PDA

View Full Version : Classy vs. Trashy

jam
08-31-2012, 04:20 PM
The US Open, the final major of the year in pro tennis, is in full swing.

I cannot help but be taken aback by how well spoken and how gracious the players are in interviews.

When Kim Clijsters retired, her opponent Laura Robson gave her a hug and thanked her for being a role model, face to face. It was awesome. Opponents ALWAYS shake hands after a match.

Contrast this with pro basketball, where it is routine for big names to simply walk off the court after a major loss, unwilling to shake hands, unwilling to grant interviews.

Many of the interviews are strewn with gutter trash talking.

Will it ever be possible for the NBA to take on even some of the class of pro tennis?

ThunderousDemon
08-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Anyone for tennis?

heyman321
08-31-2012, 05:06 PM
No cause NBA players are straight up thugs yo.

JasonJohnHorn
08-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Anyone for tennis?

Wouldn't that be nice... doooo... do do do do dooo.... do do do do doooo...

KnickaBocka.44
09-01-2012, 02:49 PM
The US Open, the final major of the year in pro tennis, is in full swing.

I cannot help but be taken aback by how well spoken and how gracious the players are in interviews.

When Kim Clijsters retired, her opponent Laura Robson gave her a hug and thanked her for being a role model, face to face. It was awesome. Opponents ALWAYS shake hands after a match.

Contrast this with pro basketball, where it is routine for big names to simply walk off the court after a major loss, unwilling to shake hands, unwilling to grant interviews.

Many of the interviews are strewn with gutter trash talking.

Will it ever be possible for the NBA to take on even some of the class of pro tennis?

It's a matter of culture and up bringing. NBA players used to be more respectful of one another but those days are in the past, I'm sad to say.

koreancabbage
09-01-2012, 08:27 PM
I think its a legitimate case. If you don't think shaking hands after a series finale is classy, then I don't know how you behaved at the dinner table as a child.

Hockey players should have it worse if body checks, bickering, and more physical play are a norm, but yet all line up to shake hands, even if they lost the playoff series- that's class.

current day basketball players/stars are divas and cat fight to death.

ebbucsfan
09-01-2012, 08:35 PM
They shouldn't be forced to shake hands unless its little league. Being forced to shake hands doesnt make it class, only shaking hands because you want to do it because you respect your opponent even though you beat/lost to them is class.

koreancabbage
09-01-2012, 08:53 PM
They shouldn't be forced to shake hands unless its little league. Being forced to shake hands doesnt make it class, only shaking hands because you want to do it because you respect your opponent even though you beat/lost to them is class.

thats why its called class. noone is forcing them.

jam
09-02-2012, 04:48 AM
Despite the galactic sized egos, I still love the game of basketball. I always will. But when you see professionals in another sport conduct themselves in a manner which conveys respect for the game and for one another as competitors, one can't help but be saddened by some of the disgusting depths that many players sink to in speech and action.

The NHL is a joke. When they are actually playing the game it's a sight to behold. I just cannot convey in words how idiotic they look when they fight however.

How many classy superstars are in the league today? Aside from a well past his prime Tim Duncan, I can't name one. David Robinson is retired. Stockton is retired. Steve Nash. I wouldn't even put Dirk on the list.

I don't want or need these guys to be role models. They don't have to be as eloquent as malcolm x or martin luther king jr.

But it's a damn shame when gutter trash like spree tells females in the stands: "suck my d---" repeatedly on national television.

BlinkManJan02
09-02-2012, 06:05 AM
tennis?!??? I opened this thread for tennnis ?!?!?????

smiddy012
09-02-2012, 07:11 AM
Yeah I wish the NBA could be classy like the MLB or NHL... now those guys truly respect each other.

koreancabbage
09-02-2012, 08:08 AM
Despite the galactic sized egos, I still love the game of basketball. I always will. But when you see professionals in another sport conduct themselves in a manner which conveys respect for the game and for one another as competitors, one can't help but be saddened by some of the disgusting depths that many players sink to in speech and action.

The NHL is a joke. When they are actually playing the game it's a sight to behold. I just cannot convey in words how idiotic they look when they fight however.

How many classy superstars are in the league today? Aside from a well past his prime Tim Duncan, I can't name one. David Robinson is retired. Stockton is retired. Steve Nash. I wouldn't even put Dirk on the list.

I don't want or need these guys to be role models. They don't have to be as eloquent as malcolm x or martin luther king jr.

But it's a damn shame when gutter trash like spree tells females in the stands: "suck my d---" repeatedly on national television.

look at how the NBA players fight first and foremost, compared to how NHL players fight, people actually get bloodied up. its cat fights in the NBA. We all the NBA or basketball has become a wussy sport with actions on the court to warrant a whistle and stars looking for calls.

I like basketball but the players have shown the least amount of class for each other in any sport, arguably

Jint.
09-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Sportsmanship forum

Hustla23
09-02-2012, 11:29 AM
The only tennis players I know are preppy, well to do nerds.

There's your answer.

Byronicle
09-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Tennis was originally played by the nobles back in my time

theheatles
09-02-2012, 08:10 PM
good effort, good job!