PDA

View Full Version : Wilt Chamberlain: The Original Dwight Howard

StarvingKnick22
08-31-2012, 05:09 PM
There has never been a more dominant and colorful player like Wilt Chamberlin. He has been one of the first to take full advantage of his height and full potential. Dwight Howard is mostly hated now for what "He Did" to the Magic. I was reading about Wilt, and it gave me a thought.
Let me tell you what happend:
Wilt wanted a change of scenery in 1968. So that Summer, he requested a trade. He basically said "Trade me Anywere but not just Anywhere." So in return they took their time with it. This was before the NBA had Free Agency, so they didnt have to trade him. And so they claimed they werent trading him. Wilt got mad and made threats to go to the former ABA. He was then traded on July 9,1968. As we all now he was traded to the Lakers.
What did I realise? Its much similar to what Dwight did, but, we hate Dwight. Dwight requested a trade. They didnt care, they took their time, and then claimed they were gonna keep him for the next season. He claimed, similar to Chamberlain, he wasnt going to play and he was gonna sit out for the entire season. So we call him a *****? He finally got traded to Lakers and again, like for Wilt, the other team got almost nothing in return.
Dwight promised nothing to Orlando. Why are they mad? And isnt it the noob at the FO's fault for bullshitting with him? Wilt was way before my time, and he is one of my All-Time favorites. But Should we hate him too?

dnewguy
08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
I have seen Wilt Chamberlain game/stats...Dwight Howard, you're no Wilt Chamberlain.

Chronz
08-31-2012, 05:23 PM
Your neglecting the part where ownership reneged on a hand shaken deal between Wilt and their deceased former owner. Wilt also regretted that decision, he let his greed and animosity take him away from the best teammates hes ever had.

StarvingKnick22
08-31-2012, 05:29 PM
Your neglecting the part where ownership reneged on a hand shaken deal between Wilt and their deceased former owner. Wilt also regretted that decision, he let his greed and animosity take him away from the best teammates hes ever had.

Well yes, but to have this thread make more sense, i didnt put it there because of the comparison.

Chronz
08-31-2012, 05:50 PM
Well thats a pretty important fact your leaving out. Lots of players have forced trades, very few have done so as childishly, selfishly and as ignorantly as Dwight has.

Ebbs
08-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Well yes, but to have this thread make more sense, i didnt put it there because of the comparison.

:laugh:

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 05:59 PM
Dwight comes more from the Bill Russell lineage of big men. Not like a 25 or 30 pt scorer like Wilt or Shaq, but just flat out dominant on the defensive end as both Russ and Dwight could easily get your 20 boards and 6-7 blocks. Just defensive beasts.

StarvingKnick22
08-31-2012, 06:02 PM
Well thats a pretty important fact your leaving out. Lots of players have forced trades, very few have done so as childishly, selfishly and as ignorantly as Dwight has.

well, i thought the wayyou said it, wilt acted childish as well, seeing that he said he wanted to be with the stars in LA

3RDASYSTEM
08-31-2012, 06:10 PM
KB-PAU-DH

WILT was easily blocking 10shots per game just no stats were kept for it, and led league in assists, ultimate beast..he avg same or more boards than RUSSELL...DWIGHT/RUSSELL couldnt hold his strap if you looking at it like that,individual player...AUERBACH said if he had WILT they would have won all 13 ships

SHAQ could have avg 4-6blocks and 16-18 boards had he just stayed at that thin orlando level for his LA tenure, or just half of it(4yrs)...PHILJAX would have motivated him like he did his 2000 season

b@llhog24
08-31-2012, 06:33 PM
There has never been a more dominant and colorful player like Wilt Chamberlin. He has been one of the first to take full advantage of his height and full potential. Dwight Howard is mostly hated now for what "He Did" to the Magic. I was reading about Wilt, and it gave me a thought.
Wilt wanted a change of scenery in 1968. So that Summer, he requested a trade. He basically said "Trade me Anywere but not just Anywhere." So in return they took their time with it. This was before the NBA had Free Agency, so they didnt have to trade him. And so they claimed they werent trading him. Wilt got mad and made threats to go to the former ABA. He was then traded on July 9,1968. As we all now he was traded to the Lakers.
What did I realise? Its much similar to what Dwight did, but, we hate Dwight. Dwight requested a trade. They didnt care, they took their time, and then claimed they were gonna keep him for the next season. He claimed, similar to Chamberlain, he wasnt going to play and he was gonna sit out for the entire season. So we call him a *****? He finally got traded to Lakers and again, like for Wilt, the other team got almost nothing in return.
Dwight promised nothing to Orlando. Why are they mad? And isnt it the noob at the FO's fault for bullshitting with him? Wilt was way before my time, and he is one of my All-Time favorites. But Should we hate him too?

"Time heals all wounds"

KB-Pau-DH2012
08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
KB-PAU-DH

WILT was easily blocking 10shots per game just no stats were kept for it, and led league in assists, ultimate beast..he avg same or more boards than RUSSELL...DWIGHT/RUSSELL couldnt hold his strap if you looking at it like that,individual player...AUERBACH said if he had WILT they would have won all 13 ships

SHAQ could have avg 4-6blocks and 16-18 boards had he just stayed at that thin orlando level for his LA tenure, or just half of it(4yrs)...PHILJAX would have motivated him like he did his 2000 season

Wow, I didn't know Red actually came out and would say that. Isn't that sort of a slap to Russell?

b@llhog24
08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Dwight comes more from the Bill Russell lineage of big men. Not like a 25 or 30 pt scorer like Wilt or Shaq, but just flat out dominant on the defensive end as both Russ and Dwight could easily get your 20 boards and 6-7 blocks. Just defensive beasts.

Wilt was a great defender, his offensive prowess just overshadows that fact.

Raps08-09 Champ
08-31-2012, 06:38 PM
Wilt is not the original Howard. He's the original Wilt.

lookie8
08-31-2012, 07:08 PM

This doesn't really explain his trade from Warriors to Sixers. There was no ABA then.

asandhu23
08-31-2012, 07:39 PM
Wilt is not the original Howard. He's the original Wilt.

Exactly. Wilt's ashes rolled around in their urn after hearing about this comparison.

asandhu23
08-31-2012, 07:39 PM
"Time heals all wounds"

Wilt's dead and people still hate him. some things never heal.

Chronz
08-31-2012, 08:01 PM
This doesn't really explain his trade from Warriors to Sixers. There was no ABA then.

That might be a more apt comparison to Dwight but even then its not really comparable. The Warriors were a floundering franchise at the time and couldnt afford Wilt's salary, IIRC there was also some bad blood between the 2 sides, something to do with Wilt's ailing heart, and the disagreement on its severity.

lookie8
08-31-2012, 08:16 PM
That might be a more apt comparison to Dwight but even then its not really comparable. The Warriors were a floundering franchise at the time and couldnt afford Wilt's salary, IIRC there was also some bad blood between the 2 sides, something to do with Wilt's ailing heart, and the disagreement on its severity.

And they got nothing in return for Wilt. You think management figured they would be better of with nothing instead of Wilt.

Warriors were doing horribly when ilt got traded, and that was because Wilt was obviously playing like he didn't care, and was about to bring down the franchise.

The threat of bringing down the franchise was alsu the reason the Sixers traded Wilt.

The threat of bringing down the Lakers was the reason Lakers made virtually no attempt to stop Wilt from walking away.

Believe Bucks traded Alcindor for the same reason, although Bucks did much better in the trade than Warriors and Sixers did in their Wilt trades.

#Shumpert Up
08-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Wilt > dwight x1000000

Chronz
08-31-2012, 09:18 PM

And they got nothing in return for Wilt. You think management figured they would be better of with nothing instead of Wilt.

Warriors were doing horribly when ilt got traded, and that was because Wilt was obviously playing like he didn't care, and was about to bring down the franchise.

The threat of bringing down the franchise was alsu the reason the Sixers traded Wilt.

The threat of bringing down the Lakers was the reason Lakers made virtually no attempt to stop Wilt from walking away.

Believe Bucks traded Alcindor for the same reason, although Bucks did much better in the trade than Warriors and Sixers did in their Wilt trades.
I'm not familiar with how/why he left LA, all I remember was that he tried to jump to the ABA only for either the league or the Lakers to file a law suit

I do have a hard time believing Wilt was bringing down the Warriors, he was really ill and came into the season out of shape and like 20lbs thinner or something. It was an awful team to boot. They traded him for the reasons I gave but also because they already had his replacement lined up.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2012, 09:35 PM
Back then, there was no free agency. The Big O went to court to get the players the right to choose where they played, and that was a battle that happened afterward. Wilt had no recourse but to demand a trade. That is not the situation Howard was in. Howard situation is more similar to Garnett's situation in Minny, and Garnett wanted out of there BADLY!!!! But he was signed for a couple more seasons, so he, behind the scenes and never publically, asked for a trade. In the media he said he was committed to winning and never asked for coaches and GMs to be fired.

Wilt's situation was far different from Dwights. As I said, Dwights is more similar to the Garnett case in Minny, and as we saw there, things can be handled quite differently. And the T-Wolves got a quality player back in Al Jefferson who was young and posting nearly 20/10, so even though he wasn't as good defensively as KG, he still gave the Wolves something to work with.

beasted86
08-31-2012, 09:41 PM

:laugh:

^this.

StinkEye
08-31-2012, 10:04 PM

this is probably one of the top 10 most unintentionally funny things that I've read on PSD.

lookie8
08-31-2012, 10:56 PM
I'm not familiar with how/why he left LA, all I remember was that he tried to jump to the ABA only for either the league or the Lakers to file a law suit

I do have a hard time believing Wilt was bringing down the Warriors, he was really ill and came into the season out of shape and like 20lbs thinner or something. It was an awful team to boot. They traded him for the reasons I gave but also because they already had his replacement lined up.

That team went to the Finals the year before.

And when Wilt was traded, he was averaging 39 ppg & 23.5 rpg.

Couldn't have been too sick.

bagwell368
08-31-2012, 11:17 PM
I have seen Wilt Chamberlain game/stats...Dwight Howard, you're no Wilt Chamberlain.

Wilt:

Look at whom he was traded for...

Read up on the comments his coaches had for him

Read up on the famous game 7 in the Finals under Van Breda Kollff

Never fouling out?

Also, Wilt's offensive moves/skill wasn't much better (if at all better) than what Howard has today. Both suck at FT's.

b@llhog24
08-31-2012, 11:34 PM
Wilt's dead and people still hate him. some things never heal.

Well time isn't finished yet. :p

lookie8
08-31-2012, 11:39 PM
Well time isn't finished yet. :p

Who hates Wilt?

b@llhog24
08-31-2012, 11:53 PM
Who hates Wilt?

Not sure who specifically but asandhu23 is a big Warriors fan so maybe he knows. :shrug:

Sssmush
09-01-2012, 12:39 AM

Everybody wants to be free. Nobody wants to play somewhere they're not happy, and to be forced to stay there. It is natural human behavior to try to force your way free, one way or another.

The people who "hate on" or judge players for trying to get to where they want to be are being two-faced about it, not considering how they would feel in the same situation.

Dwight actually did Orlando a favor by opting in at their request, allowing them to wind up with 6 draft picks and 6 players or whatever, instead of flat out nothing if he went unrestricted. Ultimately, that's all Orlando wanted, was that Dwight wouldn't leave them flat with no compensation, so that's what they ended up with. I don't really see any valid grounds to criticize Dwight, unless you think he should be wildly grateful for making the Orlando Magic tens of millions of dollars in pure profit, gear sales, and playoff dollars.

your welcome.

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 12:43 AM

Wilt didn't have an ailing heart until after he retired. He couldn't handle the weight gain after a lifetime of track, Globetrotters, women, volleyball and basketball ( he was in playoffs a lot )

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 12:44 AM
Not sure who specifically but asandhu23 is a big Warriors fan so maybe he knows. :shrug:

He still has that loser label the media threw at him. Couldn't get rid of it.

Chronz
09-01-2012, 03:58 AM
That team went to the Finals the year before.

And when Wilt was traded, he was averaging 39 ppg & 23.5 rpg.

Couldn't have been too sick.

That team also started the season 1-6 without Wilt. And even after a run to the Finals they were losing serious cash.

LOL @ couldnt have been too sick, yea he only had to be taken out of games due to chest pain. I guess being hospitalized for an entire month happens very casually for you. The man played sooner than he should have and his numbers were the worst they had been since his rookie season. The man wasnt healthy, his team was crap without him playing at an absolutely unparalleled level. He loved San Francisco, dont try to portray him as someone who tanked the season just to get traded.

Chronz
09-01-2012, 04:05 AM
Wilt didn't have an ailing heart until after he retired. He couldn't handle the weight gain after a lifetime of track, Globetrotters, women, volleyball and basketball ( he was in playoffs a lot )
Thats not true, Wilt complained about arrhythmia in his early 20s. I remember that because it hit home with me(coarctation of the aorta). I was wrong about the affliction tho, as the story go's, the Warriors apparently misdiagnosed him with a heart ailment of some kind but when Wilt went to his own doctors the diagnosis was pancreatitis. Still that could have all been a cover up, because in 1972 his old coach told the press that he actually did have a heart attack.

Robert Cherry (Author of Larger than life), says that owner Mieuli had opinions from other doctors who said Wilt had heart trouble, with one telling him that Wilt wouldn’t live beyond a year. I suspect its true because it somewhat explains why he was traded for nothing. Also, Mieuli admitted years later that he was “young and dumb” and didn’t get enough for him.

I remember some talk about Wilt taking a hit to the mouth that pushed his teath upward and led to him fighting dental problems and blood stream poisoning that gos with it, it caused him to miss some games with the Warriors. BTW, Wilt couldnt have been pleased with Gottlieb downplaying the vicious assault, he didnt complain to the league office. Im convinced that, and a bad ticker in general, led to his demise.

Chronz
09-01-2012, 04:21 AM
Wilt:

Look at whom he was traded for...
Look at why he was traded

Read up on the comments his coaches had for him
Look at the crap coaches he had, look up the comments the owners had on said coaches.

Read up on the famous game 7 in the Finals under Van Breda Kollff
Is that suppose to be a count against Wilt? That game proves Butch's incompetence. Hell his entire offensive philosophy was asinine, notice how after he was gone, the first thing Mullaney did was scrap the offense and began to feature Wilt ahead of the inefficient/aging Elgin.

Never fouling out?
He also played great defense in the playoffs despite foul trouble.

Also, Wilt's offensive moves/skill wasn't much better (if at all better) than what Howard has today. Both suck at FT's.
Maybe so, but Wilt was so much more athletic and graceful. Dont much care how pretty it looked, I just wish he didnt shoot so many fadeaways (something Dwight definitely doesnt have in his arsenal tho).

naps
09-01-2012, 04:42 AM

Are you kidding? Just because Wilt was one of the most dominant offensive forces this league has ever seen doesn't mean he's any less of a defender. And you are talking about blocking and rebounding? Dwight can only dream about blocking and rebounding like Wilt. Wilt had a career avg of 23 rpg. Blocks weren't recorded back then but it's safe to assume he was blocking 10 shots a game on a regular basis. Same goes for Russell in defense, rebounding, and blocking. Now if you meant Dwight is more known for his defense than offense just like Ruseell was back then, I understand.

tredigs
09-01-2012, 05:01 AM
We're comparing a 6'9.5'' limited center coming off back surgery - with no true championship level tenacity ever been shown in his game - to an Olympic level high jumper who stood 7+ feet tall with dexterity and skill Dwight could only dream of? Really?

Beyond that, people are talking about him in Russell's category? Possibly the smartest, most determined big (wow, how this is underrated) and arguably the ultimate combo of rebounding/shot-blocking in the games history alongside the aforementioned? Is this thread a joke?

The defense rests. I can only hope you kids are kidding yourselves. Dwight Howard is a nobody compared to the greats. That's no knock on him. He's a superstar in his own right in this generation of bigs. But this guy would get absolutely chewed up and spit out by 10-15+ of the greats. He has no grit. And now he may have no back.

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 05:22 AM
Thats not true, Wilt complained about arrhythmia in his early 20s. I remember that because it hit home with me(coarctation of the aorta). I was wrong about the affliction tho, as the story go's, the Warriors apparently misdiagnosed him with a heart ailment of some kind but when Wilt went to his own doctors the diagnosis was pancreatitis. Still that could have all been a cover up, because in 1972 his old coach told the press that he actually did have a heart attack.

Robert Cherry (Author of Larger than life), says that owner Mieuli had opinions from other doctors who said Wilt had heart trouble, with one telling him that Wilt wouldn’t live beyond a year. I suspect its true because it somewhat explains why he was traded for nothing. Also, Mieuli admitted years later that he was “young and dumb” and didn’t get enough for him.

I remember some talk about Wilt taking a hit to the mouth that pushed his teath upward and led to him fighting dental problems and blood stream poisoning that gos with it, it caused him to miss some games with the Warriors. BTW, Wilt couldnt have been pleased with Gottlieb downplaying the vicious assault, he didnt complain to the league office. Im convinced that, and a bad ticker in general, led to his demise.

Yes. I do know that. He had a heart problem which Wilt talked about in his first autobiography ( Wilt: Just like any other 7 foot black millionaire who lives next door ). Apparently Wilt was a serious drinker and had to cut it down a lot. He was scared that he had something far more serious because he would get different doctors each saying something totally different. His heart wasn't ailing but yeah, he had an irregular heartbeat which was something a lot of doctors didn't know about back then.

I forget which book I read ( it was definitely written after he died ) that in the last two years of his life, Wilt gained a lot of weight. He lost his athleticism and his body just couldn't take it.

StarvingKnick22
09-01-2012, 08:36 AM
wilt never played a game without more than 10 points or 8 rebounds.

StarvingKnick22
09-01-2012, 08:43 AM
We're comparing a 6'9.5'' limited center coming off back surgery - with no true championship level tenacity ever been shown in his game - to an Olympic level high jumper who stood 7+ feet tall with dexterity and skill Dwight could only dream of? Really?

Beyond that, people are talking about him in Russell's category? Possibly the smartest, most determined big (wow, how this is underrated) and arguably the ultimate combo of rebounding/shot-blocking in the games history alongside the aforementioned? Is this thread a joke?

The defense rests. I can only hope you kids are kidding yourselves. Dwight Howard is a nobody compared to the greats. That's no knock on him. He's a superstar in his own right in this generation of bigs. But this guy would get absolutely chewed up and spit out by 10-15+ of the greats. He has no grit. And now he may have no back.

Dwight is 6'11. He won the DPOY 3 times. This thread isnnt about how good he is compared to Wilt. Get your facts straight.

tredigs
09-01-2012, 10:42 AM
Dwight is 6'11. He won the DPOY 3 times. This thread isnnt about how good he is compared to Wilt. Get your facts straight.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

Stumbled across this when I wrote of Dwight Howard as a 6-9 center. Some of you just could not accept the recorded fact that Dwight Howard is six-foot-nine. This, despite a link to evidence of Howard’s barefoot height. I was astounded, perplexed and in search of even more synonyms to describe a state of utter confusion, shock, and befuddlement. We have his pre-draft measurements--his pre-draft measurements! Why do you insist on listening to some sorcerer’s Magic listing?

And I could care less where the thread started, that is where multiple people took it.
Read, comprehend, continue --

lookie8
09-01-2012, 11:17 AM

Anything written by or about Wilt should be taken with much more than a grain of salt.

Raph12
09-01-2012, 02:04 PM
A lot of players have forced trades throughout the history of the NBA, this is only as big as it is, because of the media-factor.

smith&wesson
09-01-2012, 02:35 PM
well howard did resign in orlando for another year.

also wilt would eat dwights food..

asandhu23
09-01-2012, 02:48 PM
Have you guys seen Conan the Destroyer?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6xNyFoxC4U

bagwell368
09-01-2012, 02:55 PM
Maybe so, but Wilt was so much more athletic and graceful. Dont much care how pretty it looked, I just wish he didnt shoot so many fadeaways (something Dwight definitely doesnt have in his arsenal tho).

Jerry Lucas was a F/C that averaged 20+ rebounds twice in his career and is in the NBA HOF. Get some tape of him circa 1965 and tell me he's even in D1 today. Much easier to look graceful against physically inferior players.

It's true for sure that Wilt looked for his shot more before he went into his defensive monk mode towards the end. He shot too much earlier, which is a huge strike IMO. Teammates stop filling lanes and hustling when the main guy goes into "main guy" mode. When Bird went into main guy mode you had to be careful he didn't clang a pass off of your head while you were woolgathering.

I find that I'd much rather build a team to combat Wilt, then have Wilt on my team and have to contain his over indulgent personality.

Dwight has the mind set for D and for enough O, but he's no conduit to get his team to nirvana shooting the ball. This LAL thing could work out well for a few years, but as his older teammates fade away and retire LAL has to keep surrounding him with serious offensive players. If they can't at that point, they'll need to trade him. He'll never be a 29/12 guy.

bagwell368
09-01-2012, 03:03 PM
wilt never played a game without more than 10 points or 8 rebounds.

Really?

In his last season he scored 5 points in a playoff game against the Knicks, the second to last game of the regular season against the Bucks he scored 0 points.

Where can you/did you get rebounding figures for players back in those days?

StarvingKnick22
09-01-2012, 05:29 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/34789/kevin-love-and-height-liars-in-shoes

And I could care less where the thread started, that is where multiple people took it.
Read, comprehend, continue --

all that matters is how tall he is in the game.

StarvingKnick22
09-01-2012, 05:30 PM
Really?

In his last season he scored 5 points in a playoff game against the Knicks, the second to last game of the regular season against the Bucks he scored 0 points.

Where can you/did you get rebounding figures for players back in those days?

in his book

NYKalltheway
09-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Wilt Chamberlain does not deserve the shame of being mentioned in the same sentence as Dwight freaking Howard

Justin_G_Bryan
08-22-2014, 08:55 AM
Dwight is a smaller version of David Robinson. Just not as athletic, quick or offensively capable.

SLY WILLIAMS
08-22-2014, 10:03 AM
Drob was a lot more skilled player overall than Dwight in my opinion.

It is very hard for me to judge Wilt because I did not see him play live but I would not call him the original Dwight Howard.

Htownballa1622
08-22-2014, 10:13 AM
Dwight is a smaller version of David Robinson. Just not as athletic, quick or offensively capable.

Nice bump Dupe.

Shady66
08-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Wilt Chamberlain does not deserve the shame of being mentioned in the same sentence as Dwight freaking Howard
This

JasonJohnHorn
08-22-2014, 01:51 PM
There was no such thing as free agency back then. It was a completely different scenario. It wasn't until the Big O fought for free agent rights that players were actually allowed to choose where they went. So if you weren't happy where you were back then, the only way to leave was to force a trade. Period.

People don't 'hate Dwight for what he did to the Magic'. People don't like him because he acts like a child. He doesn't realize his own limits on offense, demands more touches, tries to get his coach fired, agrees to stay, then demands a trade, then gets a trade, then demands the ball more, but won't run the pick-and-roll, and then jump ships from LA. That is NOTHING like what Wilt did.

Bruno
08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
these two names should never be mentioned in the same sentence.

MTar786
08-22-2014, 05:04 PM

wait, what?

MTar786
08-22-2014, 05:21 PM
i like to think of dwight as the new version of shaq. except he's not as strong, as tall, as dominating, as offensively capable, as funny, as likable, or as worth it. Also just like how shaq is in the top 10, dwight is arguably also like top 100

5ass
08-22-2014, 05:28 PM
Lol I remember when people thought the magic got nothing for Dwight.
Vuc, harkless, Payton and possibly one more first from the Lakers and a couple of second round picks.

NYKalltheway
08-22-2014, 05:35 PM
i like to think of dwight as the new version of shaq. except he's not as strong, as tall, as dominating, as offensively capable, as funny, as likable, or as worth it. Also just like how shaq is in the top 10, dwight is arguably also like top 100

So Dwight is like Shaq but at the same time nothing like him? :D
Dwight would have been a hustler PF if he was around in the 90s. Something like Oakley, Mason, PJ Brown etc. A useful player to have on the lineup but no star. The only reason he is considered a great player today is the lack of quality bigs. He had his chance to learn some low post moves but he's missed it.
I still think that he might be the best center in the NBA today...

smith&wesson
08-22-2014, 06:34 PM
D.Howard is a clown. Every team he touches ends in turmoil.

firts he gets his coach fired.

then he forces his way out of orlando.. only to land in L.A and then bolts from there because he can't handle kobes determinition because again he is a clown.

Then he goes to Houston, doesnt help the recruit anyone... instead starts rubbing off on Harden and both now have killed the Rockets locker room. Parsons bolts..

I dont know if Wilt has this track record or if he just demanded a trade like many others do.

PurpleLynch
08-22-2014, 06:53 PM
Nah,the title is misleading. Wilt is Wilt and his story is just different from Howard's one. Plus Howard will never be like Chamberlain. Never.

5ass
08-22-2014, 07:07 PM
D.Howard is a clown. Every team he touches ends in turmoil.

firts he gets his coach fired.

then he forces his way out of orlando.. only to land in L.A and then bolts from there because he can't handle kobes determinition because again he is a clown.

Then he goes to Houston, doesnt help the recruit anyone... instead starts rubbing off on Harden and both now have killed the Rockets locker room. Parsons bolts..

I dont know if Wilt has this track record or if he just demanded a trade like many others do.

First of all Dwight was probably the reason SVG was fired, but in reality stan wasn't going to be our guy for the rebuild.
Dwight should've left the magic, he made the right decision. He wanted to win, and he put himself on a winning team. Actually the magic benefited from him asking for a trade.
In LA you say Kobe's "determination" drove him away. Come on now... did his determination drive away gasol too?

Dwight sometimes has a **** attitude, and says some stupid stuff, but its not so black and white.

JasonJohnHorn
08-22-2014, 07:15 PM

So, in other words, not like David Robinson at all outside of the fact they both played center.

mike_noodles
08-22-2014, 07:41 PM
So, in other words, not like David Robinson at all outside of the fact they both played center.

Yeah, like a cross of Robinson, Parrish, Okafor, Ibaka, Rodman and Longley. With just everything different.

THE MTL
08-22-2014, 08:32 PM

He aint the only center who forced their way to the Lakers see Jabbar and Shaq. Lakers been doing this mess for decades my dude

bagwell368
08-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Wow, I didn't know Red actually came out and would say that. Isn't that sort of a slap to Russell?

Red didn't say that. Bill and Red played with Wilt's mind to an amazing extent. Wilt didn't have the single minded ferocity to win 13 rings in a row, he would have been bored too quickly.

JEDean89
08-23-2014, 02:42 AM
People are acting like D-Howard only demanded a trade as if everyone hates him for that. In that case everyone hates Deron Williams, Melo, K-Love, and a number of other stars over the years. What Dwight did was first, demand ownership fire SVG right before he left in FA. When asked about hearing from SVG about it, Dwight basically asked the media what they were on. He then opted into his contract in order to force a trade to LA as opposed to just entering FA (which he then did a year later). He called all his teammates guys other people wouldn't want and truthfully about Dwight, his game has peaked. His stats are not great (21 PER for a superduper star? 18 pts?). Dude should be a 24, 12, 3 guy and it's crazy how his game just hasn't evolved or grown in years. The dude is a beast defensively but offensively he is nothing special, certainly not Superman. IMO a number of guys (Anthony Davis) have way overtaken him. Davis is literally every Dwight isn't.

Tony_Starks
08-23-2014, 04:00 AM
Wilt, God rest his soul, is turning over in his grave.

Dwight could actually be a better version of Bill Russell but for some reason he thinks he's Patrick Ewing...

asandhu23
08-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Red didn't say that. Bill and Red played with Wilt's mind to an amazing extent. Wilt didn't have the single minded ferocity to win 13 rings in a row, he would have been bored too quickly.

1. False. It's been mentioned plenty of times by different people that Red tried to convince Wilt to go to Harvard while he was at Overbrook so he could be picked up in territorial draft. Russell wasn't on the Celtics yet because he would be taken a season after that conversation happened.

2. Wilt didn't have the ferocity? He would have been bored? What makes you say that? Did you know him?

c.c.
08-24-2014, 09:21 AM
Put Dwight in Wilt's era and his numbers would be amazing. Put Wilt in this today's game and his numbers would be ____________. The competition, scouting, rules, advanced defense, and the resting of star players during blowouts is a huge reason for Chamberlain stats and dominance.

Lil Rhody
08-24-2014, 10:22 AM
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_maz7q5xpd01qe1x8qo1_1280.jpg&imgrefurl=http://thescore.tumblr.com/post/32350362176/wilt-chamberlain-arnold-schwarzenegger&h=1000&w=769&tbnid=eI2_uNh1BNUalM:&zoom=1&docid=BJyX5j_Ln48yPM&hl=en&ei=6_T5U6vdKciLyATajoKQCQ&tbm=isch&client=safari&ved=0CCUQMygBMAE