PDA

View Full Version : Gregg Popvich : Kawhi leonard will be the face of the spurs

Losoway
09-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Kawhi Leonard, who, according to Pop, will not only be one of the best player on the Spurs, but one of the best players in the entire NBA and the future face of the organization. Pop says Leonard is talented, hard-working and coachable, and is barely scratching the surface in terms of what he can accomplish.

http://www.nba.com/spurs/features/120830_pop_mailbag

Question: What kind of season do you see Kawhi Leonard having next season? Also, where do you see him in five years?

GP: I think he’s going to be a star. And as time goes on, he’ll be the face of the Spurs I think. At both ends of the court, he is really a special player. And what makes me be so confident about him is that he wants it so badly. He wants to be a good player, I mean a great player. He comes early, he stays late, and he’s coachable, he’s just like a sponge. When you consider he’s only had one year of college and no training camp yet, you can see that he’s going to be something else.

discuss

SteBO
09-01-2012, 04:35 PM
That's some high praise from Pop. I do like his game, but I find it hard to buy what pop is selling.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-01-2012, 04:36 PM
After Timmy D retires, that'll be a nice trio of Parker, Ginobili and Leonard, although they won't win much because ball games are won in the paint, and Pop has already said that he and Timmy will retire together.

THE MTL
09-01-2012, 04:39 PM
I dont see Leonard being no more than a role player even at his prime. But hey, Pop proved everyone wrong with Tony Parker and Manu Ginobli.

Slimsim
09-01-2012, 04:40 PM
how pop feel about leonard i feel about shump

dee279
09-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Interesting, but i dont see it. Shawn Marion type career is the best i see him being.

PhillyLuver
09-01-2012, 04:48 PM
SDSU pride!

flea
09-01-2012, 04:50 PM
I liked what I saw last year and I respect Pop's opinion probably the most among any NBA coach.

IndyRealist
09-01-2012, 04:57 PM
Leonard is a beast. I don't know that he'll ever be a #1 option on a contender, but I suspect he'll be a #2. Good athlete, takes defense personally, shoots the 3 and gets to the rim. What's not to like?

Twins Fanatic
09-01-2012, 05:23 PM
Totally agre, he works really well in Pop's system.

KB-Pau-DH2012
09-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Interesting, but i dont see it. Shawn Marion type career is the best i see him being.

How do you know? You only saw his rookie yr.

He was like the 4th option behind the Spurs big 3, but probably their 2nd most impactful player of the team behind TP.

JasonJohnHorn
09-01-2012, 05:41 PM
I hope so. It looks like the Spurs got yet another steal out of the draft. These guys seem to have the best scouts in the NBA hands down.

FraziersKnicks
09-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Pop is one of the few coaches in the league that I fully respect, so I trust his opinion of him... I'll be keeping a close eye on Kawhi's career from here on out to see if he's right.

KNICKS R BACK
09-01-2012, 05:47 PM
i agree...the kid was a stud at san diego state, then he came into the perfect system for him...with that size and athleticism and skill he will be groomed into the next cornerstone of the san antonio spurs...what a great organization, with great management and great personel...you have to love the spurs...greg pop is going to make a monster out of Kawhi

KNICKS R BACK
09-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I hope so. It looks like the Spurs got yet another steal out of the draft. These guys seem to have the best scouts in the NBA hands down.

agreed

Cal827
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM

LOL you make that sound like that would be a bad thing

KNICKS R BACK
09-01-2012, 05:49 PM

wow, :facepalm: ... when its all said and done, Kawhi Leonard >>> Shawn Marion by 100 miles...kawhi has the potential to be just as good if not better defensively and so much better offensively

douglas
09-01-2012, 05:50 PM
I think Kawhi Leonard might be a star one day because he is good at playing basketball.

49ersLALSFGiant
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
I think he'll be a good player but not a superstar. I think he'll have a Gerald Wallace type career

TheSource
09-01-2012, 05:54 PM
He wouldn't praise a player without good reason, and he proved in the past that his assumptions tend to be right.

Only if he said something about Tiago Splitter so we can hear Stephen A. Smith laugh his *** off about it. Tiaaagoo Sppplitter.

StarvingKnick22
09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
he just put alot on his shoulders lol

KNICKS R BACK
09-01-2012, 05:56 PM
I think Kawhi Leonard might be a star one day because he is good at playing basketball.

LOL was that a serious comment, i cant tell

KNICKS R BACK
09-01-2012, 05:57 PM
he just put alot on his shoulders lol

have you seen that kids wing span? LOL he's got plenty of room on his shoulders

Ebbs
09-01-2012, 06:00 PM
That's some high praise from Pop. I do like his game, but I find it hard to buy what pop is selling.

Pretty much this I see him being a high end role player at most. If he surpasses Bowen he will surpass my expectation.

dee279
09-01-2012, 06:05 PM
How do you know? You only saw his rookie yr.

He was like the 4th option behind the Spurs big 3, but probably their 2nd most impactful player of the team behind TP.

I cant tell the future so i dont know obviously just like you dont, Pop dont, and neither does Kawhi himself but its all called personal opinion and what i think he could turn out to be. I could be wrong and i could be right. Who knows? Guess what no one does till the time comes. Its called speculation.

dee279
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
LOL you make that sound like that would be a bad thing

No you just read it that way. Shawn Marion is a very good player but could never be a #1 option.

smith&wesson
09-01-2012, 06:10 PM
completely agree with popvich. kawhi has the talent, skill, will to be a great player. under the spurs system its not hard to see that he is going to flourish.

i think he is going to beast.

dee279
09-01-2012, 06:17 PM
wow, :facepalm: ... when its all said and done, Kawhi Leonard >>> Shawn Marion by 100 miles...kawhi has the potential to be just as good if not better defensively and so much better offensively

Maybe so but averaging 18 and 10 with 2 steals and about 2 blocks and say 2-3 assist is nothing to look down on. And yes i know Shawn Marion didnt average that for his career but he put up stats like that in seasons, hes a great defender still and always was. If Kawhi comes out better then the Matrix, then he will defiantly be a superstar becuz the Matrix could really stuff the stat sheet in his prime. As for Kawhi, With Pop as his coach, im sure his full potential will be reached. What hos ceiling is unknown by us all.

Chronz
09-01-2012, 06:18 PM

Pretty much this I see him being a high end role player at most. If he surpasses Bowen he will surpass my expectation.
Bowen was never as good as rookie leonard

dee279
09-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Um... Hmmm... We should all put this post in back of our minds before we post anything else. Guys if you didnt know, now u know. Kawhi Leanord, the NBA player, is good at playing basketball. You gon learn today

tredigs
09-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Somebody should tell Pop that Kawhi was actually in school for two years, not one.

Him and Kenneth Faried remind me a lot of each other. They'll both be monsters. Faces of the franchise type players? Not out of the question, but I'm not seeing it on contenders.

StinkEye
09-01-2012, 07:11 PM
Somebody should tell Pop that Kawhi was actually in school for two years, not one.

Him and Kenneth Faried remind me a lot of each other. They'll both be monsters. Faces of the franchise type players? Not out of the question, but I'm not seeing it on contenders.

Kawhi > Kenneth

StinkEye
09-01-2012, 07:12 PM

:laugh2:

Raps18-19 Champ
09-01-2012, 07:15 PM
I love Kawhi. I don't think he'll be a superstar type of player though. I do think he can have an impact similar to Iguodala's.

Hawkeye15
09-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I find it moronic to argue with a statement made by Pops, he is one of the best basketball minds alive. I will trust him here.

NYKnicks4511
09-01-2012, 07:32 PM
I think he can be a rich man's prime Ron Artest, when he was putting up 20+ with lockdown D. Leonard will get more boards than Artest did too. Kid is going to be good for a long time, and he's got the right coach to get him there.

spurs4#5
09-01-2012, 07:51 PM
I wonder how many people posting here who say Leonard wont be more than a good role player actually saw Leonard play on a consistent basis? Leonard was by far more than anyone expected him to be in his rookie year...and that's without a training camp...the dude will be one of the new faces of the NBE

Hawkeye15
09-01-2012, 07:55 PM
I wonder how many people posting here who say Leonard wont be more than a good role player actually saw Leonard play on a consistent basis? Leonard was by far more than anyone expected him to be in his rookie year...and that's without a training camp...the dude will be one of the new faces of the NBE

I don't see him as a superstar, but dude, he was really, really good last year, and has the tools of an all star, no doubt.

Jays Claw
09-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Pressure much?

I like Leonard, and I think he fits in extremely well with the Spurs' system. However, such high praise and incredibly ridiculous expectations on a young kid is unfair. Tough on Leonard to step into Duncan's legendary shoes.

Jarvo
09-01-2012, 08:03 PM
He fits the Spurs mold and happy to have him, He will be better this year :clap:

Hustla23
09-01-2012, 08:14 PM
:laugh:

koreancabbage
09-01-2012, 08:20 PM

really? so you're saying "wow" to his comment and then you follow up with your own/this comment? buahahaha

you basically shot down an opinion and then you fill it up with another opinion that seems more far fetched than the first one you put down and that you can magically quantify it.

IndyRealist
09-01-2012, 08:42 PM
Kawhi > Kenneth

It may not be the Spurs or Nuggets, but one of these guys is going to put a team over the top for a title. Superstars make a contender, but blue collar guys like these make contenders into champions.

BH-Sports
09-01-2012, 09:15 PM
Pop is one of the few coaches in the league that I fully respect, so I trust his opinion of him... I'll be keeping a close eye on Kawhi's career from here on out to see if he's right.

This

Losoway
09-01-2012, 10:11 PM
kennith farreid >>> kawhi

im honestly not impressed with leonard game . his jump shot is ugly

Gritz
09-01-2012, 10:18 PM
He won mvp on my nba 2k in year 2020

Gritz
09-01-2012, 10:21 PM
kennith farreid >>> kawhi

im honestly not impressed with leonard game . his jump shot is ugly

lol

UnWantedTheory
09-01-2012, 11:50 PM
Wow. Did some of you actually watch this kid play? I am not sure he is going to be a "Superstar", but he could certainly be a borderline "Superstar". I see him being a consistent All-Star caliber player. Perhaps not a LeBron #1, but perhaps a Melo or a very good #2. In a small market like SA & once the Big 3 are done, sure, I see him as their franchise player.

Bruno
09-02-2012, 01:53 AM
he had great numbers for a rookie. he'll be an all-star SF out west with Durant eventually. whenever he pases Iguodala (Denver)/Gay (Memphis).

It'll be interesting to see who gets the most all-star love out of the Leonard, Batum, Gallinari SF class of the west in the years to come.

Losoway
09-02-2012, 04:13 AM
leonard would never be the caliber player melo is. Leonard at best is a decent starter

i think gregg got him and kennith farried mistaken

koreancabbage
09-02-2012, 08:13 AM
leonard would never be the caliber player melo is. Leonard at best is a decent starter

i think gregg got him and kennith farried mistaken

why do you keep bringing this up? they play different positions. you think Gregg got something like this messed up b/c this future HOF COACH can't tell the difference b/w two players, who has coached many players in the NBA and say that Leonard is going to be good (not a superstar, but just good)?

then you've come to the realization of this...

who the F are you?:facepalm:

dee279
09-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Wow. Did some of you actually watch this kid play? I am not sure he is going to be a "Superstar", but he could certainly be a borderline "Superstar". I see him being a consistent All-Star caliber player. Perhaps not a LeBron #1, but perhaps a Melo or a very good #2. In a small market like SA & once the Big 3 are done, sure, I see him as their franchise player.

Perhaps a Melo?! People are really underrating Melo now. Melo has one of the best offensive games in the league and i doubt Leanord comes close to Melo in comparison to that. He can be an all star but i dont see superstar. Its your opinion but camparing him to Melo?

:. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }. -._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%` --==``

Oldmantrash
09-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Let's be real here, Leonard is a talented player, but he just fit great into there system.
To say he will be a superstar is far fetched, Pop, is boosting confidence in his player.

b@llhog24
09-02-2012, 10:45 AM

Perhaps a Melo?! People are really underrating Melo now. Melo has one of the best offensive games in the league and i doubt Leanord comes close to Melo in comparison to that. He can be an all star but i dont see superstar. Its your opinion but camparing him to Melo?

:. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
. . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
. . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
. . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
. . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
. . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
. . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
. . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
. . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
. . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
. . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
. . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
. . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
. . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
. . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
. . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
,,_. . . . . }. -._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
. .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%` --==``

Melo can't play defense as well as him.

dee279
09-02-2012, 11:11 AM

Iknow he cant. Thats y i said the Melo comparison was not a good comparison and that Kawhi will not be able to compare with Melos offensive game just like Melo wont compare to KL defensive game. Yes they are both SF and thats where the comparison begins and ends. Melo is an offensive player and right now, Kawhi is a defensive player who has limited scoring ability when it comes to an offensive game and ability. They're too different of players to even be compared.

seikou8
09-02-2012, 11:13 AM

so nash dirk and bosh all play no defense we don't talk about it as much as we do melo.

Byronicle
09-02-2012, 11:34 AM
so nash dirk and bosh all play no defense we don't talk about it as much as we do melo.

bosh has defense especially against the pick and roll

reason why coach K opted to put bosh instead of dwight in beijing

and nash and dirk both try to play defense, they don't give up often or play lazy

JesusWears24
09-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Ive always like Kawhi especially when his SD state team would always battle Jimmer

seikou8
09-02-2012, 11:53 AM

and nash and dirk both try to play defense, they don't give up often or play lazy

so they are still bad like melo that is like saying at least he tries to get good grades and he is getting fs same as the other kids. even harden and deron Williams defense isn't great i am not saying its ok but people act like melo is the only one.

Losoway
09-02-2012, 01:01 PM

you sound stupid ..some people are just more talented at staying in front of there opponent then others

I TAKE IT YOU NEVER WATCHED NASH PLAY. nash plays zero defense at all

Losoway
09-02-2012, 01:07 PM
why do you keep bringing this up?

then you've come to the realization of this...

who the F are you?:facepalm:

keep bringing this up ? this is my second time stating this and the first time was in response to someone else. Kawhi and Kennith always get compared to each other because of there defense. even in the nba draft scouts compared them .

your argument about them being different positions is stupid. they are the same height

and then i came to the realization....im more known and relevant on this site then you . it must hurt dont it

Byronicle
09-02-2012, 01:22 PM
keep bringing this up ? this is my second time stating this and the first time was in response to someone else. Kawhi and Kennith always get compared to each other because of there defense. even in the nba draft scouts compared them .

your argument about them being different positions is stupid. they are the same height

and then i came to the realization....im more known and relevant on this site then you . it must hurt dont it

lol ok big boy, nothing really to be bragging about it is PSD afterall

and tbh usually i skim past your posts

edit: i think you are more known for being obnoxious and bias, that no one could really care too much about

b@llhog24
09-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Defense for a point guard isn't as important as the other positions plus Nash is one of the best offensive players in the history of the game. Melo? Not so much. Also Dirk and Bosh aren't liabilities on the defensive end like Melo is.

ChongInc.
09-02-2012, 05:14 PM

Toronto fans and knick fans have an argument. The spurs have the coach and system on those teams though.

ChongInc.
09-02-2012, 05:18 PM
I respect byonicles opinion much more than losoway's.

Losoway
09-02-2012, 05:19 PM
lol ok big boy, nothing really to be bragging about it is PSD afterall

and tbh usually i skim past your posts

i dont know you never seen you anything . stay that way

Gram
09-02-2012, 07:24 PM
I really like Kawhi Leonard. I think he's going to be a very good player. Maybe like a Tayshaun Prince. I'll give SA Daye for him. :cool:

MoisesFTW
09-02-2012, 07:47 PM
i like Kawhi i think hes a good player with nice potential but i dont think going to be something special

LA_Raiders
09-02-2012, 08:30 PM
He might be, Ginobly and TD are at the end of their carrers...

Sportfan
09-03-2012, 02:03 AM
Kawhi Leonard can stop any Small forward in basketball. Including Lebron and Durant.

He is efficient and has the it factor to put in 20 any night

all star player

KAWHII!

naps
09-03-2012, 02:20 AM
I love Pop but no just NO. He's very good player but nowhere near to be a true franchise cornerstone.

TRF929
09-03-2012, 02:57 AM
Everyone needs to realize that he's playing in a system with 3 key guys, limiting his play right now. They needed him to play a specific role last year and he did, with no camp preparation and that's shooting outside 3's which no one figured he could do, with a horrible percentage out of college. Watching some and hearing about what he did in summer league loosens the perception he had last season, as they let him lead and demonstrate his potential. It's also a boost that he was able to train against the US Olympians, I'm sure a lot of first year role players are selected for that. I'm sure he learned more out of select team than anyone else, as Pop says "he's like a sponge, absorbing knowledge". I'm not saying he'll be a top 5 player, I'm just saying he has a lot of potential and the first part of reaching the top is getting there emotionally and Pop is helping him do it.

JayW_1023
09-03-2012, 08:14 AM
He was a rookie who can shoot, pass and play on and off the ball D. Those are good starting points.

He can become a monster if he polishes his offense.

koreancabbage
09-03-2012, 09:35 AM
keep bringing this up ? this is my second time stating this and the first time was in response to someone else. Kawhi and Kennith always get compared to each other because of their defense. even in the nba draft scouts compared them .

buahahaha

if you were watching from last year- these two are incomparable unless you are talking about career success. different skill set and what they mean to their teams

essentially you're saying: "same height must equal same skill set and position"

i'm comparing you to Gregg Popovich, not me.

meh you its a forum, i'm glad you joined and you can type and you base your opinion in such a subjective matter. I'm glad you voiced your opinion and your opinion on yourself over others cuz that goes a long way in convincing yourself that your opinions are right and that you actually mean something when you say it.

yup at the end of the day, it is still an opinion. =)

Mave1002
09-03-2012, 10:07 AM
Who would you compare him to?

koreancabbage
09-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Who would you compare him to?

well you can't compare him to Kenneth Faried thats for sure. Leonard has the game of a small forward. he can shoot, handle the ball, and somewhat create his own shot-either dribble drive or shooting it.

Faried's game is more back to the basket, receive in the post and is more based on the power of his position. He has a nice post move where he just hook shots over the opponent rather consistently. He seldom waits for the defender to get into defensive position. He can't create his own outside of the post. i haven't seen him handle the ball exclusively but that that's bc he might not have good handles or not his strength. That nuggets team doesn't need him to handle the ball with the plethora of wing players. Now that Iggy is in town, Faried is going to get more touches, presumably (no Nene as well helps his cause), and that McGee is a talented big man as well where high low plays could happen a lot.

additionally: If i had to take one of the two players, obviously I like Leonard's skill set more- If you can make 3 pointers and shoot a high percentage while you can defend the opposing best wing player (on most nights) rather above average - just b/c he's a wing player. Its a guard's game. Faried is very intriguing though- just have to see his development on the rest of the game- we all know he can dunk on people and has a semi-post game.

Sportfan
09-03-2012, 12:25 PM

who the **** is this guy :laugh:

greg_ory_2005
09-03-2012, 01:15 PM
You can tell by watching him play that he wants to be great. He's still really young, and seems to have the work ethic needed to be a star. I love Kawhi! :clap:

koreancabbage
09-03-2012, 01:43 PM
You can tell by watching him play that he wants to be great. He's still really young, and seems to have the work ethic needed to be a star. I love Kawhi! :clap:

I wanted the Raptors to get another mid first rounder to get him. i like the potential for sure and he has the backing of a HOF player and coach in Duncan and Popovich to learn from. Couldn't be more happy for him to be in that situation.