山市[/url

+1

Hitman21
09-05-2012, 08:56 AM
Unstoppable

Captain Moroni
09-05-2012, 08:59 AM
You were in awe, if the game was on the line and he had the ball, you were gonna lose. You knew it, your team knew it and micheal Jordan knew it.
He is the greatest of all time. No question about it. These clowns today aren't even close.

Knicks21
09-05-2012, 09:16 AM
boring as ****

nycericanguy
09-05-2012, 09:18 AM
I only saw post retirement #45 Jordan, never saw prime MJ. But even after retirement, he was the best ever. If CHI was on TNT or on a national game, you'd make sure you watched that game no matter what.

mjm07
09-05-2012, 09:52 AM

This. :worthy::worthy::worthy: MJ

I also saw him play baseball 3 times. He was super fast around the bases but wasn't on very much. Although he did get a hit in every game i saw him play.

#coolstorybro

AndyfromNeptune
09-05-2012, 10:08 AM
Sometimes I think we get caught up in just how good Bryant and Lebron are.

Then I google Michael Jordan's statistics and youtube videos and I come back to earth.

Jordan had the athleticism of Vince Carter with the work ethic of Kobe Bryant. He was almost a perfect shooting guard.

imurmilk
09-05-2012, 10:20 AM
Like others have said, it was awesome. Growing up he was my favorite player by far, but being a Sixers fan and living right outside of Philly made that hard.

I saw him play at the old Spectrum, the Sixers actually won the game, so I got the best of both worlds!

ghettosean
09-05-2012, 10:21 AM
You were in awe, if the game was on the line and he had the ball, you were gonna lose. You knew it, your team knew it and micheal Jordan knew it.
He is the greatest of all time. No question about it. These clowns today aren't even close.
This...

On top of that he also did things that have never been seen before in basketball and they actually had to change some rules of the game because MJ was that good. Anyone remember any crazy dunks when one of his teammates missed a free throw.

Definatley the best player I have ever seen play the game bar none!

JasonJohnHorn
09-05-2012, 10:38 AM
I never saw him live, but I watched enough games on TV. He pushed off on defenders all the time and got away with it, and if he missed a shot the officials would call somebody for a foul so he could go to the line. Not that much fun to watch to be honest. Very bad for the game. People in that era became Jordan fans and NOT basketball fans, which is why there was such a void in the NBA after he left. It made it very hard for the league to move forward after he retired.

ghettosean
09-05-2012, 10:41 AM
I never saw him live, but I watched enough games on TV. He pushed off on defenders all the time and got away with it, and if he missed a shot the officials would call somebody for a foul so he could go to the line. Not that much fun to watch to be honest. Very bad for the game. People in that era became Jordan fans and NOT basketball fans, which is why there was such a void in the NBA after he left. It made it very hard for the league to move forward after he retired.

It was a more physical game back then (On defense and offense) and hand checking was allowed it wasn't the ballerina dance that we call the NBA today with everything being a foul and players flopping/acting there way to the line.

Jordan played a mans game ;)

Here's some stuff that I don't find fun to watch in todays game below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcSHbInJfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAM_mdNVek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBR_KPWVtE

Big Zo
09-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Saw him play once in the '96 playoffs. Didn't care too much for Jordan. I was happier to see Dennis Rodman, even though they beat my team that day.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-05-2012, 11:11 AM

I feel bad for you that all you saw out of Jordan is what you posted.

FachoinaNYY
09-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I feel bad for you that all you saw out of Jordan is what you posted.

This was almost verbatim my thought when I read his post as well.

Michael was so good he ruins the NBA for me to this day. It was such a treat growing up and watching him in the 90s in the Chicagoland area. He was absolutely the best. There is absolutely no comparison to ANYONE in the NBA now. Kobe and Wade would get destroyed (and I am fans of both). I once had a young friend ( like 15) ask how Michael would do in the NBA right now in his prime. It was a shocking question to me, how could he NOT know of Michael greatness?

He was not as great as you have heard, he was actually better.

KingPosey
09-05-2012, 12:11 PM
If you actually watched him play, you wouldnt even try to compare any player from today to him because its not close, you wouldnt compare dream teams, accolades, anything.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-05-2012, 12:19 PM

1 more thing. Jordan averaged 8.2 Free Throw Attempts per game.

Lebron averages 8.8, Wade 8.9. You must hate watching the NBA in today's game.

fishedz
09-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Watch Kobe... That's what it's like. Magic was more fun then both of them

WAYNEBO
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Damn... there are some kids on this site.

nycericanguy
09-05-2012, 12:29 PM
1 more thing. Jordan averaged 8.2 Free Throw Attempts per game.

Lebron averages 8.8, Wade 8.9. You must hate watching the NBA in today's game.

And thats with Jordan playing at a faster pace.

Prime MJ years he shot 53%, thats insane for a SG.

Jordan had a year where he AVERAGED 32/8/8. Lebron had 2 GAMES where he did that this year. Oh and MJ also averaged 3spg that season. He even averaged over 1.5bpg several years as a SG. Just insane all around.

leftymo
09-05-2012, 12:39 PM

Then I google Michael Jordan's statistics and youtube videos and I come back to earth.

Jordan had the athleticism of Vince Carter with the work ethic of Kobe Bryant. He was almost a perfect shooting guard.

Don't forget his strength. It might be his biggest asset, he was probably the strongest shooting guard in basketball.

Let's not forget it helps going against mostly 6'4" white SG's like Hornacek, Danny Ainge... or just smaller guards like Byron Scott, Joe Dumars, Mitch Richmond, John Starks, Doc Rivers, slower guards like Craig Ehlo...

ewing
09-05-2012, 12:41 PM
He was great in bed

leftymo
09-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Watch Kobe... That's what it's like. Magic was more fun then both of them

good one! A chicago sports website needs to objectivity in here...

he was so good that he failed as an owner and GM.

He's close to Kobe. There are differences. MJ shoots closer to the basket, Kobe has more range. Kobe also doesn't shoot AS MUCH as MJ did. Yes, that's a fact.

MJ was smarter, stronger, better defensively (granted he faced the 2nd best player on opposing teams and even then was bigger than most of them)

Magic was in another league. If you think MJ's shooting % is impressive check out Magic's. Then try winning a title playing all five positions on the road as a rookie... Greatest ever changes the rules of basketball. 6'9" PG's do not exist. 6'7" SG's that chuck up shots do.

Shlumpledink
09-05-2012, 12:45 PM
If by live you mean in person, I saw a few games with him when I was young. I was about 10 years old. I remember him moving faster than anyone. He seemed to be playing at a different speed than everyone else offensively, and defensively. I remember him yelling and swearing a lot.

leftymo
09-05-2012, 12:48 PM

They don't call it the "Jordan rules" for nothing!

Every superstar gets calls these days. But he did create a me first image that spawned ball hogs like Kobe, Iverson, etc... A bunch of guys trying to "be like Mike" and take all the shots... I agree it was bad for basketball.

There was some serious jock sniffage going on when MJ played too which helped. Today everyone is far more critical than praiseworthy. Even guys like Kobe & Lebron are "hated" or criticized. I think MJ would undergo some of that in today's time which would diminish his overall perception and legacy. His "scandals" would've been blown way out of proportion, including his "secret" rendevous, etc...

Maybe more information would've leaked on why he "quit to play baseball" (aka suspended for gambling)

StarvingKnick22
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM
Ehh, Scalabrine was a bit better.

ghettosean
09-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Every superstar gets calls these days. But he did create a me first image that spawned ball hogs like Kobe, Iverson, etc... A bunch of guys trying to "be like Mike" and take all the shots... I agree it was bad for basketball.

There was some serious jock sniffage going on when MJ played too which helped. Today everyone is far more critical than praiseworthy. Even guys like Kobe & Lebron are "hated" or criticized. I think MJ would undergo some of that in today's time which would diminish his overall perception and legacy. His "scandals" would've been blown way out of proportion, including his "secret" rendevous, etc...

Maybe more information would've leaked on why he "quit to play baseball" (aka suspended for gambling)

:violin:

How about you catch MJ doing some of the below stunts and maybe you can destroy his legacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcSHbInJfs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AAM_mdNVek

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBR_KPWVtE

MJ played like a man and competed like one don't spew sad stories about LBJ to win a couple of PSD fans over :facepalm: People who watched that era know better.

KnickaBocka.44
09-05-2012, 01:22 PM
I had the opportunity to see him on my 8th birthday; my parents took me and a couple of friends.

It was poetry in motion, completely mesmerizing, on both ends of the court. His ability to anticipate combined with his vastly superior athletic ability made it seem like he was just floating around the court effortlessly, but knowing his personality we know that wasn't the case.

I remember bringing a piece of paper to keep track of his stats and halfway through the game being upset that I lost track. Looking back, I wouldn't have had it any other way.

JiffyMix88
09-05-2012, 01:27 PM

DetAnth
09-05-2012, 01:50 PM
If by live you mean in person, I saw a few games with him when I was young. I was about 10 years old. I remember him moving faster than anyone. He seemed to be playing at a different speed than everyone else offensively, and defensively. I remember him yelling and swearing a lot.

Ya, live in person, is what I was getting at. I asked the question because obviously Jordan has mythic status, I'm a young black dude playing guitar, whenever I play out people try to compare you know, they say you like a new Hendrix(in the guitar world, he has mythic status).

Obviously, we heard that kinda thing a lot for the search of the next Jordan, I never saw him live, but I knew I was seeing greatness, I missed out on seeing any other greats like Magic etc, I'm 21 so I was too little.

Stinkyoutsider
09-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I never got to see Jordan live but watched his games on tv all the time. The thing about it was, you knew he was a great athlete and player, but this guy was a stone cold killer out there. He wanted to beat you so bad it would make you ashamed.

Kobe is an assassin and he doesn't come close to how Jordan wanted to beat you.

8kobe24
09-05-2012, 04:16 PM

Y the violin playing? It's an opinion that makes sense...

heyman321
09-05-2012, 04:24 PM
Y the violin playing? It's an opinion that makes sense...

nycericanguy
09-05-2012, 04:30 PM
^ :laugh:

Mr Wonderful
09-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Born and raised in Chicago, and got to see many Jordan games. It was strange, because you knew he was the best player just by the things he was able to do. It seemed like he would score or do anything that was needed, when he wanted to. I remember the 72 win season; it stood out because the majority of it was absolutely boring. They would crush teams early on, and sit the stars out the entire 4th quarter. Bulls fans became spoiled because of Jordan, and really after the 2nd title. The rallys became boring, and you kind of expected Jordan to be Jordan, and the Bulls to win.

MintBerryCrunch
09-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Poor man's Kobe.

Hahah

Ethix11
09-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Jordan earned my respect mainly because he took over on a whim. LeBron and all these guys today are highly skilled like Mike but nobody convinced me they would handle their business when it was on the line on a consistant basis. He won every championship the last 6 years of his career because he willed it. Theres a big gap between Jordan and Kobe alone. LeBron would have to prove to the world that he is a prolific closer to catch him no matter how many rings he wins and this coming from a Heat fan.

Sly Guy
09-05-2012, 07:04 PM

this. I saw him only once when he played the raptors in the bulls' 72 win season. I remember us being up one with under 10 seconds to go. MJ had the ball, the entire arena was on pins and needles. He made the shot from the baseline on a typical fadeaway. Raps won the game as it wasn't out of his hands by the time the buzzer went. Was ridic.

tredigs
09-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Born and raised in Chicago, and got to see many Jordan games. It was strange, because you knew he was the best player just by the things he was able to do. It seemed like he would score or do anything that was needed, when he wanted to. I remember the 72 win season; it stood out because the majority of it was absolutely boring. They would crush teams early on, and sit the stars out the entire 4th quarter. Bulls fans became spoiled because of Jordan, and really after the 2nd title. The rallys became boring, and you kind of expected Jordan to be Jordan, and the Bulls to win.

There's something to be said for this, but I mainly watched him on TV and only once a week or two if it wasn't the playoffs, so the rally's never bored me - but they WERE expected. It's insane to think about now, and I later realized that I took them for granted.

There's absolutely zero player other than Jordan that I saw get up for a fourth quarter and just knew that if the game was close, might as well pack your bags. He was going to win that game on both sides of the court, and in his prime there just wasn't anything anyone could do about it. We don't have those thoughts about any player in the NBA since MJ, not in the way he could do it.

I remember being giddy but never actually nervous watching Jordan perform. It always felt like you were waiting how he would crush you, not whether he would. And the proof's in his stats. If there was ever a "clutch" gene to be genomed, you'd find it in Michael Jordan.

Henry Abbot did a true-hoop ESPN article on the most clutch shots possible a year or so ago to compare this era to Air Jordan. Those shots being ''shots that were tie or go-ahead makes in the last 24 seconds of playoff games''. Jordan absolutely dismantled the current competition, and that was just a small sample size of what we'd come to expect from him in any and all games that mattered (or didn't, for that matter). Dude was just insane at the game - both better and more focused than anyone we see now - no other way to put it.

keithy19
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
He would show up for appearances late and constantly flip off the crowd during commercial breaks.

RB#20
09-05-2012, 07:47 PM
Like walking into the Sistine Chapel. Watching Jordan in his prime play live was like observing art. It was no longer about basketball or sports...it was a form of art that told a story. Jordan's game was majestic. Watching Jordan on tv after you saw him live was boring in comparison. The guy would literally float in mid-air...it was ridiculous. Everyone who wasn't a Bull's fan at the time hated Michael Jordan because he was light years ahead of the pack, but when you saw him live you just shut the **** up and witnessed art at it's finest.

valade16
09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Magic was in another league. If you think MJ's shooting % is impressive check out Magic's. Then try winning a title playing all five positions on the road as a rookie... Greatest ever changes the rules of basketball. 6'9" PG's do not exist. 6'7" SG's that chuck up shots do.

Clearly you don't have the faintest idea what made Jordan so good.

Gritz
09-05-2012, 08:26 PM

wow

Underdogz∞
09-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Saw him drop 40 when he was 40 no joke

effen5
09-05-2012, 10:34 PM

Do you even know what the Jordan rules are?

Apparently there are a lot of kids in here who hasn't seen Jordan live or on tv and all you got to see are YouTube highlights. I feel bad for you guys.

effen5
09-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Btw I would love to see what lebron wade Paul rose Kobe Durant can do against the Jordan rules. I see them get frustrated now, couldn't imagine how daly's defense would make them react.

DetAnth
09-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Like walking into the Sistine Chapel. Watching Jordan in his prime play live was like observing art. It was no longer about basketball or sports...it was a form of art that told a story. Jordan's game was majestic. Watching Jordan on tv after you saw him live was boring in comparison. The guy would literally float in mid-air...it was ridiculous. Everyone who wasn't a Bull's fan at the time hated Michael Jordan because he was light years ahead of the pack, but when you saw him live you just shut the **** up and witnessed art at it's finest.

Sounds awesome, I only caught games of him on tv the last two championship years. He'd already been well established before I was born, but basketball felt different even on tv with him those last two Chicago years.

smiddy012
09-05-2012, 11:20 PM

You're a ****ing lousy old piece of crap man who's angry at the world. Every single thread about Jordan you have to come in with your ********. Newsflash idiot, no one gives a **** what you think, that's why you go out of your way to berate MJ every chance you get on the fricken PSD NBA forum. Get a life you tool.

smiddy012
09-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Jordan's career FTA/FGA was about 0.358.

Barkley was .554
Robinson was .577
Malone .503

Wade's at .503, Lebron at .434, Melo at about .410.

So once again, the idea that MJ had his *** kissed by the refs is a myth perpetrated by retards.

IKnowHoops
09-06-2012, 12:58 AM
Jordan was a beast, he is definitely the best ever. Ive seen him close so many games in the waning minutes. Ive seen so many fade aways go splash while being perfectly defended. Ive seen ridiculous dunks on seven footers. Ive seen hang time and in air body control that I can honestly say he is by far the best at hanging in the air and making a shot after double and triple pumping and or getting fouled. He truly is everything he is made out to be.

That being said, Ive seen him get outplayed by both Allen Iverson and Penny Hardaway. Ive seen Penny really take it to Jordan alot. I think Lebron, Koby, Wade, and Durant are better guard/forwards than anyone Micheal has ever played against. Now obviously I wouldnt say any of them are better than Mike, but on any given night, all four of them could definately outplay, beat and or embarrass him from one play to another. He could and would embarass them as well, but it would take Mikes best to outplay either of those four, just as it did when he played against Iverson or Penny.

In closing Mike is the best for sure, but the four I mentioned could all give Mike major problems on the court. He would of course give them problems as well but at the end of the day it would be a battle that could really go either way. But Jordan is the best ever as of now.

itsbeefy11
09-06-2012, 01:14 AM
boring as ****

well youre some troll then mate.....

IKnowHoops
09-06-2012, 01:15 AM
If you actually watched him play, you wouldnt even try to compare any player from today to him because its not close, you wouldnt compare dream teams, accolades, anything.

I remeber Jordan being better than what nba classic shows on replay. Things are always bigger and better when you were younger. At one point all of our dads were the biggest strongest dudes on earth. Then we got older and reality sets in. In reality Jordan is the best ever. But there are certainly some players today that could give mike a serious serious challenge and even outplay him on a given day.

DeyAce
09-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Saw him play once in the '96 playoffs. Didn't care too much for Jordan. I was happier to see Dennis Rodman, even though they beat my team that day.

If he was on the Heat youd be dik riding him

3ballbomber
09-06-2012, 02:20 AM
I saw him walk on water, turn basketballs into bread & Gatorade into wine, no jokes.

HeaTxRipZz
09-06-2012, 06:36 AM
I saw him Dribble on water, turn bread into basketballs & Wine into Gatorade, no jokes.

Had to fix that. lol

Shkelqim
09-06-2012, 10:49 AM
How do people criticize Jordan? He gave LeBron- Kobe- All these players a direction to walk on. Nobody took over like Jordan, just like LeBron takes over now. Jordan is the father and LeBron is his son. LeBron can accomplish more than Jordan but Jordan created the way...

KnicksorBust
09-06-2012, 11:07 AM

Sadly this sums it up. As a Knicks fan I have a lot of Jordan memories and they're all bad. All bad. :laugh:

As I get older and PSD gets more people further from my age I realize it is actually a damn shame that they haven't gotten to see prime MJ. Hell, MJ post-baseball was just as incredible as pre-baseball because he had the post game. He had a will to win and would do whatever it took on both ends of the floor. He was a stone cold killer and nothing ever through him off his game.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-06-2012, 11:41 AM
Sadly this sums it up. As a Knicks fan I have a lot of Jordan memories and they're all bad. All bad. :laugh:

As I get older and PSD gets more people further from my age I realize it is actually a damn shame that they haven't gotten to see prime MJ. Hell, MJ post-baseball was just as incredible as pre-baseball because he had the post game. He had a will to win and would do whatever it took on both ends of the floor. He was a stone cold killer and nothing ever through him off his game.

Nothing better than those Bulls-Knicks games of the early 90s. Bulls Pacers later 90s. But with the Knicks, those games were so intense. Oakley, Ewing, Starks, Mason, Charles Smith going at it with Jordan-pip-Grant-Cartwright. I can't imagine being a Knick fan, I would have probably broken every TV in my house.

effen5
09-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Jordan made a lot of hall of famers ringless.

The rivalry between the Bulls, Knicks, and Heat in the 90s were incredible. I feel bad for all the kids who never got to see those live.

Bulls - Knicks - Knicks using Jordan rules on Jordan and still couldn't stop him was absolutely incredible to watch.

Bulls - Pacers - Man I remember Jordan on Reggie and Reggie pushes off on Jordan and drains a game winning three

Knicks - Pacers....Reggie Draining a three, steals the ball and drains another three in a span of five seconds....

Man this era of basketball really is bad compared to the rivalry in the 90s.

effen5
09-06-2012, 11:49 AM
Sounds awesome, I only caught games of him on tv the last two championship years. He'd already been well established before I was born, but basketball felt different even on tv with him those last two Chicago years.

The reason why people watched basketball was Jordan in the 90s. They were the Beatles man.

TV ratings have been decent recently, but it was nothing like the 90's bulls man. People wanted to watch Jordan. Even non-basketball fans. Now-a-days only sports fans watch basketball even that is starting to diminish a bit to just basketball fans.

PlezPlayDKnicks
09-06-2012, 12:14 PM
I loved him b4 i realized that he stopped my team from winning. When i became a die hard knicks fan he frustrated me to no end. I loved starks for going at him with no fear even tho he got torched.

ChicagoJ
09-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I think the fact that he was a living legend when he played, fans all over were excited to see what he was going do to. You could even hear the ooos and aaahs when he would get the ball at times, whether at home or on the road. So, just the atmosphere of the fans made the games he played in exciting. And Jordan was the best ever at entertaining the crowd and understanding he was an entertainer as well as a basketball player.

hlb285
09-06-2012, 12:35 PM
It was sorta like what Kobe's doing

Pierzynski4Prez
09-06-2012, 12:48 PM
It was sorta like what Kobe's doing

Sorta

VANEXEL9
09-06-2012, 12:53 PM
watched him playing at msg, winter 91, i remember following him at the shootaround before the game, he didnt miss one shot out of about 30 he took.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 12:55 PM
Watched him play live 7-8 times. I have never seen a player who made it look so freakin easy. Obviously I was in Minnesota at the time, and we sucked, but he would rarely play the 4th after scoring 30 in 3 quarters haha. But yeah, he made your team look stupid.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 12:57 PM
I will add, he filled every arena, and when he was on the floor, bench, it didn't matter, everyone paid attention to what he was doing. Visiting teams fans would cheer a monster dunk on their own guy. He was just a player who brought the level of play up when he stepped on the floor. If he seemed like he was going thru a quiet period, or your team made a run, he would come out and literally take over. Best player I have ever seen, easily.

WAYNEBO
09-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Jordan made a lot of hall of famers ringless.

The rivalry between the Bulls, Knicks, and Heat in the 90s were incredible. I feel bad for all the kids who never got to see those live.

Bulls - Knicks - Knicks using Jordan rules on Jordan and still couldn't stop him was absolutely incredible to watch.

Bulls - Pacers - Man I remember Jordan on Reggie and Reggie pushes off on Jordan and drains a game winning three

Knicks - Pacers....Reggie Draining a three, steals the ball and drains another three in a span of five seconds....

Man this era of basketball really is bad compared to the rivalry in the 90s.

100% agree... today the league is full of Floptastic Lala-Loopsie Queens.

NOBODY on the 90s Bulls Knicks flopped. Not even today -- it's not in their bloodlines.

Da Knicks
09-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Hated him with a passion, but the man was so good and you couldnt deny it. Having Pippen on his side was a nightmare when they would play my knicks, the 90's basketball is something that i will never forget... He had the sickest offense game at the time with the post up and j, only Kobe and Melo have that style of game right now. Just like Jordan, Kobe is hated by many and soon Melo will be hated by many more than he already is. Guys like these who can score on anybody without using much effort last so long in the league and you either love them or hate them. I hated Jordan and Kobe thank god Melo is a knick, i would of hated him too...

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 01:28 PM
Hated him with a passion, but the man was so good and you couldnt deny it. Having Pippen on his side was a nightmare when they would play my knicks, the 90's basketball is something that i will never forget... He had the sickest offense game at the time with the post up and j, only Kobe and Melo have that style of game right now. Just like Jordan, Kobe is hated by many and soon Melo will be hated by many more than he already is. Guys like these who can score on anybody without using much effort last so long in the league and you either love them or hate them. I hated Jordan and Kobe thank god Melo is a knick, i would of hated him too...

Teams feared Jordan. They have feared Kobe for some stretches of his career. I am not sure anyone fears Melo dude.

Pierzynski4Prez
09-06-2012, 01:42 PM
He did beat the Monstars basically by himself. That right there says enough.

IKnowHoops
09-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Teams feared Jordan. They have feared Kobe for some stretches of his career. I am not sure anyone fears Melo dude.

Agreed, mentioning Melo in the same sentence as Jordan doesn't really make much sense. I'd put Iverson in that convo before i put Carmelo in there. Melo can score, Ivo can score more. Thats what they have in common with Mike. Jordan scored more than both, and much more efficiently which is a huge offensive difference between Jordan and every other scorer out there. He also Dominated both ends of the court. Melo and Ivo cant say that about themselves. to keep it real Lebron is the only one that deserves to be in the convo even know there games are different. The end result is they both score alot. The both score at very efficient levels. They both dominate both ends of the court. Jordan is a better closer. Lebron is a better facilitator/rebounder/and can defend every position. Lebron is also the better athlete though they probably are the same speed and jumping ability, Lebron does it with two more inches and 65 more pounds.

DetAnth
09-06-2012, 02:39 PM
I will add, he filled every arena, and when he was on the floor, bench, it didn't matter, everyone paid attention to what he was doing. Visiting teams fans would cheer a monster dunk on their own guy. He was just a player who brought the level of play up when he stepped on the floor. If he seemed like he was going thru a quiet period, or your team made a run, he would come out and literally take over. Best player I have ever seen, easily.

I've been to recent NBA games, but haven't quite experienced anything like what you all are describing lol, of course Lebron is one of the best players, but Jordan, even through the television or youtube, he looks so effortless and free, never nervous.

You get that feeling of what the hell is he gonna do next etc.

KingsPhillies
09-06-2012, 02:42 PM
He did beat the Monstars basically by himself. That right there says enough.

Hey now, let's give Bill Murray some credit!

But seriously, words cannot accurately convey what it was like to watch him play live. The man could single-handedly take control of the game. He was virtually unstoppable. No other player has literally made my jaw drop as Jordan did on the few occasions I was able to see him play live. Those who deny his greatness are just kidding themselves. But part of being great is having a lot of haters. Personally, I absolutely loathe Kobe, but cannot deny that the man is one of the great ones. My hatred just adds to that. That being said, Kobe pails in comparison to Jordan. MJ revolutionized the game...something to which few players can lay claim.

JiffyMix88
09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
saw him drop 40 when he was 40 no joke

you take those ****ing lies and you get the **** outta here with them!

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I've been to recent NBA games, but haven't quite experienced anything like what you all are describing lol, of course Lebron is one of the best players, but Jordan, even through the television or youtube, he looks so effortless and free, never nervous.

You get that feeling of what the hell is he gonna do next etc.

Some of it may have been that back then, there wasn't HD, or online feeds to games, updates by the second, etc. The live experience was SOOOOOOO much more awesome than watching it at home. Nowadays, with technology, its much easier to get a great experience right at home. But it always awesome to watch the very best in their sports up close. Watching on television does no justice to watching a player in person, up close. I actually grew a respect for Iverson when I watched him up close that I never had before that.

ewmania
09-06-2012, 03:03 PM

lol he was a perfect shooting guard

a high volume scorer that shot over 50%, closest is probably durant in that department of high volume scorers

Da Knicks
09-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Come fourth quarter Melo is feared by all teams, like I said either you love him or hate him but the talent is there. He will only get better now having a defensive minded coach and the same team. He is not in the Kobe, and Jordan convo but as far as resembling the respective games he is the closest atm.

NYTHRILLZ97
09-06-2012, 03:09 PM
idk win i see on youtube it dont really look like he was as good as kobe.................................. its like to me like he might have been playing against worse players

i think i would take kobe win its all done........

mj did get 6 rings but after this year kobe will probly be even with 6 rings 2 and if he gets 7 then he his overall career will be better wgen you consider the opponents........ lebron and melo is better then molone and barkely imo

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 03:12 PM
idk win i see on youtube it dont really look like he was as good as kobe.................................. its like to me like he might have been playing against worse players

mj did get 6 rings but after this year kobe will probly be even with 6 rings 2 and if he gets 7 then he his overall career will be better wgen you consider the opponents........ lebron and melo is better then molone and barkely imo

Well, you would be alone on your opinion outside of rabidly homer Laker fans.

Gibby23
09-06-2012, 03:21 PM
The only time I see any team or player live is against the kings because I live in Sacramento. Saw MJ in the early 90's, I was only about 10. Then Went to some Kings Lakers Playoff games in the 2000's and Saw the Shaq and Kobe Lakers and those were some of the best games I went to along with the Kings playoff game against the Wolves during KG's MVP year, I sat in Kevin Mchale's seat and didn't know it until he asked me if it was my seat. That game was crazy.

IKnowHoops
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM

All I can tell you is watch his younger days. Jordan stayed relevant for so long because he changed his game as he lost some of his athletic ability. Watch the early Jordan, his 3-4 years. I guarantee you will see things that Kobe's athletic ability doesnt allow him to do. Kobe is not better than Mike, and the statistics scream that.

JiffyMix88
09-06-2012, 03:34 PM
Yu know whats crazy,is that everyone in the 90s could shoot the ball. In todays game I can only think of a handful of people who can actually hit open jumpers consistantly. Todays game is about driving to the hole and either your gonna get the highly efficient lay-up or go to the foul line. Also most average big men in the 90s had at least some set of post-up moves they could use in todays game most big men get their points off missed shots or off pick and roll dives to the goal.

Skills are gone...miss the Jordan days... DAMN IT OP Y YOU GOTTA REMIND US WHAT WE DON"T HAVE ANYMORE!?!?

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Yu know whats crazy,is that everyone in the 90s could shoot the ball. In todays game I can only think of a handful of people who can actually hit open jumpers consistantly. Todays game is about driving to the hole and either your gonna get the highly efficient lay-up or go to the foul line. Also most average big men in the 90s had at least some set of post-up moves they could use in todays game most big men get their points off missed shots or off pick and roll dives to the goal.

Skills are gone...miss the Jordan days... DAMN IT OP Y YOU GOTTA REMIND US WHAT WE DON"T HAVE ANYMORE!?!?

I can't even watch college ball anymore. They just shoot 50 three's a game if they don't pound it down low. Kids running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The skill level of our youth has indeed gone downhill, and the sport has turned into more athletic based and specialization, all learned when they finally get to the NBA it seems.

smiddy012
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
How do people criticize Jordan? He gave LeBron- Kobe- All these players a direction to walk on. Nobody took over like Jordan, just like LeBron takes over now. Jordan is the father and LeBron is his son. LeBron can accomplish more than Jordan but Jordan created the way...

Lebron can accomplish more than Jordan if he:

A: Is the best player in the world going into his mid 30s.
B: Becomes a great shooter.
C: Becomes a great post-player.
D: Wins 6 more Finals MVPs.

And even then its debatable.

smiddy012
09-06-2012, 04:03 PM
100% agree... today the league is full of Floptastic Lala-Loopsie Queens.

NOBODY on the 90s Bulls Knicks flopped. Not even today -- it's not in their bloodlines.

Amen brother.

smiddy012
09-06-2012, 04:04 PM
Come fourth quarter Melo is feared by all teams, like I said either you love him or hate him but the talent is there. He will only get better now having a defensive minded coach and the same team. He is not in the Kobe, and Jordan convo but as far as resembling the respective games he is the closest atm.

Ummmm no he isn't. Lebron is. We're talking overall ability and the ability to single-handedly, consistently dominate teams into submission. I would also take Durant before Melo if we're talking similar games. **** I might even take Rose before Melo.

Also, relative to Jordan, Melo is a completely worthless, extremely terrible defender. Even compared to Kobe's hayday Melo is a really poor defender.

smiddy012
09-06-2012, 04:13 PM

:facepalm:

Kids these days...

ChicagoJ
09-06-2012, 04:14 PM
Some of it may have been that back then, there wasn't HD, or online feeds to games, updates by the second, etc. The live experience was SOOOOOOO much more awesome than watching it at home. Nowadays, with technology, its much easier to get a great experience right at home. But it always awesome to watch the very best in their sports up close. Watching on television does no justice to watching a player in person, up close. I actually grew a respect for Iverson when I watched him up close that I never had before that.

I agree with this, but much of the footage today you see comes from VCR tape recordings that have been played many times over or aged with time. The quality of seeing a game live on TV was much better than the footage you generally see now of the recordings. Although still nothing compares to seeing a game live in person.

NYTHRILLZ97
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I can't even watch college ball anymore. They just shoot 50 three's a game if they don't pound it down low. Kids running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The skill level of our youth has indeed gone downhill, and the sport has turned into more athletic based and specialization, all learned when they finally get to the NBA it seems.

I respectfully disagree with your statement that the skill level of our youth is diminishing. I think that it has more to do with the mentality of young players today. Team basketball and toughness is largely disappearing... the skills are still there.

It seems talented kids choose to model their game off of players like Carmelo instead of players like Rondo. I guess you can't blame them, ESPN loves Carmelo.

Da Knicks
09-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Ummmm no he isn't. Lebron is. We're talking overall ability and the ability to single-handedly, consistently dominate teams into submission. I would also take Durant before Melo if we're talking similar games. **** I might even take Rose before Melo.

Also, relative to Jordan, Melo is a completely worthless, extremely terrible defender. Even compared to Kobe's hayday Melo is a really poor defender.

Got to disagree Lebron is the best atm but the way he plays he is bound for a big injury because his best attribute is his quickness and speed. I hope he doesnt get injured because i would hate to see such a good player get hurt however his style of play leads me to think it will happen. As far as skill set, post up, jumper, getting easy buckets Melo, Kobe, and Pau are the only ones i see with a real skillset to score. Kevin Love has the skillset to rebound and he could turn out to be very good if he works more on his post moves. Most other guys are relying on being athletic and that leads to a quicker decline and getting the knees and ankles hurt.

Kevin Durant is a great scorer but he needs to gain weight and develop a post up game. His inability to post up players was shown in the finals when all his shots where jumpers instead of creating the double to get Harden and Westbrook better looks.

NYTHRILLZ97
09-06-2012, 04:38 PM
Jordan was mentally stronger than any player I've ever seen, in any sport. The only player in today's game that has a CHANCE to be on his level is LeBron. Jordan was like the player that LeBron was last year, only with a better shot, and a less size. Just a man absolutely possessed with winning and more talent than anyone on the court.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 04:40 PM
I respectfully disagree with your statement that the skill level of our youth is diminishing. I think that it has more to do with the mentality of young players today. Team basketball and toughness is largely disappearing... the skills are still there.

It seems talented kids choose to model their game off of players like Carmelo instead of players like Rondo. I guess you can't blame them, ESPN loves Carmelo.

I think that has a ton to do with the skill level in kids diminishing. We have all these new training techniques and skll drills for them to get better than the players of yesterday, yet they want to base their games off isolation ball stoppers, or big men who shoot 20 footers, instead of learning the team game of basketball. With so much of the talent not sticking around high level college basketball and learning the sport to a greater degree, they get thrown into the NBA, where it again turns to matchups and isolations, and they haven't studied the game like the players before them, so the learning curve kills a lot of younger players that may have ended up ballers.

Hawkeye15
09-06-2012, 04:42 PM
I agree with this, but much of the footage today you see comes from VCR tape recordings that have been played many times over or aged with time. The quality of seeing a game live on TV was much better than the footage you generally see now of the recordings. Although still nothing compares to seeing a game live in person.

I watch classic NBA all the time haha. The two biggest things I noticed:

- the resolution and presentation look like crap with the old games
- they wore ridiculously short shorts.

Da Knicks
09-06-2012, 04:49 PM

How so? If players would actually play like Melo we would actually see more of the old style ball. Melo likes to post up and do the bully ball that most players dont know how to do. Rondo likes to pass which is something that most players dont do too well either but running and gunning is what the league is doing nowadays...

N3TS
09-06-2012, 08:39 PM
I didn't think much of it back then, but miss it now that it's gone.

Pfeifer
09-06-2012, 08:50 PM
Jordan was amazing live. Only got to see him Ince but he dropped 50 on the grizzlies in Vancouver.

NYKalltheway
09-06-2012, 09:29 PM
kids today are better off watching tapes ( :D ) from the 80s and 90s than today's garbage

DetAnth
09-07-2012, 03:28 AM
I didn't think much of it back then, but miss it now that it's gone.

I get what you mean in a slight different way. I was very thrilled by watching him, I assumed when he left someone would take his place and continue to have that kind of magic, we see it isn't that simple lol.

DetAnth
09-07-2012, 03:39 AM
I think the fact that he was a living legend when he played, fans all over were excited to see what he was going do to. You could even hear the ooos and aaahs when he would get the ball at times, whether at home or on the road. So, just the atmosphere of the fans made the games he played in exciting. And Jordan was the best ever at entertaining the crowd and understanding he was an entertainer as well as a basketball player.

Haha nice, I can only imagine the whole arena on edge.